[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/n/ - Transportation

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 90 posters in this thread.

05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
06/20/16New 4chan Banner Contest with a chance to win a 4chan Pass! See the contest page for details.
[Hide] [Show All]

File: bike.jpg (412 KB, 1920x1440)
412 KB
412 KB JPG
>be poor student
>seek advice on forums on which road bike to get
>everyone responds with over $5000 bikes

why are cyclists such insufferable gate keeping cunts
>>
did you state a budget or were you like "hay br0z wich raod biek beast pla0x hlp????!12/"
>>
>>1485076
If you're a poor student, a 90s MTB on slicks is the answer to any bike-related question.
>>
>>1485087
even if you're not a poor student it's the answer
>>
>>1485076
I fucking found an Outdoors magazine summer issue talking about roadbikes. The only three they recommended in their gear page were all $3000 minimum.

Bicycling is weird because it is so simple. Most people don't think twice and treat bike riding as a simple activity and don't give a shit about the bike.
Then there is the exact opposite where people go gear obsessed and convolute what is otherwise a simple machine.
Then there are people in the middle who just like to tinker.

If you need a college bike you should spend $100 on an old roadbike or 90's rigid mtb, put a new chain and/or new tires, and treat it like absolute shit until you graduate. Afterwhich you should toss it in the trash.
>>
>>1485076
what forums?
I don't believe you
>>
>>1485107
that's true, also a lot of people literally don't want advice and certainly not anything from an enthusiast's perspective. Anything they don't already know/understand is meaningless to them. They really just want positive reinforcement about their arbitrary and unfounded biases and handholding towards the most obvious, inexpensive, easy choice which they'd have come to anyway.

like the multitudes of people who come here asking what cheap bike that is an entry level hybrid from their local shop they should buy
>>
>>1485076
If you have a Decathlon shop that does delivery to your place, you can get one of their cheapo road bikes for ~300 usd and then upgrade as needed.
>>
>>1485076
>ask rich man's sport forum about rich man's sport bike
shoulda just posted on /n/ and been told OTS or rigidmtbwithslicks also BBG will always point you towards used options if you ask for it.
>>
>>1485087
What slicks though?
Modern tire selection is just about dead for 26" and all that's left are some of the most popular mtb tires, hideously sluggish "tour" tires and chink cruiser tires (with the latter two categories actually rolling worse than modern xc tires in spite of being generally slicker). Even freestyle tires are beginning to sputter out and be either really shitty or some whizzbang $100 really hard to find thing.

Fuck, if they just made some of the most practical gravel tires like Terrenos or Gravelkings in 26" with folding beads they'd make serious bank. I think there was a Gravelking SK at some point but it's gone now.
>>
>>1485115
you can get 26" folding paselas on amazon dude
infact there are a lot of good 26" tyres
maxxis dth
conti town & country

wtf are you even talking about
>>
>>1485119
People don't realize or understandably appreciate being treated as 'yet another' in a long line of bullshit when they're not responsible for or aware of their fore-bearers
>>
>>1485076
Just go on bikesdirect and pick some road bike for $300-$400, poorfag.
>>
>>1485125
>paselas
1.75" max, gib 2.0-2.2 version pls
> town & country
slow as fuck
>dth
this works in terms of sizes and rolling well but i wish they made a hookworm in like 2.2 because the dth's thread is pretty shallow in terms of durability for a commute tire; a folding holy roller would be awesome as an all-terrain option

There's also getting walletraped by Schwalbe or René Herse, I guess.
>>
>>1485136
>slow as fuck
>hideously sluggish
>chink
>practical gravel tires
>this works in terms of sizes and rolling well but pretty shallow in terms of durability for a commute tire
>would be awesome as an all-terrain option
>There's also getting walletraped by Schwalbe or René Herse, I guess.

lmao
anon

so you want
>fast
>highly durable
>cheap
>>
>>1485076
You obviously haven't done your research/lurked, otherwise you would be in bike buy general thread and not here.

Buy a cheap shitter and allow 100ish to fit new cables/outers, tires, and a new chain at the very least.

If you want a bike for fitness, ask for help finding a second hand alloy road bike and canons in /BBG/ will find you something in your area.
>>
>>1485076
just do some googling there are hella bikes in the 2-3k range poorfag
>>
>>1485115
This has been answered: schwalbe kojaks aren't expensive and a 2" tire is about 400g.
Pair that with supersonic or latex inner and you have a very fast and comfy tire.
>>
>>1485139
Imagine 70% of the way in those three categories and yeah. That's why I picked the GK as an example. I know you can buy those uber tubeless marathons and get everything for the corresponding price tag, I just wish manufacturers didn't shit up their city tires with integrated liners or that I didn't have to go for a race tire like the dth at the price point.

>>1485145
Actually useful answer and I've considered them, but I haven't found much information on how they cope with a bit of dirt; I think they're alright on wet pavement? Big Bens also look interesting as an all-terrain option that still rolls good.
>>
I don't think OP is being sincere or he would actually be posting in his thread
>>
>>1485110
>the most obvious, inexpensive, easy choice which they'd have come to anyway.
I think you're vastly overestimating people's intelligence. Most people will either buy a BSO new, a terrible 2nd hand bike that has way too many problems, or get shilled into a bike that's not ideal by their LBS because they want to clear stock
>>1485110
You make some good points, thankfully threads like /BBG/ have rules for new people so anons can find them a suitable bike efficiently.
You can do your part by reporting or ignoring low quality posts in those threads, and that's about it.
>>
>>1485115
>Modern tire selection is just about dead for 26" and all that's left are some of the most popular mtb tires, hideously sluggish "tour" tires and chink cruiser tires

nah man. schwalbe marathon supreme 26x2.0 will be fast as fuck.
rene herse makes 26" tires too, even faster
Paselas also available
>>
>>1485149
They handle gravel and dirt just fine, but like any slick tire you need your pressure a bit lower so your contact patch is big enough.

I've only used them in damp conditions and they hold the road very well and are very supple and fast for the money. Like just about any tire, you need to be mindful of white lines and steel road plates, tram lines etc.
Very good tire all round, I think I got mine for 30 dollarydoos each delivered for the 2" lads.
>>
>>1485076
You can get a used road bike with good hardware for 500-700 if you look patiently
>>
would any of you buy a 100$ bike
>>
>>1485188
You mean new? No.
Uses? Yes, I have one.
If you do your own wrenching and have an eye for what needs to be fixed when buying you'll be fine.
>>
basically the answer to this question is always to buy a bike that is normally $500+ used on craigslist for $1-200ish on craigslist depending on what the best deal is you can find and whether you want a road bike/mountain bike ect. If your budget is small than brands and all that shit really doesn't matter and anything that's normally in that upper price range will be great for your needs.
>>
File: IMG_20200503_021523.png (3.04 MB, 1305x1039)
3.04 MB
3.04 MB PNG
Just get the bike you want anon lmao
>>
>>1485188
I got my bike for that price
Pic related
>>
>>1485236
pic above?
>>
>>1485149
I run 26x2 kojaks on my gravel/camping bike and they're fine on dirt and damp so long as I don't go balls out in the corners. I really wanna run those 26x2.3 Rene Herse tires tubeless on that bike but then my wheels/tires would cost more than the rest of the bike did
>>1485188
Ya why not?
>>
>>1485246
nothing i just though maybe you forgot to post a pic
>>
>>1485188
I bough an old peugeot for 50€, replaced the shitplex deraileurs with Zeus ones for another 50, so yeah, I did.
>>
>>1485076
Cyclists are not different from any hobbyist group. Try to ask for an advice on sound equipment on a audiophile forum. They will answer that headphones which cost less then $1000 produce just static.

In the meantime I listen to lossy MP3s on my $30, cracked Koss headphones and think they are phenomenal.

Good road bike costs below $1000, possibly closer to $500 depending on your local market. Anything above is chasing ever more ephemeral grams and "marginal" aero gains.
>>
>>1485235
Adjust your B-tension, wrap your bars, and take off that ludicrous computer sensor.
Other than that, would ride/10 assuming the driveline is ok.
>>
>>1485267
I bought a decatlon bike for 750eur, and the only bad thing about it is the rear brake, which is located near the bottom bracket.Bought it because the rest is really nice,shimano 105 components,UCI frame and good warranty.
Similar new bikes from higher end brand cost 400-500 eur more than what I paid, and I'm not sure those bikes are 40% better than my non serious bike brand, because I have done rides up to 200km and the bike is comfy and rides well.

If you are not racing I don't know why would you pay 4000-5000, there is no real reason to bought it other than wanting to have some mid-high tier bike.
>>
>>1485136
>holy roller
got these on my dj. fucking lovely tires.
>>
>>1485076
avoid walmart bikes with suspension, other than that just get whatever fits and feels good to ride. if you really get into it you can buy newer/higher spec stuff later.
>>
>>1485076
IGNORE THESE RETARDS

Just buy a used steel road bike from the 80s or 90s off Craigslist. If you’re poor but you want to be decently fast you should be riding something like a 2x6/7/8 speed, downtube shifter, caliper brake 700c. A bike like this is as realistically durable and problem free as the 90s MTB that gets shilled as the premium poorfag transportation around here but you can actually go fast. If you actually have a medium amount of money buy a more recent steel road bike like a pacer or smoothie.
>>
>>1485076
>Be poor student
>Looking at brand new fucking bikes instead of fixing up a used one
Let me guess, gender studies?
>>
>>>/n/bbg
rigid 90s mtb or old ten speed road bike
200 dollars on craigslist
literally unironically better than a new 5,000 dollar bike
>>
>>1485115
Semislicks>slicks. Panaracer Pasela PT.
>>1485125
>conti
Hell no, fuck conti.
>>
File: DSCF7728_1024x.jpg (185 KB, 1024x683)
185 KB
185 KB JPG
>>1485115
Panaracer still makes the Mach SS in 26x2, tho now it's called the Simworks Homage 26. Basically it was the Gravelkang SK of the 90s
>>
Just get a single speed steel bike

>B-but muh hills
Get stronger
>M-muh cadence
Is this a race?

Single speeds are reliable and cheap
>>
>>1485434
Enjoy your exploding knees I guess.
>>
>>1485115
Schwalbe city jets 26x1.5 or 1.75
>>
>>1485434
The only thing more insufferable than a Fred roadie is some poser on a fixie.
>>
>>1485076
I have a $7000 bike, it's fucking amazing.

That's probably why people recommend them.

I've got podiums in serious races on 105 specced bikes. This would be my baseline if you want something you can't blame during club rides.

If you're not a semi-serious amatuer, then any old bike will do. I''d go for something with modern gears if you can afford it.
>>
File: 777-schwinn-varsity-150-1.jpg (254 KB, 2000x1500)
254 KB
254 KB JPG
>>1485076
did you really want to hear $15 1970s ten speed
or a $30 1980s rigid bso mtb
people dont want to hear that, no glamor

there are two kind of student
those who can learn
and those who are just in a kindergarten for tweens
>>
>>1485245
Yep
>>
>>1485136
>2.0-2.2 version pls
>slow as fuck
yea your mind is completely gone
cant even keep your story strait
>>
>>1485433
water bottle cage?
>>
>>1485076
Go on Craigslist and get a decent used 5 year old carbon bike with decent groupset, have it checked out by a reputable bike shop to make sure it won’t break in half the first time you ride it, and spend a few bucks putting new chain, tires, bb, cables Etc. on it if needed. Shouldn’t cost you more than like a grand if you do it right, and it will be as good as pretty much entry level road bike you could buy from the LBS or BSO outlet. In fact, if you ride it often enough and with enough effort, you’ll probably be faster than a lot of the guys who suggest you ride a $5k+ aero Fred sled.
>>
>>1485600
third kind of student
learning in rural college town with no used market
I just don't understand how you people keep forgetting this and cite your used market as gospel.
The ONLY used bikes around here are walmart bikes for $80.
People don't bike if there's no infrastructure, dipshits.
>>
>>1485644
you never travel to a city?
>>
>>1485647
Why would I do that?
>>
>>1485648
to buy a bicycle
>>
>>1485652
Like hell I'm getting mugged or cheated.
>>
>>1485653
what are you studying ?
>>
just go to a pawn shop and pick something out that has functional gearing and brakes. most ive seen have been around 100 bucks canadian but rarely have decent tubes installed and often have balding tires. you can get new tubes and tires for 5$ a pop basically anywhere. maybe spend an extra 20 bucks getting dollar store shit like bells or a bag to slap on. a bike is yours for under 150$ and having to keep it going will teach you very quickly how to git gud at maintenance, which you can do for free and largely with just a set of allen keys and a few screwdrivers (also available at the dollar store, no sense getting high impact drivers when everything is only ever going to be hand-tight)

if you want one new just get any random off the rack shit from a department store aka Canadian Tire Special. they even come with disc brakes and lights now usually for between 250-500 bux. i find the build quality is usually crap though and used stuff has the Survivorship Bias going for it -- if it's old but still good enough to get put on display in a used shit store, it's probably fairly robust.

>>1485643
>more than a grand

you're the kind of massive kike op is complaining about
>>
>>1485644
>The ONLY used bikes around here are walmart bikes for $80.
BSO survival guide:
>rigid or hardtail only
>aluminum wheels
>V-brake or disc, the former somewhat preferable at the bottom-end
>make sure it fits you
>make sure the stem and seatpost aren't seized; grease them after you get the bike
>repack bearings (hubs, bottom bracket, headset) often
>keep drivetrain clean and lubricated

Turd polishing tips:
>invest in decent tires, brake pads and pedals (no need to get fancy either)
>avoid or replace plastic brake levers with all-metal
>alloy seatpost and handlebars instead of steel are a massive weight saving upgrade (again, no need to get fancy)

>People don't bike if there's no infrastructure, dipshits.
tell that to most of the 3rd world
>>
>>1485655
Gender Studies
>>
>>1485658
>plastic brake levers
damn people actually do that?
>>
File: G0968855.jpg (1.4 MB, 3791x2537)
1.4 MB
1.4 MB JPG
>>1485644
>People don't bike if there's no infrastructure, dipshits.
>>
>>1485685
You'd be amazed at how common it is on bikes that cheap, even Shimano has plastic levers on their Tourney stuff. Sometimes the body is plastic and the lever is alloy, for some reason (though when the plastic is cosmetic and underneath it the body is sheet steel I guess it's fine).
I've also seen plastic headset locknuts. That actually made me wince.
>>
File: Celeste_533_800.png (200 KB, 533x800)
200 KB
200 KB PNG
>>1485606
looks like a velocity bottle trap in celeste
>>
>>1485656
I said it shouldn’t cost more than a grand. Probably less than $800 or even $600 if you’re lucky. I wouldn’t go all out and get a $100 road bike period, at that price point you’re looking at BSO, old shit you won’t be able to fix or broken. But I’m guessing you ride around on Fixie dumpster dive special and envy people who can afford $7000 40 lb hipstershit.
>>
>>1485686
>Posts a downhill bike
>One of the most infrastructure dependant type of bike
>>
>>1485763
>there's no such thing as a college town with no used bikes around. you're probably just one of those autistic school shooter types who refuses to go on the normal social media that your classmates use
I went to undergrad in the middle of bumfuck nowhere, USA and there was no real used bike market. The closest craigslist hubs were all at least a 1.5 hour drive away, the town was incredibly small with an aging population of boomers, and 99% of students with bikes were on hand-me-down BSOs from former students or junk their parents bought from Walmart.
>>
>>1485724
all you need is a hill to go down
you don't even need that you can ride it anyway
>>
>>1485873
not at all, need some kind of work to get a path actually downhill-able.
>>
>>1485644
oh shit gonna have to go up market
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Vilano-Fixed-Gear-Fixie-Single-Speed-Road-Bike/44785601
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Critical-Cycles-Fixie-Bike-1-speed-Freewheel-Fixed-Gear-w-Pursuit-Bar/130311321
or get a dodgy deal on facebook / craigslist

bso have barely functioning derailleurs and brakes, either requiring replacement or a lot of adjustment
and the frames have terrible ergonomics and handling so their is no smooth upgrade path
it would almost be better to make your own bike from tractor parts or something

>People don't bike if there's no infrastructure
that does not stop dentists from road hogging
if there are any cycling clubs in your area they may be able to help you by offloading an old worn road bike on you
but must likely they know what they got and will high ball you if they dont like you
>>
>>1485693
this can hold some stainless steel drink bottles
a little loose but its close enough that you can pad the bottle out with electrical tape
>>
>>1485076
a lot of guys into road bikes don't know how to work on them

i came from high performance guns and cars so bikes are like ikea furniture to me low effort and low skill machinery

i built my own from the frame up, i asked people on forums and shit and they said it wasn't possible and that "labor costs of having a local bike shop assemble it into a ike outweighs the costs of bying a trek"

it wasn't

but there are a whole lot of parts compatibility issues that i expect a lot of people without my engineering background and education would probably give up on
>>
File: 1421919043129.gif (116 KB, 277x400)
116 KB
116 KB GIF
>>1485930
>but there are a whole lot of parts compatibility issues that i expect a lot of people without my engineering background and education would probably give up on
>>
>>1485930
>labor costs of having a local bike shop assemble it into a bike outweighs the costs of buying a trek
that might be true if one lucks out and the bike is not assembled with a fatal flaw .eg cross threaded bottom bracket shell
on the lower end of things and even toward mid rage of cost bikes are often assembled with minimum effort and attention to detail
al tho its true that you pay shit you get shit its almost more down to the attitude of the seller than how much is payed for the service
the only saving grace being that the parts a new enough to compensate for poor adjustment
a quick adjustment should not be able to double or triple the performance of brakes and shifting but too often it does
and from the factory the bearings are dryer than the sahara desert

>engineering background and education would probably give up on
did you have to fabricate any parts ? or is it more towards the tinkering side of things

>>1485934
I wonder what kind of frankenbike was made
>>
>>1485930
fuck you, fuck out of /n/, sieg.
>>
>>1485941
i had to lathe a 1 1/8" to 1.5" adapter for a tapered headset i bought

you could probably buy one or pay someone to make it

many frames are aluminum so its very easy to re-cut threads on the bottom bracket shell or buy a new one if you bought a used frame and it came stripped

6061 on the bottom brackets so they take GTAW like butter and even a novice could replace it if you fabricate up a jig

----
the bike that was made as a simple road bike, frame up. shimano groupset, 105 derail, ultegra brakes, ultegra hollowtech 2 crankset, and microshift shifter

i also have vision bars, and profile design extensions and brake levers for it
the shifters i used on the TT setup were shimano? idr i sold jst the shifters
>>
in the time i built the bike though i got into 3d printing as i have a certificate in autodesk programs from college i earned as an engineering student.

so i was excited to try fusion 360 that came out, since i earned my certification and wanted to see how shit like cura worked

so i bet i could print many of the plastic components on a bike now, bar end plugs tha actually fit, cages, phone mounts etc
>>
>>1485188
I've bought three bikes and they were all sub $200, one sub $150. I've been given many free bikes.
>>
>>1485960
Dude sounds neat. Send a pic of ur like?
>>
>>1485930
Agree, for example one of my local bike shops is managed by this dudebro PRO racer oldfag, he knows his shit but omg he is just so insufferable, like dude, I dont give a shit if my 1984 peugeot is "sacrilege" with a cheap shimano tourney I jerryrigged into, I aint buying a $400 old ass campy just for original old school "cred" when shitmano works just as well, also I just wanna roll on the old fucker around my town, not race the tour le fag
>>
>>1485960
based. u should learn tig weld and CNC operation, its not a big deal once you learn how the machine chooches through the metal
>it is easier than learning rim building
>>
>>1485110
im pretty sure that means they came to the wrong place for the question then.

If you go on a shaving website to find out razors without being specific you won't find them recommending mach 3s or fusions. You will be recommended Merkur 43cs, Feather AS-D2, with Feather or Silver Blue blades, Barrister and Man, and Declaration Grooming soap and $30-$40 aftershave to finish the set.

When you want something simple the best answer doesn't necessarily come from the big enthusiast as they think anything from their idea of entry level is crap. And there is a difference between simple, and entry level.
>>
>>1486187
>a shaving website
excuse me, what?
>>
File: 1142764942108.jpg (321 KB, 800x800)
321 KB
321 KB JPG
>>1486188
>he doesn't know about the shaving autism community
>>
>>1485076
>>1485107
get something you like from bikesdirect.com
by far the highest value you can get for a serious entry level bike. theres nothing wrong with their frames, and you can get nice components based on price.
>>
>>1485716
>But I’m guessing you ride around on Fixie dumpster dive special and envy people who can afford $7000 40 lb hipstershit.
fixies are for fags and i use a mountain bike but basically yes. my current bike is from a pawn shop and my previous one actually was indeed a collection of hand-me-down/dumpsterdive parts and it was so shit one night i was riding, the rear wheel siezed, so i dismounted and stomped the shit out of it before throwing it down a sidestreet and just walking home
>>
>>1485685
Only Walmart, target and bikes direct
>>
>>1486187
Only autists think this way,I have a merkur, Parker and several other de razors and I still recommend Gillette.

I have a road bike I built from the frame up and I'd still recommend a newbie maybe not take on that task.

I have a cz75 po1 and a aero precision ar-10

But I would still recommend a 21 year old buy a Glock, or even m&p shield and a psa ar15
>>
>>1486326
I've also been posting on /n/, /k/,/g/ and fa for over a decade.... would an 18 year old zoomers know how to build a PC probably not....if it's his first one he will fuck it up
>>
>>1485076
>road bike
You've posted an /asp/ racing bicycle, not a bicycle useful for road transportation.
>>
>>1486329
I have never seen a Trek Madone in a WWE wrestling match wtf you on bruh
>>
>>1486329
that's his point
>>
>>1486332
Well assuming a single human passenger, we need to know his loading requirements. Unless he's a bin chicken then weight is the primary load limit, not volume. Which means he should express his need in cases of beer (9 litre plus bottle weight) required. Personally I go for a big wheel butchers arrangement for a three case bike, one on the back, two on the front.

Pretty much any decent OTS/90M/rigid 700 hybrid with the right mounting points suits that.

the 0 case problem is the most difficult, where it is spectacles, testicles, wallet and watch plus passenger.

Also normally you post a near match to what you actually need instead of being a total shit cunt who has never heard OTS/90sM in their life.
>>
>>1486336
...what the hell are you going on about?
>>
>>1486281
Kek
For real though, that’s why you spend a little more. Doesn’t have to be car money, just enough that you can enjoy the ride and not have homeless people passing you on nicer bikes than yours.
>>
File: 20200108_150409.jpg (3.43 MB, 4032x3024)
3.43 MB
3.43 MB JPG
>>1485076

Because they are all skinny pussies who can't lift more than a 10lb bike. When you purchase any bicycle over $1k, you are mostly purchasing a lighter frame/components. You also get better brakes too/shifting, but bikes below $1k for a beginner are going to function perfectly fine.

The answer to these threads is always to buy a used road bike on craigslist/facebook marketplace that has been lightly used and that is your size.
>>
>>1487874
>skinny tires
>trek
>crabon
this is NOT a race! you don't need that, fred. they don't use those in amsterdam.
also look at those RACING valves on those tubes, they don't even make you go faster ugh. why are you so gullible?
>>
>>1485076
I have a $99 red onespeed cheap thing from WalMart that works fine for four miles around my place with some hills, been using it for a couple of years
>>
>>1487876
I know you're memeing, but people unironically prefer Schrader valves to Presta?
>>
>>1487893
Schrader is "normal" from a cager perspective, and to the unraced anything that challenges the cager specific version of "normal" is "EXTREME SPORTS COMPETITIVE RACING BIKE ELITISTM"

It is important to remember that unracers have a profound hatred of cycling so anything they perceive as "bicycle specific" can trigger angry and incoherent emotional outbursts.
>>
>>1486323
>>1486326
>>1486327
fuck off seig
>>
>>1487893
Schrader remains industry standard for the last 100+ years for a reason anon, and fyi, not the degenerate stagnant low-load bike industry but far broader. Presta is constructively inferior in every single way, and its only niche is when you absolutely positively need rims thinner than your thumb.
>b-but you can deflate it by hand!
Jam an allen for 5 into schrader valve. You do carry at least a multitool with you when biking, do you?
>m-muh pressure!
Schraders hold pressures bicyclists can't even comprehend, and in far more failiure critical applications like aircraft tires.
>y-you're just a gorilla that can't handle delicate prestas!
You're a dork with a bike that can't be manhandled. I bet it's made of plastic too.
>>
>>1488117
>can't afford a good bike
>reeee it's plastic
Let me guess you posted that from a 15 year old, cum-encrusted thinkpad that has 256 MB of RAM and takes 45 seconds to refresh this page
>>
>>1488121
>can't afford a good bike
Yes, titanium is really fucking expensive. Have to settle on lesser metals.
>15-year old thinkpad
Mine is only 6 years old, but I'm sure it can live to 15 and well beyond.
>>
>>1488134
Enjoy your headtube catastrophically separating from your downtube because Mr. Lynskey had a little too much mellow corn and forgot to refill the argon bottle that day
>>
File: Right . . ..jpg (69 KB, 562x530)
69 KB
69 KB JPG
>>1488137
>>
>>1488137
Ditto to you except because Mr Wang decided to sniff some of the glue he was supposed to put on the joint.
>>
>>1487893
Presta valves are expensive, they break, and they need constant maintenance.
Schrader just werks and keeps werking. And it performs the same exact function.
Presta valves are for people who need attention
>>
>>1487893
What is the advantage of presta valves?
>>
File: boc trk 400.jpg (108 KB, 792x489)
108 KB
108 KB JPG
i got this one for 400 yuro... and i took it on fucking monthly fee so i wont even fuckin feel that i bought it
>>
>>1488314
>Mr Wang
that's a weird way to address a 10 year old girl
>>
>>1488846
more fragile
harder to inflate
comes loose on its own
available in a greater range of lengths to suit deep section rims
>>
>>1488846
Smaller hole = stronger rim
The real question is what is the advantage of using a truck tire valve on a bicycle. There is none aside from being more non-threatening to boomers who hate bicycles
>>
>>1489668
have Presta wheels
but only Schrader valved tubes
get out drill bit and file
>yeeeep
>>
>>1489668
Pretty sure all rims have 30+ holes for the spokes
slightly bigger diameter hole is not gonna change anything.

Compability with everything else, ability to use gas pump air compressors.
>>
File: viper learn from me.jpg (160 KB, 1076x1078)
160 KB
160 KB JPG
OP try doing a search on gumtree/facebook/ebay (make sure "include description" is checked) for Ultegra/Tiagra/105 (decent groupsets), then make sure the bike is your size and has decent reviews. Plenty of aluminium framed bikes with carbon forks in this range for £270-£400. If you're quick on the draw you can find something for as low as £200, or a fully carbon bike within the same price range. Attractive deals get snapped up quickly so it helps if you're an autist who can refresh a page throughout the day, or at least set up an instant alert. I don't think you specifically need to chase after specific brands and models as long as the groupset is legit.

t. got a bike that sold for £1000 new, goes for £600ish used (£450-£500 pre-Corona), for £320 this way
>>
>>1486327
I had no problem building my first PC when I was 16.
>>
>>1486327
lmao, there's nothing difficult about building a PC. If you have half a working brain you can do it just fine.
>>
>>1490954
yea its easy as right now
either it works or it dont, not much else to be done
no jumpers to move no IRQ to set
>>
>>1489668
>The real question is what is the advantage of using a truck tire valve on a bicycle.

Compatibility with fucking every pump, compressor and pressure gauge everywhere.

I ride presta because roadbike but damn that shit is annoying as fuck. A 'special' kid. Only logical argument for presta is rim width, beyond that it's a velofag argument for sake of being special and different and making life unnecessarily complicated.
>>
>>1488736
>Presta valves are expensive
>need constant maintenance.
what the fuck are you smoking?
>>
https://www.bikeradar.com/features/this-is-why-its-time-to-stop-using-presta-valves/
>>
File: 1576787133798.jpg (62 KB, 946x750)
62 KB
62 KB JPG
>>1485076
Because like with any hobby 95% of people are just out enjoying what they have while 5% of obsessive autists spend all day on forums.
Like another anon said, you are probably completely happy with your $10 earphones but if you went to an audiophile forum and asked for advice they would tell you anything under $1000 was throwing your money away.
>>
>>1485076
There isbsome chinese-made bicycles that are quite cheap and will get the job done
I bought one myself for around 200$
Im running with it for a year now , heavy riding and no problem yet
>>
File: coomer gospel.jpg (2.42 MB, 3224x2482)
2.42 MB
2.42 MB JPG
>>1490991
that pic made my day, thanks anon, good post as well
>>
>>1485188
It's a bike, not a car.
>>
>>1485930

If you didn't smelt your own steel/aluminum and weld your own frame than you're a poser psuedointel bitch, anyone with have a brain can assemble a bicycle from the ground up.
>>
>>1485188
i did and am happy with it
>>
>>1485104
that old roadbike probably cost $1000+ when it was new
people don't appreciate what goes into a nice bike while at the same time you're happy spending $1000+ on an ar-15 or $100000+ on a car, there's such a mental disconnect
>>
>>1490991
but $100+ earphones are genuinely nicer stop being such a cheapskate
>>
>>1487874
>The answer to these threads is always to buy a used road bike on craigslist/facebook marketplace that has been lightly used and that is your size.
but people don't want a 3 year old, barely ridden, well maintained, stored indoors allez elite tiagra for $500, they want any old ass mtb that will fit their arbitrary budget
>>
>>1485076
in my town there's a company that takes confiscated/abandoned bikes and fixes them up and sells them to students for $70 each or something like that. they're hobo tier but will get you from point a to point b.
>>
>wah road bikes are expensive
meanwhile
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZyCltUZNg8A

you anglos are weird just because it's a "road" bike doesn't mean it's the default bike you should ride on the road, it's a road RACING bike and in other countries it's known as a racing bike or country road bike or highway bike, if you can find a decent cheap used one then sure, but if you don't want to pay to play then you should be looking at other types of bikes like maybe a hybrid
>>
>>1492339
bottom brackets, headsets and hubs are a bit mysterious when you're new to it. people don't spoonfeed you with complete parts lists like when building a pc. most roadies and mountain bikers buy prebuilt bikes. fixies are easier to build yourself. prebuilt wheelsets are usually preferred unless you really want to go custom but then you can have a professional wheelbuilder build them for you.
>>
/g/ fags shit on razer and say they're overpriced but they gladly paid upwards of $200 for logitech g pro wireless
that cognitive dissonance
i think some of them might be shills though

my original 1800dpi deathadder lasted for 4 years until the left mouse button failed
i've had my 3500dpi deathadder for 8 years but getting some double clicking issues sometimes
gonna get the new deathadder v2 because it's a good mouse, it's a spiritual successor to the microsoft intellimouse explorer 3.0 which i had before the deathadder

if you buy some chinese aliexpress james donkey or redragon mouse to save a few bucks, is it really worth it, maybe if you're a kid with no source of income whatsoever, but like if your mouse dies within 2 years then you're screwed and have to buy a new one, while a razer mouse is warranties for 2 years, and it's questionable if you would get 8 years worth of mileage out of a cheap chinese mouse
>>
>>1485685
>>1485689
>>1486323
Faggots detected, look up what Magura makes some of its brake masters out of. "carbotecture" is your keyword here.
>>
>>1494610
We're talking Nylon being used for clamp, body and lever here you ditz. Magura doesn't go and give you a carbon 3-finger lever and mounting clamp either, because they know full well it's a retarded idea.
>>
>>1494552
problem is with razer shit is that they install shitware on your shitstation which adds more shit on top of your shit. then again I have an old steelseries rival that's more cum than mouse at this point so whatever
>>
>>1494625
All my steelseries mice have been amazing, my rival is probably in the same state as yours, but steelseries engine is a critically broken security flaw (prevents core isolation memory integrity from running)
>>
File: 20200529_202314.jpg (2.24 MB, 4032x1960)
2.24 MB
2.24 MB JPG
>>1485076
OP, i will sell you this bad boy for the small sum of 125.00
>>
>>1494625
true, i just have the legacy driver for my 3.5g deathadder so it never bothered me. deathadder v2 has onboard memory so i'm pretty sure you don't need to run synapse except to configure your profiles.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2wzweaCawE
>>
File: Capture.png (95 KB, 1196x531)
95 KB
95 KB PNG
cheapskates btfo
>>
>>1485600
>$15 1970s ten speed
>or a $30 1980s rigid bso mtb
lmao people where i live ask $200 for any bottom tier old road bike, up to $1000 for a """"nice"""" vintage road bike, $100+ for a bso, $60 for a pile of parts from a heavily rusted military bike
>>
File: serval concerned smug.png (174 KB, 358x358)
174 KB
174 KB PNG
>>1495398
People can ask what they like, and it's your fault for not bargaining it down to a reasonable value
>>
>>1495398
well things are getting bad
your lucky if there is any metal in the gears and brakes
>>
>>1495635
i'm not an unreasonable cheapskate/poorfag, i can pay $1000+ for a new computer, i can pay $1000+ for a new bike, you dirtbag scavengers don't value your time and how nice it is to have modern high performance parts without unpleasant surprises like if the frame had been crashed and bent out of alignment or rusted through underneath the resprayed paint and it's not really the brand you thought it was they just put the decals on some shitty bike and how much life the crusty tires have left in them or if you have to spend more $$$ to replace parts on it or how just the normal maintenance and accessories will be a disproportionate amount to spend on an old cheapo bike, like putting lipstick on a pig
>>
not to mention how half the time they don't even say the frame size, you have to deal with ignorant non-cyclists

this guy is asking $300 and even when asked about the frame size he says he doesn't know
https://www.shpock.com/en-gb/i/XqCLCVWbTUsYT3vF/bridgestone-retro-racercykel-80s

and this is in stockholm not some complete bumfuck town
>>
>>1495649
have you ever considered taking some basic writing classes? you obviously know some words but the way you string them together makes you seem uneducated
>>
>>1495652
idgaf i'm just sperging out
>>
>>1485076
Why are you such a poorfag?
>>
File: Capture.jpg (68 KB, 731x810)
68 KB
68 KB JPG
>>1495651
i feel like he actually gave you a pretty good answer though
He's 6", it's an XL bike. Probably like a 58. Because there are decent photos of it, you can tell by the headtube and where his saddle is.
Bike sizing is imprecise. It's not possible really to get a much more helpful answer than that. You could have asked him to measure a specific tube if you wanted to know too or just go ride it and see how it fits you.

Plus a non-comprehensive add serves to drive the price down. People are welcome to not put effort into selling online and in return they can get less money. It's good for buyers.
>>
>>1487893
Presta is literally worse than Shrader in everyway besides diameter. And road rims and getting wider nowadays anyway.
>>
>>1495683
oh?
how so?
>>
>>1494493
No, there's not that much of a mental disconnect. A great bicycle and a good bicycle will do the same thing for %90 of people. But that last 10% will be willing to spend more for that extra niceness. Same with guns and cars. However, bicycles are just such a simple machine that the difference in niceness is much less than guns or cars. $800 vs $1000 in bikes ain't much.
Additionally most people don't fucking care nor would notice the difference. Sorry but bicycle are autistic.
>>
>>1495684
Been said many times
>>1490963
>>1490817
>>1488736
>>1488117

Do you think prestas are superior? If so, why?
>>
>>1495689
don't answer a question with a question you faggot
>>
>>1488846
You can drill them out and replace them with Schrader valves ..

So I can air up my car and bike off my compressor
>>
>>1495686
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OKvITMQAhsk
people are butthurt that this $1000 gravel bike didn't get a glowing review. but it's true that you would be better off getting a higher tier bike with shimano 105 and proper hydraulic brakes. $1000 is like the absolute cheapest for a name brand drop bar gravel bike, it's not going to be the in the mid-range bang for your buck sweet spot.

it's the same with entry-level road bikes, some of them have off-brand rim brakes without proper cartridge brake shoes so you'd be spending $20 on brake shoes and still be worse off than if you had shimano 105 brakes. and some entry-level bikes come with cheapo wire bead tires which you should really upgrade from the start (they'd only last for like 1k miles at the most anyway), so you're looking at another $80 for nice tires and $20 for nice inner tubes (in burgerland, maybe more like $10 for a set of nice inner tubes in europe).

and you do need to fucking care about bicycles or you will shoot yourself in the foot. boomers who think they're handy with an allen key still need to know that they can't tighten the bolts as hard as if it were steel on steel, they need to know to replace the chain in time, and so on. it's all too common for people to buy a sub-par bike which then doesn't get ridden because it's not a pleasant ride or it's in a state of disrepair so they sell it on craigslist or hide it in the garage to try to sell it on craigslist some decades later.
>>
>>1495649
I bought a TCR with ultegra for less than $200 USD. Found the ad and had the bike at home less than 2 hours later.

It's not that scary to negotiate.
>>
>>1495705
you dirty casual.
>>
>>1495697
C'mon baby... I put the (yous) right there for you to read. They were my answer. I was trying to further the discussion is all.
>>
>>1495839
cycling enthusiasts don't exist in my shithole town though
there was a 2010 trek 1.5 tiagra 9spd which started at $450, reduced to $300 the day after, probably because the seller thought the market was in the shitter so he was desperate for cash during the corona meme. rear tire had been replaced, bar tape was gross and falling apart, a brake shoe was missing. no up-close pics of the drivetrain. the ad disappeared within minutes after i saw it. for $200 you'd be hard-pressed to get anything better than a nasty vintage road bike in my shithole town.
>>
>>1495888
The seller dropping the price after 1 day indicates that he got no interest and was worried he couldn't sell it. Probably would have accepted any reasonable offer.
>>
File: Capture.jpg (78 KB, 1040x586)
78 KB
78 KB JPG
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzwxzzEuynw

being so poor/cheapass that you think you have to get an old hobo tier bike while this guy buys name brand shelves to hold his millions of dollars worth of cardboard
>>
File: Capture.png (21 KB, 639x317)
21 KB
21 KB PNG
>muh poor
>>
1. go to facebook marketplace or similar local classifieds
2. search "roadbike"
3. ????
4. Buy a 1/6 the price of new, neglected and unridden road bike
>>
>>1497070
depends on where you live
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJjEGMG7J3Q
>>
>>1485076
this thread is shit but at least it's not a ship or airplane thread
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kgcc1ZZlHT8
>>
File: 7fq1p1b2uq551.jpg (92 KB, 1000x1000)
92 KB
92 KB JPG
>>
>>1485087
>>1485087
>>1485087

>>1485115
I can recommend these from my own experience, hit them as long they are still available.

https://www.performancebike.com/michelin-country-rock-tire-black-26-x-1.75-07155/p1202624?v=352553
>>
>>1495649
load of crap
>>
>>1503477
>$100k to turn into a braphog
surely this procedure can be done for less
>>
It always kind of bothered me that bike magazines only review mid to highest level bikes, but they rarely test the entry level ones and write reviews on them. Maybe they figure people who look for reviews aren't looking to buy a budget bike

Personally I love recommending people their first bike because its one you want to get right
>>
>>1503648
Bike magazines are made for consoomers by consoomers
>>
>>1503648
They are bribed by the cycling industry. They are basically doing brand promotion and nothing else.

>It's true, the new Cannondale model xyz costs a hefty 4000$ but oh boy, once you ride it you know it's completely worth it bla bla bla
>>
>>1503648
The rags are advertising, and companies don't like providing lower end bikes for them to shill, as the profit margin on those is razor thin. It's annoying, because unlike most things, entry level bikes are more interesting because of the compromises made in the name of cost.
>>
>>1485873
How do you get your DH bike to the top of the hill? You gonna pedal it all the way?
>>
>>1503644
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VhVdvKbgVM8
>>
>>1503648
what are you talking about

https://road.cc/content/review/272001-specialized-allez-2020
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OKvITMQAhsk

$800-1000 is the entry level for road/gravel bikes where you're not getting the best bang for your buck, anything cheaper is from imitation brands
>>
>>1503766
why not? you some kind of pussy or something? hell, throw on an electric motor
>>
>>1503644
https://www.reddit.com/r/bikewrench/comments/ha3t3j/hole_in_left_chainstay_is_this_normal_and_does_it/
>>
>>1503766
Not the other anons in this conversation, I just want to butt in. Ride an enduro bike. Then you don't have to be a cager faggot to get to the top but you still have nice slack geometry and long travel for getting gnarly on the way down. Enduro bikes are objectively the best modern mountain bikes (I say 'modern' because whether an enduro bike or an 80s/90s rigid mountain bike is better is purely a matter of opinion and situation)
>>
>>1485076

We're not, it's just that the more expensive stuff is often the best.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eskNmeSyT08
>>
>>1485076
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=siMPB41pKiA
>>
>>1485076
>$5000 bike
u can get a new 2020 ninja 400 for that price
why do people even ride bikes lmao
>>
>>1485235
what is the knob above the dearaileur? also, killer bike for a modernization.
>>
>>1509561
$5000 is an exaggeration, you can get a spandex cyclist's wet dream for like $3000 or less
fun, exercise, lower cost of ownership, can wrench everything on it yourself, can be very practical if you don't need to travel longer distances
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Atkp8mklOh0
>>
>>1485076
Dumpster dive or go to a recycling station.
>>
>>1485076
You could get a Faggio XR with pistol grips and a super swamper for only $2500 you fucking caging chud retard
>>
File: Faggio-GTAV-front.png (2.87 MB, 1920x1080)
2.87 MB
2.87 MB PNG
>>1509636
>Faggio
wat
>>
>>1509571
What a poser
>>
>>1485076
Here you go

https://www.marinbikes.com/ww/bikes/20-gestalt-2
>>
>>1503783
You think a normalfag is going to drop $800 - $1000 on a bike? The first "real" bike to me was a Walmart Schwinn that cost $200, and it was a moment I grit my teeth over the cost.
You wanna introduce people to biking you gotta start small. You gotta weigh the tradeoffs with the benefits and get them on a bike they love that costs less than half of what you're recommending. That means used, that means knockoffs, and that means giving up your precious carbon fiber and using steel in place of aluminum. And you know something? The normalfag will not care. The fact the bike weighs 20lbs means nothing and they'll gladly add another 1lb for a bigger gel seat. You just gotta deal with it.
>>
>>1509993
the best way to get people into bikes is buy nice old ones and restore them and sell them to your friends at cost
>>
File: - transportation.jpg (254 KB, 1000x919)
254 KB
254 KB JPG
>>
>>1509993
people buy expensive TVs, phones, laptops, cars and whatnot, if you want to be a remotely serious road cyclist you should man the fuck up and be prepared to spend $80+ on a pair of tires etc
>>
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Personal_income_in_the_United_States#Over_time,_by_ethnicity_and_sex
>median income of 15 year olds or older, who have non-zero income
>white males
>2016
>$40,632
and astronomical $100k+ salaries are relatively common in burgerland
you are incredibly privileged and rich compared to the rest of the world, you have low taxes and a low cost of living, and some of you still act like total cheapskates
>>
maybe you don't need fucking dozens of guns, maybe you can have one less gun and get yourself a nice bicycle
>>
>>1509571
>$3k for a dream bike
lolno, put a 1 in front of the 3 and now you're talking
-t. fred
>>
>>1510023
yeah but that will be like the f1 or motogp of cycling. cheapskates have no concept of such nice things. for example a caad13, allez sprint comp, tcr with a set of carbon wheels for roughly $3k (without accessories) ought to be satisfactory for the run of the mill cycling enthusiast. and $3k is roughly in the ball park of what an enthusiast gaming pc might cost, it's not an astronomical amount, it's just that normies has such an utter disrespect toward cycling.
>>
>>1485424
why fuck conti?

I work for them, not tire division though.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MaDbCC0uv1c
>>
>>1510028
some people got sidewall blowouts on the gp 4000 but they said that about michelin power comp as well. that was a few years ago when it was more common to run like 110-130 psi, now some people ride 80 psi or below and consider 100 psi to be high. some anons say they get a lot of punctures but i think they're not installing the inner tubes correctly and maybe they have shitty american roads with goatheads and whatnot and lack the skill to avoid potholes etc.
>>
>>1511374
when you hear about tyres failing, that's just good

good tyres fail

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.