[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/n/ - Transportation

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: IMG_20200507_130757.jpg (2.51 MB, 3163x2159)
2.51 MB
2.51 MB JPG
Fixed Gear General
Single Speeds allowed edition.

Other thread is almost dead.

So I put those stupid Salsa cowchippers on my fixie.
>>
File: IMG_20200507_130849.jpg (1.63 MB, 2820x2148)
1.63 MB
1.63 MB JPG
I don't think I can oversell how wide these bars are.
>>
What are reputable brands that carry an fg/ss model? Preferably available in europe.
>>
File: mashsf.jpg (200 KB, 1280x720)
200 KB
200 KB JPG
was looking to either buy a mashsf frame and build it up like pick related but cheaper or buy a cinelli tipo pista, anyone know about either of these?
>>
>>1483099
What's your price range.
>>
>>1483105
Dunno. What price range are worth considering?
I'm not going to be velodrome racing on a 3500€ carbon speed machine (as much as I'd like to) or anything.
>>
Got a flat on my last ride before taking a longer work trip where I can't take my bike with me.

What upgrades should I go for once I get back?
>>
>>1483188
Flat resistant tires? You'll be sacrificing efficiency and ride quality which are the whole point of fixie, but they do the job...
>>
>>1483188
tubeless
>>
>>1483102
cinelli is better for riding, your picrel looks like it's build to do tricks
>>
File: g1.jpg (2.57 MB, 2666x2000)
2.57 MB
2.57 MB JPG
>>1483099
Brick Lane Bikes comes to mind (UK based)
Out of Italy you have Cinelli, and Kory York, or you can look for a local workshop.

If you can drop 900-1500 euro, that will get you a very high end bike, but you can get a good FG as low as 500 (I'm talking steel frame, and good components).

Mind you, I only recently started riding fixed gear, so this is from the bit of research i've done before dropping ~1200 euro (at current exchange rates) on one.

>>1483102
I recently picked up a cinelli gazzetta frame, that a local shop turned into a full bike for me, and I love it.

AFAIK, mash frames use higher end steel than "regular" columbus cromoly, while the tipo pista is alu, which makes it a bit more of a crit racer than a street bike, but that's not to say you can't hit the streets with it.

Pic related is my little joy.
>>
>>1483092
>>1483094
>Bars way too wide
>Probably can't rid in the drops for more than 20 mins
Yikes
>>
>>1483188
>What upgrades should I go for once I get back?
NJS araya/derr-ace track wheels and superlite tubulars with backup sealant for flats.
>>
>>1483232
Holy shit what a fucking boomer
The drops are not the default position in any drop bar discipline now except track cycling, which lasts minutes. This isn't the 1986 Tour, faggot.

Also look at his stem, his reach is tiny.
>>
>>1483094
That is hilarious
>>
>>1483266
>getting this mad
I'm sorry you fell for a meme and chose the wrong bars but chill
>>
>>1483282
He didn't fall for anything.
I'm OP and had a spare pair of cowchippers.
It's a fixed gear without brakes. It takes literally 60 seconds for me to swap bars. Also I can reach the drops fine because, unlike you, my shoulders aren't 36cm wide.
Anyway
>Fell for meme
Literally nobody is doing wide drops in fixed gears. Troll harder
>>1483280
Right? It's like running narrow flats on the tops.
>>
>>1483290
hahah such anger
it's ok to be wrong
>>
>>1483217
Do you consider a conversion from an old strada steel bike as worth doing?

~1000€ is a lot of money for me.
>>
>>1483301
If you can get a decent steel frame, you don't need much to make a fixed gear. The major thing is the frame, wheels, and crank.
>>
>>1483094
Lol that looks so comical some reason
>>
>>1483316
maybe it's a trail fixie
>>
>>1483320
I'd be more inclined to believe it's a tracklocross build if he wasn't sporting ultra sports for tires
>>
>>1483299
What is this weak troll?
>>
>>1483341
I did take my wife to some light trails on it the other day so she could use my rigid 26er.

>>1483316
Right?
>>
>>1483235
I was considering some second hand 5 spoke carbon rims actually...
>>
How do you take sharp corners on a fixie? Seems incredibly impractical and dangerous.
>>
>>1484085
Slow enough to not pedal strike.
>>
>>1484085
>impractical and dangerous.
Basically fixed gears in a nutshell.
>>
>>1484088
My most practical bike is the least fun to ride.
>>
>>1483678
don't do that, it's 2020

>>1484085
do them slower or wider. It's not like it happens in real life scenarios though
>>
>>1483092
can someone tell me what's the point of fixies? i mean i get it for track or to train for track, but what's the point for commuters or for longer rides? what happens when you get to a steep climb? i'm asking cuz i've never ridden one but they look kinda cool
>>
>>1484288
Fun. The riding experience is just different.

You harden up at climbs.
>>
>>1484288
It's fun. That's the entirety of the point. There are no reasonable practical advantages over a multispeed freehub (well, there's ease of maintenance, but that's too marginal to be counted as a reasonable advantage), but that doesn't matter because fixed gear is fun.

>what happens when you get to a steep climb?
You mash up it or you get off and push. Or you take another route.
>>
i miss when n wouldnt allow these fag threads to exist
>>
>>1484422
That must have been over a decade ago.
>>
>>1484423
yea probably about that
im so fukin old
>>
>>1484422
Imagine being this butthurt
>>
File: 20200510_174708.jpg (3.01 MB, 4032x3024)
3.01 MB
3.01 MB JPG
>>1484288
+1 for being crazy, stupid fun.

Basically, you have a lightweight, agile bike, with no unnecessary gear (pun intended). The lack of a groupset (and sometimes brakes) means that even with a heavy brooks saddle (510 grams, yo), and a steel frame, you have a bike that weighs ~9kg, and lets be honest - having a 2x10, or 2x11 groupset is kinda useless in the city, as you mostly use 1 or 2 gears anyway, and the direct power transfer of the fixed gear is nice, and responsive.

If you have a chance to ride a lightweight fixed gear, try it - it's great.
Pic related.
>>
>>1484456
the ones with track geometry turn even sharper, a big plus in filtering traffic
>>
>>1484460
Trye, but my city has so many good quality bike paths, traffic isn't much of a problem. It's super useful when relevant though.
>>
>>1484456
I think I've been there before, is that in Poland?
>>
>>1484288
its the purest form of cycling
>>
>>1484473
Looks like Old Town, Warsaw.
>>
>>1484456
why not just get a regular bike that weights less than 9kg and can go uphill? doesn't braking/slowing down suck on a fixie? i've ridden track and can't imagine doing it in an uncontrolled environment like the city
>>
>>1484518
>why not just get a regular bike
This has already been answered ITT by several different anons including the one you're referencing
>>
>>1484518
Any bike can go uphill. I literally live on a city on a hill and it's fine with 84 gear inches.

harden tf up and enjoy the pain.

Also you can put a brake on it, fgt.
>>
File: climbing.png (15 KB, 1407x171)
15 KB
15 KB PNG
>>1484518
>that can go uphill
>>
>>1484523
i laugh at all the single speeds pushing <70rpm uphill
>>
>>1484526
hide the speed in shame
>>
File: 20200510_174541.jpg (3.28 MB, 4032x3024)
3.28 MB
3.28 MB JPG
>>1484473
>>1484496

Correct.
>>
File: explodingknees.jpg (61 KB, 700x700)
61 KB
61 KB JPG
>>1484523
>>
>>1484530
.... hmm does our favorite YouTuber have a fixie now? I refuse to believe it
>>
Did my first 50k today. Needed to bring more water.
>>
>>1483092
>>
>>1484632
Nah, i'm not on yt
>>
>>1483092
Suppose some retard *cough* wanted to build up a 650b x 38mm single speed. Any frames you guys would recommend?

The only bike I'm even aware of that can do it easily is the Surly Pack Rat, the larger frames are built for 650b right out of the box, can take up to 48mm tires, and have semi horizontal dropouts for easy single speed installation.

But are there others that would be suitable? I've run the numbers and I'm not really comfortable converting most 700c bikes to 650b. By my math a Surly Pack Rat with 650b x 38 tires has about 4.13 inches between the bottom of a pedal at the 6:00 position and the ground. Not bad at all, seems pretty standard. But if you convert something like a Surly Steamroller into 650b x 38mm then there's only 3.54 inches between the bottom of the pedal at the 6:00 position and the ground. I'm not an aggressive rider but that still seems unsafe to me. Note: Those numbers aren't even counting tire deformation, you can probably subtract several mm from the clearance when you're actually on the bike.

The only downside of the Pack Rat is it's a one trick pony, it's built for carrying front loads, and it will behave a little squirrely if you don't have a load up front. So, if i got one I guess I'd join the randonneur club and put a fat rando bag up front.
>>
>>1484716
>But are there others that would be suitable?
26er rigid MTB? The wheel diameters would be similar and the difference in brake reach is like half an inch, typically within adjustment range. At least on theory, I think. It's an idea I've held for a bit but haven't got to it because there's practically no cheapo 650b rim brake wheelsets to experiment.
>>
File: MO-05SwissArmyBicycle.jpg (164 KB, 1024x683)
164 KB
164 KB JPG
>>1484718
Yeah, I've looked at mountain bikes, but I was really looking more for a road / touring style frame.

I was inspired to one day build up a 650b x 38 single speed after reading about how the Swiss Army used MO-05 single speed bicycles in 650b x 38 for 90 years. 90 years! Their bikes were in 65 gear inches, a 50 tooth chain ring and a 20 tooth cog. I've found ~65 gear inches is the absolute best gear ratio for an upright bicycle if you have to go up steep hills. It's what I ride and I can get up small 10.5% grades and I never find myself spinning out on the flats. So it got me thinking, if they settled on the golden gear ratio for their bikes, then maybe 650b x 38 has some kind of secret sauce as well. I really want to try it out.
>>
File: early stumpjumper.png (939 KB, 750x551)
939 KB
939 KB PNG
>>1484726
I was thinking about something early, when geometry was similar to touring bikes and semi-horizontal dropouts were most common. An 80s Stumpjumper being probably the easiest to find example.
>>
>>1484726
>>1484735
actually looking at it maybe not the stumpjumper, but the idea is that s 80s-early 90s mtb is very likely to lend itself to such a conversion
>>
>>1484518
>doesn't braking/slowing down suck on a fixie?

actually no. Only if you need to stop quickly, but you can have a front brake for emergencies if you don't fancy going full New York Kamikaze. Otherwise, you don't really have to do anything - just apply some back pressure on the pedals, and you'll slow down - don't even have to reach for the brake.
>>
I am curious about flip flop hubs with double free wheels. I read somewhere that if you use a flip flop hub with different sized cogs then this means you can't use your rear brake, or, you have to adjust your rear brake every time you swap sides.

Why would this be? I feel like I'm missing something.
>>
>>1485155
because on most singlespeed bikes, your wheel moves forwards and backwards in the dropout to tension the chain
a larger/smaller cog will change the position of the wheel
brake pads align quite precisely with the brake track on the wheel
so if you move the wheel then the pads will likely rub on the tyre or not contact the track.

With small changes you could probably find a compromise place for the brake pads which works adequately for both.

I think it would be pretty annoying routinely changing your wheel around to change gearing anyway. Why not just fucking get a geared bike.
>>
>>1485159
>Why not just fucking get a geared bike.

I guess I'm just getting used to the idea that single speeds have three gears: Sitting while pedaling, Standing while pedaling, and Walking your bike.

To tackle every single extreme incline you face you'd need a single speed with a 20 gear inch setup and it would be useless for anything else.

I was looking at a really gorgeous bikepacking trip I'd like to do single speed one day, and it has a section of 10%+ and even 20% grades. I think at that point you just walk the bike. I can't even imagine doing a 20% grade on a single speed.
>>
File: image-w1280.jpg (178 KB, 1280x720)
178 KB
178 KB JPG
>>1485253
>I was looking at a really gorgeous bikepacking trip I'd like to do single speed one day
too many memes anon
like too many ingredients in a sandwich
>>
>>1483099
Dolan Pre Cursa comes to mind
>>
>>1484288
I used to be ignorant like you

Then i got a bike without freewheel
>>
>>1485257
>too many
two?
>>
so I recently got some squirt wax lubricant for my fixed gear after looking at all the great reviews online and after applying it and following all the instructions I took my bike for a ride the following day. It was absolutely brilliant, smooth as it's ever been and no noise at all...for like 30 minutes. After that, my drivetrain became loud as shit, and it's been ever since, probably the loudest I've ever heard a fixed gear bike. Who needs a freewheel when your chain makes all this noise, holy hell.

I can't figure out what's going on or even if this is normal. It's not loud like an unlubed chain (there is no creaking or clicking or any of that), I can't really describe it. It's just loud. Imagine if you put pieces of paper in your spokes and rotated the wheel, that's the kind of sound it makes. It's not a "holy shit I better stop riding before I ruin something" kind of sound if that makes sense.

I applied another layer of lube today just in case, but I really don't think it's lack of lube, I applied a lot the first time and did it twice...
>>
>>1485805
>I applied a lot the first time and did it twice...
There's your problem. Your drivetrain was nice and smooth until it started picking up dirt and debris because you went overboard with the lube. Do it all over again; degrease the shit out of that chain until it's bone dry, apply a thin layer of lube on the inside of the chain, rotate the cranks around for a couple of minutes, let it seep in for a while, then wipe off the excess.
>>
>>1485821
you're thinking of regular liquid lube, this is wax. There is no dirt or debris, nothing sticks to the chain. They recommend two layers
>>
Got some cash to blow from stimulus check, anyone have some good ideas for building a fixie for < $1000 CAD? Was thinking of a Leader frame and building up from there with my free time.
>>
>>1486093
>free money
>free time
Fuck this Marxism shit... is there anywhere left to move that's not a total shit hole?
>>
>>1486098
back2pol
>>
>>1486093
Converting an old road frame is pretty cheap if you're okay with the look (drops, unused braze-ons, curved fork, no track fork ends).

I did this recently for about $700 USD, and I've been loving it. I'm waiting for a sunny day so I can take a good pic to add to the thread.

I reused as much as I could, but the only local shop that would carry fixed gear parts closed down this past fall, so I ended up getting the rest from Retrogression (in Portland OR). They have some budget stuff that's good-enough quality (like, you can pay $15 for a Dura Ace lockring, or get a $1 no-name lockring), a good selection of cogs, spacers, etc.

I had to take a 1/2 round file to the underside of the fork crown lug for tire clearance, but the rest of it was very straightforward.
>>
>>1486093
weinman dp or lp18's, sram s300 or omnuims, cranks. save money on bars and lockring/chain and go generic.
>>
>>1486170
>>1486189

Thanks bros. There's always plenty of old road bikes on Craigslist around me, maybe a paint job would be an option if I'm trying to get nice aesthetics
>>
>>1485805
>>1486010
left the third layer drying overnight and it seems much better. Maybe the lube needed more time, I only left it for around 12h instead of the recommended 24h for the first application
>>
this might be a little immature, but there are some cool fixed gear pictures here:

http://www.thefixfixfix.com/thefixxx/wp-content/gallery/

caution, some of them are NSFW
>>
>>1486841
Thx, bro! That's an amazing coomer goldmine.
Some nice bikes, too. Totally my fetish. And also from a better time before all girls had dicks. Comfy.
>>
>>1486350
also: heads up, there's a file in the link "favicon_f89ac6.ico" that has a kryptik.bc virus in it, according to eset, don't click that.
>>
>>1486853
meant to reply to >>1486841
>>
>>1486849
>Some nice bikes, too

that's the main appeal of it - it's like the guys who put these together knew what they were doing, and not just put a random bimbo, on an equally random dutch citybike.
>>
Bike shop near me sells Cinelli Tipo Pitas. Are these fun in the city, or just good for racing?
>>
>>1486867
Cinelli is good. Granted, it seems to be the mainstream fixed gear brand nowadays, and alu is stiffer than steel, but it's still a good bike, and should be plenty fun around the town.
>>
>>1486867
>no bottle cage bosses
ehhhhhh fuck that

in general i like nucinelli though
it probably rides real nice and it looks cool

but fuck i would not buy a bike that you have to hack a waterbottle onto
>>
>>1486921

to each their own, I guess. I have a gazzetta (already shown ITT) with no bottle cage mounts, and I like the look. There are seat cages if you really must. Also, tutto frames have bottle mounts.

I have two cages on my CX, which I use for longer rides, though I don't really miss them when riding fixed (but that may have something to do with riding in masks, and being unable to drink without stopping anyway).
>>
>>1486930
>There are seat cages if you really must.
i would rather kill myself
>>
>>1483282
sorry you only speak in memes, i'll be more patient with you in the future
>>
File: explodingknees.jpg (142 KB, 652x497)
142 KB
142 KB JPG
I don't understand fixie gearing.

I ride single speed, so my requirements for gearing is being able to get up most hills without my knees exploding, with the downside that I won't have a high top speed on the flats. From what I've seen most single speed riders who live in hilly areas have their gearing between 50 and 65 gear inches.

But from what I've seen, most fixie riders have the opposite philosophy. They have their bikes in a really high gear and detonate their knees going up steep hills just so they can keep their feet on the pedals going down the hill. 75 gear inches and higher seems pretty standard for fixie riders even if they live in really hilly areas.

I don't really understand this. I know for a fact that my knees would explode if I tried to get up a 10% grade in 75 gear inches.
>>
>>1487105
I rode up a 6% peaking at 10% on 70 gear inches without much problem (got out of the saddle though). I ride 46x17, but the direct power transfer makes it a bit more efficient.
Also - riding spd pedals and being able to use both legs also helps.
>>
Chinese crabon saddle is starting to make weird noises at the nose when I sit on it, should I be worried? Don't really want carbon shards ripping open my perinium
>>
>>1487105
I live in a hilly city and ride 78 gear inches and it's fine, good for your quads and once you get used to it, it becomes easy. Worst thing is when you get a sharp turn on a climb, you lose your momentum and then as much as you try to pedal you can only trackstand, happened to me for the first time a few days ago.
>>
>>1487195
well I took it off and it looks fine but makes some weird noises when putting weight on it. I don't really trust it. I think it's time I fall for the Brooks meme...
>>
>>1484288
any mediocre cyclist can do the watts to get up the steepest climb where i live at 30 km/h in 30 secs. no reason to get a geared bike to do it at 15 km/h in 60 secs like some elderly woman.
>>
File: speed.png (1.41 MB, 834x730)
1.41 MB
1.41 MB PNG
>>1483092
>>
I don't understand why my bike always has chain slack after it's stood still in my room for 7 months.
>>
>>1487263
beautiful
>>
>>1483092
Some guy near me selling an All-City Thunderdome for 600, looks in good shape. Worth?
>>
File: 20200517_154641.jpg (3.79 MB, 3186x1808)
3.79 MB
3.79 MB JPG
summer pretty much came today, tons of people out and cafés are all full. I give it two weeks until quarantine 2.0
>>
>>1488185
Where u @?

We have it pretty mild in PL.
>>
File: BoringBike.jpg (1.7 MB, 1512x2016)
1.7 MB
1.7 MB JPG
>Euro feels in US Edition
>>1483092
I like the new decals, the fork came out nicely too. Did you clear coat the fork after sanding?
>>1483094
wide boi
>>1483188
>saddle mounted bottle cage
I would sooner run a camelbak then run saddle mounted cages
>>1483217
>>1484456
blackbikegang, I really like how the matte goes to satin/gloss. You need better tires my dude, you have such high end parts with the lowest end Vittorias
>>1484682
I should've picked up an Undefeated. That black prism paint is super hot. Instead I grabbed a Black Label V2 frameset I'm building up, I'm almost done collecting all the parts for it. Just the tiny shit left before I build it up.
>>1488185
>Archehypes on Peugot
hnnnnggg
>>
>>1488203
god I miss Poland, if this whole covid thing didn't happen I'd probably be spending a few days over there in June

I'm in Portugal, nights are still chilly but the rain stopped and it's 25C today
>>
>>1488207
>blackbikegang, I really like how the matte goes to satin/gloss. You need better tires my dude, you have such high end parts with the lowest end Vittorias

Yeah, i'm replacing the tires first chance i get, probably with some 28c as they should fit.
The gloss is the brand name - i also like how they went for black on black here.

>>1488235
25c is not bad. We have 15-20 degrees here at the moment. Pleasant riding weather, and i get to ride to work every day (plus i don't even have to lock up my bike at work, but that's a special case).

Unfortunately, more and more people are ignoring the need to wear masks in public.

I'm seriously considering getting a handlebar bottle cage, and a can of silver spray, and going fury road on those idiots...
>>
File: no-breaks.webm (1.95 MB, 640x640)
1.95 MB
1.95 MB WEBM
>>1484085
>How do you take sharp corners
I think you'd be surprised how far you can lean a bike before you clip a pedal, especially with short cranks. Just try it off the bike, pedal at 6 o'clock then tilt it over.

>>1484288
>what's the point of fixies
>i'm asking cuz i've never ridden one
I started recently, and other posters have said "fun", which is what I heard all the time. Having tried it for myself, I'd say it's 90% of the joy I had when first learning to ride a bike. "Fun" hits it right on the nose.

>>1487105
I'm a long term roadie who built up my first fixed gear a month ago. My city's very hilly, so I used my other two road-ish bikes to figure out an appropriate gear.

My touring bike is 3x10 with a 48 big ring, so I found a comfortable gear and planned to size down 2t in the rear. But that bike's heavy, so I tried a very close ratio on my road bike (2x10 and light), which lead me to size down 3t total in the rear. My fixed gear build ended up being ~71 gear inches, which sounds fairly low, but it suits the terrain.

I've had friends say fixed is "10% more efficient", but it feels like more than that. I use the same shoes and pedals as my road bike (Look Keo), and taking it on familiar loops, I'm awed at how well this bike climbs. I'm not saying that there aren't people grinding their knees to dust, but taken together the various efficiency gains are very noticeable.

>>1487107
Very similar to my experience so far.

Unrelated video, something I'd never try.
>>
>>1488207
Forks been done a hot minute. Sanded and clearcoated, yeah. Painted the alloy crown black, though.
Decals are actually temporary tattoos. Going to find more gold ones to bomb it.

>>1488300
He could stop pretty much immediately. Fun trick but not really dangerous.
>>
Its fucking raining in socal...
How the fuck do you ride in the rain?
>>
>>1488728
the same as normal, just squint more
>>
>>1488728
>>1488738
And don't be quite so aggressive in the curves.
>>
>>1488738
underrated comment
>>
File: 20200519_101349.jpg (3.14 MB, 4032x3024)
3.14 MB
3.14 MB JPG
Welp, had my first crash today. Clipped the back of a car with my body (driver stopped, and didn't quite get around him).
A bit worried about my carbon fork, but it looks like the bike didn't hit the car, just tumbled when i went over the bars.

Didn't let go of the bars though, and ended up skidding on my face (pic related, aside ftom biting into my lower lip, everything's fine).

Front wheel feels a litte out of true, but i'll get someone to look at it today.
>>
Never had a road bike, see this for a hundred bucks. Should I buy?
>>
>>1489073
it's not a road bike, or a bianchi
it's a beater single speed rigid 90s GT mtb
kind of more like a hybrid

and yes, you should buy it, probably fun
>>
I know you guys are autistic and don't care about what other people think of you but doesn't it bother it just slightly that when people see you out on these things they think you are gay reddit hipsters?
>>
>>1489095
You sure /n/ here are the autistic ones?
Let me guess you live in flyover and people think you’re a faggot for using a kids toy?
Fuck em, ride all you want
>>
>>1489073
overpriced garbage
>>
>>1489095
i've been asked literally dozens of times if my steel road geared road bikes are fixies
and everyone thinks roadie roadies are faggots

you can't win tripping about haters
>>
>>1489112
>$100
>completely rebuilt bike with decent mid-range base

um, what?
like sure maybe whoever did it shat the bed but it's not apparent in that picture
$100 for ANYTHING in good condition that rides is reasonable and that bike might be relatively legit
>>
>>1489141
it's a hobo-tier bike, i just saw a 2010 trek 1.5 with an asking price of $300 which is extremely unusual in my shithole town, in places with road bikes you can get even better deals, what is more important to you saving a few hundred on the bike and then spending hundreds on maintenance and accessories, or do you want an actual road bike that goes like a rocket compared to that crappy bike
>>
>>1489163
you're just fucking wrong and stupid and i wish i could smash your dumb cunt face with a shovel
>>
>>1489167
do you live in a first world country? have you paid for food, housing, a computer, a phone in the last decade? it is sad that people think so lowly of bikes that they can't bring themselves to spend more on a bike than they spend on marvel movie tickets and funko pops in a month. for example the chainring looks small, so what if he spends $50 on a chainring and a new chain to make it ride just a little bit better. the bike is then still worth $100 tops, it's a false economy, there comes a time when it truly is garbage and it belongs in a junkyard, people scrap old cars but they ride 50+ year old bikes like it's nothing.
>>
>>1489172
I have half a dozen bikes and several of them cost several thousand dollars. Situationally a low geared GT ss beater like that might be about as good as it gets. It just depends on what you use it for and the condition it's in, which isn't apparent in the photo. The fact it's been completely rebuilt and painted makes me guess it's in good condition though. Many wealthier people might spend ten times as much buying a surly steamroller or a kona unit or something new which fits a similar niche and have less fun because they care more about it.

You just have a highly restrictive and pedantic view of what bicycles are used for, shaped to your own small experience. And you're forgetting that most people who post here, and who might be interested in $100 single speeds, are kids with no income, to whom $100 is not an insignificant amount of money.

It's not 50 years old either, unlike you, you gigantic faggot, it's 25 at most, and it's clearly been rebuilt in the last 10. I drive an old car too. Suck my dick. It's awesome.
>>
>>1489141
first of all, you're clearly american and bikes might be worth that where you're from but not here. I'm portuguese like the guy who posted that and that bike is worth no more than 20€. It's a shit gaspipe frame, most likely made by Esmaltina which is shit-tier. Adding insult to injury with Bianchi stickers. It has a new shit cheap chain and a new freewheel, that's it. It's worthless. People think triple triangles are worth more than usual these days, hence the 100€ ridiculous asking price. It's definitely not worth it, and that shows by how long the ad has been up, I saw that same ad at least a year and a half ago.
>>
I’ll just post better pics now that I have time.
>>
>>1489184
What does the gt everyone keep referencing mean?
>>
>>1489186
And how do y’all know it’s been rebuilt?
>>
>>1489187
Another frame pic
>>
>>1489172
>for example the chainring looks small, so what if he spends $50 on a chainring and a new chain to make it ride just a little bit better

>2:1 - 2.5:1 is a small gear for urban stop'n-go/mtb>a chainring and 1s chain are $50
>bringing your average cadence from 90 to 60 somehow benefits the bike's ride

what the fuck is wrong with you fixers, really
>>
>>1489184
>>1489186
esquece isso, essa bicicleta é uma merda. Diz-me o teu orçamento e o que pretendes da bike e eu oriento-te. Para usares este tópico é porque queres uma fixie, certo?
>>
>>1489188
As far as the use, I haven’t had a bike in four years I moved, I never had a straight be top tube type bike always the mountain geometrie types
>>
>>1489191
Can’t buy it right now but I seen this and thought it was a good deal and single speed is about what I’d want for right now although my town has hills
>margem sul
>uso ocasional
Coworker told me about a specialized ss they have for 500 at the local lbs
>>
>>1489193
Oh and the other issue I have is I don’t know what size frame I need since I never rode on a road type frame
>>
>>1489193
If you don't need to buy it right now, your best bet is to look for deals on lfgss classifieds.

>>1489194
how tall are you?
>>
>gaspipe, caulk welds suggest milder than pre-hiten
>long stays
>1" quill
>will fit fat tires
unironically comfy
>>
>>1489195
5’7”
170cm
>>
>>1489197
anything from size 52 to 55 could work for you with proper seatpost/stem adjustment but look for bike size calculators online to make sure. The best way would be to have a bike shop measure that though
>>
>>1489187
it's been repainted which involves stripping it and it's been converted to singlespeed so it's been rebuilt.
>>1489186
It's the frame style which i've never seen shit tier examples of. Maybe the other anon is right about the frame, but i'm doubtful as it has an integrated derailer hanger, albeit sloppy welds.

>>1489183
nope not american. And i don't care how inflated your paper money is. You're not actually putting a reasonable price on that specific bike, you're just shitposting because you think a SS rigid beater is inherently bad.
>>
I’m the guy who posted the bike.
How do y’all know it’s not a real bianchi? I’ve seen Bianchini frames on forums several years ago looking similar? What about something like the Fuji feather? I hear that is a tried and true ss
>>
>>1489201
why not use dropbar-style brakes on these?
>>
>>1489192
it's an older equivalent of the same geometry, people overvalue it because of nostalgia
>>
>>1489210
cost, it's an acceptable bike but still at the entry level. and some fixiefags only ride upright on the tops. tektro rl340 are pretty cheap.
>>
What are your guys’ opinions on the Córdoba? Is it a decent starter bike to get into road bikes?
>>
>>1489260
A road bike would be a better starter bike to get into road bikes.
>>
>>1489260
in the US it's a $459 bike, and aventon has a meh reputation, i wouldn't pay EU prices for it. fuji track and fuji feather are decent for the price.
>>
I'm starting to lose the spirit.
What do you guys do about that?
>>
>>1489318
Go ride your bike.
>>
>>1489320
Okay. I'll be back in a couple hours to cry more.
>>
>>1489323
That's ok. You can tell me what's up when you get back.
>>
>>1489318
ride my bike high
>>
>>1489318
night ride
>>
>>1489331
while tripin on shrooms
>>
>>1489359
>>1489329
I took a half gram of mushrooms the other day and rode for almost 30 miles.
That was a pretty fun ride, but the problem isnt that I dont want to ride. I feel like I have to ride, otherwise I get this feeling like I should be dead or something. Somebody said it was "depression" or something one time. I'm not gay.
>>
>>1489360
last time I felt depressed I went to a gay sauna and sucked an old bear's thick red cook like a queen, got my spirits right up, you could try that
>>
>>1489371
Yeah but I ain't gay, so I'm not "depressed."
>>
>>1489360
>>1489372
Are you one of those depressed people who think depression isn't a real thing? Because denial won't take you anywhere
>>
>>1489372
me neither, sucking a dick is anything but gay in my honest opinion. Nothing more manly than two burly men sharing an intimate moment
>>
Whatever dick smokers I'm back from riding. 31.5 miles so you cant say I dont ride.
>>1489394
I'm not denying anything other than not being gay. If being "depressed" means you have this anger that comes from nothing but your own self, then sure, maybe I am "depressed."
>>1489485
Are you fucking italian?
>>
>>1488207
chicago rider? that looks like its right off halsted. lincoln park meme
>>
>>1483092
What's a fair price on a Cinelli MASH frame and fork used? I for some reason want one and I see a few online.

Also is anyone familiar with GT gutterball?
>>
>>1489506
tree fiddy tops? it depends
some of them were pretty expensive new
i like them
just would never buy one of the retarded pursuit geo ones.
>>
Bullhorns or compact drop bars?
>>
>>1489534
Bull horns every day. Compact drops are GAY
>>
>>1489536
You've sold me. I'm not gay.
>>
>>1489534
Pista bars
>>
>>1489534
bullhorns are honestly the most comfy but they look really try-hard so I always pick drops
>>
>>1489534
If you have road brake levers, drop bars. If you don't, bullhorns. But please, no pursuit bullhorns.
>>
>>1489534
Bullhorns if you do a lot of climbing. Drops if you want to look cool
>>
>>1489650
>pursuit bullhorns

Not him, but what about blb eastwood? As pursuits go, they are very mild.

Just a question, i ride cinelli lola myself.
>>
>>1483092
Don't fixed gears steal power?
>>
>>1489766
it's a more efficient drivetrain than free wheel
>>
>>1489766
Why would they?

They do bleed momentum if you stop putting down power though, because the direction of energy transfer is reversed and the bike has to spend kinetic energy on moving your legs.
>>
>>1489677
>>1489650
Is there a specific pair of bullhorns you guys reccomend?
>>
>>1489774
I understand this vs derailleur but how does that make sense vs singlespeed?
>>
>>1489812
literally what?
>>
>>1489812

single speed still has a ratchet mechanism in the rear axle, and no matter how good it is, it will always be less efficient then a direct power transfer of a fixed gear.

Also, to some extent, being able to control your speed with the pedals alone, without having to use the brake lever is more chill, than SS.
>>
>>1489787
Nitto RB-018
>>
>>1489812
it pushes you through the dead spots in your pedal stroke
>>
Anyone ever try riding while on molly?
>>
>>1489950
I've only ever met one girl named Molly but she wasn't tall enough to ride.
>>
File: bike-hub.jpg (326 KB, 1024x768)
326 KB
326 KB JPG
Is converting old frames with horizontal dropouts safe?
>>
>>1490051
why wouldn't it be? The only thing you need for a SS/FG is to be able to adjust the rear wheel to tension the chain properly (something you don't need with geared bikes, bacause of how gears work).
>>
>>1489950
not molly but I rode a fixed gear home once at 5am while I was drunk off my tits and after having taken a pill which I assume was ecstasy. I lived about 10km away from the nightclub, 1km of which was a -12% hill which I had to bomb after dancing for like 6h straight.

I vaguely remember the trip home and the truth is I woke up the next day in one piece but I don't really recommend biking on drugs
>>
>>1490180
turns out molly is ecstasy so yes actually, we don't use that word in my language
>>
>>1490180
fixies confirmed for the best to ride under the influence.
>>
>>1489813
A derailleur system has the pulleys, spring, and bent chain stealing power, but SS only has the freewheel mechanism which only bleeds power when coasting.

>>1489829
single speed still has a ratchet mechanism in the rear axle
But that only matters when coasting? When applying power it's mechanically the same.

>>1489855
Wouldn't this actually slow you down since the drivetrain is working against your legs?

I don't deny that fixed is faster, but that's because it forces you to keep pedaling, not because it has some sort of mechanical advantage.
>>
As someone who commutes daily on a MTB, what advantages are there to owning a fixed gear bike?

I haven't ridden one since I was a teenager using a BMX.
>>
>>1489950
No but I plan to next time I take acid

Will report back. Or maybe not
>>
>>1490258
It's lighter and lower maintenance, if your commute is relatively flat and you pick the right gearing (ignore velodrome larpers telling you that 60-70 inches is low), that should save you some time.
>>
>>1490258
Two words: rolling resistance. Try riding a fixed gear with something like 46x16, a good set of wheels, and good 700x25cc tires, and you'll be shocked how much more lively it is, especially starting off traffic lights.
>>
>>1490051
It's completely fine. Just tighten your wheel as hard as you can. You dont want the wheel to pop out while you try to skid. This isn't something you have to worry about with track dropouts.
>>
File: wheels.png (721 KB, 654x537)
721 KB
721 KB PNG
Hi guys, building my first fixie and wondering if you thought these wheels looked ok. Is 325 AUD a good price for these? Or should I keep looking? (I think that's like 250 USD btw)
>>
>>1490256
https://www.reddit.com/r/FixedGearBicycle/comments/2eaogd/quantifying_fixed_gear_mechanical_efficiency/cjxny2h/
>>
>ride a track bike exclusively for 3 years
>finally get a road bike
>shit feels like cheating
>always on the wrong gear to make it feel like it's worth it
>>
>>1491070
you're still supposed to push hard on the climbs and into a headwind don't use the gears as an excuse to ride with less effort
“It never gets easier, you just get faster” – Greg LeMond
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ACnCIhJJupc
>>
I'm on a manic downswing and have no energy to ride.
>>
>>1491887
get a new hobby, read a book or something
>>
>>1491070
>killing your knees and ruining your cadence because you were brainwashed by a hipster meme
>>
>>1491900
Yeah, I'm gonna have to find something to do during the lows.
>>
>>1491887
I'm feeling it too, the pandemic is getting to me. Like it's not bad, I'm outside and I ride but the social distancing and closed stores and the new normal sucks. Hope you feel better anon
>>
>>1489057
Fuuuck, at first glance I thought the thumbnail was showing a bloodied chamois.

>>1490263
>ignore velodrome larpers telling you that 60-70 inches is low
70 sounds low to me because the bike I spend the most time on is 2x10, with 11 of the gears being 70+. I'm not an exceptional athlete or anything, just an experienced roadie that likes fast rides.
~70 on my fixed gear is a good compromise, given the terrain around here.

>>1491981
I really miss being able to ride side by side, just inside arms length. You can't really carry on a conversation when you have to shout. Nowadays it feels like "riding separately to the same location".
>>
>>1492171
>Fuuuck, at first glance I thought the thumbnail was showing a bloodied chamois.

yeah, when I showed the pic to my friend, he thought it was a woman's wardrobe.
Gotta say though - the mask held up really nice. Since I literally dove face-first onto the tarmac, if I had been wearing a cloth mask, or none at all, things could have been much worse. As it is, I still have all my teeth, and most importantly, the bike made it out without a scratch, while insurance covers the big scratch my pedal made on the side of the car when I tumbled, so everything seems good.
>>
>>1489095
there are plenty of cringelords out there. convertible bmw that spews smoke from the exhaust, various shitboxes that are artificially loud, twin turbo crossover, pedestrians with unusual fashion sense, normalfag cyclists with 30 rpm cadence, weakfag cyclists with high cadence but in a really low gear, etc etc

no one gives a shit
just live your life
you can go full roadie and wear spandex and oakleys and shave your legs
it's whatever
>>
>>1489095
If I'm actually riding the bike nobody gives a fuck.
After frequenting my bike trail, I've gotten many friendly nods from roadies.
Just ride.
>>
>>1491981
The first two weeks of quarantine I was training for a 100k ride, did two 50ks, and now I barely have the energy to go 10 miles.
Just gotta push through.
>>
>>1489095
>I know you guys don't care about what other people think
>but don't you care what other people think?
You're a bit of an idiot, aren't you?
>>
I'm riding thick slicks in the front and bike, what would be a better front tire?
>>
>>1492448
GP4S
>>
>>1492420
Wait until you get corona. You feel "fine" but you decide to go for a ride after the symptoms have finally been gone for 14 days and just a 5 mile ride feels like you did a century on an empty stomach
>>
>>1490369
>This isn't something you have to worry about with track dropouts.
Yes it is. I had to put chain tensioners on my old Charge Plug because the wheel would move around when skidding.
>>
>>>1492518
What do you guys think? Should I cop? It's $500 CAD.
>>
Manic downswing guy here. I was slow as fuck today, but it was 91f (32c)
>>
>>1492522
no, too expensive for what it is
>>
>>1492522
Might have been 500 cad new. Maybe 200 now.
>>
>>1492667
Still faster than me.
>>
>>
Found a Cinelli Mash 2009 for $600 CAD on Craigslist, decent price? Carbon fork + gatorskins are listed.
>>
>>1495483
Here's the photo:
>>
>>1495485
already has Zen Chainring. just needs some foot retention and you'd be good anon.
>>
>>1495483
>>1495485
looks like a good deal, probably stolen though
>>
>>1495493
yh that's what I'm worried about. Haven't done much Craigslist purchasing. Guess just buy it and check online after?
>>
File: chinatown.jpg (8 KB, 300x153)
8 KB
8 KB JPG
>>1495485
>downward sloping top tube
>max spacer stack and bars angled up
god this makes me angry
FUCK these bikes

It's geometry suited to the most aerodynamic position possible so unless you literally want to go out and smack your knees into your chest and have your dick fall off and beat the hour record and break your back or cuck your entire aestheticsmobile with antithetical ugly compensations for the retarded frame design then how about no.
>>
File: ok lakeview.jpg (101 KB, 703x937)
101 KB
101 KB JPG
>>1489491
>that looks like its right off halsted. lincoln park meme
spot on, you know your Chicago. LP is a meme but it's so for a reason
>>
File: IMG_20200601_193354.jpg (3.29 MB, 4608x2176)
3.29 MB
3.29 MB JPG
Just got my very first fixie for 170$. I think it's some chink shit but I still love it. Looking forward to replace the handlebar and brakes.
>>
Beast bike pump?
>>
>>1495892
Let me know when it breaks.
>>
File: unnamed.jpg (24 KB, 450x337)
24 KB
24 KB JPG
i'm trying to build my first track bike and am currently looking for a slick (is it right to say "vintage style"? i mean sorta like pic rel) steel frame to buy with horizontal dropouts

what brands should i look into? i'm considering both new and second hand/ vintage stuff
>>
>>1484682
Fucking hot bike design and I don't even like fixies. One of the few times a gold chain does not look silly.
I wish there was a disc brake version of this frame.
>>
>>1483102
that douche is the average fix gear faggot personified lmao
>>
File: IMG_6984.jpg (1.61 MB, 3024x4032)
1.61 MB
1.61 MB JPG
Just got my first fixed gear.

I need a brake. Any recommendations? Is it only possible to buy it in parts? No complete set?

I'm interested in a single front brake on the centre of the bar.
>>
>>1490647

>Looks like Vittoria tires, skin walls,
>Generic hubs, Dimension/Novatec, etc
>Unknown brand of rims, probably generic

idk anon, I think $250 USD is overpriced for them. Maybe $150 is fair, $200 if you really need the wheels. I would do some research on the brand of the rims and the hubs to see if they are worth it. Cosmetically they look ok, but also a lil heavy.

The vittoria skinwalls will make anything look good tho.
>>
>>1495483
gangster, where in Canada are you?
>>
>>1497653
nice you got it
if you're really gonna ride it hard, do hooded drop bar levers
because if you need to emergency brake you don't want to have to move your hands to the tops where you have very little control.
and having hoods makes your drop bars more ergonomic, gives another hand position

cable the left one to a bell like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fs4QGFJUToc&

hows it ride anyway?
>>
>>1483092
why are fixies becoming more widespread? I don't get the appeal of having a fixed gear!
>>
>>1497665
Super smooth, shocked because I feel like I'm glued too it and the tires are narrow. Picks up speed real quick, handles bumps like a champ (air pressure is low) and I'm a weakling so stopping is more like slowing down 15 metres from the light. Wouldn't mind learning how to skid, but frankly I'm afraid, and trying to back pedal only leads to me being lifted up (atm).

I'm no bike expert, so all i can say is "fast and smooth". When the road is clear and long though, feels like I'm an arrow.
>>
>>1497668
my 2 cents, the 'aesthetic'/culture is a huge sell point, because most of the buyers are infrequent, local riders who just want to take advantage of the low traffic and nice sun over the summer.

Next point would be it's no nonsense mechanics.

The one people should focus on more but probably don't realize would be weight.
>>
>>1497605
https://www.cinelli-usa.com/supercorsa-pista-frame-set/
>>
>>1497668
i'm a singlespeed heretic but like if you're not a proper road cyclist and you're just doing shorter rides in a mostly flat city, a road bike is way overkill for that. for example an allez sprint comp disc is $2200 and it only has entry level wheels. you can build a sweet track bike for much less than that with good aero, stiffness and aggressive riding position. and a budget fixed gear bike can be fairly decent even at a lower price than an entry level road bike. the maintenance is less hassle, you can lock them up in the city without attracting thieves as much and there is no derailleur hanger that could get bent. you get way better performance than some normalfag dutch bike, internal gear hubs drain a lot of watts and dutch bikes are shitty in other ways too. fixed gear bikes are even simpler and arguably more elegant than singlespeed bikes since there is no freewheel and you don't need brakes (but a front brake at least is recommended). fixed gear has a different riding feel and takes better advantage of momentum as it helps you get through the weaker parts of your pedal stroke which people say is beneficial especially for climbing.
>>
File: allez.jpg (390 KB, 1920x640)
390 KB
390 KB JPG
>>1497681
>for example an allez sprint comp disc is $2200
anon...
a decent allez is $850
a good new fixie is cheaper but not by much.
>>
>>1497668
Fun, cheap, convenient, and reliable but best of all they're a e s t h e t i c making it easy to look cool riding one to the eyes of casuals so they get one. I'm more excited at what these 4th wave fixfags progress to after they realize how shitty the limitations of fixed can be sometimes just like how a decade ago 3rd wave fixfags moved to gravel/adventure/touring bikes.
>>
I bought my first geared bike. What happens now?
>>
>>1497766
Now you post in another thread. And also ride your new bike. Not neccesarily in that order.
>>
>>1497701
the base model allez is much faster than the bikes that normies ride but the discerning cyclist is advised to go for shimano 105 tier or above with nice folding bead tires. the allez only has claris (some brands don't bother with claris and start with sora or tiagra on their entry level bikes), tektro brakes, and wire bead tires. it has a more relaxed geometry than the allez sprint comp and it's not as stiff and aero. entry level road bike wheels aren't as stiff as decent track wheels because of the rear wheel dish, low profile rims, low flange hubs, and quick release wheel axles. the 56cm weighs 9.66kg according to road.cc which is noticeably heavier than a similarly priced track bike build. the drivetrain needs more care and the chain wears out faster. a road bike is a valid choice but again, if you only ride in the city and don't have long steep climbs there isn't much use in having gears, you can still ride fast enough with a single gear.
>>
File: IMG_20170831_201930.jpg (2.75 MB, 4032x3024)
2.75 MB
2.75 MB JPG
Got this bike 3 years ago and I've loved it. Kind of haven't kept up with keeping it in top shape, but I guess that's kind of the point of a fixie. It's a Fuji track 2016 model I think. I recently got a significant pay rise and am looking to spend around ~1000 quid on something like this but better and lighter. Any reccomendations?
>>
>>1497784
>I've loved it. Kind of haven't kept up with keeping it in top shape, but I guess that's kind of the point of a fixie.
No, that's not the point of a fixie at all. If you love it, you should take care of it so it will continue being a nice ride and last you a long time.
>>
>>1497784
if you don't mind the aluminium+carbon aero tarck aesthetic:
ribble eliminator al (£399 for the frameset)
cinelli vigorelli shark (£549.99 on ebay, more road-like geometry)
if you want steel, i'm not sure you'll get a huge upgrade from what you already have, maybe look at upgrading your crankset, wheels and saddle.
>>
>>1497778
>and it's not as stiff and aero
fixiefaggots are so delusional they start shitposting about the marginal 'stiffness' and 'aero' differences between decent entry level and fredmobile road bikes from their gaping chasm of slowness
>>
>>1497793
cope
>>
>>1497792
>crankset
I've been thinking for a while that I wouldn't mind the gear being a bit harder. If I'm honest I don't know what the gear settings are at right now, and wouldn't know how to go about changing it or knowing which one to buy
>>
>>1497134
>Beast bike pump
It's hard to beat Topeak Road Morph G. It has a flip out foot peg, flexible hose, and pressure gauge (that gets you ballpark). You can get small parts/rebuild kits, too. I still use one from 2013, replaced the orings in maybe 2018?

It's kind of a pain to swap between presta/schrader, but if you only use one type of valve, you set it and never think about it again.

>>1497653
>I'm interested in a single front brake
You can definitely buy single brakes. I would check my local coop first, then ebay and other online shops.

>>1497831
>wouldn't know how to go about changing it or knowing which one to buy
Take your current info, plug it into the 'surplace fixed gear calculator', and use that tool to figure out if there's a step down cog size that works for you. To swap your cog you'll need a lockring wrench and a chain whip. And a chain tool if you have to take a link out.

If you're a caveman you can tap the lockring off with a hammer & screwdriver, and just use your chain to move the cog off/on (called 'rotafix'). Or take it to a bike shop and they'll do it for $15.
>>
I have a 700c x 32 bike with a flip flop hub. I've only ever used the freewheel.

Can someone give me some logical reasons for why I should convert to fixed?

My area is really hilly with lots of 5% and 10% grades. My bike is in 65 gear inches to let me get up these hills.

What I usually do is wear myself out getting to the top of these hills, then coast and recover on the way down in preparation for the next hill. I feel like with a fixed gear I'd never be able to recover. I'd have to brake down the hills to keep the pedals from rotating too fast. I'd be slower on the downhills and probably slower on the uphills as well.

I don't see how fixed gear works for hilly terrain.
>>
>>1497908
There is no rational reason to ride fixed gear. It's just fun, and a different feel being more connected with what your bike does. It takes a special type of mindset to enjoy it.
>>
>>1495892
>>1497136
Turns out it's a custom bike from Bigshot.
Did I buy something decent?
https://www.bigshotbikes.com/pages/design-your-bike
>>
I'm considering getting a single speed commuting bike for when I start my TAship in August. My commute will be about 3 miles round trip a day and I might get pannier bags and take it to the store store if I find I like bike commuting. My budget is $500 max, can anyone recommend me a bike? I'm currently considering getting a Kilo TT.
>>
>>1498806
Kilo TT should be fine, from what I hear lurking these threads. No experience with one myself.
Also consider looking at the second hand market.
>>
RIDE BIKE

NO BRAKES

?

Please hit me when I'm crossing the street. My bank account is getting short on digits.
>>
>>1498806
if you push up your budget by $50 you can get the wide tire version Kilo WT
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t33M0gfeabI
>>
>>1498806
pannier bags get in the way on short wheelbase bikes
>>
>>1498822
>up your budget by $50 you can get the wide tire version
>spend more to get a worse bike
>>
>>1499016
>he thinks wider tires = worse bike
>>
File: 103830.jpg (123 KB, 540x960)
123 KB
123 KB JPG
>>1483092
I have a bike similar to the one in the picture. What are some rear carriers that I could attach to it?
>>
>>1500199
post an actual picture of it retard
>>
>>1500203
same model, dumby
>>
>>1500220
thats not the point.
>>
Fixed gear is ded. Prove me wrong by posting 5 fixed gear video channels that are still active and aren't pozzed.
>>
>>1500199
none
you shouldn't ride these. they're childrens' toys
>>
>>1500545
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrkVFY8V-H_JEH-Nv7ylN5g/videos
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHRUAMAzVUS_Szvxn55GXaQ/videos
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2IemUl4De-BkhHOq2bUNTw/videos
https://www.youtube.com/user/FOADFIXED801/videos
https://www.youtube.com/user/BboyScHero/videos
>>
What are reasons to buy a fixed gear bike?
>>
>>1500574
see >>1497681
>>
>>1500574

Cheap.
Fun as fuck.
Low maintenance.
>>
>>1483094
>not buying Crust Cycles’ “Towel Rack” ‘bar
>>
>>1500603
While I agree with the last two, I'm not so sure about the first.
Or maybe it's just that I'm a bit of a snob and don't even look at cheap bikes for fear of losing the other two points.

My bike was very cheap for what I got, but that's because I lucked out on the second hand market. And it didn't feel cheap when I bought it back when I was a hungry student.
>>
>>1500657

Well, specifically when someone says fixed gear is cheap, it generally means you can get a bike with higher tier components for less money. You don't have to get an expensive derailleur system, so that's anywhere from hundreds to thousands off the price from the start.
>>
>>1500657
just a quick overview, not claiming that these are directly comparable or that the prices are accurate

allez sprint disc frameset: $1200 (now $1500 on their website?)

kilo tt frameset: ~$190
bianchi super pista frameset: ~$560-600
aventon ultro frameset: $799
premium tier: cinelli/mash framesets

shimano 105 r7000 groupset: ~$500
shimano 105 r7020 disc groupset: ~$600

decent fixie crankset: ~$75-125
bling track crankset: ~$150-250

(note: there isn't a huge selection of new track framesets and wheelsets, and some frames are from straight up dodgy brands)
>>
>>1500840
usa?

fuji track $489.99
felt tk3 $999
dolan pre cursa is popular but not sure how feasible it is to buy in usa
there's also these:
https://www.cyclingweekly.com/group-tests/best-track-bikes-complete-buyers-guide-321160
>>
File: allez_sprint_track.jpg (92 KB, 920x640)
92 KB
92 KB JPG
>>1500835
When the second cheapest example you could think of is $600 just for the frameset, I don't think fixies can be generally said to be cheap.
Using Specialized (pretty much the Apple of the bicycle world) and 105 dicks as reference is just unnecessarily skewing the cost of a geard bike. There are cheaper bikes with gears you could be considering, if price is the reason you're considering fixed gear.

Also, I want me one of them allez sprint track frames with snazzy paint job.
>>
>>1500857
you can get a prebuilt chromoly fixie for like $400-500, that's cheaper than an entry level road bike from any decent brand
>>
>>1500861
also there are hi-ten steel fixies that are even cheaper, not recommended for enthusiast-level riding but they're affordable and adequate for commuting in high theft areas
>>
>>1500861
But is the fixie at that price point going to be a decent brand?
>>
>>1500866
kilo tt and fuji track are popular and recommended by a lot of people

state bicycle co and aventon had some issues which might be mostly a thing of the past. zach gallardo doesn't seem to like them but there are people who ride them and are happy with them.
>>
>>1500869

Aventon dinged and damaged bikes during manufacture and tried to cover it up. Sometimes literally with layered paint. They might have gotten their shit together since those incidents, but loss of trust is much harder to fix.
>>
File: 3_DSC4847.jpg (165 KB, 1500x1500)
165 KB
165 KB JPG
My first fixie (flip flop hub) is coming in the mail soon.

What do I have to remember when riding a fixie again? Not getting my shoelaces caught in the gears. Anthing else?
>>
>>1501053
What bike are you getting?
>>
>>1501596
Nevermind, used reverse image search and figured it out.
>>
File: white-1s.jpg (85 KB, 1024x1024)
85 KB
85 KB JPG
>>1501597
How bad I fuck up?

It ticked my boxes but I don't know shit. Online selection as a Canuck is always a challenge.
>>
>>1501600
I'm new to fixed gears as well and was primarily curious because every bike I've been looking into getting is sold out. From what little I know, it seems like a good bike excepting the peddles.
>>
>>1501053
>What do I have to remember when riding a fixie again?
Remember not to coast. If you forget, your bike will immediately and rudely remind you.
>>
>>1501603
Are you Canadian?

I had found a link on reddit that posted links to every fixie selling website in Canada: https://www.reddit.com/r/FixedGearBicycle/comments/d63dmx/a_complete_guide_to_buying_a_fixed_gear_online_as/

Some of them are sold out, several aren't though on the higher end.
>>
File: mosvichriot.jpg (1.44 MB, 940x4351)
1.44 MB
1.44 MB JPG
I'm thinking about building a fixed/single speed, the plan is to build a swift innacity no worries bike. It's my first fixie build but I have a classic old steel frame, a modern road bike and a 20 yo cyclocross bike. After spending some time on Google I found two frames that I really like, now I could need some help on what I really need. The frames I came up with is either Suicycle Riot (top 3 pics, Columbus Thron/Zona) or a Moskvich workshop triple triangle frame (bottom 3 pics, Columbus CroMor)
any opinions on the frames and which one is more suited to my purpose?
>>
>>1501600
not bad parts on it will be low end and the frame will be heavy hiten steel
>>
sold this a couple years ago after going otb not realizing i needed foot retention when trying fixed, how bad did i do

>>1488185
exceptionally hot

>>1488207
commuter fixed is very cool but i've always been hesistant as ive been told heavy fixed gear is not fun

>>1501053
maintain chain tension, if your chain comes loose it can flail around and cause damage to bike and you
>>
>>1501649
the one you like more
>>
>>1501657
it's chromoly
>>
>>1501657
Even sub-$300 bikes have 4130 these days. Read the goddamn specs before you opine.
>>
>>1501698
>that stem
>those bars
>went otb with two brakes
>two brakes
>those pedals
>that seatpost
>that seat position

You did good getting rid of it. You didn't know any better.

>>1501657
Do you mind, maybe, just maybe, kingys?

>>1501649
Swift will totally depend on you and if you have the right gearing for you.

Triple triangle frames will always be cool. The top three with the jet fuel coloring look great and are more contemporary. I'd probably go for the top.
>>
>>1502061
I was thinking about the frames today, likely I'll be happier with the triple triangle because I plan to use a riser bar. The suicycle frame on the other hand looks like it needs bullhorns or drops.
>>
>>1502230
Seems like the question just became moot, a friend called me, he's broke due to Covid, says he needs money to pay the rent and feed the kids. Oh well, there go my new bike savings.
>>
What good with this bike? It seems like an expensive frame. I've always wanted a nice fixie
>>
>>1502245
He can't get government assistance?
>>
>>1502253
Some, but it ain't enough apparently. Also he has to wait for part of the money for at least another month and needs cash now to make ends meet.
Well I guess I got some more months to save up the money again and think about frames.
>>
>>1502260
should've told him you're tight on money yourself
>>
>>1502266
I don't think you quite grasp the consept of being a good friend.
>>
>>1502269
there's too many sketchy people out there, both white and non-white, if it's just some dipshit you know from high school then you probably won't see that money again, he probably has a lot of frivolous expenses and there are other solutions than shaking down your friends
>>
>>1502272
I'm assuming OP isn't a complete moron, and since they are willing to lend/give money to a friend it's a good friend.
>>
>>1502272
people that cannot take care of their own are a poor people.
people that are unwilling to take care of their own are a weak people.
>>
>>1502269
There are so many assistance programs, private and public, that having to ask a friend for money is pretty much inexcusable.

If the person smokes, drinks, or uses and form of recreational drug, eats out, or what not, then they don't deserve anything from you. Between SNAP, emergency unemployment benefits, housing assistance, and direct cash assistance from states right now, not even diving into actual charities, there's no reason to be short on essential money if you're unemployed because of the virus.
>>
Today I witnessed a near accident, and then later I nearly caused on myself. Fuck riding brakeless. I feel like an asshole.
>>
>>1502246
not worth the asking price, everything else on the bike looks beat up or shitty
>>
if your chain comes off after hitting a pothole is it natural or is the chain too tight?
>>
>>1503573
it's too loose
>>
File: 1589405258561.jpg (20 KB, 660x371)
20 KB
20 KB JPG
>>1483092
LMAO, why would you do this to a bike, other than specialized velodrome bikes.
Fixed gears has always been for poors, children and woman.
>>
File: 1577403394878.png (578 KB, 1280x720)
578 KB
578 KB PNG
Would it be rude to show up to my LBS group road ride on my fixed gear? It's a no drop ride.
>>
File: 1584065788597.jpg (26 KB, 600x600)
26 KB
26 KB JPG
>>1504405
Roadies might even understand. These guys are mounting 1x, so whatever ridiculous shit you do, they will understand if you explain in terms of weight reduction.

You might ever drop one wheel and show up in pic related, and you will look clever to them.
>>
Found two different bikes I'm looking at, what do you guys think? This is a Gardin frame originally made for Cinelli, selling for $1000 CAD
>>
>>1505177
Here's one more, a 2013 Pista selling for $750 CAD
>>
File: spitfire.jpg (189 KB, 1410x1043)
189 KB
189 KB JPG
My first fixie arrived in the mail today.

I have to say, I really love it. It was a bit unusual at first because I kept trying to coast. And starting going is a bit of a skill. But the fixed gear just feels more solid and lively compared to the freewheel on the other side.

Being able to brake without the padels is kinda fun. So far this Landyachtz bike is really high quality, it's fast as fuck too.
>>
>>1484288
it's an acquired taste
>>
>>1487105
exploding fixie knees is a symptom of noobs not knowing how to fit their shit
>>
>>1506192

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.