[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/n/ - Transportation

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: bikepacking.jpg (449 KB, 700x540)
449 KB
449 KB JPG
Ok this was posted on /out/ but I thought it would also fit this board well as it is bike-specific.
I want to do something special during this years summer holidays and the best thing I could come up with is doing a bike tour to the sea and go back home by train. The only problem is that I have never done a bike tour before, I only hike and camp in the forest. So I have a couple of questions:
1. According to google maps I would have to go about 550km. Are 5 days a good estimate?
2. I only have backpacking gear and a bike. I assume the only things I would still need to buy are proper bike bags and maybe a repair kit. I own a tent and the ususal camping equipment.
3. How am I supposed to buy stuff without leaving my bike alone? I cant just buy a lock for every single bag of equipment.
4. How much training would I need, assuming that I am in relatively good shape but a bit skinny? I dont ride my bicycle more often than once a week usually atm.
5. How does one find a good camping spot while biking? When walking through the forest I usually just go away from the path to find a lonely place where nobody is going to see me, but I will probably just cycle on proper ways without good opportunities. Do I just drive away from my road into less crowded areas in the evening?
Please share all your experience bike camping, bonus points for including pics. If you have different ideas for trips that dont force me to spend a ton of money I am also happy about it. Thank you everyone.
PS: I am living in Germany if that matters.
>>
1. Yes. Do it in 6 or 7 days and have some fun stops.

3. Keep your bike in sight. If you stop at walmart go up to the curbside pickup area the employees are there smokin. Tell them youll buy whoever watches your bike a monster or something. Ps cameras everywhere there.

4. Practice long slow rides. Practice going on back to back days.

5. Sleep in a farmers field or in the clearing between the trees/hedgerow and the field.

Also a tip from backpack travel. Have a small rope where at the end of the day when sleeping you can tie one bit to your bike and one bit to your arm. So in addition to it being locked it is tied to you. I found this useful on IC eurorail where 2nd class cabins didnt lock
>>
Ok forget 2 because Germany doesnt have walmart. You can use that trick at big supermarkets though.
>>
>>1475594
>>1475596
Thanks anon, many useful tips. The only thing I am not sure about is sleeping on fields since I know some farmers who get angry about this. But the Walmart advice is awesome and it will work with every supermarket.
>>
File: Capture d’écran (20).png (3.34 MB, 1920x1080)
3.34 MB
3.34 MB PNG
>Please share all your experience bike camping, bonus points for including pics. If you have different ideas for trips that dont force me to spend a ton of money I am also happy about it. Thank you everyone.

You can use a tarp and go very light.

Do you plan to go on the roads, or on trails? You can use the EuroVelo routes for planning.

Also, don't expect the borders to be open this summer with the covid situation (at least if you plan to go through France or Belgium).
>>
>>1475589
>3. How am I supposed to buy stuff without leaving my bike alone? I cant just buy a lock for every single bag of equipment.
keep your valuables together and bring them in with you
leave the rest on the bike

obviously not in some areas but apply common sense, be quick, and try keep it visible through the window. That's what most people do. It's not a huge risk.

If i come to a town/city where i want to be away from the bike for a while, I often find a house or a shop that will let me leave the bike there for a few hours. All bike shops will let you. Old people often will. Garages. Any place with a bit of space, that you can have a friendly chat with. You can get a lot further on a bike tour through freindly chats with cunts.
>>
>>1475594
>Sleep in the farmer's field
This does not apply to America I assume
>>
>>1475640
>EuroVelo
Nice, haven't heard of them yet. I'll check it out.
I don't plan to go out of this country because the bike tour is just my plan b, I originally wanted to travel to another country which won't work now.
>>1475856
Great, the idea with leaving the bike at a bike shop will definitely be of use.
Thank you both!
>>
>>1475640
Oh and I plan to go on cycle paths where possible, I don't own a real mountainbike more like an offroad trekking bike tho so I will not go through forests or something like that. The type of way that can be seen on your pic related would be my preferred type of travel.
>>
>>1475882
The trick about sleeping in the area between the treeline and the crops you can do in america, especially cornfields. Dont do it during turkey hunting season but other than that is fine.
>>
>>1475589
don't. just from your post i see you aren't prepared and you'll have a bad time
>>
>>1475589
>1. According to google maps I would have to go about 550km. Are 5 days a good estimate?
For me? Sure. For you, if you have to ask? Probably more like 8.
>2. I only have backpacking gear and a bike. I assume the only things I would still need to buy are proper bike bags and maybe a repair kit. I own a tent and the ususal camping equipment.
Racks, panniers (Banjo Bros makes good stuff), various tools and spare parts. Less so if you make sure all your brake pads, chain, cogs, tires, etc are in good shape before you begin.
3. Why would you need to buy stuff?
4. If you are willing to take 8-10+ days to do it, not much. If you want to do it in 5 days, considering you'll be loaded with a bunch of gear, maybe a few months.
5. If you're not touring in a wilderness area, look on google maps from home before you start your tour, have some spots planned in advance.
>>
>>1476241
>>1475589
>5. If you're not touring in a wilderness area, look on google maps from home before you start your tour, have some spots planned in advance.
I would recommend OSMand if this is the case because anyway I have found it to have far better cycling navigation that google, including a nice feature to turn the screen on only before the next direction to save battery, but it also allows you to download the map of the world by region, and does all the navigation calculation offline so you don't have to rely on cellular internet. If you're a /g/ fag you'll also like the fact that it is free and open source (the software equivalent of being organic).
>>
File: RIMG0069.jpg (2.06 MB, 3648x2736)
2.06 MB
2.06 MB JPG
>>1475589
>1. According to google maps I would have to go about 550km. Are 5 days a good estimate?
You can do 110km a day, but take a week, a day off every couple hundred km is nice.
>2. I only have backpacking gear and a bike. I assume the only things I would still need to buy are proper bike bags and maybe a repair kit. I own a tent and the ususal camping equipment.
yep
>3. How am I supposed to buy stuff without leaving my bike alone? I cant just buy a lock for every single bag of equipment.
Not much of a problem in the German countryside afaikt, just lock up your bike oudside the store
>4. How much training would I need, assuming that I am in relatively good shape but a bit skinny? I dont ride my bicycle more often than once a week usually atm.
Not much as long as you keep to the flatter parts of Germany, buy some cycling padded underpants, or your ass will hurt
>5. How does one find a good camping spot while biking? When walking through the forest I usually just go away from the path to find a lonely place where nobody is going to see me, but I will probably just cycle on proper ways without good opportunities. Do I just drive away from my road into less crowded areas in the evening?
Wild camping is frustratingly illegal in Germany, I suggest you use the official camping grounds which are plenty and have pleasant surprises like Berlin student girls playing nudist volleyball with you. Other than that, MV has a a couple legal designated wild camping areas, those are also good, other than that, ask the local farmer for permission if you wanna hunker down on his land.

t. biked twice from Berlin to the Baltic sea, then along the coast down to Hamburg.
>>
File: 9783895912252xxl.jpg (70 KB, 325x620)
70 KB
70 KB JPG
>>1476241
>>1476316
P.S. for Germany specifically, I'd recommend buying a cycling map. The cycling trails in Brandenburg & MV are excellent and they have tons of signs and signals. But the map is nice, telling you about every shop and restaurant, ever castle or historically important place and hidden nudist camp ground on the route.

The Berlin-Rostok bit and the Berlin-Usedom bit are especially nice, and the whole stretch on the MV coast is great, Greifswald, Stralsund, Wismar, that bit.
>>
2. a rear bike rack with a milk crate is a budget option. I fit a 50L backpack propped up vertically in one on my first trip. also a rain cover. I've seen people drill holes in laundry detergent buckets and twist tie them to a pannier rack too. makes for a good waterproof seal.
3. like other anon said, have a single small bag with your valuables that goes where you do when you leave the bike. no one's going to care about your grimy camping gear.
4. don't wait too long to start looking for a camping spot for the night. apart from forests and fields I've done children's playgrounds and sports fields before, just after sun down
other tips:
- your butt will hurt more than anything else after the first day. if you don't want to buy cycle shorts just stuff a tshirt or something in your underwear for cush
- your calorie intake will approximately double, think about how this effects your food budget, storage space
- the back of your hands and your quads will sunburn the quickest
>>
Just bring one lock and make sure your bike is somewhere where people can see it, people aren't gonna steal a touring bike laden down with bags and they're not going to want your unwashed cycling shorts.
Training wise, just go for some long day rides when you can and practise finding a decent pace you can keep up with; but in all honesty you'll improve as you ride on your tour.
I always used supermarkets for my rest stops as they normally had somewhere to wash my face and get food.

t.anon who cycled from the UK to the South of France and back again last summer and had the best holiday he's ever had.
>>
File: AhgHtnP.jpg (143 KB, 1366x768)
143 KB
143 KB JPG
>>1476354
>Wild camping is frustratingly illegal in Germany

Just be smart about it. Don't be loud, set up in the evening and leave before its bright, don't start a massive campfire and set up somewhere out of the way.
>>
>>1476402
I honestly found it easier and much more comfortable to ask the farmer in charge for permission and maybe help out with 5€.
>>
>>1476354
>Berlin student girls playing nudist volleyball with you.
Story time?
>>
>>1476481
It really was just a innocent volleyball game with some nude girls. I just happened to be at the right camping at the right time.
>>
>>1476486
>innocent
ya sure. You weren't nude?
>>
>>1476487
I lost my swim trunks sometime during the match as they seemed inappropriate. No, I'm not a chad, no I did not have sex.
>>
>>1476490
>No, I'm not a chad
idk but you sound like a gigachad if you traveled from berlin to baltic sea on bike and played nude volleyball with girls. You seem like a very cool dude to hang out with, don't loose confidence just because of minor things.
>>
OP here back at it again to thank for your advice.
>>1476241
>Why would you need to buy stuff?
Not gonna carry food for a week
>>1476316
>the software equivalent of being organic
kek, as a free software fanboy I know osmand already as my goto google maps alternative. Haven't used it for cycling yet tho, I guess I will try it in the next days.
>>1476354
>t. biked twice from Berlin to the Baltic sea, then along the coast down to Hamburg.
Wow, that sounds awesome. I guess I will stick to official campsites then, I somehow did not think of that already. The best reason for it is having an actual shower. I would love to hear more about your tour btw, sounds like you had a lot of fun
>>1476360
Thanks, I'll look into it
>>1476387
Thank you, many good ideas for low budget travelling. Fuck consoomers. I guess I will buy proper cycling underwear though as many have already recommended that. And I can maybe borrow some bike bags from friends or relatives.
>>1476392
Yeah I think I just have to worry less about that thing, most people aren't dicks [citation needed]
>t.anon who cycled from the UK to the South of France and back again last summer and had the best holiday he's ever had.
If you've got the time I would love to hear your story.
>>1476402
Yeah in my experience most people dont give a fuck about it but you never know
>>1476419
Good idea!
>>1476492
Based and wholesome anon, thanks for being kind instead of shitting all over the place like most anons do.
>>
File: RIMG0074.jpg (2.05 MB, 3648x2736)
2.05 MB
2.05 MB JPG
>>1476832
First time I biked the Berlin-Usedom bike path and then from Usedom I followed the coastal bike route down to Hamburg. It's a clam trip trough endless countryside, places like Schorfheide are some of the least densely settled places in Germany, bring enough water and cash, as both fountains and ATM's are sparse. Prices are super cheap tho if you find a Cafe or Shop. Also many old Gutshof now serves as a local shop/kita/cafe/sleepinnabarn/hostel. Also many small camping by the local lakes, some are posh,some are family, some are camouflaged hippy colonies, places where you can live in a tent all year round. pick your poison
I followed the route trough Eberswalde, Joachimsthal, Prenzlau, Passewalk, Torgelow down to Uckermünde and took the ferry from there. Usedom is nice, but tons of old pensioners, More fun is the Polish side Świnoujście (ex-Swinemünde), camping and alcohol is cheaper there and lots of young people making party at the beach.
Then I just rode down the coast, Greifswald, Stralsund and Wismar are really nice old Hanse towns.

The 2nd trip was from Berlin via Oranienburg, Zehdenick, Fürstenberg, Waren (Müritz) Güstrow, Rostock. This trip included much of the MV Seenplate, it was a little harder to ride because of more altitude. The Seenplate is great, tho Rostock isn't that much of a sight. I like the first tour a little better because of the beautiful coast between Usedom and Rostock.

Also I slept on camping grounds, in a framers field, on designated wild camping sites, in the straw of a barn, in a luxury chamber in an old Gutshof, I've been invited twice by people to sleep on their couch and I had a really good time. In case you're tired, take the the train, in case it rains, visit the next town, there is so many historical sites.
Bring a spare tube and some tools and the usually camping stuff, and buy some padded undies. You don't really need a stove or pots unless you're on a hardcore budget.
>>
File: RIMG0118.jpg (2 MB, 3648x2736)
2 MB
2 MB JPG
>>1476851
As mentioned, I like the bike maps, they are old fashioned, but they work better on a bike. Also take some time to visit the sights in the towns you pass trough, Güstrow for example has one of the best castles in all of MV, Stralsund has perfect medieval old town etc.
Other than that, enjoy the countryside and the landscapes, it's really beautiful. Swim in the lakes, swim in the sea, take a canoe trip, eat seriously good Backfish at the coast or visit a Pommerian farmer market and try the sausage.
>>
File: RIMG0192.jpg (2.05 MB, 3648x2736)
2.05 MB
2.05 MB JPG
>>1476855
What's so nice about cycling in Eastern Germany is the cycling network, they literally built hundreds of KM of unobstructed cycling paths in the Pampa, normally far away from regular roads and normally pristine asphalt. There are some stretches where there is natural pavement, those are often a bit sandy and harder to drive if you have thin tires. Also since there is cycling tourism some infrastructure has developed, you'll often find shops and and other places that cater specifically to cyclists, for example where major bike lanes cross there will also be a cafe and somebody selling tubes or other bike parts.
>>
>>1476851
>>1476855
>>1476858
Thank you so much, I really appreciate the time you put into answering me. This sounds like the dream vacation to me, being spontaneus, outdoors and seeing a lot of cool stuff. It is also of course way better for budget and the environment than flying just for a holiday. I am now really looking forward to my tour and hope that it will at least be allowed to open campsites again in the summer. But there are still some months until then and I am optimistic about this whole thing (not sure about other countries though).
>>
File: RIMG0098.jpg (2.09 MB, 3648x2736)
2.09 MB
2.09 MB JPG
>>1477267
All good bro, I hope they at least allow low level tourism in summer and you'll be able to make your trip, and until then stay safe and enjoy your local rides.
If it is ok with you I'll do a pic dump with old OC.
>>
File: RIMG0086_2.jpg (905 KB, 1276x1701)
905 KB
905 KB JPG
>>1477277
>>
File: RIMG0089.jpg (2.04 MB, 3648x2736)
2.04 MB
2.04 MB JPG
>>
File: RIMG0082.jpg (2.08 MB, 3648x2736)
2.08 MB
2.08 MB JPG
>>
File: RIMG0077.jpg (2.03 MB, 3648x2736)
2.03 MB
2.03 MB JPG
>>1477281
>>
File: RIMG0078.jpg (2.05 MB, 3648x2736)
2.05 MB
2.05 MB JPG
>>
File: RIMG0081.jpg (2.03 MB, 3648x2736)
2.03 MB
2.03 MB JPG
>>
File: RIMG0080.jpg (2.03 MB, 3648x2736)
2.03 MB
2.03 MB JPG
>>1477286
>>
File: RIMG0083.jpg (2.05 MB, 3648x2736)
2.05 MB
2.05 MB JPG
>>
File: RIMG0084.jpg (2.04 MB, 3648x2736)
2.04 MB
2.04 MB JPG
>>
File: RIMG0085.jpg (2.03 MB, 3648x2736)
2.03 MB
2.03 MB JPG
>>
File: RIMG0088.jpg (2.03 MB, 3648x2736)
2.03 MB
2.03 MB JPG
>>
File: RIMG0090.jpg (2.05 MB, 3648x2736)
2.05 MB
2.05 MB JPG
>>
File: RIMG0091.jpg (2.04 MB, 3648x2736)
2.04 MB
2.04 MB JPG
>>
File: RIMG0092.jpg (2.04 MB, 3648x2736)
2.04 MB
2.04 MB JPG
>>
File: RIMG0093.jpg (2.05 MB, 3648x2736)
2.05 MB
2.05 MB JPG
>>
File: RIMG0095.jpg (2.09 MB, 3648x2736)
2.09 MB
2.09 MB JPG
>>
File: RIMG0097.jpg (2.06 MB, 3648x2736)
2.06 MB
2.06 MB JPG
>>
File: RIMG0101.jpg (2.04 MB, 3648x2736)
2.04 MB
2.04 MB JPG
>>
File: RIMG0099.jpg (1.99 MB, 3648x2736)
1.99 MB
1.99 MB JPG
>>
File: RIMG0104.jpg (2.07 MB, 3648x2736)
2.07 MB
2.07 MB JPG
>>
File: RIMG0105.jpg (2.05 MB, 3648x2736)
2.05 MB
2.05 MB JPG
>>
File: RIMG0106.jpg (2.02 MB, 3648x2736)
2.02 MB
2.02 MB JPG
>>
File: RIMG0107.jpg (2.01 MB, 3648x2736)
2.01 MB
2.01 MB JPG
>>
File: RIMG0112.jpg (2.06 MB, 3648x2736)
2.06 MB
2.06 MB JPG
>>
File: RIMG0114.jpg (2.03 MB, 3648x2736)
2.03 MB
2.03 MB JPG
>>
File: RIMG0116.jpg (2.07 MB, 3648x2736)
2.07 MB
2.07 MB JPG
>>
File: RIMG0115.jpg (2 MB, 3648x2736)
2 MB
2 MB JPG
Feet go into Baltic Sea.
that was some impressions of the Berlin Usedom trail. The one night it was raining I rented a chamber at a local Gutshof for like 25 € because I was tired and rather had a warm bed than sleeping in the cold mud in my tent.
>>
Is it worth using a dynamo or solar panels on top of the backrack to charge my phone and lights along the way?
>>
>>1477328
removing the variable of ever having to charge or think about lights is fucking amazing especially if you're touring in summer riding at night or early in the morning can be fantastic and the optics from nicer dynamo headlights are really great too.

I've got a charger thingy but i very rarely use it, for some reason the small watt drain from running lights at night never bothers me but i can't bear losing it to charging stuff during the day, even though it's not even noticeable it just feels wrong. And they charge really slow. 8 hours riding might not even get you a full phone charge. A full day sun with a solar panel is about the same. Iunno. That's just me i tend to not even use my phone, do paper maps + asking for directions it's kinda fun and if you plan to mostly pay for campsite you'll have outlets available or if you like hanging out in cafes and stuff.
>>
>>1477328
Meh, every camping and restaurant has a power socket, easiest is to just bring a cable and charge your stuff while you eat lunch or take a shower, in case you want to play it extra save a small power-bank might come in handy every now and then.
>>
File: RIMG0113.jpg (2.03 MB, 3648x2736)
2.03 MB
2.03 MB JPG
>>
File: RIMG0117.jpg (2.05 MB, 3648x2736)
2.05 MB
2.05 MB JPG
>>
File: RIMG0119.jpg (2.02 MB, 3648x2736)
2.02 MB
2.02 MB JPG
>>
File: RIMG0120.jpg (2.05 MB, 3648x2736)
2.05 MB
2.05 MB JPG
>>
File: RIMG0121.jpg (2.07 MB, 3648x2736)
2.07 MB
2.07 MB JPG
>>
File: RIMG0123.jpg (2.08 MB, 3648x2736)
2.08 MB
2.08 MB JPG
>>
File: RIMG0124.jpg (2.01 MB, 3648x2736)
2.01 MB
2.01 MB JPG
>>
File: RIMG0125.jpg (2.07 MB, 3648x2736)
2.07 MB
2.07 MB JPG
>>
File: RIMG0127.jpg (2.05 MB, 3648x2736)
2.05 MB
2.05 MB JPG
>>
File: RIMG0128.jpg (2.01 MB, 3648x2736)
2.01 MB
2.01 MB JPG
>>
File: RIMG0129.jpg (2.06 MB, 3648x2736)
2.06 MB
2.06 MB JPG
>>
File: RIMG0130.jpg (2.05 MB, 3648x2736)
2.05 MB
2.05 MB JPG
>>
File: RIMG0138.jpg (1.99 MB, 3648x2736)
1.99 MB
1.99 MB JPG
>>
File: RIMG0139.jpg (2.06 MB, 3648x2736)
2.06 MB
2.06 MB JPG
>>
File: RIMG0140.jpg (2.05 MB, 3648x2736)
2.05 MB
2.05 MB JPG
>>
File: RIMG0143.jpg (2.05 MB, 3648x2736)
2.05 MB
2.05 MB JPG
>>
File: RIMG0144.jpg (2.02 MB, 3648x2736)
2.02 MB
2.02 MB JPG
>>
File: RIMG0145.jpg (2.07 MB, 3648x2736)
2.07 MB
2.07 MB JPG
>>
File: RIMG0151.jpg (2.04 MB, 3648x2736)
2.04 MB
2.04 MB JPG
>>
File: RIMG0154.jpg (87 KB, 640x480)
87 KB
87 KB JPG
>>
File: RIMG0156.jpg (85 KB, 640x480)
85 KB
85 KB JPG
>>
File: RIMG0155.jpg (87 KB, 640x480)
87 KB
87 KB JPG
>>
File: RIMG0157.jpg (86 KB, 640x480)
86 KB
86 KB JPG
>>
File: RIMG0158.jpg (86 KB, 640x480)
86 KB
86 KB JPG
>>
File: RIMG0161.jpg (87 KB, 640x480)
87 KB
87 KB JPG
>>
File: RIMG0163.jpg (2.07 MB, 3648x2736)
2.07 MB
2.07 MB JPG
>>
File: RIMG0165.jpg (2.06 MB, 3648x2736)
2.06 MB
2.06 MB JPG
>>
File: RIMG0166.jpg (2.01 MB, 3648x2736)
2.01 MB
2.01 MB JPG
>>
File: RIMG0167.jpg (2.04 MB, 3648x2736)
2.04 MB
2.04 MB JPG
>>
File: RIMG0168.jpg (2.09 MB, 3648x2736)
2.09 MB
2.09 MB JPG
>>
File: RIMG0169.jpg (2.06 MB, 3648x2736)
2.06 MB
2.06 MB JPG
>>
File: RIMG0170.jpg (2.08 MB, 3648x2736)
2.08 MB
2.08 MB JPG
>>
File: RIMG0171.jpg (2.05 MB, 3648x2736)
2.05 MB
2.05 MB JPG
>>
File: RIMG0172.jpg (2.05 MB, 3648x2736)
2.05 MB
2.05 MB JPG
>>
File: RIMG0173.jpg (2.08 MB, 3648x2736)
2.08 MB
2.08 MB JPG
>>
File: RIMG0174.jpg (2.1 MB, 3648x2736)
2.1 MB
2.1 MB JPG
>>
File: RIMG0183.jpg (2.05 MB, 3648x2736)
2.05 MB
2.05 MB JPG
>>
File: RIMG0180.jpg (85 KB, 640x480)
85 KB
85 KB JPG
>>
File: RIMG0184.jpg (2.05 MB, 3648x2736)
2.05 MB
2.05 MB JPG
>>
File: RIMG0186.jpg (2.03 MB, 3648x2736)
2.03 MB
2.03 MB JPG
>>
File: RIMG0187.jpg (1.99 MB, 3648x2736)
1.99 MB
1.99 MB JPG
>>
File: RIMG0188.jpg (2.08 MB, 3648x2736)
2.08 MB
2.08 MB JPG
>>
File: RIMG0189.jpg (2.06 MB, 3648x2736)
2.06 MB
2.06 MB JPG
>>
File: RIMG0190.jpg (2.05 MB, 3648x2736)
2.05 MB
2.05 MB JPG
>>
File: RIMG0191.jpg (2.02 MB, 3648x2736)
2.02 MB
2.02 MB JPG
>>
File: RIMG0193.jpg (2.04 MB, 3648x2736)
2.04 MB
2.04 MB JPG
>>
File: RIMG0194.jpg (2.07 MB, 3648x2736)
2.07 MB
2.07 MB JPG
>>
File: RIMG0195.jpg (2.05 MB, 3648x2736)
2.05 MB
2.05 MB JPG
>>
File: RIMG0197.jpg (2.04 MB, 3648x2736)
2.04 MB
2.04 MB JPG
>>
File: RIMG0198.jpg (2.02 MB, 3648x2736)
2.02 MB
2.02 MB JPG
>>
File: RIMG0200.jpg (2.07 MB, 3648x2736)
2.07 MB
2.07 MB JPG
>>
File: RIMG0201.jpg (2.07 MB, 3648x2736)
2.07 MB
2.07 MB JPG
>>
File: RIMG0202.jpg (2.05 MB, 3648x2736)
2.05 MB
2.05 MB JPG
>>
File: RIMG0203.jpg (2.03 MB, 3648x2736)
2.03 MB
2.03 MB JPG
>>
File: RIMG0206.jpg (2.06 MB, 3648x2736)
2.06 MB
2.06 MB JPG
>>
File: RIMG0208.jpg (2.02 MB, 3648x2736)
2.02 MB
2.02 MB JPG
>>
File: RIMG0213.jpg (1.98 MB, 3648x2736)
1.98 MB
1.98 MB JPG
>>
File: RIMG0210.jpg (2.08 MB, 3648x2736)
2.08 MB
2.08 MB JPG
>>
File: RIMG0212.jpg (2.06 MB, 3648x2736)
2.06 MB
2.06 MB JPG
>>
File: RIMG0217.jpg (2 MB, 3648x2736)
2 MB
2 MB JPG
>>
File: RIMG0218.jpg (2.02 MB, 3648x2736)
2.02 MB
2.02 MB JPG
>>
File: RIMG0219.jpg (2.04 MB, 3648x2736)
2.04 MB
2.04 MB JPG
>>
File: RIMG0222.jpg (2.03 MB, 3648x2736)
2.03 MB
2.03 MB JPG
>>
File: RIMG0225.jpg (2.01 MB, 3648x2736)
2.01 MB
2.01 MB JPG
>>1477487
>>
File: RIMG0229.jpg (1.96 MB, 3648x2736)
1.96 MB
1.96 MB JPG
>>
File: RIMG0232.jpg (2.01 MB, 3648x2736)
2.01 MB
2.01 MB JPG
>>
File: RIMG0234.jpg (1.99 MB, 3648x2736)
1.99 MB
1.99 MB JPG
>>
File: RIMG0241.jpg (1.95 MB, 3648x2736)
1.95 MB
1.95 MB JPG
>>
File: RIMG0242.jpg (2.02 MB, 3648x2736)
2.02 MB
2.02 MB JPG
>>
File: RIMG0244.jpg (1.97 MB, 3648x2736)
1.97 MB
1.97 MB JPG
>>
File: RIMG0246.jpg (1.99 MB, 3648x2736)
1.99 MB
1.99 MB JPG
>>
File: RIMG0247.jpg (1.98 MB, 3648x2736)
1.98 MB
1.98 MB JPG
>>
File: RIMG0260.jpg (2.02 MB, 3648x2736)
2.02 MB
2.02 MB JPG
Took the train from Travemünde to Hamburg because reasons and then spent another 3 days in HH. That was a 2 week trip in total
>>
>>1477277
Wow thanks a ton anon. This is some seriously beautiful imagery! Did all of your stuff fit into that bag? It looks relatively small on the pictures but maybe its just perspective. And how much did you pay for that bike? I don't want to buy a new bike as the one that I use now is perfectly fine but damn that looks aesthetic
>>
File: RIMG0040.jpg (2.08 MB, 3648x2736)
2.08 MB
2.08 MB JPG
>>1477866
All I had with me fitted into the saddle bag and the messenger bag. As I learned the saddle bag makes the bike a wheelie machine and riding days on end with a messenger bag brings back pain.
>>
File: IMG_20190820_144704.jpg (1.74 MB, 2448x2448)
1.74 MB
1.74 MB JPG
>>1477866
I bought the bike used for ~400€. Despite being a road bike I use it for touring because it has a ridiculously strong (and heavy) tubing. Because of the issues with the saddle bag I rigged a panier carrier on it and it rides much better now, also I use a small backpack with a mesh back fro ventilation, so I don't sweat that hard.
>>
File: IMG_20190816_182042.jpg (2.1 MB, 2448x2448)
2.1 MB
2.1 MB JPG
>>1477866
For the weight, I learned that if you have the space, you tend to bring a lot of stuff that you don't really need or use, and that means dead weight. So I try to make my load-out to ~10kg of gear and clothes and that's it.
P.S. if you have a simple handle bar and can't change hand positions, buy some cheap padded cycling gloves, hands start to hurt like mad afters days of riding,
>>
>>1477306
>>1477299
Thanks so much for posting these awesome set of travel pics. Very cool.
>>
>>1477319
The fact that you did this on a classic steel pinarello makes it even better. With no rear rack!
>>
>>1476832
based free software / bikepacking anon
>>
damn this thread is comfy. currently planning to cycle across western europe next summer on muh steel bike and this is really inspiring.
>>
File: 1200px-Dolmen_quélarn.jpg (421 KB, 1200x900)
421 KB
421 KB JPG
>>1478284
That's a late 90's Asolo with custom Pinarello Dolmen tubing, basically rebranded oversized Dedacciai Zero-Tre tubes. Back in the day they built mountain bikes with this stuff, Pinarello decided to build a road bike with it. The brand name Dolmen is Italian humour for "solid as a rock, weighs a ton, lasts forever". The previous owner slapped some Mavic CXP-30 rims on it, likely the single most overbuilt deep-v rims ever made and out came a road bike that was built to carry heavy loads and take tons of abuse.
Downsides are the missing rack, using a saddle bag turns you into a wheelie machine because the center of gravity is pushed back so far, I fixed that by clamping a tubus rack on it.Also I can't fit any tire over 25mm so definitely not a gravel bike and you risk a ruptured tube when you push it too hard with curbs and such and lastly the brakes are a little on the weak side when you ride with luggage, it works, but it could be better.
Other than that a very comfortable frame to ride on long runs.
>>
>>1477319
based and jobstpilled

fyi that's why he had his built with long stays, he also did a ton of climbing with a carradice
>>
OP here, I did a 60 km ride yesterday, didn't have time for more. My ass did not hurt at all, my hands maybe a little bit but it was far from bothering me (I have a straight handle btw), what did hurt though was my neck. I don't even have an unergonomic roadbike, more of a touring bike (some old trek dualsport) but constantly bending my neck wasn't really comfortable. What am I doing wrong?
>>
>>1478582
>constantly bending my neck
Something is very wrong with your position on the bike, either that or your bike does not fit you well, because the neck pain is from constantly sticking up your neck, it's just sore muscles.
>>
>>1478672
I thought so but what am I doing wrong? How can I even fuck up just sitting on a bike?
>>
this nibba really bought a aluminium frame bike for touring lmao
>>
>>1479222
Hard to say without seeing you on the bike. Is your bike the proper size? did you adjust the seat post to your height? Also is that your bike in the OP post?
>>
>>1479596
Not sure about what the proper size means but I assume the answer is yes. Seat is adjusted and op pic is just some random image I found on the internet. My bike is an older version of pic related
>>
>>1479643
>Not sure about what the proper size means
Bike frames come in different sizes. If you're bike for example is too small for you, then it would explain the awkward seating position. But it is really had to tell without seeing you on the bike. Best would be to ask at the next cycling shop or something what wrong with you.
>>
>>1479898
>ask at the next cycling shop
I mean I bought my bike there and I asked if it was the right size before buying it, they also seem trustworthy to me and have no reason to lie. Maybe I was just sitting a bit awkward on there, I can't remember ever having neck problems after biking before. Anyways, thank you
>>
Does the brand/style of rack matter or should I just go to the bike shop and get whatever they have that fits on my bike?
>>
>>1479985
The brand doesn't matter as much as the style and fit, make sure its made to carry paniers. If you want to splurge, buy Tubus, German quality racks.
>>
bümp
>>
What's a good lock for a solo bike tour? I want to avoid cities and mostly rely on small town shops and gas stations, I don't think those are frequented by professional bike thieves.
I was considering a cable lock with an alarm, but after watching a few videos of people cutting them in a single snap with bolt cutters or even wire cutters, I'm looking at one of these. They seem more secure and pack up compactly, but their weights start at 700 grams for any decent length.
Is there anything that balances weight, security and peace of mind better than these?
>>
>>1483478
Honestly man, I'd stick with a standard u-lock.
Those folding locks always seemed kinda cheap to me, but maybe the good ones are better than a u-lock.
>>
>>1483494
I don't need it to withstand professional thieves while unsupervised for hours, I just want something that can't be snapped in one motion while I'm shopping or shitting inside. I know they can be defeated quickly with specialist tools, but I don't think anyone would be brazen enough to bring long bolt cutters or an angle grinder and start working on it in front of a gas station filled with cameras.
Maybe add an alarm to that? I'm sure there are ones that you can put on your bike that react to vibrations or movement.
>>
>>1483494
Seconding this. Just get the smallest ulock that'll fit through one of your tubes and some pole.
>>
>>1483500
Anything that has joints can be snapped with enough leverage. The trick is having a small u-lock so that a thief can't wedge a lever inside it.
>>
>>1483511
Yeah I'm sure if a guy brings a 2 meter iron bar under his coat and wedges it in the lock, he'll manage to mangle my frame and possibly the lock as well.
The idea is to discourage random local drunkards from riding away on it, not park it for a day in front of a shopping center. And you can't u-lock it to a tree innnawoods.
>>
>>1483522
Dude, any lock that is not a u-lock can be snapped with ease. There's no magic lock that is lightweight and offers decent protection against cutting.
>>
>>1483523
Post 1 video of someone snapping a folding lock actually attached to a bike.
>>
>>1483526
I can't be arsed, maybe there isn't one. Get a folding lock then.
>>
>>1475594
>sleep in dur farmer's field

You didn't mean this as actual advice right?
>>
>>1477928
I'm a different anon from OP. I love your setup. The bags looks absolutely ideal for a week long trip. Excellent look and nice pictures!
>>
>>1484091
>The bags looks absolutely ideal for a week long trip.
The sizing is ok and Carradice makes nice bags, but the centre of gravity was really atrocious so I had to switch up. I'm a big fan of classic Randonneur setups, I think they work perfect for their intended purpose, cycling long stretches on European country roads with some luggage.
>>
File: IMG_7373.jpg (1.46 MB, 1920x1440)
1.46 MB
1.46 MB JPG
This thread gives me this feels. I was planning a 3 month tour across Europe this summer. Now I can't even go camping in my local national park. Heartbreaking. Hope you all manage to get out exploring soon, anons.
>>
>>1483478
don't get the Amazon brand one. the Lockpicking Lawyer has a video where he picks the lock in 2 seconds. I don't think the folding structure is particularly good on any of them, but the lock on the Amazon one is easier than picking your teeth.
>>
>>1484431
That's a sweet ride you got there, looks very well thought up. You think we will at least be able to do national tours during the summer?
>>
>>1484479
Thanks. I'm not sure where you are but it's not looking likely that non-essential travel is gonna be a thing over here in the UK for quite a while. Potentially June 1st for schools and some shops. Maybe more relaxations in July. I think tourism will be one of the last things to get the go ahead. Makes sense considering they're trying to keep local outbreaks contained.
>>
>>1484516
I was reading they are reopening the parks.
>>
>>1475589
based kek pic!
>>
>>1483511
and never watch the locksmith lawyer on you tube, he pics everything and then shows the viewer/hoodrat how to pic it. it is a pretty addictive show.....
>>
>>1483478
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCm9K6rby98W8JigLoZOh6FQ/videos
please check this out, them make a decision.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCm9K6rby98W8JigLoZOh6FQ/videos
>>
>>1476832
>>>1476392
>If you've got the time I would love to hear your story.

Yeah sorry dude, missed your reply.
Basically I was bored and mum and dad live in France anyway, I normally go see them on the Eurostar/TGV but I was between jobs and didn't have anything to do in the summer so I fancied cycling down.

Had my Trek flat bar hybrid that was in good condition with a rack sitting unused so figured I would use that. If I did it again I'd use drops for sure because my hands did get sore as fuck for the first few days.

Basically packed what I needed on my two big panniers, plus a phone mount, things like battery chargers and stuff like this. Only brought one waterproof as it was middle of July and hot. Booked a ferry ticket from Poole UK to Cherbourg, arrived there at 7am for the early ship and got to France at about midday ish.
First hill out of Cherbourg was a fucking killer but thankfully I booked an Airbnb already about 60km out of town so had somewhere realistic to aim for.
Was a barn conversion and the hosts cooked me dinner so that was really nice. Then yeah I gradually made my way down through France. Stuck on the west coast if I could because I didn't fancy going over the Massif Centrale. Only got rained on once. For accommodation I booked either Airbnb the day before or nearer the end of the trip rang some people on WorkAway/WWOOF forums. Ended up spend 4 separate days on different farms working in exchange for a bed for two nights and food.
>>
>>1476832
>cont.

Had a weird experience with a Somalian guy in the centre of Nantes who was either trying to mug me or mess with me, he was laughing too much to understand really. Got a lift from some farmer guy near Boarduex and hung into the back of his van for a good 20km which was fun. Also stayed on a campsite in Vendee somewhere with some Polish girls on holiday from their university and got drunk with them (met them in a supermarket and there was fascinated with my trip).

Overall I think it took me 20 days to get down to near Antibes where my parents live. Not much else to report, lost about 10kg as well and got a good tan. Had an amazing time.
>>
>>1485350
>lost about 10kg
This is my biggest worry. I don't have any reserves to dip into and I'm concerned about eating enough food while on a long tour. From what I've heard from other tourers it basically seems like you will practically never be able to eat enough while making good distance. Plus, carrying 4000 kcal worth of food each day seems daunting.
>>
>>1485356
In fairness I was chubby anyway but I see your point. Just go for calorie dense foods and force yourself to eat more than you feel like. In fairness the 10kg was over the whole summer, not in those 20 days.
>>
>>1485356
you may think its scummy you might not, i feel somewhat like shit but not overly.

when i went cycle touring for a year in the states i would go into walmart or whatever, grab a few of those protein high calorie bars and just nipple on them as i walk around the shop. i did this nearly every single day for about 7 months. never once got caught, and if i did id just pay for it.

if you have more morals than I do then im glad.
>>
>>1485356
There is ample food sources in eastern Germany, and portion sizes are really decent. I recommend to keep some granola bars and snacks on you for your most urgent needs, shop daily for some fresh Bröttchen & Wurst for some picknick food and visit the local restaurants often. Like Mittagstisch is cheap in the MV pampa and Kaffe & Kuchen is excellent. Also if you ride normally and don't try to win the TdF you'll hardly notice the calories.
>>
>>1485384
lol
>>
Anyone tried the cheap frame bags on Amazon with good results?
>>
>>1485863
I tried some midrange bags from Amazon, they are ok, the mounting is a bit flimsy but the bags are watertight and otherwise good. the flimsy mounting means it takes a bit longer to put the bags on the bike and every so often you need readjust the whole thing in order not to rattle around. It's still an ok deal on the money giving how much Ortlieb costs.
If money is an issue, el cheapo top folding bags and some straps work just fine, only thing is you need 5 minutes to put the bags on the bike.
>>
>>1475589
thats one ugly bike.
>>
File: MN41.jpg (1.11 MB, 1920x973)
1.11 MB
1.11 MB JPG
Currently planning to ride this in late Summer/early Fall. The first half is kind of boring, second half is super pretty.

Still in the planning phase, waffling between which bike to take (Surly Midnight Special, All-City Cosmic Stallion or Surly Long Haul Trucker), bike bags or racks, and if I should ride out and back, or try to have a friend pick me up at the border.

I'll try to do it in 5 days, 60ish miles a day isn't too bad. Camping along the way.

It's also a sort of test trip to see what works before I try some much longer rides next year.
>>
>>1488395
that looks like a nice ride along the shore. is it wilderness?
>>
>>1488395
I've driven the north shore of lake superior and the idea of riding a bike there does not appeal. Maybe I'm just soft.
>>
>>1477328
I use a cycle2charge v3 with my dynamo hub.
>>
>>1475589
For the love of god, make sure you adjust your saddle beforehand, and make sure that you have a comfy saddle that fits your ass. You can do 80-100km daily without being fit at all, just do a comfy pace. Your saddle is way more crucial. I've only done a 3-day tour in my life, and it wasn't the harsh rain (had good gear) or fitness that made it hard - it was the fact that my ass was on fire about 60km in on the first day. You will suffer greatly if your saddle isn't attuned. If in doubt, go to a shop and have them adjust it and have them suggest a good saddle according to your sit bones.
Also, have spares with you, and learn how to fix shit on your bike.
Have a good trip, OP. And remember, it's not the mundane "everything went alright" bits you'll remember for years to come. It's the hard and tough experiences that will stick with you. And the fact that you've overcome them.
>>
>>1491374
Why, whats the problem with the lake shore?
>>
File: 1588524134821.jpg (186 KB, 615x768)
186 KB
186 KB JPG
where do i find cheap bike bags that i can stuff onto my bike with?
>>
>>1495362
Aliexpress
>>
File: IMG_3540.jpg (3.86 MB, 2816x2112)
3.86 MB
3.86 MB JPG
just did a 340km ride across my country to visit parents. it was sort of a test how touring would go, so i loaded it with everything, including the tent, despite the bad weather forecast.

lots of headwind and rain, but i loved it.

pic related is my bike, it's the one i usually ride to work every day
>>
>>1495714
Any setbacks?
>>
File: IMG_3522.jpg (2.3 MB, 2816x2112)
2.3 MB
2.3 MB JPG
>>1495720

one frustration was that i had done a test ride (also in the rain) the day before.
so on day 1 i noticed that my bike computer was wet inside. it still worked, but the button was shortet by water so it constantly kept resetting the tour data. so i don't know how fast or far i went on day one.

opened it up to dry, then fixed it with duct tape, pic related.
>>
File: MVI_3527.webm (2.84 MB, 640x480)
2.84 MB
2.84 MB WEBM
>>1495720
contd.

but maybe more importantly, in hindsight i was riding a bit too fast. i did something like 140km on day 1 despite strong headwind and the bike weighing about 40kg. i am very fit, but on days 2 and 3 my right knee started to hurt, something i'm not used to. i know that i would have to go slower if it were a longer tour.

what i loved was the atmosphere, the sky looked like it was about to rain for half of the time (and the other half it did rain).

i made a few videos with my shitty camera, pic related captures it quite well i think
>>
File: MVI_3538.webm (2.06 MB, 640x480)
2.06 MB
2.06 MB WEBM
>>1495722
and then it did rain
>>
File: IMG_3557.jpg (3.05 MB, 2816x2112)
3.05 MB
3.05 MB JPG
>>1495723
here's my first camp site

i was actually lucky, because i arrived there 10 minutes after the check in deadline (which i didn't know) and the lady there was about to close up. i was actually the only one camping there that night.
>>
>>1495722
>>1495723
I love that "imminent happening" feeling when traveling. Your videos are pretty dank, giving me a lot of inspiration to start my tour!

Where are you based?
>>
File: IMG_3518.jpg (3.13 MB, 2816x2112)
3.13 MB
3.13 MB JPG
>>1495732
i'm in vienna, the trip was to my home town in upper austria, so mostly along the danube river, then some hills across upper austria

btw i don't know if you can read it, that boat is named 'regentag', which means rainy day
>>
File: MVI_3552.webm (2.97 MB, 640x480)
2.97 MB
2.97 MB WEBM
>>1495732
where are you planning to go?
>>
File: map1.jpg (241 KB, 1336x931)
241 KB
241 KB JPG
>>1495751
>>1495749
Gotcha,

I'm in Sweden, gonna go from Gothenburg, and cycle around Vanern. The map shows 570 km, but I want to push it to 700-750 with all the cool shit I want to visit along the way. I am aware that campsites can add up, so I will camp wild as much as possible.
>>
I'm stuck in shitty England. Where's good to tour here while all the borders are closed?
>>
>>1495809
Ullapool-Durness.
take pics, post results.
>>
>>1495751
Pretty slick cycling infrastructure you got there. I wasn't aware Austria invested this much in cycling lanes.
>>
>>1495751
Is this near Linz? I did the Passau-Vienna trek a few years ago, was good fun. Mostly flat because it follows the danube, but got my arse blased by rain one day. Also did zero preparation, so it was fun having to ride a flat for 15km until I managed to get hold of a new tube. Good times.
>>
>>1495769
>Vättern
I meant to do Vätternrundan this year but then Corona happened. FFS.
>>
>>1497945
Living in Sweden, you're only meant to be 2 hours outside of your home, but I doubt they will reinforce that especially when on a bicycle...

Hopefully stuff starts to ease more and more later this summer.
>>
>>1498192
I'm in Finland and we don't even have any restrictions. But the event is cancelled, like every single event and race I was planning for this year.
>>
File: IMG_20200607_061338.jpg (2.61 MB, 2189x1642)
2.61 MB
2.61 MB JPG
First proper stealth camping.
I miscalculated my arrival time, didn't make it to the woods I wanted to camp in, ended up in a small patch of forest between two busy roads, didn't have time to scout the area and had to pitch in the dark. Turns out I set up next to a relatively busy forest road that wasn't on the map, saw at least 1 person walk it or ride a bike with a flashlight. So the rest of the night was completely dark, no headlight, no phone, no reading.
It wasn't supposed to rain, so of course there were thunderstorms for half the night. Amazingly I managed to get a few hours of sleep and woke up dry.
Overall, 180 km over 2 days and I feel saddle sores coming on. I don't know if I'm cut out to do this shit day in day out for weeks.
>>
>>1498278
That's sick. I'm looking forward to trying this in a few weeks. ATM I'm worried about getting stopped by police or angry rural boomers for cycling about with a fully loaded bike. Pretty obvious you're not out for a ride around the neighbourhood.
>>
>>1498278
The experiences will toughen and wisen you. You'll look back and enjoy the memories.

My first time camping ever was last year (I'm fucking 30), and I did a thru hike with a bivy and tarp, the first night i woke up with heavy wind and rain, thought the whole thing would blow away.

Another time I managed to pitch over a damn nettle patch because it was too dim to see. You live and you learn.
>>
>>1498289
What, is bike touring illegal where you live?
>>
>>1498278
Nice, I miss long rides.
Keep at it anon, saddle sores only appear on the first couple of days. If they heal properly, from then onward you're peachy.
>>
File: IMG_3581.jpg (2.01 MB, 2816x2112)
2.01 MB
2.01 MB JPG
>>1497883
well the danube bike path is about tourism, not necessarily representative of cycling infrastructure in this country. Half of the bike lanes in Vienna are paintjobs in the doorzone of parked cars.

>>1497889
i just checked, that bridge was near Pöchlarn, which is downstream from LInz, closer to Vienna, must have been Day 1
>>
>>1499657
Still really nice. I love riding along Europe's major rivers, no steep inclines and usually tons of culture and stuff.
>>
File: 1592044820767.jpg (142 KB, 700x700)
142 KB
142 KB JPG
Holy fucking shit I am OP and abandoned this thread (sorry for that, there was some event in my life that made me think I would not be able to do the tour, so I didn't want to get depressed while thinking about it) and I just came to /n/ to start lurking and here it is: My thread.
I am really happy that I have started this discussion and it becomes more likely that I can do the tour, so I am thankful that so many replied. I didn't read most of it yet, expect me to ask a shit ton of questions
>>
>>1485347
>>1485350
Thanks mate, I am sorry that I reply only so late although you did such a great job writing about your experience. I am sure you had a lot of fun! How many km did you do per day (on average)?
>>
>>1492403
Thank you! I am not sure if the saddle is good as it is, I have adjusted it to the perfect height but after riding my bike for a day I definitely feel my ass hurt a little. Not sure how it will feel after a couple of days. But I think I will just buy proper cycling pants.
>>1495714
Nice! Have you weighed the gear? (I just saw that you have in a later post, have a pack list maybe?) Because it seems like quite a lot, but I am not sure how much I would actually need myself.
>>1495769
Awesome, I love Sweden's landscapes and nature. How many days do you plan for the tour?
>>1498278
That looks based as fuck, where do you live that you have to worry about passengers in the forest though?

Thanks again everyone, I appreciate your input so much and I can't overstate how emotional I got when I saw this thread was still up lol.
>>
>>1484431
gorgeously mossy.
>>
>>1475589
Oh man i'd love to do this but I am socially anxious and I don't like the idea that I will fuck up every single conversation I have with other people on this tour, so I guess I'll just do daytours.
Have fun anon, I hope I have the courage to do this one day
>>
>>1501293
cycle touring is amazing for social anxiety, if you keep your itinerary loose. Because you can -always- just be like
aight
hop on your bike
bye!
and roll the fuck away
or
nope!
i'm gonna camp in those bushes not with these people!
so you're gonna want to do that less often. Having the escape always available is so liberating. Compare that to any other means of travel where say you're like on a bus or a boat or anything you CANT GET AWAY

and you always have something to talk about
you're riding a fucking bike with bags and shit over long distances
everyone will think you're kinda nuts and it's kinda cool
>>
>>1501295
thanks Ill consider it it does sound neat with your description
>>
>>1501307
Why do you think cycle touring is so popular on a board full with social retards?
>>
>>1501319
because social retards tend to be humanist romantics and find beauty in fleeting interactions with strangers and truely value and respect different peoples lands and cultures they explore because they have such low self esteem and revel in adventures which liberate them, as a severe cutting contrast to their own mental prisons?
>>
>>1501321
What?
>>
>>1501321
I'm pretty sure you missed a comma somewhere.
>>
>>1501321
Sounds about right.
>>
File: IMG_3537.jpg (3.52 MB, 2816x2112)
3.52 MB
3.52 MB JPG
>>1501172
pack list, from memory, might be missing something:

front left:
>old running shoes (didn't need)
>pair of winter boots (didn't need)
>water bottle

front right:
>sleeping bag
>water bottle

rear left:
>multitool
>some wrench
>ahead stem extension (in case i decided the stem was too low for longer riding, didn't use it but installed it afterwards for the next tour)
>2 tubes
>air pump
>spare screws
>duct tape (actually needed that to repair the bike computer)
>zipties
>toiletry bag
>electric razor
>towel
>regular cargo pants
>regular t-shirt
>spare cargo shorts (didn't need)
>spare longsleeve
>long winter cycling pants (didn't need)
>underwear, including thermal socks
>air matress

rear right:
>a 14'' thinkpad+modem (only because i have no smartphone)
>rain jacket
>warm winter jacket
>thin wind jacket
>winter gloves and hat (didn't need)
>regular long gloves and hat, headscarf
>food

rear rack on top:
>tent

handlebar bag:
>cellphone
>money
>id
>map
>camera
>sunglasses
>gummybears, trail mix

as you can see i over-packed a bit. i never needed any of the extra shoes, rode in my doc martens plus thermal socks, the were warm even when they were wet.
as far as clothes go, i didn't need the long pants, i rode in shorts but at one point wearing 2 jackets at once when it was raining, so jacket seems more important than pants, your legs don't get cold, even in the rain. and i carried my thinkpad because i don't have a smartphone, so there's 2kg extra.
>>
File: IMG_3623.jpg (2.62 MB, 2816x2112)
2.62 MB
2.62 MB JPG
oh and i forgot, one must have some type of figurehead or mascot if course
>>
>>1501365
Why does that rat look familiar? Any way, it's cute.
>>
File: jacke.jpg (160 KB, 1500x1500)
160 KB
160 KB JPG
>>1501361
>so jacket seems more important than pants,
This, you can ride in cargo shorts if needs be, but having a good cycling upper really helps with comfort level. I have good experiences with zip off jackets, lots of configurations for the whole day and different weather and always some snacks in the back pocket.
>>
>>1501366
there's actually an ironic story behind it from the only time when i briefly owned a car

>borrow grandma's old car to haul something big from hometown to city
>parents urge me to keep car
>keep car for a few weeks to see how it feels
>never once drive it once i am here
>it just stands in the street
>driver side window winder is broken, window stands open
>come back after weeks
>find this rat on the driver seat

i brought the car back to my hometown and parents sold it, kept the rat though
>>
>>1501373
Aw, some poor kid without a sense of consequences lost their rat.
>>
>>1501375
well, they must have intentionally put it there through the open window, it was sitting right in the middle of the driver seat. i still wonder why.
>>
Was the window open enough that they could have reached in and pick it up again. In that case I imagine someone felt like seizing the opportunity but didn't want to actually be an asshole. A reverse theft. Purely a wild guess on my part.
>>
File: IMG_3536.jpg (3.54 MB, 2816x2112)
3.54 MB
3.54 MB JPG
when i started out i had these plastic flowers instead of the rat. i thought i'd have to put something on it to make me look more approachable, because apart from that there was this black bike with black bags and skulls for valve caps.

one thing i noticed on the first day was: as a cyclist commuter in the city, you are either ignored or even met with aggression. but when you look like you're on a big tour with all that stuff, random people smile at you and even greet you in the street, it's kind of nice.

>>1501386
the window was open all the way
>>
>>1501172
>where do you live that you have to worry about passengers in the forest though?
I probably don't, but technically camping in national forests is illegal here, so any time I wild camp there's this knowledge at the back of my mind that I'm in the process of committing a crime and anyone I meet can either report or arrest me.
Also I've seen enough movies and vidya to know that the favorite pastime of local villagers is beating up travelers or murdering them with an axe.
>>
>>1501368
Do you need a wind jacket for summer rides? Planning a July 4th trip and I'm expecting it'll be in the 90s. Would like to just wear my bike shorts and a tee, and avoid packing too much extra clothing.
>>
>>1501361
Thank you, since I go in summer I can probably cut some of the bulkier stuff but I still need to get some portable bike tools. Also based thinkpad + no smartphone dude, I wish I would be disciplined enough to ditch my smartphone for a dumb one
>>
>>1501389
Ah I see, camping anywhere in Germany is illegal actually but nobody cares about it
>>
>>1501392
>Do you need a wind jacket for summer rides?
Not really, but if you're touring and riding early in the day or in mediocre weather it really helps with keeping core temperature as the wind chill really pulls temperatures down.

>>1501394
>but nobody cares about it
So, you're never been to Germany then. VERBOTEN!
>>
>>1501402
kek I'm literally German, not even Spießers care about wild camping in my experience
>>
File: IMG_3611.jpg (3.53 MB, 2816x2112)
3.53 MB
3.53 MB JPG
>>1501393
actually, being on tour was the first time i thought a smartphone might be useful, it's a bit tedious to get out the thinkpad to check the map, not to mention its weight.

maybe i'll buy some small netbook, or wait for the librem 5 phone
>>
>>1501416
I consider installing a fully free custom rom because the librem is fucking expensive and the CPU and all that stuff isn't going to be foss anyways. But maybe I should just quit the internet all together and just go /out/ more often lol
>>
>>1501393
You still need some jackets in summer if you are camping. It gets cold in the night
>>
>>1501361
>Tubus Tara front rack

Based.
>>
>>1501910
isn't it the most common front rack?
>>
>>1501739
You're supposed to be wrapped in a sleeping bag in the night.
>>
>>1502050
Nope. Lots of junk out there and this one is fairly premium. It's about 100 euro outside of Germany.
>>
>>1498557
Yes. Can’t spend the night anywhere else but your own home
>>
>>1502129
Damn... where's that.
>>
>>1502131
U.K.

I wish I was German.
>>
>>1502141
Ah, current lockdown laws. I've been really keen all this year to go cycling and camping in Norfolk, but it seems it's going to be a while now before that's allowable.
>>
File: IMG_3592.jpg (3.7 MB, 2816x2112)
3.7 MB
3.7 MB JPG
>>1501361
forgot:
>face mask
>chain lube
>>
>>1502141
The UK is an absolute travesty when it comes to free roaming and enjoying the outdoors. I spent 4 years in the midlands, and I was amazed at how densely populated the country is. You're relegated to the Peak District which is nice, but because it's so small and surrounded by cities, there are so many day packers fucking about.

Besides Scotland, the rest of the island is one giant concrete cancer filled with TGI Fridays, Nandos, betting shops and Primark. Horrible.
>>
>>1502141
And you people aren't rioting in the streets?
That's a completely retarded law and probably breaking some constitutional rights.
>>
>>1502647
>yeeeehaw just riot and burn down houses when you disagree with a law in a democratic country
>>
>>1502647
This might be the most American post I’ve seen all day
>>
>>1502647
Public health crisis. Don't want risk getting virus anyway, I'm already a bit skeevy when coming into contact with benches and gates. To compensate, I suspect roaming laws in the UK are better than, say, the US where one can expect to be shot while trespassing. That being said, anon >>1502631 is correct about ramblers rights in England and Wales being kinda sub par. Pikeys ruin all the fun by abusing roaming laws + a lot of it being miserable and irrelevant concrete shite-shire suburbia anyway.
>>
>>1502661
Who voted for that law?
>>
>>1502688
Parliament
>>
>>1502672
Funny that I'm not, then.
>>
>>1502700
Yeah
>>
>>1501293
Same here. On the upper hand, I do double centuries because of that now. (also germanfag)
>>
Ok, what's the best saddle style for touring? It's the last piece for my nigger rigged touring bike, it's looking pretty based
>>
>>1502761
>>1478242
>>
>be a Finn
>top tier freedom to roam laws
Feels good desu
>>
>>1502789
is Finland good for touring? When would be the best time of year to visit?
>>
>>1501171
Honestly between 70-80km, I really didn't try very hard.
>>
>>1502848
I haven't actually toured a lot. And it depends on what you want. In Southern Finland you could easily tour between cities. Northern Finland is really fucking rural, but it's also really pretty, also much more hilly. Central Finland is mostly flat rural farmland with smaller towns.

Best time is between right now and late August. Tons of sunlight, usually pretty warm. Though if you're going to Northern Finland I'd probably wait until the start of July.
>>
>>1502849
Thank you, I think that's a good distance to still have some time to meet people and visit some local places
>>
>>1503014
Are there Midges/mosquitoes in Finland in Summer?
>>
>>1503139
I live in Sweden and yes, oh fucking yes, there are clouds of this shit.

But when you're cycling it doesn't really matter, only when camping.

But thats nothing when compared to the ticks which are far worse.
>>
>>1503139
As anon said, fuckloads, like literal clouds of them. Like my arms and legs are unironically covered in all kinds of flying shitters after a few hours. They're not that bad though, ticks are far worse. But if you go far enough north then there won't be ticks. Far more mosquitoes to compensate on the other hand.
>>
>>1503139
I'm not from Scandinavia, but I went touring in Norway and Finland several times, and as said, fucktons of them winged motherfuckers. The good news is as soon as you are up in the Fjell, and it starts freezing at night (about mid August), all of them are gone. But Yes, there was sunny days when I was walking in my full rain kit with a mosquito headnet, otherwise it is just unbearable.

If I had to rate them by nuisance level, 1st Scottish midges, the most annoying critter there is, 2nd place to the Icelandic black fly and 3rd place goes to the common Finish Mosquito, beautiful strong black animals with pride gleaming in their eyes.
>>
>>1501172
Do a slow 30km ride to a near town or around your city, and if your ass isn't sore by then the seat is a good fit and properly adjusted. About that last point there are apps in the playstore that use the sensors on your phone to help you adjust the saddle correctly.
>>
>>1503256
>use the sensors on your phone to help you adjust the saddle correctly.
How does that work?
>>
Been out LARPing. Testing this virgin ready for an overnighter this weekend. Love it so much.
>>
>>1503257
its like a bubble level with presets. You just put the smartphone on the saddle to check inclination, Saddle Adjust its the name of the app..
>>
>>1503494
Ah, so "correctly" means "level". Why didn't you say so?
>>
>>1503326
faggot
>>
>>1503601
faggot
>>
>>1503603
faggot
>>
>>1502690
Who voted for that parliament?
>>
>>1504055
The electorate... idk what I'm doing teaching uk civics on the transportation board, or if there is a point you're trying to land on.
>>
File: IMG_3665.jpg (2.97 MB, 2816x2112)
2.97 MB
2.97 MB JPG
went on the road again
the moment i did it started raining again
look at the rat, it's completely soaked
not to mention myself
it's like we have monsoon instead of summer now
>>
File: MVI_3662.webm (2.53 MB, 640x480)
2.53 MB
2.53 MB WEBM
>>
File: IMG_3646.jpg (2.51 MB, 2816x2112)
2.51 MB
2.51 MB JPG
and headwind again

the next two days i'll be goint into a more mountain-ish region and i'm looking forward to it
>>
>>1504353
tough warrior! really takes some grit to ride all day in such shit weather.
Hope it gets better and you can enjoy it again!
>>
>>1504353
>it's like we have monsoon instead of summer now
Fuck climate change
Thanks for cycling instead of being a cager when it rains, you are actively making the world a better place
>>
>>1504353
also, cute as fuck rat and enjoy your tour! You seem to be having a lot of fun, and the day it was raining all the time will be the one you remember for years probably, because you still made it through it and had sunny days afterwards :)
>>
File: IMG_3677.jpg (2.69 MB, 2816x2112)
2.69 MB
2.69 MB JPG
>>1504409
>>1504411
>>1504414
actually took a cheat day yesterday (after the heavy rain day), went one day's distance by train so i could have a whole day yesterday at my parents' place before continuing, this time with company.
>>
File: IMG_3654.jpg (3.25 MB, 2816x2112)
3.25 MB
3.25 MB JPG
met this belgian guy on the campsite on day 1 who was going the same way, only he's planning to go to brussels. had a beer and briefly considered riding to gether the next day, but then didn't, because i'm an early bird and he planned to ride out at 10am, but seemed to be a bit faster. so we said goodbye, not sure if we'd see each other again.
right at the end of day 2, approaching linz, he caught up with me, so we rode together for 5 minutes, then said goodbye again.
he was riding this rusty old 10-speed and a single sports bag on the rack, i'm not even sure how it didn't fall off. pic related.
>>
>>1504828
How did you mount that light on your Tara?
>>
>>1504837
I take it campsites are open where you are? That's very good news. Have you had any trouble finding places to stay due to the pandemic?
>>
>>1475589
About training, you can just give yourself the time you need and take it at whatever pace you so please. You'll get there eventually whether you're a Tour de France level rider or an obese hamplanet that can only manage 20 miles a day. Make sure your route passes shops for supplies, and good places to rest.
>>
File: IMG_3668.jpg (2.92 MB, 2816x2112)
2.92 MB
2.92 MB JPG
>>1504861
i cut out a piece of an old tyre tube and wrapped it around the tara until it was thick enough for the lamp's clamp (which is made for handlebars)

>>1504865
actually, my first tour was on the very first day hotels and campsites were allowed to open (May 29th)
>>
>>1504865
although, right now i'm sitting in the lobby of a motel 2km outside a town where, according to booking.com, nothing was available. so either they're all full or not yet open. i'm in germany now though.
>>
>>1504865
not camping today because i'm travelling with my cousin who doesn't have a tent or camping gear.
>>
>>1505299
>>1505299
Neat, I guess it helps to have 26 inchers, mine are 700c so it'll be tight...
>>
First person to call me faggot gets an upvote
>>
>>1505328
homo!
Still really like your setup, it just looks very smart and well thought out.
>>
>>1505328
wrong side, literal fag
>>
>>1475640
>Also, don't expect the borders to be open this summer with the covid situation (at least if you plan to go through France or Belgium).
I literally walked to Belgium and back home today
>>
File: IMG_3727.jpg (2.46 MB, 2816x2112)
2.46 MB
2.46 MB JPG
approaching the alps
>>
I think we should continue this thread when it hits bump limit, right?
I want to see all the Blogposts continue and have some comfy touring discussion
>>
>>1505963
Fuck yeah.

I will have plenty of pics and stories in a month.

An eternal touring thread would be great.

Touring thread #2 anyone?
>>
>>1505963
agreed, let's call it /btg/ - bicycle touring general
>>
>>1505965
>>1506007
or /ett/
>>
OP here, new thread >>1506079
Thanks for being so nice, I loved this thread. I really appreciate everyone who posted here

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.