[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/n/ - Transportation

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 39 posters in this thread.

05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
06/20/16New 4chan Banner Contest with a chance to win a 4chan Pass! See the contest page for details.
[Hide] [Show All]

Words cannot fucking describe how much I hate hot air balloons.
First of all, they’re fucking terrifying. It combines the fear of falling to your death due to the fact that you ride in a FUCKING WICKER PICNIC BASKET supporting you THOUSANDS OF FEET IN THE AIR. As well as the fear of burning to death because there’s literally a massive open flame above you. You could burn alive, fall to your death, or both in one of these things. Not to mention how fucking stupid and pointless they are. Helicopters and planes serve the SAME exact function, and are better in every single fucking way.
They’re also stupidly inefficient. They top out at around 30 mph. Go hop in a car and lock cruise at 30 mph and realize how fucking slow that is. As well as the fact that there’s NOTHING to protect you from the outside world. It could suddenly start storming while you’re up in one of them, or a bird could decide to fuck with you. At the extreme, a bird could wreck havoc on the balloon. It’s like riding a motorcycle with NONE of the motorcycle fun, and WAY MORE danger than a motorcycle.
Why the fuck do these things exist and why would anyone set foot in one??
>>
>>1319863
If you hate them so much then don't ride in one. Otherwise they're not even on anybodys' radar (pun unintended) because there are so few of them, so who even cares? Why make a thread about this at all?
>>
>>1319865
fuck you

we need to outlaw these things
>>
Imagine getting this mad over a goddamn balloon
>>
File: IMG_2071.jpg (1.77 MB, 3926x3024)
1.77 MB
1.77 MB JPG
>>1319866
AwwWwdangy,,cheekhurt,,hooked.,
,,,awell trolling pays the billsnow.,,,lobby for smallercages,,,,,,Look!,outyour peephole!>a Whalewinks!!
>>
>>1319877
>>1319881
mate are you on ambien
>>
>>1319889
>namefag
>so new he doesn't even know baconrider
nigga, i been here like only 2 months and i already know about him. lurk moar and lose the name, faggot.
>>
>>1319889
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vifYelSTlMo
>>
>>1319863
Just out of a macabre sense of curiosity, has a bird ever "fucked around" with a hot air ballon and caused an accident???
>>
>>1319901
Fuck if I know, but it could happen
>>
>>1319863
>you're in a basket with a flame above you
people get used to that
>A helicopter and planes serve the exact same function
not really, You can't steer a balloon
>they top out at around 30 mph
People like peaceful recreational sight seeing; they are not using them to get somewhere
>they are open air
that's the point. They prefer to use them when the weather is nice. Also I think they are more durable than you think they are
>>
>>1319910
A hot air balloon is not peaceful
>>
>>1319911
you're just afraid of heights
>>
>>1319913
Not really. Its the combined fear of the terror of an overall trip on one, as well as the thought of being lit on fire and having no other choice than to fall to my death
>>
>>1319931
My grandma went on a balloon cruise once.
She said it was "nice".
She wasn't paralyzed by fear like you are.
You're literally more of a coward than my grandma.
>>
Cloudhoppers are awesome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7lm_5xg7Jc
>>
>>1319931
You could pay 2k for a parachute that is smaller than a backpack and hop out if the thing catches fire, but it rarely happens so people don't even bother.

The nice thing about HA ballooning is that there is no windnoise, as you are literally a part of the wind.

You could also get into hydrogen gasballooning, which is even more fun, as there is no burner noise.

People want to fly, and HA ballooning is a cheap and peaceful way to do it. Propane is next to nothing compared to airplane or helicopter fuel. The wicker basket is more than strong enough. The materials of the balloon are mostly fireproofed.
>>
Why are you so scared of falling to your death. It seems to me one of the best ways to die. Quick, instant, painless. It's worse for the onlookers than what it is for you. You just close your eyes and it's over.
>>
>>1319863
i have never seen one of those anywhere. do people really use them?
>>
>>1319965
Also you get to fly for a bit
>>
Just wear a parachute and some fire retarded
>>
>>1319964
Yeah because having to be forced to skydive while being on fire sounds pleasant
>>
>>1319877
>>1319881
Based & baconpilled
>>
>>1319881
>>1319877
Say it like it is Bacon
>>1319863
They are recreational vehicles, take a chill pill.
>>
>>1319863
>It could suddenly start storming while you’re up in one of them
You're supposed to check the weather before hopping in one.
>>
>>1319863
Is this a pasta?
>>
>>1320235
It is now.
>>
File: GSX250R-L8_5D5782.jpg (120 KB, 1200x675)
120 KB
120 KB JPG
Words cannot fucking describe how much I hate Motorcycles. First of all, they’re fucking terrifying. It combines the fear of moving at incredibly high speeds due to the fact that you're riding in a FUCKING CROTCH ROCKET supporting you GOING 100+ MPH. As well as the fear of burning to death because there’s literally an engine that runs on explosions underneath you. You could burn alive, crash into someone, or both on one of these things. Not to mention how fucking stupid and pointless they are. Bicycles and cars serve the SAME exact function, and are better in every single fucking way.
They’re also stupidly inefficient. They top out at around 160 mph. Go hop in a jet and lock cruise at 160 mph and realize how fucking slow that is. As well as the fact that there’s NOTHING to protect you from the outside world. It could suddenly start storming while you’re riding in one of them, or a bird could decide to fuck with you. At the extreme, a bird could wreck havoc on your driving. It’s like riding a hot air balloon with NONE of the hot air balloon fun, and WAY MORE danger than a hot air balloon.
Why the fuck do these things exist and why would anyone set foot in one??
>>
File: IMG_2540.jpg (1.71 MB, 3074x2852)
1.71 MB
1.71 MB JPG
>>1320251
>>
OP I have a suspicion you mostly jest but I am behind you in agreement. They're a hideous piece of transportation technology. And you know what that big, bulbous red boil reminds me of?
>>
>>1319863
Take any of the points you just made and try telling them to the inventor of the hot air balloon.
Here, I'll pretend to be that person.
>the fear of falling to your death due to the fact that you ride in a FUCKING WICKER PICNIC BASKET supporting you THOUSANDS OF FEET IN THE AIR.
"I know, right! It's amazing! I mean, no one has ever been thousands of feet in the air before."
>You could burn alive, fall to your death, or both in one of these things.
"Certain risks are necessary in the name of technological advancement. Besides, it's worth the exhilarating feeling of being airborne."
>Not to mention how fucking stupid and pointless they are. Helicopters and planes serve the SAME exact function, and are better in every single fucking way.
"What in the world is a 'helicopter'? Don't just make up gibberish words. Not a device on this earth exists that can serve the function of the hot air balloon."
>They’re also stupidly inefficient. They top out at around 30 mph. Go hop in a car and lock cruise at 30 mph and realize how fucking slow that is.
"No seriously though, what is a 'car'? It's like you're talking to me from the year 2019 or something. Quit LARPing as a man from the future. Also, what are you even talking about? 30mph is quite speedy. Just hop in any carriage and take the reins, by the time you get up to 30mph your horse will be running at full speed."
>It could suddenly start storming while you’re up in one of them, or a bird could decide to fuck with you. At the extreme, a bird could wreck havoc on the balloon.
"A ship poses all the same risks. You could suddenly be overcome by a huge wave. A shark could swim into the rotor. And yet, no one doubts the majesty and sophistication of ships, the most advanced travel technology in existence."
>It’s like riding a motorcycle with NONE of the motorcycle fun, and WAY MORE danger than a motorcycle.
" 'Motor cycle', he says. Imagine actually believing such things exist. How absurd."
>>
>>1319881
>>1319877
Excellent posts.
>>
Hot air balloons were the first ever human-carrying flight technology. They were invented in the fucking 18th century. It couldn't even be photographed because photography was still a few decades away from being invented. The hot air balloon is literally the granddady of all manned flight. Show some fucking respect you prick.
>>
File: 20190414_134113.jpg (3.37 MB, 2576x1932)
3.37 MB
3.37 MB JPG
>>1319877
>>1319881
Bacon, you're a genius!
>>
just wait till this nigga sees a gyrocopter
>>
>>1319863
tl:dr

Ballons are awesome because if you stay up too long in the morning the sun will start to heat them up automatically and you won't be able to come down. Instead you will keep going up until you suffocate or die of hypothermia, then the balloon will eventually come down, probably that night with your frozen corpse in it.
>>
>>1321366
This sounds like an old wives tale. People have traveled around the world in a hot air balloon.
>>
>>1321366
>suffer of hypothermia because of the cold
>but hot enough to keep the balloon hot
jfc
>>
>>1321487
>>1321485
>I don't understand how physics works
okay
>>
>>1321493
>>I don't understand how physics works
indeed you don't
>>
>>1321586
If you want to go through life willfully ignorant that is your choice. Swine, I'll not spoon feed you.
>>
>>1319964
>parachute
Do hot air balloons even fly high enough to deploy your chute before you smash into the ground? Genuine question.
>>
File: IMG_1823.jpg (717 KB, 2463x1705)
717 KB
717 KB JPG
>>1321660
Yes.
>>
File: IMG_2531.jpg (1.14 MB, 2280x2731)
1.14 MB
1.14 MB JPG
>>1319877
,,,,,ispeak,,,,badagain.
>>
>>1319964
>People want to fly, and HA ballooning is a cheap and peaceful way to do it.

I'm pretty sure paragliding, ultralights and sailplanes are cheaper to rent/own than a hot air balloon and give you the same feels, correct me if I'm wrong.

t. not OP, because OP would be scared senseless of those, too.
>>
>>1321665
>>1321664
Bacon do you have a hot sister or wife that I can bang?
>>
>>1321664
M'kay, well then I'd suggest that anyone who gets on a hot air balloon should wear a chute, you know, just in case. Same as you'd wear a lifevest when rafting down a river, just in case.
>>
>>1321646
translation: I'm right, you're wrong.
>>
>>1319943
/thread
>>
File: 151021-F-DW547-008.jpg (479 KB, 1800x1420)
479 KB
479 KB JPG
>>1321364
sup
>>
File: 1555327980865.jpg (8 KB, 240x240)
8 KB
8 KB JPG
>>1321767
What in gods name is that thing?
>>
>>1321773
thats a benson gyrocopter

the rotor is not powered at all, the engine only drives the propeller. and yet, it flies
>>
>>1321775
>and yet, it flies
Until you have the slightest mechanical or fuel problem.
>>
>>1321779
if you run out of fuel you float back to the ground in autorotation, like a maple seed

mechanical problem could kill you though, depending
>>
>>1321788
Yes the ever life saving autorotation.
>>
Woorden kunnen niet beschrijven wat een tyfushekel ik heb aan luchtballonnen.
Ten eerste zijn ze fucking eng. Ze combineren de angst om dood te vallen dankzij het feit dat je vervoerd wordt met een FUCKING GEVLOCHTEN PICKNICKMAND als ondersteuning KILOMETERS HOOG, met de angst om levend te verbranden in het gigantische open vuur meteen boven je. Je kan levend verbranden, doodvallen of allebei tegelijk in zo'n ding. En dan heb ik het niet eens over hoe kanker dom en nutteloos ze zijn. Helikopters en vliegtuigen doen PRECIES het zelfde en zijn beter in elk fucking opzicht.
Ze zijn ook belachelijk inefficiënt. Ze hebben een topsnelheid van rond de 50 km/u. Stap in een auto, zet de cruisecontrol vast op 50 km/u en besef hoe fucking traag dat is. Bovendien is er GEEN ENKELE bescherming tegen de buitenwereld. Het kan gaan stormen terwijl je in de lucht bent, of een vogel kan besluiten je te naaien. In het ergste geval zou een vogel de hele ballon kunnen slopen. Het is net motorrijden, maar ZONDER het plezier van motorrijden en VEEL gevaarlijker.
Waarom bestaat dit en waarom zou iemand in godsnaam zo'n ding betreden??
>>
>>1323891
unf???
>>
>>1319889
>doesn't even know about BaconRider
Way to out yourself as a colossal faggot.
>>
>>1323908
Lmao, hekel doesn't mean jerk, it means aversion/dislike, and adding deadly diseases is the normal way of cursing in Dutch. So it says "what a typhoidaversion I have on airballoons" which just translates to "how much I fucking hate hot air balloons".

Now someone do German
>>
No hay palabras para describir cuánto odio los globos aerostáticos.
Primero de todo, son jodidamente terroríficos. Combinan el miedo de las caídas mortales debido al hecho de que estás montado en una PUTA CESTA DE PICNIC DE ESPARTO aguantándote a MILES DE PIES EN EL AIRE. Además del miedo a morir incinerado porque literalmente hay una llama abierta gigantesca sobre ti. Podrías arder vivo, caer mortalmente, o ambos en una de esas cosas. Sin mencionar lo jodidamente estúpidos y sinsentido que son. Los helicópteros y aviones sirven exactamente la MISMA función, y son mejores en todos los putos sentidos.
También son estúpidamente ineficientes. Como máximo llegan a 30 mph. Métete en un coche y pon el control de crucero a 30 mph y date cuenta de lo jodidamente lento que es. Además del hecho de que no hay NADA que te proteja del mundo exterior. Una tormenta repentina podría comenzar mientras estás volando en uno de ellos, o un pájaro podría decidir darte por culo. En un caso extremo, un pájaro podría causar el caos en el globo. Es como montar en motocicleta sin NADA de la diversión de una motocicleta, y MUCHO MÁS peligro que una motocicleta. Por qué coño existen estas cosas y por qué podría cualquiera un pie en ellas??
>>
>>1319863
Alright, calm down for a minute and take a deep breath. It's ridiculous to get this mad over hot air balloons. If you post such a long and emotional wall of text it loses every value as an argument and pretty much becomes plain shitposting. I do think you have a valid point though, so I'll try to add my own thoughts on the subject to turn this into an actual productive discussion, but let me warn you in advance that I find it hard to accurately put into words how I feel about these things. I'll just try my best.

Let me start by saying that hot air balloons really frighten me. For me, they take two different frightening experiences and kinda combine them into one. To be more precise, fear of heights on one hand (as you are being transported in an open container woven out of -excuse my language- “fricking” reed, carrying you on a height of several kilometres), and fear of fire on the other hand (as there is a large open fire right above you). When traveling by balloon, you catch the risk of falling out of the container or getting burned by the fire, both likely with fatal consequences.

All of this without even getting into the fact that they are clearly an obsolete means of transportation and serve no clear purpose anymore. Helicopters and airplanes were designed for the same use cases and provide better functionality for all the individual requirements. On top of that, they are so inefficient that you can barely take them serious anymore. Their top speed -correct me if I'm wrong- lays around 50 kilometres (30 miles) per hour. If you would get in your car and set cruise control to limit your speed to 50 km/h, you'd soon realize that is not very fast.

(cont...)
>>
>>1327197
As an addition to what I mentioned in the other post, balloons provide almost no protection against weather and other factors that might put you in danger. During your flight, a storm could emerge unexpectedly or a bird could play a trick on you. To give a “worst case scenario” kind of example, a bird could destroy the balloon entirely.

I always like to explain my problems with hot air balloons by comparing them to motorbikes: making a balloon flight is as if you make a trip on a motorbike, but without most of the things that make motorbike trips worth it, and with an unreasonable amount of added danger.

I often wonder what the motivation was behind bringing these vessels into this world, and what goes through peoples heads when they decide to enter one. But to be able to discuss this we have to stay reasonable, and not just out our rage without any direction like you did. I hope that, by adding some actual points, I helped this discussion forward so we might have get a little closer to finding a solution for this awful danger in our society.
>>
>>1327199
>To give a “worst case scenario” kind of example, a bird could destroy the balloon entirely.

has this ever happened in the 200 year history of hot air ballooning
>>
>>1327914
>hot air ballooning
when you say it like that you immediately sound like a balloon elitist. kinda like when a hipster barber talks about how "barbery" is everything to him
>>
>>1319863
Somebody bought me a trip in one of these memes, needless to say I didn't go.
>>
>>1321679
It takes two days of training to do a static jump from 2,000 feet. The odds of somebody jumping out of a fucked up balloon and landing alive are quite bad.
>>
>>1328208
Not sure I know what a "static jump" is as opposed to just skydiving but I've been skydiving. I went one Tuesday afternoon on a whim because I was bored. They made me jump tandem but training took about 10 minutes. They make you jump tandem your first 3 times though. I never went back because, while the plane ride was fun, I didn't really get anything or any rush out of skydiving. It's just windy.
>>
>>1319863
I can think of no reason to heed the rantings of a "man" who fears being bullied by birds. Also I enjoy roleplaying as a hot girl's picnic lunch and the basket of a hot air balloon is just the place to do it, so there.
>>
>>1328392
Am I the only one who fucking laughs at people who think so lightly of hot air balloons? I mean you think you're cool or something but you only make yourself look like a fool in front of people who know what's up. Jokes on you when you die in a minor storm.
>>
>>1328168
well theres also gas ballooning

but i think they go up higher than birds
>>
>>1319865
>why make a fun relavent thread on a niche but interesting issue

Autistic no-fun faggots like you need to be permabanned
>>
>>1319943
Your grandma is a fucking stupid cunt then

The sort to live in a poverty area and keeps getting burgaled and "doesn't know why"
>>
>>1328413
Listen, you anime titty, you fucking diaper coupon. Listen. I'm going to die in the sky with a smile on my face and a boner in my pants. And before I do, I'm going to make sure to glance over the rail one last time at you and all the other tiny homosexual ants writhing on the ground, trying to stamp all 6 of your feet at once and shrieking "Get down from there!!! It isnt safe!!!!", and I'm going to send you a wise, knowing look, the kind that says "You may spend the next 80 years on this earthly plane, but you wont have lived for even a second of it." Prepare yourself.
>>
File: IMG_1115.jpg (210 KB, 1968x1242)
210 KB
210 KB JPG
>>1328797
ya.
>>
File: 20190510_174825.jpg (1.76 MB, 2560x1440)
1.76 MB
1.76 MB JPG
>>1319863
Words cannot fucking describe how much I hate Motortrikes. First of all, they’re fucking terrifying. It combines the fear of moving at incredibly high speeds due to the fact that you're riding in a FUCKING RUSTY DEATHTRAP supporting you GOING 35+ MPH. As well as the fear of burning to death because there’s literally an engine that runs on LEAD ACID underneath you. You could burn alive, crash into someone, or both on one of these things. Not to mention how fucking stupid and pointless they are. Bicycles and cars serve the SAME exact function, and are better in every single fucking way.
They’re also stupidly inefficient. They top out at around 60 mph. Go hop in a jet and lock cruise at 60 mph and realize how fucking slow that is. As well as the fact that there’s NOTHING to protect you from the outside world. It could suddenly start storming while you’re riding in one of them, or a bird could decide to fuck with you. At the extreme, a bird could wreck havoc on your TRIKING. It’s like riding a hot air balloon with NONE of the hot air balloon fun, and WAY MORE danger than a hot air balloon.
Why the fuck do these things exist and why would anyone set foot in one?
>>
>>1331703
haha now do pizza
>>
>>1319865
>dabs on ballon-tards with scoped subsonic .22 rifle
>>
>>1331703
i like balloons and motortrikes :<
>>
>>1331848
>flosses all over wheelgins by floating low over their homes and places of worship and shouting "Hey! Why dont you google "Spacedocking"!?!" through a bullhorn
>>
>>1319863
>tfw you will never be this autistic to go to space in your private home grown space program and home built suit
https://youtu.be/FPDL39W6AQ4

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.