[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/n/ - Transportation

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 76 posters in this thread.

05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
06/20/16New 4chan Banner Contest with a chance to win a 4chan Pass! See the contest page for details.
[Hide] [Show All]

Janitor acceptance emails will be sent out over the coming weeks Make sure to check your spam box!

WHAT THE FUCK WHY DID THEY TAKE THIS FROM US ITS NOT FAIR FUCK LOS ANGELES CAGER CULTURE REEEEEEEEEE
>>
>>1237714
The entire economic model of the companies that ran them was fucked.
>>
>>1237714
Dude, if that existed today it would be just as shitty as modern public transportation--full of freaks, dregs, and criminals

LA was mostly white then
>>
>>1237714
>>1237715
I don't think there's much they could have done differently that would've saved them. Postwar LA was a particularly bad place for commuter rail, but even in places with very high levels of public transit service and usage it's still nearly impossible to make a profit. Outside of third-world minibuses and Jeepneys and stuff the only successful privately-owned transit services I can think of are ones that operate at a loss just to funnel people to places where they'll spend lots of money, like the Vegas Monorail.

>>1237743
Maybe, maybe not. Many of its routes took it through areas that are still middle/upper class and are dominated by White and/or Asian professionals. I guess you could argue, though, that those areas are middle class BECAUSE they lack easy access to good public transit.
>>
>>1237743
>LA was mostly white then
Spics have always been a prominent community in socal. What do you expect from a Spanish colony?
>>
>>1237715
Yeah, not like all those public transit operations making money amirite
>>
>>1237863
They don't have to make money if they're being publicly run. They absolutely need to make money if they're privately run. That's the fucking difference.
>>
File: chicago streetcar.jpg (46 KB, 700x394)
46 KB
46 KB JPG
>>1237714
It wasn't just you famalam, i know these feels too
>>
>>1237993
Nice PCC, LA scrapped or shipped all of theirs overseas by the mid-1960s. It is a complete scandal what happened to public transit in America during the 1940s-1960s.

>The last day of regular service was a very sad day for me. For several months I had been getting petitions signed by rail passengers to prevent abandonment — petitions given to me by the City Of Long Beach on actual city letterhead. In all, about 8000 passengers signed the petitions. I, along with Long Beach city officials, went to court in an effort to save the rail service. The court ordered the Southern Pacific to make the right-of-way available to the LAMTA, but the LAMTA was not interested in continuing the rail service for many reasons. I really thought we would win the fight to save the rail service. Twice while I was petitioning aboard the cars, MTA Special Agents put me off the train, telling me that I was not allowed to petition on State Property.. The second time they threw me off the train late at night at Dominguez Junction. I was pissed. I had to walk a mile to find a pay phone and call my dad to come and get me. I got an ear full from him. All this work was for nothing. I was 18 years old at the time and on the very last run as we pulled into Long Beach at dawn, the track was lined with red flares in the dawn mist. I broke down and cried like a baby. I will NEVER FORGET THAT LAST RUN.

https://www.pacificelectric.org/pacific-electric/southern-district/the-day-before-the-long-beach-line-was-abandoned-april-8-1961/
>>
>>1238007
Jesus Christ get a grip dude
>>
>>1238025
>guy campaigns for an issue he feels passionate about instead of standing around complaining
>finds lots of people agree with him
>tries to tell the people in power the huge mistake they're making
>nobody listens
>all your effort's for naught and you're ignored
>why'd you even try? you just ended up wasting your time
>get emotional about it
at least that guy actually did something. takes a lot more effort to try and lose than it does to do nothing.
i think anyone who goes through that is entitled to feel a little emotional.
>>
>>1238027
>Grown man having an autistic freakout over streetcars

C'mon
>>
>>1238025
>>1238030
You're more autistic than the guy in the greentext desu

get a life
>>
>>1238030
Fucking kill yourself.
>>
>>1238025
>>1238030
t. NPC
>>
File: 1536538766410.jpg (8 KB, 240x240)
8 KB
8 KB JPG
>>1238039
>>1238043
>>1238049
Oh noooo I've attacked an autismo's pet thing
>>
>>1237714
Such a shame what happened to the tram industry, thanks to greedy fucks
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_Motors_streetcar_conspiracy
>>
>>1238053
Based
>>1238069
Nice conspiracy theory, foamer.
>>
>>1237954
Most publicly run transit operations were private once and then taken over by the city or some other public administration.
>>
HOW THE FUCK DID OUR ANCESTORS LET THIS HAPPEN FUCK YOU BOOMERS AND (((GREATEST GENERATION))) THIS IS UNFORGIVABLE
>>
>>1238668
You have to put yourself in the mindset of the time back then.

Many people in cities relied on streetcars to get around and were limited by where they went and their schedule. Highways and personal vehicles were a welcome change and the drawbacks to them wouldn't be readily apparent for some time.

In 30-50 years things we consider 'good' now will be looked back on with a negative perspective.
>>
Cars are better anyway
>>
trolly fags are the worst railfans, everyone has been some greasy geezer.
>>
>when a shitposter gets absolutely no (you)s because they're terrible at it
>>
>>1238712
based

>>1238714
redpilled
>>
>>1238053
>unironically using forsen sub emotes on 4chan
>>
>>1238007
>>1238668
As an LA native it's so trippy to see these old photos of LA looking like some Midwestern city or something. I'm pretty sure the first one is near where the convention center is now, that hotel in the back looks like the one they always paint up for E3. (Pic related.) The second one is definitely Brand Blvd. in Glendale, that's the Alex Theatre with the big tower in the background, now there are two big malls just about where the photo was taken.
>>
>>1238668
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4hGH3U21vIE

BRING BACK THE RED CARS
>>
>>1237858
But they were a minority. LA was flooded with midwestern Protestants for a while after WW2
>>
>>1239588
LA was predominately white Midwestern transplants from the 1880s through WW2. Ironically the city's financial sector was controlled by Jewish families from the mid-nineteenth century on but everyone got along, more or less.
>>
>>1239560
>TOOT TOOT TOOT
Even American streetcars honk their horns all the time apparently.
>>
>>1238668
At least in New York, streetcars were seen as old and obsolescent. This guy, Fiorello LaGuardia, pushed to have every streetcar line replaced with a bus. And doesn't everyone just love NYC buses?
>>
>>1239706
Italian i.e. nonwhite. Just as I suspected
>>
>>1239706
I thought this dude was supposed to be a Progressive? Sounds like he was in cahoots with Moses.
>>
GIVE IT BACK REEEEEEEEE
>>
>>1242492
For a time it was progressives that were against street railways, as they were seen as an outdated concept, while the now obvious drawbacks of massive car use weren't too well understood yet.
>>
>>1237714

you got a better deal mate, we kept our trams but they gutted our trains
>>
>>1239715
his mother was unironically jewish
>>
>>1238007
>trams and actual trains on the same tracks
that's so cool, i wish that was still a thing.
>>
>>1243630
If you look closely, they only share one rail. The interurbans are standard gauge, the streetcars are narrow gauge.
>>
>>1238007
>dual gauge street tracks
Very, very cool.
Also very surprised to see a trolleypole on a full heavy rail unit.
>>
>>1244802
>Also very surprised to see a trolleypole on a full heavy rail unit.
Was reasonably common on burgerland interurbans.
Trolleybuses are limited in speed to about 50 kph (30 mph) by the trolleypoles, but it's because they widely swerve away from the wires. Since rail vehicles don't swerve, the trolleypoles still allow up to ~150 kph (90 mph), although they need precise hanging especially on curves. See pic related.
Pacific Electric and North Shore line routinely went up to 125 kph (75 mph), likely even faster at times.
>>
>>1244825
Quick rundown:
>the North Shore Line is the record holder of the fastest railroad to use trolley poles
>the Electroliner in your pic made it up to 111mph in a special test run, but had to be limited to 90mph in regular service because it would outrun the crossing gates otherwise
>a 3-car lash-up of the standard cars could (and regularly did) hit 80-85mph in regular service
>the mainline was designed for high-speed operation to compete with the C&NW 400s and Milwaukee Road Hiawathas in Chicago-Milwaukee service (double-tracked tangent w/ virtually no curves)
>it was also designed for an eventual conversion to pantographs that never happened
>>
>>1246072
F
>>
>>1237743
>I wonder if there might be long run socio-economic reasons behind a country run exclusively by rich white men turning into a badly planned school shooting-riddoed shithole

>Nah I'll just parrot my retarded racist grandad's views like the stupid faggot I am
>>
>>1249716
you definitely are a stupid faggot
>>
>>1246072
F
>>
File: MMap.jpg (1.12 MB, 1275x1650)
1.12 MB
1.12 MB JPG
It could be worse, at least LA is rebuilding most of it.
>>
>>1237714
OP, you know you have to be 18+ to post on 4chan, right? Underage B& like you should just lurk, or better yet go somewhere more appropriate for your age.
>>
>>1249771
>le sophisticated gay bicycle man
>>
>>1249754
Not nearly adequate enough for the population.
>>
>>1243583
>>1238668
>>1237714
you seem pretty fanatic about pe and lary. i have a few hundred 8mm film reels of trolley stuff from down in socal. would you be interested in watchin some? (like me puttin them unlisted on yt n stuff) ((also add me on discord if i never see your reply digirails184#1064))
>>
>>1253934
Yes, can you upload them to youtube or dropbox or something?
>>
>>1238670
>Many people in cities relied on streetcars to get around and were limited by where they went and their schedule.
the trams rarely had headways longer than 10 minutes, you didnt check the schedule you just went to the stop and waited like rapid transit
>>
It always amazed me, that some 3 world shithole country can create better light rail system than USA.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGD00oica3c
>>
>>1257799
Most p*Lacks I talk to on here are right-wing neoliberal/Reaganomics dickriders who think your vid related is literal gommunism, though.
>>
>>1257914
>literal gommunism

Well literal communists did build the systems originally, no?
>>
>>1257914
few places in the world actually care for good transport, in most they think it's some kind of gommunism but they depend on it so whatevs, and since ridership is good it gets cared for even tho most people don't give much of a shit about it and would rather take a car if it were cheaper/more practical.
Here in Spain the largest public transit advocacy group has around 500 members, the spanish automobile club has +800k members. jfc I get depressed just typing that out.
>>
>>1257926
>good transport
*good public transport
>>
>>1238027
>Forcing businesses to engage in unprofitable models because you collected signatures is a noble pursuit.
Suck start a shotgun, commie.
>>
>>1257930
This, the preferable option is to have the government (municipal/state) assume operation and fund/subsidize it with tax revenue.
>>
>>1246072
>limited to 90mph in regular service because it would outrun the crossing gates otherwise
>>
>>1257981
Such was the Great Depression, fampai. The employees even accepted a pay cut so the railroad could afford to buy them.
>>
Why are trolley poles & wire spans so comfy?
>>
>>1253934
Please post 'em if you got 'em
>>
>>1258079
The mix of electric infrastructure and old-fashioned trolley cars is a powerful mix.
>>
>>1237715
>>1237743
>>1237754
terrible, terrible opinions. it didnt have to go

>>1239590
>Ironically the city's financial sector was controlled by Jewish families from the mid-nineteenth century on but everyone got along, more or less
its because there was that much money to go around; first it was a resort/import center, then oil, then hollyjew, then aerospace. now it's a demographic farm
>>
>>1249754
even if they were really going to be able to do all that, it would be a far cry of what it used to be
>>
If you want to use public transport, you need a polite and civilized society. I guess modern LA would be an experience if you took a bus etc...
>>
>>1249716

Waaaaahhh he's being mean to minorities
>>
>crying about 70+ year old transit decisions

Yikes!
>>
>>1264944
the red lines represent auto routes though, you have to look for streets with a dotted line, those indicate tracks on a roadbed.
>>
Even as a t/o/urist I hate that they did a similar thing in my country
>will never get to ride the Southern Train
why even live?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JYAq96bili4
it even had a catchy pop song written about it
>>
>>1268807
Nice buzzwords, kiddo.
>>
>>1244825
what was this art style called? art deco? it seemed really prevalent in the 40s and 50s.
>>
>>1273767
I believe it would be Streamline Moderne, which is an offshoot of Art Deco beginning in the later 1930s.
>>
>>1237714
bump, this is what they took from us.
>>
>>1276169
get over it imo
>>
>>1273793
Peak design. We've only gone backwards since.
>>
>>1276391
go fuck yourself imo
>>
>>1276460
Suck my SUV's exhaust
>>
File: Pre-war Manila.jpg (62 KB, 500x333)
62 KB
62 KB JPG
>>1237714
Begun in 1878 near the end of Spanish colonial rule over the Philippines, Manila's once mighty Tranvias, or Streetcar in English, was once the envy of Asia.

During the first decades of the 20th century, the newly formed Meralco began to expand and modernize the streetcar network, eventually adding a total of 12 fully electrified tram lines to central Manila, for a total of 63 kilometres of electrified street rail by 1905.

By the 1920s and into the '30s, the Manila Tramway became one of the most extensive tram networks in Asia, rivalling those in far more populated cities like Hong Kong (600,000 by 1930) and Tokyo (4,000,000 by 1930). Its 100-kilometre urban and interurban service carried a recorded 35 million passengers during its peak year in 1925. The tramway was a central part of the rapidly modernizing city, as the former colonial port town was growing up fast.

The American influence and capital that had flowed into the Philippines following the US takeover brought with it a host of impressive Beaux-Arts and later Art Deco edifices, as a series of new office towers, government buildings, and train stations began to transform the Philippine capital.

During the last months of WWII, the Battle of Manila wrought havoc and near total destruction upon the once beautiful city of Manila. The Pearl of the Pacific was reduced to smouldering ruins as a result of a devastating American-led bombing campaign that decimated the city centre, along with the majority of Manila's rail infrastructure, which had been one of the prime targets of the bombings. While successful in routing the Japanese, the hard-fought Battle of Manila necessitated a near total rebuild of the capital, and the majority of the remaining historic Spanish colonial and prewar American buildings were reduced to rubble.

https://skyrisecities.com/news/2017/03/manilas-long-lost-tranvias-once-envy-asia
>>
File: RIP Tranvias.jpg (479 KB, 1600x959)
479 KB
479 KB JPG
>>1237714
https://news.abs-cbn.com/focus/04/21/15/manilas-trains-then-and-now

To remember the glory days of Manila would be to remember the electric trams that once plied its streets and contributed to the city’s reputation as the “Pearl of the Orient.”

For today’s generation of Filipinos whose patience and sanity are tested daily by chaotic and snail-paced traffic, it is difficult to imagine that Manila actually once had a public transportation system — like it was a fable.

By the eve of the Philippine Revolution in 1896, the tranvias had ferried 9.7 million people. To put that in perspective, today’s MRT Line 3, which spans the length of Epifanio de los Santos Avenue, carries over 600,000 passengers — per day.

Compared to electric tramways in Berlin, New York, Prague and other major world cities, however, the tranvias were, as one visitor to Manila put it, “very casual in operation”. The service depended on the professionalism of the driver and the health of the horse. Passengers even had to get off and help push the vehicle over inclines.

“But for Manila of the 1890s, the tranvias were still a cut above the chaotic jumble that had preceded them on the city’s unpaved streets,” according to writer Raul Rodrigo in his book Meralco: A Century of Service 1903-2003, referring to calesas or horse-drawn buggies — which still ply Manila’s streets mostly for tourists.

If the trams were to be modernized, they needed to be electric.

In 1903, shortly after the United States took over from Spain as the Philippines’ colonial ruler following the Spanish-American War, the government began taking bids to build Manila’s first electric tramway. The franchise went to the lone bidder, Manila Electric Railroad and Light Company, better known by its acronym Meralco, which then bought Tranvias de Filipinas.
>>
>>1237714
The 1920s was Meralco’s golden age after the company modernized the system. “The upgrade was so extensive that several foreign observers judged that Meralco had the best streetcar system in Asia, besting even Japan, a country which has a long-running affair with trains,” according to Rodrigo. By 1925, Meralco carried 35 million passengers or 95 times the population of Manila.

The greater mobility brought in a fact of everyday life that Metro Manilans today know all too well: commuting. So was overcrowding — even for a city of 600,000 — as people from the provinces flocked to the city to find work.

The trams were destroyed during the 1945 Battle of Manila, when American forces rooted out Japanese troops occupying the city. Meralco didn’t restore the trams because it was too costly, deciding instead to shift its core business to providing power.

The transportation shortage prompted Filipinos to solve the problem by modifying surplus US Army jeeps to carry passengers — and the jeepneys (coined from the words “jeep” and “jitney”) were born.

“With the death of the tranvia, the buses and jeepneys took over. I guess these were temporary solutions, but the government never did seem to consider more permanent solutions,” says Jose, who recently gave an Ayala Museum lecture about life after the Battle of Manila.

The Philippines had to wait until 1984 for a dictator, Ferdinand Marcos, to erect the country’s first LRT system — Line 1, which runs north to south, from Pasay City to Caloocan City. However, jeepneys still form the backbone of Manila’s public transportation system.
>>
>>1276486
>>1276487
>>1276489
Interesting, thanks for sharing!
>>
>>1237714
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OquSczOMkO4
>>
>>1278967
>streetcar autists get their history from literal cartoons
Yikes!
>>
>>1264944
It blows my mind just how much rail infrastructure there was here in LA in the old days, just look at all those yards. If I ever have the space and the money I really want to build a model railroad layout based on WWII-era LA, it'd follow the mainline from Burbank down to San Pedro and incorporate landmarks like Union Station, City Hall, the big SP yard near Los Feliz, the Lockheed factory, Grand Central airport, etc.
>>
>>1281140
>LAUPT full of warbonnet & black widow
>LARy & PE sharing dual-gauge street-running
>little palm trees & mission revival buildings everywhere
fucking FUND IT
>>
>>1264944
Wonder if they used NAD 27 or if that was too recent of a datum for a '28 map.
>>
File: Houston.jpg (164 KB, 525x571)
164 KB
164 KB JPG
Never forget that cages have had the most detrimentally impact to modern cities since Hiroshima and Nagasaki.
Never forget what they stole from us.
>>
>>1286336
>>1286336
My dream is to buy up all of houston's (or anyone's) parking lots and use them for good

>buy one paid parking lot
>let people park there for free
>price of parking goes down among neighbors
>drive price of parking down so low that I can keep buying out all the other parking lots which are now worthless
>One day shut it all down and turn every parking lot into beautiful 6 story neoclassical mixed use block houses with 0 parking except for indoor bike parking.
>>
>>1286336
>the most detrimentally impact to modern cities since Hiroshima and Nagasak
That's just two cities, mate

Cages are literally worse than the atom bomb
>>
>>1286336
Thank you!
>>
the rockafella removed tracks in the U.S. to promote car dependence and the oil industry they control.

this is common knowledge here in Canada.
>>
>>1286370
How would you pay for upkeep of all those parking lots if you're not charging for their use?
>>
>>1290072
all I would really have to worry about is just the taxes and I would just have to shoulder it
>>
but how to use a toilet
>>
File: s3f49v.gif (2.53 MB, 500x281)
2.53 MB
2.53 MB GIF
>>1286336
>many US cities are built around the commodified car
>people can't walk or bike effectively
>they are boxed-in by highways and car-centric roadway design
>distances to services are also longer because of the universality of the car
>far-away mega-malls with oceans of parking-space instead of localized services
>little to no public transport
>a great deal of that little is underfunded and has to inefficiently zig-zag and play on the terms of the car
>the transport network therefore systematically demands having a car
>as such the car-centric design justifies and puts itself in-demand
Never in my life have I been so much in support for revolutionary destruction. You literally have to tear down entire chunks of a city and rebuild it from scratch in a more sensible manner to accommodate a flexible and human way of living that incorporates proper public transport. It's pure ideology come to flesh -- or rather in asphalt and concrete-- and it has to be purged not only in spirit, but in that same flesh as well!
Fuck this gay for-profit Earth!
>>
>>1290812
>accommodate a flexible and human way of living
>by forcing everyone to live like insects in commie blocks
Hard pass.
>>
>>1290965
Who said anything about commieblocks, my sweet boom-boom?
>>
>>1286336
Still a lot of surface parking there, but that picture is massively outdated.
>>
File: pikku-huopalahti.jpg (216 KB, 1024x668)
216 KB
216 KB JPG
>>1290965
The focus should be on building working communities, rather than homogenous horizontal or vertical man-farms. Studies have shown that neither little boxes on the hillside nor focusing on maximum density hives provide proper efficiency and happiness. Super-dense structures add significant lag to movement due to verticality or depth, much like the car-centric labyrinth of plywood walls. As such mass-produced industrial housing has as little to do with our solution as the swamp-like suburban hell we need to combat.

Older, pre-industrial cities had squares within walking-distance of every household, as moving by foot was the primary mode of transport at that time. Time passing, larger cities grew to be composed of many smaller communities, districts, and wards, all stitched together and interconnected, but being self-contained entities. There was a spontaneous fractal nature to the whole thing, which worked relatively well considering the unplanned and crude nature of the it.

Nowadays similar arrangements can be achieved through many means and methods, incorporating and considering modern needs and technologies. For example, modern transportation systems do allow creating less dense communities, which still have all that is needed relatively close by and within reach by many modes of movement.
What must be considered, is that for a flexible and convenient transportation system it is as important to find ways of minimizing the need for long-distance and heavy-duty transport, as it is to construct the physical system itself.
>>
>>1286336
That's such a waste of space.
Could have one block of multi-story car parking for 5-6 blocks easily
>>
>>1291606
Boomers aren't people.
>>
>>1291606
>INCONVENIENT
>decide to go downtown
>walk outside my building and play on my phone at the bus stop for 5-10 minutes
>bus comes, flash a card and find a seat, play on phone or read a book for 20 minutes
>get off at stop
>walk 3 blocks
>???
wow so inconvenient. Imagine if we actually had decent public transit how great it would be. When will /o/besefags go and stay go?
>>
>>1291606
>people like public transport
>they don't want to ride loud inefficient polluting cars
>cagers need to grow the fuck up and accept reality
>t. seething autistic boomer
>>
File: liberty.jpg (375 KB, 1280x827)
375 KB
375 KB JPG
>foamies and fringies think their manchild choo-choos are comfier than pic related
>>
>>1291672
Public transport is the real patricians' life as one can easily consume entrainment, read a book, or rest during transport instead of being forced to hold wheel and press gas or brake.

The ascended life is cycling though
>>
>>1243583

What a beautiful photo and machine.
>>
>>1291684
>carppols only lane
THIS INFRINGES ON MY CONSTITUTIONAL RIGHTS
>>
>>1244825
>kph
it's km/h
>>
>>1291644
You're lucky, then. According to Google, it's a 28 minute drive from my house to the LA Convention Center right now. Getting there by bus would be a 1:36 trip that includes 23 minutes of walking and three different buses.
>>
>>1291684
>The ascended life is cycling though
Then you go back to not being able to read a book
>>
File: PE_PCC.jpg (240 KB, 1799x1149)
240 KB
240 KB JPG
>>1291688
PCCs are peak tram A E S T H E T I C S. Only recently have trams started coming slightly close to the beauty of the PCC.

PE had some PCCs in their last years, but they only lasted a short while before the system was dismantled.
>>
>>1291884
This.
PCC-based trams look decent even in 2019. (Tatra T3, for ex)
>>
>>1291897
>>1291884
I wish the U.S.A. hadn’t given up on streetcars in the 1930s and instead that design had continued to evolve into the 1950s/1960s and beyond. Canada designed some nice 2nd generation cars for Toronto that draw heavily upon the PCC design, but with a more modern-looking flair.
>>
>>1291883
yeah but on a bike you could enjoy the world
>>
>>1291672
>Carpools only
That gets abused harder than Chris Brown's victims doesn't it
>>
>>1292129
Does it? Not in my area.
>>
>>1291912
True, the CLRVs/ALRVs are more or less what I'd imagine streetcars would have looked like in burgerland in the 70s if they hadn't been massively dismantled.
>>
>>1294898
How is it enforced?
>>
>>1258079
Reminds you of Mr. Rogers’ Neighborhood.
>>
>>1298000
>>1294898
We have HOT lanes. Can you imagine if a transit system had 20% of their riders not paying?
>>
>>1302784
>>
>>1291858
>LA
>>
>>1237714
Blame GM and Firestone? Tires.
>>
>>1302784
>Can you imagine if a transit system had 20% of their riders not paying?
Let me introduce you to BART
>>
File: Adolf_Goldberg-Mikke.jpg (133 KB, 655x900)
133 KB
133 KB JPG
>>1257914
thank this pic related guy for such views on trams here nowadays

>>1257799
it's a tram, if you look for a Polish light rail, google "WKD" then. The WKD for most of its lifetime was even powered with 600V catenary, much like Warsaw's tram network, but it was eventually switched to 3000V few years ago. It's literally half-tram, half-train.
>>
>>1291684
Driving is the purest form of entertainment.
>>
>>1308835
Maybe if you’re an easily amused brainlet.
>>
>>1303835
>>1302787
>>1302784
I spoke too soon.
>MTA says more than 20% of NYC bus riders evade fares
https://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/ny-bus-riders-fare-evasion-data-20190325-jou3airf35f2zivt6uvv4auq64-story.html
>>
the jewish cabal couldn't handle the fact that poor people could commute to their work in less then 30 minutes
>>
>>1257799
what the fuck, is that poland? are you kidding? i live in a top 20 burger city and that looks 10x better than here. no trash, everything is well maintained, trees are alive, buildings are clean, people can walk around without being accosted by packs of hobos and youfs, that light rail is awesome, the traffic isn't a god damned fume spewing constant jam... just kill me. just fucking kill me this government steals 20% of my fuckign money and can't even give me as good a city as fucking POLAND has. 9/10ths of this city looks like a detroit tier SLUM and fucking POLAND has a city that clean and beautiful are you kidding me
>>
>>1314229
LA?
>>
>>1314229
You need socialism
>>
>>1316625
Unfortunately the US is still severely shitter shattered over the cold war and anything remotely socially progressive is shot down as communism or destroyed by centrist "compromise."
>>
>>1316625
The magnificent traction systems like Pacific Electric were built by cigar chomping robber barons in top hats. Public ownership i.e. socialism only came about when systems fell apart and went to buses. There were some early exceptions like Detroit where crusading politicians fought the traction monopolies and built competing public lines. In the early 1920s all of Detroit transit went public.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.