[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/n/ - Transportation

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 37 posters in this thread.

05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
06/20/16New 4chan Banner Contest with a chance to win a 4chan Pass! See the contest page for details.
[Hide] [Show All]

All work safe boards are now on the 4channel.org domain. Make sure to update your script blockers and whitelist the new domain.

There's now a setting option under Navigation to display the full list of boards on 4channel.org

The 4chan Vtuber Competition is over. Click here to see the winning entry!

WHAT THE FUCK WHY DID THEY TAKE THIS FROM US ITS NOT FAIR FUCK LOS ANGELES CAGER CULTURE REEEEEEEEEE
>>
>>1237714
The entire economic model of the companies that ran them was fucked.
>>
>>1237714
Dude, if that existed today it would be just as shitty as modern public transportation--full of freaks, dregs, and criminals

LA was mostly white then
>>
>>1237714
>>1237715
I don't think there's much they could have done differently that would've saved them. Postwar LA was a particularly bad place for commuter rail, but even in places with very high levels of public transit service and usage it's still nearly impossible to make a profit. Outside of third-world minibuses and Jeepneys and stuff the only successful privately-owned transit services I can think of are ones that operate at a loss just to funnel people to places where they'll spend lots of money, like the Vegas Monorail.

>>1237743
Maybe, maybe not. Many of its routes took it through areas that are still middle/upper class and are dominated by White and/or Asian professionals. I guess you could argue, though, that those areas are middle class BECAUSE they lack easy access to good public transit.
>>
>>1237743
>LA was mostly white then
Spics have always been a prominent community in socal. What do you expect from a Spanish colony?
>>
>>1237715
Yeah, not like all those public transit operations making money amirite
>>
>>1237863
They don't have to make money if they're being publicly run. They absolutely need to make money if they're privately run. That's the fucking difference.
>>
File: chicago streetcar.jpg (46 KB, 700x394)
46 KB
46 KB JPG
>>1237714
It wasn't just you famalam, i know these feels too
>>
>>1237993
Nice PCC, LA scrapped or shipped all of theirs overseas by the mid-1960s. It is a complete scandal what happened to public transit in America during the 1940s-1960s.

>The last day of regular service was a very sad day for me. For several months I had been getting petitions signed by rail passengers to prevent abandonment — petitions given to me by the City Of Long Beach on actual city letterhead. In all, about 8000 passengers signed the petitions. I, along with Long Beach city officials, went to court in an effort to save the rail service. The court ordered the Southern Pacific to make the right-of-way available to the LAMTA, but the LAMTA was not interested in continuing the rail service for many reasons. I really thought we would win the fight to save the rail service. Twice while I was petitioning aboard the cars, MTA Special Agents put me off the train, telling me that I was not allowed to petition on State Property.. The second time they threw me off the train late at night at Dominguez Junction. I was pissed. I had to walk a mile to find a pay phone and call my dad to come and get me. I got an ear full from him. All this work was for nothing. I was 18 years old at the time and on the very last run as we pulled into Long Beach at dawn, the track was lined with red flares in the dawn mist. I broke down and cried like a baby. I will NEVER FORGET THAT LAST RUN.

https://www.pacificelectric.org/pacific-electric/southern-district/the-day-before-the-long-beach-line-was-abandoned-april-8-1961/
>>
>>1238007
Jesus Christ get a grip dude
>>
>>1238025
>guy campaigns for an issue he feels passionate about instead of standing around complaining
>finds lots of people agree with him
>tries to tell the people in power the huge mistake they're making
>nobody listens
>all your effort's for naught and you're ignored
>why'd you even try? you just ended up wasting your time
>get emotional about it
at least that guy actually did something. takes a lot more effort to try and lose than it does to do nothing.
i think anyone who goes through that is entitled to feel a little emotional.
>>
>>1238027
>Grown man having an autistic freakout over streetcars

C'mon
>>
>>1238025
>>1238030
You're more autistic than the guy in the greentext desu

get a life
>>
>>1238030
Fucking kill yourself.
>>
>>1238025
>>1238030
t. NPC
>>
File: 1536538766410.jpg (8 KB, 240x240)
8 KB
8 KB JPG
>>1238039
>>1238043
>>1238049
Oh noooo I've attacked an autismo's pet thing
>>
>>1237714
Such a shame what happened to the tram industry, thanks to greedy fucks
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_Motors_streetcar_conspiracy
>>
>>1238053
Based
>>1238069
Nice conspiracy theory, foamer.
>>
>>1237954
Most publicly run transit operations were private once and then taken over by the city or some other public administration.
>>
HOW THE FUCK DID OUR ANCESTORS LET THIS HAPPEN FUCK YOU BOOMERS AND (((GREATEST GENERATION))) THIS IS UNFORGIVABLE
>>
>>1238668
You have to put yourself in the mindset of the time back then.

Many people in cities relied on streetcars to get around and were limited by where they went and their schedule. Highways and personal vehicles were a welcome change and the drawbacks to them wouldn't be readily apparent for some time.

In 30-50 years things we consider 'good' now will be looked back on with a negative perspective.
>>
Cars are better anyway
>>
trolly fags are the worst railfans, everyone has been some greasy geezer.
>>
>when a shitposter gets absolutely no (you)s because they're terrible at it
>>
>>1238712
based

>>1238714
redpilled
>>
>>1238053
>unironically using forsen sub emotes on 4chan
>>
>>1238007
>>1238668
As an LA native it's so trippy to see these old photos of LA looking like some Midwestern city or something. I'm pretty sure the first one is near where the convention center is now, that hotel in the back looks like the one they always paint up for E3. (Pic related.) The second one is definitely Brand Blvd. in Glendale, that's the Alex Theatre with the big tower in the background, now there are two big malls just about where the photo was taken.
>>
>>1238668
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4hGH3U21vIE

BRING BACK THE RED CARS
>>
>>1237858
But they were a minority. LA was flooded with midwestern Protestants for a while after WW2
>>
>>1239588
LA was predominately white Midwestern transplants from the 1880s through WW2. Ironically the city's financial sector was controlled by Jewish families from the mid-nineteenth century on but everyone got along, more or less.
>>
>>1239560
>TOOT TOOT TOOT
Even American streetcars honk their horns all the time apparently.
>>
>>1238668
At least in New York, streetcars were seen as old and obsolescent. This guy, Fiorello LaGuardia, pushed to have every streetcar line replaced with a bus. And doesn't everyone just love NYC buses?
>>
>>1239706
Italian i.e. nonwhite. Just as I suspected
>>
>>1239706
I thought this dude was supposed to be a Progressive? Sounds like he was in cahoots with Moses.
>>
GIVE IT BACK REEEEEEEEE
>>
>>1242492
For a time it was progressives that were against street railways, as they were seen as an outdated concept, while the now obvious drawbacks of massive car use weren't too well understood yet.
>>
>>1237714

you got a better deal mate, we kept our trams but they gutted our trains
>>
>>1239715
his mother was unironically jewish
>>
>>1238007
>trams and actual trains on the same tracks
that's so cool, i wish that was still a thing.
>>
>>1243630
If you look closely, they only share one rail. The interurbans are standard gauge, the streetcars are narrow gauge.
>>
>>1238007
>dual gauge street tracks
Very, very cool.
Also very surprised to see a trolleypole on a full heavy rail unit.
>>
>>1244802
>Also very surprised to see a trolleypole on a full heavy rail unit.
Was reasonably common on burgerland interurbans.
Trolleybuses are limited in speed to about 50 kph (30 mph) by the trolleypoles, but it's because they widely swerve away from the wires. Since rail vehicles don't swerve, the trolleypoles still allow up to ~150 kph (90 mph), although they need precise hanging especially on curves. See pic related.
Pacific Electric and North Shore line routinely went up to 125 kph (75 mph), likely even faster at times.
>>
>>1244825
Quick rundown:
>the North Shore Line is the record holder of the fastest railroad to use trolley poles
>the Electroliner in your pic made it up to 111mph in a special test run, but had to be limited to 90mph in regular service because it would outrun the crossing gates otherwise
>a 3-car lash-up of the standard cars could (and regularly did) hit 80-85mph in regular service
>the mainline was designed for high-speed operation to compete with the C&NW 400s and Milwaukee Road Hiawathas in Chicago-Milwaukee service (double-tracked tangent w/ virtually no curves)
>it was also designed for an eventual conversion to pantographs that never happened
>>
>>1246072
F
>>
>>1237743
>I wonder if there might be long run socio-economic reasons behind a country run exclusively by rich white men turning into a badly planned school shooting-riddoed shithole

>Nah I'll just parrot my retarded racist grandad's views like the stupid faggot I am
>>
>>1249716
you definitely are a stupid faggot
>>
>>1246072
F
>>
File: MMap.jpg (1.12 MB, 1275x1650)
1.12 MB
1.12 MB JPG
It could be worse, at least LA is rebuilding most of it.
>>
>>1237714
OP, you know you have to be 18+ to post on 4chan, right? Underage B& like you should just lurk, or better yet go somewhere more appropriate for your age.
>>
>>1249771
>le sophisticated gay bicycle man
>>
>>1249754
Not nearly adequate enough for the population.
>>
>>1243583
>>1238668
>>1237714
you seem pretty fanatic about pe and lary. i have a few hundred 8mm film reels of trolley stuff from down in socal. would you be interested in watchin some? (like me puttin them unlisted on yt n stuff) ((also add me on discord if i never see your reply digirails184#1064))
>>
>>1253934
Yes, can you upload them to youtube or dropbox or something?
>>
>>1238670
>Many people in cities relied on streetcars to get around and were limited by where they went and their schedule.
the trams rarely had headways longer than 10 minutes, you didnt check the schedule you just went to the stop and waited like rapid transit
>>
It always amazed me, that some 3 world shithole country can create better light rail system than USA.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGD00oica3c
>>
>>1257799
Most p*Lacks I talk to on here are right-wing neoliberal/Reaganomics dickriders who think your vid related is literal gommunism, though.
>>
>>1257914
>literal gommunism

Well literal communists did build the systems originally, no?
>>
>>1257914
few places in the world actually care for good transport, in most they think it's some kind of gommunism but they depend on it so whatevs, and since ridership is good it gets cared for even tho most people don't give much of a shit about it and would rather take a car if it were cheaper/more practical.
Here in Spain the largest public transit advocacy group has around 500 members, the spanish automobile club has +800k members. jfc I get depressed just typing that out.
>>
>>1257926
>good transport
*good public transport
>>
>>1238027
>Forcing businesses to engage in unprofitable models because you collected signatures is a noble pursuit.
Suck start a shotgun, commie.
>>
>>1257930
This, the preferable option is to have the government (municipal/state) assume operation and fund/subsidize it with tax revenue.
>>
>>1246072
>limited to 90mph in regular service because it would outrun the crossing gates otherwise
>>
>>1257981
Such was the Great Depression, fampai. The employees even accepted a pay cut so the railroad could afford to buy them.
>>
Why are trolley poles & wire spans so comfy?
>>
>>1253934
Please post 'em if you got 'em
>>
>>1258079
The mix of electric infrastructure and old-fashioned trolley cars is a powerful mix.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.