[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/mu/ - Music

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: Cover.jpg (887 KB, 1547x1547)
887 KB
887 KB JPG
What's your relationship with this album been like? Did you use to like it and don't anymore? did you never like it? if you like it, then how do you think it compares to other post-hardcore/post-rock stuff?
>>
I MISS YOUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU
>>
Essential album. I listen to it from time to time.
>>
>>88340477
Greatest of all time
>>
One of my favorites, and much like my other 10s, I don’t listen to it nearly as much as I should.
>>
>>88340477
It's good but its certainly overrated. There are plenty of albums with better production, better riffs, better lyrics and better structuring. Some of the musicianship is outstanding, especially the drumming.
>>
>>88340477
Honestly I was bored by it the first time and then I haven't listened to it since. Maybe I'll check it again but it just seems like a meme
>>
as a fucking faggot, it means a lot to me. feelings aside it's really fucken good
>>
>>88340477
Used to love it, don't really listen to it anymore. There's much better post-rock albums.
>>
>>88340477
Greatest rock record of all time.
>>
>>88340751
can you recommend some? Post-rock often bores me, but I really loved Spiderland
>>
A friend introduced me to it, listened to it a whole bunch, don't listen to it much anymore because I don't want to be reminded of the feelings I associate with it. Shame really
>>
My favorite album, no doubt about it
>>
>>88340477
I put it on, said "wtf this is Cheap Trick", took it off the turntable and smashed it in twain.
>>
>>88340560
What albums whould you recommend for someone who loves spiderland?
>>
>>88340964
The only thing I've heard recently on that artistic level is this.
https://ystrex.bandcamp.com/album/what-do-you-get-for-the-man-who-lost-everything
>>
>>88340477
It's a good album. But I have absolutely no interest in pursuing other albums like it in the Post-Hardcore, Math-Rock, or Post-Rock genre.
>>
Listened to it probably a dozen times over, don't understand the hype. It's good but certainly has some forgettable songs. And 80% of the album is pretty... quiet? Don't know how to put it, sounds very flat. But I am impressed by some of the breakdowns.

What do people see in this album that I don't? I like it but I don't see it being a 10 like most people say
>>
Used to like it a lot. Rarely listen nowadays, but I still think it's great.

It's unlike any post-hardcore album, so I think the comparison is unfair. Post-rock was barely a thing in 91, but they certainly influenced a couple bands.

Good Morning, Captain is one of the best songs of all time.
>>
>>88340901
Talk Talk - Spirit of Eden
Pram - Helium
Tortoise - Millions Now Living Will Never Die
Stereolab - Transient Random-Noise Bursts With Announcements
Dirty Three - Whatever You Love, You Are
Grails - Black Tar Prophecies, Vols. 1, 2 & 3
Gastr del Sol - Upgrade & Afterlife
Cul de Sac - ECIM
Hash Jar Tempo - Under Glass
Moonshake - Eva Luna
None of them are really similar to Spiderland though
>>
>>88341103
Thanks!
>>
Liked the aesthetic, but never connected to the music itself.
>>
>>88341103
There is only one album there better than Spiderland though I think all of those are good (except Hash Jar Tempo who are literally just a worse version of Ash Ra Tempel)
>>
Always liked... from the first listen to the 1000th. That's the sign of a masterpiece
>>
>>88341886
That's the sign of autism anon.
>>
>>88340477
It's fucking good. I don't like it as much as I used to and I think the untitled EP is better.
>>
The opening song is great, but I always get bored after that. I've listened several times over the span of like 10 years and still can't find myself giving a shit. Tweez is better
>>
>>88340477
Maybe I’m overhyping it, but the album feels so relatable. Going thru adolescence in the shadow of Michael Cera’s hip timidness in Superbad, I figured it was normal to be that weird and disconnected. Spiderland, 20 years prior, seems to have a more nuanced view of that personality. Ignoring the weird instrumentals, McMahon’s lyrics are vividly honest about timidity or unconfidence. Good Morning Captain now feels like a cautionary tale about the negative side affects of being an outcast.

Idk if McMahon was suggesting that he wishes he had his childhood back when he said “I miss you”, but his resentment for how he was feels complete.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.