[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/mu/ - Music

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: 1541518003356.png (1.16 MB, 1876x1948)
1.16 MB
1.16 MB PNG
>UGH anon, why do you like that old rock music
>Get with the times!
>>
>>85838466
Because every single generation in the history of mankind thinks "their" music (aka the music they grew up with and feel nostalgia towards, it's totally psychological and cultural) and culture and whatever is the best and whatever comes after them is bad. And every single of those newer generations hated the old stuff because it's not cool to like what your parents do. The end.
>>
>>85838497
/thread
>>
>>85838497
Actually it has nothing to do with it being "their" generation of music. Literally any type of music you first start listening to as you hit puberty will end up your favorite. This is what causes the Wrong Generation people who, when they were 13/14, simply listened to old classics instead of contemporary music.
>>
You have three types of zoomers, or any type of young people.

The unhip who are trying to hard to be hip, aka the ones who only like modern music and hate anything old because they're trying to hard.
Then you have the opposite, the ones doing the same thing but reverse, hate anything modern because it doesn't have the same credibility as old stuff.
Then you have the third option of actual music fans who enjoy music from any era as long as it appeals to them and don't care about the associated image they get from it.
>>
>>85838497
No, it brainwashes humans into liking it.
>>
>>85838497
then why does every generation (yes, zoomers included) like boomer music?
>>
>>85838519
>Actually it has nothing to do with it being "their" generation of music. Literally any type of music you first start listening to as you hit puberty will end up your favorite.
These two things are literally the same thing. The "wrong generation" kids are the minority, not the majority. By "their" music I meant the one that they were sort of forced into because of rebellion, societal factors, their friends and family etc. It's completely psychological, my dude. But yes, usually the one in your adolescence is the one that ends up high on your list.
>>
>>85838554
They don't. The generation before the boomers HATED that shit and thought it was degenerate and outright Satanic. Boomers created it and zoomers usually listen to zoomer shit, not Led fucking Zeppelin.
Do you talk with people outside the internet?
>>
>>85838519
>Literally any type of music you first start listening to as you hit puberty will end up your favorite.
The more I think about this and relate it to myself and people I know, the less it rings true. Far more people I know found their favorite music during their 20's.
>>
File: t..jpg (19 KB, 465x407)
19 KB
19 KB JPG
>>85838554
(it's because obviously there's a larger library of accepted "classics" from the past than there are from the present, boomer)
>>
>>85838573
Every generation has a portion of kids who are only intol previous generations.

Who the fuck do you think is buying all the Led Zeppelin and AC/DC shirts at Walmart? I don't know when you were born, but in the 90s/00s there was a lot of 70s/80s nostalgia going on and it was cool to a certain sect to be a "classic rocker" or "old school metalhead" and wear old rock shirts and grow your hair out, the fact that I still see young kids like this tells me it never went away either.
>>
>>85838554
Because it's just a matter of what music you're exposed to and how you're exposed to it when you're growing up, and "boomer music" is still popular and favorably viewed.
>>
>>85838604
That's still the minority. And people buy those shitty t-shirts because they look cool. Ever asked a girl what her favourite Nirvana song was when she wore that shirt? "What's Nirvana" she said.
>>
>>85838618
>girls
>music
Anon...I...

In any case, to go a generation lower than mine, I know for a fact tons of kids were into that shit because of Guitar Hero, I know because I failed way too many grades and hung out with those kids as their leader.
>>
>>85838585
This. I didn't even like music at 13/14.
>>
>>85838466
>n of actual music fans who enjoy music from any era as long as it appeals to them and don't care about the associated image they get from it.
They've grew up listening to pop music and transitioned to soundcloud rap music. They're so used to that sound that as soon as they listen to something different they start to reject it
>>
>>85838618
Can confirm. One girl I knew had a Joy Division Shirt. I said so you like Joy Division, she literally said she didn't know it was a band shirt and just liked the squiggly lines. I played her some and I don't think she was interested.

Worst was when a gen z girl said no films from before 2005, like don't make it fuckin' difficult or anything.

One guy said "old movies make my eyes hurt." Fucking wimp.

From a gen y "boomer." (or am I doomer)?
>>
>>85838466
who are you qutoing
>>
>>85838542
This tbqh
>>
>>85838573
I mean zoomers kind of listen to Zeppelin nowadays.

*cough cough* Greta Van Fleet *cough cough*
>>
>>85838466
Babby’s first /mu/ post
>>
>>85838519
I only started listening to albums at 17,at 13/14 i would listen exclusively to eminem
>>
>>85840005
Greta Van Fleet appeals to boomers
>>
>>85838519
I'd say the music I listened to in my teens was a gateway to what I listen to now.
Can't say I hate bands like Linkin Park and Limp Bizkit, which is what I listened to when I was 14, but I'm sure as fuck not into nu-metal anymore. However, it did set me on the path towards extreme music.
29 now and the past 9 years my tastes didn't change very much. Just meandered around the doom, death, stoner, prog and psych domains a bit.
>>
>>85838466
digital vs analogue
>>
They don't, but they refuse to try anything besides a chart topper.
>>
File: pepe.png (9 KB, 400x400)
9 KB
9 KB PNG
I don't know, but I noticed that normies tend not to realise that before they were born people were pretty much as complex, but we just had less technology. For example they think 60s is old, and in 1700s people lived in caves or smth. Or they think that our ancestors were unintelligent or they can't appreciate what ancient Greece/Rome gave us, etc.
They really think that it was so long ago, that life was diametrically different
>>
>>85838519
This seems like a correlation thing. Most people probably do most of their genre experimentation in that period.
>>
File: 1548883111489.jpg (14 KB, 473x333)
14 KB
14 KB JPG
>>85838519
that's not....

wait..
>>
>>85841367
True this. People have never really changed, yet everyone always pretends that this exact time-space moment is drastically different compared to everything before it. The only thing that might have been different is that more people had their lives more firmly placed in one routine due to relative lack of social mobility. Other than that, it was always chaos, lack of understanding and general incompetence, all day, every day.
>>
>>85838519
>Literally any type of music you first start listening to as you hit puberty will end up your favorite
I was mostly listening to breakbeat hardcore (early 90s UK rave) then. I still like it, but I wouldn't call it my favorite genre.
>>
>>85838466
Because they're insecure and use their taste in music as a proxy for social clout

It's why zoomers fly off the handle and call you a virgin when you insinuate their music is functionally the same as sceneshit was in the 2000s
>>
>>85838497
>>85838519
Yes because I really want to relive nu metal and pop punk. Not.
>>
>>85842855
I bet you're one of these faggy hipsters that pretend to like shit like neutral milk hotel, death grips and other /mu/-core shit that has been posted as a joke but started to get taken seriously by some retards like you.
>>
File: 06c.jpg (64 KB, 600x494)
64 KB
64 KB JPG
>>85842981
It's almost as if people have different subjective tastes, moron.
>>
>>85842855
I can attest that I don't listen to much early 2000s stuff because I don't regard that era that highly, not in the least because it was the period when everything was brickwalled to be AS LOUD AS POSSIBLE.
>>
>>85838542
There's also the "art" crowd of zoomers that have a very specific image and only listen to indie rock and classic rock from pretty much any era.
>>
>>85838542
And then you have people like Christgau who hate anything they imagine their old high school bullies would listen to.
>>
>>85838466
>NPC meme
Go back to /pol/ Fascist. This is a lefty board.
>>
>>85838542
>Then you have the third option of actual music fans who enjoy music from any era as long as it appeals to them and don't care about the associated image they get from it.

Image is mostly only a thing teenagers care about because they're shallow as fuck. For example no 14 year old boy would have actually admitted to liking No Doubt, but as an adult one could admit they had some good songs.
>>
woof imagine thinking there are still "crowds" and "subcultures" in streamed playlistland
>>
>>85841522
Bah. The ancient Romans had the same complaints as today. The weather sucks, my employer sucks, my back hurts, women won't have me, young people complaining about old people, old people complaining about young people, I can't afford to buy a toga as nice as Antonius next door, etc, etc.
>>
>>85838466
what an actual fucking uncultured worm, I'll have you know REAL MUSIC would be the heavenly sounds of cavemen mating sounds (by the way I have 56 PhDs and 210 IQ, I don't expect anyone with an IQ lower than 200 to relate with me). my generation would never understand because they're too busy listening to lil hump or whatever the hell he's called. oh how I pity their normieness
>>
>>85838466
rap music still gets disgusted looks from people
>>
>>85843206
as all degenerate art should
>>
>>85843258
>>>/pol/
>>
>>85843258
Based & Redpilled
>>85843844
Cringe & Bluepilled
>>
File: 1386973917169.jpg (121 KB, 821x570)
121 KB
121 KB JPG
>>85843855
cringe
>>
>>85844279
>animeposter
>leftie
every time
>>
>>85838589
There's a weird disconnect post about 1995, even though 1999 was twenty fuckin' years ago. I still hear AC/DC, Zeppelin, Nirvana, Soundgarden, etc. on normie FM radio, but rarely hear anything canonized from the late 90s on forward. The closest would be Chili Peppers or the Foo Fighters but all of those bands either came out of well known other bands or were around well before 1995.
>>
>>85838604
90s nostalgia is the equivalent of 60s / 70s nostalgia. Most of my friends in HS (in the 90s) were super into Pink Floyd, the Beatles, the Doors, Led Zep, Hendrix, Rush, etc. so I imagine getting down to Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, Chili Peppers, Beastie Boys, and so forth is the same thing.
>>
>>85843258
Rock is degenerate negermusik as well.
>>
>>85844316
That's because everyone wants to forget about that era.
Although vidya was great during that time.
>>
When will these awful Wojak edit threads just end already?
>>
>>85838645
based retard rebel blazing a trail for the simpleminded zoomers
>>
>>85842394
shut up incel
>>
>>85843191
>plato literally complains about young people not listening to old people
>after his teacher was executed for teaching young people not to blindly obey old people
>also plato thinks all art should be held to the standard of being good in the eyes of gods
The primodial angry boomer right at the birthplace of proto-European mindset. We're never getting out of this cycle on a global level. Best accept it and move on, at least personally.
>>
>>85838497
not true i grew up in the nu metal era and i do not think it is the best ever although i do think it is better than the crap they play nowadays

*sips bangs*
>>
>>85838497
Although this is true, for zoomers it isnt. They are just fucking stupid ignorant faggots, who seem to have consumed too much estrogen beans. Also they just buy what tv, and social media tells them. All sheeps
>>
>>85847151
And the previous generation said the same shit about you. Congratulation, you just played yourself.
>>
>>85847194
No we dont consume estrogen beans, we eat steak, we like our pussy authentic (we dont like traps and trannies sorry) and we dont cry over little faggots who get shot in there expensive cars.
>>
>>85847271
>if I create a strawman I'll be easily able to defeat it
Congrats, you're continuing to play yourself.
>>
>>85847300
lal
>>
>yeah man I’m not a mindles consumer, I listen to real classic rock, it’s made with real instruments so it’s better
>>
>>85844304
One of the universal constants.
>>
>>85847271
>he didn't cry over biggie and pac
disgusting
soulless
inhuman
>>
>>85838519
Not really.
https://metro.co.uk/2019/02/07/millennials-prefer-music-20th-century-golden-age-pop-today-research-reveals-8462993/
Besides that wouldn't explain people who prefer classical or jazz or whatever...
>>
>>85838519
fuck off with this pseudoscience bullshit
psychology is aids sometimes i swear
>>
>>85838466
they don't this person you hate doesn't exist
>>
HYPEBEAST SHITFAGGOTS BTFO
>The 643 participants, typically aged 18 to 25, maintained a steady memory of top tunes that came out between 1960 and 1999. In contrast, their memory of 21st-century songs from 2000 to 2015 – while higher overall – diminished rapidly over time.
>>
>play the ink spots at a party
>yo dis white boy on that old 1950s white people shit
>>
>>85848758
well that's the thing about modern pop, there's so little focus on memorable melodies. records that traffic in hooks and rousing choruses are passed over, even, as we saw with CRJ's emotion

it's almost become mood music, background noise to be streamed. compare the current american chart-topper "7 rings" to any vintage britney spears and the stark difference is made clear

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.