[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/mu/ - Music

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

1. TVU - Velvet Underground & Nico
2. Andrew W.K. - I Get Wet
3. Patty Waters - Sings

These three albums are all that an avant teen with schizoaffective disorder ever needs. Literally endless depth.

TVU & N covers all the bases that good rock 'n' roll can using varied yet minimal arrangements and structures.

Andrew W.K.'s I Get Wet stands simultaneously as a slab of pure high energy, and as something much more nefarious. Its not immediately obvious, but Andrew W.K.'s real goal, in a way, is "creating nothing". One of the few musical artists to really tap into an idea that is probably beyond full human comprehension.

I won't spoil Patty Waters' Sings for you. Just listen to it from the first track, let yourself get into it, and prepare for the last track to be one of the most deeply moving experiences music can provide.
>>
>>85202220
OP, be weary of coming up with pointless theories that are only meaningful to you.

I mean great, you found three very different albums you like, that you feel between them give you a pretty wide listening experience. But here's the thing: other people probably have other albums that fit those basic niches of those three, that they like more based on their personal preference.

VU & Nico is an experimental album with strong songwriting. Great. Who else makes music like that? A lot of people. Wovenhand. Roxy Music. Richard Hell & The Voidoids.

Andrew WK makes celebratory hard rock music. Great. So does every goofy thrash band that sings about beer (i.e. DRI).

Patty Waters is a singer/songwriter with stark emotional songs. Great. There's also Soap&Skin, Bat for Lashes, and others. Patty Waters is probably better than those two, but that doesn't necessarily mean everyone will prefer her.
>>
>>85202410
>But here's the thing: other people probably have other albums that fit those basic niches of those three, that they like more based on their personal preference.
oh shit really?
btw the word is wary
>>
>>85202462
lol you're defensive and a retard.

You made that thread with all the genre categorization lists too, didn't you?
>>
>>85202489
you know you can look at how many posters there are in a thread right? im not OP
i just found your post to be annoying
>>
>>85202562
I find you to be annoying. And stupid.
>>
>>85202410
Just havin a little fun and trying to create some discussion. Open to hearing other people's choices.

I don't think you've actually gone farther than 30 seconds skimming YouTube if you're really comparing Patty Waters to Bat for Lashes. And Andrew W.K.'s weird performance art Andy Kaufman sort of thing gives his music a much odder dimension than just hard pop rock.
>>
>>85202577
thats fine, i wont stop you from dispensing sagely advice such as "TVU is not the only band that combines experimentation with strong songwriting capabilities".
i heard that The Rolling Stones are not, in fact, the only group that dabbled in blues rock- is this true???
>>
>>85202220
TVU suck
>>
>>85202805
When people say this I honestly feel bad for them. What a massive thing to miss out on.
>>
>>85202883
>What a massive thing to miss out on.
I didn't miss out on anything, I've heard the whole album.
>>
>>85202954
Listen to the three after it. They all sound totally different.
>>
>>85202220
>Its not immediately obvious, but Andrew W.K.'s real goal, in a way, is "creating nothing". One of the few musical artists to really tap into an idea that is probably beyond full human comprehension.
What the fuck? Are you retarded?
>>
>>85202220
>Patty Waters Sings

BlllllaaaaaaaaAAAAAAAAAAAAACK
BLAAAAAAAAAACK
BLACK BLLLAAACK BLAACK BLAAACK
BLAAAAAAAƀAAAAAAACK
>>
>>85203075
Go do some googling about the Steev Mike saga. Andrew W.K. is a performance artist using the breakdown of his own identity as a vehicle towards getting people to question reality as a whole.
>>
>>85203017
I've also listened to their second album and I think it's even worse since it's missing Nico which I think had the best songs on the first one. I really don't like Lou Reed's voice.
>>
>>85203187
Pleb filtered. Oh well at least go listen to Desertshore then.
>>
>>85203211
Not even gonna bother with that, I don't like Nico either, TVU is just Lou Reed talking over shit music.
>>
>>85203239
I'm curious as to what are some of your favorite artists?
>>
>>85203359
Beatles, Pixies, Weezer, Beach Boys
>>
>>85203439
I hate you but I respect you
>>
File: hbvvbcbcv.png (63 KB, 244x274)
63 KB
63 KB PNG
>>85202410
>her
oh i was actually hyped to listen to this from op's praise but finds out it's a female singer. no thanks :p
>>
>>85203593
>title is a female name followed by the word "sings"
>Anon is surprised it has a female vocalist

Look anon, I fucking hate women as much as you do but I'm telling you this girl was on to something. What she does with her voice on that last track is unbelievably disturbing and hardly singing at all.
>>
File: 200w.gif (987 KB, 200x200)
987 KB
987 KB GIF
>>85203647
yeah i listened to the first and last track and it sounds like complete shit. fuck you for recommending this
>>
Sometimes I think that hearing Heroin at the age of 10 was the most important formative experience of my youth. I think people who listen to it at an older age or after having heard more contextualizing work might never really be as affected by that song as I am. My MP3 player had ACDC, Blink 182, Sum41, and.. Heroin. It was the most disturbing thing I had ever heard and yet I could not pull myself away.
>>
>>85202410
>But here's the thing: other people probably have other albums that fit those basic niches of those three, that they like more based on their personal preference.
So we shouldn't share our personal experiences with music because other people may have had similar experiences with different music? I don't understand what the point of your argument is. Are you just trying to make OP feel ashamed for making a simple statement about 3 albums without listening to every similar album first? Why not just debate the merits of OP's post instead of making this crazy non-sequitur to talk about how some music is similar to others?
>>
>>85203806
Lotta projection here.

The point isn't to make OP feel ashamed in any way. It's that I see a lot of these personal theories shared on this site, about the "perfect" albums for certain functions. That's not an effective way to communicate. If OP wanted to talk about different types of albums that will appeal to people in general, that would be much more meaningful. If OP talked about these three albums specifically in relation to himself and what they mean to him, that would be meaningful. But in the way he phrased his post, he's prescribing them to people in general, as sort of covering all the bases. There are many other albums that could serve that same function, so by inflating the significance of the albums he named, he will fail to communicate effectively to people with different preferences.
>>
>>85204077
OP here. I stated the albums were for "avant teens with schizoaffective disorder" which I don't think is a very broad category. I also was obviously using hyperbole when I said "all that is needed". They're just albums I enjoy that fit a certain mindset.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.