[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/mu/ - Music

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: Hounds_of_love.jpg (170 KB, 640x640)
170 KB
170 KB JPG
So I did a review for one of my all-time favorite albums, Hounds of Love. For fans of the album, or I guess anyone that gives a shit, could you guys give me some feedback? Is it shit? Is it actually any good?

https://undefinedcollective.com/vino_portfolio/hounds-of-love/

https://undefinedcollective.com/vino_portfolio/hounds-of-love/
>>
Just post Scaruffi's and be done with it. Never trust an amateur to do a pro's job.
>>
>>84503469
fpbp
>>
>>84503469
I'd would trust a 10 year old's opinion on an album more than scaruffi.
>>
>>84503469
Scaruffi wrote less than 1 sentence about it. He says absolutely nothing about the lyrical themes or vocals or anything. I like Scaruffi's brevity for his own style, but he you can't consider him your oracle if you actually want any analysis or description from content.
>>
Really excellent writing and in-depth analysis/explanation of this wonderful album. A couple criticisms:
1. "Kate Bush‘s" the punctuation is wrong, it happens several times and you should fix it. Little things like that have the potential to make some picky people write off the article immediately without even reading it.
2. I wish you would have inserted some evidence, i.e., quotes from Kate Bush interviews. For example, there's one where she talks about how on "Waking the Witch," there's a voice saying "Come here with me, love." And she says that's a reference to her own life because her mother would always tell her "come here with me" when she was trying to wake her out of a bad dream. Or something, idk, I'm too lazy to find it.
Anyway, other than those nitpicky things this is awesome and I would have loved to read something comprehensive like this when I was first listening to the album and couldn't make heads or tails of it. Congratulations!
>>
more = objective analysis of the music
less - gushing fanfiction
>>
>>84503431
It's not terrible but definitely some cringe lines. Something about your writing style isn't really clicking for me and feels high school-esque.
Avoid lines like:
>What can I even say about this track?
>You will cry, you will be blanketed in comfort, and you will be terrified
^talk about your experience of the album from your perspective, don't tell the reader what to feel.
6/10. Work on your phrasing and expression a bit. The passion is there.
>>
File: christgau1med.jpg (18 KB, 400x266)
18 KB
18 KB JPG
Hounds of Love [EMI America, 1985]
Just as her music says she hopes everyone does, I respect and like this woman. Though it's tempting to slot her with Laura Nyro, you never get the sense she's a fool--she's more circa-Hejira Joni Mitchell. Her best songs can't match their best, but sonically she's magnificent, out-stripping her art-rock mentors, and it would be churlish to deny her to audiophiles and/or young women seeking independent role models. Nevertheless, to be a Romantic with a capital R in 1986 is to be a Victorian like Tennyson, who provides Bush her epigraph. It is deliberately to cultivate a sensibility whose time you know perfectly well has passed. B
>>
>>84503633
>Red [Big Machine, 2012]
>So if Stephin Merritt can make a big deal out of 69 love songs, why can't Taylor Swift make a fairly big deal out of 16? His being formally savvy in his pop-polymath way and hers being formally voracious in her pop-bestseller way? Need either deal be autobiographical? One hopes not in both cases, although verisimilitude has its formal aspects for bestsellers. Swift hits the mark less often than Merritt--65 or 70 percent, I'd say. But one could argue that the verisimilitude requirement forces her to aim higher. I like the feisty ones, as I generally do. But "Begin Again" and especially "Stay Stay Stay" stay happy and hit just as hard. That's hard. A-
Imagine being such a literal retard that you give Taylor Swift a higher grade than Kate Bush
>>
>>84503624

>>84503633
He's been writing at this level for half a century and gotten away with it. No reason to call the OP a failure.
>>
>>84503595
What's wrong with "Kate Bush's", what should it be?
2. That's actually a brilliant idea. Gonna keep that in mind, thanks a lot man. I was trying to kind of make it more comprehensive of the album's content, but I definitely could benefit from some reference to the actual artist, esp. being the legend she is. Seriously, thanks a lot man for the tips and I'm glad you liked it!
>>84503624
Yeah, even writing it felt a little melodramatic at times, but I was trying to play it up big considering the magnitude of the album's acclaim and quality. Could probably hone it in a bit in the future. Thanks for the feedback
>>84503633
Get the worst music reviewer out of my thread ASAP. That hack doesn't belong here. Anyone who discounts entire artist because they disagree ideologically with the art's creator is not a good reviewer
>>
>>84503431
>those dogs are dead by now
Depressing.
>>
>>84503749
If OP wanted to be a hack he wouldn't have bothered to ask for criticism.
>>
>>84503769
>what should it be?
not him but obv Kate's Bush
>>
It's A Beautiful Day [Columbia, 1969]
This is on the charts. Get it off. D

Excellent, insightful journalism.
>>
And then Lady Gaga stole the title track and made it into Poker Face. The end.
>>
File: kate bushs.png (221 KB, 2186x784)
221 KB
221 KB PNG
>>84503769
Nothing at all, just that the apostrophe's sloping the wrong way, it should be the upwards apostrophe. Pedantic, I know, but it makes a difference. No problem! Hope you write more of them!
>>
>>84503431

1. You have bad taste
2. Going around wanting everybody to read your album reviews, whilst also having the stubborn personality that you have, really makes me want to filter you out completely....and usually I like trips.
I just feel like your looking for an audience. Your taste isn’t unique, nor does your writing in any way persuade me to listen to an album. Your intention feels like it comes from a place of insecurity and superiority, which isn’t my vibe dawg
>>
>>84503769
>Yeah, even writing it felt a little melodramatic at times, but I was trying to play it up big considering the magnitude of the album's acclaim and quality. Could probably hone it in a bit in the future. Thanks for the feedback
I understand that. Maybe instead of 'dramatic' language you could've dived into the psychology of the album a bit more, which you did address a bit. I guess my point about expression was more like that the overuse of adjectives makes the tone of the piece feel disingenuous, even though I know that's not your intention. You could've expanded more on themes of fear, catharsis, pathos since the lyricism of the album is one of the more important parts since side B is a concept album.
>>
>>84503820
Enjoying Christgau is the #1 sign of a pseudo-intellectual music listener. He's actually embarrassing
>>84503804
actually kek'd thanks anon
>>84503855
How are you getting any of that from me wanting constructive feedback to improve my writing? Seems like it's in your head dawg. Quit being so cynical
>>84503837
Holy wtf haha I'll change that, thanks, hadn't even noticed. Feel free to check out anything else I've done on that site under magazine if you want to read more. Are you on rym?
>>
Don't Call Me Mama Anymore [RCA Victor, 1974]
How about Fatso? D
>>
File: kate_bush_chilling.jpg (74 KB, 700x701)
74 KB
74 KB JPG
Was she always this chill?
>>
>>84503974
He'd be denounced for fat-shaming today. It was a different time.
>>
>>84503861
Good point. I've actually reined it in more with the adjectives from when I was just doing reviews on RYM for fun. When I get wrapped up in the moment, I get a bunch of different descriptors running around my brain and want to use all of them lol. I think for my next review I'm gonna try and make it more like 1 part description 2 part commentary. Point noted, thanks.
>>84504007
I like to think so
>>
>>84503926
I am, though I barely use it. Your username?
>>
Stand Up [Island, 1969]
Fans of the group think it's a great album. I am not a fan of the group. I think it is an adequate album. B-
>>
>>84503469
why should i trust this "scaruffi" over a /mu/ poster?
>>
>>84503431
I don't get how RUTH is a feminist anthem, and I've never heard it described that way. She's not looking for equality in the song or men to understand women she's looking for men and women to understand each others very different POVs and experiences. A feminist anthem would probs be more focused on the desire for men to understand her and less so on her desire to see where a man is coming from, and feminists have trouble admitting to just how different we are while she wants to explore the differences. Not sure if I'm making sense but the word feminism itself is also just a huge turnoff for a lot of people and I'd probably avoid using it unless it applied 100℅.
>>
>>84504124
You're overthinking a song that was clearly about fucking a dude and wanting to "switch" positions so she could experience benis in bagina from the dude's POV and the dude from a woman's POV.
>>
>>84503749
Remember he got his start by calling Jimi Hendrix and all other black performers at the Monterrey Pop Festival porch monkeys.
>>
File: soulfood.png (698 KB, 1920x1080)
698 KB
698 KB PNG
>>84503469
>>84503633
>>84503672
>>84503749
>>84503769
>>84503820
>>84503926
>>84503974
>>84504085
Please bow down to based Christgau.
>>
>>84504083
~HotOpinions
>>84504124
https://genius.com/Kate-bush-running-up-that-hill-a-deal-with-god-lyrics

Kate herself has testified that the song is about exactly what I wrote about on Radio 1 with Richard Skinner: "I was trying to say that, really, a man and a woman can’t understand each other because we are a man and a woman. And if we could actually swap each other’s roles, if we could actually be in each other’s place for a while, I think we’d both be very surprised! [Laughs] And I think it would lead to a greater understanding."

I just thought it would be a detraction to reference it in the review
>>
>>84504206
Damn, Christgau likes gabagool?? Officially BASED
>>
>>84504227
Added ya bro. Personally I think it works to call it a feminist anthem, it seems like that anon just has negative associations with the term "feminism" but so do most people on here.
>>84504148
This is very true.
>>
>>84504206
You forgot to mention that Sc*ruffi is shitalian whereas Christgau is of glorious German descent
>>
>>84504228
>>84504315
thank you, finally some valuable art criticism itt
>>
>>84503926
>constructive feedback

Just admit that you don’t “get” or understand the album. Or that it’s not for you... I like your passion, but you definitely have an elitist mentality/arrogance about yourself. It shows, guy.

>in my head

Said the guy who rates albums on a .00%. Scale lmao
>>
File: IMG_2407.jpg (34 KB, 400x570)
34 KB
34 KB JPG
>>84503431
really enjoyed reading that desu. hol is my alltime favorite record but I kinda agree with some of this >>84504124 cuz that song doesnt hit me as political in nature but some interpersonal honesty in spite of feminist politics and feminism is political to me
idk but I reallly appreciate you writing out the ninth wave so well
a friend and I used to argue about whether or not the character was dead at the end and he was convinced that the morning fog was her in heaven but glad to see u agree with me

did u know her parents and family are all on the album? the people talking in waking the witch and I think the poetry later on is one of her bros writings and vocals
>>
>>84504302
I really don't! I'd definitely call myself a feminist, was just pointing out that a lot of people do have a bad reaction to it. i just don't see it as feminist anthem for the same reasons I said and then he reiterated to me. That it's about wanting to understand each others different experiences, not about trying to gain equality or recognition of equality, and in no way a "girl power" type thing either. I'm not shitting on the guy just offering a different POV.
>>
>>84504674
Gotcha! Sorry, just assumed that from your tone and the fact that I haven't seen many people with positive views towards feminism here.
>>
>>84504674
>i'd definitly call myself a feminazi
disgusting

that being said kates shit did change what I thought about chicks in music not enough to go full libtard
>>
File: 1534878179655.jpg (84 KB, 720x722)
84 KB
84 KB JPG
>>84504924
name a popular female artist that isnt a tory
>>
>>84504302
This is fact. The word feminist triggers some people here just as much as "libtard" would for the "left"
>>84504416
I don't even get what you're talking about. What about my review makes you think I don't ""get"" it? A lot of my analysis is drawn from things Kate has said herself. Idk man you think what you want
>>84504521
As far as the first part read>>84504227
Kate does intend it to be a song about gender roles. That being said, art is art, and we can take whatever we want from it. I definitely see it as more than that, and just in general the idea of wanting a different life.

Thanks a lot about the review man! Feel free to tell your friend that if you research it, Kate actually says herself that the character survives the incident. Before I did all my research to review it I actually DID think it was supposed to be left to interpretation(Morning Fog could be her going to heaven and getting to see her family whenever they get there and tell them she loves them), but Kate's self-confession let me know otherwise.

I actually did! I have one of her little autobiographies. I find that so incredibly cool that she worked them in, because especially the ninth wave is clearly an allegorical story that uses her own life experience as reference

>>84504674
Did you read my post about Kate herself saying it is about gender roles specifically from how she wrote it? But like I said above everyone's welcome to take it as they like. I prefer to think of it as just the way you put it of wanting to be in any person's shoes, because luckily in today's day in age men and women are put on a much more equal plain than when Kate wrote the song. And the issue isn't quite as pertinent now
>>84504903
>>84504924
>>84504957
Why is Tory a pejorative term to you with libtard being one also? So for Americans its patriotic and great, and for the UK being a Tory(literally a UK patriot) it's an insult? That logic is fucked if you ask me
>>
>>84504903
Lol well not everyone who identifies as feminist is a full on SJW or even liberal! Equality of opportunity, not sameness and all that. Traditional roles are pretty sweet but I like the idea of being able to choose whether or not that's how you want to live your life and that looks like feminism to me. Extremists just make everyone afraid of the word.
>>
>>84504995
huh? how is a tory a patriot?
>>
>>84505078
I didn't word myself correctly. I'm saying a "tory" is a british conservative, so criticizing "libtards"(implying you're a US conservative) and tories in the same breath seems hypocritical to me. Idk I don't want to derail the thread so far so I don't want to get too into it
>>
>>84505120
oh im from the uk but yeah i wont let it go on any further
>>
>>84504995
>Did you read my post..
Yeah I did, and I felt like we were saying the same thing and I've read her account before, when everyone was saying the song was about suicide because if some sadboy Placebo cover lol.
We're just getting different things out of her explanation but that's cool. Everyone has a different idea on what feminism is too but I don't want to be here all night!

Which book do you have btw? I started collecting Kate stuff a long time ago but I've fallen so far behind. Just got full bindups of the old fanzines recently and they're actually pretty neat. Some photos I hadn't seen before and a lot of cringy/cute fanart.
>>
>>84505176
Yeah I feel where you're coming from. The song is lyrically poignant no matter how you view it, which I think is part of its genius!

So the one I have is Under the Ivy: The Life and Music of Kate Bush. It's not good for rare pics, but it does a really good job of pooling accounts from people who were close to her, schoolmates and teachers, her family etc. at giving you a picture of her life and what may have inspired her music. To that end, I found it a really cool read.
>>
File: 8DIYvd4.jpg (638 KB, 1988x1988)
638 KB
638 KB JPG
>>84503515
>he can't read Italian
Absolutely pleb.

>Instead Hounds Of Love (sep 1985), the first album entirely produced by Bush in his private studio, he preferred to concentrate on a seasoned soul singer voice. Bush turned to a more heavy, rhythmic, and aggressive sound, under the banner of voluptuous technological-tribal whirlpools by Peter Gabriel ( Hounds Of Love and Running Up That Hill ). However, his ambitions are still evident in the martial crescendo of Cloudbursting and in Ninth Wave , a Gaelic concept-suite that is also a psychoanalytic journey within its cultural roots and which applies production techniques similar to those of late Pink Floyd (though `the" human "effect of acoustic instruments).
>>
File: kate_bush_doggo.jpg (48 KB, 444x402)
48 KB
48 KB JPG
>>84504007
God I wish that were me
>>
File: kate_chill_af.jpg (10 KB, 236x241)
10 KB
10 KB JPG
>>84505667
>>
>>84505613
That was a much better read, thanks for posting. I was already aware that the English translations are really spotty
>>
Didn’t expect much but this is actually pretty good
>>
>>84503431
>>84503515
Fuck off you embarrassing tripfag.
>>
>>84503769
>Get the worst music reviewer out of my thread ASAP
you are the worst music reviewer in this thread
>>
>>84505667
she looks so british there

yikes
>>
>>84505976
thanks anon!
>>84506057
>>84506021
I learned a long time ago that on this site unsubstantiated statements should be taken with a grain of salt

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.