[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/mu/ - Music

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

I mastered the 5 pentatonic shapes last weekend but how to flow between them effortlessly?
>>
>>114704175
what the fuck is that nonsense
should be a gif
>>
>>114704175
I am self-taught so forgive this very amateur explanation, but this helped me. Go from one shape to a sequential shape (either right or left) in different patterns. Diagonal helped me the most, but you can also make up your own patterns (zig-zags, down one shape and up the next one, etc)
>>
>>114704175
>how to flow between them effortlessly?
literally just keep playing up and down the neck switching between the adjacent shapes until it becomes automatic
>>
>>114704175
if you memorized shapes and not intervals, then you wasted your time
>>
>mastered

lol
>>
Try practicing the scale on just one string, then two, three, etc. Play down the road, not across the street.
>>
>>114704291
shapes before intervals speeds up the mechanical part of learning
>>
I memorized the english dictionary, how do I write Shakespeare?
>>
>>114704175
>shapes
>flow between
tried that before, and i tried so so many more things in the same vein, it never works

>>114704291
this is what worked
as obscure and random as it may seem, the only way to not be confined to shapes is to be able to jump to a certain note and rebuilding the rest of the scale from it
>>
>>114704245
wait you can jump between them?
how? I thought you can only use the one that's in the scale you're using in the song
>>
You practice them

The beauty of pentatonics is that you can play them over literally any chord progression and they almost always work. It's why chink music is entirely based off of pentatonic scales.
>>
>>114705914
like that guy with a perfect memory who memorized the french dictionary just to win the scrabble championship in france and he doesn't know what any of the words mean
>>
>>114706961
Why does EVERYONE on /mu/ suck shit at guitar so badly?

You just said you had fucking “mastered” the five pentatonic shapes yet you don’t even understand the most basic principle about them

Let’s say the 5 notes of the G minor pentatonic scale are G – B – C – D – F.

When you play around the 5 pentatonic shapes starting with the G minor pentatonic scale, all you are doing is finding these same notes, G – B – C – D – F, everywhere that they exist on the fret board

It is essentially just continuing the basic pentatonic scale, but doing so all over and up and down the entire neck

There you go, “guitar master”. Understand now?? RETARD RETARD RETARD RETARD!!!
>>
>>114707923
The B is actually B flat, but 4chan wouldn’t let me copy post the flat symbol
>>
>>114706961
you can do whatever you want anon :)
>>
>>114707942
Just use a lowercase b
>>
have you tried throwing your infant son out the windy?
>>
>>114706961
do you have a favorite solo? find the scale that it uses and notice how it "jumps" between those shapes. all you're doing is playing the "right" notes of the scale in question, but those notes are everywhere in the shapes, so you can't really miss. now, making music of course is not going to be easy. finding common licks and riffs is a beginner friendly way of starting to create your own solos. either way, put on a backing track and explore the entire shape.
>>
>>114704175
you should've learned the major scale because all scales are just based on the major scale. You got scammed by boomers
>>
>>114704175
Pick one shape and then practice improvising with it over a song. This is also require you to know how to find the key of a song and whether to use minor or major pentatonic, which are both very simple. When you're comfortable with messing around improvising with that one shape (you don't have to sound great), add in the second shape and consciously try to switch jump between them as you improvise. As you get comfortable, continue adding more shapes.
>>
>>114706961
I think you need to go back to 0 and learn what a scale is
>>
>>114707942
RETARD RETARD RETARD RETARD
>>
>>114704175
you mastered them, so that you must know what the roman numerals inside some of the dots mean?
>>
>>114710610
>”you’re dumb because you don’t understand the inner workings of a website for autistic adult virgins”

Post your playing on vocaroo so everyone can fucking LAUGH AT YOU
>>
>>114710641
Exactly, he did understand that then he wouldn’t need to ask this question at all

Beginner guitarists are so self entitled and self complimentary about their shitty lack of any abilities. Whenever you hear someone say “I’m about at intermediate level” you know they absolutely suck shit
>>
>>114707942
Retard!
>>
>>114710669
https://voca.ro/19C1cPNmiZW8
It's just the notes G B C D F.
the Bs are supposed to be B flats but vocaroo wouldn't let me use the flat symbol
>>
>>114710669
It has nothing to do with the website, you just forgot that a lower case b exists.

RETARD RETARD RETARD
>>
File: 1444698672092.jpg (94 KB, 559x581)
94 KB
94 KB JPG
>>114707942
>>
>>114710714
>>114710838
>>114710895
Dumbasses, I didn’t COPY AND PASTE the flat symbol individually, I copied and pasted the entire scale which happened to have the flat symbol and it didn’t show up

You are FAGGOTSb, how about that
>>
>>114711620
reeeeeetaaaaaaarddd
>>
>>114710838
When I clicked this link I thought “I wonder what shitty and “ironic xD” thing he is going to play to avoid having to show how much he actually sucks”

Literally EVERY SINGLE TIME. Most people do Mary had a Little Lamb or something. Do you honestly think you’re fooling anyone with this you faggot?

By the way here’s my playing so you fucking kill yourself from humiliation: https://voca.ro/1omR2ARGdUQw
>>
>>114711686
>>114710838
>in before the predictable nervous fake laugh “hahaha that sucks!” while still not posting any of your own playing

Again, every single time.
>>
>>114711686
nice lisp, homo
>>
>>114711707
Just get your dumb ass back to /gg, Sam Troll.
>>
>>114711767
https://voca.ro/104SzBmRjwvd

>>114711786
Why would I go back to /talk about gear and instrument technical details but never actually practice or be able to play guitar at all General/? I can actually play, I don’t need to post there
>>
>>114706961
>the absolute state of /mu/
anon I beg you learn at least the most basic of music theory
>>
>>114711686
I love how the thread went quiet after this. All the beta males got guitarmogged and silently scurried away into the shadows.
>>
https://voca.ro/142oz9rvzq6r
Sup faggots, best guitarist here so far
>>
>>114713634
I feel so bad for people with Asperger’s. This was an actual moment in your life.
>>
>>114713754
I'll kill you
>>
>>114704175
now master shifting between them
>>
>>114704175
https://youtu.be/SHKjSBV0n3w
>>
>>114713348
being competitive about music is ubergay
>>
>>114712026
top kek
>>
>>114713908
haahahahaha
>>
>>114704175
honestly, it's probably too autistic for someone like you to wrap your head around. you have to be really committed and undeterred to understand fundamentals such as this. better to learn chords first, then major and minor scales second. don't take shortcuts
>>
>>114704175
how long did it take you?

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.