[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/mu/ - Music

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

Alex gbros we did it
>>
rated by a bunch of hipster, of course would it be high
>>
>>112819733
would be a 9 if cross the sea was removed
>>
>>112819918
Yeah also some of the other ones
>>
>>112819918
Rocket, Rules and Trick would be his only 9's. GSTA and HoS are far from a 9
>>
How does he do it? I've been listening to him since his Bandcamp years and the guy just never misses.
>>
>>112819918
Is that a different singer or his voice pitched lower instead of higher? Either way that's the worst part of the album.
>>
why does he mess with his vocals on almost every song. i cant even hear these mumbled autotuned lyrics. just sing normally bro, you did it for like 10 albums
>>
I don't get the praise for Alex, his music is pleasant but nothing outstanding
>>
Were gonna party tonight boys. That feel when I have to choose between seeing Alex G, Cindy Lee, and Jockstrap in 2 months
>>
Who the fuck listens to this shit?
>>
It insists upon itself
>>
>>112820730
He's probably still embarrassed by his own voice. He's all all over the place with his delivery live too.
>>
Anus g
>>
>>112820765
People who like Teen Suicide and Elvis Depressedly. It's a specific demographic of le depressed girls and guys with no friends.
>>
>>112820918
but it bumps in the whip ngl
>>
>>112821050
Why not just say it's good driving music?
>>
>>112820918
Haven't heard an Elvis Depressedly song in like 15 years. Jjust looked it up and yeah he sounds a lot like Alex. Teen Suicide doesn't sound anything like him though
>>
>>112820918
Literally have never heard of either of those bands. I like alex g. The only other music i enjoy is crystal castles, weezer, and video game music.
>>
>>112819733
I’d Rather Be Listening to Elliot Smith
>>
>>112820730
what a dumb fucking thing to say. you don't think vocal processing can be used as a tool for expression? that's like saying why did Bon Iver use autotune on 22 A Million. you're not even trying to understand the technique. it captures characterful eerie uncanniness
>>
Why did he do a whole soundtrack for that really shitty movie? The credits track is nice at least.
>>
>>112821267
I'm not always in the mood to be depressed. Alex G is like Elliot Smith with some optimism. Alex is a better singer too, because he's not constantly straining to hit high notes out of his range.
>>
>>112821356
No, he'll just pitch his voice in post or get one of his side bitches to do it for him.
>>
>>112820742
He's one of the best active songwriters at the moment, incredible ear for good melodies and chord progressions and his lyrics manage to be oddly relatable while also somewhat impersonal. The best part about him is that he is prolific as shit and has an insane amount of good songs released and unreleased, i still stumble upon a great song i haven't heard before every now and then.
>>
>>112821374
Elliot Smith just did everything himself even when it was outside his abilities. He must have been really protective of his work or wanted all the credit or something. Alex doesn't care and will just write another song because he's so prolific at songwriting
>>
Why does Alex G use shitty high school fan art as his album covers?
>>
>>112819733
someone please explain this shit to me its so boring
>>
>>112821567
Everything doesn’t need to be exciting anon
>>
This, House of Sugar, and Beach Music are his best. If you disagree, understandable.
>>
>>112821515
All of his covers are drawings by his sister
>>
>>112821788
I still like DSU the most
>>
>>112821820
Oh. Can she stop?
>>
>>112821285
except 22am has soul and atmosphere. this album sounds like shit on roughly half the tracks
>>
>>112822928
I didn't feel that way at all. Plenty of gorgeous, detailed multi-tracking and playful use of stereo that added to the atmosphere. Did you listen to this on an iphone? The hi-fi studio sound of this album is one of its best qualities. And if you find tracks like Runner, Miracles and Forgive soulless I don't know what to tell you. Even songs that might seem soulless at face value like No Bitterness and Immunity are bursting with passion.

Fucking stupid ass take dude.
>>
Is this a Christian album? Runner sounds like he's talking a out a drug dealer but it also sounds like he's talking about God.
>>
>>112821515
You ask this in literally every Alex G thread, even though they're not even bad paintings
>>
>>112821788
For some reason, Beach Music never fully clicked with me. Like it's fine, I will still listen to it, it just feels like his least special collection of songs.
>>
HoS was the only album from him that I ever liked.
Why is it looked down upon? Above and beyond more interesting than his preceding works.
>>
>>112820742
I think that what makes him good is that the guy makes music that isn't a direct 3 major chord song nor a Collier wankfest of notes. He does good music that doesn't try to overreach.

The only problem with his music is that some of his songs sound too similar in structure to others, or that some of his more "experimental" songs tend to fall flat, but overall it's fine.
>>
>>112820894
nice
>>
Live Through This/ Fontenelle/Bricks are Heavy shit over every shitty Moid grunge .
>>
>>112824330
>Bricks are Heavy
just googled, are they all trannies or something? why do they look like that?
>>
Alex G lurks here btw so make sure to make your feelings known
>>
>>112824803
i like the album alex
>>
>>112819733
>(Sandy) Alex gbros
FTFY
>>
For an album to end up on BNM there's a 70% chance it's objectively garbage.
I haven't listened to this album yet but I thought some newfriends ITT might need reminding.
>>
>>112820473
Last album was mid tho
>>
>>112820295
Rocket and Rules are his two weakest official releases lmao
>>
>>112819733
>we did it
Did what? Alex G wrote the review.
>>
>>112821788
Trick is his best work in my opinion. I like GSTA though, all of his stuff is good including the unreleased work
>>
>>112823601
He said in an interview that it's inspired by his friends that turned christian as they entered their 30s and started families.
>>
It gave me a bit of a 100gecs and bad bunny vibe in the songs cross the sea and some other before it.
>>
>>112826908
I haven't listened to it but I don't believe you
>>
>>112819733
Bros, does this mean he's going to become a huge star?
>>
>>112819733
Not his best, not his worst
>>
>>112823946
it isn't
>>
>>112827886
He's big with people who don't go outside.
>>
>p4k BNM for white male indie rock
We're back boys
>>
>>112821348
it's not shitty
>>
>>112824803
I don't think he even knows what a 4chan is. Dude used a flip phone until like 2015, he doesn't know shit about the internet.
>>
>>112826908
how sonically inept / underage are you to draw that comparison? serious question
>>
>>112823946
Contrarians will always exist, anon
>>
>>112830126
it was a running joke on here back in like 2014/15 that alex g was shilling his music on here
>>
>>112821356
>Alex G is like Elliot Smith with some optimism
This.

https://youtu.be/HcO-NPtj5BI
>>
>best tracks are bonus tracks or YouTube exclusive

I really do like Alex G, if not just for the sheer volume of good music he has put out. Even Race is a 10/10 for a 17 year old.
>>
>>112831937
this, there is atleast as many unreleased songs as there are released songs
>>
>>112819733
I found him through this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABt1OaCvbdA
Great stuff
>>
>>112832492
It's a good song but that movie looks like absolute trash.
>>
File: 1472413436545.jpg (25 KB, 692x524)
25 KB
25 KB JPG
>>112819733
Top songs from the album?
>>
>>112832549
It's a very specific film anon. It captured the loneliness and isolation of living mainly online as a teen. It doesn't stick the landing and I'm older so my online experience is different them that of a zoomer, let alone a teen girl, too.
But it really nailed that feeling. Might be worth a watch.
>>
>>112832550
Immunity because it's Sportstar pt. 2
>>
>>112832550
Runner is really nice and catchy. What I really didn't like were the ones with either some other guy singing or his voice pitched to sound like a shitty R&B singer.
>>
>>112832605
>some other guy singing
correct me if i'm wrong but i'm pretty sure he sings in all of them? there are male backup vox but never the lead
>>
It definitely suffers less from HoS having whole tracks dedicated to Alex playing around on Garage Band making deets and doots at 2am and putting it on an album. Taking, Project 2 and Near has to be the worst interlude of noise to cut a perfectly fine EP into a full length album with ear rape in the middle of it for no reason.
>>
>>112832641
He has used some girls as back up singers before who were hit and miss but Cross the Sea sounds like he had some aspiring black singer friend of his sing most of it that he tried to make sound interesting with auto tune. Whether it's Alex or someone else singing, it ruins the song.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.