[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/mu/ - Music

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

Is the album-form pleb filter?
>>
>>111248556
Yes. It's still the closest thing music has to the equivalent of a movie or book
>>
>>111248556
Normalfags don't even listen to albums except if Kendrick or Drake puts out one
>>
>>111248775
even then I know a lot of them listen on shuffle
>>
>>111248775
They're all ADHD-raddled zoomies who just wait for the media to dictate to them which are the best songs off an album to add to their playlist, they don't even have the minimal brainpower it takes to just listen to 40 mins of music and decide for themselves what their favorite songs are
>>
>>111248556
Yes.
>>
>>111248556
Listening to full albums is a minimum requirement for someone that claims that he likes music. You wouldn't read random chapters from different books or watch random scenes from different films.
>>
>>111249140
It's crazy to think about, but attention isn't so much time-based but change-based. Zoomers will gladly spend 2 consecutive hours listening to multiple songs in a playlist or Youtube algorithm, but one single 30 minute album is too much to handle. I guess it's about the nonstop dopamine hits of novelty or however the fuck the brain chemistry works.

Besides, so many artists structure albums as a semi-random collection of songs rather than a cohesive whole, so even modern albums are better facilitating listening to random songs and random orders. I'm not even talking about concept albums, just something where everything is just at least flows somewhat coherently.
>>
>>111248556
If an album isn’t made entirely from songs that are good as stand-alone tracks out of context, is the album good?
>>
>>111248556
Actually yes but the other way around.

If you discover "whole albums" it just reveals that you are getting older and have more patience for introspection.

When you get older you start to look at individual compositions as being more important. I only listen to individual music that I find pleasing now instead of burrowing through whole albums because that's just getting older I guess.

Today I'm just listening to a kawaii edm playlist because it's how I feel instead of forcing myself to listen to a whole converge album like I did in my late teens/early 20s.
>>
>>111248556
I listen 30 seconds of each song in album and pick up good songs in separate band playlist. This way I won't have to deal with boring tunes.
>>
>>111250781
your music habits change nothing to do with ur age lol

3 min song vs 40 min album is the same its a piece of audio just different lenghts
>>
>>111248556
Probably, but much like there are lots of pieces that weren't made as part of a greater whole, there are albums that are just a collection of unrelated tracks in an arbitrary order packed together because it was a convenient way to sell music to the masses.
>>
>>111248766
That would be operas dumbass
>>
>>111251238
Opera isn't purely musical because it involves stage theatrics and narration. It's a mixed media genre.
>>
>>111251296
Even then Symphonies, Concertos, and a miriad of other styles of concert music are much closer to "musical equivalents of movies or books" than the modern album format
>>
Some genres work best as albums, others are song-centric and it's very funny to watch rym teens rating the most popular album and ignoring the five minute masterpieces
>>111249140
>You wouldn't read random chapters from different books or watch random scenes from different films.
Yes I would, I reread The Symphony from Moby Dick and Proteus from Ulysses all the time
>>
>>111250781
your taste is so awful that no one could possibly care about what your perspective is on any of this since you're clearly too retarded to actually know what makes music good or how it should be appreciated
>>
>>111249369
This question triggers oldfags
>>
>>111248556
>standards and attention span declines
>"is *old common thing* a pleb filter?"
>>
>>111251474
An album is just the equivalent of a symphony for pop and rock music
>>
this thread shows how truly lost this board is. RIP /moo/
>>
>>111248556
I've never spoken to a dumb person that actually listens to albums. Likewise, whenever I talk to someone intelligent, and we talk about music, they often mention albums, and not just tracks.
I goddamn hate people that just shuffle playlists 24/7. No appreciation of the medium.
>>
>>111251238
An opera is a genre or style, not a medium format, retard. Is a book or a movie a genre?
>>
>>111249369
if a novel isn't created entirely of chapters that are good as stand-alone texts out of context, is the novel good?
>>
>>111248556
If you haven't listened to all 15 hours of the Ring Cycle in one sitting you are feeble minded and tasteless
>>
>>111249140
I mean people watch scenes from movies they've never watched (American Psycho, Nightcrawler even, fight club matrix you name it)
>>
>>111253345
Novels and albums aren't the same thing, anon. One tells a linear story and the other is a collection of music. There are albums that can tell stories like that but not all of them attempt to nor should they
>>
>>111253476
Even a collection of seemingly unrelated poems or short stories are assembled with some sense in mind. A good album is the same way, the songs and the track listing aren't going to be random and arbitrary unless it's some soullless megacorp produced dogshit pop
>>
>>111248879
As someone with ADD listening to albums and reading books is something I struggle with a lot. The issue is framing, if I tell myself yeah im gonna read a BOOK or listen to an ALBUM then the whole task preoccupies me.

However if I just treat it like a journey, or something unfolding actively every second it is totally different. I stop expecting or trying to think about the next lyric, or page, or whatever and focus entirely on just what im listening to every second. It's a hard mindset but something we can come to if the right person talks about it
>>
>>111253500
Yes, but those poems and short stories would still be good on their own, while a chapter of a novel might not make sense. I agree that coherence is important for an album, but not to the level of a novel
>>
>>111253621
I'm >>111248766 and when I said "book" I didn't just mean novels
>>
>>111253345
Not an apt comparison.
>>
>>111248556
Yes.
Shuffle & playlist normies don't listen to albums.
>>
>>111248556
If you really honestly call yourself a music fan or enjoyer or whatever, you've sat down and listened to the full album by whatever artist you really enjoy to form that opinion. Playlist shuffling is great for casual listening but a full album will always have its place
>>
>>111254521
but, having all your amazing music in a huge playlist (4-5k songs at least) and just shuffling and seeing what comes up is also based.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.