[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/mu/ - Music

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

My dad's birthday is coming up, and I want to surprise him by restoring his old Telecaster. It looks like pic-related, with a humbucker in the neck and a single-coil in the bridge. I was thinking of replacing the current pick ups with the Quarter Pound Tele from seymour duncan in the bridge and the Duncan Distortion in the neck. Is this a good idea or am I retarded?
>>
>>108191305
just take him out for a beer and spend time with him and leave his guitar alone you nut
>>
>>108191378
I should clarify that he gave it to me a few years back. Though I will probably end up doing this at the very least.
>>
>>108191305
>restoring
What do you mean, is the guitar broken and he wants it back?
Based on the rest of the post, seems like the guitar is fine, you just want to randomly swap the pickups.
No one can give you a real adice, I have no idea what type of music he plays nor if the guitar "needs" new pickups.
Give the guitar alone.
>>
>>108191305
Keep the originals. Always.
I don’t know how much “restoring” you’ll be making, but always keep as much of the original parts as possible.
Maybe your dad likes the sound of the original pickups. Maybe changing them will affect the overall feel of the instrument. Maybe the wiring won’t support the new pickups and you’ll have to rewired the whole think, further changing it from the stock configuration.
Keep the originals and if money isn’t a concern buy the other pair and throw it in the package. If he decides to give it a try you can switch them afterwards.
>>
>>108191408
so he gave you a guitar and you're gonna frankenstein it and give it back to him? why not just get him a newer tele instead. he gave you that guitar for a reason, so give him something else for a reason instead of the same thing
>>
>>108191465
This. Dont be a jack ass anon
>>
You could get it set up and PLEKed if you wanted to keep it the same, that would just mean all the frets are perfectly leveled, which is a good thing to have for any guitar. This usually means you can get the action lower without worrying about fretting out. Expensive though and some luthiers can do the job well by hand of course.
>>
>>108191465
This
Obviously I'm making assumptions, but what I'm feeling is op wants to make those modifications for himself. He's going to do the classic move of buying a "gift" that in reality is for himself.
Makes absolutely no sense giving back a guitar with updated pickups. The only way that this story could make sense is the guitar being totally broken, his dad gave it and now he's going to fix it and give it back. You know like fixing your father's first car or something like that.
>>
>>108191438
>Maybe the wiring won’t support the new pickups
nigger what
if he didn't switch from humbucker to single coil literally not possible
>>
>>108192960
Don’t be a retard, old wiring - modern pups sometimes don’t go well together, especially considering that the guy isn’t a professional luthier.
>>
Wouldn't be worth - you'd be spending about as much on a new set of pickups as you'd pay for the whole guitar on the used marketplace for a very slight tonal upgrade. It probably sounds great as is, I'd leave it alone and put the money elsewhere
>>
>>108192991
new wiring and old pups has never been an issue for me :)
why should the inverse be any different
ur retard
>>
>>108191305
if you can restore it w/o sacrificing anything original, than perhaps. Personally, I'd involve your dad in the process. The fact that you want to do something with him would be worth more than the lost 'surprise factor'.
>>
>>108191305
>old Telecaster
How old are we talking?
>>
>>108191305
There is a guy on Facebook called “cashified”. Send it to him
>>
>>108193334
>look at this unrelated inversion and take it as a certainty that I’m right
You can’t be real
>>
>>108191305
You wanna put a Duncan Distortion in a fucking tele?
>>
>>108191305
Why spend the money on something that will hardly make a difference? The $150-200 you spend on these meme pickups will give you nothing but a placebo.
>>
put a kahler on it 3 humbuckers, spray paint it black and fling blood splatters on it before adding clear coat. transition to a woman and give it to your dad as the new you
>>
>>108191305

I love my duncan 57 in an American strat. Way cleaner and brighter than stock pickups
>>
>>108191465
this kinda sounds like what you're doing, OP. I wouldn't do that. If he gave you a gift that means, he wants YOU to have it. Don't give it back to him all butchered and shit. We both know how bad you suck at mods/repairs/building shit.

instead:
>take your dad out for a nice dinner and some beers
>go fishing with your dad
>just go over to your dads house and drink beers and bullshit for an evening
>buy your dad a guitar that ISN'T the one he gave to you as a gift
>BUILD your dad a guitar (this is the ideal option, but i don't think you can handle measuring, cutting, gluing and sanding)
>buy a DIY guitar kit, build it and paint it and give it to your dad
>get you and your dad tickets to a game or event of some kind that he'd be interested in

buying stuff for your parents for their birthday/christmas/etc is a nice gesture, but at their age, they just wanna hang out with you and have a few laughs. Your TIME is what they desire. Go spend some TIME with them and tell them how much you love them.
>>
>>108191305
Buy him something new you subhuman
>>
>>108196588
what is different about changing old pickups in compared to new pickups?
honestly explain why its any different
>>
So, for his birthday you are going to fuck ip his favorite boomer-katana? Sounds like a fastastic idea
>>
>>108191305
bring it to a guitar technician, don't do it yourself

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.