[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/mu/ - Music

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Don't fall, anon

I know your backs against the wall
>>
Mediocre band.
>>
>>105954542
Filtered
>>
Fucking amazing band. Their debut might be the greatest post-punk album of all time.
>>
>>105954542
mediocre post
>>
>>105954542
Anon you are a shitter
>>
>>105954161
why post the ugly reissue cover and not the original?
>>
>>105956309
>>105956478
>>105956487
Cope. Literally just generic post-punk band no.60938. People only praise it so much because it became popular to like them. Most of their fans probably haven't listened to much post-punk besides them.
>>
>>105956518
which post punks do you consider to be good?
>>
>>105956545
This Heat, The Pop Group, Pere Ubu, PiL, the list goes on.
>>
>>105956545
Joy Division, Interpol and Blondie are my absolute faves. Totally better than the ethereal Chameleon
>>
>>105956566
Swell Maps >>>
>>
>>105956566
Chrome >>> anything you just posted.
>>
>>105956583
Chrome>>>
>>
>>105956598
Yes, I would agree
>>
>>105956566
>>105956572
Literally just generic post-punk bands nos.60938.-60945. People only praise them so much because it became popular to like them. Most of their fans probably haven't listened to much post-punk besides them.
you sound like an absolute mong anon
>>
>>105956692
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3FsrPEUt2Dg
Listen to this. It's actually just The Chameleons but GOOD.
>>
>>105956692
I was merely larping as the anon who trashed Chameleons. I don’t really like Blondie or Joy Division (Prefer New Order). I’m also the anon who posted >>105956594
>>105956583

Not that it matters but I’m just trolling the pretentious Post-Punk snob.
>>
>>105956739
kill yourself blondie are totally better than the chameleons.
>>
>>105956782
Blondie isn’t even Post-Punk bro. They’re practically New-Wave, not wven good New-Wave at that. Honestly you’re better off listening to The Cars or Split Enz than to listen to the flat and milk-aged production of Blondie.
>>
>>105956821
How are The Cars or fucking Split Enz better than Blondie. And they are definitely post-punk just like Suicide and Television. Since they were all from the same new york scene. By the way New Wave is basically a sub genre of post-punk so even if they were New Wave they would still be post-punk.
>>
>>105956858
>How are The Cars or Split Wnz better.

First off, the vocals and lyrics have more depth and aren’t fronted by a literal succubus. Then there’s the aspect of their songwriting being more matured. Split Enz have multiple consistently good records. I think the production doesn’t sound quite as dated as Blondie either. I find myself returning to that music more than Blondie.
>>
>>105956898
>aren’t fronted by a literal succubus
Ok chud.
>Then there’s the aspect of their songwriting being more matured
Ahh yes songs like My Best Friend's Girl and Don't Cha Stop. SoOO Mature and sophisticated.
Honestly you probably don't like them because they have a woman singer and you are just making up reasons so it seems like you aren't intolerant.
>>
>>105956929
lol
>>
>>105956929
Liz Frazier > Tina Weymouth > Souxie >>> Debbie Harry

It’s not that I hate Women. I hate women that really on sexuality to sell music. It’s obviously worked on your plebeian ass
>>
>>105956950
*rely
>>
>>105956950
She didn't rely on sexuality to sell music. At the time it was expected of women to be all proper and modest. She was going against the staus quo and providing a voice for feminism and young girls by acting how she did.
>>
>>105956782
Kill yourself normie.
>>
File: 41rtwpO9McL.jpg (19 KB, 800x450)
19 KB
19 KB JPG
>Kill yourself normie.
>>
>>105956988
So the politics of her “image” is appealing to you? Does being a slut make all feminine music empowering? Or just the ones you personally find attractive??
>>
>>105956988
She got butt naked for photoshoots
What the hell are you talking about
>>
>>105956950
>I hate women that rely on sexuality

YOU JUST LISTED SIOXUSIE SIOUX. Does anyone here have any idea what they are talking about? Have you not seen the cover to the Creatures Wild Thing EP?

Have you not seen her performances with her bare tits out?
>>
>>105957052
>left wing tranny has shit taste in music
like pottery
>>
>>105957060
>>105957061
>Does being a slut make all feminine music empowering
You wouldn't get it because you weren't around at the time. Other examples were The Slits or Siouxsie. It was punk at the time because of how people viewed as a sin and was a satanic thing to do. But they provided a way for little girls to feel comfortable about themselves and act how they wanted.
>>
>>105957102
Holy hell just stop. Siouxsie was selling sexuality almost as hard as anyone. By 1986 she wanted full blown pop star status.

Your history is way off.
>>
>>105957137
>Siouxsie was selling sexuality almost as hard as anyone. By 1986 she wanted full blown pop star status.
Incel cope.
>>
>>105957102
>you wouldn’t get it
>you weren’t around at the time

Lol okay and? Were you born before 1960? Didn’t think so, bud.

>>105957096
I listed her, but not towards the top. Also when you’ve lost an argument, a sure tell is when you completely change the focus to someone/something else. It’s a complete fallacy
>>
>>105957147
Huh?
I like Siouxsie and the Banshees
All I’m saying is youre full of shit and you don’t know your history, and trying to claim sioxusie was above that kind of Shit is preposterous
>>
>>105957154
>Were you born before 1960?
Yes I was. Sorry but not everyone on /mu/ is an ignorant zoomer like you.
>>
>>105957163
There was nothing to be above because the very act of doing what she did was against pop culture at the time. Only later when people started copying them that it entered the mainstream.
>>
>>105957170
Are you seriously Larping as a 60+ year old on 4chan? LMAO for some kind of validation?? You have some issues to soothe over
>>
>>105957193
Nah she was trying to sell records.
>>
>>105957200
He has a couple hours to kill before IHOP opens up for senior breakfast
>>
>>105957200
Sorry. I am sure you are too new here to realise this but plenty of old folks like us browse this board. You just don't seem to realise it cause your mind has been clogged up by all the toxic stuff you zoomers consume everyday.
>>
>>105957224
Read>>105957222
>>
>>105957224
>toxic stuff you zoomers consume
>makes half-assed case that Debbie Harry’s music was good because of her politics and image.
>ignores the fact that she used her sexual promiscuity to sell records

Do you enjoy going back to square one?
>>
File: Joy_Division_Closer.jpg (11 KB, 316x316)
11 KB
11 KB JPG
>>105954542
Correct
>>105954542
>>105956309
>>105956478
Listen to actual post punk faggots. Chameleons are at best slightly broody jangle pop
>>
>>105957278
>>makes half-assed case that Debbie Harry’s music was good because of her politics and image.
>>ignores the fact that she used her sexual promiscuity to sell records
Nice straw man. It was made pretty obvious that her music is good regardless of the politics. But there was nothing wrong with her acting how she did either because that was also empowering.
>>
>>105957338
I would argue that her sexual promiscuity masks a pretty generic blend of typical New-Wave songwriting tropes. Nothing about their music transcends. The only case you’ve made is her image.

At least the Chameleons wrote songs that alluded to a deep sense of psychosis, pain and beauty. The production is top notch and dreamy (same cannot be said about Blondie).
>>
>>105957362
>I would argue that her sexual promiscuity masks a pretty generic blend of typical New-Wave songwriting tropes.
Not the anon that you were arguing with, but what the fuck does this mean? How does her sexual image that helped the band promote records obfuscate her music? If anything, it did its job by diffusing that music to more people who otherwise would not have noticed. Blondie is also just straight up one of the best examples of New Wave, so handwaving that as tropes is pretty disingenuous as they wouldn't have been tropes with bands like Blondie making them tropes in the first place.

Kinda sounds like you're a manipulator anon.
>>
>>105957392
without* bands like...

Also
>At least the Chameleons wrote songs that alluded to a deep sense of psychosis, pain and beauty. The production is top notch and dreamy (same cannot be said about Blondie).

You're criticizing one band for picking a style of music that's not to your taste, that's literally it. Production being "top notch" isn't even accurate, they were a pretty lo-fi band until Strange Times when they could afford a not shit producer.
>>
>>105957392
>shared my opinion
>get called a manipulator

So we gonna call people names now? The 60 year old anon already told me to kill myself. I haven’t said or stated anything that I don’t truly feel. I don’t like Blondie. I have reasons. If you think Blondie was “the standard for all New-Wave” then I can understand (I guess) why you’d think that, but I truly prefer The Cars and Split Enz like I’ve said earlier in the thread. If you don’t like my opinion, tough. Deal with it.
>>
>>105957392
>”Blondie is just straight up one of the best examples of New-Wave”
>Provides no logical reasoning behind this conclusion

Who is manipulative again?
>>
>>105957457
You really let that offhand comment derail your argument this hard? Get some thicker skin, zoomer.
>If you don’t like my opinion, tough. Deal with it.
Could start by not getting triggered at what random anons throw out on the internet. Also listen to more music.
>>
>>105957509
But it sounds like you were triggered by my opinion, anon. I’m not triggered by your opinion, I’m just intelligent enough to explain myself and not resorting to making baseless, blanket statements. Obviously I was convincing enough in order for you to call me “manipulative”.
>>
>>105957495
How is that manipulation? At worst you just disagree about Blondie being good, which is fine. It is a fact that Blondie were one of the most prominent bands on the scene, and saying that they engaged in tropes is odd because they helped establish those tropes in the first place.
>>
>>105957539
I called you a manipulator, as in a male manipulator, and looking back through the argument you had with grandpa it looks like I was right
>It’s not that I hate Women. I hate women that really on sexuality to sell music.
>>
>>105957541
I’m fine with disagreements. I would just urge you not to call people manipulative in the midst of an actual discussion. Just kinda sounds overly defensive and over sensitive.

To be more specific, I prefer the Eno-Talking Heads stuff more. Cultured in African polyrhythms, as well as snythesizers of the period. That’s peak CBGS for me. And Television was superior as well in my opinion because of the absolutely god-teir guitar work and passionate vocal performances. I guess in general, I just find that Blondie’s music doesn’t affect me at all like those groups have.
>>
>>105957562
I’ll stand by that statement. Hate is a strong word, so I’ll say I strongly dislike when females use their sexuality as a tactic to sell their music. I don’t like when men do it either. Does that really make me a bad guy lmao
>>
>>105957661
Also adding to this, I never said this is why I dislike Blondies music. I dislike it because it fucking bores me.
>>
File: siouxsie.png (89 KB, 499x343)
89 KB
89 KB PNG
>>105957630
see>>105957562

That other anon is fucking right by the way. Siouxsie Sioux absolutely used her sexuality to sell her music. And it's not just women, men do it all the time too. That's partially why Arctic Monkeys have a fanbase that's like 80% white women, because that's who Alex Turner is trying to appeal to.
>I just find that Blondie’s music doesn’t affect me at all like those groups have.
That's nice anon, now explain why her using her sexuality to sell music is a bad thing.
>>
>>105957661
>Does that really make me a bad guy lmao
It makes you a male manipulator, and also a very obviously uneducated zoomer larping as if they understand what New Wave is
>>
>>105957700
I don’t like Souxie either lmao, I just think her music is better than Blondies. You’re the one who put words on my mouth. Did I ever say she didn’t use sexuality to sell? Read back. Double check. Because you’re wrong. But of course, you already know this.
>>
>>105957714
>Zoomer

Im 25. Again with the assumptions? Anon, you’ve got issues with putting words into peoples mouths. Sounds manipulative to me, anon!
>>
File: 1593520160491.jpg (13 KB, 255x215)
13 KB
13 KB JPG
>>105954161
The Chameleons are just U2 for hipsters
>>
>>105958109
Touhou is just space alien for weebs.
>>
File: malemanipulatormusic.jpg (86 KB, 790x395)
86 KB
86 KB JPG
>>105957780
>25
You were naïve enough to think 60 year olds don't post here. If you're not a genuine zoomer who would understandably not know as much as others here about new wave, then you're just an uncultured dumbass.
>>105957764
That's cool, now explain why using sexuality to sell music is a bad thing you piece of male mainpulator zoomer filth
>>
>>105958262
>genuine zoomer
>uncultured dumbass
>zoomer filth

This is how 14 year old incels speak.

In regards to your question, it’s quite disingenuous to promote your music in that manner. Plenty of (more talented) bands don’t need to resort to such antics to sell music. It’s not necessarily “harmful”, however it’s the exploitation of Debby Harry as a sexual icon which ultimately leads to young women feeling like “this is what I need to do to sell records”. It gives music as a medium of art, a bad rep. Unless of course the music delves deeply into femininity, sexuality and the body. Which most of the time, is not the case.
>>
>>105957562
take your twitter insults back to the aforementioned and reddit, retard
>>
What the fuck is this thread
I was expecting actual music discussion
>>
>>105958687
Lies.
>>
>>105958438
>Plenty of (more talented) bands don’t need to resort to such antics to sell music
So your problem is, all else equal, bands that use their sexuality to sell music are popular for a reason extraneous to the music. That's cool, but popularity and sales don't equate to quality, so why is it bad for a very talented band- say one you find to be more talented than Blondie- to resort to such tactics? It doesn't actually affect the quality of the music after all, just its diffusion.
>It gives music as a medium of art, a bad rep
Lmao what? What's immoral or unartistic about sexuality? And again, what does that have to do with the music at all?

For fuck's sake, people fawn over Picasso's paintings partially because of their sexual inspiration, and as many people in the thread have stated, Debbie Harry (and others) using their sexuality to promote their rock icon status is literally what men have been doing in rock and roll since its inception, and it only gets called out as immoral or disingenuous because of moral conservatives who don't want to see women being promiscuous as it makes them feel insecure. It manages to not only sell the music, but it's the logical step for rock music to take after the sexual forwardness barrier was broken decades earlier by male artists. Especially based for women to do that in the increasingly socially conservative late 1970s and into the 1980s.
>>
>>105959630
>so your problem is

…aaaand I don’t talk to people like you. Goodbye!
>>
>>105959706
That's cool, enjoy listening to a genre whose foundation rests on sexual liberation and freedom. I can't judge that some people are only turned on by men after all.
>>
File: 564327832256743.png (1016 KB, 886x1108)
1016 KB
1016 KB PNG
>Mediocre band
>>
>>105959772
says the obvious homo
>>
>>105959772
No need! I have MPB. Enjoy your bland and uninspiring new-wave trash with predictable pop-rock songwriting tropes!
>>
File: 40f.gif (100 KB, 680x554)
100 KB
100 KB GIF
>>Mediocre band
>>
>>105954542
>Mediocre band.
Maybe, but the album is outstanding.
>>
>>105959959
Strange Times is better
>>
>>105958687
>I was expecting actual music discussion
lol
>>
>>>mediocre band

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.