[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/mu/ - Music

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

>losing motivation to finish my album
>>
unironically what’s the point? I’m spending so much money on it and it’s just going to rot on bandcamp.
a guy in my town is pretty connected in the “indie” industry and got his shit featured on NPR, bandcamp, and even put on an official Spotify playlist. he skyrocketed to 14K monthly listeners in like three or four days. this was back in February. as of today he has 215. TWO HUNDRED FIFTEEN. no one fucking cares about any of this shit anymore, your image and your fucking Twitter presence matter 100x more than any of your songs. It’s over. I’m wasting my time. But I cannot risk waking up one morning and suddenly I’m 50 years old with no album to my name. I just can’t
>>
>>104898359
Thats how the game goes nowadays I hate social media but I know I will be forced to use it if I create anything and hope to make money off of it. We have no other choice. Before it was just hoping you got on the radio and got to play shows.
>>
>>104898359
What’s his Spotify name Im curious now
>>
>>104898359
Lol imagine caring about plays and not actually about making music
>>
>>104898384
In a way I’m being a spoiled bitch. I can probably reach more people in 2021 than I ever would have in 2011. But holy fuck the amount of dogshit music out there is unreal and expecting people to sift through it all just to find your album is totally delusional. You look at normiegram and it’s filled to the brim with thousands of 1K follower artists that make god awful music.

I don’t even want to make money I just want a decent following of people who dig what I’m doing. That’s literally all I want and I have no clue how to do it at all

>>104898395
I can’t dox him like that this stuff always comes back around. It’s not very good music to be fair, there was no reason for him to be shilled that hard on all those services I’m just pointing out how nepotistic it is and even then no one cares so we’re doubly fucked

>>104898419
I don’t want to make music for myself, I want the connection to another human being who is being moved in some way by my art, that’s where it’s at for me
>>
>>104898513
The early 2010s were the best time to be a musician on the internet. Especially with acts like odd future and the whole new generation of rap on the come up. There wasnt a sea of shit to deal with and things were easier to find.

Also if you want any type of following you have to really stand out. Maybe even make a music video.
>>
>>104898592
Yeah there’s this whole other side beyond just making a good record. Your image has to immediately grab the attention of a potential listener. It can’t be just diy bullshit you have to invest heavily into creating some fucking persona. It’s not enough to simply drop great music into the internet and let the music heads do the rest. That was very much possible in 2010.
>>
Mine took me seven years. By the time I was finally making myself finish it I so unmotivated that it was painful recording and writing the final touches, which is unfortunate because your music can really suffer from lacking inspiration... but hey, at least it's a complete product that people can hear. You can always revisit it later. Music is hard to make. You have to really make yourself care.
>>
>>104898513
>I want the connection to another human being who is being moved in some way by my art
Well release it and promote it then. If it's good, people will catch on early on
>>
>>104898736
Thanks anon for the wisdom, feel free to link your music I’d love to hear it

>>104898749
Am I wrong to think that no one will care even if it’s “objectively” really good? That’s my fear desu. If it’s actually shit and people just think it’s shit that would hurt a lot less than people straight up ignoring the fact that it’s good because I don’t have some image or social media presence
>>
>>104898851
You're not wrong to care but i honestly just dont get your perspective. If you release it and promote it (fuck, even just posting in the shillthreads here is something), someone will listen to it and like it if it's good.
I dunno tho, having a hard time relating to this cause i make music cause need that self expression valve and only post it online so i have a cohesive library of all my stuff. Having people listen to it is just extra.
But you do you.
Hope you release it soon.
>>
>>104898851
>Thanks anon for the wisdom, feel free to link your music I’d love to hear it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSLWcU4x6b8
This is the album I was referring to that took seven years. However, I also wrote two other albums and two EPs in that time, mostly because this one was so difficult for me to complete. It's still only in its "demo" form.
>>
>>104898909
>850 plays
>2 years
Lol
>>
>>104898951
Yeah well... I'm doing ok on Spotify
https://open.spotify.com/artist/0IAtkRjue2NFeHo2ypBi7a?si=azBreZNaSSCyfzr7AQbqSA&dl_branch=1
>>
>>104898893
It’s hard to explain. It’s like i have this great fear of going undiscovered. I can live with simply not being that talented if that’s what it comes down to. Like if everyone agrees that my music sucks then it probably sucks. But the problem is I hear certain big indie artists and I’m like “my album seems better than this but what if no one cares because I’m introverted and hate social media” and it’s a really deflating feeling. Or this idea that no one really cares about the music itself. It’s a unique fear, it’s not a fear of failure it’s more of a worry about our era’s total indifference to quality art if there’s not a meme persona or image attached to it. It’s a paranoia. I know it’s not really how shit is but it feels like it massively these days when I browse Spotify playlists and music boards looking for new shit.

>>104898909
>>104898977
Nice man. I’d be thrilled with 37K plays on a song. You have a solid voice, keep putting in work.
>>
>>104899208
>Nice man. I’d be thrilled with 37K plays on a song. You have a solid voice, keep putting in work.
Thanks man. Look forward to hearing your album
>>
>>104898359
>indie
>in current year
If you don't see how that's part of the problem...
If it's not GOOD good then well no shit people dropped off

Other big thing is you have to release *something* at least every 6 months.

>>104898690
This except the last sentence
>>
>>104899208
Ah so you're just very egotistical.
I mean in order to make music you kind of have to be but you're even more fucked
>>
Add nazism and metal elements then shill it in /metal/. They'll jizz over it
Instant fanbase
>>
post it here and ill at least review it and listen to it
>>
>>104899242
>Other big thing is you have to release *something* at least every 6 months.
This is a good point. My plan is an album every 3 years with singles in between every 5-6 months. The singles will be more experimental where I’m trying different shit out, the albums will be focused.
>>
>>104898326
Just post it unfinished. That’s what I do. None of it matters as long as you want to keep creating. Post unfinished and come back later.
>>
>>104898359
>But I cannot risk waking up one morning and suddenly I’m 50 years old with no album to my name. I just can’t
This. It’s important to complete and publish your art, even if it’s simply for your own peace of mind.
>>
>>104898513
>I don’t want to make music for myself
Then you're fucking retarded. Unironically NGMI.
>>
>>104898951 <---- Insecure.
>>
I worked on an album from I was like 18 until 26 and it turned out fucking shit because I kept getting hung up on the details, made a new one in 2 months that turned out great
>>
File: 1622322243813.jpg (98 KB, 680x509)
98 KB
98 KB JPG
>>104898359
215 and 14k are still good numbers?

whats your gaff? if hes well connected he prolly doesn't need to rely on streaming income and just didn't have any follow up
>>
>>104900744
That’s comforting. I can’t wait to publish the stuff I’ve been working on for years. Then it’s a fresh slate I can focus on writing new songs.
>but what if I don’t have any creativity left
>what if I shot my wad on a poorly produced bedroom-recorded album
>what if I’m laughed out of the /shill/ threads
>what if everyone thinks it’s shit
>>
>>104900744
similar boat, it's kind of like the overthinking was necessary to build the skills and be able to do this stuff in the first place but it becomes a detriment once you're actually trying to pull the trigger
>>
>>104900808
Jesus fuck you're a bitch
>>
>>104898359
>bandcamp
lol
>>
File: ohshi.png (219 KB, 400x400)
219 KB
219 KB PNG
>>104898359
everybody's got big fuckin dreams until they realize that the simple act of not becoming another homeless crackhead/alcoholic and managing to accrue a sizeable amount of capital is a fuckton more than a lot of people can do. make the thing you want to make and see it through to the end, but don't concern yourself with success. that shit is beyond the likes of you and i, the best people like us can get is to avoid the worst.
>>
>>104900808
Please if you ever release it and decide to shill it in the threads, mention that you made this thread so i can listen to it and tell you it's shit.
What a fucking pussy god fuck
>>
>>104898359
That shit sucks. The model now demands to be creating media constantly so is better to release each song individually instead of the whole álbum.
>>
>>104900578
>Then you're fucking retarded. Unironically NGMI.
Anyone who boastfully wants to sit in their room and make music that no one else ever hears should be shot
>>
>>104900855
>make the thing you want to make and see it through to the end, but don't concern yourself with success. that shit is beyond the likes of you and i, the best people like us can get is to avoid the worst.
checked and based
>>
>>104901943
Emotionless retard
>>
>>104898359

isn't that so funny?
i have no answers for you. my band played a couple shows and busked to promote a couple singles and we got... 0 follows from people we didn't know, and right now we have 2-3 listeners per week in lockdown. my classmate from high school played way more shows for 2 years, his band? same situation

my assumption is that it's especially bad in australia where there's scene or musical gravity... but i feel like living in nashville or austin would make me realise how untalented i am in the grand scheme of things

and that's kinda what i wanted to reflect on with you
i'm not sure if i've ever heard music that was truly transcendent and had like 20 streams. like i don't think a small label would have a hard time promoting the blue album, y'know? maybe heart shaped box would flop with its 2013 mix, but that's because the mix sucks and that's the product

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8vZxDNC9EQs

but yeah as much as it hurts to say, i don't think anything i've released publicly is worth "blowing up" over, but i could only really tell after release. peace of mind, like the anon said

you're talking about losing money -- i had the same problem because i spent so much studio time on my first single. my upcoming single i just used fiverr drums and fiverr reamps. i'm at a point where i can record a major label-sounding song for ~$240 USD, and that's because i'm a pretty good rock producer now. and also mixer

what does this all add up to? not much really. even my next single, i'm doubtful people will latch onto it. but it's hard to know for sure whether something's transcendent unless you've fleshed the idea out fully and given it the production/mix it deserves

but ya i'm never gonna be sour grapes about making mediocre or slightly above average music, and not being able to make a living from it. i'll be pissed if i make something truly transcendent and it makes no money... but i'll cross that bridge when we come to it. good luck senpai
>>
>>104898326
What if you called it FINISHED right now? Like, just call it good as is :)
>>
>>104898326
why should anyone care about your art. the state of the industry is inevitable due to how far society has built up these hallowed mega rockstars. its all a joke. your art is a joke, your music sucks, you have no talent, fuck off back to your shithole gas station job in bumfuck middle america kansas and be done with it
>>
>>104903820
>>
what kind of music are you making? who is the intended audience? what is the message? are you antagonizing anyone?
>>
>>104898909
was this made in 2012? folk is dead, none of these are exciting it’s an album of b side ballads
make bangers
>>
>>104900578
At least he's honest. Go watch Whiplash.
>>
>>104905327
>was this made in 2012
Yes, the vast majority of it was written 2011-2013. I just didn’t add the final touches ‘til December 2018. Also, claiming some genre (folk especially) is “dead” is just shortsighted. So many people add my music to their Spotify playlists because a lot of people still like that stuff. I’m on 1,400 playlists so far and getting added to the videos of a pretty prominent youtube channel. That album is shared is probably the most polarizing one in terms of sheer content, but you could always try digesting it again later. Sometimes it’s great, sometimes it’s ok, sometimes I don’t care for any of it. I guess that’s just how music goes.
>>
>>104905455
How do you advertise your music anon?
>>
>>104898326
just release it and call it a concept album based on laziness, motivation, the temporary nature of life, getting old (kinda goes with the previous one), or some other vague concept
>>
>>104905455
well folk peaked with the indie twee shit but frankly it hasn’t transferred to the zoomers, it was mainly millennial hippie girls and their orbiters that funded the entire genre
i’ve always had a distaste for folk desu so i’m biased here, but in terms of an albums commercial appeal, i think you made it particularly difficult for yourself by choosing to make a folk album, especially a late release. by 2018 the main folk demographic was pregnant or married or, occasionally, both
i think if you went in a more 2020 pop direction with clairo/billie/grande production influences you’d had an easier time getting traction
the issue is folk isn’t dance music, and if i can’t dance to the music, why am i paying for a ticket?
that’s where i think the initial followers are supposed to come from, your actual shows where $5 gets you a night of dancing
if you think about it not many people are looking for a heart to heart with the guitarist, they want to get drunk and forget
>>
>>104905559
I started with soundcloud mostly. They used to have a thing called "groups" where artists could share their music to each other in their respective genres. That gave me a lot of traction. Soundcloud took those down for some reason, which sucks, but I came extremely fortunate when a youtube channel found me on soundcloud wanting to use my music since it was free and all, and I was nobody. Now that channel is essentially the cause of most of my current success, like on spotify. I've also advertised on /mu/ quite a few times. Had a couple meme threads that got me some attention.
>>
>>104905587
People and music listeners aren't so monolithic. People like Ben Howard, Hozier, Bon Iver, Sufjan Stevens etc. still get a lot of traction and I could easily slide into that realm of art. But it's kind of a moot point because I have a lot of songs ranging from a varied range of styles. I could choose to curate a more upbeat setlist if I wanted, the potential is endless. I have always kept an emphasis on rhythm to the point where people could just vibe out to a lot of my stuff (and I'd like to have a group of musicians with me to push that potential even further). Naturally, I've gotten added to a lot of playlists like "sailing" or "chill" or "when I'm alone," which I don't mind, because people are always going to gravitate toward various styles to fit various moods. All that being said, I've written a lot more music after this album and there are more dancy tracks, and more pop like tracks, and more rock/alt type tracks. I truly run the gamut of brilliance. And then the latest album I'm working on still draws from folk roots sort of but it's more epic pop songs. The intention does become more of putting the listener into some kind of trance, while also saying important things, instead of just talking to everybody one on one. Regardless, I'm not exactly trying to take the Billie Eilish route, but I could probably open for her right now with little issue.
>>
Five years ago I tried making music to become famous, yes.
It was dog shit and I gave up on music as a result.
Then I matured a bit, did some proper research into how to do it better, spent a bit of cash investing in kit, now I am having a ball redoing all of it, just for me.
I don't have a soundcloud or any other social media, and I have never been happier.
>>
>>104906638
I genuinely do not understand this mentality. It is alien to me. None of it matters to me at all if other people don’t hear it. I mean you just have no feedback whatsoever and no way to improve or measure yourself as an artist.
>>
>>104907900
What a moron jesus fuck
>>
>>104908000
keep seething you no-talent loser
you unironically won’t promote your music because it sucks dick and rather than face the facts like a man you hide behind muh doing it for myself like a pussy. pathetic
>>
>>104898326
take a little time off, come back refreshed and it'll be easy
>>
bump
>>
File: flourishing.jpg (675 KB, 828x791)
675 KB
675 KB JPG
>>104901943
dumb
I do it because I enjoy it. I don't need attention or approval from others
>>
bump
>>
>>104910567
Think of where music would be if it was just autists in their fucking bedrooms making music for themselves. Bach Beethoven etc knew that music was quite useless without listeners. Somewhere along the line of home recording tech a bunch of no-talent cucks decided it was somehow noble to masturbate on DAWs all day. It’s like painting for years and then throwing the paintings in a room and locking them away. Total waste of time with zero effect on the world or even your locality. No different from smoking weed and playing vidya all day
>>
>>104898326
you make it for yourself.
>>
>>104908082
I wasnt that guy you replied to at first. I have my music online. I still make it for myself only. People listening is just a consequence of it being online
>>
>>104898419
this, change your mindset or your ngmi anon
make music, if it gets you a million streams great! if it barely gets you 50, also great!
>>
File: 1495097215137.png (275 KB, 635x471)
275 KB
275 KB PNG
>>104898326
What stage are you in?

Songwriting?
Arranging?
Tracking?
Editing?
Mixing?
Mastering?
>>
bumb
>>
>>104916850
Why? This threads a joke. Op is a moron
>>
>>104916888
dude just trust me
>>
>>104898359
you didn't even mention wether his shit was good or not m8
>>
>>104917471
He says down below that it wasnt really that good
>>
>>104915259
Editing, comping, and tracking vocals
An album can be a massive undertaking if you want to do it in a pro way. Makes me respect the great albums that much more. I basically take my demos to my producer and a drummer and we sit there for hours and improve upon what I’ve done. It’s extremely satisfying to see the songs “level up.” Then we track all the instruments, then we go back over the songs and see what we can embellish or add or subtract, then I track the vocals, then we have to comp everything. It’s insane the amount of work we’re doing when other people just loop some drum beats and fuck around on a synth VST.
>>
>>104917824
You really think you're special and better than everyone else haha
Fucking moron
>>
>>104917860
I’m better than almost all of you guys desu
>>
>>104917869
Why the shit are you so scared about flopping you idiot
>>
these dudes have THIRTEEN LISTENERS A MONTH on Spotify and listen to how insanely good they are at their instruments and how well crafted all the pop shit going on is. yeah it’s derivative as fuck but you would think out of the entire god damn internet they could have a couple hundred fans.

https://youtu.be/mSJMTPFAS5E
>>
File: 5fuy24.gif (2.88 MB, 360x202)
2.88 MB
2.88 MB GIF
>>104917869

im this guy >>104903714

please share 1 finished track, or the closest you have to something finished, i wanna hear

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ma0xEY00i-E

this is mine. i would like to have a frame of reference of your work when i think about you

i think you're a step ahead of most people in that you identify that you don't make music for just yourself. and i think that playing an instrument is also a step up. but i'm a bit confused about how you feel you're sitting on something so supposedly good which makes your plight about finishing and releasing it so unique

like, you make it sound like you're sitting on the blue album -- and if that's the case i would like to hear it just so i can experience ego death and quit music

but there's another part of me that thinks that you're trying to forget about traditional singer-songwriters like me that still exist, and then just focus on the non-instrumental musicians that dick around on DAWs because it gives you a false sense of superiority

i think the reality is that my work and your work so far is probably not that great, and maybe we'll make something truly transcendent someday, but most great musicians are making consistently transcendent albums for years at a time. and they're probably making a decent living by the time they're 35-40, like caroline polachek/molly rankin

who do you want to be? beabadadoobee or something? because i feel like there's plenty of artists that gain traction over years of being consistently good, and you're kinda talking about a situation where instead of that, you just shoot straight to the top by making 1 album that probably isn't that good in the grand scheme of things? which is understandable cos we both have an old industry mindset... but again, i wanna hear the material first
>>
>>104918198
Nice blogpost faggot
Guitar music is dead. You will never reach anything.
>>
>>104918245
eh i blame the musicians, we just need to work harder. i don't support the OP's woe-is-me mentality and i don't support your anti-intellectual bullshit

post music or fuck off
>>
>>104918245
Yeah man
>>
>>104898326
I feel ya bro, but I recently got re-motivated by wanting to get revenge on my ex who is the daughter of a sorta famous indie band. Back when we were dating though even she told me that breaking out in the industry was so hard that her parents told her it would be a crapshoot and she decided to pursue another art.
>>
>>104918276
No matter how good your music is, there will still be a random ass dj pressing play on his 2015 house mix in a dilapidated building somewhere who will be more famous that your 'band'.
And you're here shilling fucking alt rock bullshit and getting your cock hard cause you're the 'true artist' fucking kek
>>
File: 1625610695140.jpg (329 KB, 1600x901)
329 KB
329 KB JPG
>>104918367
>>104918316
mental midgets when faced with "post music or fuck off" bahahaha

no stress, i'll keep trying to make stuff that's truly good, and maybe someday succeed, and you guys can keep crying about how DJs making less than minimum wage from music somehow stops you from creating lmao. you guys must really like music
>>
>>104918489
Lol who gave you the idea that i didnt make music?
I do and i do it cause its fun. Not cause i want to be known or whatever. I already have a job i love so success could just be a side product of my music making. Not bothered by it really
>>
>>104918198
Not bad at all anon for what it is. Respect for posting. You have raw talent + a classically good pop rock voice but your sound feels kinda disconnected from modernity. Nothing inherently wrong with that but I’d suggest lurking here and really listening to more stuff, like really try to step out of the pop rock box unless you feel like you were put on this planet to make that stuff and it gives you more joy than anything in the world.
I wouldn’t say that if I thought you were shit. But it’s like the equivalent of being a good bebop jazz saxophone player in 2021, that’s cool but what is your art communicating in this era? think about your sound and your decision making. For example the record scratches in the beginning, why? What was the thought process and what do you think it communicates to a listener? The MBV distorted guitars, why that exact tone? You want to start sculpting your own identity and figuring out how to stand out from a sea of folks making music like that.

I’m too wary of this board’s reputation among gatekeeper indie types to post music here after saying all the shit I’ve said itt, but if I were to post my music you’d instantly say “wow this sounds like it’s own thing.” You might not like it per se but it would sound fresh and original and well thought out
>>
>>104918590
Ok you say it's fresh. I could believe it if i heard it. Post it
>>
>>104899278
This, just make /pol/rock
>>
>>104918714
Ok here’s a rough demo that didn’t make the cut for the album, or the B sides, or the future streaming singles that are just designed to throw something out there every few months while I’d hypothetically be working on another album. Basically the people itt are the only ones who will ever hear it kek

https://vocaroo.com/1cVz8E2bWyGE
>>
>>104918850
Sounds brety gud man
>>
>>104918850
this shit is pretty dope, damn
>>
>>104898326
Fucking finish it man, I'm rooting for you. Just putting your shit out there is enough.
>>
>>104918850
nah you should at least record that properly and put it on streaming services, it’s a potential banger. also post your album here when you release it faggot. just do the work and quit bitching and crying.
>>
>>104918367
Youre retarded

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.