[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/mu/ - Music

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: ledzp.jpg (48 KB, 385x385)
48 KB
48 KB JPG
>countries that matter to music
US
UK
>countries that don't
The rest
>>
>>102804067
Wrong
>>
>>102804067
but muh fishmans
>>
>>102805667
Scandinavians? They can make good music, but they're not important to it. All of their music is derivative of genres started in the US or UK.
>>
>>102804067
you dare say this on the board that gets flooded with kpop threads
>>
>>102805878
Korean pop is not a distinct genre, it's pop from Korea. Pop was created in the US and UK.

>Pop is a genre of popular music that originated in its modern form during the mid-1950s in the United States and the United Kingdom.[4] The terms popular music and pop music are often used interchangeably, although the former describes all music that is popular and includes many disparate styles. During the 1950s and 1960s, pop music encompassed rock and roll and the youth-oriented styles it influenced. Rock and pop remained roughly synonymous until the late 1960s, after which pop became associated with music that was more commercial, ephemeral, and accessible.
>Although much of the music that appears on record charts is seen as pop music, the genre is distinguished from chart music. Identifying factors usually include repeated choruses and hooks, short to medium-length songs written in a basic format (often the verse-chorus structure), and rhythms or tempos that can be easily danced to. Much pop music also borrows elements from other styles such as rock, urban, dance, Latin, and country.
>>
>>102804067
I thought that album cover was a bbc for a second, god I need to get off this site
>>
>>102804067
>no France and Germany
>>
File: a.jpg (158 KB, 1300x1361)
158 KB
158 KB JPG
>>102804067
>countries that matter to music
unironically
>>
>>102805743
Lurk more
>>
>>102806282
Wasn't Cobains sweater from there?
>>
>>102806234
smth is wrong with u homie
>>
>>102806274
Yes
>>
>>102804067
>no germany
Clearly you don't listen to a lot of industrial
>>
>>102806282
bonga slaps
>>
>>102806234
Looks like your life has gone over like a [spoiler]steel dirigible[/spoiler]
>>
>>102806234
HA
GAYYYYY
>>
and the ska and reggae the UK loves originated in the UK?
>>
>>102807997
Reggae is...unimportant to music.
>>
>what is classical
>>
US and UK have produced great music but personally I think you are very ignorant for not listening to music from other countries.

I personally love Slavic music (Ukrainian, Russian, Serbian, Polish). The people there are super creative and soulful, right on the same level as American and British artists.

What about Australians? Nick Cave's Birthday or The Church. Both were fantastic bands and super radical and one of a kind. I feel like their music matters, at least for me. Although I am not a big fan, AC/DC is one of the biggest Rock bands of all time, bigger than Hendrix, TRS and Cream in terms of recognizability.

What about Germany? The Krautrock scene produced great radical artists such as CAN and Cluster. They were important and influential on British music, imagine Eno's late 70's work or Bowie's without Harmonia or CAN, Impossible. Speaking of popular music. Germany played a bigger role in Metal than the USA. Power Metal and Traditional Heavy Metal wouldn't be what it is without groups like Scorpions, Gravestone and Helloween. Even Thrash Metal got its heaviness peak in Germany (Sodom, Kreator). And let us not forget about Electronic music, the most important genre of the last 30 years. It would have been nothing without Germany's Berlin School, Kraftwerk and Soviet film scores for Tarkovsky films. Bach, Wagner, Schoenberg. Classical would not be what it is without Germany.
>>
>>102808928
bait thread
>>
>>102810641
Continuing

Russia is another important country. Without Stravinsky and Scriabin we would not have modern music that we know. Vertinskiy (technically Ukrainian but if we believe the idea of Kiev-Rus then it flies) influenced Pop and Rock music in my opinion. His mix of political yet catchy music (and no trace of Negro blues cause Russian empire was not involved in the slave trade) would play a role in Bard music of Eastern Europe and the McCartney produced "These Were The Days" classic hit. Although most modern Russian music went unnoticed (due to the Red Scare and Soviet oppression). There were so many hidden gems that I feel like it is a crime against music these artists don't get their moments of praise. Zvuki Mu continued and expanded upon on Beefheart's ideas in a modern context, Auktyon made a completely their own style of Russian Folk influenced Prog, and Akvarium's Radio Africa did the concept of Songs For The Deaf like 30 years earlier. Or Nautilius's Pompilius's song "Kto Ya" which was basically Radiohead's "Fitter Happier" but done in 1985 rather than 1997. Egor Letov practically invented Emo together with his Siberian Punk friends. Oh and let us not forget Eduard Artymev, Stalker and Solaris film scores are some of the most unique and hypnotizing film scores of the 1970's. Americans and British films always relied more on soundtracks (Easy Rider, Pulp Fiction, Clueless) rather than have great original film scores.

Ennio Morricone (Italian), Eduard Artymev (Russian), Vangelis (Greek). The three most legendary and unique composers did not come from neither the UK nor USA.
>but John Williams
he blatantly ripped off Gustav Holst and Russia's Igor Stravinsky while the three composers I showed made something very new, not just taking copy right free classical music and slightly modifying it.
>>
>>102810641
>>102810837
Obviously some countries are way too small to produce so many artists and bands like the USA. However Iceland, for such a small country, it is managed to give us the beloved Bjork, who is probably (in retrospect) the most important female artist of the 90's as well as the most popular Post-Rock band Sigur Ros. Love them or hate them but Sigur Ros comes to most people's mind when talking about Post-Rock or 00's Alternative music. Even American's Simpsons gave them an appearance (not Mogwai or Talk Talk)

Mostly I think the discussion boils down to the government and cultural perception of a nation in the world. When people think of Romania they usually only think about Ligeti. Why is that? It's because American director Stanley Kubrick decided to use his music in one of his films. Had Kubrick not done that most Classical "connoisseur" would dismiss Ligeti as a some Romanian gypsy trying to play Western man music. But, the American man gave a seal of approval and now he is known and beloved.
The government didn't do much to help out, constant censorship and bad creative environments doesn't kill the music, but it kills the music's prospect of breaking out to other nations.

Phoenix (great Romanian Prog band) and Rodion G.A. (weird group that played completely their own style and practically created Minimal Synth) would have become staples of their respected genres had they only been doing their music in a different nation, where an artist can prosper (like the UK). The rest of the world doesn't care about the music of this nation, the government isn't helping. The chances of this music breaking out into the ignorant American's stereo is quite low.

Ok I am done with my autistic post.
>>
>>102808999
A musical tradition in which the UK and the US are all but irrelevant.
>>
>>102810991
there would be no sigur ros without talk talk. shut your mouth you idiot
>>
>>102804067
based
>>
>>102804067
yes except france for some reason has a monopoly on synth
>>
idk, czeck rock is pretty good
>>
>>102804067
idk indian classical slaps hard
>>
>>102804067
Scandinavia tho
>>
>>102811154
I am not talking about who would be there without who, I was talking that Sigur Ros matter to people on average more because they are a bigger band. Don't get your panties in a twist.
>>
File: seefood.png (295 KB, 356x512)
295 KB
295 KB PNG
>>102811722
See>>102805743
>>
bumping for the shitstorm
>>
>>102808999
The soundtrack to Fantasia.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.