[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/mu/ - Music

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Chaconne Edition
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KgSKvOAJMb8

This thread is for the discussion of music in the Western classical tradition, as well as classical instrument-playing.

>How do I into classical?
This link has resources including audio courses, textbooks and selections of recordings to help you start to understand and appreciate classical music:
https://pastebin.com/NBEp2VFh

Previous: >>102775788
>>
How do I not lose motivation when practicing a piece for months? I love Pathetique mvt. 1, but practicing it everyday is getting really stale
>>
>>102786445
If it takes you too long, the piece is probably too hard for you. What takes so long in these cases is that you are not merely dealing with memorizing (mentally and physically) but probably learning the necessary techniques from scratch.
As a rule of thumb, if a piece takes you longer than your motivation lasts, then you should take on simpler pieces first, ideally some that could prepare you for the hard one to which you can then return later. Of course, it's not bad to have a piece way above your level to give you guidance and test out your acquired skill but don't sacrifice all your practice time for it.
>>
>>102785842
I've been self teaching myself keyboard since September 2020 using a MIDI controller I purchased; The Nektar GX61. Managed to cover the first two halves of Maple Leaf Rag in swing phrasing, how did I do bros:
https://vocaroo.com/16G89x2y0mWq
I really want an acoustic piano (or even a digital one that alteast resembles an acoustic one). I've never actually played on one but how different is the key action ? Is it even possible to cover all classical music on my Spring key based MIDI (obviously considering the fact the piece doesn't use the topmost and lowermost octave).
What are some good cheap choices ?
I'm too broke to spend a single penny rn but a few choices would definitely help in the future, or atleast give me something to look up waste my time with.
>>
>>102786521
Did you have prior experience or did you just practice nothing but Maple Leaf Rag? That's insanely good if you have been playing for only 7 months
>>
>>102786558
Yeah I took guitar lessons a long time ago and learned some basic theory and how to read sheet but that was really short lived as I quickly realized that the Guitar was not for me. I've always wanted to get into piano playing but it wasn't until last year I finally got my first instrument.
>>
>>102786521
>Is it even possible to cover all classical music on my Spring key based MIDI (
No. Late classical and almost everything after requires dynamics and pedals. Even baroque and early classical require dynamics, but I'd say they aren't THAT important compared to romantical. If you dont wanna wait with classical music until you get your piano then play Bach or other baroque composers (Inventions are good for beginners).
>What are some good cheap choices ?
Rent an acoustic or buy a digital. General rule is that a decent digital is better than a shitty acoustic, but a decent acoustic is better than any digital. If you're broke you're better off with a digital, Yamaha makes good ones.
>>102786598
God damn man.. You're mogging me man. I thought I'm talented because I played shit like Mozart Sonata in C Major and Für Elise after 6 months, but Maple Leaf Rag is insane for a beginner.
>>
>>102786504
Yeah, my teacher wants me to play Pathetique mvt. 1 to "push me to another level". It's really hard and time consuming but still feels doable. Memorizing isn't a problem (especially not mentally), but the new techniques are rough. It's been like almost 3 months now and I only got 2 and a bit pages down (luckily I have been studying other stuff on the side though).
>>
>tfw just realized that my favorite Chopin nocturne is also pretty much universally recognized as the hardest
https://youtu.be/-7mntyrW3HU
Guess it'll take a while until I'm ready to play it..
>>
I know an Italian musician who plays fagotto. Should I tell him?
>>
Why is Karajan's Ring shit on? People always say it's trash but what are the reasons?
>>
>>102786521
Wow, that's you? Sounds great.
>>
>>102786666
One of the reasons I dropped my piano teacher was that he insisted I needed to play a Mendelssohn piece (from one of his Songs Without Words) that was way above my level. I have no problems playing pieces somewhat above my ability, but that one was completely unrealistic for me. I'd been learning the piano for 6 months and that was a grade 7, early-advanced piece. It was taking me weeks to play some of the hardest bars. And the worst thing was, I disliked the piece. I wanted to practice the Inventions, some of Scarlatti's sonatas, Bartok etc. and my teacher believed I needed to focus on this one piece. It got to a point where I felt I wasn't making any progress anymore. I'd improved so much within the first 6 months, and then for 2-3 months, almost nothing. Practice time had become dreadful and I realized I'd started to feel repelled by the idea of playing the piano. So I bid him adieu
>>
>>102786789
Well it's still not THAT hard. It's considerably easier than many other chopin pieces
>>
Does it make sense to listen works by its key (D minor, then G minor and such)? What's the best course of action?
>>
>>102787563
I think because he plays Wagner too much like a classical pieces, which maybe reduces the melodies?

Also visually his Ring was very tacky.
>>
>>102788023
Nope
>>
>>102787779
Man this hits really close home, except I actually like the piece.. Been playing for 1 and a half years and she really wants me to play that piece. Funny thing is that she actually wanted me to play Waldstein, but I told her that I want something not that hard because I dont feel ready for Waldstein. Why did you drop your teacher though? Couldn't you just tell them that you think you're not ready for the piece?
>>
File: IMG_20210407_172921.png (251 KB, 720x1277)
251 KB
251 KB PNG
LA has just one classical radio station
>>
>>102787563
He puts more emphasis on the orchestra, and his vocalists are treated like instruments rather than actors. Which I personally like, it’s by far my favourite Ring recording because when I’m just listening casually I’d prefer the experience to cater to aesthetics above drama. But that’s just me.
>>
>>102786504
but trying to learn a hard piece is the only way to push yourself
>>
>>102789295
As I said, it can well be beneficial as long as you don't let it ruin the efficiency of your practice. It's also worth considering that swiftly learning many simple pieces improves your sight reading greatly, while chewing away on a long difficult piece will pull you more towards memorizing by looking at the keys.
>>
>>102789712
My sight reading is shit because I have such good muscle memory.
>>
>>102789712
i hadnt tought of the sightreading part,i guess easier and smaller pieces just dont do it for me, i want to play the polonaise
>>
Einhorn

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Bfje_rtf_E
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HTRgxT8n8K0
another ciacona for my classy cal friends

>>102786445
amphetamines ;)
>>
File: cap1.png (184 KB, 701x846)
184 KB
184 KB PNG
hey /clas/
ive got this piece I need to prepare as piano for an audition, and im really inexperienced in classical and in general. How do i know when to pedal? right now I pedal when there's a significant shift between chords such that i can't keep the chord sustained for most of the timing, but is there something in the notes im missing?
>>
File: cap2.png (2 KB, 29x116)
2 KB
2 KB PNG
>>102790104
also, when it says p (as in dynamics), should i abruptly lower my volume? or gradually expect it?
what does pic rel comma thing signifies?
>>
>>102788486
We had disagreements regarding the repertoire. For some reason he didn’t assign me Bach pieces to play, and from day one I told him Bach was my favorite composer. I think he simply didn’t like Bach or the Baroque period that much. I disagreed with his method and then saw myself having to push through pieces I didn’t want to play in order to please him. He also wasn’t interested in theory beyond surface-level and I wanted more time to study harmony. Because the piano is something I do entirely for pleasure, I couldn’t let him ruin it for me. There are plenty of advantages of having an instructor, but for me when it became something I HAD to do and not something that I wanted to do, I pulled out. I’ve been studying on my own for a few months and it’s been great, though I must say I do feel like I could use some feedback. I might go back to classes eventually but it will never be something permanent because I like to do things my way
>>
>>102790104
look up pedaling techniques

p and f is abrupt yes

also the comma is this

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Breath_mark
>>
>>102790192
based same for me, i want to enjoy the piano and practice at my own pace and autism, with the pieces i want, because playing something you dont like is the most anoying thing you can do
>>
>>102790212
so pedaling is by ear/feel and the comma is to wait for the other instruments?
>>
>>102790192
did you tell your teacher to go fugue himself?
>>
>>102790259
yes to pedaling and the comma is like a comma, a small pause or how the wiki puts it you shorten the duration of the note before to not alter the tempo
>>
>>102790284
oh, I was reading it as a 'look at the other guy'
what symbol is 'wait for someone else'?
>>
>>102790104
this is a baroque era piece so it was written for a harpsichord or organ + accompanying bass instruments, none of which have sustain pedals. as I result, you should be using sustain pedal as little as possible, almost exclusively to smoothen the transition between chords that are difficult to voice in legato without it.
>>
>>102790104
For a baroque piece, I would generally not pedal to prolong notes as you want to hear the individual lines actually. I would use finger pedalling (simply overholding notes) when I see fit to make it sound less dry on a modern piano, and use the pedal only for emphasis and coloristic effects. Another option would be to pedal almost every note individually.
>>
>>102790104
>>102790129
Pedaling is really relative, there is no rule. It depends on the piano. On some pianos you may need to pedal more, otherwise, even if there is no significant change in the harmony, it gets too blurry. You want to keep the notes all clear.
Regarding the dynamics, there is also no rule. Sometimes you might feel the need to go for an abrupt change, other times a diminuendo is more fitting even if it’s not marked. Try both ways and see what works best
>>
I am really curious about Partimento and am wanting to start practicing it, but all the free resources online arent really explaining it in a way I can understand and I don't want to invest $75 into the Sanguinetti or Gjerdingen textbooks if its going to be too over my head to figure out without an instructor.

I have a piano teacher, but is this something that you would expect someone with a master's in piano pedagogy to be familiar with?
>>
>>102790314
>>102790337
>>102790353
pedalling every note individually is above my pay grade, but i'll try to see what i can do. Honestly this music is very much out of my normal range so any adaptation i do is bound to drag it to a modern style.
on another note, i see resources mentioning that the sustain pedal changes the sound of the piano yet when I hold it down I hear basically the same sound (if i'd hold the key down to the same amount of time the pedal is held). I have an electric piano, is this just a problem with it?
>>
>>102790466
>the sustain pedal changes the sound of the piano yet when I hold it down I hear basically the same sound
Classical music can be very autistic. At the level you're playing at, assuming this difference in sound even exists, its irrelevant for your purposes.
>>
>>102790584
Ah nvm nvm I hear it, in the electric it sounds as if the pedal is another tone layered slightly detuned.
>>
>>102790192
Good choice, if you want advice you could post your playing on here and people could give feedback.
>>
>>102790337
>pedal almost every note individually.
Why would you do this?
>>
>>102790466
>>102790670
aye. on an acoustic piano it allows every other string to resonate with the notes you are playing, creating a warmer, thicker timbre. electric pianos will have varying degrees of ability to imitate this effect, depending on the quality and purpose of the model. my electric keyboard, a Yamaha P-255 does a fantastic job of emulating the effect, but keyboards on the cheap end will often just ignore this consideration.

>>102790782
timbral effects
>>
tfw piano noob and want to play this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K03xMG7fdQ4

how many years would it take?
>>
>>102790948
>impressionistic touch by Hough
is there anything more pretentious that Ashish Xiangyi Kumar descriptions?
>>
>>102791031
Music died with Bach
>>
>>102791161
Didn't mean to reply to anyone with that post but whatever
>>
>>102791161
das fax tho
>>
petzold
>>
>>102787563
Because Karajan is objectively shit in everything he does.
>>
>>102791878
I think he's one of the most overrated conductors in history but this is just stupid.
>>
>Play harder piece
>Feel like not improving at all
>Try out easier piece
>Realize that I'm getting the hang of it much faster than I would before
Feels good
>>
>>102792202
this is why i dont bother with easy pieces rn
>>
>>102790948
By the time most musicians become that good theyre smart enough to realize how shit mid-romanticism is
>>
>>102792316
why is it bad? and what do you consider good?
>>
Brahms' symphonies are so mediocre and forgettable.
>>
File: 257.jpg (280 KB, 1473x1061)
280 KB
280 KB JPG
I dont care about:

Mahler, Brahms, Mendlenson, Schubert,any russian composer, Verdi, Dvorak. Grieg, Strauss, Rachmanicock, Ravel (fuck ravel specially)

i only care about: Mozart, Bach, Beethoven, Schoenberg, Wagner, Scriabin and Schumann
>>
>>102792619
I only care about Bach
>>
>>102792504
Pleb opinion
>>
Where can I learn music theory? I don't want deep knowledge or even to be able to play an instrument I just want to be able to read books on classical music and history and be able to understand the progression
>>
>>102793240
>>
Wagner

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79vke0HgUxo
>>
>>102792364
Are you asking about that piece specifically or Franz liszt?I enjoy a lot of composers but I can tell you that I am currently enjoying the pre-serial works of Schoenberg and Webern.
>>
File: apu.jpg (7 KB, 247x204)
7 KB
7 KB JPG
>ctrl f doesn't work on the catalog anymore

What the hell?
>>
>>102792619
Everyone has tastes anon. There is nothing special about you
>>
File: 4e9.jpg (42 KB, 501x585)
42 KB
42 KB JPG
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZ29GtWsAIc https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFH0Vcy2FvE https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMyHBxyUsB
>>
>>102793240
that's more musicology than theory
>>
File: 1617821639935.jpg (239 KB, 1635x914)
239 KB
239 KB JPG
Apparently Ben doesn't think first species counterpoint is music
>>
>>102790104
As nobody pointed this out yet: As I presume, your right hand is basically a written out figured bass with obligato parts. That means back in the day these chords where improvised, which you should try to emulate. All the right hand chords are supposed to be played very freely, adding arggepiation and figuration at your liking, or better in order to best support the violins. So don't try to play the right hand rigorously as is written, but keep it sounding free and improvisatory. You can't really use full pedal all that much since you don't want to connect the bass notes in most cases and the other voices also change every beat. You could use pedal/half-pedal for each chord individually if you realease it briefly before the next note. As soon as get the 8th notes in the bass you should be very careful though, they must sound perfectly clear.
>>
Facts

https://youtu.be/GUoi-JCkG5Y
>>
>>102794466
I think ben would have a better time if he just said rap music is non-intellectual. Which is true.
>>
Trio of /classical/ YT channels:
>Sonata Secrets
>AuthenticSound
>LionelYu/MusicalBasics
>>
>>102794722
Wim is a cult member
>>
>>102794747
And?
>>
>>102794747
>cult leader

ftfy
>>
>>102794907
this, of the lamest religion ever made
>>
File: 1612158769700.png (1.85 MB, 1080x1082)
1.85 MB
1.85 MB PNG
>>102794717
Or if he said music only needs harmony and melody. He really shot himself in the foot by saying rhythm is a necessary element of music.
>>
http://forum.pianoworld.com/Uploads/files/Graded_Pieces_Sorted_By_Difficulty.PDF

I like this list. Helps select pieces. The grading system is far from being absolute and there are many pieces lacking, but still it helps
>>
Is teaching piano profitable?
>>
>>102795056
maybe? keeping in mind your students are never gonna make it you could teach forever
>>
>>102795084
I mean, if they're kids, they're gonna graduate eventually
>>
Why did you lie to me, /classical/? I listened to Mahler for the first time expecting his symphony no. 2 to be boring, pretentious and too long for its own good but it was one of the most exciting symphonies I've ever listened to. It's long but it holds your attention all the way through.
If Mahler is firetruck I guess I like firetruck.
>>
>>102795106
Firetruck is a pseud meme, disregard the opinion of anyone who uses the term unironically.
>>
>>102795141
>>102795106
this, firetruck is the worst meme ever created
>>
>>102795106
>It's long but it holds your attention all the way through
Lmao no it doesn't
>>
Schoenberg was a C U C K, he wrote C U C K MUSIC
atonal and highly chromatic music are good but FUCK SCHOENBERG
listen to late Scriabin, NOT SCHOENBERG
listen to Webern, NOT SCHOENBERG
listen to Sorabji, NOT SCHOENBERG
listen to Messiaen, NOT SCHOENBERG

"Schoenberg was obsessed with infidelity. He returned again and again to the theme of lovers' triangles, usually two men vying for a woman.
He based his early masterpiece, the string sextet ''Verklarte Nacht,'' of 1899, on a poem by Richard Dehmel in which a woman confesses to the man she loves that she is carrying the child of another. The man, no hypocritical Victorian, compassionately accepts the child as his own.
After ''Verklarte Nacht,'' in 1903, Schoenberg composed his tone poem ''Pelleas und Melisande,'' again based on a triangular love story. Schoenberg's symphonic version of Maeterlinck's play differs significantly from Debussy's opera. In the opera, Golaud, the cuckolded husband, is a brutal monster, done in by his own need to control events, while Melisande embodies a wise, if tragic, passivity.
Soon after the premiere of the tone poem, life imitated art. In 1907, Schoenberg's wife, Mathilde, ran off with a young painter, Richard Gerstl, whom Schoenberg had invited into his house.
[...] Schoenberg found ''Die Gluckliche Hand'' much harder to write. There are three characters: Man, Woman and Gentleman. The Man is a genius who creates a perfect gem with a single blow of a hammer, but like Golaud and Schoenberg himself, he is betrayed by the faithless Woman and her sleek boyfriend. The music, while still atonal, is clearer in its forms and rhythms than ''Erwartung'' yet weaker in its impact."
>>
>>102792619
Any composer pre-Baroque:
>i am forgotten
>>
>>102795230
yes, music starts with bach and ends with beetoven
>>
>>102795249
Music starts with Ockeghem and ends with Bach
>>
Music starts with Gesualdo and ends with Wagner
>>
>>102795249
Music starts and ends with Offenbach
>>
Music starts with Hucbald and ends with Josquin
>>
Disliking Bach is a sign of low musical intelligence.

There's a reason why every major composer for the past few hundreds years has absolutely adored Bach and been deeply inspired by his work. And that reason is because the music that Bach created was simply brilliant.

If you don't Iove the baroque style compared to later styles thats one thing. But you have to respect the ingenious of Bach's work.

Disliking Bach is like disliking Shakespeare or Isaac Newton. It comes off as ignorant.
>>
Music starts with Minuet in G and ends there
>>
Music starts with Schoenberg and ends with SpottemGottem
>>
Music starts with A and ends in G
>>
>>102795351
>There's a reason why every major composer for the past few hundreds years has absolutely adored Bach and been deeply inspired by his work
I like Bach, but this is fallacious. Get a personality. Bach’s music is interesting because the polyphonic interplay is interesting. Not all of his work is genius though; he was overly methodical and this resulted in many similar-sounding pieces that don’t really stand out.
>>
>>102794722
>no mikecaffey
for shame
>>
>>102795441
Newfag
>>
Bros i dont know if this is on topic at all but i want to plug my keyboard to the pc, i got the aux cable and i connect it to line in, and can even record audio on audacity. The only problem is that i cant hear a playback, so i cant hear myself when i play. I clicked the option to listen to this device on the audio thing but doesnt work. What do? i got win 8
>>
>>102795425
>not H
>>
>>102795441
Music, like everything and particularly IQ, is distributed in a bell curve. Here is the musical IQ distribution.

68% of the population falls in the 85/115 IQ range. That's average intelligence. As a musical paralel, 68% of the population listens to radiohead, rihanna, ke$ha, flaming lips, etc.

15% of the population falls in the "above average intelligence" tier. That's 115/135. Here, people listen to the more adventurous /mu/core and scaruffi-core.

then 2% of the population falls in high intelligence, from 135/160. Here people listen to very theoretically advanced music like Beethoven, Bach or Mozart.

Finally, the top 0.1% listens to Milton Babbit, Elliott Carter, Webern, etc.
>>
>>102795522
>then 2% of the population falls in high intelligence, from 135/160. Here people listen to very theoretically advanced music like Beethoven, Bach or Mozart.
You should visit r/piano. They don’t seem like particularly high IQ people.
>>
>>102795522
>Mozart
>theoretically advanced
>>
>>102795558
You should visit /prod/.
>>
>>102795558
>>102795579
>falling for such low quality b8
>>
>>102795607
>falling for such low quality b8
>>
>>102795607
Even if it’s bait, there are many people who think like this, especially impressionable teenagers who just found out about Bach etc. It’s really far from the reality of classical music interpreters and listeners though. Try hanging out at a conservatory and you’ll see
>>
>>102795726
>Try hanging out at a conservatory
I'm not a degenerate.
>>
Favorite compositions in D major? My favorite key
>>
>>
>>102795751
BWV 925
>>
>>102795751
your mom loves my D major
>>
Asked in a previous thread. Any other good books on composition other than Schoenberg's? Is the Hindemith one in the Mega any good?
>>
>>102795762
sounds like undertale

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6NY1O9s02Ts
>>
>>102795857
Read the counterpoint books from Jeppesen, Piston, and Salzer and Schachter, along with the harmony book from Aldwell.
>>
>>102795558
>r/piano
Most of the people there either do not play classical or are """"pianists"""" who cant even read sheet music and use YouTube MIDI videos to "learn"
>>
>>102795751
bachs partita in d major, the allemande

also the last part of mozarts d minor fantasia, (is in d major)
>>
>oh yes anon, I love classical music! it's all I listen to while I'm studying
>>
>>102795751
brandenburg no.5 maybe? idk, not a lot of my favorite pieces are in that key (to my knowledge)
>>
I want to start playing Bach. How is this for a beginner?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=G961Cm65fhQ

I thought I’d play one of his actual minuets (not by Petzold) before jumping into the inventions
>>
>>102795956
Would be nice if some more books would be added to the Mega.
>>
>>102796521
>I thought I’d play one of his actual minuets (not by Petzold)
Saving the best for last I see
>>
>>102787563
hsi rheingold is good at least
>>
>>102792619
>Not caring about Schubert
You are beyond help
>>
>>102792619
schubert and dvorak were literally mozart parts 2 and 3 so it's a shame you haven't given them a chance
>>
>>102795459
You need some software that can play midi input. Any DAW or notation software for example.
>>
File: blackwaif.jpg (217 KB, 1080x1350)
217 KB
217 KB JPG
>>102796238
>.... the inner complexities of music itself. Got ya anon. Now do you want to get married and start filling our quiver with beautiful children made in the image of our Lord?
>>
>>102796866
im sorry but i dont believe in love
>>
>>102795865
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q16KpquGsIc
>>
>>102795751
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Osr7UTKCK8k
>>
>>102794722
>Addiobelpassato
>tempoautentico
>>
I hate pieces that sound like they were composed to be background music at a royal party or some shit.
>>
how old are you guys??? are you boomers or zoomers?
>>
>>102797959
>>
>>102797959
29 year old Bazoomer here
>>
>>102797959
>>
>>102797948
like which ones for example? boccherini minuet?
>>
>>102798162
like that and most of Bach's pieces.
>>
>>102798201
bad opinion
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1GXHjxvSi24
>>
>>102795865
That's not what it actually sounds like. I don't know where this misconception came from (I swear people on the internet must have been misattributing it for at least a decade now) but that video's actually an arrange of a Japanese video game theme from 2002.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VIop055eJhU
>>
>>102798230
why do you guys love Bach so much??
>>
>>102798289
because he is one of the best if not the best composers
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39pgBOcIwq8&ab_channel=CareyR.Meltz
>>
>>102798201
>Bach
>royal party music
Anon, have you ever listened to Bach? It’s church music. You’re thinking of Mozart or Haydn.
>>
>>102798382
not that anon but handel water music for me is literally that
>>
>>102798382
>It’s church music.
that's even worse
>>
>>102785842
>Chaconne Edition
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=42FbX1N1MdA
>>
>>102798246
Lmao that's so fucking dumb
>>
File: 1603573473991.png (152 KB, 346x323)
152 KB
152 KB PNG
>>102785842
Shit, I should have used Ctrl+F before making my thread >>102798746
What do you fellas recommend?
>>
>>102786789
the trill in this piece gets me every time. what a climax
>>
>>102797959
>>
>>102798864
Read Taruskin
>>
Schumann

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_gYPLJOGu8
>>
Hey guys I found this piece recently & thought I might share

https://youtu.be/n4rldQkOutY
>>
>>102798864
start with ockeghem, brumel, des prez, praetorius first. then see if you actually wanna go any earlier than that (chances are you don't want actual medieval music
>>
it's organ hours

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzBXZ__LN_M

play some bock and pull out your cock
>>
>>102796813
but im not inputing midi i believe, just audio with the aux
>>
>>102799343
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFNGaGTgT6k
>>
>>102792619
>any russian composer
>Scriabin
>>
>>102798864
Goethe loved Bach. Schiller was used by Beethoven.
Goethe was heavily used by Schubert
>>
ok anons im bored so how abou we do something

lets compose a piano piece together, reply to this post with something like this (example)

T (treble): G

B: (bass) : B, E

You can put a max of 4 notes per clef and you can specify trills, pedal use, arpeggios, dynamics, etc

The first person to reply choses key signature and tempo
>>
T: F A G
B: G
>>
>>102799725
T: G
B: B, E

C Major, common time
>>
also if any of you would like to help me improve this format you are welcomed
>>
>>102799725
T: C# A G
B: Bb
Ped
>>
>>102797959
23. Just the right age to be fucked over by this COVID-19 crap.
>>
File: clasic.jpg (27 KB, 619x268)
27 KB
27 KB JPG
>>
Bach

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uIa1QssMf4k

me like
>>
Why didn't you guys tell me Tavener was this good
>>
holy shit anons, Brahms just clicked, his clarinet quintet is almost as good as Mozart's.
>>
File: bachYOUNG.png (207 KB, 408x382)
207 KB
207 KB PNG
>>102799343
>>102799498
>>102800080
absolute GOAT and there is no question
>>
>>102800343
>>
Which Chopin ballade is your favorite?
>>
>>102801974
3rd
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MDg2LkXU0UY
>>
>get in car
>first two notes I hear are the pizzicato opening of Beethoven's Third's finale on the radio
it was a good day bros
>>
the links for the charts in the OP copypasta are dead, does anyone have a working link?
>>
I cant get Rachmanioff Symphony no 2 movement 2 (allegro molto) out of my head
>>
>>102803177
Based
Did you enjoy birdman?
>>
>>102803269
havent seen it but that looks like a based soundtrack. I love Ravel too
>>
>>102803344
The movie’s great, personally I’m not much of a fan of Rach but that section where the tempo switches from quarter to eighth is extremely well voiced. Glad it appeared in such an amazing film.
>>
>>102798864
>>
>>102796866
It should be illegal for people to take pictures of brunch.
>>
>>102796238
The lecture series in the sticky is amazing for many reasons, but learning about how plainchant is literally made to be background music to study to was one of the first really useful things I learned from it. Chants are great to throw on when I'm doing work stuff, keeps me focused just like it was intended to.
>>
I've listened to a decent chunk of classical but nothing has come close to Wagner that I've listened to. Some Mozart opera's get in the same ballpark but nothing consistently beautiful. What should I listen to to change my mind?
>>
>>102806312
Schubert
>>
>>102806690
What by him should I listen to?
>>
>>102806312
What do you like about Wagner so much? The drama? The scale? The cyclical composition? Just the aesthetics?
>>
>>102799725
E#
E#
E#
>>
>>102806735
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lap25fKABHc&list=OLAK5uy_lTJfsUQza6LIj-Jl5GaTF9EL9eZCq6khU&index=51
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gDgpe6SIjCw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RoDHNBT66bk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DyheAST_Woc
>>
>>102806752
The way it sounds to my ears I dunno.
>>
>>102807257
Listen to all of Beethoven's symphonies if you haven't already. Then try Brahms (start with 3), Schubert (start with 9) and Bruckner (start with 4). Post back here with your thoughts on them all.
>>
can't get enough of the natural horn

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31BM9DlIbIU
>>
>>102799618
Scriabin transcends nationality.
Not to mention he was a total Francophile.
>>
>>102794466
neither is schindler's list but there he is playing it

>>102795579
fpmiu

>>102797301
based
>>
>>102807378
>Scriabin transcends nationality.
Stravinsky said as much too, but I can't seem to find the quote
>>
>>102792619
>Schumann
This guy fucks
>>
>>102799921
iktf bro
>>
>>102796866
god I hate sockeye salmon
>>
Mendelssohn

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jaouINf8NeQ
>>
>>102800343
damn, bach looked like THAT?????
>>
>>102807793
I guess we don't have any contemporary portraits of him in his youth so we just see him from his latest period
>>
is it really true that for string instruments slurs always denote bowing? find it hard to reconcile that with most scores I've seen in the past
>>
As much as I love Papa Haydn, it was a missed opportunity that he didn't incorporate a variety of dance styles into his third movements and instead stuck so steadfastly to minuets. Imagine if instead of the classic M&T we got allemandes, sicilianos, sarabandes, bourees, jigs etc. Mozart's symphonies would've been much more interesting.
>>
>>102798864
https://rateyourmusic.com/list/unregistered/classical-starter-pack
>>
>>102808323
>As much as I love Papa Haydn, it was a missed opportunity that he didn't incorporate a variety of dance styles into his third movements and instead stuck so steadfastly to minuets

The trio sections are usually very original though?
>>
God, Mahler is so dogshit. He's like a parody of a composer.
>>
>>102808997
he's very good but sounds insincere. like he's making epic spiritual music but he's not a true believer. I only passively played his first two symphonies in the background a month ago and it was pretty nice
>>102808323
mozarts symphonies suck except for the last few cause nearly all of them are k 1xx
it's the opposite of his piano sonatas which are like k3xx at the earliest and are all good. mozart is just weird cause we have everything he wrote before he got good unlike say beethoven who gave us the opus numbers we use
>>
>>102809080
Admittedly, Mahler's 1st is a great symphony. His goal was to sound heroic and he succeeded. Also the Frere Jacques movement is creepy as fuck. Sounds like the soundtrack to a lost Soviet movie about oppressed factory workers or something.
His 2nd is also a decent symphony. It is pretentious, but the music is good enough for it to get a pass.
After that he just completely lost the plot and spent the rest of his career trying to rewrite Beethoven's 9th.
>>
>>102808685
There are always little quirks and comic bits but really he wrote so many damn symphonies and so many of them use the same blueprint I can't help but feel the minuet was something that really penned his work in. Imagine if we'd had a sarabande and trio or a bouree and trio.
>>
>>102809118
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZEBeqdqGx4
this
>>
Who are some one hit wonder composers, but that one thing they're known for is like an 11/10?
>>
File: 1548255151715.jpg (26 KB, 400x462)
26 KB
26 KB JPG
>>102792619
>Ravel (fuck ravel specially)
>>
>>102809310
Cesar Franck?
>>
>>102809634
His piano quintet and violin sonata are also well-known works.
>>
>>102809310
Alessandro Marcello

Vivaldi
>>
>>102809310
Unironically Petzold
>>
>>102810060
True Marcellos concerto is really good but idk if it's an 11
>>
>>102809310
Satie maybe?
>>
>>102810239
je te veux>gymnopenis
>>
>>102810239
Satie isn't a 1-hit wonder, though. All his gymnopedies and gnossiennes are popular and he still wrote some hidden gems like this recording:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yuo-lSmMPsM
>>
>>102810442
But Doctor, I am Pagliacci
>>
Hellou friends i have an issue with my piano thats driving my autism crazy. When i play any note a hammer like sound is also played, this is a recorded sound part of the piano voice of the keyboard. My question is if this sound is also present in your keyboards or is a normal thing even in normal pianos (ive played in a couple of real pianos but i wasnt paying attention to the sound)

Here is a sample https://vocaroo.com/123V81yJSi31

(ignore the shitty noise)
>>
>>102809918
well I'm a sucker for piano quintets/quartets so I gotta try that now
>>
Is Brahms Op. 118 the best ever piece for solo piano?
>>
>>102796798
I love Schubert and Dvorak but hate Mozart
>>
How the fuck do I play a trill for two bars or more while keeping the melody in the other hand steady
This is by far the hardest thing I’ve had to deal with when playing the piano. Fuckin baroque, I will give up on adding these ornaments and pretending I’m playing a harpsichord
>>
>>102810928
practice doing trills with one hand and playing notes witht the other
>>
>>102810586
It’s hard to tell. Typically, digital piano keys are noisy when you press them, but where is the hammering coming from? The sound itself? Are the keys weighed?
>>
>>102810983
That’s what I do, but when I’m in the middle of the piece and I have to transition to the trills segment, I fuck up the tempo. It’s going to take a lot of slow practice to get this right
>>
>>102810928
Practice the trill measured and increase the speed (going from eigth notes to triplets to sixteenth, quintuplets etc). If you got that nailed you can work on making the trill more and more free.
>>
>>102811020
the hammer sound is in the sample the keys are sensitive but not weighted

>>102811058
if you can play it slow you can play it fast :)
>>
>>102811092
>if you can play it slow you can play it fast
This is not true at all
>>
>>102811112
its a meme
>>
>>102810060
filtered
>>
When did you realize that Beethoven is the best?
>>
>>102810396
>gymnopenis
lol
>>
>>102811516
Never I fucking hate music
>>
>>102811516
> II. Molto Vivace - Presto
Every fucking time, listening to the 9th right now
>>
File: 1603322772285.png (1.78 MB, 1080x1440)
1.78 MB
1.78 MB PNG
>>102811555
I might just have the guy for you
>>
>>102811575
>his favourite composer was mozart

you cant make this shit up
>>
>>102811665
What would Mozart say about him, I wonder.
>>
>>102811516
Some time before realizing that Haydn, Mozart and Schubert are actually better.
>>
>>102810914
how
>>
>>102811665
https://michaelkrzyzaniak.com/Research/EarlySerialism/
respect symphony 40
>>
>>102811575
you cant tell me the guy wasnt a troll

also romantics btfod
>>
>>102811837
Schubert and Dvorak sound beautiful to me. Mozart sounds like he's trying too hard to sound pretty and it all sounds stiff and bland.
>>
>>102811893
kys

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lfAgr9ZLZDg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vhMAhuY4DA8
>>
reminder

"Schoenberg was obsessed with infidelity. He returned again and again to the theme of lovers' triangles, usually two men vying for a woman.
He based his early masterpiece, the string sextet ''Verklarte Nacht,'' of 1899, on a poem by Richard Dehmel in which a woman confesses to the man she loves that she is carrying the child of another. The man, no hypocritical Victorian, compassionately accepts the child as his own.
After ''Verklarte Nacht,'' in 1903, Schoenberg composed his tone poem ''Pelleas und Melisande,'' again based on a triangular love story. Schoenberg's symphonic version of Maeterlinck's play differs significantly from Debussy's opera. In the opera, Golaud, the cuckolded husband, is a brutal monster, done in by his own need to control events, while Melisande embodies a wise, if tragic, passivity.
Soon after the premiere of the tone poem, life imitated art. In 1907, Schoenberg's wife, Mathilde, ran off with a young painter, Richard Gerstl, whom Schoenberg had invited into his house.
[...] Schoenberg found ''Die Gluckliche Hand'' much harder to write. There are three characters: Man, Woman and Gentleman. The Man is a genius who creates a perfect gem with a single blow of a hammer, but like Golaud and Schoenberg himself, he is betrayed by the faithless Woman and her sleek boyfriend. The music, while still atonal, is clearer in its forms and rhythms than ''Erwartung'' yet weaker in its impact."
>>
>>102811914
No. I am entitled to my own honest opinion and tastes without the need for suicide.
>>
>>102811893
try the clarinet quintet if you like schubies chamber music or any of his vocal music if you like his songs
>>
>>102811915
What a fucking cuck
>>
File: 1611474368355.png (179 KB, 850x400)
179 KB
179 KB PNG
>>102811878
lol, lmao
>>
>>102810887
It's several pieces?
>>
>>102811878
based
>>
music ends with the art of the fugue
>>
>>102812985
It's unfinished, so technically music is still going.
>>
File: acid bath.jpg (178 KB, 600x600)
178 KB
178 KB JPG
Was this the true successor to Johann Strauss?
>>
>>102812985
is not unfinished, thats the ending. Ends with a D, the same note thats starts it
>>
File: 82304-050-242D7462.jpg (426 KB, 1262x1600)
426 KB
426 KB JPG
Realistically, in all seriousness, how much puss did this guy get?
>>
>>102813360
Just google listzomania
>>
How do I quickly get better at sight reading? I play the piano
>>
>>102813791
Use glasses.
>>
File: 20210408_131637.jpg (2.14 MB, 4032x1960)
2.14 MB
2.14 MB JPG
>>102813791
I'm on book 2 of this series, its helped me out quite a bit. I focus on about 4 pages worth of exercises a week from it
>>
>>102813360
none
>>
>>102813897
Are there any pieces in it? Or are there just several lines to sight read without a musical context?
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPn3IDzR0Qw
*fweee in your path*
>>
>>102814000
It starts off at baby music level and the pieces I'm on now are like Notebook for Anna or the easiest Beethoven in terms of actual difficulty. The point isn't to learn good music, its to make your sight reading more fluent, and for that its fantastic. The difficulty increases at a good pace. A few days ago I discovered I was able to sight read the entire exposition of the c minor fugue in book 1 of the wtc slowly, which may not seem that impressive but compared to 6 months ago when getting through an invention the first time was a long, painful endeavor which forced me to constantly look down at my hands and move at a glacial, uneven pace, I'd say the investment of time has been well worth it.
>>
>Practice hard piece
>Get mad and feel like barely improving
>Practice easy piece
>Get bored
>>
>>102815069
What instrument do you play? If it’s piano learn bach, and if you dont like bach im afraid you might be retarded.
>>
>>102815069
this so much this

>>102814225
something im doing is sightread the entire wtc 2, i fuck up a million times but i improve a lot
>>
>>102815069
>start playing violin 6 months ago
>Still cant vibrato
I just want to play my favorite concerto already
>>
>>102815512

is violin easier or harder than piano?

i played a lil bit and looks that if ii nail all the notes i would be easy
>>
>>102815236
Piano. I dont dislike Bach, but I really only like a few pieces of his. Currently practicing Pathetique Sonata mvt. 1 (the hard piece that makes me mad) and Chopins Nocturne in C Sharp Minor.
>>
>>102815611
With piano you'll sound "good" (as in it actually sounds like music) earlier, but aside from that it's really impossible to say which one is more difficult.
>>
>>102815645
record audio of yourselfplaying bro
>>
>>102815611
In my personnel Opinion (which many disagree with) is that Violin is easier than piano.

the reason i say this is because with Violin, you can miss a note but still vibrato/slide into the correct note, given you have good relative pitch. With piano you need to hit each note exact, and if you mess up and press the wrong key, theres no "fix"
>>
>>102815697
Nah man.. I'm shit at Pathetique and only started playing the Nocturne yesterday
>>
>>102815645
I guess it’s taste desu I had the same problem when I was a cellist. Wanted to play all these difficult romantic concertos and when I finally learned the whole Rococo variations i figured out how dumb it was to waste over a year of grinding just to play 1 dumb piece that isn’t even that good.
>>
>>102815069
Play some Couperin. It's often quite easy but mostly very delightful and fun to play.
>>
>>102815925
>he goes from instrument to instrument
ngmi
>>
>>102815925
Try listening to more music and doing more research to find pieces at a suitable level that also sound good.
>>
>>102815960
>>he goes from instrument to instrument
>ngmi
I played cello from grade 6 to grade 11 and switched to piano at the beginning of grade 12. I dont know how you would infer that i switched around multiple instruments but aight.
>>
>>102816002
you still play cello?
>>
>>102815611
Depending on what repertoire you choose one can be easier than the other. Violin can be seen as difficult to progress out of the early/mid stage cause there are barely any good (musically speaking) pieces. Piano has good sounding music at all levels thus making it easier to progress without feeling bored or stuck. Technically speaking though the hardiest piece on the piano is probs more difficult than the hardest piece on violin.
>>
>>102816035
I spend around an hour a day playing the bach cello suites now.
>>
File: n.png (291 KB, 2976x4209)
291 KB
291 KB PNG
What do non-pianists think about easy piano pieces looking like this?
>>
>>102814225
Alright, I'll check it out. Thanks anon.
>>
>>102816828
fuk those chords
>>
>>102816828
Parallel octaves
>>
Learning what instrument would get me laid? Piano?
>>
>>102817297
Bassoon
>>
Feinberg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_PewheP_U4w
>>
>>102817297
Mechanical clock
>>
>>102817462
Thanks for reminding me, I hadn't listened to it today yet

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BIvWjI4PrJw
>>
File: yp6kp.jpg (23 KB, 500x500)
23 KB
23 KB JPG
>>102817428
>the chord at 10:00
>>
What's the undisputed best Mozart piece
>>
>>102817297
Piccolo
>>
>>102817297
unironically guitar and piano (if you are crazy good)
>>
>>102818424
>(if you are crazy good)
People who dont play instruments are insanely easy to impress.
>>
>>102817297
Tuba
>>
File: cover.jpg (379 KB, 800x800)
379 KB
379 KB JPG
Any classical like the Shadow of the Colossus soundtrack?
>>
>>102818977
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DBimK9qhaeY
>>
>rimsky rorsakov
kinda based if I may say so myself
>>
I cant be the only one who thinks 2hu music has "bachian" qualities
https://youtu.be/We6oz7rOwg4
>>
>>102819371
definitely see what you mean more baroque in general than bachian specifically
>>
>>102817250
Lol now I can't unsee it. Is this more "allowed" in romantic music than baroque and classical?
>>
>>102817297
Do chicks even like guys that play instruments anymore? With the internet I figured most people wouldn't even bat an eye at you unless you have a YouTube channel with 10 million subscribers where you play the 3rd movement of moonlight sonata at double speed or some shit.

t. married oldfag
>>
What's the best classical to combine with sexual pleasure?
>>
>>102819697
yeah definitely. Parallel fifths/octaves were forbidden in the contrapuntal rules which were more or less sacrosanct in the baroque, and still held in high regard by the classicists. By the mid-late romantics, this taboo was not really as irreproachable.
>>
>>102819924
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3oIX_1ogks
>>
>>102819967
In a piece like that where its just huge chords, would you actually consider it 4-5 voices or whatever? If not, would it even be proper to call it parallel octaves? Again I don't really know shit about Romantic music on a theory level but I know in baroque and classical you'd never see a piano piece like this mostly made up of big chords. Plus I've played Haydn that had parallel octaves playing the bassline like in this Chopin piece.
>>
New

>>102820225
>>102820225
>>102820225
>>
>>102817855
Clarinet Quintet

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.