[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/mu/ - Music

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

What’s everyone’s honest opinion on NIN here?
>>
Purest Feeling is his best album for sure
>>
NIN prob my second favorite "band" ever but the discussions on /mu/ are always devolving into Marilyn Manson debates and talking about Trent's film work.
>>
Used to think they were just babby's first Industrial, but realised that that's unfairly dismissive of their work
>>
>>100896835
My dad gave me fragile on cd when I was 12 to sort me out. I ignored it until last summer and while it takes getting used to the lyrics TRs combo of songwriting and sound design/production is unmatched.
>>
>>100898219
Which is ironic when considering albums like Broken and The Downward Spiral.
NIN is the most abrasive and challenging band of the industrial-rock scene.
In High school this stupid bitch tried to tell me fucking fear factory was more legit, I should have smacked her shit.
>>
>>100898439
I.. I'm just gonna go out of my way and call you gay.
>>
>>100898439
Do you happen to be 13?
>>
Trent
Get back on heroin or stop calling it Nine Inch Nails, please
>>
>>100898439
>NIN is the most abrasive and challenging band of the industrial-rock scene.
Imagine outing yourself as a pleb this way
>>
>>100898687
Oh?
Post some stuff you think is more abrasive and challening then.
>>
>>100898439
Big yikes
>>
>>100898704
Imagine thinking NIN is challenging in any way, shape, or form
It's not even that abrasive
Like fuck what a weird way to admit you're such a pleb that you've never even heard of Throbbing Gristle or early Swans
>>
>>100898758
>calls Nine inch nails not abrasive
>calls old swans abrasive instead
anon...
>>
>>100898758

Throbbing Gristle isn't challenging and swans is buttrock for psueds.

You've obviously never really listened to much NIN if you think he hasn't made super abrasive and challenging music.

https://youtu.be/AJQT6PoMpLg
>>
>>100896835
>Nine Inch Nails is one of the most important projects of the 90s. At first it was simply considered one of the most relevant acts of industrial music, but within a few years its influence extended far beyond the assumption and Nine Inch Nails became one of the fundamental experiences of all rock music. Behind the theme was Trent Reznor, originally from Pennsylvania, who moved to Cleveland (Ohio), where he had played in some minor formations, including Slam Bam Boo and Chris Vrenna's Exotic Birds. Nine Inch Nails caused a sensation for both the music and the lyrics. Reznor imposed a perfect combination of art and life that resonated with the mood of his generation, just as Bob Dylan and Jim Morrison did before him. With Nine Inch Nails a figure was born that was a cross between Dostoevsky's "demons" and Goethe's young Werther, between Nietzsche's superman and De Sade's perverts. The tragedy was accompanied by notes that summed up ten years of apocalypse soundtracks (come on Throbbing Gristle and from Pere Ubu to Fetus and Ministry ), but filtered through a new sound technology, the technology of the studio and computer age. Reznor changed the face of the rock music group once and for all: the group was him, singer and arranger, messiah and orchestra.
>>
>>100896835
very based
>>
>>100898806
Trent Reznor has never released a challenging piece of music in his life lol he writes pop songs and bathes them in edginess to appeal to shallow faggots like you
>>
>>100898949
You're an idiot
>>
>>100898983
That is neither here nor there; everything I have said is true and correct
>>
>>100899165
Nothing you have said is true.
You're too ignorant to really engage in this conversation.
>>
>>100896835
I love pretty much all Trent’s work. The Downward Spiral and The Fragile are two of my favorite albums
>>
>>100899204
Everything I've said is true lol
I've been listening to NIN since before your dad splooted you and a few million more deserving sperm cells into your whore mother. Trent has never written a challenging song in his life - NIN songs are pop songs in all respects but sonic texture. The harmonic content, his obsession with picardy thirds, the song structures, it's all basic bitch boo-boo shit
As to "abrasive", like, if you really think distorted guitars and layers of random white noise are all that abrasive I can only say that you need to listen to more music before posting here
>>
>>100899350
You sound like a pompous prat with a stick up his butt
>>
>>100898439
fuckin cringe dude
>>
>>100899414
Lmfao stay butthurt faggot. Enjoy being so fucking retarded that you actually consider NIN to be "challenging" and being such a fucking pussy that you actually consider NIN "abrasive"
>>
>>100899350
Uh, no. He’s experimented with a lot of different song structures on a lot of the major releases- way more than just the typical pop form. I.E. Eraser, The Becoming, The Downward Spiral (title track), A Warm Place. And that’s his most well known work. Also, this whole argument of songs in the style of pop not being able to be challenging sounds like it’s coming from some 45 year old drunk at a punk bar, who never got over the whole “sellout” mentality of his early 90’s youth. Pure retardation. And he’s harmonically done many more complex things than just pop structures, though that’s definitely prevalent on a lot of the NIN songs, that’s not necessarily bad...?
Not to mention, though there’s definitely elements of noise that was randomly generated- it’s all extremely deliberately placed, and everything, especially from fragile onward has such meticulously crafted sound design, you’re a fool to try and argue otherwise.
>>
There's nothing wrong with pop

No band sounds like NIN, meanwhile there's dozens of bands that sound like the dogshit that /mu/ considers real industrial, i.e. noise synth with garbage vocals

Although, other than The Downward Spiral and a few songs in their catalogue after that, NIN is pretty overrated. But they're worth legendary status just for TDS and Broken.
>>
>>100899660
Nah, fragile is definitely also in the status of legendary.
>>
>>100899691
It's hard to consider The Fragile legendary when there's songs like YOUUUUU AND ME WE'RE IN THIS TOGETHER NOWWWWW

It just sounds so bad
>>
Marilyn Manson is better.
>>
>>100899760
I think that song conveys what it’s trying to say perfectly with the shitty vocals like that. It’s a purposeful thing, not him just winging it and not giving a fuck about a bad performance. The whole record is very well thought out, and everything fits perfectly, and exactly the way it should.
>>
>>100899794
this Tbh
>>
>>100898439
Bane?
>>
>>100896835
They're okay but I prefer Marilyn Manson
>>
>>100899949
Ah. Never been a Manson fan. NIN is one of my favorites though.
>>
>>100899794
you are wrong
>>
>>100899794
The only Manson album that's actually really good is Antichrist Superstar and Reznor was responsible for much of the sound in that album.
>>
>>100899640

This.

https://youtu.be/nDIjTaPt9co
>>
>>100900061
How ironic...
>>
>>100899537
Hey fuccboi I tripple dog dare you to post some music you think is abrasive and challenging and then I'll tell you why you're a retard
>>
>>100896835
Bowie wrote a song with him. what else do you need to know?
>>
>>100900287
Have you listened to Bad Witch?
It's heavily inspired by Bowie's music.
>>
Anon is right, NIN is a pop group. They're admittedly the noisiest pop group to probably ever exist at this point but they're still a pop group nonetheless.
>>
>>100898806
thats a remix album. and a damn fine one.
but NIN is not more abrasive than some live TG stuff or early Swans. Trent would tell you the same thing.
>>
>>100898687
true ahah
>>
I would say I don't mind them. I used to listen to Pretty Hate Machine and Downward Spiral a bit when I was a teenager, though they never really clicked with me.
>>
>>100899807
>It's bad on purpose
Lol
>>
File: Merzbow-pulsedemon.jpg (42 KB, 316x316)
42 KB
42 KB JPG
>>100900220
>>
>>100898439
NIN is probably on of the least abrasive industrial acts. And that's a good thing; what I like about NIN is the contrast between industrial sounds and dark subject matter on one hand, and the catchy hooks and ambient intermissions on the other hand.

That contrast puts much much more emphasis on the dark parts of the music, compared to most other industrial bands that are just focused on making everything as loud, harsh, and noisy as possible withing the confines of the genre. That just gets stale, and meanwhile NIN is still shitting out great music well into the 2010s.
>>
>>100898439
What the fuck is challenging about NIN?
>>
>>100903688
Not saying it’s bad on purpose, retard. Either you don’t understand why he did or you don’t like the song but it doesn’t really matter- there’s even interviews with him going in on it, talking about wanting an imperfect, slightly out of tune, raw, fucked up vocal take. Seems to meet the criteria to me.
>>
>>100905204
There’s plenty of lyrical subjects that have been challenging. To say they’re musically the most abrasive out of industrial is obviously false- not even TR considers NIN industrial. After all, shitty distorted loops with toilet vocals fucking suck anyway, so, thank god.
>>
>>100905681
I don't really see what's challenging about "wahh I'm disaffected and emotionally disordered"
Like Linkin Park made a whole pop career on the same shit
>>
>>100905664
>Not saying it’s bad on purpose, retard
That's literally what you said, retard
>>
>>100900488
It's amazing how some can't see this
>>
>>100905778
Anon... equivocating linkin park to NIN is asinine in any way, but especially in terms of lyrics. There’s much, much more to NIN than just edginess. Sounds like you’re just regurgitating the over simplified “NIN is shallow edge hurt durr” bullshit that people who dislike NIN spew.
>>
>>100907566
I love NIN actually, I still bump tracks from The Fragile and TDS on the regular
I'm just not a faggot, so I don't try to pretend that any of it is particularly complex or challenging
Trent Reznor makes pop music with dark/harsh sonic texture - there's nothing wrong with that
>>
>>100896835
I love Trent. I hope he is doing fine.
>>
>>100903889
this, precisely this
>>
>>100896835
Pop, overrated (somehow), watered-down Skinny Puppy.
>>
>>100898782
Are you deaf?
>>
>>100898949
This.
>>
>>100900287
Bowie also did a song with Bing Crosby. What’s your point?
>>
>>100896835
I like it
>>
>>100896835
They suck
>>
>>100908828
What's yours?
>>
>>100898704
Unironically Skinny Puppy
>>
>>100900061
>Reznor was responsible for much of the sound in that album.
Actually, Pogo is responsible for that. Reznor just twisted some knobs here and there and added texture/atmosphere.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.