[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/m/ - Mecha

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

I wanted to love it, but for some reason it just doesn't click with me fully. Am I getting filtered or is Unicorn just kinda messy? I love the soundtrack, the mobile suits, Marida is cool? But... I don't know bros, it didn't work for me
>>
>>21454520
Yeah this kind of overdramatic teen drama storytelling won't stick with you if you are an adult. I have this same feeling toward Gundam franchise as whole. Seeing bunch of marysue kids beating adults while sperging about Le War Bad is just not my cup of tea.
>>
>>21454520
It's Disney SW but for Gundam. In other words its trash and I'm not sure why this wasn't immediately obvious to you.
>>
>>21454530
Not OP, but i think Unicorn is still better than Disney SW. It didn't disrespect the old cast and didn't try to "subvert expectation"
>>
>>21454530
No you're absolutely right, the second Full frontal did the "force awakens" ass self referential bullshit like the char kick it left a BAD taste in my mouth. As a whole it did remind me alot of Disney SW at its worst but I think overall was far more respectable than that slop.
>>
>>21454529
>>21454530
>>21454540
>>21454557
What the fuck? Please speak like a normal person!
>>
>>21454530
>>21454540
It's nothing like Disney Star Wars. The new trilogy is the Seed Destiny of Star Wars.
>>
>>Brooding teenagers
>>Generic pop songs
>>Clean, no Gore like your typical Gundam show
>>LE WAR BAD
>>Politic story number 284857538828281184834+

This show checks every boxes of what make a show, a zoomer show.
>>
>>21454520
Only issue I have with the show is the final reveal. A enshrined charter promising autonomy for the spacenoids would have made more sense. That aside, it's easily the most well directed Gundam show, scenes from it are incredibly engrossing. "Gundam is serious business" fags like to complain about it because heaven forbid a main character have some idealism or optimism around him. A lot of people who complain about Unicorn are the type of people who would claim Season 1 of Fafner is better then Code Geass, because there's fewer plot holes or some crap like that. The fact that entertainment is supposed to be first, entertaining, eludes these people. https://youtu.be/qc6ME9S_qps
>>
>>21454585
I find Unicorn to be none of what you said. You are confusing it with Gundam Wing or something. Unicorn is broody, uber serious and not fun.
>>
>>21454520
If you thought that was bad just wait 'til you watch NT
>>
Don't worry anon, media literacy is dead in the 21st century so who cares!
>>
>>21454639
At least NT is just one film.
>>
>>21454580
It just sounds like SEED from your description.
>>
>>21454658

Outside the "generic pop songs" it could describe almost every Gundam entry, and even then I wouldn't have described Unicorn's music as pop at all. Maybe I'm just forgetting things, but wasn't the majority of music orchestral instrumentals by Sawano?
>>
>>21454520
Nah, there's no filtering going on.

Compared to other Gundam entries, more specifically Tomino's UC, there's just far less narrative meat. There's assertions of vaguely defined ideals (i.e. Possibility) and that War is Bad, but there's not really all that much character or world development.

Banagher is a good boy pacifist the entire show; his beliefs don't change or are challenged, he just loses confidence for an episode. Mineva is Mineva. Marida is sensitive. Riddhe starts good, gets jealous over a teenage girl not liking him, kills another character, then is immediately forgiven.

The only characters that really feel like they have much of an arc are the two captains, with Otto becoming (rather satisfyingly imo) serious and competent, and Zinnerman letting himself be vulnerable.

As a viewer, we know Unicorn objectively can't shake up the status quo at all because it takes place between other works, but still insists on courting a large scale story with something that could Potentially Change Everything in the form of the Box, which strips of any and all narrative weight

It also does something I find kind of annoying (that also tends to show up in AUs), and that's being kind of obsessed with the Gundam specifically. Like yeah, it's in the title, it's the protagonist's suit, but it's that thin line between the Gundam being important on a meta level and the narrative actively acknowledging it as the Most Important Thing in the plot.
>>
>>21454585
Gotta agree with >>21454595. Unicorn is pretty much flat spectacle from beginning to end, albeit with some pretty solid presentation, especially in the music. But like... have you watched any other Gundam?

Amuro, Kamille, Judau, Üso and Loran are all idealistic people, the story is simply realistic in having them have to reconcile these ideals with the adult world around them.

Yeah, they go through hard things and have to adapt and grow, but they don't do that by shedding their idealism, they do it by understanding the world isn't perfect and committing to what they believe.
>>
>>21454580
Literally none of that is unique to Gundam or even the era it was produced in. There was precisely one gory shot in the original series, that being the Kycilia headshot. In fact, Unicorn's far more explicit in terms of showing active collateral damage during battles.

I get not liking Unicorn, I don't particularly like it myself, but I swear to God every person talking about is actively making up a version they don't like in their heads instead of an actual criticism.

>>21454660
Yeah, the entire soundtrack save for the credits songs is composed by Sawano.
>>
>>21454529
I don't think you know what any of those things means, or have even watched the original show.
>>
>>21454673
>I get not liking Unicorn, I don't particularly like it myself, but I swear to God every person talking about is actively making up a version they don't like in their heads instead of an actual criticism

One of these days we will get to see Unicorn - the /m/eme cut and finally understand what all the problems people have with it are supposed to be.
>>
>>21454660
It has intro song in tv version ( Star Ring Child) and an insert song at the 6th movie ( Re I Am ).
>>
>>21454520
>Am I getting filtered
Stop using 4chan buzzwords
Stop being desperate for approval of online people
Form your own opinion. Like what you like.
Simple as
>>
>>21454639
I kind of liked NT more than Unicorn, desu. Zoltan was shit tho, but it also felt like the definitive end for the Newtype power wank, what with Rita taking away all the psychoframe shit.
>>
File: 1672911643972849.jpg (82 KB, 1125x631)
82 KB
82 KB JPG
>>21454520
The mech is retardedly overpowered and newtype powers went full fucking Naruto. No thanks.
>>
>>21454520
It's absolutely messy. Unicorn has it's good parts but it's mostly an epilogue to CCA where the author preaches Zeonism.
>>
>>21455129
>bocchi shit

Shut the fuck up, your opinion is worth less than narutards.
>>
>>21455129
This. In the end my one criticism of Unicorn is that the Unicorn itself is ugly and way too overpowered at the end there, and the direction that they went with Newtype stuff. Which really happed in NT, not Unicorn itself, but when they went full "souls are real and there are Newtype souls wandering around in space that can't move on to the afterlife" as a hard science and not as an ambiguous could be real/could just be metaphorical like the rest of the UC works.
>>
>>21454529
Stfu please.
>>
>>21454520
I like everything about it except the protagonists.
It’s one thing to portray the Federation as more overtly evil and oppressive compared to their usual apathy, and I actually like that Fukui did that. It feels like they were finally back to Titans-tier desperation after the shitshow Neo Zeon caused.
But I for the life of me cannot accept Banagher having no drive, no goal, no plan, and STILL not cooperating with the Sleeves simply because “Frontal’s heart wasn’t in it”. Frontal, Zimmerman and Loni were the only people talking any sense, and Cardeas knew it. I do not accept that Banagher’s answer to every thing is to scream SOREDEMO at everyone he meets.
>>
>>21455414
All he ever cares about is women. Don't expect a terminal coomer to make logical decisions.
>>
>>21454520
The writing is trash, it relies on the basic mystery macguffin hook of what's in the box, but on a rewatch you realize just how little substance the series contains. Unsurprisingly, the writer's future projects such as Yamato 2202 were also trash.
>>
File: images.jpg (14 KB, 280x180)
14 KB
14 KB JPG
>>21454670
I have watched every Gundam, start to finish, often multiples times, barring Victory, and technically the end of Age, because fuck Age. For lore purposes, Unicorn wildly fleshes out the actual state of the spacenoids, which had been left much more vague in Tomino works. It gives a final reflection on Zeon and Char's legacy, with many differing perspectives all forming a synthesis.

From the perspective of action, spectacle, yes, Unicorn is unparalleled in all Gundam, and that's a big deal. Mecha shows are at least half action, and spectacle is a huge component of them. Most Gundam shows have pretty basic to bad spectacle, with an occasional jump in quality. The sheer quality of animation, cutting, sound effects, music, is simply unparalleled. The scenarios are often quite well put together as well. Be it an in experienced pilot being kicked around by the Sinanju, this epic, giant rescue operation of attacking a whole asteroid colony, or fight at the edge of the atmosphere, Unicorn consistently brings out these interesting action scenarios to fuel the story.

From the perspective of story Banagher is very much an everyman protagonist, but he's defined instantly by the ridiculous lengths he's willing to go to save a cute girl he started crushing on. He gets to hear the perspectives of basically everyone from every side of the war, be it normal Feddie soldiers, hardened Feddie spec ops dudes, reluctant Zeon soldiers, and a Zeon philisophe and pragmatist who directly attempts to court Banagher to his side. From it all he decides that a future involving accepting the truth, and putting aside past grudges is the only way forward. His character arc is defined by refusing to buckle in the face of adversity, to himself or his ideals. To complain that the show isn't as cynical as Tomino Gundam misses the point, the show is it's own thing.
>>
File: 1674584223637962.jpg (86 KB, 633x795)
86 KB
86 KB JPG
>>21455485
Problem is the only exciting fights in Unicorn are the ones that don't have Unicorn. If Unicorn's there from the start or if it shows up to the fight just pull up your phone and play Genshin. Boring hippy mech with a boring hippy pilot using his boring hippy powers. There's a reason the Stark Jegan fight and the Byarlant fight are exciting while nobody gives a shit about anything to do with Unicorn itself.
>>
>>21454580
>no gore
Ok maybe no explicit gore but…
Schoolkids vaporized by beam weapons
Schoolteacher vaporized
Mom clutching child blown off building
Packed stadium destroyed
Cities razed by beam weapons

These are just some I can think of off the top of my head, the show is pretty violent
>>
>>21455485
I'm convinced most self proclaimed gundam fans don't actually like gundam all that much, they're just tolerating whatever gets in between them and WOW COOL ROBOT.
>>
File: Gundam-UC-05-00104.png (239 KB, 640x360)
239 KB
239 KB PNG
>>21455485
As this >>21454713 guy said, a lot of the critiques of Unicorn are simply wild. Not enough meat on dem bones? The show has more quantity of talkie, reflective scenes like this, then almost any other Gundam show, per minutes of screentime. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2o0kSkj7jEc All of them are about the background of the show and how people have lived with the wars, and their place in it. Gundam shows often fall into the trap of being too focused on military storytelling at the expense of a wider plot. We don't learn Jamitov Hyman's true motives for forming the Titans until literal minutes before he is killed. We only have a vague sense of Scirocco's ultimate goals for society. Unicorn never falls into that trap, while seeing the characters change and grow the whole way through. Banagher, Riddhe, Mineva, Marida, Zimmermann, they all change and grow, often substantially so. If you're making a critique like this: >>21454580, you need to get over yourself, and stop watching anime, and Gundam in particular. You don't like Gundam, since you just described what defines Gundam and complained it was bad.

>>21454595 I don't get this critique either, though it's at least not made in bad faith. Yes, Unicorn is dramatic and serious, but it's also optimistic, idealistic, and never edgy. Gundam Wing could actually be pretty edgy in parts, and tended to take its message deadly seriously, even when you had literal mad scientists proclaiming how "killing people leads directly to peace". I guess if you like the disconnect of silly plot elements with a serious tone in Wing, more power to you, but I'm not as big a fan.

Honestly, the best critique of the show is Full Frontal is right. Full Frontal is right, always was right. I don't agree that leaving everything to the next generation's hands is necessarily better, and I consider any enmity created by Full Frontal's plan to be acceptable. That said, leaving everything to the next generation is very in tune with Gundam.
>>
>>21455547
This, 100%. They are model guys who enjoy being lorefags, but they don't really enjoy the shows themselves.
>>
I liked the action and suit design but I didn't care for Banana too much.
Also didn't like the portrayal of newtype bullshit visually or how sort of "functional" psychoframe magic was.
I like how Full Frontal's ancestral memory made him get a pet lavender haired twink.
>>
>>21455557
Frontal's plan is very VERY wrong though, but it's one of those things where you need to accept that the moment "co prosperity sphere" exits his mouth, he is dangerous for what is left unsaid, with deliberate innuendo targeting a domestic audience, rather than what is explicitly spelled out and that us internationals aren't guaranteed to be cognizant of.

Maybe it would be more intuitive if Frontal spoke of, say, I dunno, The Final Solution to the Federation Question.
>>
File: 1674341729359163.png (736 KB, 590x711)
736 KB
736 KB PNG
>>21455630
That would make Full Frontal more sympathetic not less.
>>
>>21455646
I deserved that, I should've known better than to expect anything but such a reply. Sasuga, anon.

But seriously, to an audience of normals, Co-Prosperity Sphere isn't some random collection of words one stumbles into anymore.
>>
I just think rape is a lazy tool for character writing
>>
>>21455630
True, but I don't think that really interferes with Full Frontal's plan. To dive into real world politics a little, if you want to free a people, you have to do so via Imperium, or wait for them to create their own Imperium. I view Japan's place in World War II as being an inevitable series of escalating events after the Kwantung Army seized Manchuria without orders. It's not that the Japanese were operating in particularly bad faith, or that there weren't many idealists interested in pan-Asianism. It was that Japan had won Manchuria by barely firing a shot, and refused to give it up. Japan's entire foreign policy post 1931 was based on holding this new colony. In a world with no Mukden incident, I doubt America and Japan would have ever come to blows in WWII.
>>
>>21455485
>From the perspective of action, spectacle, yes, Unicorn is unparalleled in all Gundam, and that's a big deal
You mean the first half of Unicorn. Sure, Marida vs Stark Jegan or the first Sinanju fight are amazing. Unicorn & Banshee vs Neo Zeong, on the other hand, is one of the worst final fights in all of Gundam, both visually and in terms of how retarded what is going on is.
>>
>>21455630
>it's one of those things where you need to accept that the moment "co prosperity sphere" exits his mouth, he is dangerous for what is left unsaid, with deliberate innuendo targeting a domestic audience, rather than what is explicitly spelled out
This is the same setting where Gihren explicitly said that even though he's kinda hazy on who exactly this Hitler cat was, he sounds radical and Gihren will do his best to live up -scratch that, suprass- the legacy of Hitler. Not exactly subtle by any measure.
Also Unicorn was written by a borderline netouya, so if "Co-Prosperity Sphere" has an implied meaning, that implied meaning is a closer to a dogwhistle than a warning.
>>
>>21455901
Issue that Gundam has is that it could smack the audience over the head with THIS WAS A BAD IDEA THEN AND IT IS STILL A BAD IDEA NOW and they'll miss the point entirely.
Like, the part where anyone who watches UC0079 and develops sympathy for the Zeon cause doesn't realize that the Principality would want them just as much under their boot as any other Earth dwelling human. I get that as a part of the audience it's normal if irrational to find a side to root for ideologically, and spacenoids have always had grievances that get fucked over by even the hint of association with Zeon, but there's just something really fucked up about how you can get a person to adopt a fifth column mentality like that, and they'll never think about how fucked they'd be if they weren't protected by the fact it's all fiction.

Though I guess it's not just Gundam, but fiction in general being a spectator sport of sorts.
>>
>>21455627
Yeah, Banana became boring fast. He doesn't have much of a character development - from an 'I don't know what I'm doing' nobody he turns into a simp with no opinions or beliefs that are truly his own. It's not something exciting or pleasant to watch.
>>
File: laser eyes.png (114 KB, 261x273)
114 KB
114 KB PNG
>>21455481
>you realize just how little substance the series contains
Fanservice: The Show.
At least we got good battles, even though the plot turned out to be nonsensical and a re-hash of Tomino.

>>21455414
>>21455448
He became a simp on a leash. He actually had no strong convictions at the end - he just did what the object of his simping was expecting of him. It's so pathetic. The herbivorest of the herbivore men. Unicorn is a self-insert fantasy for males who grew up on Disney princesses. Get the princess - happy end.

>>21454904
Zoltan was fun to watch.
>>
>>21454585
Fafner is better than Code Geass, though Coe Geass is more entertaining.
>>
>>21455962
What moral ambiguity is there when we now know that you could give either faction a clone of Zeon Deikun and he would still inevitably be assassinated and his ideals exploited in some fashion to further the greed of a select few?

Seriously, Ricardo is just Feddie flavored Deikun if you stop to think about it, and they did him dirty like the Zabis did the real thing. Suffice to say being a spacenoid sucks and Unicorn wants you to know neither faction has your back in the end, followed by HF daring you to do something about it.
>>
>>21455901
>Also Unicorn was written by a borderline netouya
Source?
>>
>>21455997
Ricardo was just a fencesitter that got burned by Earthnoid hardliners. Seriously, muh secret article is basically unenforceable as it's written, is non-binding in its language and is in the end just an empty platitude thrown like a bone to the majority of humanity that is being forcibly deported into space. But of course that was too soft of a stance for the Tita- sorry, the Earth Federation.
>>
>>21455557
>We don't learn Jamitov Hyman's true motives for forming the Titans until literal minutes before he is killed. We only have a vague sense of Scirocco's ultimate goals for society. Unicorn never falls into that trap
Jamitov had a very good reason to hide his motives since I'm pretty sure guys like Jamaican, Bask, Yazan and Jerid would go full Kycillia if they knew they were working for a contolist the whole time. And Scirocco had to keep the fact that he had any ambitions at all in secret if he wanted to ever have a shot at achieving them. Think about it this way, FF makes a very well argued case for his plan, but what does it actually earn him? Does it earn him even a single extra ally? No, it doesn't. In fact the very fact that he is being reasonable empowers Banana "yeah, but" Manager and Mineva "two Colony drops weren't enough" Zabi. Would he not have been better off keeping them in the dark like Jamitov and Scirocco?
>>
>>21455448
If he ever cared about women he'd fuck Loni and delete Mineva's number. Loni says she wants ten kids in the novel, what the fuck are you waiting for. I think Banana either has mommy issues (well, he has mommy issues either way, see him projecting on Marida) or he's a closeted homo just like Riddhe.
>>
>>21456046
They still blew him up and used his image as a martyr to seize power. And his inclusion clause is about as feasible to act on as Contolism is in general.

Ricardo and Deikun were both fucked over. And it's the spacenoids who suffer for it.
>>
>>21455448
>didn’t listen to the hottest woman around, micott
I think he’s just a newtype simp.
>>
>>21456007
https://www.nytimes.com/2005/07/09/world/asia/for-a-hungry-audience-a-japanese-tom-clancy.html

News article on the guy a one year before the Unicorn novels came out. At this point he's probably just beginning to write or at least form ideas about the plot.
>>
>>21456249
>And his inclusion clause is about as feasible to act on as Contolism is in general.
Contolism states in no uncertain terms that colonies should be independent from Earth, muh article doesn't.
>>
>>21456266
Wait, he's the one that wrote that JSDF time travel movie? I guess that's the first work of his that I ever saw then
>>
>>21455962
Zeon are space nazis retard
It isn't moral ambiguity its every option being shit
>>
>>21456354
>"SPACENOIDS, YOU ARE FREE!" declared the brave Zeon freedom fighters as they unleashed the nerve gas
>>
>>21456354
I wanna see a character in later UC who takes up this retarded ass confederacy style lost cause positioning
>>
>>21456412
>>21456415
>"DOWN WITH THE RACIST SEXIST TRANSPHOBIC CHUDS!" declared the brave Titan antifascists as they unleashed the nerve gas
>>
>>21454580
Congrats on describing just about every Gundam ever. Including 79. If you can't handle some amount of cringe teenage drama then this isn't the series for you.
>>
>>21456412
>>21456425
The common thread throughout UC is that declarations of moral righteousness were typically followed by the unleashing of nerve gas.
>>
>>21456425
i just said the federation is also bad silly head
>>
>>21454580
>it's okay when ZZ did it
>>
>>21455512
Which gundam is this scene from? Its so unnerving.
>>
>>21455995
Exact BS I'm talking about. See Spot Run is a coherent story with no plot holes. It is not a better story then Code Geass. Total plot consistency does not necessarily mean good (nor is Fafner perfect at that either, they kill off Toomi only to resurrect her next episode without comment, it seems to have been an animation error to not show her ejecting. Nor is it really clear in the show how humans managed to get a few Mir under their thumb, then were shocked at the idea of communicating with Festum etc.).

>>21456070
Yes, but this is a story, we want stakes and reasons to root for our heroes. Knowing what the villain wants gives us reasons to care. 0079 was not any worse off because we knew Gihren wanted a strict eugenics program.

>>21455886
Fair enough, that final fight was pretty bad, and the decision to show a newtype vision of the future as if they were literally time travelling was pretty dumb, I don't know what possessed the director at that moment. It's probably why a lot of people end Unicorn with a bit of a bad taste in their mouth, and come away proclaiming it's "bad".

>>21456490
>spacenoids, a vast collection of different peoples and races who emigrated to space
>race traitors

By Kira Yamato, get off /pol/ for few days and read an old book.
>>
>>21454520
why would you go into something wanting to love it? thats setting your expectations and hype levels to a realm that can never hope to be matched. also, gundam ova's and movies all suck. so you were fucked regardless.
>>
>>21454520
I only liked the zeon grunts beating up the noobs and then getting ass blasted by some newtype or whatever ace pilot in the byarlanantanrant
>>
By Gundam standards it's average.
Better than V or A, but worse than Seed or Zeta.
It's just Gundam standards aren't exactly high.
>>
>>21456805
>gundam ovas suck
but why
>>
>>21456811
>Better than V or A
Wrong. Get some taste kiddo.
>>
>>21455557
>mfw I uploaded that

Good to know people got something out of that. I was getting bothered that nobody had it uploaded anywhere so I did it myself.
>>
>>21454561
Are you an actual fucking retard
He's saying that the Disney sequels shat on Star Wars. They used up Luke like a tampon and threw him away, while The Last Jedi was the worst movie in the series I ever had the displeasure to see.
I take a bitter delight in how Rise of Skywalker did their best to walk it back, especially the character of Rose Tico, ugly cunt that she was.
I'm also glad that we'll never see any of these characters again, as they've all fled to greener pastures. If the movies have killed Star Wars as a franchise, with no post-IX content, I'll be happy.

My victory will be complete when they retcon the movies in favor of a new sequel trilogy. You know it's happening.
>>
>>21456812
to short to become invested in characters/plot, always bungled with production issues
>>
>>21456266
At least post the archive:
>https://archive.vn/euQXd
>>
>>21454520
Sensationalist flowery writing that makes every character feel like a flat board. Good everything else though.
>>
>>21455630

I don't entirely agree, because I think that while even if you take his plan as sounding reasonable with no further context that all his other actions are enough to make the point that you can't trust what he says. The most explicit point being that he just "happens" to have the largest, most destructive and powerful mobile armor ever built on hand. Which doesn't exactly scream "I have peaceful intentions". Full Frontal also demonstrated that he was quite happy to throw away Marida's life just for some information on the box in an earlier episode, despite her being one of the Sleeves most loyal personnel up to that point. Which makes him look quite cold and duplicitous.

It's also worth remembering that he wanted the box not to use it's contents (which he didn't know), but because he wanted to bribe the Federation into giving Zeon more time than than 4 years he had left before Side 3 would be folded back into the Federation during which to form a coaltion of the Sides. Which implies both that no other Sides are currently on board, and that he knows the idea is rancid enough it'll take at least half a decade just to get everyone else on board. Neither of which imply good things about his plan.

>>21456070

No, because they were already set against him anyway. He hoped to bring them on side by showing his hand, which at least had the possibility of working; they were never going to join him if he didn't share his plan though.

>>21456266

That article and you kind of missed the point; he feels Japanese people are lost and vulnerable to charismatic extremists beause of it. He's not advocating for those fundamentalists; he's saying that they can exploit society by playing on it's weakness. Why do you think they're the villains in the first place? Why do you think the villain in Unicorn had a plan named for Japan's failed empire building plan; a plan that was almost directly responsible for their current status as a US dependency in the first place?
>>
Fukui is friends with Tomino, who is dead set against Japan's reorganization of it's defense forces. The "Lorelei: Witch of the Pacific Ocean" film is based on the "Himiko Yamato" project that Tomino has been trying to make for years, which is because Fukui worked on the original pitch with Tomino. The film was just him reusing bits of it for his own take on the idea, essentially. Tomino even cameod in the film because of that history.

>>21456344

Zeon aren't really space Nazis in the original show and movies; there's the implication they were the ones that dropped a colony, but the implication is all that we get and the show gives no further detail on the colony drop beyond that at least one happened and Zeon had troops around the colony as it hit atmosphere. There isn't really any Nazi symbolism, and we don't get any detail of war crimes; the destruction of the colonies is almost entirely omitted for instance. The narrator mentions it once, but his monologue gives absolutely no indication what happened beyond that the Sides were destroyed. It could have been either Zeon or the Federation that did it, deliberately or by accident (i.e. friendly fire or something).

The original show is morally ambiguous not because every option is shit, since we barely get mention of why Zeon are shit and no real indication of why the Federation could be considered shit, but because the treatment of the people on both sides is roughly equal. The rank and file of both the Federation and Zeon can be either heroic or douche nozzles; we get some of both throughout the show, and more importantly, the leaders of both sides are generally callous about the lives of their men and the war in general, and selfish in how and why they're acting. They don't care about any grand ideals or morality, and see the war as a way to advance their own goals or power. Gihren is worse than the Federation's leaders, who are mostly just ignorant and petty from what we see, but neither side have good leaders.
>>
>>21457605
>He hoped to bring them on side by showing his hand, which at least had the possibility of working; they were never going to join him if he didn't share his plan though.
They were neutral (Banana in particular was literally about to peace out of the plot) before he revealed his plan, they only became dead-set on stopping him after he did.
>>
>>21457609
i was talking more overall but yeah
>>
File: CharMcDonalds.jpg (59 KB, 1000x523)
59 KB
59 KB JPG
>>21454520
i feel like the main morals of gundam is having to sacrifice so much to preserve a situation that will degenerate things even worse the next time.
And that will require a bigger sacrifice and effort by people who are ultimatly too overwhelmed by what's happening to fully understand the picture.
And unicorn kinda squanders that by having a kid traveling in time, making mobile armors disappear and magically repair mobile suits.
I don't mind space magic etcetera since tomino endulged in that a lot but incredible asspulls always came to a price, they're trying really hard to push a good ending in a universe that is made by a blackpilled dude who never meant a good ending as a premise.
heh...
>>
>>21458489
Actually, if anything Gundam is a lot more prone to being about the struggle to pass on a better future to the next generation than the one the current generation inherited from the Olds of the prior generation. I think every single mainline Gundam entry, UC and AU alike, all find a way to weave in that beloved cliche of Tomino's about how adults ruin everything and the youth of the times have to do something about it.
>>
>>21458536
well yeah you basically said what i said better haha.
i'm looking from a standpoint on how in every series ending something fucked up has to happen, like lalah's death, kamille becoming autistic, judeau becoming so disillusioned he fucks off to mars, and all culminating with the axis shock.
even in the end the domino effect doesn't end since it's a crucial moment for hataway's actions down the line.
tomino is really autistic about generational inheritance.
>>
File: DA23-2.png (1.28 MB, 1440x1080)
1.28 MB
1.28 MB PNG
>>21456770
>they kill off Toomi only to resurrect her next episode without comment, it seems to have been an animation error to not show her ejecting
This bit? The cockpit's in the waist which is intact.
>>
>>21454580
This post gave me AIDS
>>
>>21457167
What do you mean you don't like MONOLOGUES?
>>
>>21454669
>It also does something I find kind of annoying (that also tends to show up in AUs), and that's being kind of obsessed with the Gundam specifically.

I think I've just gotten so used to this thanks to nu-gundam that it didn't register for me in this show. The Unicorn was The Key To Everything, yeah, but at least there were some mobile armors and a good variety of other suits. It's not like everything outside of UC where it's just gundams fighting gundams fighting gundams inb4 "you fogot about the black gundam." I didn't, and I wasn't very happy about that either. But as I said, not as much Gundam wank as I'd come to expect.
>>
>>21458695
>judeau becoming so disillusioned he fucks off to mars
This was presented as a positive development. Stop projecting.
>>
>>21459193
I fucking bet it is, after living trough all that genocidal autism going to bumfuck mars and start something worthwhile is one hell of a positive ending.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.