[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/m/ - Mecha

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Is 00 Gundam a good place to start someone who's trying to get into Gundam? I figure it's either that or SEED and Gundam SEED is...iffy. Especially since we keep having to tell them to avoid Destiny.
>>
Yes.
Just watch S1 and 2 though, movie is trash.
>>
It's a good Gundam but I'd actually recommend being familiar with the broad strokes of OG Gundam first to best appreciate its overarching story and how it plays on a lot of Universal Century's material and translates it into something akin to Asimov's Foundation.
>>
which gundam has the best waifus?
>>
>>21452547
ZZ. It has Hamans fat ass and Purus.
>>
>>21452515
The problem is that the OG gundam hasn't aged well. Origin hasn't covered anything but Char's part and the manga is Expensive.
>>
Best start for UC Gundam is 0080: War In The Pocket
It's a self-contained miniseries that takes place near the end of the war in the first series but all you need to know is
>Zeon declared a war of "independence" on literally everyone else
>giant robots

00 is a good one, too but pretty different from all the 80s/90s shows in tone. The original series really does have the best story of them all, but the old animation was off-putting for me at first. After watching 0080 and 00, though, I already loved the franchise enough that it didn't bother me at all the second time I went to start it. Also the series dub is *excellent* but the dub for the compilation films is all fucky.
>>
>>21452638
That isn't true lol
Visually maybe but even that is part of its charm
>>
No.
Production order.
Watch 00 if you want to watch 00, watch Gundam from the beginning if you want to see Gundam.
>>
File: 1674376292500575.jpg (24 KB, 487x630)
24 KB
24 KB JPG
>>21452638
>and the manga is Expensive
I read it for free 99, I dunno what you mean.
>>
>>21452676
>free 99
I only paid tree fiddy
>>
>>21452478
Go watch Gundam WIng
>>
>>21452651
>>Zeon declared a war of "independence" on literally everyone else
A big point of 0080 is that this is happening on an ostensibly neutral colony that is not directly involved. Declaring war on "literally everyone else" nullifies that.
>>
>>21452742
Zeon attacking that "neutral" colony is the plot of 0080, anon.
Zeon gives no fucks.
>>
>>21452651
>Best start for UC Gundam is 0080: War In The Pocket
fuck no.
production order, everytime.
>>
>>21452478
00 and SEED are both good places to start.
They're about the same in terms of quality, but 00 is a bit better because of the animation.
SEED is decent, it's Destiny where it gets bad, but you can enjoy SEED without watching it.
>>
>>21452478
00 is how I get most people into Gundam.
It's modern, has great animation, thematically it's more familiar to people born post-9/11 than Gundam, and the music is great too.

Every time I've tried to show people OG Gundam they get bored or go to sleep.That show is only appealing to people who are already into anime and want to go back and see the old shit.
>>
>>21452653
The visuals are the problem. Nobody is going to hang around for the story when Kido Senshi Gundam's visuals are primitive even by late 70s standard.
>>
>>21452849
visuals are good enough though, maybe you were talking about the animation? even then, it's still not the end of the world.
t. zoomer who watched it few months back
>>
File: 1674457109153494.png (390 KB, 451x619)
390 KB
390 KB PNG
>>21452478
>Is 00 Gundam a good place to start someone who's trying to get into Gundam? I figure it's either that or SEED and Gundam SEED is...iffy. Especially since we keep having to tell them to avoid Destiny.
How is having to tell new people to avoid Destiny any different from having to tell them to avoid 00 Season 2?
>>
>>21452849
I disagree but idk maybe my standards are lower
>>21452876
just like me fr my fellow zoomer
>>
0079 movies are the best and only entry point for new Gundam fans. Otherwise they'll think whatever shitty AU they started with is superior for some reason or else have a twisted idea of what Gundam is and isn't.
>>
>>21452924
I'm so tired of the "00 S2 is bad" meme.
It's nowhere near as nonsensical as something like Destiny, Destiny literally had a production collapse behind the scenes. 00S2 is not nearly as dysfunctional as that show.
I need more people to use critical thinking when watching 00S2 because it feels like a lot of you guys just heard "00S2 is bad" and just went along with that idea without actually analyzing the show.
>>
>>21452953
S2 is actually really good unless you're one of those people who hates it when Gundam goes into new age voodoo land.

Because that's when 00 reveals that it has a very optimistic view of the newtype myth and that psychic space jedi really can help unfuck the world
>>
File: alens.jpg (15 KB, 389x292)
15 KB
15 KB JPG
>>21452953
>>21453014
>mr. bushido
>smirnov's /r9k/ son
>saji going full retard
>lockon's identical twin brother
>we are the world we are the children
>>
>>21453074
>>mr. bushido
>>smirnov's /r9k/ son
What is wrong with any of these?
>>saji going full retard
He's a civilian who gets thrown into a situation he's alien to why should he know how to operate on the battlefield?
>>lockon's identical twin brother
Foreshadowed in S1, at worst it's a bit lazy, but aside from looking alike Lyle is nothing like Neil. It would be one thing if their characterization was the same, but it's not, only their appearance is.
>>we are the world we are the children
The song during the final battle? It's fine, perfect even.

You don't even say anything about why these are "bad" decisions. Greentext isn't an argument. This is what I mean when I say people don't think about 00S2, did you even consider the meaning of those elements? Why they're there? no, you saw some anon mindlessly greentext them so now you do it too as if that's an argument in itself.
>>
>>21452493
>movie is trash.
Shut up nerd.
>>
>>21452638
>OG gundam hasn't aged well
It aged like fine wine. Your inability to appreciate it is your own issue, not the anime's.

>>21452849
I watched it for the first time as a jaded 23-year-old and the visuals didn't bother me at all.
Maybe if you're an edgy teenager like the ones who grew up on Gundam Wing and hated 0079 when it aired on Toonami, but if that's the case you need to leave because this is an 18+ site.
>>
>>21453097
What's wrong with weebified zombie Graham returning as the most retarded Char clone attempt ever conceived? What's wrong with throwing in a love triangle where you're supposed to root for Saji in the same season they turned Saji from likable civilian on the sidelines to crying pussy that gets people killed? Don't even give me that nonsense about Lyle being different from Neil when he looks exactly the same takes on the same name and does all the same shit. It's soap opera tier. Days of Our Lives tier. Sad!
>>
>>21453159
>Sad!
I love this speech pattern because it's like punctuation that instantly reveals you can justly and completely ignore every opinion that came before it in a post.
>>
>>21453168
If that's how you cope with not having a rebuttal.
>>
>>21453174
>noooo you have to debate with meeee!!!!
Nah. Eat shit and cope.
>>
>>21453187
You're the only one coping.
>>
>>21452805
i'm going to disagree. 0080 is pretty well produced, short enough to be an intro, directly tied to the One Year War, and very straightforward. And 0079 *is* dated. i love it, i highly recommend it, and i do think it is the single best Gundam story. BUT it definitely does help to already be a fan of the franchise before sitting down to watch how it all started. UC proper should definitely be watched in production order. MSG, Zeta, ZZ, CCA, Unicorn, and Narrative will only make sense if seen in that order, but there's nothing wrong with building up a little fandom in a side story or AU before going back in time to 1979. 0080 -> 00 -> Mobile Suit Gundam -> (everything else in production order) is the path i took and while 0080 and 00 do still hold a special place in my heart the original blows them away in terms of story. i just needed to already be a Gundam fan in order to appreciate it.
>>21453159
>most retarded Char clone attempt
Fans complained that 00s1 wasn't "gundam" enough so they added a masked rival and not-Titans to s2. i do think Graham would have been much cooler if he'd recuperated at Sergei's house and learned to wear his scar as a badge of honor instead of at Billy's dad's house which turned him into a weeb. i also have to agree that Lyle made no sense. "We've lost our world-class sniper who has trained for years to become a Meister and has tip-top security clearance in our organization. You're none of those things but you look just like him so here's a Gundam." For the longest time i called him Sven because of Voltron. Even so, that wasn't nearly as bad as Al/Hal constantly screaming "MURRAY!!" The show still kicked ass, tho.
>>
>>21452478
Go with Seed then 00 and Wing.
>>
File: 1673916876416243.png (1.23 MB, 1920x1080)
1.23 MB
1.23 MB PNG
>>21453206
>Fans complained that 00s1 wasn't "gundam" enough so they added a masked rival and not-Titans to s2.
Is that why? That's a shame. Season 1 was so good.
>>
>>21452547
G-Reco
>>
File: 12332453246.gif (732 KB, 320x240)
732 KB
732 KB GIF
>>21453195
>NOOOO YOU CAN'T JUST LIKE A THING! YOU HAVE TO HATE IT LIKE ME! HAVE AN ARGUMENT WITH ME RIGHT NOW! W-WHAT DO YOU MEAN NO!? YOU CAN'T DO THAT! C-COPE! COOOOPE!!!
>>
File: 12313252432645.gif (1.72 MB, 317x498)
1.72 MB
1.72 MB GIF
>>21453214
>Go with Seed
>>
>implying s2 wasn't always intended to turn into a twisted mockery of UC gundam
00 had a plan, you don't get shitposts like the SD trailers without a plan.
>>
Curious how everyone who likes 00 S2 has a unique pet theory on why it's secretly genius but everyone who doesn't can agree why it's bad.
>>
>>21453291
>wasn't always intended to
idk about 00, but i'm pretty sure the directors of SEED said that Dearka switched sides because his VA was popular and his gunpla sold well. Plans can change.
>>21453332
It's not secretly genius. i do still think it was good but s1 was definitely better.
>>
>>21453206
0080 connection to OYW is very minor, it really doesnt add any significant details about it.
>BUT it definitely does help to already be a fan of the franchise before sitting down to watch how it all started.
>there's nothing wrong with building up a little fandom in a side story or AU before going back in time to 1979.
> i just needed to already be a Gundam fan in order to appreciate it.
sounds like its just a really 'you' thing. one can just become a fan from watching original too.
doesnt help that people that circlejerk 0080 do not like gundam and are reductive about the themes that mainline entries cover, thats why I partly agree with >>21452933 too.
If you want to watch UC and by extension gundam, 0079 will always be the best choice.
>>
>>21452547
ZZ for Elle and Roux
>>
>>21452478
Skip all the bullshit and just start with V gundam.
If you don't like UC stuff then either watch the non-tomino OVAs (yes I'm specifically filtering out CCA and F91) or gundam X. If you just like giant robots try G gundam or IBO/Suisei no majou
>>
>>21453422
Okay, so some sperg gave you a hateboner for 0080. That sounds like a 'you' thing.
I recommend it because it's bite-sized compared to the rest of the franchise and it's a good story. Not as good as 0079, obviously, but still a good story.
Also recommending the movies over the series is heresy if you're trying to be a production-order-fag. Go ahead, though, tell me that skipping 2/3 of the content from the series is a good thing right after claiming that i don't like Gundam because i like 0080.
>>
>>21452849
People watch anime that look like shit all the time, the only thing that would really scare most zoomers is the year it came out.
>>
>>21453459
>>21453422
>>21453206
>>21452805
>>21452651
I'm never going to understand how you fucks still take eachother seriously after all this time. Do you people have a secret discord where you have hate sex through erp?
>>
>>21453471
>seriously
There's your problem right there.
>>
>>21453159
>Don't even give me that nonsense about Lyle being different from Neil when he looks exactly the same takes on the same name and does all the same shit.
You are being filtered by a character design.
Neil was the core of the group, a leader and a calm presence who the others could rely on in their down moments.
Lyle was immature, rash and almost gets killed because of a girl he likes and he's a bit of an asshole to the other meisters at the start.
The two are not the same. Lyle doesn't even fully agree with CB's ideals at first and it takes a while for him to get along with them.

Graham was really well done. In part exposes how foolish the concept of a char clone character is in the first place. Aside from his mask and his name his character isn't different from most other chars. He's obsessed with the MC Gundam pilot and defeating them becomes his whole purpose. This is literally the same type of person og Char became in MSG to CCA. He was constantly obsessed with defeating Amuro despite how stupid and selfish such a goal was.
Mr.Bushido is taking that and making it more apparent.

You don't even understand Saji's character if you're calling him a "crying pussy" in S2 who do you think he was in S1?
>>
>>21453291
>>implying s2 wasn't always intended to turn into a twisted mockery of UC gundam
People really don't understand 00.
The final battle is literally the MC in his new 2000s Gundam cutting down a Gundam that looks like the RX-78.(at the time the Exia was also a controversial design because of how different it was)
THERE IS A THEMATIC REASON THE 0 GUNDAM LOOKS SO SIMILAR TO THE RX-78.
And then we get the movie which introduced Aliens and deviated even further from the image of "Gundam".
>>
>>21453504
>THERE IS A THEMATIC REASON THE 0 GUNDAM LOOKS SO SIMILAR TO THE RX-78.
Also in the japanese version Ribbons has Amuro's VA. The guy who did Amuro's english dub voice didn't try out for the part, though, because he didn't know about the connection.
>>
>>21452547
Either G-Reco(Aida, Barara, Mick Jack, Mashner) or Turn A Gundam which has Diana and Kihel.
>>
>>21453530
ZZ has Elle Vianno, tho.
Can't beat an 80s girl who always has your back either in a Gundam or with a shoulder-fired rocket launcher.
>>
>>21452547
Destiny.
>>
>SEED is iffy....
What?! Seed is like the most engaging out of all the gundam. It may be fucking stupid sometimes but you can't say you're not along for the ride the whole way through. up until Jesus Yamato returns. I don't think it ever got back to the same high again and the last arc is kinda meh. Destiny was even more stupid but Durandal was a better villain than Rau.
>>
>>21453459
i dont hate 0080, it's good but if one is going to start gundam, then might as well start with the original.
>recommending the movies over the series
that wasnt my intention, i prefer the series thats why I said 'partly agree'.
>>
>>21452478
00 s1 is really kino, my favorite scenes are always some guy in a non-gn powered suit btfo gundams with pure skill
>>
>>21452478
00 and SEED are both fine starting points for standalone series.
00 has much better visuals and soundtrack but I prefer the setting and mechanical designs of SEED even though it borrows a little hard from UC.
>>
File: 1659638924414778.png (91 KB, 304x290)
91 KB
91 KB PNG
>>21452478
I don't get the question, maybe there was a typo but are you asking for yourself or for someone you want to introduce gundam to? Second, you present us with two options but you don't want the other option and assumes that we also hate it, which leaves you with the latter option. Why ask it then if the answer is already obvious?
>>
>>21452478
Probably one of the best Gundam series to start if you're not interested in UC. S1, S2 and the movie are all different. Generally people like S1 the best, and dislike the movie the most. S2 throws away a lot of the geopolitics in S1 and goes for fun action / keikaku shit.
SEED is fine, just skip Destiny and watch Stargazer instead.
Oh and if you're new to /m/ there's a bunch of autists here who start screeching anytime someone points out their favorite show wasn't well received, gl hf
>>
>>21453014
I'd argue that it's only bad because we were comparing it with S1.
>>
File: 1669859497627684.jpg (455 KB, 1280x720)
455 KB
455 KB JPG
I'd only tell someone to start with SEED if I secretly wanted them to hate all things Gundam.
>>
>>21454730
It's asking for a second opinion for introducing someone else to Gundam. I honestly don't trust my judgement when it comes to people.
>>
>>21455208
>pic
4chan in a nutshell.
>>
>>21452638
I used to be like you, thinking the OG animation looks shit. It really doesn't considering everything was hand painted.
I watched the recap movies, and it was pretty baller.
Unlike Eva, Gundam actually show Amuro grow as person, and it really feels paid off in full in CC. From being a lil bitch and finally manning up into a really fucked up vet with realistic monologues. Although the quess plot feels really unnecessary, I still think it is akin to a Space Opera charm rather than a shounen mecha anime.
>>
>>21455201
I think it's more that breaking it into seasons engendered certain preconceived notions as to how the show's production panned out, as if anons collectively gained the knowledge of "mid series retool" and sought to rapidly dissect every show under the lens of whether it underwent retooling.
>>
>>21452478
No, this is: https://nyaa.si/view/597870

Don't ask questions, just shut the fuck up and watch it
>>
>>21452478
I'd say 00 is the best starting entry to the franchise.
>>
>>21452638
I watched OG Gundam for the first time last November and I thought it was incredible. The first episode does an amazing job of gripping the viewer.
>>
File: 1401102943221.jpg (503 KB, 1000x1429)
503 KB
503 KB JPG
>>21452478
Not your mom. Why don't you try it and decide for yourself? Are you expecting AI to replace you in that regard as well?
>>
>>21455957
AI will replace all of us.
>>
>>21452493
Are we seriously still getting mentally handicapped retards saying this stupid shit 10+ years on?
>>
>>21452638
You need to go back to your subreddit
>>
>>21453097
If you have to ask what's wrong with Bushido then I don't think you should be on the internet at all. Come up with a stawman or something but I'm not wasting my time with you.
>>
I started with Wing, then Wing Endless Waltz, then UC, G Gundam (which I dropped), SEED, Victory (my favorite series), X, then 00 and the Build series.

Personally, I would suggest starting with The Origin OVAs or reading the manga. They are really good and establishes much of the canon beforehand for UC series.
>>
File: 1670776710695954.jpg (26 KB, 600x315)
26 KB
26 KB JPG
I started with 0079 and I am a better person because of it.
>>
>>21453206
0080 is the best Gundam OVA and the only one without any major flaws, but you're kidding yourself if you think it's a good place to start for someone who's never watched a UC show before, let alone any Gundam show. I'm not even talking about muh subversion of tropes or anything, if you don't know how strong a Zaku is relative to a Gundam the gravitas of the finale and the desperation of Bernie's hail Mary goes right over your head.
>>21452748
Fedfaggot, the Feds broke the neutrality of Side 6 first by placing a military installation there in violation of that neutrality They literally made them a target.
>>
>>21452829
>Every time I've tried to show people OG Gundam they get bored or go to sleep.That show is only appealing to people who are already into anime and want to go back and see the old shit.
Why do you even recommend the TV series over the compilation films?
>>
File: 1448029585469.png (674 KB, 1400x886)
674 KB
674 KB PNG
>>21453074
>mr. bushido
Yeah, I hated that. They could have used any rando for their obligatory masked man. JUSTICE FOR GRAHAM.

>smirnov's /r9k/ son
That was great. I loved what a whiny bitch and a Pavlik Morozov he turned into.

>saji going full retard
>saji
would have been enough. There is everything wrong with this character and S2 didn't improve over S1 in that regard.

>lockon's identical twin brother
Yeah, they even have the same seiyuu. I did not like that.

>we are the world we are the children
???
>>
>>21458076
To be fair you can see how strong the Gundam is by how easily it shreds Kampfer and you know that the Zaku II Kai is just barely operational
>>
>>21458076
>>21458180
Also by how Zeon is willing to use a nuke just because it's there.
>>
File: 398214.jpg (1.29 MB, 5672x2764)
1.29 MB
1.29 MB JPG
>>21452547
As in plural? 00, but most of them are taken or dead or both.
>>
>>21455208
>Domon and Master Asia laughing at everyone else
>>
>>21453376
I thought Dearka defected because Buster models WEREN'T selling, and they were hoping having him on the protagonist side would boost sales?
>>
>>21458156
I tried with the films. Same effect.
>>
>>21458235
I love how everyone has wine but Setsuna and Feldt, it fits him so well it's like he still doesn't drink because it was ingrained into him from youth due to his religious upbringing.
>>
>>21452478
>Is 00 Gundam a good place to start someone who's trying to get into Gundam?
Start with Wing or G
>>
>>21452493
I watched the film but I don't remember it at all, so you may be right.
>>
>>21457459
The character is genius. He's a white guy who loses everything, has a quarter-life crisis and then goes on a trip to "find himself" in Asia and gets into Asian spirituality. And then completely makes a fool out of himself.
Graham is perfect and becomes a great foil to Setsuna in S2.
>>
>>21457459
Also you ask me for a reason when you don't even provide one yourself. Exactly what I mean about people just going along with the opinions they've been told to have about the show and not think about what it's doing.
>>
>start the show with a declararion of war against the world
>first 12 episodes are just killing arabs and nothingburger skirmishes
I feel like 00 won't be received well today
>>
>>21458642
it was a different time.
I think if 00 came out today it would probably still do that, but also add something about the conflicts in the former soviet states and maybe some China/India and China/Taiwan stuff.
>>
>>21458235
Clearly Tieria is best waifu. He can be what you want him to be.
>>
>>21458642
00S1 was a critique of US foreign policy following the illegal invasion of Iraq so it would be received better today honestly
it was ahead of it's time
>>
I don't mind aliens appearing in a Gundam show as long as it does not take place in the UC.
>>
>>21458684
Nice try Ivan.
>>
>>21458684
Iraq deserved to be invaded. Saddam had to go.
>>
File: 1674697227250.jpg (19 KB, 360x360)
19 KB
19 KB JPG
>>
>>21453158
>Maybe if you're an edgy teenager like the ones who grew up on Gundam Wing and hated 0079 when it aired on Toonami,
As someone actually from that era, I don't even feel like 0079 was on tv long enough for me to reject it.
>>
>>21458684
>illegal invasion
Is there such thing as legal invasion?
>>
>>21458977
Yes, when country I like invades country I don't like.
>>
>>21458235
>>21458549
The way Feldt is holding her glass, plus the expressions that she and Setsuna have, makes me think she's offering to demonstrate a technique that Sumeragi showed her once.
>>
>>21458977
You could conceivably have a treaty of the form "don't do X or we'll invade you" that was agreed to by both parties. Seems like the kind of thing you'd have in some imperial or feudal setups. That's at least most of the way there.
>>
>>21458553
Nice trolling.
>>
>>21458977
in star wars episode 1 the trade federation invades naboo and forces their leaders to sign a treaty legalizing the invasion... or get blasted
>>
>>21452805
Someone with some sense
>>
>>21453206
The Not Titans are the logical conclusion to the first Season, please try to pay attention to the plot next time you view. And Lyle had already shown up in S1, seems to me you're a dip shit who can't pay attention to shit that was literally on the screen in front of your face.
>>
>>21459268
Sounds right.
>>
>>21452478
I got into Gundam through Build Fighters, but stopped after hearing that episode 23 has so many reference that in order to fully enjoy it I need to watch a good number from the franchise (and it paid off really well). So I had to find a 'first proper' Gundam series. I went with 00. So yeah I would say it's a good starting point although at first I was baffled how the main characters are practically 'terrorists'.
>>
File: 1523486604567.jpg (104 KB, 641x973)
104 KB
104 KB JPG
>>21461623
>I was baffled how the main characters are practically 'terrorists'.
Are you new to anime?
>>
File: q1055854721.7.jpg (123 KB, 1169x826)
123 KB
123 KB JPG
>>
>>21464234
My terrorist wife.
>>
>>21452478
you're an idiot.
>>
File: 733120.jpg (2.36 MB, 4081x5937)
2.36 MB
2.36 MB JPG
>>

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.