[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/m/ - Mecha

Name
Spoiler?[]
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File[]
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 127 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]


[Advertise on 4chan]


I love shin Turn A more than regular Turn A.
>>
I love fucking your moms ass more than her pussy.
>>
>>21071704
That's because you're a pleb.

>>21071705
That's because you're gay.
>>
>>21071704
BALD
>>
>>21071704
He looks naked without the mustache.
>>
>>21071704
I think it looks quite nice, though Ɐ is nicer. I have the MG of it so I thought it would be nice to have the HG of Shin Ɐ but motherfucking piss bandai
>>
File: Fuck You!!.png (297 KB, 453x332)
297 KB
297 KB PNG
>>21071704
>>
File: 6750004551_6842fe88ac_b.jpg (126 KB, 1024x576)
126 KB
126 KB JPG
>>21071956
Okawara's TurnA looks better. Mostly because the face vent makes him less bald. For some reason, they decided to take this as a base for Shin but no face vent.

No offense, but i think TurnA look like garbage. Especially with how Tomino even regret this design few years later.
>>
File: 1642249608086.jpg (158 KB, 960x720)
158 KB
158 KB JPG
>>21072204
>>
File: 1660830279414.jpg (164 KB, 720x1080)
164 KB
164 KB JPG
You're entitled to your wrong opinion
>>
>>21071704
Me too anon. Contrarians on /m/ like a robot with a gay moustache just to feel different, pay them no mind.
>>
File: Untitled.png (191 KB, 503x417)
191 KB
191 KB PNG
>dude mustache gundam lmao
last time I checked mustaches dont grow on your chin you fat idiot
>>
>>21071704
>>21072218
I have yet to see a redesign of Turn A that doesn’t amount to “I made it more generic”
nothing will ever top Syd Mead’s original
>>
>>21071704
That's fine. I don't dislike the Turn A, it's an nice piece of design, but not one of my favorites. I don't get why people want it to have a normal Gundam face, it's one of its most interesting features, but the redesigns with that element changed are alright in my book.
What bothers me about the Turn A are the feet. They look like hooves gone wrong but nobody tries to change them.
>>
>look up the artist
>he has some great drawings of actually cool designs
Oh shit. OP was only partially a fag today.
>>
>>21072312
>>It's generic

Yeah no, Syd Mead's Turn A is so forgettable, sometimes i even forget it exists. Even without Gundam brand slapped on it, Turn A still not memmorable as a mecha and only hipster like it because "It's muh unique Gundurn!"
>>
Never take posts with reddit spacing seriously
>>
>>21072451
Plebdit loves this garbage Gundam
>>
>21072453
You seem awfully familiar with what that site loves
>>
>>21072450

> Turn A placed 24th out of every mobile suit in the franchise on NHK's Top 100 mobile suits poll
> Voted by the public to be the 100th MG Gunpla
> Multiple art books released by artists inspired by Mead's Turn A design specifically

Why is it so difficult to just accept that other people like a thing you don't? You don't have to like the design, but it is laughably easy to disprove the idea only hipsters like it.
>>
I used to be a fag and hated turn A but something happened and it became one of my top favorite designs. I also like Getter Dragon too cause of its similar moustash face
>>
>>21071704
It makes the Turn-A bearable. Just needs something on the top of its head, not necessarily a traditional v-fin but some sort of antennas would be nice.
Syd Mead contrarians fuck off. Turn-A has some of the weakest MS design in the franchise.
>>
>>21071704
>>21072218
don't like it. could work as a sort of Maverick in Megaman X
>>
>>21072450
Either it’s generic and forgettable or it’s unique just to be hipster-bait
pick a (fallacious) criticism; right now you seem trapped in a state of orwellian doublethink
>>21072523
all of the Getter G forms are awesome
>>21072568
the designs in Turn-A are some of the best? Can you explain how they are bad? other than, “I did not like them”
>>
>>21072520
>Why is it so difficult to just accept that other people like a thing you don't?
NTA, but while I agree with your points and I do like Mead's Turn A, it's funny to also see autists getting butthurt over some anons here not liking the OG Turn A. We have both kinds of bad autists in this thread and I hope they all kindly fuck off.
>>
File: MR X.jpg (330 KB, 1029x1500)
330 KB
330 KB JPG
>>21071704
i respect your opinion OP and am happy you like it
>>
File: 1622468871471.jpg (50 KB, 393x542)
50 KB
50 KB JPG
Never seen a "redesign" that ever actually improved it.
>>
File: 1623429147949.jpg (88 KB, 918x1024)
88 KB
88 KB JPG
>>
>>
>>21072914
I'm with you on that. I think the Turn A looks great. The only element I don't really like is the Core Fighter/cockpit integration. I just can't suspend my disbelief over the window/transparency being exposed like it is. I wish it was internal, in the chest or head even. Instead, it's a belt buckle.
>>
>>21072959

Why? You do realize that just because the cockpit is transparent doesn't mean it's weak, right? It's unlikely to be made of glass, and transparency is no indication of toughness despite people associating it was glass since it's the one transparent thing they're most exposed to. Diamond's are transparent too, to a degree. Not exactly known for being weak. Brittle, perhaps; not soft. Not to mention, it's kind of unimportant in a unit with two layers of energy shielding (an i-field and the Moonlight Butterfly) and an actual physical shield for redundancy. Why does it need to have a buried cockpit when it has those? What does burying the cockpit in the chest achieve, beyond confirming to your preconceived notion that "this is how it should be"?
>>
>>21071704
Unironically love original Turn-A and Shin Turn A the same but differently.
>>
>>21072975
DESU, I just think it looks silly. I watched Turn A, but remember almost nothing about the specifics. I'm sure in-universe, the canopy is some Dark History Luna alloy or whatever.
>>
>>21073045

Again, why? Plenty of real things, including actual military platforms, use transparent, exposed cockpits.
>>
>>21073055
>>21072975
Why are you this autistic
How does "I don't like it being exposed because it looks silly to me" not explain it to you
Not that anon btw
>>
File: images-10.jpg (54 KB, 475x646)
54 KB
54 KB JPG
>>21071704
Reminder that that thing has an 0 Raiser
>>
>>21073071

Because "I don't like it isn't actually a reason", and I'm curious if he can explain why. He's more than welcome to dislike it and ignore me if he wants, but I just find it a silly complaint on the surface and want to see if there's more he can say on it.
>>
TurnA fags shit on Okawara's design as if he is not "the man that gave Gundam its very appearance". One of the reason why i'm never ok with Turn A and what's related to it. Fucking ungrateful hipster.
>>
>>21073171

He was quite literally asked to design something different, and then when he turned in what is essentially the SUMO, told to design something less different.
>>
>>21073171
>TurnA fags shit on Okawara's design
who are you quoting
>>
>>21073149
>I don't like it isn't a reason for not liking things
You what
Also, an exposed cockpit doesn't LOOK armored which is what makes it look silly in many people's eyes
>>
Who was the British guy in the opening? I still don't understand...
>>
>>21071704
Just saying I would like to raw dog kihel heim. That’s it that’s the post, bye!
>>
STOP.
REMOVING.
THE MUSTACHE.
FOR FUCKSAKE.
>>
>>21074788
Fuck your hipster robot. Fuck the retarded mustache.
>>
>>21073171
>TurnA fags shit on Okawara
Never happened. Also Okawara had the decency to keep the moustache
>>
File: 20150823025021.jpg (280 KB, 700x1051)
280 KB
280 KB JPG
>>21071704
things that add to the design
>more colour separation on the chest
>off white colours reminiscent of how the white doll is lit in the anime
>smaller head
things that are decent changes, but are a bit too hammed up
>more angular knee pads
>more detail on the shoulder pads
"generic" changes
>head design
bad additions
>elongated front skirt, also done in a very subpar way
>thrusters on the shoulders

my only real complaint is it tries to add a lot more harsh angles to turn a, but then skimps out on the weapons

it's a cool suit OP!
>>
File: wddefb17f0e31.jpg (206 KB, 1125x1290)
206 KB
206 KB JPG
>>21075023
oh not sure if picrel is the "official" scheme or if it's
>>21073146
Still my comment on the chest still stands for that too, the more traditional colour scheme takes the old centre cross and makes it look much better by making it yellow instead of white
>>
>>21075037
I like the white cross more than the sold blue
>>
File: ENFezTZUwAAZg4h.jpg (414 KB, 1263x2048)
414 KB
414 KB JPG
>>21075044
I feel like the very pure white contrasts a bit too much with the brilliant blue. It might've not been too much of an issue in the anime with the beige-offwhite colour grading/lighting white doll always had
It's a very solid bit of colour separation, while the solid blue chest plate always felt like it blends together too much despite the detail
>>
>>21071704
The shoulders just look worse on Shin, and fuck up the continuous curve from one shoulder, through the chest to the other shoulder.
>>
>>21072916
That's an aura battler
>>
>>21072312
I actually like it when alternate designs double down on the weird and different. It’s supposed to be from this apex era of mobile suits beyond anything we’ve seen on screen it should look fittingly alien I believe.
>>
File: Do4gZN6U4AAgqBe.jpg (114 KB, 674x900)
114 KB
114 KB JPG
>>21075811
that's the correct century zeta equivalent!
>>
>>21075815
That's an evangelion
>>
File: Doy3EgOV4AE7cwf.jpg (195 KB, 900x1200)
195 KB
195 KB JPG
Perhaps we should compromise
>>
>>21076494
nice
>>
>>21071704
mole people
>>
>>21075023
Love that colour scheme. If i ever get a hg turn A it shall be painted like that.
>>
>>21071704
I love regular Turn A more than Shin Turn A
>>
>>21074697
Her sister is better.
>>
>>21076494
Good compromise.
>>
>>21071704
You know it's like a really minor custom, right?
The new face looks okay but I honestly think the new skirt and shoulders are worse.
>>
>>21076764
The old NG actually used an off white instead of regular white.
>>
>>21075811
I love mecha like this. Stuff that still has a humanoid look, but seems unintentional or arrives at that point differently that normal.
>>
>>21072312
>nothing will ever top Syd Mead’s original
Plenty already have while remaining true to the Gundam design. That aside, the problem with Turn A is that the base design actually does look good, but the fucking mustache makes it look comedic.
>>
>>21092859
I feel like you come to respect the "mustache" after a while.
It doesn't look goofy to me. I can remember being off put by it initially when I first saw the Turn A, but that was years ago and I was a kid.
But that positioning makes a lot more sense now.
>>
>>21092854(cont)
I think it's because it emphasizes the feeling that the design is a Sci-Fi vehicle design first and foremost.
A lot of mecha take the humanoid form for granted and end up feeling very toyetic, and that's fine for most mecha series, but there are times where it feels like it shouldn't be(a lot of AU Gundam does this for example).
It's not a grave sin though, but that Turn A Gundam Hige-Fix doujin really made me notice that. It's such a great book, it was cool to see so many artists analyze the Turn A from different perspectives. I think reading that alone will change the way you look at mecha entirely.
>>
File: 1626005382079[1].jpg (2.71 MB, 1766x2526)
2.71 MB
2.71 MB JPG
>>
i bet you love cock more than pussy, too
>>
>>21099423
Other way round.
>>
>>21071705
Double penetration?
>>
File: 1644126452580[1].jpg (672 KB, 1536x2048)
672 KB
672 KB JPG
>>
>>21092854
whats your pic from?
>>
>mustache
>penis cockpit
its like they tried to make people hate the design
>>
>>21075811
the hige fix artbook really has some excellent redesigns in it
normies don't get that the turn-A is meant to be a far future design and therefore has to be a little unrecognizeable
>>
File: 25a0345_20190624112401.png (162 KB, 380x288)
162 KB
162 KB PNG
I love Sochie more than her sister
>>
>>21103896
Yes yes
>>
File: C8F5LPRVwAAxaVx.jpg (120 KB, 847x1200)
120 KB
120 KB JPG
>>21103958
Can't help it anon, she's just too cute
>>
>>21103997
I'm mentally weak to bob cuts and goggles. I stood no chance
>>
File: m29849843661_3.jpg (187 KB, 1080x1080)
187 KB
187 KB JPG
>>21104002
>goggles
Impeccable taste, I wonder what she smells like when she's in her pilot suit.
>>
File: 96482560.jpg (84 KB, 581x800)
84 KB
84 KB JPG
>unique head flare that sticks to the samurai theming
>a COCKpit that is really the only good core fighter
why would you assume people would hate these? There's no truth passed down from god saying all gundams have to have the same head style, gundam really only means prototype or "strong model line"

some of the best mecha designs the 21st century have had massive schlongs and if this criticism is based in vulgarity/sex sells mixed with some retarded Freudian brained logic please keep in mind one of the most influential scifi authors was very into comparing good stories to intercourse
>people complain about the mustache
I really think this opinion has been memed into existence in major discussions by youtubers talking about how underrated turn a is, when in reality there's just a small minority of people who actually have well thought out criticism

Your point really boils down to pointing out the design has a mustache, which the anime itself does as well. This really isn't that solid of a point to attack a design as for some most gundams become a lot better designs when you strip off their crests for the more mass produced lines
You lack any insightful disposition to the rest of the mechanical design and rely solely on the head and crotch
>>
File: hyperZeta.jpg (79 KB, 592x570)
79 KB
79 KB JPG
>>21104832
>There's no truth passed down from god saying all gundams have to have the same head style
it's a popular idea though at the very least
if you look at the protagonist gundams they have at least a few very specific rules; for example i can count the number of sharp-chinned gundams on my hand (there's 2) as opposed to the overwhelming number of block-chinned ones
>>
File: 1644487559137[1].jpg (3.1 MB, 1638x2400)
3.1 MB
3.1 MB JPG
>>
>>21071704
So... Why no Gundam with a beard? Too much for the Japanese?
>>
File: The_gundam.jpg (68 KB, 328x700)
68 KB
68 KB JPG
>>21112731
>>
>>21112795
Now combine it with the Turn-A. Gentleman Gundam.
>>
>>21112846

The Gundam from AGE looks like it'd be a gentleman box with those arms/shoulders.
>>
>>21112795
Why are the elbows directly connected to the wrists?
>>
>>21106101

>for example i can count the number of sharp-chinned gundams on my hand (there's 2)

I thought the same then I started counting them...

Gundam Vidar, A-Z Gundam, Blitz Gundam, Arios Gundam, Kyrios Gundam,Harute Gundam, Gundam Ageis Knight, Hi-Nu Gundam Influx, Delta Gundam, Delta Gundam Kai, Fenice Rinascita, Lighting Gundam, Regen Duel Gundam, Scramble Gundam, Zeta, Zeta II, S-Gundam. This is before counting weird shit like the Gundam MK III or Gundam MK V where the chin and face are merged to have a pointy beak.
>>
>>21113315
ah sorry, i meant out of the protagonist gundams
there's definitely way more of them if you count non-protag gundams and it's one of my favorite aspects of the S-Gundam (that it takes the ZZ and makes it look like an evolution of the Zeta through details like said sharp chin)
>>
>>21073149
mobile suits are both mechanically as narratively supposed to be a proxy for the pilot's actual body. it's not a huge issue in the show since there are very few shots actually focused on the cockpit but being able to see the pilot on the Turn A's robocock is a little less "space knight jousting" and more "wacky races". it doesn't bother me but I could see why someone wouldn't like it
>>
>>21116233

I'd argue it's not only not an issue but kind of helps in the case of Turn A because Turn A specifically has a running theme that the White Doll is just a machine, has no morals or goals of it's own etc. It's not meant to be a proxy for Loran mechanically or narratively, but to stand out as just a tool he uses. One other people use as well as him, to boot. Sochie uses it in one episode and it's stolen for several episodes near the end to be used by Merrybell and then Joseph. I would also say that being able to see the pilot is less "wacky races" and more...I don't know, normal? Fighter Jets? Cars? Motorcycles? Tanks are about the only small occupancy vehicle where the person operating it can't be seen through a transparent covering (if not open air in some cases), since it's by far the simplest solution to visibility.
>>
File: 1644537796297[1].jpg (3.68 MB, 2400x1752)
3.68 MB
3.68 MB JPG
>>
File: turna.png (517 KB, 640x465)
517 KB
517 KB PNG
>>21071704
The Turn-A looks absolutely stunning in the actual show so it's design quickly grew on me. Turn-A being my personal favorite Gundam anime helps too.
>>
File: jfsstjxghxjcf.jpg (82 KB, 625x836)
82 KB
82 KB JPG
unfortunately mustaches are too masculine of a concept for the average person on /m/. all we can hope is that one day they will see the truth.
>>
File: 1625047697079[1].jpg (235 KB, 2048x1534)
235 KB
235 KB JPG
>>
>>21119831
I love the way it moves
>>
>>21071704
If I want a "Shin" in Gundam, I want "Shin Gundam".
>>
File: 1588390574075[1].gif (244 KB, 2400x1712)
244 KB
244 KB GIF
>>
File: 1644622960683[1].jpg (3.79 MB, 2400x1742)
3.79 MB
3.79 MB JPG
>>
File: 1479194320954[1].jpg (509 KB, 1200x1662)
509 KB
509 KB JPG
>>
File: 1537363343171[1].jpg (488 KB, 2500x1742)
488 KB
488 KB JPG
>>
File: 1634805912901[1].jpg (730 KB, 3024x4032)
730 KB
730 KB JPG
>>
File: 1463582801488[1].jpg (720 KB, 1002x1443)
720 KB
720 KB JPG
>>
>>21072218
>Especially with how Tomino even regret this design few years later.
You don't have to lie to justify your objectively shit taste, you can just have your wrong opinions and that's fine
>>
>>21144320

Not that anon, but: https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/interest/2014-08-29/gundam-tomino-thinks-young-voice-actors-all-sound-the-same/.78125

>“I've come to realize that asking Syd Mead [to do mechanical designs for the series] was a mistake,” Tomino said. “I was already a fan of his preexisting works, so I gave him free rein to do as he wanted. Actually, somewhere along the line I felt like there was something a little off with the designs he'd submitted, but by that time things were too far along to change their trajectory.”

Which reads less like he hates the designs or anything, and more like he thinks giving Mead free reign resulted in designs that didn't fit with what he was doing but that things were too far along to change by the time he realized that. Not that Mead had free reign as such anyway, since his first submission for the Turn A's titular design was basically the SUMO and it was repurposed into a secondary suit after Sunrise rejected it and told Mead to design a unit that felt more like a Gundam.
>>
File: 1524529094467[1].jpg (290 KB, 1680x993)
290 KB
290 KB JPG
>>
I wish they got Syd Mead to design more Gundam before he passed away. Since Turn A was a redesigned rx78 imagine if he redesigned the Nu, Zeta, Wing etc
>>
>>21145370
Mistakes into miracles
>>
>>21147464

What a boring idea. The other Gundams, especially the Nu, are basically just variations of the RX-78 designs themselves. Why not have him re-design the Zaku II or other units besides Gundams? How about things other than mobile suits, like the Big Zam, Argama etc? Or get him to work on non-Gundam Tomino shows, like redesigning Byston Wells units, Ideon etc? I'd suggest non-Gundam, non-Tomino shows but that's straying a little outside the bounds of his actual work on Gundam and what he could theoretically have done for Sunrise; it'd still be cool to see him do some Macross, Mazinger, Getters etc. Or just his own giant robot stuff altogether.
>>
File: mead_gundam_1983-1.jpg (208 KB, 900x967)
208 KB
208 KB JPG
>>21147464
>>21147625
he's already done concept are for Zaku IIs and the RX-78 for a movie Universal wanted to make
He has also drawn art of the MK-II for Bandai, which they later went on to use for the zeta album

I'd like to think of the Sumo as more of his zaku like grunt suit due to it's thick bulbous proportions and thing Zeta would be something really interesting as it's an AE suit and sets the standard for a lot of AE designs going forward (technically the Shiki does this, you y'know)
It'd be just like him making a design for a different car brand
>>
>>21148786
and think zeta*
also I know that the sumo is basically a recycled older concept for Turn a
>>
File: mead_gundam_opening-1.jpg (125 KB, 750x562)
125 KB
125 KB JPG
>>
>>21148793
so seriously what the fuck is up with the bubble on the unicycle
you fall over you're even more fucked with that shit, it's not air-tight, there's no bugs and shit in your face in a colony
>>
>>21148858
>no bugs in a colony
you think all the flora is fake too? A lot of that shit would die out so quickly without bugs
also imagine actually quarantining bugs from huge colonist ships coming from Earth
>>
>>21148858
>there's no bugs and shit in your face in a colony
There's large scale inter-colony and colony-Earth transport and plenty of plants. They're going to both inevitably have bugs and definitely actively want bugs.
>>
>>21148908
>>21148914
anime is usually pretty specific HERE ARE BUG NOISES EEE EEE EEE EEE
when does that happen in colonies in the Universal Century
>>
>>21147444
bottom middle really captures the character of Turn A the best out of all the redesigns in this thread.
>>
>>21148908
>no bugs in a colony
[F91 reference omitted for clarity]
>>
>>21148978
???
>>
>>21147625
>What a boring idea. The other Gundams, especially the Nu, are basically just variations of the RX-78 designs themselves. Why not have him re-design the Zaku II or other units besides Gundams?

You're typing like this like I'm about to raise him from the dead and squander my one chance at getting him to design mecha.
>>
>>21148786

There's a difference between drawing something and re-designing it. Mead's Zaku II in the concept art posted at >>21148793 is just a normal Zaku II. The proportions might be a little different due to art-style or whatever, but it's hardly a re-design of it. His Mk II is basically just the normal Mk II as well.

>>21148978

When does it happen on Earth in UC?

>>21149090

No I'm typing it like you're suggesting a hypothetical idea and that even the hypothetical idea is boring.
>>
>>21071709
>p-pleb
Redditspeak and forcing yourself to pretend Turn A has a good design don't make you interesting or special.
>>
The mustache has always been retarded and always will be retarded. People just pretend to like it to look "wacky" and unique.
>>
>>21149222
>>21149225
you will never belong here, or anywhere for that matter if a differing opinion makes you immediately think of "THEY'RE PRETENDING TO FIT IN!"
>>
>>21149199
I think in 08th MS maybe?
>>
>>21071704
How about keep the original design and mustache as much as possible but the face plate split during moonlight butterfly?
>>
>>21071704
>>21072218
>ITT: pleb as fuck taste
>>
>>21149225
it accentuates the rest of the design and is aesthetically pleasing
Mead's autism is very enchanting
>>
>>21149222
No it just makes me correct. It's correct century for a reason.
>>
>>21071704
What a shit taste to hate the mustache.
>>
File: 1601076047650[1].jpg (1.96 MB, 1700x2400)
1.96 MB
1.96 MB JPG
>>
>>21147464
You made me realise that a Mead Ideon would be pretty dope.
>>
File: 1471442614460[1].jpg (158 KB, 914x1280)
158 KB
158 KB JPG
>>
>>21072959
>Tomino requested that the design be “sleek” and “graceful”, like a kick-boxer instead of a sumo wrestler, and that the face needed to be more distinct and inside its helmet, like a “persona”. He also requested the cockpit to be in the “womb position”, not unlike the Brains from Brain Powerd, and while Mead found this “uterus”-focus to be odd he didn’t question the mindset.

https://tsukinomayu.com/2022/07/17/the-history-and-production-of-turn-a-gundam-part-iii-prelude
>>
>>21157857
The Turn A could have been a mother to me.
>>
>>21149225
>Wacky
It's slick as hell though. Every single mechanical detail on the Turn A flows into the next. And yes I do like how unique it is but I also like how it's a reimagined V fin and chin red dot thing.

But I unironically love the Zakrello, Kapool, Agguguy etc, G Gundam and SD Gundam because it's wacky and unique. What's wrong with wacky?
>>
>>21153688
I can't imagine what a Mead anything would even look like. His suits all looked so different from eachother. Japan has criminally shit taste for never bringing him back to do anything.

I'd like to see his take on magical mecha or a Super Sentai mecha too. Or anything with combining parts. Also the Ball. Or brave or SRW. Anything really.
>>
File: mead_space_colony_elysium.jpg (524 KB, 1640x1196)
524 KB
524 KB JPG
>>21158050
>Japan has criminally shit taste for never bringing him back to do anything.
are you joking? japs absolutely love mead half of his work is related to japan including turn a and yamato 2050
him not coming back has less to do with japs not wanting him but more with him doing less and less work as time went on especially after 2000s
>>
File: 1601074933086[1].jpg (2.09 MB, 1700x2400)
2.09 MB
2.09 MB JPG
>>
>>21071704
heretical
>>
>>21072450
You're retarded.
>>
>>21160080
Was this the first take that got redesigned to be the SUMO?
>>
>>21072218
I think it has no face vents to push the idea of a streamlined futuristic design. It doesn't have any other vents either.
>>
>>21165125

I'm pretty sure there's at least one scene in the show of steam being blown out around the red beard/gem on the Turn A's head.
>>
File: 1601075034939[1].jpg (2.25 MB, 1700x2400)
2.25 MB
2.25 MB JPG
>>
File: 1622583904108[1].jpg (1.71 MB, 1700x2400)
1.71 MB
1.71 MB JPG
>>
File: 1601075939538[1].jpg (1.95 MB, 1700x2400)
1.95 MB
1.95 MB JPG
>>
File: turn a katoki.png (326 KB, 705x732)
326 KB
326 KB PNG
You think you're the worst Turn A redesign? Watch this
>>
File: 1592343838699.jpg (81 KB, 373x600)
81 KB
81 KB JPG
>>21072312
This is the only redesign of the Turn A that I think looks ok. It actually still tries to emulate that 70s retro future look that all these redesigns completely ignore.
>>
>>21177883
>fully erect core fighter
lewd
>>
Are there any other gundam series that match turn-a for bittersweet endings?
>>
>>21071704
It is cooler, which is what some people want. Others like the funk and mystique of the regular.
>>
>>21075023
I like that art more than this kit's head. The "mouth" area feels sunken in on the kit a lot more.
>>
File: 1448731970009[1].jpg (91 KB, 885x622)
91 KB
91 KB JPG
>>
File: 1508039200590[1].png (864 KB, 554x679)
864 KB
864 KB PNG
>>
File: 1297135302374.jpg (1.22 MB, 813x1053)
1.22 MB
1.22 MB JPG
>>21071704
It's not bad, but I still love Syd Mead.
>>
I think it's a shame people treat the Turn-A like it's this holiest design that no one must ever dare touch. MSVs and the like are fun.

My biggest gripe with the design which no one has ever tried to address is the weird tie-fighter cockput glued onto the front which looks incredibly awkward. It's clearly a nod to the RX78 but it still looks very off.

>>21075053
I really love this colour scheme. The bright Blue/Yellow on the anime design ruin the flow of the contours on the overall design.
>>
File: 1640862271398[1].jpg (2.15 MB, 1700x2400)
2.15 MB
2.15 MB JPG
>>
>>21190732
That's because 99% redesigns are not good.
>>
>>21190732
>I think it's a shame people treat the Turn-A like it's this holiest design that no one must ever dare touch.
The Turn A is a unique design created by a unique designer. Mead made the Turn A as a machine first and character second, which is the opposite of what the typical mobile suit design is (this is even highlighted in the show as the Turn A is the most mechanical acting mech in the whole series). It just cant be redesigned without losing its original design philosophy. Its the same reason why you never see Turn A kit bashes. It just doesnt work.
>>
>>21197679
>Mead made the Turn A as a machine first and character second
Holy shit, you're such a faggot. Mead's designs are just as visual, aesthetics and "character" focused as any other mechanical designer, he just replaces 70's super robot influence with 80's space age design motifs. The reason Turn A kit bashes don't work is because the Turn A is designed based on different influences than other mobile suits, not because it's inherently special.
>>
>>21197714
>it's different than literally all of the rest of the franchise
>that means it's not special
???
>>
>>21197714
You're a dumb nigger. There is plenty of interview material that state the first draft of the Turn A got rejected because Mead's approach was to make a fighting machine and they told him it needed to have more features to make it look more like a character. He didnt want to make the mustache because any type of exposed antenna doesnt make any kind of tactical sense to which Tominao made him go back because it needed to have "Gundam character" features. He literally had no idea what the fuck a Gundam was before the project (unlike every single other Gundam designer) and the final draft of the Turn A isnt what Mead originally had in mind.
>>
I still find it weird turnA don't have a totally organic look
>>
>>21198184
>He literally had no idea what the fuck a Gundam was before the project
anon he had done gundam concept art for paramount for an unlicensed gundam film then bandai/sunrise comissioned a picture of the mk2 prior to turn a
Syd was also very in touch with Korean and Japanese design, having lived in Korea for a bit. He also was part of a bunch of film projects that have huge eastern influence AND designed cars when Japan ran supreme in the car industry
>>
>>21198275
>he had done gundam concept art for paramount for an unlicensed gundam film then bandai/sunrise comissioned a picture of the mk2 prior to turn a
Alright, my bad. It still doesnt retract that earlier Gundam works didnt influence his original mindset like it does with every other person that has worked on the series. Mead made a "practical" machine first whereas everyone else starts with cool robot samurai armor and the mechanics of it all are an afterthought..
>>
File: 1641306407822[1].jpg (3.17 MB, 3170x2220)
3.17 MB
3.17 MB JPG
>>
Does Dark History Turn A teleport his rifle in, or does he manufacture them on the spot?
>>
Turn X > Turn A
>>
File: 1622583969266[1].jpg (1.34 MB, 1700x2400)
1.34 MB
1.34 MB JPG
>>
>>21187648
>>21189876
Is there a clearer image of Hirai's Turn A? The Gundam itself and not the characters.
>>
>>21203196
I hate the Turn X.
>>
Kind of sucks that there are no western artists good enough these days that someone would ask them to do mecha designs for a japanese mecha show. How did Syd Mead even get asked to do it in the first place?
>>
>>21207376

Tomino had admired his work on movies, and wanted an outsider from the industry to do the lead mechanical design for Turn A so it had a different feel. He just reached out and asked specifically for Mead, so far as I know. And there are almost certainly a fucking ton of good artists and designers who could potentially do it; just because you aren't aware of them doesn't mean they don't exist. Thomas Romain has done work for various anime before, including mechanical design for Basquash!; which, complaints about the narrative aside (especially the swerve part way through due to low viewership) had some really nice world building and distinct mechanical design. Both of which Romain handled.
>>
File: R (1).jpg (312 KB, 1000x677)
312 KB
312 KB JPG
>>21207408
>
This is easily the most "western influenced" I've ever seen.
>>
>>21207619

I'm still sad over the direction Basquash! went. The finale was fine, I guess, but the show had a really fun and interesting first few episodes, and then had to change things up immensely because the ratings were not great despite how good it was.
>>
File: 1641093503692[1].jpg (2.29 MB, 1700x2400)
2.29 MB
2.29 MB JPG
>>
>>21072975
Isn't there some side book that says the entire MS is built out of solidified I-fields or something crazy like that?
>>
File: 1590288909339[1].png (595 KB, 1026x1300)
595 KB
595 KB PNG
>>
File: Spoiler Image (134 KB, 1600x900)
134 KB
134 KB JPG
>Loran looks like THIS more than a decade later
>But still sounds the same
How does he do it?
>>
File: 1536123636123[1].jpg (1.1 MB, 2752x2925)
1.1 MB
1.1 MB JPG
>>
File: 1640519291522[1].jpg (2.19 MB, 1700x2400)
2.19 MB
2.19 MB JPG
>>
File: 1643636208624[1].jpg (600 KB, 1700x2400)
600 KB
600 KB JPG
>>
File: 1640938132854[1].jpg (1.94 MB, 1700x2400)
1.94 MB
1.94 MB JPG
>>
File: 1052909048330.jpg (192 KB, 1084x736)
192 KB
192 KB JPG
>>21175329
I've actually seen this pic paired with picrel before (RX-78 with Turn A design features) so I feel like it was meant to be more of a design commentary than an actual full on redesign (what if Turn A had traditional Gundam proportions). I mean come on it looks nothing like a Ver. Ka other than the fact Katoki drew it.
>>
>He redesigned?
>>
I hate how most of the redesigns of the thing amount to ‘we made it look like less like a moustache’. I’m fine with the redesigns that just make the thing look even weirder but Okawara’s redesign for example does absolutely nothing for me because it’s basically the same but more “normal” looking. The thing is meant to be this world ending bizarro thing made from deep space tech that can turn invisible and heal itself. It’s meant to be alien looking so making it look more streamlined takes away the charm and vibe of the suit
>>
File: 1627222129623[1].jpg (397 KB, 720x1090)
397 KB
397 KB JPG
>>
>>21231464
>activate ze moonlite booterfly
>>
File: 1626862569647[1].jpg (550 KB, 1000x1000)
550 KB
550 KB JPG
>>
>>21071704
It’s a nice design but nothing can top the original by Syd Mead.
>>
File: 1626947515593[1].jpg (483 KB, 1000x1000)
483 KB
483 KB JPG
>>
>>21119831
The production art, models and still shots don't do it justice. You really have to see the show to appreciate it.
>>
File: 1626775793355[1].png (1.24 MB, 1000x1000)
1.24 MB
1.24 MB PNG
>>
>>21245156
silly
>>
>>21071704
I love these threads every time I see them, because 90% of the redesigns of Turn A are by artists that literally just don't "get" it's design philosophy. They're used to all mecha falling into a single design language, and they dislike Turn A because it doesn't and is something truly unique among mecha designs.

>>21231494
Basically this. But it's not even just the fact that Turn A "looks weird," it's that there's genuinely more thought put into Turn A than arguably any other Gundam design after Granddaddy itself. Syd Meads design notes show how meticulously designed it was.

For example, I mention this in nearly every thread, so I won't get into much detail this time, but all of the "curves" of Turn are insanely well thought out. As in such no matter what angle you look at it from, it almost always has in an incredibly unique silhouette. A good silhouette is basically a good metric for how well a mecha is designed.

TL;DR; people who dislike Turn A are usually just people who "don't get it." I don't mean that in a superiority complex way, I just mean, they're looking at it from the angle of "This is what a Gundam should look like" specifically. And that's Tomino and Syd Mead aimed to do. They wanted to challenge what a Gundam should look like, due to the influx of Gundam shows in the 90s that all had the same general look to them.
>>
File: 1327262186366[1].jpg (157 KB, 1024x1451)
157 KB
157 KB JPG
>>
File: Turn A redesign - mituo.jpg (371 KB, 829x1165)
371 KB
371 KB JPG
>>21071704
I know it's a fan design and it doesn't follow the original turn a's philosophy, but i just think this one is neat
I mean the og is one of my favourite all time ms, but this one please me in a differnet way that i can't explain
>>
File: Turn_A vs Shin.jpg (375 KB, 1276x990)
375 KB
375 KB JPG
>>21251993
>>21252144
>>21177883
>>21175329
>>21071704
The problem with these is that they're all defaulting to the typical "mecha has to be boxy" design mentality. The entire point of Turn A is to be round and sleek, essentially the opposite of a typical mecha. That's why shit like Shin Turn A is literally peak pleb design - instead of completely redesigning it, they just slapped boxy parts onto Turn A's beautiful curved body. So it's not just a shitty design, but it also shows that the designer isn't imaginative and couldn't even understand the designs thought process.

For example, look at this image.
>Shin's shoulders were randomly made boxy, when the original was purposefully made to curve out from the chest and line up into a crescent
>the kneepads were made boxy, when the originals flowed out from the lines on its legs
>the fingers were made boxier, whereas the originals were rounder to look more "human"
>the helmet design, while a nice idea, was made boxier. For example, the face plate looks more like granddaddys, when you couldve probably made it more like Ideon's to replicate the red "mouth" on the Turn A
>the "mustache" has been moved to the side of the head (which is a neat idea), but they were made boxy and straight - whereas they should've retained the curviness
>the chest was given unnecessary boxy details
>ruined the skirt for no fucking reason, it's just extra visual noise slapped on for no reason

At the same time, Shin Turn A also KEEPS the curvy aspects such as the legs/arms/rounded shoulders. They COMPLETELY conflict with each other in every day.

TL;DR; if you're going to remix Turn A, either go for something entirely different, or at least try and replicate Mead's design philosophy behind the design. Like these look pretty cool:

>>21072916
>>21075815

>>21075811
Also what this guy said. It's what Mead was going for, essentially. It's so far ahead of us, that it looks almost weird because our "sensibilities" haven't caught up yet.
>>
Does anyone happen to have a picture of the Turn A’s weapons platform?
>>
File: DOC base.jpg (115 KB, 1102x440)
115 KB
115 KB JPG
>>21252980
>>
>>21252988
> upside down Enterprise.
So…just wtf was this MS built to take on? Extraterrestrial threats?
>>
>>21252911
The reason it's this way is because its just the designers plamo first and not even a real redesign. I don't like it either but for some reason the skirt just being longer and shoulder armour not going with the chest curve bugs me more than the head too
>>
>>21253232
I personally think the head looks pretty cool. It's just that the rest looks fucking retarded. I feel like if the guy had taken a step back when redesigning that and added stuff that actually fit in with Turn A's circular/curved nature, he could've actually made something really fucking cool. This feels like it was probably a hackjob he did in an hour or something because they wanted to make a kit that uses Turn A parts, and looks a bit more normalfag friendly, since the actual Turn A kit wasn't selling well or something.

If you used Shin Turn A's head and redid it slightly to match the rest of Turn A, it could've been cool.
>>
>>21253354
I forget his name but I vaguely recall its just gunpla style he uses for every kit. In the build fighters manga it's even stupider because it has a 00 Raiser bacpack. Not a redesign just the literal 00 Raiser.
>>
>>21248370
>m-muh silhouette
While I think the Turn A is a great design, I also think you're a fucking dickhead. You're in love with concept and philosophy behind the design, touting it as the expression of a genius yet you're a moron who forgets that designs are visual and people decide what they like to see through their vision and sense of aesthetic, and silhouettes aren't everything they see. Color combination, detailing, style, individual parts, the overall combination. You need EVERYTHING for a design. I can guarantee you that the grandaddy would not be remembered if the blue chest was purple and the body was cyan or if the V-fin was shaped like two thunderbolts.
Anyway, the Turn A looks immediately strange because it's a neofuturist alien building with a mustache. I find it beautiful, but that aesthetic is not for everyone and you should stop acting like a smug elitist just because you think "get" the design.
By the way, an unique silhouette is a quality, but that alone doesn't make a design good or more memorable. G1 Optimus Prime is a literal stack of boxes but it's one of the most remembered designs out there.
>>
>>21253456
>dickhead
Cool I won't read the rest your post then.
>>
>>21072312
>>
>>21177883
That's just a gunboy from ftb
>>
>>21253491
Aww, poor thing
>>
>>21253456
mald
>>
>>21255288
Cool you got the last word in I'm very proud of you
>>
>>21253456
>I also think you're a fucking dickhead.

And I think you're a dumb bitch

Anyway, I can invalidate your entire post with one sentence from my original post:

>basically a good metric for how well a mecha is designed.

I didn't say it was the only factor. I said it was basically a good metric. Also show me one iconic robot that doesn't have a notable silhouette. The reason why they're so important is that your brain recognizes shapes and categorizes them. Something like Turn A having a unique silhouette is basically going to cement it in your brain as its own category entirely, which makes it memorable.

Yes, all the other things you mentioned are important, but silhouette is one of the most important.

>I find it beautiful, but that aesthetic is not for everyone and you should stop acting like a smug elitist just because you think "get" the design.

I'm not being an elitist, I'm saying it's an acquired taste once you watch it in motion and "get it."

>G1 Optimus Prime is a literal stack of boxes but it's one of the most remembered designs out there.

Why do you think normies in the west call Gundams Transformers? Similar silhouettes between the two, even if Gundam did it first. That's what they saw first and categorized it as in their head.
>>
File: 1327245217211[1].jpg (76 KB, 1024x723)
76 KB
76 KB JPG
>>
>>21072312
Less leggy
>>
>>21071704
Turn A biggest "problem", if you can even call it that, is that it's big mustache, but it's dome head
if you give it a more angular head shape but maintain the facial features, it'll look more "Gundam"
>>
>>21259923
>is that it's big mustache
*isn't that it's got a big mustache
>>
File: 1578453963118[1].jpg (677 KB, 1209x2022)
677 KB
677 KB JPG
>>
>>21264354
Necrobumper why do you do this
>>
File: 1588038894824[1].jpg (1.12 MB, 1692x2522)
1.12 MB
1.12 MB JPG
>>
Concave
>>
Turd A
>>
File: 1664955433663906.jpg (63 KB, 600x600)
63 KB
63 KB JPG
>>21147444
i love how the texas tuck feature is still in all of the different iterations. it's much more bold than the mustache can ever be.
>>
>>21267521
Oh no he's hot
>>
>>21252996
I actually think that was the implication, since turn A was based on reverse engineering Turn-X, and Turn X was made by humans that left via interstellar travel and have the capability to adapt itself due to nanomachines.

Cause there's only one reason to go full newtype space magic: Adaptive, hostile, parasitic/swarm lifeforms.

So when earth studied it and built the Turn A, they inadvertently built another Xeno fighter, THEN MASS PRODUCED A VERSION OF IT

Another fun possible implication was that the mech pilots roles may have been reversed, during the dark century, with the "hero" piloting turn A, but I need more info on that one
>>
>>21272575
Derp I cannot type while sick

the "hero" was piloting Turn X, and the "villain" was in turn A, where the mustache makes more sense
>>
>>21075037
I really like Meads original paintings. It makes me really appreciate the Turn A. The proportions just feel right to me here.
>>
>>
>>21072916
>>21075680
Nah thats a Five Star Stories Turn A, look at those heels.
>>
>>21268766
I hate that you're probably right.
>>
>>21272575

> Another fun possible implication was that the mech pilots roles may have been reversed, during the dark century, with the "hero" piloting Turn X, but I need more info on that one

This basically has to be true, since it was the Turn A that caused the Moonlight Butterfly to destroy civilization on Earth and the Moonrace constantly speak about the Turn A or view it as villainous. Not only that, but while the Turn A is found on Earth, the Turn X is found on the Moon bearing scars that Gym says never healed after losing to the Turn A in the past. All of which heavily implies that the two fought with the Turn A defeating the Turn X in a way that maimed it, with the Turn A flying to Earth to ravage it, while the Turn X was buried to repair itself. The Turn A pilot destroying cilivization is not what you'd characterize as heroic.
>>
File: 1501136217622[1].jpg (879 KB, 2844x2928)
879 KB
879 KB JPG
>>
>>21252911
To be honest if the suit existed in the CC timeline, I could somewhat forgive it for being like an attempt at rebuilding the suit from scratch with inferior tech. In this case the design makes sense, but is it wrong to just like both designs? (I do see what's special about the regular Turn-A though and plan to get the HG, just i'd also grab the Shin to pose them in a dueling/fighting manner)
>>
>>21147444
Bottom left has too vibrant colors. It looks like Shining Gundam
>>
File: 2022-11-20_02-52.png (108 KB, 297x278)
108 KB
108 KB PNG
>>21200673
>if you only knew how bad things really are
>>
>>21288028
looks more strong bad smiles to me
>>
File: 1631332117179[1].jpg (628 KB, 2714x2927)
628 KB
628 KB JPG
>>
>>21288028
I love the Sumo Turn A so much
>>
>>21282082
It works better as a gunpla since it was created as an edited gunpla.
>>
File: 1400529075202.jpg (78 KB, 496x783)
78 KB
78 KB JPG
>>21268403
This is a very interesting interpretation. Deserves more appreciation.

>>21294463
This is like AMAIM designs but worse.
>>
File: Turn A mod.jpg (83 KB, 749x999)
83 KB
83 KB JPG
>>21259923
You're right, but instead of giving it a more angular head... why not just make the mustache curvier?
>>
File: 1643803941759[1].jpg (2.09 MB, 1700x2400)
2.09 MB
2.09 MB JPG
>>
>>21071705
I think I might know you.
>>
>>21252996
ELS?



[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.