[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/m/ - Mecha

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

Lossless DVD rip:

Hello /m/ for a good while now I have been working on a project to upscale Fang of the Sun Dougram to 1080p with an AI upscaler but that last time I posted here I noticed a lot of people would actually rather just have a higher quality 480p version to watch instead so what I have done is I created an archive.org page with all of the episodes in 480p, this footage is taken straight from a DVD ISO with no loss in quality and is the basis for my upscale, every episode is encoded at 6785~kbps, with the original AC-3 Audio track as well as English, Portuguese and Spanish subtitles.

Along with the deinterlaced episode files I also have the raw interlaced DVD volumes included in the archive for download. At the time of writing the archive is not full complete but I am uploading the last 5 episodes right now and will upload the movie and special episodes tomorrow.

https://archive.org/details/Dougram-480p

Upscale Project Update:

I currently have 50 out of the 75 episodes upscaled, as mentioned before these upscaled episodes are based on the lossless DVD rip that I made so the source of the upscale is as high quality as you can get with this show but since the DVD is based on a tape master the upscale doesn't look nearly as good as it could, either way I have kept going with the project and hope to finish by maybe the end of summer (It takes a whole day to upscale one episode).

I have uploaded the 1080p episodes to both YouTube and Archive.org with subtitles however the archive page is pretty out of date since it still only has 30 episodes (I will fix this soon)

https://archive.org/details/Dougram-1080p

YouTube version:
I have uploaded every episode to YouTube, the first 50 are upscaled to 1080p with English, Portuguese and Spanish captions while the rest of the episodes are in 480p with hard coded English subtitles but with Portuguese and Spanish captions included.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLm_615Q2LgcBdzirnajuX1XVMfOhUVOgE
>>
>>20860857
Sorry for making the post so long I just wanted to make sure I was being thorough since last time I showed the upscale project here I forgot to mention I was using lossless footage in the original post. (I also just realised that spacing everything out made the post look really stupid, sorry my bad)

TL;DR: you can watch Dougram in high quality here:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLm_615Q2LgcBdzirnajuX1XVMfOhUVOgE
>>
>>20860865
https://archive.org/details/Dougram-480p
(Uploaded the same link twice)
>>
Hell yeah dude.
>>
>>20860857
Fucking incredible. Thank you very kindly anon, awesome stuff.
>>
cool stuff
>>
>>20860857
noice
especially like the non-upscale option
>>
File: 1651517399923.jpg (1.93 MB, 2224x1251)
1.93 MB
1.93 MB JPG
Awesome job, OP.
>>
File: chadkopf.jpg (162 KB, 1200x892)
162 KB
162 KB JPG
good shit fatcat
time to force some friends to watch dougram with me
>>
Bumping as this is the best thread on here.
>>
Thank you for your work and backup, it's so much appreciated.

But please stop with the cancer that is AI-upscale. Please, and thank you.
>>
>>20860857
Awesome, this looks really nice! Thank you!
>>
>>20860917
>>20861172
>>20861178
>>20861262
>>20861287
>>20861399
>>20861980
>>20862038
>>20862043
Thank you all for your support, please feel free to make your own torrents / releases once you have the episodes downloaded. I would make my own torrent with all this but I think just having an eternal archive for the fans is the better option since if I made my own torrent I would have to seed it all the time and I simply just don't have the hard drive space for both of these versions, I now have all the Dougram stuff on my external hard drive but I always have it plugged into my Xbox because I like watching anime on my TV.

Either way I am going to continue the upscale as is, if anybody wants to watch the show in 480p they have the option then if they want the upscale they have the option. I might actually make yet another burner account on YouTube and upload all the 480p episodes there again.

If anybody is interested they should look at the other stuff on my archive page, I am currently working on uploading all of the JoJo's Bizarre Adventure OVA's in lossless quality from the DVD like I am with Dougram, on my archive page I also plan on uploading the Starship Troopers OVA and Mad Bull 34 in the same way.

https://archive.org/details/@fatcatofalltime

and well guess while I have the chance I may as well shill my other projects / channels:

Starship Troopers:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLrPVT5RfI89ec-KcN6IURqNcV0VWBwpk5

California Crisis:
https://youtu.be/-HZgrKrQa2s

Heavy Metal L-Gaim:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL7GXvi257lJ4Avq52h9hIqz4ipLLuS7Dh
>>
>>20860857
Also OP here again, thought I'd make some miscellaneous notes about the archive before people start asking questions.

-Just remember to download the MKV files and not the MP4's since the MP4 files are just compressed preview videos archive makes automatically.

-All the individual episodes are deinterlaced with subtitles included while the videos marked as "Volume" is the raw interlaced DVD footage, these volume files are actually 2 hour long video files separated by chapters so if you plan on downloading that version because you want to use your own deinterlacing methods then just keep that in mind and the fact you can separate the episode chapters with a program like handbrake.

-The SSA subtitles are included in the MKV's but can also be downloaded by themselves in the ZIP download option.

-If you find that the download times are far too slow then you can use the Torrent download option which will give you a direct connection to the archive server, speeding up the download speed. I am also pretty sure just downloading stuff from a browser is slower in general anyway.
>>
>>20862474
haven't used archive.org before, is there anything in particular that should be pointed out about uploading to there? i want to upload Roots of Ambition in english and The Iron Giant for some friends
>>
File: REzoRjW.gif (1.05 MB, 500x450)
1.05 MB
1.05 MB GIF
>>20862704
It works basically just like YouTube
>drag files for upload
>set title and stuff
>Done

Although there are some difference like when you upload something you can set a unique URL and you can upload any type of file you want, once it is uploaded folk can either download the file or view it in the in-browser video player however just remember that subtitles won't appear on the video player unless they are burned in.

When it comes to copyright I have no idea how it works, I just assume that if you post something really popular that is readily available everywhere and it gets a bunch of views maybe it will get taken although I'm not sure. but if you are just gonna upload a Votoms OVA and that one film then it will probably be fine.

Other than that the rest is just self explanatory, good luck with your upload!
>>
Be sure to share with the /m/useum thread when you're done, OP. Dougram is one of the best anime ever made and this will be enjoyed by people across the planet.
>>
>>20860857
Why 480p and not 576p?
>>
>>20862805
I now have every episode, the OVA's, the Movie and DVD extra's uploaded now. I will make another post once I have finished the upscale project.

>>20862831
You seem to be getting confused with DVD format resolutions, the DVD's I based my rip on are from Japan and are in turn NTSC (American DVD's are also this way) which are 480i at 30 FPS meanwhile DVD's from Europe are PAL, have 576i resolution and run at 25 FPS. Dougram was only released in Japan so this is the only option we have but even if there was a European release I would probably not use it since PAL DVD's run 4% faster for some reason and the fact that the show is based on a tape master means we wouldn't even get any benefit from it being encoded at a higher resolution.
>>
damn, nice
>1.2gb an ep
i'm running low on disk space, i guess i'll stick with the bereke scrubs release for now. i'll bookmark this for when i get another hdd though.

will this not get copyright striked on archive.org? japs are pretty hardcore with their copyright shit
>>
>>20860857
>1.2gig for 480p episodes
Learn how to fucking encode before you even bother 'upscaling'
>>
>>20863136
That's what encode monkeys are for.
>>
>>20863122
There is a lot of obscure anime on archive that has not been taken down yet so I think Dougram should be fine.

>>20863136
I greatly apologise for not raping away every little bit of detail away with digital noise reduction, I am also very sorry for not encoding the videos at the same bitrate as a Chinese Video CD or encoding the audio in AAC-LC @64kbps.

Snarky comments aside, the whole point of the archive to have a LOSSLESS rip of the show on the internet, if you don't like that then go watch the Bereke Scrubs release which has a smaller file size.

https://berekescrubs.wordpress.com/category/fang-of-the-sun-dougram/
>>
Dougram frens I have not yet seen it but does the series ever state the general location of Deloyer in relation to Earth?
>>
>>20864990
Probably, why not watch it and see?
>>
>>20865210
Very helpful answer.
>>
>>20864990
I just finished my last watch through of the series recently and I don't think they ever do mention it, I assume that Deloyer would probably be about as far away from Earth as your average Exoplanet so let's just say about 4 or 5 light years away maybe.
>>
File: FIQutkiagAMRQlh.jpg (334 KB, 1564x1564)
334 KB
334 KB JPG
>>
>>20865623
I recall "the flight will take 50-odd hours in a spaceship" but I don't recall anything specific?
>>
>>20864990
Yes
>>
File: Image1.png (2 KB, 195x83)
2 KB
2 KB PNG
it's weird
last time I put a dougram playlist into my cytubes was four years previous, nearly to the day
>>
File: Doughed.jpg (49 KB, 384x732)
49 KB
49 KB JPG
>>
>>20860857
Which upscaler did you use?
>>
File: FIOGtgBaIAI5by0.jpg (206 KB, 2048x1536)
206 KB
206 KB JPG
>>
>>20863158
>Snarky comments aside, the whole point of the archive to have a LOSSLESS rip of the show on the internet,
So upload the DVD remux? Did that not cross your mind instead of creating upscales that invent information and detail?
>>
>>20868439
>>20872316
>>20869204
>>20873920
Nice

>>20868931
Yeah I think I remember them saying something like that.

>>20872322
I used Topaz Video Enhance AI with the Gaia CG algorithm.

>>20874008
Bro do you actually have brain damage? I uploaded both versions did having two links saying "https://archive.org/details/Dougram-480p" and "https://archive.org/details/Dougram-1080p" respectively or the fact I mentioned that I uploaded the 480p episodes as well as the upscales not make you think that maybe I already uploaded the 480p episodes...

I once heard a conspiracy theory about a concept called using your fucking eyes, serious mind blowing shit! You should do some research on it.
>>
>>20862474
>>20862349
>>20863158
Looking good.
>>
>>20865623
>>20868931
based helpful gentle/m/en

So are we thinking Milky Way or another galaxy entirely?
>>
>>20860857
Is this the anime the director not wanting to “restore” with blu-Ray or 4K and keeping to dvd to keep all the original aesthetic of it together the same?
>>
File: unknown.png (1.29 MB, 1432x956)
1.29 MB
1.29 MB PNG
>>20876074
Thanks
>>20876304
The milky way I imagine because when I looked up where the nearest exoplanets were to earth it said they were 4-5 light years away and that there are loads of them in our galaxy.

>>20876399
Nah there are plenty of Takahashi shows with Blu-Ray releases, you are getting confused with Dragon's Heaven which only ever had a DVD, LD, VHS release because as you said it would "ruin the aesthetic" or whatever the director said, even though it literally wouldn't lol.

I am gonna upscale Dragon's Heaven after I am done with Dougram, will probably post it on my main channel since it's just a one-off obscure OVA. (Photo is of an upscale my friend did)
>>
File: Rita.jpg (63 KB, 535x765)
63 KB
63 KB JPG
Frack.
>>
File: Daisy.jpg (88 KB, 760x1200)
88 KB
88 KB JPG
Nigger.
>>
>>20876749
>>20876971
Nice!
>>
>>20878297
Crinn forgot Right Arm day
>>
>>20878420
holy shit, I just noticed that kek
>>
>>20876704
FYI someone already did an Dragon's Heaven upscale a year or two ago; it was posted to nyaa but later got taken down iirc. I think I still have it on my hdd somewhere.
>>
>>20876704
I guess it makes sense for a planet with such developed Earth colonisation to be in the Milky Way.
>>
>>20874008
Blind fucking retard
>>
>>20878793
If you still have it then you should post it on archive.org or youtube or Nyaa again
>>
>>20878420
>>20878569
>Wank of The Sun
>>
>>
>>20876704
Many thanks for the info friend, just now have to figure out what the hell that one anime which had the historical chinese guy who thought he was jesus fighting a real historical samurai which added in earth dragons and other stupid shit was called to mostly fill up the mystery anime stuff in my mind
>>
File: 51sGGhKgADL.jpg (37 KB, 357x500)
37 KB
37 KB JPG
>>20884001
I absolutely love those deep see diver looking mechs, some people say they look goofy but honestly they actually do look like the actual deep sea suits people use so it fits in perfectly with the whole "real robot" aesthetic.

>>20884037
I have no fucking idea what that show could be, you should make a post on /a/ or something, someone out there might actually know and be able to tell you what it is.
>>
File: yaranaikacrinn.png (67 KB, 224x180)
67 KB
67 KB PNG
If only someone were to rip the scans of the manga off yahoo already. I'd definitely pay a group to translate it.
>>
>>20887021
I recall chatter that it machine translates decent? like "point your phone at it" levels of ghetto crabstick
>>
>>20878420
His right arm is in a higher position though?
>>
>>20881883
nobody suspects the left-handed coomer
>>
"Arab League Raps US, Israel For Massacre"

What did Takahashi mean by this?
>>
File: crinnshiro.jpg (35 KB, 640x480)
35 KB
35 KB JPG
>>20878420
Don't worry, he gets better
>>
>>20887718
I was laughing my ass off when I saw those 2 episodes. The Deloyer diet is some effective shit.
>>
>>20887707
It's from a real paper.
>>
>>20889826
https://viktor.eikman.se/review/fang-of-the-sun-dougram-1981/

Apparently the quote is question is about the Lebanon war in 1982, and they use the New York Post in some other episodes.
>>
>>20887707
>>20889826
>>20890420
>israel colors are blue and white
>Deloyer is a twin sun planet fighting enemies with a blue and white color scheme for their flag
>There's actual TWO six sided stars on the Deloyer flag
Somebody was telling someone something. Doesn't the Deloyer flag have a planet with a ring on it too or something?
>>
File: vE1VvVB.jpg (71 KB, 763x1090)
71 KB
71 KB JPG
>>20889826
>>20890420
Thank you for sharing this info with me, now some of the newspapers you see in the show make a little more sense.

>>20890820
I am not sure if anybody was trying to say anything specific but the show definitely is inspired by the Lebanon war by looks of it (or at least tries to make reference), I know the show was also inspired by The Battle of Algiers which is a war movie about the Algerian war of independence, never seen the movie or know much about the war it's set in but I have heard Takahashi is a big fan of it.
>>
File: E9LayzBVEAIo3BM.jpg (77 KB, 720x504)
77 KB
77 KB JPG
>>
>>20890820
>Deloyer conflict was actually over succulent tawook
>>
>>
File: 1634989374032.jpg (77 KB, 425x600)
77 KB
77 KB JPG
Thanks for your effort dude. More people that watch this show is always a blessing.
>>
>>20887718
By tapping into the secrets of Hokuto Shinken, Crinn is able to use the full and deadly potential of the human body.
>>
>>20890820
Funny enough, I always thought the Earth soldier's uniforms looked like the IDF's.
And got the feeling Deloyer's supposed to be kind of a 'Palestinian' placeholder
>>
>>20860857
Okay. I'm tired as shit and can't handle being played with right now or just misunderstanding things

English subbed Dougram at DVD quality? No more VHS rips?

Good lord.
>>
>>20863136
Fuck you. Who cares. You're already pirating other peoples work five ways. Just buy a damn external you baby.
>>
>>20903481
Good Lord what is happening in there?

>X Nebula
>>
>>20906931
I can easily imagine Lecoque being skinner in that scene
>>
Hey, OP, where did you get the Spanish subtitles from? Or did YouTube auto-translate them for you? I'm not sure this series has ever been fully subbed in Spanish before. Great job!
>>
Just wanted to post and say that OP is the /m/an of the month. Thanks a lot OP this is truly awesome! The world need more heroes like you these days.
>>
>>20903485
Logic like that is how stuff doesn't get downloaded, doesn't get stored for the longterm and then eventually gets lost.
But thanks for the input, anon.
>>
>>20907432
You sad bitch you have no idea what I have downloaded and stored.
>>
>>20908535
I know reading comprehension is hard but i wasn't speaking solely about you.
And if that is true then you should completely understand my point.
Saying 'hurrr just get another external drive' is retarded when it's going to be sitting next to 5 more.
>>
>>
OP here again

>>20902937
You're welcome man!

>>20903481
Yes and yes, you see every rip of the show including mine are based on the same DVD's but said DVD's are actually based on a tape master however the rip I made is lossless meanwhile the old X Nebula one is so compressed that it just sort of looks terrible and the "better" Bereke Scrubs release is still at a low as fuck bitrate and is denoised for some reason so it still just sort of doesn't look that good. (No offense to X Nebula, his work is greatly appreciated, the rip he used just looks like shit and same goes for Bereke).

>>20907344
The Spanish subtitles are actually done by a fan subbing group called "Lecock Bois", I couldn't find a fully Spanish subbed version of the show until I was able to get into contact with one of the people who worked on it, once I talked to him he sent all the files to me. He explained to me that X Nebula actually made Spanish subtitles for the first episode but never got around to the rest so that group just subbed the rest.

>>20907398
Thank you man!

>>20903485
>>20907432
>>20908535
>>20909416
>>20912443
/m/ bros I have a serious question, not just you guys in specific but everyone viewing this thread.

Has anyone here actually got around to downloading my archive yet? I see people arguing about how much space it takes up and what not but all I really want is for people to download a copy of this then make their own releases so that the show can be more widely spread across the internet.

Even if archives download speeds are pretty slow I would say it is worth just leaving your PC on overnight with the torrent open just so that someone else has a copy of the show in great quality, I also understand some people don't have as much hard drive space so I don't expect people to download all of it at once, even if you only download the interlaced DVD volumes and sub files that's fine.

I just don't want a good rip of this show to become lost media or something only I have.
>>
>>20913574
>Has anyone here actually got around to downloading my archive yet?
I am the 'learn to encode'/HD space anon and that was my core point.
If you want people to actually download your stuff you are going to have to meet them halfway. Regardless of your 'true lossless' argument. That is the reality of this type of thing.
Very few people, not enough to ensure longevity of the release, are going to archive it. Because it's 100 gigs for a upscale of a already niche show which has unaltered dvd rips at a 1/10 of the size.
While i don't mean to trash your efforts. At the end of the day as along as quality base rips exist someone can always do another upscale. Nothing irreplaceable is going to be lost.

And that is what you are fighting against with this kind of file size. This isn't a new argument or issue. By all means continue but understand the situation.
>>
File: fqwtmbr.png (1.13 MB, 1079x1200)
1.13 MB
1.13 MB PNG
>>20913829
Bro I understand the situation but I was just asking if anybody had gotten around to downloading it yet.
Also I think you are the one not understanding the situation the whole point ultimately is to just have a lossless rip available online, I just think a benefit of people having their hands on this is that they can make their own releases if they wanted to.

>Because it's 100 gigs for a upscale of a already niche show which has unaltered dvd rips at a 1/10 of the size.

I don't really understand what you are saying here are you saying the upscale is 100 gigs or the 480p lossless rip which will be used for the upscale???
The 480p episodes weigh 1.2 gigs and all together is roughly 90 gigs while each upscaled episode is 8gigs (which to be fair I don't expect a lot of people to download).

also
>unaltered dvd rips at a 1/10 of the size.
this is literally the reason why I made my own rip, the old X Nebula rip looks like shit and the Bereke rip looks just barely better, also they are not "unaltered", if the screen being a blocky artifact filled mess or just denoised to shit then sure I guess "unaltered" rips are out there...
>as along as quality base rips exist someone can always do another upscale.
Same thing goes for what you said here, the other rips look bad and if you upscale bad rips then it looks bad.

Although I actually might make a separate archive with more compressed episodes if people want that, I currently have a slightly more compressed version with hardcoded subtitles that I have copied to my PS3 and each file is roughly 300-400MBs. So I could just do a re-encode with the same settings but have the subtitles soft instead of hardcoded.

I admit that you make a point that not everyone will download the lossless rip, I just expect that some actually will and was just asking if anybody had.

Once I make the compressed archive I will post it here but if you say 300MB is too much for MuH hArDrIvE then you can seriously go fuck yourself lol.
>>
>>20913829
I don't mean to drag out the reply I was making with >>20913922
but for god sake don't try to lecture me about shit such as this, it's just irritating as fuck like telling me to "learn how to encode" like I don't already know how to or I hadn't already made it very clear I was sharing a lossless rip. Also do you seriously not think that I wouldn't know that not everyone has the hard drive space for stuff like this? Really?
>Nothing irreplaceable is going to be lost.
In case you weren't aware the DVD ISO that I made this rip from now has no seeders so if I had not made this rip then a great DVD rip would have been lost basically forever unless I had the money to go buy the rare and expensive DVD's.

But whatever man I will make the compressed archive soon just for the sake of people without as much hard drive space, I agree with you to some extent there but just don't act condescending as fuck or straight up misinterpret half of what I am saying.
>>
>>20913922
>>20913951
No no. I was a massive cunt about the whole thing and it snowballed. Finally breaking out of the mood in general.
Just ignore the whole conversation.
Great work.
>>
>>20914205
I could actually make a compressed version of my archive if you wanted though, I could start making encodes tomorrow and once I start the archive I could post it here like I said earlier.
>>
>>20912443
BABY YOU CAN TELL BY THE WAY I USE MY WALK I'M A WOMAN'S CA
>>
>>20861399
Is that Schonkopf from the 110ep OVA or from the Gaidens?
>>
>Page 10
>>
File: fang of the sun.jpg (151 KB, 640x427)
151 KB
151 KB JPG
Dougram bros stay winning
>>
>>20923545
Crinn looking /fa/
>>
>>20922568
NEVER

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.