[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/m/ - Mecha

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Opinions on this alpha version of this project's attempt to improve episode 16 (celluloid masters lost to damage before Renewal/HD release)? This is a combination of BD and pre-Renewal DVD sources, and Collector's Disc cel images for some still shots, with AI colour-correction applied using the cel images as references, and AI upscaling/sharpening on the DVD-sourced footage (mostly for dark scenes like the infamous demon-Asuka shot). This is not a final version- some shots look better than ever before, but some have heavy DNR gloop or artefacting from the AI tools used; I'm going to go through this versus the pure BD and DVD sources shot by shot to see which source looks best for each shot now, and then we'll assemble a cut that uses the best-looking version of each shot and then carry out any minor colour and jitter corrections necessary after that. I hate overuse of DNR as much as the next non-insane person but in the case of a deprecated source like this I think the experiment is justified so long as it's not suggested to be in any way definitive, just another option.

I think that, thankfully, the two major Leliel scenes in particular (the first assault and Eva Unit 01 breaking out) are among the scenes that benefit the most from this treatment, the latter especially.

Have a look and see what you think: https://mega.nz/file/GioQVBzb#AwedwGN9zZYGLI31lVx-KHspIJxnq5Yd-MdWV6EQVAI

Had to compress the OP image to fuck to fit file size so it's pretty useless, here's the full-resolution comparison image: https://www.dropbox.com/s/pme0pad8ngutbyp/episode%2016%20comparison%20image%201.png?dl=0

Set zoom to 100% to compare pixel-to-pixel.
>>
>>20411792
One thing I've noticed straight off the bat is the DVD-upscaled footage would better match the visibility of Asuka's face in the DVD source with a slight brightness boost but I don't know whether it's more accurate to the original intention or not, what do you think?: https://www.dropbox.com/s/po9v5fql0jp2l1n/possible%20brightness%20upgrade.png?dl=0
>>
Here's what Zeruel_84 has to say:

"Hi. If you’ve watched through NGE I’m sure you’ve noticed the sudden drop in quality for episode 16. This is because the master film was either lost or destroyed, and as a result we will never have that episode remastered in HD. However, While the Sephirotic’s release of the 2015 bluray has many flaws, it’s a stable base for a restoration to take place. I’ve been working on and off for the latter half of this year on editing the bluray release to be somewhat close to what a proper remaster would look like. While most of the work is color correction, I’ve also replaced footage with other high quality media where possible. The infamous scene where Asuka’s face is lost in the darkness has been replaced with upscaled DVD footage, with superior upscaling to what previous episode 16 restorer pwnsweet used.

Chart that shows my color correction compared to Sephirotic's release of the BD, and the cel reference used.

The colors in my attempt are referenced from high quality scans of the original cels (the Misato above is referenced from EoE, where the cel appears for 1 frame). While they aren’t exactly like how a proper remaster's colors would look, they are mostly accurate to the best references we’ll ever have. The process isn’t like usual color correction, but instead I use a program that generates LUTs based on a source and reference image. While not perfect, this allows for more accurate color matching than any other method. Big thanks to Sephirotic for doing CC to the 2015 bluray and giving me a bit of a boost in terms of base colors.

Pan of Unit 00, constructed with multiple sources. Colors not final.

In certain shots, upscaled cel scans/other high quality media can be used instead of the bluray. In this shot, the front half of unit 00 has been cut out from a matching frame in episode 23, and combined with the background/back half from the ep 16 bluray."

cont.
>>
File: test.jpg (750 KB, 4320x3461)
750 KB
750 KB JPG
Guy who made this here, this may be somewhat rough but it's a start. If you think there's something that needs editing I'm interested in hearing it. I'm sure it needs a fuck ton of work but I'm in it for the long haul.
>>
>>20411823
cont.

"If you're interested in this, I've created two comparison albums for you to take a look at:
https://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/19240
https://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/19242 "

"This is in no way final, I'm sure it's rough in certain areas but I will continue to work on this unless something unfortunate happens to me.

The reason I'm making this post is because I'm genuinely curious as to how this looks, so if you could take a look at the screenshots or even look at it in motion and give some feedback, I'd appreciate it. If you have any questions I'd also be happy to answer them. Thanks for reading."
>>
making the colors "better" doesn't automatically mean it's a "restoration" if that's not what the original looked like
>>
>>20411856
Honestly I chose the name 'Restoration' for the project because of the Christian sense, not the archival sense of the world
Also working on a gigantic Excel document of all the major past translations line-by-line side-by-side to aid a more definitive amalgamation as part of it
>>
the eva subreddit is cancer and full of netflix newfags
that being said, I'll watch the episode now to see if I can provide any useful feedback
>>
>>20411792
I'm not autistic enough to nitpick such miniscule, negligible differences.
>>
File: 3.png (3.78 MB, 4320x1302)
3.78 MB
3.78 MB PNG
>>20411903
I agree, but with /a/'s eva threads gone my feedback options are limited.

>>20411939
Fair enough, though to me the differences are noticeable.
>>
>>20411947
Wait why the fuck are they different
>>
>>20411951
The 2015 bluray is pale, but that shot is properly remastered in episode 20. I use the frame from episode 20 match the colors onto the bluray.
>>
>>20411947
hmm I can't say there were many shots or scenes where I went "wow that's noticeably better", but it's been a while since I've rewatched the show so I might not remember how supposedly "bad" the episode looks compared to this reversion
I will say however, the static panned scenes with super crisp clarity and asuka in pic related were a bit jarring with the sudden change in quality, but I guess that's kind of what the aim of this project was, adding in better quality and touching up particular scenes where it was possible
not a fan of how bright the reds were in some scenes, mainly unit 02 during the daytime scenes in the city and misato in headquarters, I think making some scenes too bright removes some of the detail you guys were trying to restore
>>
>>20411794
>I don't know whether it's more accurate to the original intention or not

I agree. I can see more clearly the details in the brightened version, but not sure what the original intent is, to have it be that perceptible or not
>>
>>20411792
NegroAsuka
>>
File: 4.jpg (331 KB, 4320x1302)
331 KB
331 KB JPG
>>20412155
Yeah the jarring quality difference between the high quality images and the BD is something that's come up, and it looks like I'll be removing some of them. I do think some should stay though, like the pan of unit 01 with the trail of blood. Again the red brightness is also something that's been brought to my attention, so I'll have to look into adjusting the saturation a bit there. Thanks for the input.

>>20412157
My guess is that the intended vision of that scene is somewhere in between the DVD and the Bluray (like what I've done). I feel like if they intended the black crushing it would also be present in the archival DVD release. Some scenes with the black crush are just obviously not intentional though, there's a couple shots of maya where her hair disappears into the shadows on her chair.
>>
>>20411792
Demon-Asuka still kinda seems too dark
>>
I'll take the original JP video any day of week.

Anybody remember that 0083 fan restoration?
>>
File: 5.jpg (597 KB, 4272x2568)
597 KB
597 KB JPG
>>20412379
Well if you go too bright, people say it's supposed to be dark. If you go too dark, people say it's crushing the detail. I tried to go for a middle ground but there's really no winning.

>>20412396
Mind offering any specific criticisms?

Also here's a test of colors for Unit 02, now testing using episode 8 as a color reference since it seems that I went too bright on the reds.
>>
>>20412421
>Well if you go too bright, people say it's supposed to be dark.
I feel like those are probably people whose first watch was with the crushed blacks (like me) who are trying to cope with having seen it "wrong" during their first watch
>>
>>20411792
Zeruel's black lines are ruined in the bottom right, no the whites.
>>
>>20412424
this
>>
>>20412424
I've seen people say it was a direct choice by Anno when they did the renewal DVDs, kek.

>>20412457
Not really sure what you're talking about to be honest. If you're talking about the black lines on Unit 02, there may be an issue with the reds overpowering the linework which I'm going to try to work on. I've also noticed other shots where the linework isn't as dark as it should be, but I'm not really sure what can be done there.
>no the whites
Also not sure what this means.
>>
>>20412480
>I've seen people say it was a direct choice by Anno when they did the renewal DVDs, kek.
That level of stupid is physically painful
>>
>>20412396
It's just a fan project, it's not meant to replace the actual episode I suppose.
>>20412424
>I feel like those are probably people whose first watch was with the crushed blacks (like me) who are trying to cope with having seen it "wrong" during their first watch
I don't think there's anything wrong with that scene, in the newer versions it looks like ass yes but in the OP it looks better in the before image, it's not a cope to be satisfied with what's officially available.
>>20412213
Misato's highlights look too pink there, in the color reference pic they are bluish.
>>
>>20412511
>but in the OP it looks better in the before image
That's my point
>>
File: misato.png (1.55 MB, 1440x1080)
1.55 MB
1.55 MB PNG
>>20412511
Any better? And yeah it's in no way a replacement for a proper remaster, but after enough time my goal is to be somewhat better than Sephirotic's release.
>>
Sephritotic's release has a lot of problems (which believe me, I've told it to the man himself in detail) but myself and a couple other anons at least convinced him of one fact, the color on the laserdiscs are the closest approximation of the broadcast colors you can find. They'll even be closer than the 35mm interpositive of the show.
If you are looking at digitally remastered footage on the dvd or the bd to gauge "original" intent you are laboring under a false assumption.
>>
>>20412628
Two things. Firstly, I admittedly haven't seen them myself but aren't the laserdiscs generally the same colors as the Archive of Evangelion DVDs? If you can show that the laserdiscs have the best colors out of everything I'd be interested in seeing that. Secondly, broadcast colors aren't always the best colors. Yes the Archive of Evangelion DVDs look like how it was broadcast back in 1995, but the colors of the other episodes are nothing like the clean bluray remaster.
>>
>>20411792
Did you ever fix the End of Evangelion movie? I remember some anon making a thread and taking on that project. The changes anon made were so much better. Especially the color correction they did.
>>
>>20412537
Yeah that's better.
>>
>>20412959
That's also in the works as part of it, yeah. Other anon may want to do a standalone release of his episode 16 first if my subs take another full year or so for example, but at the end of it what I hope to release is a torrent with
-NGE 1-26 Archives, 2.0 pre-Renewal audio + new subs
-NGE 1-24' Renewal, 5.1 audio + new subs + optional colour-corrected video tracks on those episodes Sephirotic did work on copied over from his release + optional new reworked episode 16 video track (i.e. multi- video stream inside .mkvs) + optional pre-Renewal DVD video track + ADV dub and subtitles
-Revival Of Evangelion + new subs + optional new reworked video track for the EoE portion + ADV dub and subtitles
-Bonus: NGE Renewal 21-26 with new subs etc., Death & Rebirth with new subs etc., After The End audio drama picsub copied over from the BrikHaus release, OSTs in lossless, PDF notes with brief history of the IP etc. to try and dispel some of the Evageeks nonsense that's accumulated due to their monopoly over western eva fandom over the years e.g. show ran out of budget near the end
Using raw BD/DVD muxes as the default video tracks; it'll lead to big file sizes but people can always re-mux with just the bits they want to keep to reduce them

This should collate the best possible range of options for watching NGE with the highest-quality elements available, to give future generations of western fans the best first-time experience with the series given its weak treatment in its recent western re- distribution
>>
File: artifacts.png (117 KB, 553x426)
117 KB
117 KB PNG
>>20411829
some of the lines that are in-between solid red spots seem too light
pls tell me that this doesn't represent the final encoding
It may not be noticeable depending on the screen contrast I think. It shows up on 2/3 of my monitors
>>
File: Fuyu.png (325 KB, 680x377)
325 KB
325 KB PNG
>>20412959
Yeah that's in the works as well, though I've been forced to restart the project and decided to try a different sharpening method. Take a look here: https://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/19093/
I'm impressed at what it's able to do to some of the blurriest shots, personally. I'll probably release these on their own when they're ready, and if people like the new subs Restorationanon is doing I'll do a release with him when those are ready.

>>20413213
I can't see anything weird with the linework but I definitely see the compression artifacts. Yeah this is in no way final and things like that will eventually be ironed out before the final release.
>>
>>20412480
>Not really sure what you're talking about to be honest.
Look at the lines on the white building. The black lines. They're barely visible.
>>no the whites
>Also not sure what this means.
no = on
The black lines on the white building. Sorry. I should have proofread my post before sending it.
>>
>>20412480
>>20413429
I hope this helps, and that I'm not retarded/color blind or something.
>>
File: fixd.png (1.27 MB, 1080x900)
1.27 MB
1.27 MB PNG
>>20411792
>>
Why not ESRGAN? I'm trying to restore an old anime film with it and the results are neat.
>>
>>20413876
nice meme
>>20411947
/a/'s eva threads are were just shipfags and schizos anyway
>>
>>20413876
ESRGAN is precisely what he's using
>>
>>20411792
left is better
>>
File: mouths.jpg (28 KB, 831x316)
28 KB
28 KB JPG
>>20413429
>>20413433
Maybe it's a monitor thing? The line work is visible on both of them.

>>20414080
I've found ERSGAN to (in certain areas) have better results to what Pwnsweet used. See pic rel.

>>20414183
Any specific reasons why?
>>
>>20414273
>Any specific reasons why?
You can actually see Asuka face for example. And eyes now don't glow in darkness as blatantly.
Colors are way too oversaturated on the right, making it worse.
Other comparisons not much better, original is overall superior while right is obviously tuned for sake of someone's personal taste.
>>
>>20414283
>original is overall superior while right is obviously tuned for sake of someone's personal taste
This, I don't understand whether it's a project to pull out more detail into the episode, or make it look "better" while completely ignoring the episode the way it already is and released, with the notion that "something" may have happened along the way and the creators didn't really want the episode to look that way.
If the former then hell yeah but the latter is just not worth bothering with, some people will like bright colors and overly saturated scenes without understanding composition or color theory (not that I do or I'd be giving more helpful input) and others will want something completely different.
It's still a cool project so I'm not trying to shit on it or anything.
>>
>>20414283
>You can actually see Asuka face for example.
Asuka's face is visible in both images. If you're saying the brightness should be upped for that shot then I can do that.
>Colors are way too oversaturated
If Unit 02 is the issue I posted a test with more subdued colors here >>20412421

>>20414314
The goal of this project is to eventually create the best possible version of episode 16. I'm not just going "hey I like the color purple better, so this shot should be purple," I'm referencing the officially released cel scans.
>completely ignoring the episode the way it already is and released, with the notion that "something" may have happened along the way and the creators didn't really want the episode to look that way.
It's a fact that the master was lost/destroyed, episode 16 is not supposed to look like how it's shown in the 2015 BD release.
>>
>>20414314
yea, there is nothing wrong with personal edits to suit whatever someone likes for whatever reason, but it's clearly not something to call as "restoration", since it doesn't involve original film, just tweaks for sake of tweaks via color picker.
>>20414416
>Asuka's face is visible in both images. If you're saying the brightness should be upped for that shot then I can do that.
"visible" can be a lot of things. Your edit lost all subtleness in colors there was.
Just because you edit single frame to someone's else liking, it won't create any "restoration". Just call it "Anon's upscaled version" and no one will bite the eye.
>If Unit 02 is the issue I posted a test with more subdued colors here
left is still better. Honestly, good luck with whatever this project entails for you, but you created this thread for feedback.
Here is your feedback, take it or leave it.
>>
>>20414451
Not that anon but you're still not articulating yourself clearly, is your problem that Asuka's face is too visible in the newer version or not visible enough?
>>
>>20414451
>but you created this thread for feedback. Here is your feedback, take it or leave it.
In any case I appreciate that you've taken the time to respond and give criticism.

>Just because you edit single frame
It's not a single frame though, OP provided the link to the full episode.
>>
>>20414459
>Not that anon but you're still not articulating yourself clearly, is your problem that Asuka's face is too visible in the newer version or not visible enough?
I bet I don't, I'm horrible with words and being ESL doesn't help either.
Face is not as visible as on original, while eyes are too visible.
When you deal with colors there is way a lot of subtleness everywhere, one color-shift can make all house of cards fall apart.
>>20414520
>It's not a single frame though, OP provided the link to the full episode.
Let's be fair, hardly anyone watches that and just looks at comparison frames.
>>
>>20414273
>Maybe it's a monitor thing? The line work is visible on both of them.
I just checked on my phone, and it appears that it's a monitor problem.
Sorry about this.
>>
>>20414609
Well you've learned an entire new language, good on you anon. Like I said earlier that shot in particular is really hard to work on, because you can't really satisfy both the light and darkfags.
>Let's be fair, hardly anyone watches that and just looks at comparison frames.
Yeah this is true, just the way you put it made it seem like you were implying that I only did select frames.

>>20414613
No problem.
>>
bump
>>
bump
>>
Fascinating stuff! From whats been posted so far, I have higher hopes now that Episode 16 can be made made more beautiful than ever before. Its a shame the negative situation happened to it, because 16 has some incredible imagery. I wish you the best!
>>
bump
>>
>>20411823
>>20411792
How much you all wanna bet the original print for OG ep16 actually still exists, they are just that dumb and incompetent to care to look for it, member the prints for Shojo Tsubaki and A-Ko?
>>
>>20423406
It doesn't. You are comparing shitty, forgotten OVAs with one of the most profitable franchises in the world.
>>
>>20423406
Like all those anime cases where "it burned in a fire" the materials are only lost forever until theyre not.
>>
>>20417553
>>20421001
>>20422854
stop bumping this warpsharp oversaturated shit and let it die
>>
>>20423415
>shitty forgotten franchises
Spotted the Evatard.
>>
>>20423962
I agree that the thread should've died already but why the fuck would I use warpsharp? Call it shit all you want but at least try not to spam buzzwords that don't apply here.
>>
>>20423962
Screw you buddy. I want this anon to succeed. Episode 16 and EoE need someone willing to fix all the flaws. This anon has my support. It's one of the most unique threads around right now
>>
File: 1284322692111.jpg (277 KB, 640x480)
277 KB
277 KB JPG
>>20412421
i dont mean to shitpost, but uh... we are on 4chon
>>
>>20424362
seconding this
>>
>>20411792
Colors on the right are shit. Just look at the gradient loss on the building.
>>
>>20411792
So is episode 16 completely lost to time? What's the story behind it? Any hope of finding it in the future?
>>
>>20427234
>Now, concerning some of the scenes in Episode Sixteen and the previews, the original 16mm negatives had become lost from the development laboratory in the past. Thus, the telecine process was done from a 35mm internegatlve, but through last spurt color work through color correction and digital remastering, the footage has been reproduced to approximate the original.
-Platinum Booklets - Renewal of the Footage
>>
keep going, op
>>
>>20427302
>>20427234
I don't remember the source but I vaguely remember reading in some publicity material or other (might have been a third-party article during the announcement of the 2015 BDs) that it was specifically water damage that did for the original negatives. There was an internegative used for the Renewal DVDs closer to the quality on the BDs but still slightly better & that was literally misplaced/couldn't be found by 2015.
>>
So if we were to remove resolution from the equation, what's the best Eva has ever looked on a home release? Laserdisc?
>>
>>20429944
If you search Desuarchive there are numerous people saying this, none cite a source though.

>>20429970
Probably the the Blu-ray still, the colors are great compared to the other releases.

Also since you fags keep bumping this thread I may as well post this, made a custom ERSGAN model for upscaling eva DVD material to look more like the cels/BD, I'm quite impressed at what it did to this frame from the broadcast version of ep 22 (it even did color correction, none of that was my doing, though I did add grain.) https://imgsli.com/ODQyNzk
>>
>>20429970
BDs without question, apart from episode 16 for which the answer is likely the pre-Renewal DVDs from ~1997
>>
>>20427302
So if episode 16 was misplaced... You are saying there is still a chance to find it?
>>
>>20430707
Fat chance.
>>
>>20430707
situation like this lost probably means accidentally trashed with some other junk reels. it's not a situation like a lost silent film or something like that
>>
>>20431144
maybe somebody just lifted the reels and they show up in south america in a hundred years like Metropolis
>>
keep going, op
>>
bump for interesting thread

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.