[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/m/ - Mecha

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: l-intro-1632937893.jpg (226 KB, 1600x897)
226 KB
226 KB JPG
I just finished SSSS Dynazenon. I loved Gridman as it was a perfect throwback to the toku shows that I loved so much in my childhood. And Dynazenon, while not exactly bad, was weaker in every single aspect. How did they turn out such a weak sequel?
>>
Trigger is shit.
>>
>>20409479
You're crazy, Dynazenon is by far the stronger of the two.
>>
>>20409479
>>20409481
>>20409495
I liked both
>>
Dyna was infinitely better than shitman. Better animation, better mech designs, better characters, vastly more interesting plot.
Never watched toku, don't care.
>>
File: Dynazenon cat fight.jpg (1.19 MB, 1588x1379)
1.19 MB
1.19 MB JPG
>>20409479
>was weaker in every single aspect.
No way. The main cast is better here with some proper motivation and is involved with the fights. The gattai sequences have more flair and action going on.
Dynazenon's plot while interesting with its symbolism, is a bit incomplete and leaves some major things in the air (Like the person who dropped the pearls). This was all because the staff knew they were getting a sequel so they didn't have to conclude every single thing like the first anime.
If you're not baiting, then please elaborate on what was weaker in everything. I agree that some areas are weak but not the whole thing.
>>
>>20409479
Nah, SSSS.DYNAZENON went the hardest
https://youtu.be/ANgUy3qR84E
>>
>>20409479
They weren't spread their focus to far. Gridman was more focused and benefited from giving focus to a smaller portion of the cast. Dynazenon tries to spread that same level of focus to a wider cast but without changing the pacing of how they did it in Gridman so noting feels satisfying.
>>
>>20409479
I honestly thought Dynazenon was better polished, and had better characters and writing, but in the end Gridman was the better of the two. Not sure how that happened.
>>
>>20409528
For me, Dynazenon was a letdown, because it just never reached the high points of Gridman. While I am not a big fan of the main cast in either show, I kinda got annoyed with the main cast of Dynazenon all being defined by one single thing (the neet is a neet, the main girl has a dead sister, the mc is the mc). Not saying that Gridman was the pinnacle of character writing, but so much happened in that show, that the main cast didn't bother me (and Sho's realization that despite being an ultraman fan, he can't enjoy the battles, because people die in their fights, was much more thematically relevant, than the neet guy trying to find a job). The villains are a huge step down. Gridman had a nice lineup of villains. Alexis, Akane and Anti, kept the show going. The Kaiju eugenicists were extremely boring and pretentious. Their vague bullshit about Kaiju being the future or whatever, got old really fast, and they were both bland as characters, and harmless as villains. Hell, Anti was the best thing about season 1, where he was both the rival, and had a character arc. Gridknight just shows up, acts cool, gets his ass kicked, and combines with the others. That's it.
Actually, the entire show is vague. I don't know if they have some Sequel planned, that explains everything, but as it stands, the show is so vague, I find it hard to care. I didn't care about Gauma at all, because they barely explained anything about where he is from, what was up with his betrayal, and who that princess was. And why should I give a damn about a character like that? The mystery is Gridman is actually mysterious and gets explored. (1/2)
>>
>>20409653
The action was a lot better in Gridman. There is much less cgi, the action is smoother, and the Kaiju designs are a lot more memorable. I especially love the episode where Gridman fights Anti and the ufo Kaiju in the weird looking sky. That was an awesome set piece. Also the fight with the Anonymous Kaiju, was awesome (loved the design that referenced some of the cheapest toku suits ever made, eye-holes and all), as was Anti's face turn. And the finale hit hard, and had it's "FUCK YEAH!" moment, which is so memorable, I will never forget it. The finale of Dynazenon was very forgettable. Also, Gridman focused more on civilians getting the short end of the stick, from all the fights, while Dyna took more of a PG approach, and only once focused on someone being the victim of a Kaiju attack.
Basically on every front, Dynazenon is weaker, from less memorable/underdeveloped characters, boring villains, vague backstory, weaker action scenes and barely any memorable moments to speak off, Dynazenon just left me cold. As a Sequel, it should have gone to New places, and tried bigger things. But it came off as more childish, sterile, and safe, than the show before it. It felt rushed. How do you rush a 12 episode anime original? You know how many episodes you have, and how much stuff you can fit in it. Gridman had 12 episodes, and it told a complete and enjoyable story, all the while being an entertaining.
These are my honest thoughts. I just finished Dynazenon, and I was absolutely let down. (2/2)
>>
File: FFAgATVacAAqtGF.jpg (692 KB, 2272x1535)
692 KB
692 KB JPG
>>
>>20409528
>The main cast is better
No and every time some retard says this they always get proven wrong
>>
Animated toku is shit. Animation and toku, how they're made and what they are, they're diametrically opposed to one another.
Even extremely basic action sequences out of the 70's are a fucking nightmare to animate on a week over week schedule. The two aren't given to mixing.
>>
>>20409529
Lyrics ruin it.
>>
>>20409479
>How did they turn out such a weak sequel?
Most sequel seasons are shitter, anime.. tv.. whatever
>>
Really, it was kind of a case of everyone having too much going on which spread focus too thin. You had whatever the hell Yomogi's family situation was, Yume trying to figure out what happened to her sister, Koyomi and his PTSD and Gauma's baggage over his past life. It keeps trying to pull in so many directions but ultimately either didn't resolve them or did so weakly.

That and the Eugenicists were FAR weaker villains than Akane and Alexis. Had we gotten more of their backstory sooner, that could have been resolved but just seeing them bum around for 10 eps really killed any impact they had.
>>
>>20410908
>You had whatever the hell Yomogi's family situation was,
They dropped that after the first episode.
>>
>>20410908
>You had whatever the hell Yomogi's family situation was, Yume trying to figure out what happened to her sister, Koyomi and his PTSD and Gauma's baggage over his past life. It keeps trying to pull in so many directions but ultimately either didn't resolve them or did so weakly.
Another issue is that all the plotlines you mentioned, sound really disconnected from the main narrative. Think about it. Take the Dynazenon and Kaiju parts out of this show, and you have a plot for some slice of life drama. Or take the character stories out of the Kaiju parts, and replace them with literally anything else, and it still works. In Gridman, the main cast was involved in a mystery/struggle against Akane, which means the Kaiju portion and the human portion of the story, was linked. Take one out, and the other falls apart.
>>
File: 10-1200x1200.jpg (132 KB, 1200x1200)
132 KB
132 KB JPG
>>
>>20411264
>Another issue is that all the plotlines you mentioned, sound really disconnected from the main narrative.
They really were. Like to the point where the show had to use the illusion Kaiju as a quick and dirty way to wrap some up.
>>
>>20411264
The "main narrative" of Dynazenon is the character drama. Unlike traditional toku where the lesson of the day is learned in the slice of life bit to be applied in the big stupid robot fight, Dynazenon reverses it and has the lessons learned in big stupid robot fights drive the characters forward in their real lives.
Yomogi realises his troubles are frankly pretty insignificant and builds a second family away from his mother and stepdad-to-be, Yume gains a support network and breaks out of a cycle of self-destructive behaviour that's similar to how her sister died, Koyomi finally gets over his old crush and starts trying again, and Chise gets a friend who will protect her no matter what.
>>
>>20411459
The problem with that approach is that you end up with the Two Rabbits dilemma where trying to have both doesn't strengthen the ideas but hollows them.
>>
>>20411459
>Yomogi realises his troubles are frankly pretty insignificant
Then why was he even a part of dynazenon to begin with instead of Chise who has actual issues.
>>
>>20411473
fuck off duel
>>
>>20410616
>No and every time some retard says this they always get proven wrong
>No u, I'm not going to elaborate
Tell something about Yuta vs Yomogi.
I can at least tell you that Yomogi has issues with his mom seeing another man and his biological father no longer with him much. Sure he's not really that deep but Yuta's character begins and ends with him being Gridman and the potential love interest of Akane in the real world. Utsumi actually had some nice development but he and Rikka basically do nothing battle even though they had a perfect setup of relaying a strategy during a battle but they just subvert by having Utsumi give one bad take.
I'll elaborate more on the Dyna cast below.
>>20409653
>>20409656
Yeah, I totally agree that the fights were not as interesting or memorable in the Kaiju department. I can distinctly remember every kaiju in SSSS.Gridman but I can't say for most of Dynazenon. They did use a lot more CGI than I would like.

Though I disagree about characterization. Koyomi isn't just a neet but a guy who was salty about missing his chance with a girl. He clings to some hope that she'll just leave her husband for him but that's unrealistic. Yume expects that there has to be someone at fault for Yume's death and that life just can't be simply taken away by accidents. Chise is actually undeveloped so I'll give you that. Gauma and the vague history of the eugenicists are meant to parallel clinging on to the past. Although Gauma wants to find and reunite with the princess, he's not in a rush in so that he can't live in modern-day society. The Eugnecists all cling to the past and keep their grudge to this day showing that they are not willing to let go of their revenge and make new bonds with other people except for kaiju. The vagueness is meant to say that their past doesn't matter that much which while frustrating to people who want to know more, is supposed to parallel to the Dyna crew that they, in turn, shouldn't cling too heavily to their own.
>>
>>20409479
> Dynazenon, while not exactly bad, was weaker in every single aspect.
How? It was the show that actually used its whole cast.
In Gridman nobody had any significant characterization or arcs outside of Yuta, Akane, gridknight, and The other girl.
Dynazenon gave all the characters some development and story focus even if for some it was minor.
>>
>>20409481
I agree, nothing good came from them since Inferno Cop.
>>
>>20411514
>Yume's death
I meant her sister, Kano. Whoops.
I do wanna say that I like the first anime better overall but I don't look at Dynazenon as a complete disappointment. It's a lot of showing through visual symbolism. Like I had friends not know that Yomogi's friend had a crush on him because it's only shown through visuals and never spoken about. This show has lots of that stuff like Yume getting a basketball sticker at the end of the show and we know Yomogi likes to play that by the pictures in his room and the ED. Dynazenon packs its characters through subtle visuals. The umbrellas in Koyomi's episode with the manager lady and the umbrellas of his and the Eugnecists lady speak words without saying anything explicitly.
Gridman didn't have a lot of those moments, but they make up for other cool scenes like the dream episode.
My point again is that Dynazenon is not an overall downgrade, there are things that I genuinely like better but I do agree that SSSS.Gridman is a much more solid and complete package because they didn't know that they were ever getting a sequel while Dynazenon had a sequel announcement so they didn't have to answer everything in one season. I hope my rambling can at least make you understand why others feel that way and you don't have to necessarily agree with it.
>>
A thing I really, really loved was the different approach of the two shows. Dynazenon wasn't a carbon copy going bigger, as sequels often are. Instead it was playing themes out in different ways and orders.

It's like ALIEN and ALIENS. Ocean's 11 and Ocean's 12. You're fine to make arguments in either direction... but both productions are dope in different ways.
>>
>>20411514
>>20411550
Still, even if we say that Dynazenon has a stronger core cast than Gridman, it still doesn't change the fact, that we are dealing with some Mari Okada level of shallow and basic bitch melodrama. This whole thing gave me a Kiznaiver vibe. Maybe it's not as edgy or melodramatic, but it's still about the most basic characters, with the most basic arcs, that you can do in anime. Nothing new was done here, no risks were taken. The difference is that even if the main trio of Gridman was kinda flat, everything around them, was so fun and interesting, that their blandness didn't stand out. With Dynazenon, the only distraction from the blandness of the cast, is the somewhat okay action. I am a huge fan of well written and deep character stories, but Dynazenon offers nothing of value.
>>
>>20409653
>and Sho's realization that despite being an ultraman fan, he can't enjoy the battles, because people die in their fights,
This sounds like it's meant to be a backhand directed at the presumably toku-loving audience that mainly exists to make people looking for "deconstruction"s in all of their niche entertainment happy. Please tell me it isn't.
>>
>>20411799
>I am a huge fan of well written and deep character stories, but Dynazenon offers nothing of value.
Well, maybe not to us who have seen stories about moving on from the past. I at least appreciate that Yume's arc with Kano is dealing with the fact that you can't put blame on someone for accidental death. Many stories in fiction have people's death be caused by some antagonistic force but Dynazenon says that accidents happen. I know Dynazenon isn't the first to make this point (hell even 86 touches on it this season), but I appreciate that it gave its characters an active role over the Gridman trio who were just waiting around for the most part until 2nd gave Yuta the info dump and Akane confronted them. Though you could argue that the Dynacrew just waited around for the most part too when it came to the kaiju conflicts but that because they were more personally involved in their own lives instead which is weird on the surface but is meant to be a reflection that we take personal issues of the issues of other people's quarrel (albeit using the kaiju, as the means of this, is extreme and a bit silly). I won't say that it's great, but I feel a better connection to the dynacrew than the gridman alliance even if it's just melodrama with a foreseeable outcome.
Though Akane was what really held Gridman's story and intrigue, which that element was missing in Dynazenon even though the history of Gauma and the Eugnecists could've filled that role but was barely touched on to make a point (which is a shame for people who already saw the point coming miles ahead).
>Gridman was kinda flat, everything around them, was so fun and interesting, that their blandness didn't stand out
This sounds like you have a problem with the direction of the show more than the characters themselves. The director chose to focus on the cast than the mystery of Gauma and the Eugnecists, unlike Gridman which focused on Akane and the mystery behind how it works.
>>
>>20411872
>but is meant to be a reflection that we take personal issues of the issues of other people's quarrel
meant to say that we take personal issues over the issues of others.
>>
>>20411514
>I can at least tell you that Yomogi has issues with his mom seeing another man and his biological father no longer with him much.
...because the show literally tells you this outside that he has no character and even the writers agree that "hey your problem isn't that interesting so you're just going to exist to support Yume now and that's it".

>but he and Rikka basically do nothing battle even though they had a perfect setup of relaying a strategy during a battle but they just subvert by having Utsumi give one bad take.

I don't see this as a problem at all because that wasn't the point of the show. Utsumi and Rika existed to keep Yuta going and through the fights they grew as people not unlike the OG Gridman crew. The Dynazenon cast were involved more but not once did I believe that anyone outside Yomogi was useful and Yume just seem entirely detached from it all the time.

>Gauma

Is also underdeveloped because his story is left unfinished and whatever ties he had with the Eugenics is poorly implemented so all you get from it is the 10th pisode and that's it. I'll say he suffers the most because the show makes it seem he would have been way more important than what he turned out and I don't feel this way at the Gridman cast because the main players (Rikka, Utsumi, Akane) all got their arcs tied up in a bow. SSSS Gridman's plot was tightly written because the staff had no knowledge that it would eve get a sequel so there was no holding back by Dynazenon feels like a prelude to something much bigger and it was obviously made with a continuation in mind hence why the last episode is rushed and unsatisfying.
>>
>>20411872
>The director chose to focus on the cast than the mystery of Gauma and the Eugnecists,
Which they failed because Gauma's character is underdeveloped and the Eugnecists are complete jokes.
>>
>>20411904
I honestly don't know if knowing that you will eventually get a sequel, gives you the right to turn out a half baked story, that we have to sit with for at least 2-3 years, if not more. Look at something like Empire Strikes Back. They knew they were getting to finish the trilogy later, yet they still turned out a movie that to this day is praised as one of the best star wars movies. Maybe the next SSSS show will blow everyone's socks off with it's writing, or maybe it will suck. But we can't just give this shows vague and lazy writing (I am willing to bet anything that the writers still have no idea about Gauma's and the Eugnecists story, and they just left it vague because they thought they'll wing it later on), based on a potential schrodinger's sequel. What if the sequel is just another story about a group of misfits fighting Kaiju, with Gridnight there to give it some continuity?
>>
File: file.png (567 KB, 1280x720)
567 KB
567 KB PNG
I associated with this Koyomi so much. He's such a well written character. I too had my spell of neetness to become a wagie. I feel like I can connect with all of Dynazenon's cast better than Gridmans. Gridman might have had some been better in the final act but Dyanzenon was just over all better. The music, characters, all of it was at a constant high quality while Gridman had more moments that were stellar it had some dull moments.
>>
>>20411904
>...because the show literally tells you this
Not explicitly, which I can appreciate.
>"hey your problem isn't that interesting so you're just going to exist to support Yume now and that's it".
Because solving the cause of a potential suicide case is more interesting than a boy throwing a fit over his new dad and being a workaholic to fulfill some man-of-the-house type shit.
>I don't see this as a problem at all because that wasn't the point of the show.
You don't have to, but others liked how Koyomi and other characters were part of the action. They also had their own active goals which gave them some intrigue for some people. Rikka is probably the closest to having her own active goal midway through the series.
>not once did I believe that anyone outside Yomogi was useful
The guy was the only one piloting a combinable mech, of course, he was going to be more useful. The gattai scenes are just the usual symbol of teamwork. It also makes sense the one time they lose was because everyone was dealing with the low end of their problems. Utsumi and Rikka barely affect how Gridman would fight most of the time.

>Gauma is also underdeveloped because his story is left unfinished and whatever ties he had with the Eugenics is poorly implemented so all you get from it is the 10th pisode and that's it.
The point of Gauma and Eugnecists was that the past shouldn't matter or at least not take over their lives in the present. Like the rest of the cast. they were clinging to the past but it was holding them back. That's why we get so little from their pasts because it shouldn't matter to the present. It was like 5,000 years ago and most people involved in their assassinations are dead. This is the show's way of telling you that. You are free to criticize that it made the show worse because I felt that way because I wanted to know more.
Shows can make a point and still be a bad point or the execution of said point being mishandled.
>>
>>20412036
>I honestly don't know if knowing that you will eventually get a sequel, gives you the right to turn out a half baked story
It doesn't and when I bring that fact up, it's usually to help people understand why Dynazenon turned out the way it did. I think they should've made a more complete package, but I understand why it turned out like this. You are free to criticize these decisions and I don't think anyone should bring up that fact to justify the choices made by the director and writer.
>>
>>20412070
>Because solving the cause of a potential suicide case is more interesting than a boy throwing a fit over his new dad and being a workaholic to fulfill some man-of-the-house type shit.
Except 1.) That's Yume's character not Yomogi's and 2.) Brushing aside Yomogi's issues which are actually very common as not important sends a very bad message.
>>
>>20409479
I think a main issue is in both the original and SSSS Gridman, the villains were a huge focus.
They just didn't matter in Dynazenon and at best existed as foils at best, barely having existences of their own. Felt like one of the stronger aspects of the series became the weakest.
>>
>>20412148
>Except 1.) That's Yume's character not Yomogi's
Never said it was Yomogi's. Just that the writers went to focus on that. Yomogi doesn't need to stick his business in Yume's but he chooses to make it his problem too even when he's told not to. Probably one as a form of escapism from his own problems, and second because of his affections for Yume.
>2.) Brushing aside Yomogi's issues which are actually very common as not important sends a very bad message
True, it is a bad message when they didn't really explore his issues and it just kind of resolves itself at the end. I can only guess that Yomogi passively learned that he can't do anything to prevent his mother from seeing other men and just like his other friends, he needs to move on, but that's not really a satisfying answer.
>>
>>20409529
At the very least Sagisu is still a cool guy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LKFu87h4I-4
>>
>>20411473
I'm so proud of this community.
>>
File: m-1.webm (2.9 MB, 852x480)
2.9 MB
2.9 MB WEBM
Im glad this hoard is getting axed soon. Thanks hiroshimoot.
>>
>>20412354
yaeh go back faggot
>>
Okay, so far I have heard Dynazenon getting points for having a stronger main cast. While I think both casts are very flawed, I also think that it's almost an unwritten toku rule, that the main cast is pretty one note. With obvious exceptions, the human cast exists so that the viewers would have something to relate to, between the fighting.
But for me, the cast of the original show, actually took part in the ongoing conflict and mystery. Akane was a huge issue, as well as her world being both a mystery at first, and a problem later. Yuta and Rikka existed to bring us in on the Akane conflict, as they both had a connection with her. Sho is kinda less involved, but it's interesting to see his shift from loving toku, to seeing the real life misery that a giant monster brawl, brings to the people. So at least he gets a small arc. Basically Gridman characters may be flat, but they are more involved in the ongoing plot. And obviously a heroes vs villains story is only as great as the villain (another common trope is that the hero is usually the boring straight man, while the villain is the show stealer, who the audience loves). The Akane, Alexis and Anti team, works well, as we have a rival for Gridman, a human problem for the human cast, and the greater scope villain. So we have a main cast that (while not all about mommy issues, sister issues, neet issues and Princess issues) is actively involved in the plot, while also being actively involved with the villains, who are fun and memorable. Ain't that a win-win? Hell, even Samurai Calibur has more to do, than Gridknight in Dynazenon. I am really annoyed with how they totally wasted Gridknight. He would have brought in a unique perspective on the human/kaiju conflict. But they never even reveal that he used to be a Kaiju, or do anything interesting with him. He is just a stoic, sixth ranger to the team, and that's it.

Also, even if I agree that we can give Dyna a point for the core cast, it's still the only one it gets.
>>
A lot of the complaints about Dynazenon are the exact reasons why I liked it more that Gridman.
>>20412354
Anon what the fuck are you talking about?
>>
>>20410751
It doesn't.
>>
I just didn't care about the main ship.
I don't think ether of the other entries leaned into a single couple so hard.
>>
>>20412394
>Hell, even Samurai Calibur has more to do, than Gridknight in Dynazenon.
He combines with the other heroes and provides guidance. That’s not much different from what Calibur did.
>>
>>20411473
If you're the guy who used that same pic in /srwg/, getting good mileage out of it, I see. If you're not, here's hoping a day when we don't need it anymore comes.
>>
>>20411846
It's not that mean-spirited, no. It's more that Sho feels despondent about not being able to do anything to help because he's an ordinary guy with no useful skills or superpowers, and that turns into generalized self-loathing when everyone else has something useful to contribute and he's just watching them do their things.
>>
>>20412477
Take the situations in both shows where a kaiju turns out to be a good guy.
In Gridman, Samurai Calibur meets Anti a few times, sees that there is more to him, than just an enemy, and gives him a talk, that is one of the final straws, that pushes Anti into using his desire to surpass Gridman, into a reason to become his ally.
In Dynazenon, Goldburn kinda just entered the story bear the final 4 eps. Chise goes to ask Gridknight about what if a Kaiju is good, and the guy is his own complete anti-thesis, when he says that Kaiju can't be trusted at all. Sending kind of a mixed message there, former Kaiju turned hero... And then he gets proven wrong when Coldburn is just a good guy by nature, and he never owns up to it. I think it's a huge missed opportunity, and Gridknight basically did nothing, and gave out bad advice. Even his advice about Kaiju trying to trick people into trusting them, is irrelevant, since only one kaiju in the show is kinda maybe not evil, and the concept is never brought up again or elaborated on.
Also, this is totally irrelevant in hindsight, but the way the opening frames Chise, as not a part of the pilots, but with a pair of ominous red eyes behind her, lead me to believe that she is a villain, or at least involved with one. Then it turns out it's just the eyes of her friendly kaiju.
>>
>>20413152
Anti was only “good” because of his being the only one of Akane’s kaiju she granted autonomy while Anosillus II is the result of a kaiju banging a Compoid. Anti has no reason to think there’d be any good kaiju showing up outside of special circumstances like the two of them, and trying to explain to an already unsure Yomogi about how there could maybe be a one in a million chance of a good kaiju would have just muddled things up further.
>>
>>20409652
Gridman being a surprise sequel while also being a good enough show on its own is a complete miracle while Dynazenon is just a good show that’s also a sequel right from the start changes the dynamic of how people can perceive both
>>
>>20409652
I think Gridman has higher highs, but Dynazenon is more consistently good throughout. Gridman's highs are really fucking high, so I don't hold it against Dynazenon that it can't quite match them, although Yomogi punching Yume's nightmare until it breaks is pretty close.
>>
>>20409479
Can't say I agree. Dynazenon was leagues better, especially on the character front. It's only flaw was that I would've liked more time to spend with the cast and their arcs than 12 episodes. But I thoroughly enjoyed what I got, especially with Yomogi and Yume. Not to mention with Dynazenon it actually felt like an ensemble cast, as opposed to Gridman where it was all Yuuta and Akane for the most part.
>>
More fluff and less substance is the theme of Dynazenon. It even has a filler dinosaur form that is pointless and serves no distinctive purpose. It can change into a dino and launch a finisher beam; that's it. Gridknight even condenses this feature down to its basics because he can use Soldier as a cannon by himself.
>>
>>20414149
Can’t Dyna rex fly while Dynazenon can’t? At least indefinitely.
>>
>>20414149
It also has a bite attack that’s necessary to beat the monster in one episode so it’s not pointless
>>
>>20414816
>necessary
No it isn't. Just roll the abilities of the dino into normal Dynazenon and do a little bit of extra choreography for that one fight as a replacement.
>>
>>20411799
>we are dealing with some Mari Okada level of shallow and basic bitch melodrama. This whole thing gave me a Kiznaiver vibe. Maybe it's not as edgy or melodramatic, but it's still about the most basic characters, with the most basic arcs, that you can do in anime. Nothing new was done here, no risks were taken
This but with Akane and Yuta!Gridman, same shit, the only difference is that Dyna doesn't give you a clear answer while Grid gives you a complete explanation during the last episodes.
It's hilarious seeing you trying to shit on Dyna but not acknowledging that Gridman have the same flaws but you liked the BABY DAN DAN or the girls more. Just admit it.
>>
>>20411799
Kiznaiver was better than both Gridman and Dynazenon.
>>
>>20414881
>same shit
Not really. Look, I am not here to defend Gridman's main trio. They are bland, but they actually play into the story. Unlike the cast of Dynazenon, who have issues that are not related to the main story. Take the Kaiju out of it, and you have a slice of life series where a magical person brings together a group of troubled people with cliche as fuck problems, and eventually they all move on (something like Anohana or whatever, I haven't watched those types of shows for a long time now). It's like 90% disconnected from the actually Dynazenon stuff. It's bland, boring, doesn't matter, and amounts to nothing. Yes the writing in Gridman wasn't praise worthy, but at least in Gridman, Akane provided a context to the ongoing story, and made the kaiju fights possible (with the power of Alexis).
>the only difference is that Dyna doesn't give you a clear answer
And that's a bad thing.
>but not acknowledging that Gridman have the same flaws
Let me repeat it one more time: Gridman had a flat cast, who actually played into the kaiju storyline, and didn't waste my time with a Mari Okada style SoL melodrama.
> but you liked the BABY DAN DAN or the girls more. Just admit it.
Not ashamed to admit that I liked BABY DAN DAN. It's one of the most memorable anime moments in recent years. Dyna meanwhile has nothing memorable about it. As for the girls, I hate them. Back when I wanted to discuss the toku aspects of the show, all anons were tripping over their boners for the girls, arguing about yuri, and then that one schiso showed up and made things even worse. Well you could blame the fanbase for it, not the show itself.
>>20414894
I don't wanna open that can of worms.
>>
>>20414993
Gridman wasted your time with nothing happening for 8 episodes before Akane finally unleashed all her teenage girl melodrama while Alexis clapped.
>>
>>20415003
Not true. It let the mystery build for a time, while setting up the Anti vs Gridman rivalry. I'd rather have some buildup for an explosive finale, than no buildup for a mediocre finale.
>>
>>20415132
It's absolutely true. Gridman is literally 12 episodes of a high school girl whining about her life while an old guy laughs. Everything up to episode 9 is filler with none of the kaiju even mattering, with no theme, and its only purpose being showing off Gridman's next power.
>>
>>20415161
>Everything up to episode 9 is filler with none of the kaiju even mattering, with no theme, and its only purpose being showing off Gridman's next power.
>I'm ignoring all that leading to Akane's fall and recovery, the main drive of the show on purpose.
>>
File: icegif-4589.gif (249 KB, 350x200)
249 KB
249 KB GIF
>When SSSS Gridman and Dynazenon are such different beast, you like 'em both for different reasons.
>>
>>20414993
>Unlike the cast of Dynazenon, who have issues that are not related to the main story.
You seem to be acting like this is a bad thing in and of itself. It's not. A lot of shows have characters with personal issues that don't tie directly into the main plot.
>>
>>20415191
And Toku gridman could do all of that in a single episode. More proof that SSSS was just filler.
Imagine whining about Mari Okada melodrama but then defending the show that's nothing but one girl's Mari Okada drama.
>>
>>20415194
Hey, you can't do that. You have to pick a side, and you have to be a dick about it too.
>>
>>20415255
>Toku Gridman did it in one episode while SSSS Gridman spent their entire season building towards it.
>SSSS is the filler!
>>
>>20414993
Why does everyone blame the show for shitty ass horny retards throwing off discussion?
>>
File: 1637413363845.jpg (189 KB, 1200x675)
189 KB
189 KB JPG
>>
>>20409479
Dynazenon had better cast dynamics. Rikka’s friends and Utsumi didn’t need to exist.
>>
>>20417281
>Dynazenon had better cast dynamics.
nope
>>
>>20412222
>Yomogi doesn't need to stick his business in Yume's but he chooses to make it his problem too
No h doesn;t. You're just making shit up because Yomogi doesn't have a reason to exist if its not to help Yume so he has no general purpose.
>>
>>20412070
>Not explicitly,
But it did
>>20412070
>Because solving the cause of a potential suicide case is more interesting than a boy throwing a fit over his new dad and being a workaholic to fulfill some man-of-the-house type shit.
Not really its even more hilarious when the show treats the revelation as a non-factor because the reason for her death wasn't really important at all and had no connection to the overall plot of the show it was just a vehicle for Yume to move on and there was really no need to drag it out for 10 episodes. This is what I mean when I say Yume's character arc is entirely disconnected from the plot of Dynazenon and if you remove him shit stays the same.

>>20412070
>Utsumi and Rikka barely affect how Gridman would fight most of the time.
You do realize that they were the reason that Gridman is even function to begin with right? The episode in which Gridman ceases to function which causes a rift between Utusmi and Rikka means more than the plethora of episodes Dynazenon spends on the cast training

>>20412070
>That's why we get so little from their pasts because it shouldn't matter to the present. It was like 5,000 years ago and most people involved in their assassinations are dead.
That is a piss poor defense man. like seriously "we didn't get anything on them for 12 episodes just so the show can serve its non-existent narrative?' Sounds liek a bunch of cope especially when in Gridman we're not really given anything into Akane's backstory yet we know more about her than then everyone in Dynazenon and she a way more interesting character on top of that so no you don't get to excuse Dynazeno's underwritten plot for that horseshit.
>>
>Dynazenon tells you from episode 1 that its main theme is Scarred Souls Shine like Stars
>B-but the exploration of trauma and the coping mechanisms people use isn't "main plot" because it doesn't end in giant robots punching giant monsters!
>Sure, the giant robot battles inform the way characters respond to their issues but it doesn't count because the issues themselves aren't supernatural bullshit that can be punched to death!
Unironically too stupid for a simple TV show.
>>
>>20417413
>Dynazenon tells you from episode 1 that its main theme is Scarred Souls Shine like Stars
So why is it that this only really applies to one character that hogs the entire plot? Why is it that the MC realized that his problems aren't really problem so just like that it doesn't really mean anything to begin with

>Sure, the giant robot battles inform the way characters respond to their issues
>And you made this shit up. Isn't it because this was a poorly written sequel that was only used as a vehicle to shill toys that the plot is such a mess?
>>
>>20417417
This is the reason why I don't take anyone who says Dyanzenon is better than Gridman seriously.
>>
>>20417420
I mean this guy >>20414014 seems to have watched two different shows
>>
>>20417417
>MC realized that his problems aren't really problem so just like that it doesn't really mean anything to begin with
Yomogi's mother seeing some guy he doesn't really like but mostly gets along with is a shockingly minor problem in the grand scheme of things, especially compared to dead sisters or potentially being driven to self-harm. It is however, still a problem and leads Yomogi to destructive behaviour that he gets over throughout the series.
When people say "Yomogi's problem isn't really a problem" what they mean is that it isn't something that can be solved. His mother moving on and being happy is her right, and just because he isn't in love with the guy doesn't mean he is in a position to stop it. He just needs to get over himself. There's no investigation that needs to be done, no confrontation with an old flame. It simply is and he's better off finding something else to do.
Which is exactly what he does in the series. In the beginning Yomogi is shockingly lacking in perspective. He chooses to focus on his own issues (earning money at his part time job) over the shit that matters (piloting Dynazenon). His entire arc is realising what really matters and understanding that if you really value that stuff then there's a certain amount of bullshit that you have to put up with i.e. the irreplaceable bonds that oppose Sizumu's unlimited freedom.
And hell, gaining perspective is an arc in itself. You have to be utterly self-absorbed not to see that.
>>
Yeah, Dynazenon feels like it's missing a last leg to really bring things together for me. The villains always kind of felt like minor ones who were just doing what they were programmed to do and characters like Chise barely got to do anything.
Maybe this was always intentional, and it was supposed to be build-up to the crossover sequel, but SSSS Gridman felt more self contained and complete, which I appreciated.
>>
>>20415207
It is a problem when the first season managed to make a perfect mix of the human cast story, and the kaiju portion of the story. Then along comes the sequel, takes a big step down, and delivers a generic as fuck human level story, with a mediocre kaiju story barely attached to it, And my biggest issues with the human story in Dynazenon is not that it's so disconnected from the action parts of the show (thought that is still a big complaint), but that it's just the most generic type, done-to-death melodrama that a generic anime has to offer. If Dynazenon had an actually deep cast, with a well written story, then I would not mind it being so disconnected. But it's not only mostly disconnected from the main part of the story, but it's also so damn bland.
>>
>>20414835
Alternatively just get rid of normal Dynazenon entirely since it’s always Dynarex that actually kills the kaiju
>>
File: kaiju eugenicists ref.jpg (318 KB, 2048x1270)
318 KB
318 KB JPG
>>
>>20418753
massive amounts of reaching
>>
will there be another series I was liking gridman continuing as i loved the toku and loved the anime and they said they want to do a gridman universe
>>
>>20419980
Yeah they already announced a third
>>
>>20420072
any info on it
>>
>>20420088
Gridman x Dynazenon
>>
why do people draw akane with big breast her breasts aren't that big
>>
>>20420159
People like big breasts.
>>
>>20420159
merchandising
>>
File: Gridman x Dynazenon.jpg (107 KB, 1921x1081)
107 KB
107 KB JPG
>>20420088
>>
>>20418511
>It is a problem when the first season managed to make a perfect mix of the human cast story, and the kaiju portion of the story.
Not really, when many members of that human cast didn’t have much to them.
>>
>>20417350
>No h doesn;t. You're just making shit up because Yomogi doesn't have a reason to exist if its not to help Yume so he has no general purpose.
So Yomogi HAS to follow Yume and help her? I just said he didn't need to but he chooses to do so anyway. I'm not even saying it like he has a character goal outside Yume. Like realistically, you don't need to involve yourself with the drama of a person you barely know. Getting mad over nothing.
>>20417371
>But it did
Did anyone say "Wow Yomogi you hate your mom dating that guy"

>You do realize that they were the reason that Gridman is even function to begin with right?
Just like how everyone was emotionally upset and Dynarex jobbed at their fight against that 4 legged kaiju?

>That is a piss poor defense man. like seriously "we didn't get anything on them for 12 episodes just so the show can serve its non-existent narrative?' Sounds liek a bunch of cope
Realistically, would it have changed anything about the eugenists? We already knew the country betrayed them and killed them and Gauma too. We also saw how they had kaiju back then and Gauma was on friendly terms. What other essential info is there to know? I would've liked to see more and I didn't say it was good that they went that direction. Like I said
>You are free to criticize that it made the show worse because I felt that way
We can understand the choices behind a director or writer but we don't have to agree with them. I'm not really for the "us vs them" discussions, I'm just stating my thoughts and interpretations for things in the show that people don't understand. No need to get pissy about that.
>>
I thought Dynazenon needed to connect the character drama to the plot. They were probably trying to subvert expectations by having Yume's sister and the stuff with Koyomi in the bathroom disconnected from the kaijuu, but I don't think that was a good choice because it made the show feel a bit incohesive. That said, I don't think the characters (most of them, at least) are that simple at all. Although like with Gridman you need to listen to the audio dramas to really get a better feel of their characters. For Gridman, I remember the audio drama in which Rikka decides to not tell Yuta about the dead Youtubers was way too good to not be part of the TV show; for Dynazenon it's the one in which Yuta goes on a trip with his stepfather. Like, that felt like an actual part of their character arcs, why are they in an audio drama?
>>
>>20417371
>we know more about her than then everyone in Dynazenon and she a way more interesting character on top of that
We know a bit of Koyomi. He's not just the neet, heck we can unfairly label Akane as just the god complex girl. Koyomi is a guy who dropped out of Middle School and was a pushover for the manager girl and probably took the blame for her for that rock throw. He basically cut ties after the money thing which probably freaked him out because it could've been dirty money. When he did get to live that fantasy, the money wasn't real and it was a ploy to hang out with Koyomi more outside of school. Also, the guy struggles with the fact that he missed out on her and seriously considered leaving her husband for dead during a kaiju attack.
Like this guy said >>20412067
Some people can relate to him, and all this baggage he carries makes him interesting. I'm not saying he's way more interesting or better than Akane, but that Dynazenon isn't bad as you think.
>>
>>20412644
Happy to be wrong, then, but that still sounds pretty bleak. Does he ever find a way to meaningfully contribute, or does he just fuck off somewhere whenever things get serious?
>>
>>20422294
>>20412067
DESU it was refreshing to see a character arc like his. WHile it's not uncommon I actually think it's done better than over shows like NHK.
>>
>>20422591
It ends with him learning that even by just being there as a friend supporting Yuta had been enough, and that being just a friend isn’t a bad thing
>>
>>20422267
The pain of being stuck in a 1-season cour
>>
>>20423085
That's nice.
>>
>>20422159
I'm excited
>>
>>20409479
I agree. It sucked.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.