[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/m/ - Mecha

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: FElKIyZXoAAEHiv.jpg (44 KB, 638x465)
44 KB
44 KB JPG
Is anime good enough alternative for getting through Sakura Wars?
Most of the games aren't translated and I hear ones that do have low-quality ones.
>>
>>20391326
I've only seen TV and it was kinda bad.
The story took itself way too seriously and most of the characters were annoying, despite the fact that i like them in the game. I don't know how to feel about Sumire being the most obnoxious character and the best written one at the same time
The first game has a full translation patch, with cutscenes with subs and all. As far as I know, the patch was pretty good so you should check that one out at the very least.
2 and 3 have full script translations and 4 has a partial translation covering only Sakura's route, as far as i know. I briefly checked the guide on gamefaqs and i don't know nihongo so i don't really know the quality of the translation.
>>
File: sumire2.jpg (941 KB, 708x1000)
941 KB
941 KB JPG
>>20391326
As someone who likes the TV Anime? No. They change the story almost completely.

>>20391367
One of the biggest problems with the TV anime is that went full Snowflake Princess with Sakura herself. She's too pure and perfect and anyone who says anything to her is a bully. I was actually surprised to see how much a petty jealous bitch she could be in the game. She's way more endearing that way.
>>20391367
As for Sumire? Just take it as a show of how best girl she is that even when the anime was trying to sabotage her she's still best girl.
>>
Is the new one (2019) anime good? I'm a seiyuufag and most of my favorites are voicing the new girls
>>
OVAs are better and canon but it requires playing through games to get what's going on
>>
>>20391683
The game is good, but the anime isn't since it makes the completely unfounded assumption that the new cast can work on their own without the game's chad protagonist being there to interact with them

Which is understandable, since MC-kun should realistically be able to instantly solve everything, but it begs the question why they made the anime to begin with
>>
>>20391683
Game is fine, nothing amazing but a decent time. Haven't watched the anime yet but I know it's a sequel to the game and according to a friend that watched it, it does reference spoilers
>>
>>20391683
I give minimal fucks about Sakura Wars, the 2019 anime seemed okay but unremarkable
>>
The old TV anime is good but also completely different from the game in both story and tone, even character personalities. Everything is way more somber and depressing and Ogami's role is really turned down.
>>
>>20391326
No real men play Pocket Sakura and keep it with them at all times until the day they die
>>
Sakura Wars has the best opening theme out of any anime ever
>>
File: sakuragb.png (1.69 MB, 1000x1236)
1.69 MB
1.69 MB PNG
The Game Boy game got an English fan translation recently - https://www.retrorgb.com/sakura-wars-gb-english-translation.html

Not only that, but they've added content that was on the cart but not used in the final game such as voice samples. I haven't tried it yet but I hear it's good.
>>
So if the TV anime is completely different and worse than the game, can I watch the TV anime first anyway so I save the superior game for later, or does it still have spoilers?
>>
>>20397259
The anime spoils next to nothing and goes off the rails almost immediately. It takes some stuff from the game and plot points are only minorly touched upon, but for the overwhelming majority of its runtime it does its own thing.
>>
>>20391683
Stop simping for Bitchy McNoseberg and brocon whore, and no it's fucking awful and pretty much drilled them into a hole they can't write their way out of.

>>20397259
I think the biggest spoiler in there is actually backstory that isn't revealed until the second game, oddly enough. That's the only anime that's an adaption of anything anyways, most of the rest are just extra sidestories besides the movie being its own event that occurs between 3 and 4 and Shin being a sequel to its respective game.
>>
>>20391575
Everyone is a dickhead to Sakura in the canon OVA too so eh. The production for the TV show is particularly weird in that the show had a big staff shift that lead to being noticeably less dark in the latter half but it actually dropped the writers who usually work on the lighter entries of the franchise. Of course it also switched from the director of Lain and Ghost Hound to the guy who would eventually direct Rinne no Lagrange being in charge.
>>
File: imagine the handjob.webm (398 KB, 1186x640)
398 KB
398 KB WEBM
>>20391326
>Is anime good enough alternative for getting through Sakura Wars?
watch everything but the TV show, which is not canon and utter garbage anyway. The thing is, the OVAs and the movie are heavily connected to some big events in the games, so you will likely not enjoy them without having played the games themselves first.
>>
>>20397979
Things don't have to be a shot for shot remake of the source material to be good robot.
>>
File: 1626945685313.webm (1.2 MB, 630x354)
1.2 MB
1.2 MB WEBM
Look at my wife, isn't she amazing
>>
>>20397979
Is Ratchet the only New York girl people like (besides Gemini)?
>>
>>20400146
They're the only ones they're aware of because they appeared in anything else.
>>
>>20400146
Nobody likes Gemini
>>
>>20400229
I didn't know Ratchet ever showed up elsewhere
>>
File: 1252788451934.jpg (2.45 MB, 2100x3034)
2.45 MB
2.45 MB JPG
>>20400282
That webm isn't STV
>>
>>20397365
>and no it's fucking awful and pretty much drilled them into a hole they can't write their way out of.
haven't seen it myself but isn't that they're in some sort of inescapable dimension and the bad guys are dindu nuffins or some shit like that?
>>
>>20400328
They've been fighting an endless battle in a demon zone for 20 years or something
Regardless, the mistake wasn't the specifics, but making it canon to the other games to begin with. They wanted to have their Sumire fanservice but realized how impractical it would be to have the whole cast show up, so they came up with this crap to justify it and no one really likes it. I never even played the old games, I have zero attachment to the old characters, and I still think it's retarded and they should have just made it non-canon

Everything not related to the canon is good though
>>
>>20400146
Yea

Shame she sounds like a granny but i guess the same can be said about most of the old cast now. Michie Tomizawa really hitting the hoarse cow voice now after a recent ep of shin chan:

https://streamable.com/w0r5gc
>>
>>20400328
Writing the old cast out in a half assed "Sakura returned to her home planet" way where they can bring them back still at the same age and with all their powers at any time to keep people hanging on was a game issue, akshually demons are people too was something that came with the anime but isn't the only issue either.

>>20400341
The anime is legitimately just fucking bad on its own. It's god awful ugly obviously but you have things like Anastaia being unironically a glorified background extra in it or the episode where the Koubu Sanshiki Kai debuts and jobs instantly for no reason.
>>
>>20400379
I honestly don't know what one could even expect from Anastasia in a sequel; the game itself pretty much ran that well dry. Not that I'm excuses, mind you. I never watched the anime either and have no desire to
>>
>>20391326
I watched the first OVA, and while I could tell that I missed some story beats, it was really good, I believe it actually begins just before the game events and then ends after them, or something like that. It isn't hard to follow due to it though.
>>
>>20400436
Oddly enough I'd say it's more like the opposite. Everyone has the issue of their shit being resolved so they're just doing gags and harem hijinks while the show focuses on Clara, but because Anastasia's backstory hews too close to the main plot and they don't want to get into it they push her to the background so you won't think about it.
>>
>>20400146
she's an incompent bitch who just acts tough and badass, but she would have died in her debut movie if not for Ogami saving her ass from the last boss. Orihime and especially Reni, the both of them under her command in the former European STAR division, fucking hate her.
>>
>>20401090
I think that was the whole point of her character thought? The thing about having too much hubris?
>>
>>20401090
Its sounds more like YOU fucking hate her, anon.
>>
>>20400341
>They've been fighting an endless battle in a demon zone for 20 years or something
>>20400379
>Writing the old cast out in a half assed "Sakura returned to her home planet" way where they can bring them back still at the same age and with all their powers at any time
That sounds incredibly poorly written and possibly more insulting to longtime fans than just killing them off. The more I hear about SW 2019, the worse it sounds, and this is a franchise I've always wanted to give a shot.
>>
File: Kamiyama.jpg (33 KB, 600x338)
33 KB
33 KB JPG
>>20402734
Really, that's the only bad part of the game. Kamiyama is absolutely one of the most fun characters I've ever played as. I wish more dating sims let you kabedon
>>
>>20400621
Granted, the anime did give Hatsuho a proper arc, considering that her arc in the game was hijacked by Sakura.
>>
>>20402793
I'm not big on Tite Kubo (I was under the impression that no one was, up until the game was announced and everyone changed their opinion on him and Bleach overnight), and I don't like how they changed the genre of the actual gameplay from turn-based strategy to Musou, of all things. And even if you were right about that being the only bad part of the game, "every character but like two is, while not dead, stuck in a parallel dimension fighting a battle they can't possibly win, and they've been doing this for twenty years (so, they're dead)" is really fucking awful.
>>
File: demul_zy5XpEQKWQ.png (388 KB, 1024x768)
388 KB
388 KB PNG
>>20391326
The anime are not a good alternative, at all.
Mainly just because there hasn't really been an adaptation of the games besides the 2000 anime however even then it's not exactly a replacement (it also sucks)

all of the other OVAs are side stories that take place before/during/after the games and the movie takes place between 3 and 4.

The translation guides by Kayama where you can find them are actually not that bad, that is until you get to 4 if you haven't been running for sakura the whole time.
>>
>>20402828
I'm not really into either musou or SPRG gameplay, that said I did think the game did a decent job with its main levels. Not with the visuals mind you, those were all fairly samey, but each of them did do a surprisingly decent job at utilizing all of the various girls' gimmicks. I was expecting a button masher and got a little more than that.

However bad you think the canon details are, they're backstory. They're barely relevant for the actual events of the game and only really exist to explain why Sumire is there but no one else is. Perhaps 10 minutes at most is spent dwelling on that stuff, while the rest of the game concerns other matters.
>>
>>20402895
>However bad you think the canon details are, they're backstory. They're barely relevant for the actual events of the game
That's even worse. This is a long-running franchise that depends on the player growing attached to at least one character, and I don't see how you're supposed to enjoy anything with "X character is never coming back, and if they do, they'll be completely unrecognizable from how you remember them" in the back of your head. Unless you've never heard of the franchise before, and if that's the case, why would you ever pick up a musou dating sim on a whim?

Also, Kosuke Fujishima doesn't seem like he's preoccupied with anything and I don't see why he couldn't have done character designs again.
>>
>>20402942
You can't enjoy a game because you're upset over something that it isn't even about? That's dumb. By your logic reboots basically can't even exist. I already established that I think it was a dumb move and a bad decision, but I also think only a turbo autist would let that ruin the game for them.
>>
>>20402961
>By your logic reboots basically can't even exist.
On the contrary, I think it should have just been a reboot to begin with. It's the first game in the series with more than a Japanese audience in mind, right? Then start over from scratch. That's at least far less bizarre than "everyone's dead, but just ignore it".
>>
>>20402967
No. STV was more or less the same. New cast, new protagonist, English localization, still canon, made some time after the previous games.
It is baffling, though, that they would attempt to pull the same thing considering that game bombed. It had been over a decade since the last game so I can understand starting with a new cast, at least, but for fuck's sake you don't need to make it canon to have fanservice
>>
>>20402987
I mean, STV also opened up by establishing that all the characters from the first four games were alive and well, so I wouldn't say they're the same.

How did 2019 do overseas, performance-wise? I can assume it did fine in its home country, and I remember a pretty big marketing push by Sega's annoying social media accounts, but I never saw very many people playing it.
>>
>>20402803
Oh right I guess this was the rest of that and not just a rehash.

>>20402895
>They're barely relevant for the actual events of the game
That isn't true at all unfortunately, since the actual interesting premise of reviving the Kagekidan goes out the window very early the core plot of the game is Amamiya's hangup on Shinguuji.

>>20402828
3D hack and slash is not musou.
>>
>>20402996
>How did 2019 do overseas, performance-wise?
No idea, but there were constant /v/ threads for a month and a half after it came out

>>20403019
>the core plot of the game is Amamiya's hangup on Shinguuji.
No, it's not. That's an element of it, but there's a lot more going on and even with that element, the fate of the old troupe isn't particularly relevant to that since it's more centered around that demon character who only merely looks like Shinguuji.
>>
>>20397365
The OVA of V is a sequel to it's respective game too from what I understand but I'm not sure if it's fully subbed
>>
File: 1591030284754.jpg (452 KB, 900x842)
452 KB
452 KB JPG
>>20403068
>That's an element of it,
It's not just an element everything else gets put on hold for it for hours at a time.
>their fate isn't relevant except for this entire major character that's predicated on it
Dude

>>20403095
It is but it's a scenario that was cut from the game rather than really its own separate thing still.
>>
>>20402828
>I was under the impression that no one was, up until the game was announced and everyone changed their opinion on him and Bleach overnight
Bleach was always cool, despite its story short-comings. It's basically Devil May Cry of shounen. It was just stuck with the most normie shows like Naruto and One Piece, who were jerking off Soul Society arc like it was the second coming. Unlike these two shows Bleach had a decency to go away for a while though, so now people can look at it with fresh eyes.
>>
>>20403133
Yaksini or whatever her name is isn't a major character. She says like two sentences over the course of the entire game. And regardless, she has very little to do with what's going on with the old cast. And even if she did, Amamiya herself has more going on than just her fixation with Shinguuji. And though Amamiya is inarguably the central girl, most of the game focuses on characters other than her, and the main plot has more to do with Anastasia than anyone else.
>>
>>20403180
People clown on Bleach because of Kubo's writing flaws and certain extremely memeworthy pages, but the art is generally liked. When he doesn't sameface, at least.
>>
I am not okay with characters I had taken 4 games to build up a like for being shipped to battle limbo for a decade and everyone pretends that doesn't fucking matter from a franchise perspective. If they had all retired by this point like Sumire did it would have been infinitely better because in the very least we would have known they were okay.
>>
>>20403019
>3D hack and slash is not musou.
OK, good to know. I read "musou-style" and made assumptions. I still prefer turn-based strategy.

>>20403180
>>20403292
Look, it just doesn't click for me, sorry. My only exposure to Bleach is people laughing at "THE HEART" and "lol backgrounds", along with this one time I saw an episode dubbed on TV at 2 AM in high school (couldn't remember much aside from the main guy suddenly wearing a kendo outfit in the middle of a scene with no explanation).
>>
I'd just like to say I absolutely despise Iris
her being locked in hell for eternity is the one positive thing they did for the cast
>>
>>20408716
The French loli from the first two, right? Yeah, I can see that. Having one of the main romantic options (in your unironic dating sim, mind you) be a realistically-portrayed small child with no "actually a thousand year old vampire" loopholes always struck me as odd.
>>
File: FFG29WyakAAu8Hc.jpg (361 KB, 1200x800)
361 KB
361 KB JPG
lmao the face
>>
>>20415231
New figure or garage kit?

I just want a new figure of Sumire already.
>>
>>20416526
Amakuni, I think it was announced half an eternity ago
>>
>>20391326
no
>>
>>20400002
She's kind of dumb.
>>
>>20391683
2019 game was okay. The excuse for the absence of the original Combat Revues was not.
>>
>>20395030
Is that a standalone game? GB remake/port of the Saturn game?

I still need to install RetroArch and play the translation of the first game on Saturn.
>>
>>20422760
The full title is Sakura Wars GB Hanagumi Enlistment! Protagonist is some other dude who joins for a month and gets an evaluation at the end. No combat, just minigames, apparently pretty short and designed to make you replay it to figure out how to get the endings. Has an Ogawa ending too as such.
>>
File: 1589871087834.jpg (49 KB, 451x432)
49 KB
49 KB JPG
>>20422829
Ogami fug realized it right as I pressed the fucking post button of course
>>
>>20422829
Wait, you can ntr EVERYBODY by getting Ogami for yourself?
>>
File: 1411847846524.gif (100 KB, 300x300)
100 KB
100 KB GIF
>>20391326
Erica best girl
>>
>>20400002
Shame the role of Luffy ruined the voice of her VA and she can't go back and play her.
>>
File: happy Sakura.webm (2.83 MB, 554x554)
2.83 MB
2.83 MB WEBM
>>
>>20423304
She sounded just like Luffy in Sakura Wars as well, so she can go back.
>>
>>20425988
She needs to become king of the pirates first though
>>
>>20423009
Is she a Catholic?
>>
>>20425995
That may take a while, but she still can take a side job. She came back for Wataru in SRW X.
>>
>>20425997
She's French, so yes
>>
>>20391326
At the very least play the first game. There's a patch for the Saturn version (easy enough to emulate on PC), and it's pretty decent.
You could go through the OVAs after.
I'd say the TV series isn't too bad, but a lot of people dislike it. I guess I'm drawn to it for nostalgic reasons, as we had it airing on TV with English subtitles in my country.

>>20391683
The 2020 anime is absolute trash.The 2019 game is good enough. Not perfect, certainly not up to par with the older games, but at least provides an accessible entry point into the franchise.
It's a shame the hype around it pretty much fizzled out. Maybe a real SakuTai revival was too much to ask for.

>>20425997
Yes, she's a nun (who also works at a cabaret).

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.