[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/m/ - Mecha

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: Aura Battler Dunbine.jpg (938 KB, 959x1114)
938 KB
938 KB JPG
I just watched this for the first time and I have some banal opinions about it.

I like this show a lot more in the beginning. Sukehiro Tomita is at his best writing the little things between people and Dunbine in its early stages has more room for that. Time for Neal and Emile. Time for conspiracy between Drake the king and that one lord that goes down in the false flag early. Time for Marvel and Show. Time for Keen to pine for that dick. Time for Todd's inferiority complex to blossom. Time for the wretched cunt wife to reveal her wretched cuntness. There's a lot of character moving parts early on in Dunbine that are really pretty well done...
But then the second / third cour happens. As the show really scales up its scope the story's framing shifts really hard toward the operatic or grandiose. Characters and relationships that were being developed nicely pretty much freeze in place by the second cour and characters are left in holding patterns until they die. You might get tiny exceptions to this in the midst of 25 episodes like the Show and Marvel's belated confession or Todd revealing his motivation for sticking with Drake has shifted now that his "Mama" is a potential victim but it's really, really minor now compared to the rest of the runtime. The rest of the runtime that's just become the war. The big towering allegory overshadows everything I was digging about the show.
>>
File: oh no.jpg (189 KB, 960x720)
189 KB
189 KB JPG
I think Tomino is at his worse when he's showing super cool pew pew pew to children then he turns around to try and say "now remember war is bad kids look at these dead people". When I saw this early on I had to cap it.
>>
File: Ej5mHogXsAAmKhm.jpg (113 KB, 960x720)
113 KB
113 KB JPG
>>20214865
shot weapon supports this thread.
>>
File: 1984987498498494.jpg (51 KB, 800x499)
51 KB
51 KB JPG
>>20214865
This your first Tomino ride, kid?
>>
Dunbine was at it's best when it was medieval warfare and drama with a few mechs. Bringing it to Earth (and suddenly having hundreds of Aura Battlers when there were initially only a few) just kind of turned it into Bug Gundam. I guess at the time it might have been more notable because those kind of not-Gundam shows were rare and there was only one Gundam show period at the time, but watching it in the later days it just looks like it threw away an interesting premice to do a bad impression of another show that many other shows have aped better since.
>>
>>20214870
Then I saw what I think is A young Prince William looking at the tv and laughing at the death and destruction and thought it was pretty on the nose Tomino commentary about kids watching his shows and not getting it.
Still I blame Tomino for mixed messages. He can do his "war bad" shtick a lot better than "look at these bodies" when he focuses in on the personal traumas of character's like Amuro, but I thought that was lacking in Dunbine. Like I said the show just suddenly inflates into ATTACK ATTACK ATTACK for the second half.
>>20214885
I've seen CCA and all of its prerequisites. The shows not the films.
>>
i never liked his new suit but i'm happy somebody is using it.....too bad she's a shit pilot
>>
File: AURAAAAAAAAA.jpg (150 KB, 960x720)
150 KB
150 KB JPG
Just some final thoughts

It was nice to see a girl in a Tomino anime actually go down with her ship, so to speak, for once instead of backstabbing her man as things were going tits up.

I didn't think the ending was really sad but it layed on the allegory pretty thick.

The sub timing for this in the nyaa releases is awful. I think they all use the same official subs. Someome tell sentai readahead isn't bad.

The art/animation. It's not good. Not even in the cool 80's way where you have really cool art direction and designs but not a ton of movement. It's very 70s. Also there are old cel shows that may have done the photocopier for scale trick worse but plenty have also done it better. The narrative scale problems are far worse anyway.

The OP Literally Slaps and I never skipped it. Not even once. Here have the best version of it on youtube I could find:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fn1JAY6M6jU
>>
File: wat.jpg (168 KB, 960x720)
168 KB
168 KB JPG
>>20214929
I figured it was a toy thing, I liked both their original outfits more.
Which is what I figured was up with the Billbine randomly losing its color scheme in the final episodes. Unless one of you guys knows better than I do.
>>
>>20214874
Wasn't this dude's motivation hating Australia?
>>
OORA BATORA
>>
File: Ej5mJ7GXsAAUKk1.jpg (97 KB, 1200x675)
97 KB
97 KB JPG
>>20215489
>Wasn't this dude's motivation hating Australia?
yes
>>
File: 1617721135262.jpg (254 KB, 960x1340)
254 KB
254 KB JPG
>>
>>20215489
It is the motivation of all right-thinking men.
>>
File: Untitled.png (515 KB, 868x652)
515 KB
515 KB PNG
>>20214865
I finished Dunbine around 2-3 months ago and I have roughly the same opinion as you.

IMO Dunbine reaches its absolute peak when they first travelled upwards back to the real world and got worse from there, I was so hyped when they are all returning to the real world again the second time but it's so disappointing.

This show also reinforces that you can't truly appreciate Tomino's dialogue without knowing a certain level of jap, no translation can do the "Tominoi heated dialogue" justice.
>>
I really liked the Upper Earth stuff because the stakes felt very present and the finality of it was encroaching. It didn't end as well as I hoped but overall the show had a beat-for-beat consistency about it which made me want to watch the next episode after next episode. Its weakest element is its cast being way too big, certain characters will appear then simply be gone for entire episodes, some don't exactly see satisfying conclusions. I watched this before Zeta Gundam and I felt like by Zeta this was something that got ironed out, because the way in which it cuts between earth and space events depending on where a character is worked.
>>
>>20216250
>Its weakest element is its cast being way too big, certain characters will appear then simply be gone for entire episodes

I actually like this though, for me this makes the world feels a lot more realistic because not everyone has to be relevant all the time in your life.

With a show like Xabungle I think it's ok to have a small cast so the bad guys are always Timpu! or Hora but even then Tomino threw in a healthy mix of Innocents and the widow to mix things up some of the time.
>>
To be quite honest, I hated the first half of Dunbine. The first three episodes were pretty good, but it was the same shit for 20 episodes. Episode 9 gave me a throbbing headache due to shit dialogue (or shit subs, I don't know nor do I care to find out). I dropped it right after they returned to Byston Well. I hate how Tomino writes his shit jobber characters like that annoying blue-haired dyke, but in something like 0079 where his shit jobber character is Char there's enough likeable characters around to ignore them, but no-one in Dunbine is likeable except Show.
It did have good animation, great designs, and excellent music, but you can't polish a turd of a story.
>>
>>20216250
I didn't like upper earth (in addition to what I've already said) because it didn't matter that they were up there for dozens of episodes. It was just window dressing as a setting combined with immunity to Earth's forces which is some of the worst time wasting, utterly joyless jobbing I have ever seen.
Eventually, Eventually, things up on Earth start to matter in the context of Paris Burning or the also ran kamikaze planes but it's too little too late. Too many episodes burned on upper earth being "Mosquitos".
>>
File: bbfefb2a79.jpg (68 KB, 668x1000)
68 KB
68 KB JPG
>>20216270
>but it was the same shit for 20 episodes
If you watched enough Tomino shows you could tell that the old fuck does this for almost every single show
>we need to get to X location/we are on the run!
>fight breaks out
>MC fucks the jobber up (Char, Jerid, Gavlet, Hora, Todd&Bannings, Cronicle...etc.)
>jobber escapes when he loses a limb/booster
>MC doesn't chase because the plot holds him back
>rinse and repeat but the jobber somehow keeps getting mech upgrades despite fucking up every single time

If anything Dunbine has the best re-arrange of this formula because it has multiple jobbers and Bannings actually gets told to fuck off mid-season for achieving nothing.
>>
>>20214865
I liked the beginning third and ending third but I thought the middle third of the show dragged too much.
>>
I remember the middle was around where I enjoyed it the most. The first upper earth episodes with Garalia were great and the face off between dark knight and Show in that lake (with Cham yelling "AURA SLASH") was the best action I could ever expect in this weird fantasy mecha anime. If there was a peak to this setting and these designs it was in that scene. Other than that it was a solid war anime with cool backdrops and setpieces.

Did anyone notice that the scene of fantasy Bright punching his gf is pretty much the same scene from the later victory gundam?

Also Show making kamikaze jokes about being japanese was a riot.

>>20216287
>It was just window dressing as a setting combined with immunity to Earth's forces which is some of the worst time wasting, utterly joyless jobbing I have ever seen.
Oh my god this. I was shocked when I finished watching it and came to /m/ and found that was mostly everyone's favorite part. If the show had stayed in Byston Well I think it would have been a lot better off. Felt like such an asspull to hand wave this entire setting with a mass teleport.
>>
>>20216372
>when I finished watching it and came to /m/ and found that was mostly everyone's favorite part. If the show had stayed in Byston Well
It is? I haven't discussed Dunbine since I watched it in the early 10's, it instantly goes to shit when the Earth arc begins. It sucks too because there was potential for that arc to be good, but they basically meander for most of it, then the final fight happens. The final battle in Byston Well was the highlight for me.
>>
>>20215499
>>Wasn't this dude's motivation hating Australia?

Everyone hates Australia in mecha anime. It's a fundamental truism of this reality.
>>
File: Ec0HomdXkAEZ7QD.jpg (124 KB, 960x720)
124 KB
124 KB JPG
>>20214865
i feel like the plot has forgotten about Riml Luft.
>>
>>20218038
She's involved throughout, though prominence varies. Makes sense, considering that other important/urgent matters show up.
>>
>>20214908
Try Xabungle next.
>>
>>20214929
>>20215502
loving the Dunbine art, keep it coming!
>>
File: dunbine.png (341 KB, 540x408)
341 KB
341 KB PNG
>>20215010
The visuals aren't great, yeah, and while conceptually cool they could've done to lean into the insectoid nature of the mechs more.
The later OVAs make up for it with fantastic designs, though.
>>
File: dunbine dragon.jpg (1.5 MB, 2000x3001)
1.5 MB
1.5 MB JPG
>>20220475
>>
File: 2.jpg (296 KB, 914x1280)
296 KB
296 KB JPG
Apparently this is the official art for one of the plastic kits.
>>
File: N.jpg (29 KB, 618x347)
29 KB
29 KB JPG
Nips say this is Nagano's concept art of the Billbine.
The flyer mode.
>>
File: Nb.jpg (65 KB, 900x1200)
65 KB
65 KB JPG
And the Battler mode.
>>
File: a.jpg (52 KB, 480x640)
52 KB
52 KB JPG
Which evolved into this rough design by Tomonori Kogawa. Again the Billbine.
This time with image.
>>
File: 1.jpg (171 KB, 800x600)
171 KB
171 KB JPG
Tomonori rough of the flyer.
>>
File: 5.jpg (180 KB, 800x600)
180 KB
180 KB JPG
Another, this time of its transformation sequence.
>>
File: a.png (456 KB, 510x447)
456 KB
456 KB PNG
And his final pitched design. Which was reportedly rejected for being "Too Chogokin".
>>
File: Billbine Evolutions.jpg (195 KB, 800x600)
195 KB
195 KB JPG
The little one in the box is the rejected one if that's not clear.
Here's the page but kind of shitty.
>>
File: dunbine.jpg (267 KB, 1280x720)
267 KB
267 KB JPG
>>
>>20214865
Dunbine was great 9/10 better than Vision of Escacuckne.
>>
>>20220475
>The visuals aren't great
>>
>>20220480
Isn't that one Sirbine and not Dunbine?
>>
>>20220725
I'm curious what about Escaflowne left you so butthurt?
>>
>>20220725
>>20221770
escaflowne is much better than dunbine but that isn't saying a lot considering how shit dunbine is. escaflowne is mediocre but at least it has god-tier animation and production values. meanwhile dunbine looks like shit, the story meanders and goes nowhere for too long, and it has 1980s tomino directing it so you know it's going to be an unwatchable mess from a directorial point of view
>>
>>20221449
When I was reading through some of the nip threads to find concept art I came across one where they were talking about the setting in general. Some nip anons were talking about how Marvel is too unfriendly and a couple others were saying it's a bummer she's a shit pilot until almost the very end. But one nip's defense of Marvel's early character was
>Yeah but I can't help getting hard thinking of a scene where her skirt gets rolled up and her leggings get pulled half down around her ass
Which made me laugh.
>>
>>
File: EgY_QUGVAAMDTor.jpg (155 KB, 1070x1070)
155 KB
155 KB JPG
look at me
>>
File: not 4MP.jpg (1010 KB, 850x1206)
1010 KB
1010 KB JPG
shiit i miss her
>>
i want one
>>
File: 聖戦士ダンバイン.jpg (400 KB, 1170x1280)
400 KB
400 KB JPG
>>20222084
Bruh she even looks crazy on the poster.
>>
>>20222060
I agree, Marvel sucking so much didn't make any sense. Aside from that guy who died in his first fight, Earth pilots were solid almost immediately. She's also a complete bitch to Shou despite the fact he has no idea what the fuck is going and is stranded in this weird medieval world, the fact she's from Earth and does little to convince him at first made it even worse.
>>
File: HPAjbvW.jpg (486 KB, 1998x1267)
486 KB
486 KB JPG
>>20221922
>escaflowne
had so many generic shojo tropes i had to drop it but i do intend to re watch it because holy shit the animation & its a spiritual successor to dunbine.

I disagree strongly with your assessment nothing you said is representative of my experience with dunbine it was far less formulaic than both ideon & the last arc of turn a gundam.

Like this anon said >>20216308

i found it mixed things up really well the middle portion was the only part where dunbine dragged for me.

>dunbine looks like shit,

I wouldn't go far but its a lot to be desired better looking than 0079 but that's not saying much.

>the story meanders and goes nowhere for too long, and it has 1980s tomino directing it so you know it's going to be an unwatchable mess from a directorial point of view

Dunbine was not that hard to follow to be considered a "mess" but that's not surprising you'll say that since that sounds like the kind of crap a filtered speed watching maron of tomino anime would say in the first place.

>escaflowne
Maybe there's some truth it being "better" but watching some of the beginning of it i found it was slow, predictable, filled with lots of info dumping, shojo cliches & tropes.
I couldn't stand the first couple episodes but i'm sure it gets better so i'll dive in again but man it seems like the kind of show filthy plebeians would love to watch because it "talks" way too much & "explains" way too much.

But maybe i'm wrong & i was filtered its been awhile since i last saw it.

Maybe its not like gunbuster that's overrated & is actually very "meh" & annoying.
>>
>>20222414
>She's also a complete bitch to Shou
Anon...No. What the fuck are you on about? All throughout most of the show was her ether A) Her wanting shou to bang her or b) her bitching about shou not admitting how he feels about her. Other than that she was patient with him, shou was the one that was a total dick to marvel & the crew.
>>
You "Dunbine doesn't look good" types are blind.
>>
>>20224385
It has it's moments and the characters in particular are well done, it's mostly the mech action that leaves something to be desired.
>>
Dunbine is the best Tomino show easily.
Best Amano art as well.
>>
>>20223297
Try rereading what you write before you post next time. Will save us from another spell of rambling words diarrhea
>>
>>20225494
Amano did the art for Dunbine?
>>
>>20216372
>The first upper earth episodes with Garalia were great
Sure but to me it goes downhill after he returns to Byston Well and only picks back up when they are back on earth
>>
>>20226538
I've read it. There's mistakes but its not impossible follow. Don't start acting like a dishonest cunt that didn't understand what i wrote.
There's some mistakes that were made but its far from being inscrutable.
>>
File: D_8Lz24U0AAoFDL.jpg (1.34 MB, 1646x2454)
1.34 MB
1.34 MB JPG
>>20225494
>Dunbine is the best Tomino show easily.
You misspelled Ideon anon....
>>
>>20228689
after you started rambling I stopped reading because I'm not going to waste my time on your drivel. PS, I'm not the anon you were complaining to originally
>>
>>20220548
>>20220551
This looks almost like something out of the zanscare empire and bespa
>>
https://files.catbox.moe/e8oadl.webm

I translated Akita University's Anime Production Research Club's 1985 parody of Dunbine's OP because I couldn't find it in the wild.

Line's are fudged and sometimes beaten to be more familiar to you if you're already familiar with the awkward fansub translation of the OP.

Also I didn't include it in the video cause I can't condense this to fit but Farmer is usually written 農家 "Noka" but in the parody's title it's written 農耕士 "nokoshi" which is nonstandard and means roughly "Honorable Agriculturalist". The reference being that Dunbine's Japanese title includes 聖戦士"Seisenshi" aka "Holy Warrior" which has the same mora/kanji count and the same kind of slightly grandiose antiquated speech flavor.
>>
>>20228721
Dunbine is Ideon but better.
Ideon barely has anything going for the villains.
>>
File: 1609308449256.jpg (210 KB, 1911x1200)
210 KB
210 KB JPG
>>
>>20223340
Marvel is proto Fa but more competent as a pilot. Being that clingy and demanding is actually worse than just acting like a bitch in my book.
>>
>>20229744
cheers big ears
>>
File: marvel cel.jpg (50 KB, 1200x847)
50 KB
50 KB JPG
>>20224385
Mate even the principal cast routinely goes off model.
>>
>>20234492

Name an anime where that doesn't happen.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.