[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/m/ - Mecha

[Advertise on 4chan]

Name
Spoiler?[]
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File[]
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 43 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: gundam olympics.jpg (421 KB, 2000x1362)
421 KB
421 KB JPG
Is the 1:1 Gundam still showing up tomorrow for the opening ceremony of the Olympics?
If so, do we know at what time it will appear?
>>
Is this really a rumor? If they show the Gundam off on live tv like that maybe it will spark a resurgence of interest in the franchise across the world.
>>
>>19931111
you are delusional, stop trying to make muh mecha a thing again
>>
>>19931126
Delusional lmao what the fuck kind of projection is this? if you have a life size giant moving display piece like this unironically it could be the first mecha shit some people see in their life. There’s no way that isn’t going to spur renewed interest in mech crap. Do you even know what board you’re on btw?
>>
>>19931111
The announcer will call it "Transformer" anyway.
>>
>>19931173
I think even to a layperson it obviously it’s a transformer, people are familiar with Michael Bays crumpled up can thrown into a blender looking designs, the thing here even if someone doesn’t know what it is, is obviously not from transformers.
>>
>>19931140
delusional
>>
>>19931215
>if I keep repeating this word it’s true

Mentally ill
>>
>>19931256
>phoneposter
ah that explains everything
>>
>>19931280
your coping levels are off the chart

You think everyone everyone eats breathes and sleeps 5 feet from their desktop? You know the old tags who have actually been here for a while eventually got jobs right?
>>
>>19931295
epic reaction images bro, you got them from twitter?
>>
>>19930999
>foreigner access is still not allowed
>theres already reports of athletes being infected with Covid, meaning the rest will invariably get infected too.

the ceremony is cancelled, the otakulympics were something never meant to be. as god intended, those who actually waited to see the sillyness, all are punished.
>>
>>19931319
you are trying way too hard now, dumb frogposter
>>
>>19931311
Is it though? I'm having trouble to find anything concrete and it's supposed to happen in less than a day.
I guess they're gambling everything at the last minute or something.
At least we have the retard olympics doing their best in this very thread.
>>
File: 20200413162644573.jpg (56 KB, 500x500)
56 KB
56 KB JPG
>Delayed for a year
>Closed off to foreigners.
>Weird sex shit with cardboard beds and thousands of condoms because apparently the athletes are all horny monkeys.
>Activism shit.
>Already reports of ahletes and staff catching covid.

I'd say the Tokyo Olympics are cursed but the Olympics tend to be cursed in general.
>>
>>19931370
It’s tourists from /sp/ trying to derail anything olympics related with “current event” despite this thread being solely about the walking gundam, just ignore them
>>
>>19931593
Sus as fuck
>>
>>19931593
>thousands of condoms because apparently the athletes are all horny monkeys.
That's pretty standard for the olympics.
>>
>>19931111
It's not like Japan isn't already associated with giant robots in the zeitgeist. People will go "cool" and then forget about it. Maybe there will be a lame meme or two on social media.
>>
>>19931806
>>19931311 here...

i dunno why i am considered that, but it is the truth, These olympics got cursed by Corona, and god knows what else.

i really wanted to see all that anime and otaku culture themed promotion and stuff, but its more than clear that theres not gonna be anything, or it wont be as cool as other opening ceremonies, it just cant. and all because china probably wanted to reduce the total global population in a convoluted world conquest plan.
>>
>>19932081
Meds. Now.
>>
how about you answer me like a human being?
>>
>>19932001
Low iq ass posts. Go figure big surprise. being “associated” is not the same as having a physical demonstration. I really question the intelligence of the people who post here. Do you remember getting pulled into mecha when you were younger because you saw Gundam on tv? Imagine how different that would have felt if you saw something like this at the olympics? it’s apples and oranges. I honestly feel there is a huge amount of autistic posters here who see everything in black and white. it’ll not saying it will single handedly change everything but there is no way it won’t have a huge impression on people new to the genre.
>>
>>19931986
The cardboard beds are the weird part. They're made to break and collapse if you move too much on them.
>>
>>19932098
The Olympics always have the athletes fuck all the time, because they're some of the most physically fit humans on the planet and shockingly they find that attractive in each other. The anti-sex beds are an effort to try and stop them from doing that because they'll get Covid, which isn't working because humans are capable of having sex in places other than beds.
>>
>>19932089
Calm down Mr. Big Brain. I certainly hope it would inspire people to get interested in mecha, I just don't think the impact will be drastic.
>>
>>19932106
>The anti-sex beds are an effort to try and stop them from doing that because they'll get Covid
dystopian future shit
>>
File: 1591753604756.jpg (32 KB, 408x321)
32 KB
32 KB JPG
>>19932089
It won't cause shit because there won't even be a gundam in the ceremony retard.
>constant metaposting
Go back to twitter.
>>
>>19932108
I don’t think you understand how different it is to see something in “real life” which is life sized versus a cartoon when it’s something being broadcast around the world. wether it would be a 5 or 10% increase in sales there is no way it won’t have some effect or influence. Just saying it in plain English it’s a life size giant robot. Come on.
>>
>>19932106
The anti-sex beds were something they were already doing in the planning stages before COVID even became a consideration.
>>
>>19932112
Auuuuutism why are you INVESTED emotionally in it not being true? are you on the spectrum?
>>
>>19932114
Nobody's seeing it in real life because they can't go to the Olympics. They're seeing it through their TV screens where it doesn't look half as impressive.
>>
>>19932117
as if anyone is gonna see anything... 4 years of effort went thru the shitter.

and no, i would believe they would feature gundam in the ceremony under normal circumstances, i am not that faget.
>>
>>19932116
You are the only one here invested in convincing people seeing a (supposedly) life sized robot is going to make them rush to the store to buy said robot's merchandise and will make them DEMAND there be a new show about it, and you call me autistic? There is a term used in popular psychology for this but I bet you are already familiar with it.
>>
>>19932116
You're angrily arguing that there's going to be some great awakening for the mecha genre because of a statue that moves around a little but sure we're autistic.
>>
We should just replace the Olympics with the Gundam Fight.
>>
>>19932132
>the Gundam Fight
why not gundam olympics?
>>
>>19932125
>>19932123
Lmao you two are so stupid. I didn’t mean it like that at all. What I meant is that it would attract new fans to the genre. There is an entry point for every new fan, but usually it’s a animation, this for the first time is a physical display and it’s at the olympics which is self explanatory why that’s important because of how many people watch that around the world. If I was talking to a group of shareholders I would say that this will probably increase revenue of Gundam products by 5 percent but that because it will be a lasting memory for so many people, in the next 5 years more and more people will probably start looking into Gundam and similar franchises who otherwise wouldn’t have been interested. having anything happen at the olympics adds a level of authenticity or credibility to things no matter what it is.
>>
>>19932150
Get Imagawa on the phone, now.
>>
>>19932238
nothing like that will happen, stop being delusional
>>
>>19932266
There isn’t anything delusional about it, it’s common sense, you can’t see how small actions can have larger effects over a timespan. the weird one is you for only knowing one word. Do you have brain damage?
>>
it doesn't even walk, it's basically a marionette that's attached to a t-rigging that wobbles around like thunderbirds while the base scoots forward
it can't function outside of its current location
it can't move itself to the olympic venue
>>
>>19932376
So the dream is truly dead?
Does this also mean we're stuck with unicorn in Odaiba while RX-78 will stay in Yokohama for years to come?
>>
>>19931982
Amogus
>>
>>19932527
you delusion that it was ever going to stroll around the opening ceremonies isn't dead, it was never alive
you might as well have expected Minky Momo to show up for the 500m Truck Hit competition
>>
>>19932549
I know they couldn't make it walk alone, but I was hoping they would put a similar display in a stadium for the opening ceremony.
>>
>>19932557
you might get some lame paper mache crap like that big Voldemort from the london games
>>
I love how posters on here are parroting misinformation like the anti-sex beds. It was already proven that that's not what they are.
>>
>>19932570
thank you for correcting the record
>>
>>19932527
Maybe once we perfect the graphene additive materials and develop a good enough power source.
Remember that what Gundam possible was Luna titanium, Minovsky particles and need for intuitive human mind = machine control.
>>
>>19932562
I would be pretty entertained if they brought out a big gaudy Mazinger puppet.
>>
They weren't going to cancel the Olympics over a mild flu
>>
So you guys think people will start doing piano and kabuki lessons after the ceremony? I mean it's one thing to hear it or see it in a movie but this was a live event! What about mimes? Will they see a 10% increase in their industry as well? Loved the ceremony, great stuff. Hope square enix gets to sell some OSTs given people just heard a pretty good composition live.
>>
>>19930999
>>
That was a horrible opening
>>
>>19935696
They already did last year.
>>
>you now remember that some anons on /m/ actually thought the 1:1 Unicorn would fully transform
>>
>>19935902
It wasn't great but it was far from bad.
>>
>>19935983
It was really horrible when you compare it to the last 2 ones. What the fuck, Japan.
>>
>>19931173
>The announcer will call it "Transformer" anyway.

Every commentator at an Olympic opening ceremony gets a giant cheat sheet, with timestamped descriptions of what's happening in the presentation.
A lot of the time, they just read it verbatim.
>>
>>19935996
Why would they plan a more extravagant opening when the thing was already cancelled once and in danger of being cancelled again at the drop of a hat?
>>
>>19936000
they said the songs would be mario kart or some shit and it had 0 nintendo songs
>>
I would have some otaku stuff under more commodious circumstances but I wouldn't have wanted the event to be some weeb prom. Atom/Astro Boy and Godzilla are the only things I would consider to be absolutely essential. Probably Sailor Moon too but I'm not very familiar with it.
>>
>>19931140
It looks really lame to western sensibilities. If it was a cooler one people might care.
>>
>>19931180
It does look like a transformer though. It looks like it should talk. It definitely does not have a plausible military vehicle aesthetic. In the gundam universe that's the Zaku. Gundams are way on th2 transformer side of the scale and literally transform in Zeta and onwards.
>>
I'm ignoring the Olympics, but did they bring out a Gundam?
>>
>>19935902
Where can I watch it?
>>
>>19930999
Nobody's getting into mecha because of Gundam, people can only get into mecha despite Gundam. Nobody wants to watch 200 hours of dated low quality cartoons to get to decent looking shows.
>>
>>19936252
Cartoons looked much better 50 years ago than they do now.
>>
>>19936221
they did not
they showed absolutely nothing related to anime
>>
>>19936328
That's a shame
>>
File: 1266006398469.png (38 KB, 195x193)
38 KB
38 KB PNG
I guess they were afraid someone would hijack the Gundam.
North Koreans?
>>
>>19936252
I'm in love with gundam but i have to agree here. The U.C is the best part but trying to convince people to watch the 1979 series is nearly impossible, it needs a reboot. Zeta and the series that follow are O.K though.
>>
>>19936456
>it needs a reboot
nah the show is fine, no one asks for Star Wars or Star Trek remakes
>>
>>19936328
wow not even Doraemon?
>>
>>19936463
cool, because nobody's talking about star wars or star trek here. There's nothing wrong with updating animation, it's not a rewrite.
>>
>>19936463
Star Trek often does have problems bringing new audiences.

Star Wars was a movie, which ages better. No one would say that first Gundam needs a remake if it looked like Castle of Cagliostro rather than a low budget tv show.
>>
>>19936618
>There's nothing wrong with updating animation
There certainly is if it's gonna look worse.
>>
>>19936463
>Star Trek remakes
We got one anyway and it was awful.
>>
>>19936456
>it needs a reboot because my friends with bad taste won't watch it
I've heard this sentiment multiple times on /m/, it never gets less retarded. Actually it's probably just (You), and in that case, shut up retard
>>
>>19936456
If they can't even sit down long enough to at least get into the movie trilogy which features a lot of still nice-looking animation, especially during Encounters in Space, then Gundam probably isn't for them anyway.
>>
>>19936513
Nope. No Doraemon, no Shin-chan, nothing. They had videogame music though.
>>
>>19932098
>They're made to break and collapse if you move too much on them.
Nah, they can take up to 200 kilos, they're just made of weird recyclable shit
>>
>>19936456
>>19936739
>>19936747
Agreed, if they can't sit through the compilation movies with updated animation then this isn't the series for them.

Let your friends have fun watching My Hero Academia and stop trying to convince them to watch your giant robot war drama.
>>
>>19930999
The cauldron was kino:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=SaZazCIF2uk
>>
>>19937080
>kino
fuck off tourist
>>
>>19935696

And here we have an idiot that missed the memo.
>>
>>19936017
There was plenty of Chrono Trigger and Final Fantasy
>>
>>19937113
It was 90% Square Enix and Bandai Namco.
>>
>>19937080
I HATE POSITIVITY! GO FUCK YOURSELF NORMEI
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (131 KB, 1280x720)
131 KB
131 KB JPG
I spent nearly five seconds looking online for "punished doraemon" and "venom doraemon" to shitpost with
>a robot denied his opening ceremonies
>>
The opening only showed that Japan has culturally lost
>>
>>19938139
shut the fuck up reactionary loser piece of shit
>>
>>19938143
Mad nip? China won LMAO

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.