[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/m/ - Mecha

[Advertise on 4chan]

Name
Spoiler?[]
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File[]
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 70 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

I just finished season 1 of exodus, and I have to say this: Fafner is one of the more unique and interesting modern (and original) mecha shows. It just carries itself differently. It has it's own unique ideas, and it isn't predictable at all. Also, the cast is lovable and competent, the cgi doesn't bother me, and even fits the fafners, the OST is great, and the "anyone can die" rule, makes the show intense to watch. Overall it's a hidden gem, and it sucks that it never caught on around the world.
>>
I really wish we get some kits in the future
>>
Should I wait for the beyond to end, or should I watch the first 6 eps now?
>>
>>19672194
>hidden gem
lol no. Pretty much anyone on this board will have Exodus as one of their top 3 shows of the 2010s. The original is a bit of a different story, but it doesn't really matter. Clearly Fafner caught on enough to be a long lasting franchise that's like 20 years old now and still getting new stuff. Not many anime franchises can say that.
>>
>>19673408
>The original is a bit of a different story, but it doesn't really matter
What do you mean?
>>
>>19673436
I mean that feelings are generally a little more mixed on the original Fafner show. That one's a slow burn. It honestly is pretty boring before the mid show writer switch and I would never recommend it if not for the rest of the franchise being amazing.
>>
>>19672194
Is the show gay or not? I'm fine with it either way, but I can't get a read on it. The two male leads share a kinda suspiciously close relationship, that seems to go beyond best friends.
>>
>>19674974
It's platonic. At best the show's used them for Fujo bait, but that disappeared after Heaven and Earth
>>
I only saw the original and I thought it was inoffensiveness, but pretty forgettable (I mean that literally, not as an insult. I have trouble remembering most of the story). Is one episode of Exodus really that big of a deal?
>>
>>19675054
Not so much disappeared as the main boy basically has the sexuality of a rock alien and only seems to fixate on whoever he feels is in the most danger, much to the sexual frustration of two female cast members and his wingman who is cucked by him.

Kazuki is basically dangersexual, being attracted to whoever or wherever the most danger is at any one point
>>
>>19672194
Sorry I'm kinda new to /m/, is this seed sequel? And athrun is the new mc?
>>
>>19675068
I don't think it'll change your opinion of the series.
I thought Exodus was neat, but not as groundbreaking as OP made it sound.
The Right of Left OVA is probably the best Fafner entry to check out if you want to see what Fafner's all about.
If you like that then you're sure to enjoy the rest.

>>19675072
Kazuki might actually be considered an asexual character.
>>
>>19675068
Exodus starts off kinda average, but it really becomes something special around episode 7 or so due to the introduction of a gamechanging element.
If you've forgotten a lot of the first show, though, Exodus isn't gonna hold your hand. You are expected to keep the fuck up.
>>
OP here, am I the only one who actually liked all of OG Fafner? I liked the characters, the setting, the ideas it presented, and overall how it developed. It always kept me intrigued and wanting to know more. And so far the series has been very unpredictable.
>>
>>19672194
Would it be hilarious If they named it fapner?
>>
>>19675937
No, I was also a big fan of the original series back when that was all there was. I think the original series is actually pretty underated at this point. It's a lot more laid back and driven by the characters and themes, so /m/ tends to like the more plot driven sequels is my impression.
>>
>>19675937
While I liked the OG enough to finish it, and liked a lot more on rewatches, the opening episodes are just really hard to get into. It tries too hard to leave viewers in the dark, so to speak, without even establishing the basic setting very well. Even if it ends up being nothing like an Eva clone, the first episodes tried really hard to set that vibe, which worked against it.
>>
File: DA-16.png (719 KB, 960x720)
719 KB
719 KB PNG
>>19675937
I absolutely love it, I'll always champion DA as having some of the franchise's best beats. Everything about the character relationships, the island preserving a culture of peace, the adults going out of their way to protect the next generation, the concept of coexistence and all the crazy Festum lore, everything. Further installments have expanded on and given particular focus to some of these aspects in amazing ways, but it's all from the foundation that first season laid out, it's all there.
>>
>>19675959
Yes.
>>
Real talk, is Fafner a modern example of a super robot show. It does have a lot of real robot traits, but it also features an alien invasion, mecha being powered by unknown element, mecha gaining fantastical superpowers, and so on.
>>
>>19681154
If anything it's only further proof those terms are restrictive and ultimately meaningless.
>>
>>19681154
It's an example of a show that makes use of both Real and Super traits, as a lot of modern shows do
>>
>>19681154
00 did it first.
>>
>>19681701
Fmp did it first
>>
right of left OVA is probably my favorite out of the franchise. i view it as the war in the pocket of fafner.
>>
>>19681909
I feel about it, like I feel about most short stuff. It's not long enough to get me invested in anybody, but it really wants me to care about everybody. This might just be me, but most movies and episodic shows just don't have an effect on me.
>>
>>19673408
on this board sure, but assuming this board is large is pretty fucking stupid. normies who even like mecha dont even seem to acknowledge the show either because of >hirai
or disinterest.
>>
>>19681701
>2004
>>
>>19682141
I don't dislike Hiraiface, but I have to note that with the artstyle of Exodus, Hirai is less noticeable in the designs.
Also, for some odd reason, this is the first time cgi has not bothered me in a mecha show. I wonder if it's the way Fafners are designed, the way they move, the animation quality or their enemies being so weird, but I am absolutely not bothered by cgi here.
>>
>>19682141
few outside this board know or care about hirai
Fafner is popular in all the places that matter. Mecha communities and Japan. Not the biggest thing in the world, no, but not obscure either.
>>
>>19683982
They should have dubbed season 2.
>>
>>19672194
I self insert as Athrun Zala in seed and seed destiny, is his clone any good here relatively.
>>
Just finished ep 2 of exodus part 2, and holy shit is it depressing...
>>
>>19686412
HOLY SHIT. Poor Olga got like 2 fakeout deaths before being coldly declared dead by orihime.
>>
>>19686585
>>19686412
You haven't seen nothing yet.
>>
>>19672508
Here's your monkey paw:
https://www.goodsmile.info/en/product/10541/MODEROID+Fafner+Mark+Sein.html
>>
>>19688927
Moderoids are pretty alright it sounds like though, I'm hype. Plus Nicht and Alles placed up top in the new poll.
>>
>>19686585
NOOOOOOOOOOO!!! Not Canon! Why must this show hurt me like that. Maybe I am a bit melancholic today because of Miura's death, but I really didn't want her to go. The show is gonna feel so empty without best girl there.
>>
>>19689518
First, thank you.

Second, goodbye.
>>
>>19689588
Pain peko.
>>
Canon is a likely candidate to come back in a future series, considering Kouyou came back as a regular cast member, and in my opinion they died in similar ways. Although he was assimilated by an enemy festum, while she seemed to assimilate back into the island's mir (?)
>>
>>19690327
Yeah I wouldn't count on a similar case, Kouyou was saved from full assimilation and then recovered, Canon is essentially the same as the RoL kids.

But of course, we never did get to see her last sortie.
>>
File: Spoiler Image (458 KB, 1920x1080)
458 KB
458 KB JPG
>>19690334
I'm also still waiting for islands in space so maybe I just have a lot of retarded expectations for this series' direction.
>>
>>19690353
Well we got the bottom of the ocean, so DA was half prophetic so far. But yeah who even knows.
>>
>>19690327
On the one hand, I want her to come back so bad. On the other hand, I respect the writing. Her character was an empty shell of a girl in season 1, who was happy with the idea that she will be blown up by her forces. In Exodus, she willingly goes out with a lot of dignity, and she doesn't want to go, but she puts the needs of her loved ones over her own needs. Such an amazing character development. Bringing her back would be sort of a copout, but seeing how selfless she was, I think she might have earned it. Also, the first 4 episodes of season 2 part 2 have been brutal, and every Victory has been earned through pain and sacrifice. People of D-island get nothing easy. Every positive thing comes at the cost of friends and family dying. And I like that. It is painful to watch, but I have mad respect for the writers, for pulling no punches, and setting the stakes so high.
>>
>>19690353
>>19690437
I'm telling you guys, the next Fafner is gonna overlap with Kaguya-hime and they're gonna go to the moon for some fucking reason because the next version of the island's core needs to go back.
>>
>>19690507
Well...... we do have a Kaguya. But Festum are from much further away than that. Unless they finagle Malespero's big ol Gordius crystal moon into that role?
>>
>>19690514
Crystal on the dark side of the moon that warps to Jupiter, clearly.
>>
Please tell me that the beyond is as good?
>>
>>19690479
Its been awhile since I watched Exodus but I remember it actually having a lower death count than the original. I don't remember anyone dying other than Canon, Hiroto and Soushi (again)
>>
>>19691942
Technically it'd be Hiroto, Canon, Akira, Yumiko, Emery, Orihime, Soushi, plus supporting characters like Olga, and some of the allied NUN people like Narain and Ai. And Billy, I guess.
>>
theres nothing hidden or original in flatner OP.
>>
>>19672194
Any modle kits? I would love to own a child of nothingness kit.
>>
>>19692831
Huh?
>>
Damn this show can be complicated. Episode 22 had so much information in it, that my brain crashed. Also, the character designs being so similar, makes it a bit hard to remember everyone. I guess I will enjoy this show a lot more on a future rewatch.
>>
>>19697833
Do feel free to ask if anything's confusing, answers DO exist for a majority of the complicated bits.
>>
Do Rina and Sui become a couple in the future?
>>
>>19703120
Watch and find out.
>>
Man Fafner has been so underrated for two very specific reasons.
>Season 1 is old, and most don't have the initiative to go back to the early digital age of anime, to watch a show that starts out like an eva clone
>And maybe because of that, season 2 didn't get dubbed, and thus even more people are missing out on it
Even if one doesn't like dubs, they still bring exposure to a series. They could have left 20-30 generic Echhi's and isekai's unlicensed and undubbed, to do Fafner instead. Good thing this show has a japanese following though, because that's what matters. Still it's sad that people are just sleeping on a great series.
>>
can anyone help me out? I want to add the second ED of Exodus ("Horizon (ホライズン)" by angela) to my music playlist, but I can't find the full version anywhere.
>>
>>19703340
Doesn't really matter. The west hates mechs.
>>
Just finished Exodus, and holy shit did it hit hard. Not a dull moment in the entire season. Everything moved fast, the big holy shit moments kept hitting hard, the small quiet moments hit even harder, and I am pretty sure the finale killed/took away like 8-9 characters. Damn, this was such an amazing ride. I know the last part of Exodus ain't out yet, but I think I'll watch right up to that. How long might it take for the last part to come out?
>>
>>19703721
Beyond's last part is just tentatively "2021" for the theater screening, so I'd give it till at LEAST next spring for the BD. Welcome to the waiting and suffering club.
>>
>>19703877
Not the first series where it took forever to wait for individual eps. I remember patiently waiting for Gundam the origin eps, and I caught up at ep 2. But no it's all done.
A question though. Will Beyond have something resembling an ending, or are we getting more Fafner in the future? On the one hand, if the quality is kept up, I wouldn't mind more Fafner, but on the other hand, I want to see how the story ends, and my can't stand much more suffering.
>>
>>19672194
I can't take this show seriously when everyone looks like a SEED character.
Yes, I know they are from the same artist but holy shit he didn't even bother making them stand out
>>
>>19704094
>Will Beyond have something resembling an ending, or are we getting more Fafner in the future?
This is up in the air with no official word, but a lot of stuff in Beyond seems designed to set up future series. At this point I'm pretty sure it's designed to lead into something else.
>>
>>19703120
>Do Rina and Sui become a couple in the future?
You saw the butt scene huh? Loved that, and my /ss/ fetish loved it too. Real talk though, I bet the guy who came up with the idea for Franxx, literally got it from this one scene?
>>
>>19704145
>my /ss/ fetish
It still amazes me they got away with pairing up a 19-year-old girl and 14-year-old boy and made it believable.
>>
>>19704145
So did he get to look at her butt afterwards? The show never answered that...
>>19704223
Considering the absolutely messed up situation they live in, I think it's totally okay. Besides, they are pilots who can die at any minute, so they deserve eachother.
>>
>>19704145
>the butt scene
Hold on a minute! Aren't all the pilots connected to that one guy in the Siegfried System? Did he overhear that conversation too?
>>
>>19705385
>Aren't all the pilots connected to that one guy in the Siegfried System?
Zero Fafner isn't to my understanding. That's one of the reasons why it has two pilots. It generates a psychic link between them to block mind reading instead of connecting to the Siegfried system. Same thing the Crossing System does, but the Zero Fafner's is more primitive and can't connect to another unit remotely. The other reason for the two pilots is to split the assimilation damage done by piloting it so pilots can actually live long enough to finish a battle.
>>
>gf has a super robot pilot fetish
lucky Reo
>>
>>19705632
Nah, Zero should still be a part of the Crossing. It's how they even communicate with the others in the first place, and there's no reason it couldn't have been upgraded to handle that is it could be upgraded (internally) with the Einherjar system.
>>
>>19691897
Personally, Beyond feels like a lot of missed potential. The general story seems interesting, the action and animation are about as good as Exodus, but the core of what I really loved from Fafner, the characters and their interactions, are really missing. Mostly a symptom of it only being 12 episodes long, so almost all the time needs to be spent on moving the plot along, and any character focus is almost all limited to the main characters.

It feels odd to say this since Fafner has that whole despair connotation, but Beyond just feels too serious. The other shows always had a balance of giving a lot of cheery and lovable character scenes so that it hits way harder when bad things happen. Beyond is mostly relying on those moments from previous seasons instead of setting up its own moments like that, despite the large amount of time that passed and how much older said characters have become.
>>
>>19706230
>Mostly a symptom of it only being 12 episodes long
>It doesn't seem like it's gonna have a definitive end
>It sold well enough to warrant a sequel
Either we have getting the beyond part 2, or another tv show. I think it's okay if the movies focus more on story and spectacle, and then a tv shiw would focus more on characters. But also we might enter Fafner fatigue pretty soon. There is only so many times people can enjoy the same D-island/NUN/Festum dance, before it gets boring.
>>
>>19706230
>>19706903
I mean The Beyond is for all intents and purposes a TV anime, in format, runtime, everything, the theater screenings are even billed as "pre-screenings". I'm convinced it's only working out this way to avoid the crunch an actual TV series would have, since they can just make up whatever release dates they want.

By that standard, shoving an entire convoluted Fafner plot into effectively a 1-cour show is bound to have some hiccups. I think it mostly works though, not like it's the first time, HaE and even Exodus to some extent had a LOT to juggle for their runtime too.
>>
>>19682141
Right, if you hate that god awful character design, must be a normie.
>>
>>19692094
Feels like we lost a few more people. I counted like 8+ people either dying or disappearing in the finale alone.
>>
>>19709745
Who?
>>
Billy's death was such a great scene. That bitch got dome shot.
>>
When Kazuki and Maya get together and have a baby?
>>
>>19714120
Kazuki probably can't even get it up for anyone that isn't Soushi.
>>
>>19714120
Soon.
>>
>>19714120
i would be amazed if maya wasn't completely sterile by now
>>
>>19681154
>le ebin real and le ebin super!!
Stop talking.
>>
The kid who shares his design with Rey/Rau, turns out to be a crazy, late game villain, who has a major issue about being cloned.
>>
>>19718344
ok
>>
Just passing by and checking about this show, makes me wonder if the Mark Sein design was ripped off by Fromsoft to create the White Glint.
>>
File: E2hA0X-WQAIdyOf.jpg (3.38 MB, 3886x2932)
3.38 MB
3.38 MB JPG
NICHT BABY
>>
>>19719688
Guess I need to make another preorder now.
>>
File: 1451700052278.webm (2.99 MB, 540x304)
2.99 MB
2.99 MB WEBM
>>19706953
I basically prefer this to a movie, I think biggest reason people feel nostalgic/disappointed is so much time had passed + threads are not as fast, we're not theorizing and fanboying or creating exciting webums every week. Assuming you were here for the last run.
>>
exodus is fucking trash, original is the only fafner
>>
>>19720772
Honestly I appreciate the novelty here, don't see that one as often.
>>
>>19703571
You want an actual .flac file or just on youtube or something?
>>
>>19719688
Do we know what colors this is gonna be in? I prefer original black Nicht
>>
>>19721594
Original black Nicht had a completely different shape. This is definitely the purple Nicht from H&E onward.
>>
>>19720977
Youtube would be easier, but I'll take anything you will give.
>>
>>19722744
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qCUXD1T6Sk0
>>
>>19723539
Thank you man. This goes straight into my /m/ playlist.
>>
>dramatic exposition happens
https://youtube.com/watch?v=vGaWc-umWnQ
>>
I think I am gonna rewatch season 1. Feels like the right thing to do, before going beyond.
>>
>>19726736
I rewatched beyond 1-3 before watching 4-6 and rewatched 1-6 before 7-9. I'm looking forward to rewatching 1-9 before 10-12 because there's always 6+ month gaps between each release.
>>
Every now and then I get a new friend to watch Fafner with me and my newest victim asked a question I didn’t have an answer to: why does Kazuki like Soushi so much?
I never really questioned this and just accepted they have been close friends since forever and became fixated on each other because of that defining/traumatic incident in their childhood.
But then why did Soushi want to become one with Kazuki as a child, or was it just because Kazuki was there by chance and it could‘ve been anyone else too?
>>
>>19727001
frens
>>
>>19727001
Soushi would've likely tried to assimilate anyone near him at the time, but who knows if anyone beside Kazuki would've known to tear out his eye to stop it (those top tier Kazuki genes, after all). I think it's more likely that the two were just regular close friends up until that point, but because of the accident, Kazuki entire focus became about Soushi. Why he did that to Soushi, why Soushi supposedly didn't tell anyone about it, why Soushi didn't blame him, what he could do to apologize to Soushi, etc. etc. Spending years practically obsessed with one person then sort of twisted that previous "close friendship" into everything we see in the series.
>>
>>19672194
That's just fucking Athrun. Jesus, Hirai really can only recycle the same 4 designs.
>>
>>19681909
Also has the best song out of the franchise.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-IIfHI_jwgU
>>
>>19705717
How did Reo get so goddamn sexy?
>>
File: 1606783548836.png (1.54 MB, 1000x1125)
1.54 MB
1.54 MB PNG
>>19728442
how did they do it?
>>
>>19728442
Timeskips.
>>
>>19703633
Weebs of the 90s and 00s like mechs. But these days it seems the newest generation of weebs doesn't care about them.
>>
>>19731346
90's maybe, not the 00's for sure.
>>
>>19731504
Full Metal Panic, Code Geass, TTGL, and Eureka 7 were pretty popular. And SEED, Destiny, and 00 weren't unknown. But man, I can't think of any /m/ series of the 2010s that made a splash in the Western anime fandom, especially in the later part of the decade. Aside from maybe Unicorn?
>>
>>19731547
I was expecting those examples as a counterpoint (I'd add in Macross Frontier in that bunch as well.) Yes, they were popular but it wasn't really because of the mecha. Weebs were more focused on the characters and plots than the mech designs. It's also pretty damn easy to be surrounded by indifference/dislike of mecha, offline and online, during this time.

t. 90's kid

>2010's
Franxx that's pretty much it.
>>
>>19731563
>Weebs were more focused on the characters and plots than the mech designs
So the same as every other /m/ show then
>>
>>19731574
That was, and still is, the style of the time.
>>
>>19731563
That's a fair point, since it seems that the ones I listed (save TTGL) non-/m/ fans cared more for the character drama over the the mecha action. And man, I forgot about Franxx. I just remember thinking to myself
>man I should just go rewatch TTGL and E7 again
>>
File: 1615039376408.jpg (169 KB, 1920x1080)
169 KB
169 KB JPG
miwa...
>>
>>19731607
Last time I watched E7 I was just struck by how fucking bad a writer Dai Sato is. Everything about that show is either blatantly 0079 rehashing, or extremely stupid science that sounds like Dai Sato was watching Ancient Aliens and unironically making the hand gestures.
That show is carried so hard by its base concept of sky surfing mechs, but goddamn so much of it is bad. You could cut half the series out and lose literally nothing.
>>
>>19672194
>>19681154
> 2004
Good show, but I wouldn't call a 2004 show ''modern'' anymore. I bet there are people who were born in 2004 lurking here.
Remember that 2004 is closer to 1988 than 2021.
>>
>>19732103
>>
>>19733395
/m/ is stuck in a timeloop where current year is still 2007.
>>
>>19733863
I wish.
>>
File: 1387851887313.gif (1.49 MB, 346x261)
1.49 MB
1.49 MB GIF
>>19733863
So are we just always stuck in 2007, or do we oscillate plus and minus a few years around it?
>>
>>19734031
>>19733863
The world ended in 2012
>>
>>19733395
>I bet there are people who were born in 2004 lurking here.
They should fuck off.
>>
File: 1615309337825.png (2.22 MB, 1919x1079)
2.22 MB
2.22 MB PNG
>>
Time flies by. I've only ever watched the original when it first came out. Over the years I saw there was an OVA or two sure, but whatever. Now there's a whole sequel series? And that now was six years ago? Wild.

I felt the first got kind of giddy with blindsiding you with character deaths for the first half to two thirds of the series, but it settled down after that. And frankly I recall the lore being a bit impenetrable, even by the standards of the kind of mystery anime made in Evas wake.

I see the entire franchise has been penned by one guy since the second half of the first series (Since those mass deaths settled down?) Has it all held together and felt like they're slowly revealing a cohesive narrative? Or are there asspulls and shock moments just to churn out more and more?
>>
>>19734508
We go to plus when a new BD remaster of an old property comes out. Minus when we get used to it.
>>
>>19733395
I'm so old and crotchety any anime made with chiefly digital tools feels new to me. Even though there's a huge gap between the original batch that looked muddy as hell on any good display, and the current batch that can look decent on anything.
>>
>>19735168
There's a certain feeling of "we don't know if we'll get more" each installment, but the series really uses the passage of time to its advantage. It doesn't handhold at all with continuity and expects you to keep up, but the status quo is also different enough each time that new additions feel natural. It's a real worthwhile ride if you ever dive back in.

Your stance on the character deaths is funny though since the whole series is pretty ruthless with them. Even later on in that first season, stuff like ep 23 is a rough one since something like 6 or 8 named characters die.
>>
File: E225GeEVoAYwl3N.jpg (405 KB, 1830x2048)
405 KB
405 KB JPG
Didn't think this guy had any fans.
>>
Been meaning to get around to it, especially if someone here organizes a marathon.
>>
>>19672194
You are wrong on all counts. Its crap
>https://anilist.co/review/3130
>>
>>19736798
that would be nice. It has been a while since I watched the first season.
>>
>>19736820
Oh no a review on some shitty MAL clone, how will we ever recover.
>>
>>19736787
>deathflag dad
>no fans
>>
>>19736787
I love dad la flaga.
>>
>>19672194
>one of the most popular mecha anime of the pas two decades
>le hidden gem
>>
>>19740705
I mean it's popular among lost cause robot nerd deviants like us, but even semi-seasoned average anime fans have never heard of the damn thing.
>>
>>19740705
Nobody has heard of it. I asked around and literally nobody had any idea what Fafner is.
>>
>>19741796
>>19740899
>Caring what western fans think
lol
lmao
>>
>>19741804
It's not the opinions I care about, I am just surprised by the high quality of the show, and the fact that so many anime watchers, who think they have seen everything good from 2010-20, have literally never heard of it.
>>
>>19743331
The first few episodes didn't leave a good impression and with anime fans, being the fickle fucks that they are, most never gave it a second chance.
>>
>>19743436
Yeah, Exodus part 1 is a slow burn (though and interesting one for those who enjoyed season 1, prequel and movie), but then again, a lot of great anime are slow burns at the start. Meanwhile once Exodus picks up, every episode is great.
>>
>>19743679
What's wrong with slow burns?
>>
>>19746083
Nothing, but people these days want instant gratification. If the show doesn't have Nonstop action every episode, and a plot simple enough for a hamster to understand, they'll complain that nothings happening, they don't know what's going on, and that the show is boring.
>>
>Story will end when all alvis adult characters die
>>
>>19746704
Except Maya.
>>
>>19746711
Kazuki will reborn like Soushi, and New-Kazuki will become Maya step-son.
>>
>>19743331
well it's a bit ugly
>>
>>19747090
but I want them to have consensual sex in the missionary position with the intent to procreate.
>>
Okay, I want to get into this. What's the best rip?
>>
>>19749341
There used to be a MEGA link floating around, maybe someone still has it.
>>
>>19749341
For the first season at least you'll be good going with Philosophy-Raws.
>>
>>19748675
>well it's a bit ugly
Where? It looks amazing in almost every shot. It's downright cinematic in it's attention to detail, and even the cgi looks on point (I'd say it's the best mecha cgi around).
>>
>>19751482
it looks like 2000's jank
>>
>>19751501
Just to be sure, we are talking about Exodus or the original series. Because yes, the original looks like an early digital show. But Exodus is the best looking show of it's year, and if you disagree, then I know you are just trolling.
>>
>>19752149
Must've been a pretty shit year.
>>
>>19749281
>Canon got cucked out of existence to make that possible.
>>
So I'm halfway through S1 (about 10 episodes in, protag guy just got kidnapped by Arche Gundam and Rambo). I'm having trouble keeping up with all the names, is there a cheat sheet or something?
>>
>>19755861
>I'm having trouble keeping up with all the names
I still had trouble keeping up with the names, by the end of exodus. Realistic Hiraiface does create that problem. Like in Seed, I could always tell who is who, but here we have just a bit too many boys, who are the same age and have the same-ish haircut.
>>
So I just finished S1, but there's still 3 files left in the folder
>Arcadian memory 1 and 2
>OVA
Are these compilations or new content? Do I have to watch them before S2? Where do I go form here?
>>
>>19757738
>Arcadian Memory
Recaps/sort of weird soundtrack presentation. Super skippable.

>OVA
Should be Right of Left, which is up next. After THAT is the movie, Heaven and Earth. Only after both of those do you go to s2.
>>
File: Salvator.jpg (64 KB, 830x580)
64 KB
64 KB JPG
>>19757738
also, I have a bunch of questions
>What exactly is the Mir? Is it like a central node for the Festum hivemind? Or is each Festum a Mir and the ons in the north pole and the island's air are just big ones?
>How are the Nachtung(sp?) models superior to Megatherion and Babalon? The "worse" models have no trouble taking out Festum and even seem capable of standalone flight, something only Maya's unit can do with a huge backpack
>Why did they transform the cool as hell Salvator model into the generic Mark Sein? I liked it better with the wings, at least Mark Nicht was cool
Finally, there's a core plot concept I think I may have misunderstood, so I'd like some clarification. The entire plot is based on the question "are you there?". Saying no is rejecting individuality and joining the hive mind, while saying yes means choosing an individual existence. But Festum don't give people the choice, they just assimilate everyone. Why do they ask the question then? Also, there seems to be a weird motivation conflict with the Festum. They say they want to udnerstand humanity, and thus learn concepts like life, death, pain, etc. But they also want to treturn to nothing, and claim such emotions are meaningless when you don't exist. So which is it? Do they want to learn new things, ro do they want to erase all things?
>>
>>19757745
Great, although I'll have to find a new torrent for RoL since it's not subbed in PS's release.
>>
>>19757758
The [Festum] release should be good.
>>
>>19757755
>What exactly is the Mir? Is it like a central node for the Festum hivemind? Or is each Festum a Mir and the ons in the north pole and the island's air are just big ones?
Sort of both? You've got a pretty decent grasp of it actually. At the end of the day Mir are the whole thing, all these big space rock problems come from them. They're usually immobile giant crystals and create a swarm of Festum as extensions of themselves to do their bidding. A later installment compares them to fingers, which is an easy way to look at it. Each Festum is technically a small portion of its parent Mir, but not to enough of an extent to be too aware MOST of the time. If you take off too big a chunk though it becomes its own separate Mir, like how part of the Mir discovered in Japan ended up as Tatsumiya's.

>How are the Nachtung(sp?) models superior to Megatherion and Babalon? The "worse" models have no trouble taking out Festum and even seem capable of standalone flight, something only Maya's unit can do with a huge backpack
Those two aren't really that "bad" like you say, better than the little Gnosis Models the Human Army also used. But the Nothung Models have cores made from Festum material, which aid in preventing Festum mind-reading, kinda the whole selling point of Fafners.

>Why did they transform the cool as hell Salvator model into the generic Mark Sein? I liked it better with the wings, at least Mark Nicht was cool
I still love transformed Sein, but I guess just to sell the alien-ness in the design more, and it shows an actual "transformation" to mirror Kazuki's emotional state. Some of them get pretty wild.
>>
>>19757755
>>19757820
>So which is it? Do they want to learn new things, ro do they want to erase all things?
By nature Festum do just want all life to be part of them, by and large the Mir seem to be just acting on natural instinct. That's what the question is, just a mind probe designed to get people's attention, it could be anything, but a question is what ends up working.

But more than any "want" they inherently don't UNDERSTAND human emotions and individuality. They touch on it briefly, but the one Mir sterilizing Japan? It thought it was being helpful, that humans were hurting ourselves by "dividing" into more pieces, that's the level of alien we're dealing with. With more experience and interaction with humanity though certain conflicts start to rise up, like we see with the two Master-types in s1 learning emotions and managing to stand apart from their Mir. So as time goes on it's more like a matter of them accidently developing from those interactions, and humanity trying to use that to bridge the gap between them.

I hope any of this make sense.
>>
File: Dog of Judgement.png (510 KB, 960x720)
510 KB
510 KB PNG
Well, that was hilariously bleak. The Titan models were cool though, even if they seemed purposely designed to be as deadly to the pilots as possible
>>19757820
>>19757822
Thanks for the clarifications. Onto Heaven and Earth right?
>>
>>19757930
>purposely designed to be as deadly to the pilots as possible
Built-in Siegfried is a hell of a drug.

And yeah HaE next, enjoy the visual shift.
>>
What's preventing the Human Army and Alvis to properly set up a truce and fight truly together at this point? Hester, the former's leader, seems willing to cooperate with the latter now that they share the same goals, but the relationship still feels cool to put it nicely.
>>
>>19747090
That'll never happen. Remember the end of Exodus? Kazuki is doomed. He's the eternal soldier. Epilogue will jump ahead with Kazuki watching over the descendants of both the humans and festum as they go beyond Earth.
>>
File: He big.png (1.12 MB, 1280x720)
1.12 MB
1.12 MB PNG
Okay, so I watched Heaven and Earth and, to be honest, it felt like Awakening of the Trailblazer Fafner ver.
The visuals were great, the CGI didn't feel out of place. A shame there were only two new designs and the rest were the usual recolors, I want new designs already.
Speaking of designs, the Zero was awesome. But was it destroyed? At one point it punches a pillar and blasts it, and they never show the Zero or the pilots again, not even in the ending "everyone was okay" shots. Mark Nicht's redesign was... okay, I like the original Salvator frame better.
I felt like the plot was kinda contradictory, the humans are all like "let's talk, let's open the way for dialogue" while at the same time shooting up their nursery and going disco mode with lasers on top of it. First scene in the movie is a Sphinx clutching one of those "incubation pods" as if it were precious, but during the "dialogue" scene Keijo is just minigunning them by the dozen. Wut?
Finally, it felt really weird that nobody died (unless the Zero is kill). Like, they're presenting this as a super dire situation, an unwinnable fight, and not even one of the newbies bites it?
Welp, moving on. What comes next? Exodus? The Beyond? Some other movie? I hope they give best girl Canon more screentime and stop making her job
>>
>>19758326
>Was the Zero destroyed
No, the biggest hiccup in HaE is what happens with the Zero but the Zero, Rika and Akira are just fine. They just ran out of budget to show they were
>>
>>19758326
Exodus is next.

And yeah the Zero Fafner is fine, the twins didn't die, definite weird directorial choice to literally have them in a dramatic anime explosion fade though. On the whole it is generally the most traditional "happy end" the series has given us, with nobody dying and Soushi back. That has its appeal though, actually representing the hopeful tone Fafner maintains.

And I mean, ignoring the Human army/NUN being dicks, Tatsumiya will fight back when they're being attacked, which is what it boils down to. They want to communicate but it's hard when weird talking Festum with uncertain goals are cutting your home off from even sunlight.
>>
File: AkiraDA.png (780 KB, 960x720)
780 KB
780 KB PNG
>>19758326
Fun factoid that's obligated to come up every time somebody watches HaE, Akira, Rina's twin brother, was actually in DA. Just relegated to the occasional background shot like so with the younger kids. Sure works out they went "oh he was mute btw" with it.
>>
>>19758353
Right, but there was no talking by Miwa; like at all. All the R boat did was torpedo the hive ship, then have Zero genocide the drones while Keijo mowed down the babies, and then Kazuki talked the new guy into talking to his Mir. All the attack on the hive ship did was clear the way for the nuke strike
>>
>>19758326
> Finally, it felt really weird that nobody died
Cherish this moment young one. Hold it deep in your heart. Hold it close.
>>
>>19758372
Kenji

And I see what you mean but by that point I think it was just a matter of protecting what they could with as far south as things were going. SOMETHING had to be done and so far nothing else was working. Not like they knew about the Human Army incoming, either.
>>
File: Whoops.png (1.68 MB, 1920x1080)
1.68 MB
1.68 MB PNG
So I just started exodus, what exactly is the timeline for these events? I'm pretty sure subs were wrong because they said 2050 for the Hawaii attack, but that's like 100 years before the first season, and Festums have only been around for 30 by that point. How much time passes between each season? Were the Fafners in the Hawaii attack first gens or current models?
Also, did Mizuguchi cuck Fumihiko? Maya calls him dad
>>
>>
>>19759143
Should be 2150. I think the original subs had mislabeled it as 2050, even if the JP subtitles clearly saying 2150. Exodus is 2 years after Exodus, and the NUN Fafners during the Hawaii attack are their latest models (you can tell since they're finally equipped with cores so they don't get instant-killed by Festum worm spheres).

And nah, Maya treats Mizoguchi as a dad since he's the closest thing she has to a father figure, but that's only personally. Chizuru and Fumihiko are still the pair that everyone knows is gonna happen.
>>
>>19759143
>Did Mizuguchi cuck Fumihiko
No, Maya just literally had a massive father figured shaped hole in her life and filled it with Mizuguchi

You'll see how well that works out for her as the show continues when you decide to model your life on the TACTICOOL survivor.
>>
File: smug best girl.jpg (99 KB, 1280x720)
99 KB
99 KB JPG
>>19759534
> Chizuru and Fumihiko are still the pair that everyone knows is gonna happen.
Oh boy, you really should watch ZA BEYONDO
>>
>>19759806
I already know, but I try not to even hint at spoilers for future series while someone is watching for the first time.
>>
>>19759806
>>19759862
Also like despite how things go they DO end up together. Just, it's mostly offscreen.
>>
I've finally started watching The Beyond and I feel like after all this time I should have rewatched the series like I did right before Exodus came out because I fee lost. All the basics I remember are still in place but I can't remember anyone from the current enemy faction anymore and I know I should.
>>
>>19760475
Most of the Beyond villains besides Malespero and Chaos who both got new names are new and introduced in Media Res.
>>
I want to fuck Makabe so bad
>>
File: SCRONCH.png (2.39 MB, 1920x1080)
2.39 MB
2.39 MB PNG
>>19758374
starting to see what you meant
>>
>>19761252
It's only the beginning friend. Steel your heart and know that your eyes will experience exodus.
>>
>>19761252
>>19761276
YOU WILL SOON LEARN
>>
File: who.png (1.79 MB, 1920x1080)
1.79 MB
1.79 MB PNG
Am I supposed to remember her from somewhere? I think they mentioned she died in plan L but I don't remember any braided girls in that
>>
File: Sanae.png (1.32 MB, 1440x1080)
1.32 MB
1.32 MB PNG
>>19762834
She was in the L Plan but yeah just one of the other pilots, had her hair cut short like Yumi though. Mostly just a nice bit of connective tissue story-wise and for Sui's sake.
>>
File: not-canon.png (2.01 MB, 1920x1080)
2.01 MB
2.01 MB PNG
I don't really understand how her power works, but the Samurai Jack episode was pretty cool.
Getting real tired of the whole "40 years in the desert" arc though, I get it, Moses reference, the show is called Exodus, but this shit's been dragging on for like 10 episodes with monster of the week encounters. Did /m/ do episode threads while this aired? Did people get tired of it too or is it just me?

On a completely different note, what happened with Mark Elf? The core was used to power Sein, but what about the body? Did they just leave it in Moldova base?
>>
>>19764008
>Did /m/ do episode threads while this aired? Did people get tired of it too or is it just me?
I think most people were too caught up in the speculation and hype to really mind. I wasn't a huge fan of the more montage-y episodes like 14, but on the whole didn't mind the plotline.

Elf was probably just left and destroyed with the base yeah, Fafner bodies seem to be treated pretty flippantly unlike the actual cores. Susanoo is sort of a "spiritual successor", but yeah a separate machine still.
>>
>>19764008
Dude, for me, the first 5 or so eps of season 2 of Exodus, were some of the best eps ever. Every episode was hard hitting and strong. And I fail to see how the eps dealing with the human army trying to ROE alpha them, are monster of the week. If anything, these guys made the show so much more intense and depressing.
>>
>>19762834
You'll see that this happens a lot in Fafner, like how Akira was a mute background character in the original series, but then got promoted to voiced pilot in H&E. Sui's sister was one of the RoL pilots, but actually watching RoL, it's obviously focused on Ryo and Yumi, so you wouldn't know her except in the background. Fafner just likes bringing connections with previous cast members every now and then, like how Ryo's aunt is also in Exodus, and some other stuff.
>>
File: They fuckin.png (1.94 MB, 1920x1080)
1.94 MB
1.94 MB PNG
Are haircuts just a Yaoi metaphor for fucking? I remember 00 gundam did the same thing
>>19764048
I was talking about the episodes leading up to that, felt like there were 3 or 4 episodes in a row of
>Convoy advances
>We're too slow!/spread out/hopeless!/hungry!
>Ghost kid acting sus, probably nothing
>Oh no, Festum ate some civvies!
>Repeat
Glad it's over, seems like the plot is picking back up. Here are my current predicitions:
>Mir forest is getting burned down, Avatar-style
>Fake mom is actually a good Festum
>Commander teamkiller will probably get eaten by Festum
>The rat is actually commander scarface or Soushi, the frog is just looking through their festum eyes
>>
>>19764097
inb4 people keep trying to be cute with "subtle" spoiler hinting.
>>
>>19764118
Planning on finishing Exodus today anyways. Still hoping they're going to turn Alvis into a spaceship ever since they mentioned the air mir could let them live in space, expected that to be why the season was called Exodus.
Maybe The Beyond.
>>
>>19764097
>They fucking
Not on Maya's watch.
>>
>>19764179
>Maya watching
Sounds about right.
>>
File: Shoko no Pico.png (2.39 MB, 1920x1080)
2.39 MB
2.39 MB PNG
>>19764179
>>19764187
You think she was standing on top of that container with a gun because she expected the spies? No, she was ready to execute plan homo-b-gone
>>
no way Tow Ubukata wrote something good.
>>
>>19764203
Welcome to uh, 2004?
>>
>>19764203
Let me guess, you only know him through Psycho-Pass.
>>
>>19764008
The point of the Death March was always to hammer home just how sheltered and idealistic the island kids were.

Sure, Hester had tried to nuke em once or twice, but this was meant to be the first real taste of what life is like for people who didn't get born on magic peace island with camouflage. It shows how each of them handle it.
It mind breaks Akira, Hirito's naivety gets him killed, Kazuki basically constantly puts himself in situations where he doesn't actually have to deal with any of the actual moral problems, and Maya and Soushi are left to clean up the mess. It's there to remind you that the Earth actually is fucked. Humanity literally does only survive in tiny little highly protected pockets of civilization and if the protections fall then both other humans and Festum will be quick to pick off the weak.

Canon's Power operates under what is basically a Selective Future Vision. Canon can visualize the future she wants but she basically can only visualize a future where she is alive, so she basically has to keep reloading scenarios where she's alive to gather information. It's a power really only she could abuse both due to her pilot skill and her being an actual mechanic, so she basically was leap frogging on herself to speed up research development. The issue however was for a good portion of her run time, she was subconsciously sabotaging herself. Her subconscious was basically giving her coordinates for "Timelines where I have a chance to reunite with Kazuki on the island" rather than "Timelines where I finish development of the Einjahrhar" and only when she manages to reach her end goal and realize "I have an out" if she committed to that timeline pathway does she basically get her brain to commit to "I'm going to be making jumps to timelines where THE MOST people live."

tl;dr she had a search filter on for futures that required "I see Kazuki again on the island in the future" and that was fucking up her plan
>>
>>19764366
I don't know if Canon's SDP is really that selective, honestly. Her initial focus was always surviving past the "tied" point in time, and she was almost literally killing off possibilities by "winning" in a given scenario. It's just the classic timeloop idea of incrementally progressing over and over and over, but on a very accelerated scale with any control of the situation being pretty blind at best. Even the Einherjar creation was basically handed to her by stumbling into it with an unintentional vision.

Yeah she says she wished for a future where she'd be with Kazuki, but I wouldn't put stock in that as an actual literal goal, conscious or not. Like she said, it was a wish.

Last sortie when?
>>
File: Based.png (2.54 MB, 1920x1080)
2.54 MB
2.54 MB PNG
Just finished Exodus, I liked it. Death March arc went on for a bit too long and the plot was a bit weak at times (lol puppets) but overall I'd say it's my favorite Fafner so far. (No OP comes close to Shangri-La though). Loved the design variety and the SDPs were a cool addition. Question time:
>What was Maya's SDP? During the final battle her Sieben is equipped with the "canon accelerator", but she doesn't seem to manifest any SDP
>Speaking of Maya, how did she never experience any Assimilation? She's retired first gen pilot at the beginning of the show, spends the entire show piloting in awful conditions without medicine, and even used a Salvator for a bit. Are her genes just that good?
>Kazuki reverses assimilation many times during the season, from the Srinagar soldiers to restoring Mimika (without chuuni eyepatch). Does this mean he didn't fix the rest of the pilots because he didn't feel like it?
>Won't all the adults die of cancer now? They mentioned the air on the boats would only sustain the sick lady for a while, but nearly everyone in the island is riddled with cancer. Also, aren't they all sterile still? They left behind the wombs on the island
>Just how long did the HF have Altair for? The plot of the previous shows doesn't really make sense knowing that they had their own Mir all along...
>What's next? Beyond?
>>
>>19764417
>What was Maya's SDP? During the final battle her Sieben is equipped with the "canon accelerator", but she doesn't seem to manifest any SDP
"Multidimensional vision", that was what let her target multiple things at once at that time.

>Speaking of Maya, how did she never experience any Assimilation? She's retired first gen pilot at the beginning of the show, spends the entire show piloting in awful conditions without medicine, and even used a Salvator for a bit. Are her genes just that good?
Basically. Common fan belief is Bartland literally just minmaxed her to hell. He's insane and Chizuru was the one in charge of all the baby engineering so it's not unreasonable.

>Kazuki reverses assimilation many times during the season, from the Srinagar soldiers to restoring Mimika (without chuuni eyepatch). Does this mean he didn't fix the rest of the pilots because he didn't feel like it?
Even he has his limits, like how those that died still died. Akira is a good example of this, traditional Fafner assimilation THAT severe can't just be undone, while Mimika was still "alive enough" to basically get pulled back out.

>Won't all the adults die of cancer now? They mentioned the air on the boats would only sustain the sick lady for a while, but nearly everyone in the island is riddled with cancer. Also, aren't they all sterile still? They left behind the wombs on the island
Wadatsumi has Ashoka which seems to be the next best thing as far as cooperation goes. And consider by this point any of the adults that were affected have pretty much had kids already. They should be able to remake the test tube baby technology, but more and more islanders now are either integrated from other countries, so unaffected, or younger generations that are safe because of Festum DNA.
>>
>>19764417
>>19764461
>Just how long did the HF have Altair for? The plot of the previous shows doesn't really make sense knowing that they had their own Mir all along...
Prometheus you mean? Vagrant was acquired during the Heaven's Door Operation according to Hester, which was the final battle in the first season. So presumably it'd have to be after that, they had a Mir they were looking to use and needed a way to control it, so went ahead and murderfucked Wadatsumi to steal their Core along with a bonus extra Mir.

>What's next? Beyond?
Yep. Then you're caught up.
>>
Not that anon, but is current Alvis stronger or weaker than their previous rosters? They have less Fafner units, but have higher quality ones but their personnel are dropping like flies it makes me wonder if they're going to last long enough to get to space or something.
>>
>>19764467
As of Beyond? The Element boys, three Salvators, and a few Einherjars isn't bad by any means, but yeah they keep losing pilots and Fafners and even the staff are complaining there's not enough of them, so still pretty handicapped.
>>
>>19764462
Oh, I thought it was the other way around and they had Prometheus since before S1
>>
>>19764504
No indication of that, though Bartland's involvement in things does raise a lot of questions about the timeline. Considering Hester just says "Bartland's research" though it seems like a lot of the crazier Puppet stuff was probably posthumous.
>>
>>19764417
>>Won't all the adults die of cancer now? They mentioned the air on the boats would only sustain the sick lady for a while, but nearly everyone in the island is riddled with cancer. Also, aren't they all sterile still? They left behind the wombs on the island
Sakura's mom was specifically had it worse with her cancer. Other adults might be able to survive without island protection for a while, although suffering through it, but she was pretty much almost dead from Walker's encirclement earlier on. You can sort of think of it like this: the island doesn't heal their cancer, just pauses it, but she was already at 0.1 seconds left.
>>
File: fat.png (2.22 MB, 1920x1080)
2.22 MB
2.22 MB PNG
I'm so fucking lost, what the fuck is going on? Did we really have two timeskips in the first episode?
>Who the fuck is picrel? Doesn't look like Kazuki, isn't piloting Kazuki's unit, but when he gets eaten they imply it's kazuki
>How the fuck is prometheus still alive? didn't they crush his core back in Exodus?
> So this guy we've never heard from before kidnaps baby!Soushi along with two other kids and takes them to live in the arctic, but then 3 years later he's a grown-ass man living in their island?
>Which island were they attacking? Tatsumiya? or the third island?
>Why does Prometheus have "recordings" of people that should be in Ashoka or Tatsu Mir 8is it ever named?) Why does Ashoka have a "recording" of a prometheus puppet?
I'm guessing most of these question will be answered when I keep watching but right now it feels like Eva 3.0, like I missed an entire movie in between seasons. These have months between each episode right? I can't imagine what it must have felt like to get this and then have to wait so long for answers
>>
>>19766827
Beyond releases were 3 episodes every few months, so it's not technically supposed to be watched just 1 at a time. As for other questions, they'll mostly be handled if you watch, but some if it you just need to deal with.

>Who the fuck is picrel? Doesn't look like Kazuki, isn't piloting Kazuki's unit, but when he gets eaten they imply it's kazuki
Kazuki with a haircut. Sein is Miwa's unit now.
>How the fuck is prometheus still alive? didn't they crush his core back in Exodus?
That was Vagrant's core. Though you'd be forgiven for thinking it was the same thing, but that's just how it is.
>So this guy we've never heard from before kidnaps baby!Soushi along with two other kids and takes them to live in the arctic, but then 3 years later he's a grown-ass man living in their island?
Remember how some guys said Fafner likes to take nameless background characters and give them a role? Well here you go, Maris is "one of the Esperanto who traveled with them during Exodus, but fell to despair instead of being able to cope like everyone else". As for how Soushi grew, just keep watching.
>Which island were they attacking? Tatsumiya? or the third island?
In episode 1? Some random island that Maris went to. Not one of the Alvis.
>Why does Prometheus have "recordings" of people that should be in Ashoka or Tatsu Mir 8is it ever named?) Why does Ashoka have a "recording" of a prometheus puppet?
Not sure who you're referring to here, but I think it should be explain later.
>>
>>19766827
Kazuki is piloting the new Elf at the start, but he's not at the end.
New guy is new, but plot wise he's not new. They tell you who he is a little bit into Beyond.
Beyond was released in volumes so it was 3 episodes per batch. We're just waiting on volume 4 and that'll end Beyond.
>>
>>19766845
Doesn't Beyond start with them attacking the Big Island again, then it switches to an artificial island constructed by Maris at the North Pole made to resemble Tatsumiya with all the data the Fetsum had?
>>
>>19766861
Was that Big Island aka Hawaii?
>>
File: Thanks Doc.png (2.43 MB, 1920x1080)
2.43 MB
2.43 MB PNG
Guy I called "puppet" is Ruby's asssitant, wasn't he General Barn's second in command, who was a Puppet planted by Hester to expose the conspiracy? Or is the Hiraiface getting to me?
Also, is it "Maris" or "Malice"? Subs change episode to episdoe it seems.
>>
>>19766962
The island of Hawaii, called the Big Island, in the 50th State Hawaii of the United States of America.
>>
>>19767059
Dylan, yeah he is that same Puppet. Ruby basically adopted him.

And it's probably meant to SOUND like malice, but it's pretty accepted as Maris.
>>
>>19767059
It's the same guy, yeah. He gives a brief explanation later on as to why he's here, but it's not that big of a deal. He just got picked up by the island after being abandoned. It's probably Maris, but there's no official english translation of his name. I think Malice was something everyone considered at some point, but it's a bit too on-the-nose, so Maris is just what everybody settled with.
>>
I watched Exodus some weeks ago, but damn do a lot of moments just stick with me. It was so good. In my top 200 anime, it now sits comfortably at #16.
>>
This series would definitely benefit having a recap episode in between seasons.
>>
>>19767154
>top 200 anime
who the hell lists anime so far down
>>
>>19767179
I have this thing. I just love listing things, ranking things, making lists and etc. It's just enjoyable for me.
>>
>>19767232
>I have this thing
it's okay to call it autism
>>
>>19767154
>it now sits comfortably at #16.
Now I am curious, what are the 15 shows that beat fafner?
>>
>>19766853
Not to be That Guy but technically Grimreaper is Zwei.
>>
File: No filter.png (838 KB, 1920x1080)
838 KB
838 KB PNG
Jesus christ Kurusu.
I can't believe they're presenting the retarded biker festum as a serious threat, it's Victory all over again. The Festum have revived the motorcycles of the middle ages, did Malespero absorb Duqer Iq?

I really don't understand Festum/Mir/Fafner power dynamics
>Mir: Most powerful being, produces a core who acts as an envoy and shares its power
>Festum: Extensions of Mir's will, Elements fall in this category
>Fafner: Made out Festum cores, about on par with the biggest Festum in power
By this logic, shouldn't Kurusu be stronger than Nicht and Sein, since they're "just" Festum cores? Kurusu is a Mir core on par with Malespero. In fact, shouldn't he be able to control Nicht since it was originally his unit?
Why is Soshi the one connecting with Tatsu's Mir? Hasn't Miwa been in constant crossing with it since birth? In fact, Gay!Soushi was first eaten by Nicht and then revived by Kurusu's Mir, and had Kid!Soushi on Ashoka. Shouldn't Kid!Soshi be linked with one of those two mir?
>How does Malespero have "imprints" of Michio, and co.? They all went into Tatsu's "corpse tree" or into Ashoka. Are they just body doubles with none of the original's memories? Why is Festum!Yumiko so emotionally involved then?
>>
File: Strike Freedom.png (2.52 MB, 1920x1080)
2.52 MB
2.52 MB PNG
Aaand caught up. When's the final part coming out?
Gotta say, not a fan of the Valvravization the Salvator models are getting, they're turning into CGI glowstick clusterfucks. Give me back original Nicht please. Speaking of Nicht, they kinda killed all the "eldritch machine" vibe it had going on, no more voices of the damned or "child of nothingness" speeches. Also, isn't Salvator just a model of Fafner, like Nothung or Gnosis? Suddenly any Fafner can become a salvator if it goes super saiyan? Is this how Bartland made the originals?
Final boss is obviously going to be Raison, maybe piloted by Maris since he's the "childhood friend turned enemy". And it has a tail in the OP, so I'm guessing they're going to glowstick it up too. I guess I did ask for new designs, but not like this. Monkey paw moment
>>
>>19768199
>Suddenly any Fafner can become a salvator if it goes super saiyan?
Soushi asked this exact same question to Sui, did you miss it? The islanders have the capabilities of making Salvator models, like they had to modify Zehn so that Kazuki could convert it to Alles, but Salvators are too strong and too dangerous to be used normally.
>>
>>19768885
Right, that's why I said suddenly, it feels like a retcon. Previously it was just a different "chassis", now presumably any fafner can go salvator if the pilot believes hard enough
>>
>>19768199
>>19768885
The Salvator Models just have three times the amount of core a regular unit has. This also acts as a catalyst that triggers a weird transformation when the start getting assimilated. Kazuki just does this intentionally for the first time in Beyond. Sein and Nicht's transformations happened by accident.
>>
>>19767912
>How does Malespero have "imprints" of Michio, and co.? They all went into Tatsu's "corpse tree" or into Ashoka. Are they just body doubles with none of the original's memories? Why is Festum!Yumiko so emotionally involved then?
Yeah they're all just surface-level visual copies, KoSoushi mentions they were taken from Miwa's memories. That's why, say, Legato (fake Michio) doesn't even have Michio's voice.

But they still grew attached to Soushi in those three years with him and developed emotions accordingly, so feel some weird right to him as actual family. Festum, of course, being stupid space rocks, don't understand that it's not cool or legitimate though because they kidnapped him.
>>
>>19769168
Well, Soushi also had in-depth knowledge of Toumi cooking, so it was more than just surface level. Wonder when Malespero got access to Miwa's memories? It had to be pre-beyond, unless Maris somehow gave them to him when he deserted.
How do you even hide the fact that you're planning on deserting in an island with multiple mind readers?
Wonder what exactly the Tron suits do. They seem to control the Soldatos, but characters that shouldn't need to be controlled like Legato and Maris also wear them.
>>
What exactly are the military capabilities of the UN/Human Army as of The Beyond? I know they're on a better footing than when they still used those pathetic Gnosis models, but do they still lag behind Alvis?
>>
>>19769431
iirc pamphlet info did say the memory stuff was all via Maris. He is a powerful Esperanto too, so for better or worse probably in the best position to defect quietly.

Makes me wonder how the island got alerted to it in the first place, stealing Specter must've been pretty loud, maybe that was their biggest mistake.
>>
>>19769462
They're probably at least early Nothung level, they seemed pretty capable as of Exodus. Nothing comparable to Einherjar's pilot-saving technology though, or of course anywhere near a Salvator.
>>
File: SeinAlles.png (2.96 MB, 1920x1080)
2.96 MB
2.96 MB PNG
>>19768199
Guess you won't like Re-Salvatorized Sein much either, huh.
>>
>>19769474
I really wish the pamphlet info was more readily available. Beyond just seems like it has so much relevant info in them.
>>
>>19769474
>stealing Specter
who owned specter originally?
>>19769462
>>19769480
their Fafner models seem a step below Alvis Fafners but not by that much, their main issues come from assimilation and no SDP. Although Alvis was willing to share the anti-assimilation tech back in Exodus and they're on good terms now, so presumably they gave it to them eventually. It's just that Festum powercreep is too fast
>>
>>19770164
>who owned specter originally?
I assume that Maris was the intended pilot and that was how he was able to steal it.
>>
>>19769480
>>19770164
Yeah, they already handed over the Einherjar designs during Exodus, and the NUN already showed themselves capable of building a Salvator. But without SDPs, an Einherjar's main benefit over a regular model is mostly just its reduced assimilation strain, and the NUN have shown to not have anybody capable of using a Salvator (they probably also need an island core too).
>>
>>19770185
What about Grim Reaper then
>>
>>19770523
Kazuki had it then Floro stole it, what do you mean? Maris definitely wasn't intended, he just ended up choosing it later.
>>
>>19770620
oh right, I completely forgot. Wonder why they gave Sein to Miwa when Kazuki can use it without danger
>>
File: 1605251846674.jpg (514 KB, 1536x2048)
514 KB
514 KB JPG
>>19770650
The manual says Miwa is in Sein to protect her because it's the strongest unit. Also Sein's amplification ability would probably be really helpful for boosting her ability to contact Altair, but it doesn't explicitly say that.
>>
>>19770650
>>19770716
Yeah I think at one point Tamotsu or Mizoguchi or somebody basically says as much. Also I'd imagine combat-wise Element > Esperanto, so even in a weaker unit Kazuki isn't nerfed TOO much. And then eventually he gets Alles to really cut loose anyway.
>>
>>19770716
Any cool lore for the Fafners themselves in the manuals? Wiki is kinda barren
>>
Should I wait for the final Beyond, or watch it now?
>>
>>19772430
Watch it now!
>>
>>19759165
Killing her off was a crime
>>
>>19775496
I thought it was pretty good since it

>Advanced the Punished Maya storyline
>Was a callback to how Fumihiko's previous wife died

The only crime was the retarded biker festum that did it
>>
>>19772430
I am waiting.
>>
Such a weird error(?)
>>
>>19780870
Subbers make typos, it happens.
>>
>>19780870
Heh.
>>
>>19780870
Where's the typo?
>>
>>19784944
It should be ep 10, not 11.
>>
>>19785729
Oh..
>>
I started this yesterday, watched up to episode 6 where the sickly girl sacrifices herself. Am I supposed to be really lost regarding the plot at this point or am I just dumb? I get that the first episode just throws you in the middle of the chaos really early the same way it does the main characters, but even later when they start explaining stuff I don't get a thing. Like when Soushi tells the main character that Japan was destroyed 21 years ago, what's the deal with that? The main cast is like 15, what's the point of raising them to believe there's a Japan outside their island?
>>
>>19789317
The first 10 or so episodes feel completely different to the rest of Fafner. Things start making more sense around the time Kazuki leaves the island, or Canon's first appearance.
>>
>>19789317
It'll all start to make sense eventually yeah, the show is a REAL slow build-up at first but the halfway point or so really brings things up to speed.
>>19789322
Careful with spoilers bro.
>>
>>19789322
Weirdly enough, I was invested from the start, and didn't mind the first half of the show at all.
>>
>>19791608
to me it felt too much like an eva clone at the beginning, complete with the MC's father being the commander telling him to get into the angel-powered robot or his friends get hurt
>>
>>19791758
>comparing Fumihiko to Gendo
Off yourself.
>>
>>19791758
>Comparing Fumihiko
>To gendo
>When in the second episode you literally have Fumihiko crying over sending his son to war

my dude you need to stop speed watching
>>
>>19791974
>>19793273
Almost thought they meant Soushi's dad at first, who actually was kind of awful.
>>
>>19793508
Seeing as how Soushi's bishounen beauty didn't carry from him, I'm inclined to believe he was a classic hentai old man.
>>
>>19793508
He was barely a character, we see him make a difficult decision and then get festum'd immediately.
>>
File: Soushi15B.png (1.8 MB, 960x2160)
1.8 MB
1.8 MB PNG
>>19794434
Sure, but there's more than just what we see.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.