[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/m/ - Mecha

[Advertise on 4chan]

Name
Spoiler?[]
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File[]
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 32 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

New board added: /xs/ - Extreme Sports

New board added: /pw/ - Professional Wrestling

Self-serve ads are available again! Check out our new advertising page here.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: Robotech.jpg (126 KB, 1000x600)
126 KB
126 KB JPG
Harmony Gold are garbage that is undeniable but, considering the TV standards in the US at the time, how do you think Macross was handled in general when it became Robotech season 1? Especially compared to when GoLion became Voltron, for instance, or Gatchaman's 2 old dubs (Battle of the Planets and G-Force).

What about Southern Cross and MOSPEADA?
>>
I dont know I never compared the two, I only watch Macross.
>>
>>19381226
Robotech the Macross Saga is pretty impressive for its time how it left in the drinking, death (and even adding extra death), and even sexing up Claudia and Roy a little bit via dialog
>>
>>19381226
All that needs to be said is that they kept in all the deaths and darker plot beats
>>
>>19381231
Preach it, Brother Anon
>>
>>19381226
The only real complaint I have about Robotech the show is they couldn't have a moment of quiet. That fucking narrator started up the moment the dialogue or action stopped to explain what just happened or to tease what's going to happen. The one that was the worst was a scene at the end of a post war episode that scans over the wastelands and zooms in on dead Zentraedi holding a Minmei doll. The original just had the wind and melancholy music. Robotech had the narrator explaining that the aftermath of war is sad. It kinda destroyed the moment.
>>
>>19382470
this scene?
>>
>>19382470
Honestly I feel that's always been a problem with American cartoons and film is that silence is all but outlawed because they assume their audience is so ADHD and stupid that they need to have everything explained to them and things happening all the time to keep their attention.
>>
>>19381226
It's not great, but it's one of the better cartoons for kids because it's nuanced while pushing the boundaries. It's the same reason why people loved Gundam Wing, 00, and IBO.

A lot of western cartoons for kids are poorly written, generic, non-sequential, or inconsequential. Little to no characters die in them and have goofy supervillians who only destroy properly or minds that people easily recover from after an episode concludes.

You would never get this in a western cartoon:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CdHlWqZU2bw
>>19382504
I always look forward to anime because it's superior despite the heavy censorship and localization.
>>
>>19382504
It's gotten worse in resent times too. Even adult animation like the fucking Simpsons used to have a few silent moments, if far and in between during the golden era, but now they actually do cartoony sound and visual effects (like Burns smoking from the 3 dots in his balding head and making a steamboat pipe sound), it's like they think audiences are so distracted by their phones or something they have to do degrading shit to have their attention.

I dread to know how kids cartoons or dubs of kids anime handle shit these days.
>>
>>19381231

You're not missing much. Mospeada has some cool designs and the OP is a banger, but the story is boring and some of the characters need to never speak.
>>
>>19382672
>I dread to know how kids cartoons or dubs of kids anime handle shit these days.
Considering most western cartoons are fucking more or less 10 minutes long now...yeah.
>>
My only problem with robotech is their fans are huge fags.
>Usually a boomer
>some pretentious jagoff hipster flexing his knowledge
>STAR WARS AVENGERS
if i see a based robotech fan then maybe I'll look at them differently but nah, they're literally the betacucks of macross history
>>
>>19386169
I've never met a Robotech fan, hilariously, just Macross fans. I don't know, Robotech just became quickly forgotten where I'm from once Seiya showed up.
>>
>>19386083
Well they gotta pack in more adverts as that's where all the money is.
>>
>>19387693
What do they advertise anymore? I've not seen kids play with toys for the past 5 years now, it's all been tablets and smartphones.
>>
I wouldnt be if not for Robotech. lll always have a soft spot for it as a result. Though I did watch the show a lot n the 90s on recorded VHS tapes, I really identify more with the novels, they were pretty interesting takes on the show, though not without their shortcomings. I think a lot of the hate for the show is just for the practices of HG.

Ive always wondered why Robotech never quite stuck the landing like Voltron did in terms of pop culture. Well, aside from this.

https://youtu.be/YVg8LF1u-10
>>
>>19387723
mobile games, other cartoons, burgers, the usual american things
>>
>>19386169
>>19386429
Why would anybody that's not a boomer watch robotech when macross exist? Robotech fans are just an ancient relic that should go extinct.
>>
>>19390204
if you like Cam Clarke he does a nice job as Max
>>
>>19390204
I've heard Robotech did Southern Cross better than Southern Cross itself.
>>
File: Deculture.jpg (230 KB, 1024x768)
230 KB
230 KB JPG
>>19390275
Adding corn to a pile of crap still leaves you with a pile of crap.

Robotech is blessed for giving us this picture though.
>>
>>19390309
I'll never be able to decide which I like more,
Exedor's
>PROTOCULTURE BLOWJOB WOO WOO WOO
or Khyron's
>PROBLEM, MICRONIANS?
>>
>>19390317
It is a hard call, but I really think Giant-Chinned Smug Breetai ties it all together nicely.
>>
>>19390352
oh yeah he certainly brings something to the table too
>>
Honestly, if Harmony Gold weren't incompetent fucks squatting on the IP and US Macross rights, they could probably work out a deal with Big West that'd allow them to reboot Robotech while retaining the Macross designs.

The elephant in the room is that when you get down to the bullet points, Robotech is an easier franchise to sell people on. You only have to do the music is integral to the plot thing once, and from there, it's all "aliens show up because resource is on Earth, wars happen."

The problem with Macross is that it doubles down on the music and romance elements, which doesn't really work for the kind of audiences that like SciFi action in the west. People thought how Star Trek Beyond used music in its climax was stupid, and that implementation of "the power of music" was way more straightforward and technological in application than anything Macross does.
>>
>>19390665
>People thought how Star Trek Beyond used music in its climax was stupid, and that implementation of "the power of music" was way more straightforward and technological in application than anything Macross does.
Honestly, this is a shame, because I think the "power of music" can be a genuine plot device to use, but it seems US audiences in general think it's stupid it was even mocked on Mars Attacks.
>>
>>19390665
I'm honestly shocked that never happened. It seems like the perfect thing to do.

HG gets to continue the Robotech name, but they don't have to do any of the work, sort of like Yamato and Star Blazers.
>>
>>19390665
Had they'd been smart, instead of trying to hide Macross exist and not having to create the original creators behind it, Southern Cross and Mospeada, they should've purely had become co-workers and keep localizing Macross in a sort of symbiotic relationship with Tatsunoko and Big West.

But no, they had to do the same jew shit Saban did with Power Rangers and Super Sentai until he couldn't keep hiding Super Sentai existed.
>>
>>19390309
What the actual fuck is this?
>>
>>19391048
>I'm honestly shocked that never happened. It seems like the perfect thing to do.

>>19391067
>Had they'd been smart, instead of trying to hide Macross exist and not having to create the original creators behind it, Southern Cross and Mospeada, they should've purely had become co-workers and keep localizing Macross in a sort of symbiotic relationship with Tatsunoko and Big West.
Honestly, I get the feeling whoever in Harmony Gold oversees Robotech doesn't care at all about it, and would probably get rid of it if there wasn't some sort of income stream from residuals or whatever that makes that a non-starter.

Because holy shit, you'd think they'd try to sell the IP to get a couple hundred million easy or do ANYTHING more than nothing at all. I know that they're a goddamn real estate company, but a couple hundred mill has got to be better than whatever few thousands of dollars they're making with the Robotech IP over the past few years.

>>19390690
>Honestly, this is a shame, because I think the "power of music" can be a genuine plot device to use, but it seems US audiences in general think it's stupid it was even mocked on Mars Attacks.
I think it's because American audiences don't believe that culture can win the day, because even when Mars Attacks came out, it was clear that countries weren't jumping on the democracy and rights train.

TODAY, the idea is outright a source of mockery, because who in their right mind would buy into our imploding culture.
>>
>>19392970
>>
>>19393162
This is fucking horrible. How come western american comicbook artists, at least in the 00's, couldn't do anime-style at all but if you had mangaka reference a comicbook it'd look legit?
>>
File: Robotech Gym Boss.jpg (1.04 MB, 1326x1077)
1.04 MB
1.04 MB JPG
>>19392970
It is Robotech!
>>
>>19390309
>>19393162
>>19393262
Ooooh Jesus FUCKING Christ.
Please post more. Are there Southern Cross or Mospeada shit?
>>
File: 1505030649037.png (1.51 MB, 1018x854)
1.51 MB
1.51 MB PNG
>>19393281
I don't have any pics of SC or MOSPEADA stuff from Robotech. Even Robotechfags don't care about anything other than Macross stuff.
>>
>>19393241
>>19393281
I think this just trying to be "realistic," aka generic western comic style, not anime inspired.
>>
File: Spoiler Image (404 KB, 1200x1569)
404 KB
404 KB JPG
>>19393262
The best thing about that panel is everyone is referred to by their first and last name except for Captain Kramer. They couldn't even bother giving their side character a first name.

>>19393281
I've got this one.
>>
>>19393382
Oh my God what is THAT?
>>
It's an outdated localization. I don't even understand the point of acknowledging it anymore when it's incompatible with a bulk of the series it is intended to localize. It's just a relic of the past, and a redundant one at that.
>>
>>19382470
>The only real complaint I have about Robotech the show is they couldn't have a moment of quiet. That fucking narrator started up the moment the dialogue or action stopped to explain what just happened or to tease what's going to happen.
I noticed this too.
And the weirdest thing is the Japanese dub of Transformers has that issue compared to the English dub. Constant narrating when there was non in the English version.
>>
File: Exedore Pog.png (562 KB, 346x630)
562 KB
562 KB PNG
>>19390309
Exedore Pogchamp
>>
File: Spoiler Image (316 KB, 1200x1538)
316 KB
316 KB JPG
>>19393485
IT
IS
ROBOTECH
O
B
O
T
E
C
H
>>
>>19393331
I think this is the greatest thing I've fucking seen.
>>
File: robotech.0.jpg (153 KB, 1400x1400)
153 KB
153 KB JPG
>>
>>19394234
did they splice together footage or something? she looks super blurry
>>
File: Blurmei.png (1.67 MB, 1442x1080)
1.67 MB
1.67 MB PNG
>>19394324
Here's the same shot in the blu-ray rip. She's pretty blurry in it too.
>>
>>19394442
Never seen this happen before but I guess on a CRT this wouldn't be noticeable
>>
File: 1313583944506.png (1.49 MB, 662x1004)
1.49 MB
1.49 MB PNG
>>19395912
I think that it is because it is a still and you have more time to parse it. In the scene itself it doesn't seem as bad as she's moving and it is fairly brief.
>>
File: 1561820657589.png (3.24 MB, 1472x895)
3.24 MB
3.24 MB PNG
>>19393338
They were REALLY trying to hype up the terrible artwork in the initial run of Titans' awful comic adaptation of Robotech. Even on the RT Facebook page, it was constantly getting hammered by all the awkward faces and illustrations. That and the artist also had this freakish obsession with adding these rapey looking under bites to the characters.

It was an amusing trainwreck.
>>
File: 1557195358817.jpg (368 KB, 1054x1600)
368 KB
368 KB JPG
Guess I might as well dump a few highlights from this comic while I'm here.

I think this one is the book's crowning achievement: This is supposed to be Minmei singing the Zentraedi away, only it's established in this universe that Protoculture Shapings from the Mckinney books are very much a thing again, and has pretty much given a select cast various superpowers. Minmei's is that she has a siren voice that hypnotizes people into doing whatever she wants.

So yeah, she was never talented or anything and she never brought anyone together with her songs and culture at all. In fact, she can't lyric for shit and this seems to cement that Reba West's drunken ramblings for her songs in Robotech are very much canon.
>>
>>19396198
How horrific
>>
File: Robotech Reach.png (744 KB, 830x393)
744 KB
744 KB PNG
So when they finally replaced the artist, the later issues got some better artwork, but it sure didn't stop all the tracing and blatant infringement that was also going on.

A lot of people brought it to Titan Comics attention that the 'original' armor they devised to replace all the Southern Cross stuff looked oddly similar to that of Spartan and infantry armor from Halo. So rather than fix the problem, Titan seemed to take this as a "hold my beer" challenge and just opted to outright copy and trace Master Chief's original armor design completely, even included the colors.

Hello and welcome to Robotech.
>>
>>19396223
I almost respect just how bold they're at doing that. It's like SHITPOSTING AS LOUD AS HUMANLY POSSIBLE.

They had to be fucking self aware about this and just kept doing it anyways right?
>>
File: Banetech.jpg (617 KB, 672x1047)
617 KB
617 KB JPG
>>19396171
Robotech Choomer.
>>
File: Original Content.png (1.46 MB, 1518x1046)
1.46 MB
1.46 MB PNG
>>19396231
It's really amusing because copying Halo is fair game, but there was a split instance where they actually backpedaled on a design.

Initially for Dolza's enormous space fortress they decided to trace the factory satellite right out of the original sourcebook sketches for Macross Digital Mission VF-x, which Harmony Gold did not have any ownership on at all. So in the very next issue they changed it to the original rock design as seen in the original Macross series.

Everything about this comic is just strange.
>>
>>19396291
I just can see why people would dig into the aftermath of this because it's like the more you dig the more weird shit gets. Like trying to figure out what was going on behind the scene has to be nuts.

Kinda shocked that they didn't fear Microsoft/Bungie knocking on the door. Maybe they thought no one would notice?
>>
>>19391067
>But no, they had to do the same jew shit Saban did with Power Rangers and Super Sentai until he couldn't keep hiding Super Sentai existed.
What the fuck are you babbling about? Saban never hid the Nip origins of PR. They even did a special that acknowledged that it all started with Gorangers and even showed sentai footage.
>>
>>19396355
I remember in the 90's there were absolutely no mentions to Sentai and those blatant "Power Rangers - Created by Haim Saban" in the pre-Disney era opening credits.
>>
>>19396309
>Kinda shocked that they didn't fear Microsoft/Bungie knocking on the door. Maybe they thought no one would notice?
To be fair, I don't think anyone who did could get the media to care enough to investigate.

That said, it would've been hilarious as fuck if Microsoft had sued HG and/or demanded the Robotech IP as a result.
>>
>>19396360
I'm not sure what the timeline we'd get out of it but it'd be a weird one.
>>
>>19396198
That fucking face
>>
>>19396358
If you read the credits, it mentions Toei.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VErZ56ciH8E

And this special in the late 90's which features the lost pilot also shows Zyuranger footage and explains what Saban did

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qc6od6lwqUM&t=2m18s

And technically Power Rangers was created by Haim Saban and his people. They filmed original footage with American actors. They only sparingly used the sentai clips.
>>
In just 3 years Harmony Gold will finally lose the rights to Macross, right?
>>
>>19397908
lolno
>>
>>19397908
Not unless Tatsunoko stops helping them re-up those rights.
>>
>>19397946
>>19397989
I must be thinking of something else then, when are Harmony Gold getting a deadline on those rights?
I'd rather Discotek pick them up.
>>
>>19382672
Crazy to think that the DCAU ended about 15 years ago. I can't imagine shows like that being aimed at kids nowadays. In fact, I think the last western kids show that treated its audience as adults was Transformers Prime, and that ended over half-a-decade ago
>>
>>19396309
>I just can see why people would dig into the aftermath of this because it's like the more you dig the more weird shit gets.

Supposedly it's still ongoing. The sequel, Robotech Remix, still had one last issue to end the series on but it never materialized. HG and Titan tried to blame it on the pandemic, but the truth is the book actually missed two deadlines before COVID even hit, and given the response to both it and the previous comic, it shouldn't be any doubt that it's just not making any money. HG is pretty much the only one now trying to say it'll come out "sometime" this year (from what they said last year), but it's no longer on Titan's 'coming soon' catalog and it's not available for preorder anywhere. So I guess chalk that up to another washed out Robotech story for the scrap bin.
>>
>>19396291
>Those ships
Thats edited for shitposting reasons, right?
>>
>>19399124
Hasn't HG been saying the same with "ROBOTECH THE MOVIE" that'll be 'coming soon' for decades now?
They live in their own strange universe don't they?
>>
>>19399183
No, that's actually apart of the panel. The artist likes to trace and duplicate images a lot in the comic before they decided to hire someone else.

>>19399431
Nah, they abandoned that one long ago and hasn't been mentioned since they broke up relations with Canon Productions. I think you're getting it confused with their live action movie which they are still claiming is a thing even though Andy Muschietti is no longer on board and the nobody has heard from "Guy-Who-Helped-Write-Wonder Woman" about the script for several years now.

It's also still pretty telling how they never openly admitted to scrapping Robotech Shadow Rising. They kept spinning story after story about how it was still in production, but had zero evidence to show they even wrote up a script, and after they broke up with Funimation due to creative differences. Even way back in 2013, RobotechX posted an update from a convention panel that HG's marketing man actually made an offhanded comment that the project was on hiatus, to which he then retracted it and contacted the website saying he was "misquoted" and assured them that the movie was very much alive.

Turns out the trademark has been abandoned since 2011: https://trademark.trademarkia.com/shadow-rising-77258278.html

These days they have decided to zip their lips and just refuse to talk about it.
>>
>>19399857
And yet because of these fucks, Tatsunoko can't distribute Macross, Mospeada and I guess Southern Cross.
What is their endgame?
>>
>>19399964
iirc Tatsunoko couldn't distribute SDFM without permission from Big West after that lawsuit, anyways, so by re-upping with HG they can keep a deal they control in action and fuck over Big West at the same time
all three have been released subtitled commercially in the USA going back to the 90s with the Robotech Perfect Collection, then on dvd through AnimEigo and ADV, and really who the fuck even cares about Mospeada and Southern Cross anyway
>>
>>19399981
Oh wow. I never researched that much to the behind scenes shenanigans, I thought HG was fucking over both Tatsunoko and Big West.
>>
>>19399981
>and really who the fuck even cares about Mospeada and Southern Cross anyway
I thought MOSPEADA was pretty cool, though. I really liked how the bikes turned into their combat suits. I'm surprised Kamen Rider hasn't done something like that (Accel turning into a bike doesn't count. Closest I guess would be Drive Type Tridoron)
>>
I think Robotech is a fine product of it's time that really is only a problem because every company involved with the original Macross hates one another.
>>
File: zhpbr9cn5ys01.jpg (135 KB, 1280x720)
135 KB
135 KB JPG
>>19400227
HG is their own problem but HG's issues are a result of Tatsunoko over stepping. It's a really muddled situation where the more you dig into it the more you realize everyone is kind of the bad guy.
>>
>>19401982
God damn.
And on the other hand, HG prevented the SRWs games with Macross to not be translated in english.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.