[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/m/ - Mecha

[Advertise on 4chan]

Name
Spoiler?[]
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File[]
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 35 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

Self-serve ads are available again! Check out our new advertising page here.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: BattleTech_cover.jpg (17 KB, 278x358)
17 KB
17 KB JPG
is the battletech franchise any good?
looks cool
>>
>>19273165
no the mecha are a rip off from japanese's mecha
>>
File: battletech.jpg (305 KB, 2286x684)
305 KB
305 KB JPG
>>19273165
>is the battletech franchise any good?
yes
>>
Do you mean the video game or the tabletop stuff? Because Battletech is a very wide umbrella.
The Battletech game is okay, I liked it. It gets repetitive fast though.
The MechWarrior games are also part of this franchise. The quality varies quite a lot, but most of them are fine.
But Battletech? Like, the actual miniatures game or even the RPG stuff? It is hairy and I wouldn't even bother unless you already have a group of people to play with.
>>
>>19273165
the franchise in general is worth a thorough read on sarna
the tabletop game is not really worth getting into and even the new plastic miniatures are lacklustre
HBS' Battletech is very worth it
MWO is okay as an action sim but fell massively short of expectations especially regarding their plans for a territorial metagame (community warfare). These days the population is mostly old men hanging onto a dying game playing team deathmatch. Also fuck PGI
MW5 Mercs is okay but is really one of those mods-will-fix-it kinda games. The mercenary company management is hella weak. HBS' Battletech is much better in this aspect.
>>
>>19273165
It's great.
If you aren't feeling like reading, but rather listening on stuff, here's a great channel to check out.
https://youtu.be/c71x68uWd5k
>>
File: 1610407267494.jpg (75 KB, 600x800)
75 KB
75 KB JPG
>>19273191
How is that a bad thing?
>>
>>19273165
I loved the game. It's pretty unoptimised and janky, but it hits that xcom spot for me. If the story campaign doesn't appeal to you, you can play a career mode campaign and just roleplay your own kind of mercenary group. I think you can turn the ship chatter off so you don't have to hear the cringey intercom chat.
>>
>>19273165
I tried to get into the new video game but I just found it so ugly I couldnt do it cant say anything about the tabletop though
>>
>>19273165
No it’s shit
>>
>>19273165
>is the battletech franchise any good?
Yes but it's known as MechWarrior/Commander in the gamesphere.
>>
File: avatar.png (205 KB, 1108x671)
205 KB
205 KB PNG
>>
>>19273191
>mecha are a ripoff
No.
>>
File: 1401217400903.gif (2.69 MB, 234x170)
2.69 MB
2.69 MB GIF
>>19273257
Good Lord, I still remember how many people were whining about the pronouns thing.
>>
>>19273165
>MechWarrior games
Fun vidya 'mech sims
>BattleTech (HBS)
Heard some good and some bad about this BT xcom. Apparently the memory leak still isn't fixed so I'd hold off for at least a sale or just pirate it.
>BattleTech (tabletop)
If you can't into analyzation then play Alpha Strike but if you can then it's Classic.
>>
>>19274542
It's not even representative of the setting as a whole anyway, the game is about clanless wierdos.
>>
>>19274542
To be fair, the pronouns thing is pretty cringe
>>
The books are pretty hit or miss. Anything with a main viewpoint character in the Draconis Combine is probably going to be a slog, and the oldest stuff is pretty rough.

Any books set pre-Clan Invasion are probably going to be good, while post-invasion stuff is hit or miss, depending on how connected it is to the dumb decisions made by the tabletop guys.
>>
>>19273165
It's...okay. My only complaint is that the mechs are too clunky and awkwards. The setting is pretty baller, tho.
>>
>>19274994
The reaction to the pronouns was more cringe than the pronouns.
>>
>>19275379
I'm not here to judge people, that's for leftists to do, I'm just here to judge the game.
>>
File: zeus 13.jpg (604 KB, 734x1000)
604 KB
604 KB JPG
>>
File: LOL.png (343 KB, 640x558)
343 KB
343 KB PNG
>>19275379
>The reaction to the pronouns was more cringe than the pronouns.
Fuck off.

This shit was the very definition of cringe.
>>
>>19274240
>I think you can turn the ship chatter off so you don't have to hear the cringey intercom chat.

What is the matter with you?
>>
>>19277879
God's, it's so ugly
>>
>>19277879
83 hours and I never saw that. Also transsexuals exist IRL. Before I stopped joining random Discord communities I found that they were all largely dominated by vocal MTF transsexuals with colourful cartoon avatars and pronouns in in their username. Based on this experience, they're probably the second biggest gaming market after China
>>
File: mecha vs mech.jpg (214 KB, 871x728)
214 KB
214 KB JPG
>>19273191
I assure you that Battletech is and has always been a completely original creative endeavor with no similarities to any other properties.
>>
>>19275095
>oldest stuff is pretty rough.
That's the best shit.

Warrior series and pretty much anything by Michael Stackpole rocks.
>>
>>19275379
dilate
>>
Considering the Bull Shark is hinted as being made by Clan Wolverine, how does it rank against proper Clan mechs?
>>
>>
File: 1610676269727.png (278 KB, 1172x637)
278 KB
278 KB PNG
>>19277879
>>19277879
I kinda cringed at it too but its a Kickstarter character, pretty much all of them are fanfiction tier bs. they dont have any of that anywhere else in the game tho. I just leave them on the backwater theyre stuck at. The only two KS characters I actually hired got murdered the first mission they went out on so theyre cursed forever
>>
>>19274240
How can you function as a human if background intercom noise triggered you
>>
File: 1610583870206.jpg (557 KB, 1106x888)
557 KB
557 KB JPG
I started playing the Battletech PC game recently, I like it but the 2 biggest gripes I have are the AI and the difficulty ramp ups.

The AI is DUMB. It will focus fire on one mech and thats basically their only setting. You can abuse it to fuck em up but its repetitive. It also gets real frustrating when theres 8 or more enemies on the field, even more so if they all have LRMs. Plus the AI is relentless and mechs that have had all their weapons/limbs/etc destroyed will still come running at you to kick you and its frustrating having to waste a turn getting that final shot (which given the tabletop RNG nature of the game can take a couple attempts if your pilots shit the bed). You can do a lot to mitigate all this stuff but its still annoying.

The difficulty ramps up for ALL missions after each story mission, meaning once you hit a certain point hiring new mechwarriors is pointless because there arent any lower tier missions to try to train them up on. Also, the difficulty for missions relies heavily on the fact they won't ever let you drop with more than a 4-man lance at a time. Princess dumbfuck the tactical genius wont commit troops to help protect these vital infrastructures against a battalion of enemy units because a 4 man lance is more than enough apparently. At this point I stopped caring about the story and just want to finish it so I can start career mode and go be the merc leader I wanna be.

All these issues can be fixed with mods but unfortunately I decided to do a vanilla playthrough first so Im stuck til the end. Not as bad as a vanilla Stalker run through though.

LRM 20s are the best thing in the game MISSILE BOATS RISE UP
>>
>>19280993
>The difficulty ramps up for ALL missions after each story mission, meaning once you hit a certain point hiring new mechwarriors is pointless because there arent any lower tier missions to try to train them up on.
I remember Xcom 2 having this problem, having to hire rookies in the later stages of the game is basically a death sentence because the stats are so incredibly important even though the game wants the soldiers to be semi-disposable. I wish games like this could find a better way to balance those two ideas.
>>
>>19281070
STORY missions should always ramp difficulty as they go. Side missions and such should have a variety to give you the chance to train up and experiment with new builds. The amount of times I had to exit campaign to go fuck around in skirmish just to test some new loadout was way too much.
>>
>>19281146
You're right, that would pretty much fix it. It would make sense, too, there's always going to be some company on some backwater planet that needs defense from small-time bandits and shit no matter what's going on with Lady Arano's bullshit. No reason not to let you take less difficult missions.
>>
>>19280993
Also the game has memory leak errors that WILL crash the game after a couple hours
>>
>>19280993
Honestly, the thing that pisses me off the most is that they didn't give the Hatchetman's melee attacks the ability to be Called Shots.

That would've given a lot more variety to the gameplay in tactical engagements.
>>
>>19281349
I havent run into any crashes yet after 1300 in game days must be lucky Ive heard other people bring this up.

>>19281421
I honestly dont notice a difference compared to any other melee its a real let down.
>>
File: 1609995347475.jpg (267 KB, 850x550)
267 KB
267 KB JPG
I wish the map was bigger so I could actually go fuck around with more of the houses. Contracts for Lyran Commonwealth and the weebs dont come up that much and I want to go snake stomping.
>>
>>19281612
It depends on 3 things:
1. You might not have long enough sessions to hit the crash.
2. You might have enough RAM that it would take much longer than most to get to that point.
3. Memory leaks sometimes have an upper limit and if you have enough RAM you might reach that limit with no issue while someone with much less RAM will crash before reaching that stasis point.
>>
>>19281612
>I honestly dont notice a difference compared to any other melee its a real let down.
IIRC, the Hatchetman's only thing is that it gets a stat bonus on melee attacks... which is why it's fucking useless.

At least the Bullshark got to do AOE attacks.
>>
>>19279550

It's a Marauder but you replace the railgun with Artillery
>>
>>19281630
I dunno how you're supposed to plateau on a memory leak, the whole notion of a memory leak is you keep reserving memory without ever freeing it up when you're done.

Also, it's on Unity right? Does Unity not have a garbage collector routine or anything?
>>
>>19281619
Roguetek mod does exactly that. Adds all the way up to clans

https://roguetech.gamepedia.com/Roguetech_Wiki
>>
>>19278016
>>19280963
It's fine in the story mode, because it's a story about those characters. It's grating if you're playing career mode and roleplaying as a more hardened or disciplined merc company. Just threw my out of my immersion every time I heard some quirky banter or the girl asking if anyone wanted coffee.
>>
File: Urbanmech Collection.jpg (79 KB, 960x720)
79 KB
79 KB JPG
>>
File: 1571364708130.gif (769 KB, 640x480)
769 KB
769 KB GIF
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKFmNAE3004
>>
>>19281647
The Hatchetman is such trash. The flashpoint where you're forced to use one is hell if you pick the path that drops a 2nd lance on you in turn 3.

Managed to make a Vulcan into a melee machine though. Got a bunch of mods to help (+melee damage, +stability damage, -DFA self damage) and maxed its armour. It moves absurdly fast for a medium mech and with the right pilot is more or less impossible to hit when jumping.
>>
>>19277879
>>19278043
The only people who don't understand the strange dissonance felt when writers inject their own personal worldview into games where said worldview conflicts with the setting are people who are actively trying to push that worldview onto others. If what >>19280960 said is true then this an understandable free pass imo, but still worldbuilding in the gaming industry has deteriorated, the bar has been lowered in favor of giving people arbitrary "representation." This is completely cancerous and has ruined studios like Bioware, where their developers got extremely lazy and neglectful because they felt as long as they added a tranny romance, a gay romance, and a bisexual romance, etc.
>>
>>19281070
Xcom 2 wasn't really that bad about it. Sure rookies needed to be carried significantly but as long as your tech kept up with the enemy you could get away with having full teams of scrubs abusing explosives and repeaters everywhere. Then there's DLC which makes everything easy mode since the extra stuff is all downright broken:

>rangers with free melee rushes and a free projectile that inflicts DoT
>teleporting snipers/demomen with fucking freeze grenades
>that one fucking armor that gives you so much evade it's like you're in cover AND comes with a freeze hook
>>
>>19284369
For me, the worst bit is about NAIS and Boeing, that comes off as so Mary Stu.
>>
>>19281070
>I wish games like this could find a better way to balance those two ideas.

Dorkest dungeon continues to have easy missions, they just have poor rewards.
>>
>>19281160
It would be better if you could/had to split your forces so you could use small fries for trivial work to raise them up
>>
>>19284404
>Xcom 2 wasn't really that bad about it. Sure rookies needed to be carried significantly but as long as your tech kept up with the enemy you could get away with having full teams of scrubs abusing explosives and repeaters everywhere.

Tech tends to be the great equalizer over the long term, that and both of the Firaxis XCOM games do happen to have mechanisms for jumping fresh recruits ahead to role assignment rank. You should theoretically always have an opportunity to bootstrap fresh meat into viability provided you aren't half-assing your long term strategic development.

It's not like you're in perpetual death spiral mode like early game Long War or anything.
>>
>>
File: HUNCHBACK PANCH.gif (977 KB, 320x165)
977 KB
977 KB GIF
>>
>>19284369
>The only people who don't understand the strange dissonance felt when writers inject their own personal worldview into games where said worldview conflicts with the setting are people who are actively trying to push that worldview onto others
Or you know, people who just know nothing about the setting and thus dont even know what is being changed.
>>
>>19286276
>people who just know nothing about the setting
Considering it's Battletech, this is incredibly likely.
>>
>>19284369
>>19284410
Theyre a Kickstarter character. Kickstarter backers who dropped $2000 got to make their own custom character you can recruit with their own personally created backstory. They stand out because they have the hand drawn portraits and not the generic ones with the crappy character creator in game, along with a big KS symbol and an entire paragraph for a backstory instead the usual bio tags.
>>
>>
File: 1453701804810.jpg (132 KB, 504x495)
132 KB
132 KB JPG
>>
File: 1609509783253.jpg (2.67 MB, 1920x1080)
2.67 MB
2.67 MB JPG
>>
File: 1583674707508.jpg (71 KB, 636x333)
71 KB
71 KB JPG
>>
>>19286272
It's just like my actual hunchback lance mates, except they get annihilated the moment they enter their AC/20 effective range.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.