[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/m/ - Mecha

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: Priss_00.jpg (30 KB, 601x476)
30 KB
30 KB JPG
Man... I thought it looked okay at the beginning but now I get why you guys say the show is inferior to the OVA. A damn shame, I honestly preferred the character designs here over the OVA. Sorry floofbros.
>>
>>19272208
I enjoyed it. What about it do you think is inferior?
Did you go into it expecting it to just be the OVA but in series form?
>>
File: BGC2040_Priss0001.jpg (65 KB, 800x600)
65 KB
65 KB JPG
>>19272208
I always liked it a lot. It certainly lacked the production values of the OVA but I think the characters being more fleshed out made up for it. Am a fan of the new designs too.
>>
>>19272216
It feels really dry, I'm struggling to really feel anything for the characters and generally don't understand what many episodes are about. like without the Hard suits and Sci-Fi setting, I feel like its basically a drama series but without a discernable story.
>>
>>19272263
to clarify, the OVA at least has that nice 80s energy flowing through it, this one has 90s angst instead most of the time.
>>
>>19272263
>generally don't understand what many episodes are about.
You might be retarded
>>
>>19272276
no u. but for real, the character bits feel incredibly "ethereal", and that's a bit much for me.
>>
>>19272208
It was really bland. Hell, Metal Fighter Miku was more entertaining than it and that show was decent at best.
>>
>>19272208
At least it's not AD Police show.
>>
>>19272208
I'm not sure what "you guys" you are referring to, but both variants have their strong points.

As hot as Priss was in the OVA, I've always preferred her 2040 redesign.

Now Sylia was hotter in the OVA than in 2040.
>>
>>19272266
Does 2040's music have a more "timeless" quality to it than the OVAs? Is there anything that distinguishes it as a product of the late '90s as much as the OVA's music does for the '80s? I mean, if you listen to a song like "bug list", it could have been sung by any punk band in the last 40 years:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VG2etZ4vxUk
>>
>>19274593
A few songs are okay. The ED song is pretty nice and the OP is pretty classic. I actually remember the ADV commentary track commenting that it was a bit of a shame that the series never gave them a chance to do a full song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fLIX8_9fEFc
>>
It has that 2000's anime feel where every scene goes for a minute longer than it feels like it has to. If OVA's have the habit of being too fast, 2000's anime really feels the need to stretch out its run time. It's been a while since I've watched any of them that felt like they actually justified their episode count not being at least a handful shorter as a natural result of characters spending just a little less time looking shocked at each other or mournfully staring outwards and taking ten seconds to reply to every single sentence. Until the last few episodes, where time catches back up again and everything moves at double pace.

I say all this, but honestly I enjoy it anyway. BGC 2040 has some great early episodes, some good middle episodes, and the finale is honestly a favorite of mine. I'd say if it didn't have an OVA it'd be one of those shows where everyone says "wow I wish this was made as an old OVA". I also really like the organic boomers, when they have the budget set aside to actually give them complex designs and not just look like big evil bubblegum.
>>
>>19274626
Getting away from being terminators is also probably a good thing in a few regards.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.