[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/m/ - Mecha

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: AUI2RAVdDj3dyqrzl5Nq4w.jpg (737 KB, 780x1080)
737 KB
737 KB JPG
prove me wrong
>>
>>19117499
It wasn't a masterpiece, but it was fun, and it's a damn shame we never got more.
>>
>>19117499
3rd parson mod need some work but it was fun also the fuck was up with the story?
>>
>>19117724
"I HAVE MY ORDERS, SIR. PLEASE RESPRCT ME"
>>
>>19117708
Well, it's actually has better mech gameplay then Titanfall! And yeah, damn shame we dont have Shogo 2 or at least expansion.
I heard about fanproject like restoration of unreleased expansione, so kinda cool, gonna try this out
>>
>>19117499
The crit system suuuucks but other than that fun game
>>
It's just a fucking generic FPS.
Jumping into robot doesn't even change gameplay, only your guns.
Same as titanshit franchise.
Western pigs can't into video games.
>>
>>19117499
I tried to play this a while back, but the controls were too archaic and clunky for me.
>>
>>19117499
I beat the shit out of this game when I was 10. I'd probably be one of the best pro Call of Duty players if FPS games didn't bore me to death
>>
>>19118070
well dude you can always remap it like dude
>>
>>19117873
ok fan of weightless jap slashers
>>
Anyone AI upscale this shit yet?
>>
>>19118144
I tried, but it wasn't reading my controller input
>>
>>19118206
well it's sucks :(
but it's playing all right just with a kyboard so give it a shot, it's good and fun game. but only on normal difficulty, cus crit system is sucks
>>
>>19117731
>Well, it's actually has better mech gameplay then Titanfall!
No it fucking doesn't? Shogo: MAD while it had heart was mechanically one of the worst fucking games I've ever played and definitely the single worst mech game I can think of. It has good aesthetics and that's about it. Everything else about the game isn't very well-thought out or just incredibly primitive.
To say that the mech combat in Shogo MAD is anywhere near the carefully designed and balanced mech play of Titanfall is just outright bait.
>>
>>19118297
well dude, i played Titanfall 2 singleplayer and multyplayer and well man this mechs are sucks, they are weightless and you dont feel da scale. its mechanicaly good like from the point of tactics and dynamic but it's feel worse then on foot combat. In Shogo, it's at least create DE FEEL of mech, and i disagree about mechaniscs of SHOGO, they works ok, i have problems only with the late game near the end, its kinda sucks cus crit system.
>>
>>19118316
>this mechs are sucks, they are weightless and you dont feel da scale.
you literally just described half the problems with Shogo MAD's mechplay.
>>
>>19118320
i dunno, Shogo works for me at least aesthetically
But with all seriousness, i can understand negativity toward the game, it's unpollished and it's made by young hacks from Monolith and for most of them it was first 3D game. But i still think it's really good and it's deserved de Shogo 2, cus monolith after 90-s was a techwizards
>>
>>19118155
>>19117873
Both gamestyles and nationalities have merit

Stop being glorified cultists and just say you don't like it and have your preferences like normal human beings

Everyone here may be autists, but not all of us are mentally deficit
>>
>>19117499
test
>>
>>19117873
actually, I think Titanfall does a good job of making the infantry and mecha segments feel distinct from each other, and when you're wailing on someone with the ronin sword or doing other mecchy stuff like that the sound design and animation just really sell that these are giant fighting machines to you.
Shogo's issue was just that everyone was a half life player entity with hovering snowshoes and impossibly tight movement whether it was a robot or a infantry. This isn't even getting into the retarded on-foot segments where you get instant killed by shotgun corner guards that you know are there because this is the 2nd time you've savescummed this corridor but you just cant fucking deal with because you're out of grenades.
>>
>>19117499
rough game but lots of fun
>>
>>19118394
on-foot sectiones a lots of fun too, i think. cus gunplay in shogo is awesome. Animations, sounds its feel cool. And big thanks to quick saves, superior PC gaming.But crit sys it's kinda wacky, thats true
Intresting fact - only player shold do crits in a game, but lead desighner was looking at alpha versione, where npc also doing crits and he is like: "dude this shit is cool, i like it, this is staing in final versione"
>>
>>19117499
Masterpiece, no.

Flawed passion project? Yes.
>>
>>19118546
If someone was to update the game to remove the unfair enemy crits I'd revisit it. Sure it's outdated jank but it's got a lot of heart

.... also the cat mission all for one punchline is still the funniest thing
>>
File: 71MXCCN32HL.gif (234 KB, 422x500)
234 KB
234 KB GIF
>>19117499
>prove me wrong
>>
>>19118644
speak to me when this old man gonna start up on a modern systme, pal

and why mot a 4th one?
>>
>>19118650
Can you not DOSBox? Shogo is more of a pain to get running on modern OSs.
>and why mot a 4th one?
I like MW4 and in some ways it is objectively better but 2 has the atmosphere. Customization is also better in Mercs 2 than Mercs 4.
>>
>>19118652
i actually dont have any problem with running Shogo on Windows 10, it's crashed like a couple of times, but nothing too critical.
And well, DOSBox it's kinda sucks when you have a disk copy of the game :\
>>
>>19117499
Mechwarrior 3 and armored core for answer exists
>>
>>19118735
You can disk mount in DOSBox. Just install the game to a C: location. Have the autoexec look something like this.
[autoexec]
mount D D:\ -t cdrom
mount C "." (wherever you want mercenaries to be installed like "c:\games" the "." is just the location of DOSBox)

Then launch DOSBox go to the D: with the Mercenaries disk. Install the game to the C:
Go back to the C: and run the MERCS.EXE with the CD in the drive. You can also update the autoexec to do this for you whenever you launch dosbox.
[autoexec]
mount D: D:\ -t cdrom
mount C "."
c:
cls
MERCS.exe
exit

I'd also recommend making a new .conf file called MERCS or something that you can launch with a shortcut.
Something like -conf "MERCS.conf"
>>
>>19118767
well armored core it's a consol only exclusive so it's sicks -10000 points
and Mechwarrior 3 is shit cus ppl didnt like it (i never played it but eweryone say so)
>>
>>19118780
Actually thanks man! Gonna try this tomorrow :)
>>
I enjoyed Shogo, but the design sucks. The singular working element it had was doing mecha by having the pilot and mecha segments on one map so you could properly appreciate the scale difference. It's nice when you get out and can see just how big the mecha or look down at the tiny people. Pretty much nothing else about it works. I also adore the opening, that shit rules.

But with that aside, it's mostly generic non-mech segments with enemies that can crit you. It's quicksave shooting at it's dullest. Nobody plays it not because it's some lost forgotten gem, but because it really just isn't any good.
>>
>>19118924
i can understant this point of view, but again, i enjoed this game very much, it's fun. Guns feels really good (well like in every Monolith game); levels looks cool, they have an atmosphere, the levels also have a good layouts and thats why shootouts also feel really awesome (the thing that Monolith understend pretty well is that a good level design = good shooter); and the story is one big one clusterfuck of silliness. It's has it's own flaws and it's old and it can be not for everyone, but i think it's a good game. And i dont have any nostalgia for this, never played it untill now and im like zoom zoomer poopoopoomer
>>
File: pkegk8ocir7x.jpg (96 KB, 650x650)
96 KB
96 KB JPG
I don't wanna be a debbie downer when you're trying to talk about shogo but this is quite literally the greatest mech game.
>>
>>19119087
damn my man, i see this shit like a first time and its looks dope as hell
>>
>>19118652
MW4 is arcade shit
>>
>>19118788
Play Mechwarrior 2 first, MW2 Mercs is by far the hardest MW game and can be buggy.
>>
>>19119121
i see i see thank for the suggesstrtgb
>>
>>19119128
If you want, I actually have a google drive of Mechwarrior 2, GBL, Mercs, and Mechcommander as well as WASD + mouse control schemes for all three games. You will have to configure DOSbox yourself though and normal MW2 needs its cycles in DOSbox to be capped or jumpjets won't recharge.
>>
>>19119150
damn dude, link in the studio, my man
>>
File: unknown.png (74 KB, 640x480)
74 KB
74 KB PNG
>>19119154
Here you go: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1tguWFv3q3oT5hm7L0CijFZmtvLTXd3UZ?usp=sharing
For a guide to install it, this can baby you through it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0lBN6eu2IQ
In his description there are images that outline the controls for the game (except jump jet directions which is your insert, home, pgup, pgdn, del, end keys). The reason I uploaded my own gamekey.map and input.map is because the ones he posted do not work for MW2 Mercs since they changed the names for certain things in the config files. The last thing you should know is that for MW2, you need to cap your cycles to 222222 which you can do in dosbox.conf. Keep in mind it isn't necessary for MW2 Mercs and you will need all the cycles you can get as the game is extremely resource intensive for DOSBox to the point where you can't even play it in 1024x768.
>>
>>19118787
>eweryone say so
It's a good game. It has the best mech simulation and movement in the series which MW4 simplified a ton. The only downside is they never made a mercenary spinoff of it like MW2 or MW3.
>>
>>19117499
its a nice love letter to the OVA era, but really terribly hampered by it's technological limitations, SHOGO and Blood 2 being so jank lead directly to AVP2 being pretty incredible by comparison despite being in the same engine, and let's not forget how fucking awesome FEAR1 was using those games as building blocks.
>>
>>19119192
it's less technological limitations and more inexperience with making their own engine considering there were massive scale mech games with beautiful graphics and simulation in the late '90s already
>>
File: aLbV7Ii.gif (836 KB, 480x360)
836 KB
836 KB GIF
>>19119173
this is awesome, big tnx my captain
>>
File: exosuit.png (361 KB, 1000x732)
361 KB
361 KB PNG
>>19119195
yeah, it really felt like Monolith really had barely any idea what they were doing with Lithtech for the first few years, they really pulled out of that dive though. AVP2 had some pretty based /m/ parts
>>
>>19119192
big agree, but yeah, guy below already mentioned it the Shogo was like first complite game on new 3d LitTech engine and most of the guys was really unexpirienced in 3D at the time.
>>
>>19119198
If I remember correctly Lithtech was originally intended to be licensed by Microsoft to showcase DirectX capabilities but they dropped out at some point and shafted Monolith so they probably were hurting for cash.
>>
>>19119192
oh and dont forget about awesomness of NOLF!
>>
>>19119173
man the asethetics of early 00s 3d video games is starting to grow on me recently, I think it's the nostalgia.
>>
>>19119204
yes, Shogo was suppose to be Microsoft game, actually
>>
>>19119204
near as I remember, around Shogo, Monolith simply couldn't afford to market anything, they were beyond hurting for cash and were on the verge of death. They were basically kept afloat by GT interactvie at the time and GT was getting cold feet because Lith wanted to delay blood 2 again. Eventually it was simply do or die and both Shogo got released too early, and sold like ass, and GT Forced them to put Blood 2 to market before it was done. Both releases were weeks before and after Half-Life so they got completely fucked at retail.
>>
>>19119217
MW2 is late 90s. early 00s is more like MW4
>>
>>19119217
In some ways, I prefer the original MechWarrior 2's textureless environment.
https://youtu.be/L0mSdnxM7fc?t=1808

>>19119221
MW2 was 1995, MW3 was 1999, MW4 was 2000. Personally I think MW3 looks better than 4 due to animations https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PV70Zh3lH-A
vs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-2mAh9EsWg
>>
>>19117499
I can't because I haven't played, but this guy can

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kmCwdC9FBH0

He's not an anime fan, he just knows his classic PC FPSs
>>
>>19119239
I always liked 4's animations more, but nothing can beat 3's cockpit view. I hated how your face is against the glass in 4 just so they don't have to model unique cockpits.
>>
>>19120437
I see you're a client of the Department of Special Corrections too, huh?
>>
>>19120450
Nah, just another inmate like CV-11
>>
>>19119220
>Both releases were weeks before and after Half-Life so they got completely fucked at retail.

Blood 2 didn't even need Half Life to fuck itself over, that game is a pile of raw uncooked indev that could've easily killed Monolith's reputation on the merits of GT forcing them into that never-enviable position of hoping to fix it in post launch via patches.

There's a timeline where Monolith gets ratfucked into oblivion before they could do FEAR and I'm thankful we aren't in that one.
>>
>>19120437
I wish he still made movie reviews every now and then, he does the "riff on schlocky old anime" schtick alot better than Sage:
https://youtu.be/xhsC3lPxIMk
>>
The fact that several sound effects are from the same sound library that Gundam and a lot of other mecha series like to us is enough for me to know this game was made by a bunch of absolute mecha dorks. Even Shogo is the worst thing ever I can respect it. Then again it seems like a fair bit of late 90's FPS devs liked their robot cartoons. Like how the Half Life Alpha uses a Zentraedi Battle Pod in one of the physics test rooms.
>>
>>19120437
There's also this video, and this is the one that completely sold me on playing the game.
https://youtu.be/wqHcKjzjJpk
>>
File: 1605025106317.jpg (160 KB, 960x720)
160 KB
160 KB JPG
>>19120473
>sage
Im still pissed off about the shit he said in his Macross II video
>>
>>19118787
>Mechwarrior 3 is shit cus ppl didnt like it
wrong
>>
>>19121046
againt it's just what i heard, not my opiniones
>>
>>19120478
really like the pitch of the lead designer of Shogo for the game: "ok do you know this japanise ppl love big robot? i think big robot cool too, so lets make a game where you can fly around in a big robot and blew up shit with guns!"
>>
>>19121149
For the record it was well received.
>>
>>19121159
i only seen ppl shitting on it
maybe it's only in my contry, i suppose
>>
>>19120478
also dude, "worst thing ever"? Seriously?
>>
>>19119173
This is an amazing thing you’ve done
>>
>>19120437
CV-11 is cool and this is a good vid
>>
>>19117499
>prove me wrong
It was made by gaijin scum.
Next.
>>
File: unknown.png (961 KB, 1848x1040)
961 KB
961 KB PNG
>>19121181
If it means people who normally wouldn't go through the effort get to play great games, I don't mind putting in the effort. Might do something similar for Starsiege although that game the only real problem is there's no online guides explaining how to get CD music working as well as a modern mouse and keyboard config.
>>
>>19117499
I love Shogo but that game is filled with design problems.
>>
>>19122610
it is, but what's important, is this game is fun
>>
For me, it's MechCommander.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HcCxK5jq65I
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (26 KB, 480x360)
26 KB
26 KB JPG
you are like little babies
>>
>>19124714
Steel Battalion? Always wanted to play that one but played MechAssault instead.
>>
>>19117873
This post was made from someone who didn’t play titanfall
>>
>>19122544
I remember I had to download the music separately and put the mp3 files in the main directory of the game in order to get it to play.
>>
>>19124674
They released a mod/patch back in the day that gave you the downed Timberwolf from the opening cinema that pretty much made for an EZ mode, as even half fucked up it could still curbstomp pretty much anything you faced in the early missions
>>
>>19126676
The game's pretty hard and requires you to be patient and setup before engaging the enemy so it's easy to see how normalfags got filtered and needed an official cheat mode.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.