[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/m/ - Mecha

[Advertise on 4chan]

Name
Spoiler?[]
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File[]
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 87 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

Self-serve ads are available again! Check out our new advertising page here.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: x6.png (911 KB, 2060x1466)
911 KB
911 KB PNG
Just finished Go, what a fucking wild ending. Already read Shin, so I've been going through the manga in "chronological" order, not production order.
My question for people more knowledgeable about the series is, does it matter if I read Hien: Earth Suicide, before Arc? From what I understand, Arc was cancelled on top of getting an anime release next year, so I'd rather read the more "complete" one first.
>>
I'd suggest reading Hien after Arc
>>
I just finished Go too and can someone explain me what the fuck happened? What I think happened was Getter combining with reptiloid base thing and flying to fucking Mars but I have no idea why.
>>
>>19109608
OP here. From what I understood, Getter Rays are the impetus behind the development of "living" beings across the universe, also everything ever has a conciousness, even if you can't perceive it as being "alive". Shin Getter Robo, being the most powerful Getter ever built, became a receptacle for the will of the Getter Rays, absorbing its pilots and other organisms to then jettison from the earth and render Mars habitable for the development of new life. Earth was the plant, and Shin Getter Robo became a new seed of life to be planted on Mars.
>>
>>19109636
Oh yeah now it makes sense. Thanks anon.
>>
>>19109497
Arc is complete, and good. Hien is low quality cope.
>>
File: you.jpg (89 KB, 1300x866)
89 KB
89 KB JPG
>>19109497
>so I've been going through the manga in "chronological" order,
>>
So whats everyone's opinion on Devolution? I personally enjoyed it. I feel like a few of the problems I've seen people have with it(Like them thinking the Fake Emperor was the real emperor.) were probably based on not paying attention.

It reminds me of the "What are the origins of Getter Emperor?" debates, where the manga makes it pretty clear that Shin becomes Emperor, while it can be guessed that Dragon became Saint Dragon(The big getter seen in Ryoma's short trip to the future in Shin)
>>
>>19109497
Hien is the Silmarillion of Getter Robo. Not in terms of quality but because it's just something thrown together from the creator's notes by people that aren't as talented as the original creator.
>>
>>19111291
>it's just something thrown together from the creator's notes
Isn't this a baseless rumor?
>>
File: EVCCxvZXkAA4aiE.jpg (190 KB, 736x1283)
190 KB
190 KB JPG
>>19109636
That's basically it
>>
>>19111250
Getter fan since 1999 here. Devolution sucks hard.
>>
>>19111599
Haven't read Devolution so you might be right, but I want you to know that backing up your opinion with "I've been a fan for ___ long" makes you a faggot
>>
>>19111250
Getter fan since 2014 here. Didn't care much for Devolution, plot didn't really grab me
>>
>>19111291
>>19111296

Yeah, I just checked the Japanese wiki page and it only credits Ishikawa, right alongside Nagai, as original creator (which happens with anything Getter related), there seems to be nothing Ishikawa related specific to Hien. People seemed to assume it was based on Ishikawa notes just because it uses Arc's setting.
>>
>>19109497
WE FUCKING TOLD YOU TO READ THE GETTER SAGA AS IT INTENDED!

Also, the Tree at the end of Hien threw everything off, so I suggest that you Read ARC before it.
>>
>>19109636
Then why does Emperor look like a big Getter Dragon? Why does EVERYTHING evil and ominous look like a big Getter Dragon?
>>
>>19111733
The way I see it, Emperor is what Shin eventually became after all the unknown fuckery on Mars. Dragon incubated and became Saint Dragon after whatever happened after Arc's ending that got cut short.
>>
>>19111733
>Then why does Emperor look like a big Getter Dragon
It doesn't, really. Looks more like a bulky Shin with more head spikes
>>
>>19109608
Shin Getter was built with the function of collecting and utilizing Getter Rays by itself, significantly reduce the time it needs to refuel. The problem is that after the Dragon incident it been left in the Bunker gathering Getter energy with no way of venting the excess amount, causing it to suffer the same fate as the Getter that caused the Meltdown to begin with (but in a more subtile fashion). Basically, Shin Getter is suffering from Getter Overload.

Getter Arc is a successor in not only that it's just as powerful (if not more so) than Shin, but it's have a venting mechanism that ensure that what happened to Shin and Dragon will never occur in the new Getter (for better or worst).
>>
>people say that Getter is not a bad guy, it's just life and evolution itself
Ishikawa himself said in the Getter Robo Bible that Emperor is the enemy of all the universe, including humanity. Because Getter Rays existing is not necessarily a good thing.
>>
>>19111733
Emperor looks exactly like Shin.
>>
>>19111759
Arc is technically weaker than Shin Getter, but it's built so it shouldn't overload and go berserk like Shin in the end of Getter Go.
Which means it can be used safely at full power, resulting into a greater effective power.

>>19111763
page? Having a copy of the bible I can at lest post a photo of the relevant part so we can double-check it
>>
>>19111763
Which page?
>>
File: 17.jpg (219 KB, 728x1107)
219 KB
219 KB JPG
>>19111733
Besides some extra headspikes, Emperor doesn't resemble Dragon much at all(Though he does have a little dragon head under the main head when in ship form)

Emperor is more than likely the evolved Shin for the simple reason that his memories of Earth ended when Shin flew to mars.
>>
>>19111803
Also the inside of the Getter Armada ships is interesting because they're just a bunch of randomly placed Getter heads(of all forms)
>>
Is DynaPro ever going to use their tank of getter energy to revive Ishikawa? They must have collected more than enough getter rays by now.
>>
>>19109497
It's better to follow the production order because you can see how Ishikawa pulls shit out of his butt(but in a positive way) along the way. All the Shin Getter, Ryouma, Satome labs stuff only came after the the Go TV show ended. He was out of stuff to adapt into the manga run and had the bright idea that he could fill in that lost time to tie it even closer to the OG series .

In a way, Hien is dudes pulling shit out of their asses too but they're just not as good at it as Ishikawa was.
>>
File: Getter-Robo-Bible-031.png (610 KB, 1410x2052)
610 KB
610 KB PNG
>>19111779
>>19111781

Page 31:
>石川:例えば人類が「進化」して宇宙に飛び 出していった場合、それは「正義」なのか「悪」 なのか、みたいなイメージです。どこまでも 進化していった場合、宇宙の生物にとって人 類は脅威になるんじゃないか、侵略という 本能的なものがどうしても残ってしまい、そ うならざるを得ないのではないか、とかで すね。
>中島:それは『號」の時点で考えられていた んですか?
>石川:もちろん、そうですね。主人公 = 善で はないというか、むしろ途中からは「ゲッタ ーは悪だ」といっか「絶対悪」のようなイメ ージを持っていました。そのイメージは『號』 の最後の方でハチュウ人類が語っています。 侵略者は人間で、自分たちは元の世界を取 り戻したいだけだ、というコンセプトで。そ の「絶対悪」がどんどん進化していくとどの ようになるのか、それを『アーク」では追い かけてみたかったんですよ。「真」で登場した 進化の最終形・ゲッターエンペラーは、その イメージを具現化したものなんです。
>>
>>19112287
>Ishikawa: For example, when humankind "evolves" and jumps out into space, it’s a case of if it’s "justice" or "evil". If it evolves forever, humankind will become a threat to the creatures of the universe, and instincts of invasion will inevitably remain, and it will be unavoidable.
>Nakajima: Was that considered at the time of "Go"?
>Ishikawa: Of course, that's right. The protagonists aren’t necessarily good, but rather, from the middle, I had an image like “absolute evil” or “Getter is evil”. This is spoken out by the Reptiloids at the end of "Go". To them, the humans are the bad guys, and they just want to regain their original world. In Ark, I wanted to show what that “absolute evil” would look like as it evolved. The final form of evolution, the Getter Emperor, that appeared in "Shin" is a manifestation of that image.
>>
File: Getter-Robo-Bible-033.png (628 KB, 1422x2046)
628 KB
628 KB PNG
>>19112292
Page 33:
>石川:いや、人類はその時には別の進化をし ているんですよ。つまり何らかの形でゲッ ターと共生してる。でもこのゲッターと人 類は、なぜか太陽系から出ることができな い。壁があるというか、何者かの意志でと じ込められてしまうんです。何度も突き破 ろうと試みるんですが、帰還しなかったり、 爆破されたりして妨害される。太陽系から 出られないことを、ゲッターと人類が認識 したとき、そこでゲッターを進化させてい く。これが工ンペラーへの進化へと向かって いくんです。それが宇宙全体にとって脅威 なんですね。だから封じ込められていたワ ケです。
>石川:本当は「聖ドラゴン」の回で描くつもりだったんですけど、どういうワケかそこまで描けませんでした。

>Ishikawa: No, humanity is undergoing another evolution at that time. In other words, it coexists with Getter in some way. But for some reason this getter and humanity cannot get out of the solar system. There is a wall, or they’re trapped by someone's will. They try to break through many times but get blown up every time. When Getter and human beings recognize that they cannot get out of the solar system, they evolve there. This is the evolution towards Emperor. That is a threat to the entire universe. That's why it was contained.
>Ishikawa: Actually, I was planning to draw it in the "Saint Dragon" episode, but I couldn't draw that much for some reason.
>>
>>19111779
Page 33:
中島:それでは質問その三。物語の冒頭でハ ヤトがアークを「早乙女博士最後の遺産」と 言っていますが、いつ作ってたんですかね?
石川:なるほど。それはですね、1体のゲッ ターを作るためには、かなりの試作品を作 るワケですよ。その中から生まれてきたん です。真ゲッターよりも安定性があり、かつ 効率的な工ネルギー消費をするアークが。
中島:そう考えると、真ゲッターとアークの 違いって何なんですか?
石川:うーん、何だろうね?
中島:やはり性能を良くしたといつか、すぐ に火星に飛んでいかないようにしたとか(爆 笑)。もしくは爪や牙など生命体に近づける ことによってゲッター工ネルギーの暴走を 防いでいるとか
石川:まあ、真ゲッターの欠点を補って改良 したってことでしょう(汗)。次の質問は?

Nakajima: Then question three. At the beginning of the story, Hayato calls Ark "the final legacy of Dr. Saotome." When was it made?
Ishikawa: I see. Well, in order to make one Getter, you have to make many prototypes. It was born from that. Arc is more stable than Shin Getter and consumes energy with better efficiency.
Nakajima: What is the difference between True Getter and Arc?
Ishikawa: What do you mean?
Nakajima: It was said that its performance was improved, was it so it wouldn't fly to Mars (laughs)? Or was it made to appear closer to a life form with its fangs and claws so that Getter energy won't go out of control?
Ishikawa: Well, I suppose that it was improved to compensate for the drawbacks of Shin Getter (sweats). Next question?
>>
Speaking of Hien, First things first:
Getter Gaia? My wife. Moving on.

I think my least favorite part about some of the spinoff manga is that they overplay the "Getter robo is a monster" thing. With both Hien and the getter from Darkness being large fanged and spiky.

I also completely forgot that Bug of all things shows up in Hien. Though it was as only a silhouette in one of the final chapters(And fully in the anthology chapter)
>>
>>19111352
What's the green glowy one again? Shin Getter Dragon?
>>
>>19112287
>>19112292
>>19112298
>>19112304
Thanks anon, I made the original statement but I didn't have on-hand the pages myself, I just remembered reasong that
>>
File: EErr20tWsAIBhO9.jpg (267 KB, 814x1169)
267 KB
267 KB JPG
>>19111759
I wish we could someday see an animated form of the MANGA shin getter.
He was nerfed to fuck and back in Armageddon, and even more so in Shin Vs Neo (lol gets slapped around by a large lizard)
>>
>>19112912
Yeah, the one that pops up behind Arc in the end of the manga
>>
>>19113575
Maybe we'll get flashbacks in the Arc anime? I think Hayato mentions the original incident and they could show Shin flying to mars during their meeting with Musashi(Doubt it'll happen though)
>>
So were the cyborg future human/worm things from shin actually seen on mars, not earth? It'd probably make sense if all the spacefaring jumbo-getters came probably from whatever happens to mars.
>>
>>19111250
I don't regret reading it but it felt a little pointless. It's harder to care about what's going on when it's just another alternate dimension/alternate timeline/simulation/etc
>>
>>19112292
>This is spoken out by the Reptiloids at the end of "Go". To them, the humans are the bad guys, and they just want to regain their original world.
I mean Ishikawa isn't wrong, but the Dinosaurs go about doing that by killing everyone. They're no different from the demons in Devilman in that respect, same goals and methods.
>>
>>19113575
I think Shin Getter was best represented in both OVAs; the problem is that in Go, it's suffering from Getter Overdose.
>>
>>19114034
>I think Shin Getter was best represented in both OVAs
How so?
>>
>>19114040
well, I mean it can use the Stoner Sunshine in armageddon that's for sure. Plus in Neo vs. Shin. it does evolved into a more powerful form at the end.

You're thinking about Shin Getter in Go, where after being left in a bunker for 15 years, that it's so overloaded with Getter energy that its Stoner Sunshines can nuke mountains and can absorb an entire warhead.
>>
File: 1586180381785.jpg (475 KB, 1920x1080)
475 KB
475 KB JPG
>>19114050
It's powers in the OVAs really aren't unique in any shape way or form, though - I mean sure it still has that really cool Getter aesthetic which everybody love, but it still functions like your run-of-the-mill super robot. Some beams here, tomahawk there.

In the Go manga, it's an absolute terror-inspiring 'force of nature' and isn't afraid to show it. That's what made it unique!
>>
File: gettershin2.jpg (239 KB, 1100x772)
239 KB
239 KB JPG
>>19114088
It's only "really" amazing feat was cleaving a couple planets apart, but that was by using Shin Dragon as a battery.

Go version is just on a completely different level.
>>
>>19112287
>>19112292
>>19112298
>>19112304
very useful, thank you
>>
>>
>>19114134
still can't believe this mf just immediately stops being racist after seeing a cute asian girl
>>
>>19114172
all men are like that
>>
>>19112304
>Nakajima: Then question three. At the beginning of the story, Hayato calls Ark "the final legacy of Dr. Saotome." When was it made?
>Ishikawa: I see. Well, in order to make one Getter, you have to make many prototypes. It was born from that. Arc is more stable than Shin Getter and consumes energy with better efficiency.
>Nakajima: It was said that its performance was improved, was it so it wouldn't fly to Mars (laughs)? Or was it made to appear closer to a life form with its fangs and claws so that Getter energy won't go out of control?
>Ishikawa: Well, I suppose that it was improved to compensate for the drawbacks of Shin Getter (sweats). Next question?
So, it's just as powerful as base Shin Getter; but built so that it won't be overloaded with Getter Energy like with Shin and Dragon.
>>
>>19114134
I think the next page is one of my favorites. Go is such a fucking funny asshole. He just immediately fucking jumps on his back and touches his face.
>>
>>19114172
in a sense, you could say its prophetic
>>
I would say the only ova where it really felt like the Getter was drinking too much of the getter ray kool-aid is New Getter where it got so bad that it was starting to take over Ryouma
>>
>>19114191
Sounds more like it's slightly less powerful, but it can actually fight at full strength without risk
>>
>>19114338
It's more or less as powerful as Shin Getter in Armageddon note that Final Getter Tomahawk was preformed with Shin Dragon giving it the energy needed to do so, and it took out its arms in the process.
>>
Just finished Devolution.
I really don't know. The story flew by, not many good panels or story bits to stay in mind.
It feels strange because for the first part seems a retelling for a new audience, then we go red pill all the way till the end. The idea is nice in theory, but ihmo not executed well. This should be a jump off point for a new age of stories they say, but after this what you can tell?
The only meta question one could answer is what happens at the battle at the end of time and space (you know, the one we see at the end of last day), but even then seems like a Valhalla dream for warriors who only want to fight.
I'm almost sad to say that the best getter story seems to be Lagann.
>>
>>19114442
>I'm almost sad to say that the best getter story seems to be Lagann
Not the Saga itself?
>>
>>19114442
>The idea is nice in theory, but ihmo not executed well.
even the idea at the end is bad.

it's a nice Sci-Fi concept, but I feel it's antithetic to the Getter narrative.

>>19114442
>I'm almost sad to say that the best getter story seems to be Lagann.
I don't agree. While I like it, Gurren-Lagann fails to show Spiral Energy as SCARY and potentially dangerous though.
Yeah, we are told about Spiral Nemesis, but the main characters are never really confronted by this darker side of the spiral.

Hell, Getter was scary from the start if one remembered it was super-toxic to Dinos.
It fucking MELT them.
>>
>>19114458
>Gurren-Lagann fails to show Spiral Energy as SCARY and potentially dangerous though.
On this you are absolutely right.
It would be nice to have a long standing series for all the getter saga like they did for Jojo. Maybe it exists in a parallel timeline
>>
>>19114511
I wonder if the TTGL manga does any better on that front
>>
>>19114514
not to my knowledge.
it should be just a retelling of the show without any real difference.
>>
>>19114458
>>19114511
Spiral Energy wasn't supposed to be a danger in itself, but more about people misusing it leading to destruction (of potentially everything).

They probably would have needed an arc about facing another Spiral race, with both escalating in power and destruction during the conflict in order to really push that.
>>
>>19114514
I've never seen raws of it past chapter 22, so I wouldn't know.
>>
>>19114554
https://nyaa.si/view/1262095
They do exist
>>
>>19114541
>They probably would have needed an arc about facing another Spiral race
That's literally what the Anti-Spirals are, a race of Spirals that sealed away their own spiral power
>>
>>19114511
>>19114458
>>19114541
Maybe this was supposed to be the point of that 'batshit insane captain garlock' scene from the intro of episode 1...
>>
>>19114172
She saved his life and it really turned him on. Happens to all of us.
>>
>>19115416
if so, it failed.
>>
>>19114172
Why oversimplify it? He hatef Japanese because overseas competition drove his family out of business. But then he actually met some, was saved by one, fought at their side and realized they weren't bad people. Like, just pay attention.
>>
>>19111763
Cope dinocuck
>>
>>19116142
>He hatef Japanese because overseas competition drove his family out of business.
And because his grandfather died at Pearl Harbor.
>>
Whatever happened with Getter Dragon after it embedded itself in the earth and started to evolve.
or was it never resolved, i cant remember
>>
>>19117221
It finally emerged during the fight between Bug and Getter Robo Arc, still all glowy and with multiple robo heads, but we never got to see what happened after that.
>>
>>19117244
oh yea, on the very last page
I wonder how the anime is gonna handle it
>>
File: dragon shin getter.jpg (619 KB, 1440x1080)
619 KB
619 KB JPG
I actually got around to watching Getter Armageddon because I never did and I wish I did before because it's the sickest shit ever and I can see why people like it so much. This fight sequence is among my favorites in anything ever. The back and forth of two similar robots switching forms constantly was really cool, I wish it lasted longer but I'll be damned if it wasn't amazing.
I really liked how the Getter team felt like actual veterans compared to how they used Shin Getter compared to the Go team. They could also pull off combining with minimum communication and there was no arguing about what form to stay in or use. They would just switch out whenever needed and let one of the other two handle the situation.
>>
>>19117221
Hayato released it to nuke bugs which had infiltrated the lab
Then it was released again to nuke Bug at the end of Arc
Then it evolved into Getter Saint Dragon after it irradiated Earth and absorbed Bug
>>
>>19117714
>This fight sequence is among my favorites in anything ever.
Same, it's really damn good.
>>
File: file.png (921 KB, 1008x1465)
921 KB
921 KB PNG
>>19114099
>>19114088
Once again, Getter overdose.
It was explained in the following Shin Getter Manga with Getter Dragon gained too much Getter Energy, which resulted in a Meltdown (which hinted to become Saint Dragon in the future).
>>
File: file.png (944 KB, 1200x953)
944 KB
944 KB PNG
>>19118001
Hell, the Shin Getter in Go and the following manga were vastly different despite being the Same Robot, due to the effect of excess Getter Energy.
>>
File: file.png (1015 KB, 509x712)
1015 KB
1015 KB PNG
>>19118008
Which is why I think Neo vs. Shin provide an semi-accurate depiction of Shin Getter in terms of Potential; especially when it became God Getter at the end
>>
File: file.png (1.43 MB, 1192x1740)
1.43 MB
1.43 MB PNG
>>19117244
>pic related
>>
File: Spoiler Image (896 KB, 1080x799)
896 KB
896 KB PNG
>>19117780
>pic related
>>
File: wojak4.jpg (11 KB, 236x253)
11 KB
11 KB JPG
>>19118023
I'll never quite get over just how dreadful saint dragon looks like
>>
>>19118023
man my memory is shit. I just reread most of the getter series about a month ago and I still cant recall your picture or its context.

>>19117780
is there a difference between getter saint dragon and getter emperor?
>>
>>19118230
probably? It's unclear. Shin is likely intended to be the identity of the getter emperor, but we have no real grasp of how specifically it comes to be, so it's entirely possible the dragon-like head of the emperor is because saint dragon is a component and/or catalyst of its existence, as Ishikawa implies in the Bible interview.
>>
>>19118342
Emperor has no memories of Earth past flaying to Mars, which suggests he didn't eat\fused with Saint Dragon
>>
>>19118360
A fair point, so maybe. Though, it's entirely possible we've spotted a plot hole that we were not supposed to there, since Ishikawa seemed to put a lot of emphasis on Saint's importance and downplay Shin's importance in the bible interview.

Personally, I'm more concerned about the "humans" seen during Saint's appearance in Shin's manga. I think I have an understanding of what they mean and how they fit in to the chronology based on the context clues of the last three installments, but they're never directly addressed again after their initial appearance, so my understanding of them is headcanon and I'd much rather not have to live with that.
>>
>>19118370
>so my understanding of them is headcanon and I'd much rather not have to live with that
Why?
>>
>>19118372
because they're fucking cool and I wanted to know what the fuck Ken was actually planning with them rather than farting around with what I "think" he was.
>>
>>19117714
I love that fight but it's really just a copy of a fight that happens in the first few chapters of the manga's second arc where Dinosaurs steal Getter G and the team have to take the original Getter out of a museum to fight it. That panel screencap you posted and the scene where they grab the Getter Dragon part to stop them from combining are directly taken from the manga. Though I feel like there's a lot less tension in the OVA as Shin Getter is clearly stronger, it just can't regenerate like G can. In the manga the Getter was clearly outmatched by G and they had to play smart to beat it.
>>
File: 20160628163721546.jpg (176 KB, 977x1484)
176 KB
176 KB JPG
>>19118514
Forgot pic
>>
File: 20160628163729947.jpg (230 KB, 988x1482)
230 KB
230 KB JPG
>>19118517
And the other
>>
>>19118230
>is there a difference between getter saint dragon and getter emperor?
Saint Dragon is the Getter of Earth.
Getter Emperor is the Getter of Space.

I think it implies that Saint Dragon was stranded on earth which is why the Humans manage space travel without the use of Getter Energy; it's the same energy that prevented them from going to space in the first place. Emperor was a loophole of Getter on Humans in Space; as it continue to evolve off of Earth and thus travel across the Universe, once again meeting with humans at some point.
>>
>>19111621
What I mean by that is that I am a fag fanboy and even to me, Devolution sucks hard. It's a mess both writting and drawing and, at the end, it is rushed as fuck.
>>
>>19112912
>I was planning to draw it in the "Saint Dragon" episode, but I couldn't draw that much for some reason.

>>19113587
Wrong. It's Saint Dragon.
>>
>>19114442
>I'm almost sad to say that the best getter story seems to be Lagann.

Bland retard
>>
>>19117780
Absorbed bug? AFAIR Bug was still standing in front of Saint Dragon.
>>
>>19118651
that last part was clearly a headcanon/extrapolation based on Ryoma's future vision in Shin, and the last chapter of Arc. We never got to see the end of that fight.
>>
>>19118653
But you assumed that like it happened, and ti wasn't explained and you can't even assume that.
>>
>>19118653
>>19118654
I'm not that same anon. I agree with you, I'm just clarifying that they were making assumptions.
>>
BTW we always forget about this little bastard... This design seems to be vagely based on Saint Dragon but this design is so lame...
>>
Even the first form is WAY better.
>>
File: uzahra.png (586 KB, 780x1324)
586 KB
586 KB PNG
>>19118665
I loved Shin Dragon until he developed his elongated torso, what a letdown. At least we got to see his true true form later in armageddon, in space.
Speaking of which, what the fuck is up with pic related? This part is so little mentioned by people in discussion online that it feels a bit like a dream to me.
>>
>>19118690
Just something Ishikawa came up with to give G an exciting final chapter, I'd imagine
>>
>>19118696
This chapter feels way more Nagai than Ishikawa to me; especially after reading things like Great Mazinger, Mao Dante, Demon Knight or God Mazinger. Nagai sure likes his super advanced forgotten civilizations.
>>
>>19118671
I wonder if the original intention WAS for it to end up becoming Saint Dragon before the switch happened.

Beyond that, I wish the final form of shin dragon wasn't just a bootleg Uzahra.
>>
>>19118702
It is entirely possible that Nagais influence rubbed off on Ishikawa, or that he talked to Nagai to try and get some ideas. They were good friends, after all. There's probably some mention of it in the bible somewhere
>>
>>19118720
Armageddon was first released in 1998, and the chapter Encounter with the Unknown (the one with Saint Dragon) was first released in the Getter Robo Generation art book in 1999. It's likely that Shin Dragon precedes Saint Dragon, even if Ishikawa designed them both.
>>
So...was Saotome in Armageddon truly infected or not? I know Invaders were keeping him alive but did he actually have his mind?
>>
>>19119191
I choose to believe he was a double agent that betrayed humanity to the Invaders in hopes that doing so would make humanity strong enough to defeat them.
>>
>>19118639
Wrong. The green energy one is Shin Dragon. The one behind it is Saint Dragon. Wrong. Wrong. Wrong. Stop being wrong.
>>
>>19120315
Wrong. You can clearly see both poseidon and laiger heads as the saint dragon in the final chapter of ark. And the "saint dragon" from shin, afair, is not to mention as saint dragon anywhere.

In any case the green one is saint dragon and you are still wrong. Please, stop telling lie or talking about something that you have no idea.

Thank you.
>>
>>19119191
I think he had his mind pre-timeskip but was just a puppet post-timeskip.
>>
>>19119191
It's very clear that he was a double agent. He said to the getter team that the roads he was preparing ends there, implying that everything that happenend was his idea.
>>
>>19118690
final weapon of the Atlantis civilization.
They woke up and after 10k years it was time to conquer earth with their SUPERIOR SUPER SCIENCE!! but the Demon Empire outsmarted them so they upgraded Dragon and gave Uzala to the Getter Team for the final battle.
>>
>>19120469
check better the last chapter of Arc.
It was never called SAINT Dragon.

Only the Shin one was called Saint Dragon, on page.

>>19120471
after discovering the Invaders behinf Michiru's death, Saotome faked his death and went into hiding preparing Shin Getter and Shin Dragon.

He was corrupted\possessed by the Invaders after the bomb, and got free of their influence with the Stoner Sunshine.
>>
>>19120522
We are not talking about that, we are talking about the green one on the image and it is NOT the Shin Dragon/Shin Getter Dragon.
>>
>>19114541
Spiral Energy is what people tend to assume Getter Energy is. The neutral drive to survival in itself.
>>
>>19120539
Because the one that appear on the last page is Getter Dragon and could be Saint, but definivetly is not Shin Dragon/Shin Getter Dragon.
>>
>>19120539
the green one in the image is the Dragon at the end of Arc.
IIRC in some translation it's called Shin Dragon, but it was a translation error
>>
>>19120542
Translations? First notice... Which translations are those?
>>
File: dino getter.jpg (121 KB, 750x750)
121 KB
121 KB JPG
I really, really liked Dino Getter.
>>
>>19120539
>>19120542
>>19120545
You dumbasses need to stop. The three headed energy Getter is Shin Getter Dragon which first debuted in the last chapter of Shin Getter Robo. It later appeared twice in Getter Robo Arc. The first time in an early chapter when Hayato released it to irradiate aliens which had infiltrated the lab, and a second time at the very end of the manga. Getter Saint Dragon is the Getter which appears in the Shin Getter Robo chapter where Ryouma goes to the future. In the image, is it behind boyh Shin Getter Dragon and Shin Getter. Holy shit why is this even being debated stop being an idiot
>>
>>19120589
Mostly because the only instance of "Shin Dragon" or "Shin Getter Dragon" being mentioned in the manga is in SOME scans of the last page of Arc

thus while everybody agrees that's the evolved\overloaded Getter G, not everybody agrees it should be called "Shin"
>>
>>19120589
Had the original mangas on my house and never seen Shin Dragon anywhere. In fact, Shin Dragon only appear on an anime, and in some video games.

Are you sure that in the manga those are called Shin Dragon? Because I can't read the word Shin reffering to Dragon anywhere.
>>
>>19120590
>>19120593
It's Shin Getter Dragon, just stop.
>>
>>19118518
That particular bit was based off the Devil King fight from G
>>
This incident that destroyed the Saotome Research shown in Shin completely contradicts how Go Hayato described it in Go. Am I missing something or was that a retcon?
>>
what's that irl (and abandoned) lab that's near a volcano that bears a strong resemblance to the Saotome Labs?
>>
>>19121541
Retcon
>>
>>19121541
Retcon, though not exactly a lie. An in-universe explanation could be that he didn't want to explain about the sleeping dragon or emperor.
>>
>>19120606
From what I heard, Getter Dragon became Shin Getter Dragon in Daikessen through an over exposure of Getter Rays in a short period of time. I think that's what happened there, as Getter Dragon is evolving overtime.

Plus Shin Dragon in Armageddon is one big cluster of Getter G Machines.
>>
>>19121541
Retconned in the Getter Saga edition of Go.
>>
>>19121554
It's the Asama Observatory
https://www.google.com/amp/s/abandonedkansai.com/2016/04/19/asama-observatory-and-volcano-museum/amp/
Mt. Asama is also the setting of the Saotome lab. Pretty cool imo.
>>
>>19122211
thanks
>>
I confused about the ending of Hien: What was that thing that ate Getter Gaia?
>>
>>19123391
Either one of the andromeda country's ships, or a strange looking Getter Armada ship(Leaning towards the latter, since it just took them to the future instead of killing them)
>>
>>19123602
it talked to the pilots, which is something we have seen only Getters do.
>>
>>19123602
>>19124170
It didn't look like a Getter and the aliens have talked to humans plenty. Also Hien ended up killing it. Honestly, who knows what it was
>>
>>19123391
It's supposed to be an evolved version of Bug from Arc (at least according to the Japanese wikipedia).
>>
File: bug.jpg (478 KB, 1600x1134)
478 KB
478 KB JPG
Is there any sort of connection between Flieder Bug and the one in Arc, or did Ishikawa just feel extra lazy?
>>
>>19124772
Flieder Bug was always an alt-universe Getter of sorts. Remember that Ishikawa's original concept was called "Getter Three" where the three Getter were separate robots instead of a transforming combiner. Well Flieder Bug was his take on that, which is why the three main robots resemble Getters 1, 2 and 3. The Bug design only appeared fir a few pages in Flieder Bug, so why waste it? I'm glad he reused it for Arc. It was too good to be a throwaway.
>>
you guys think they will try to tie more of the other ishikawa mangas into arc's adaptation? what else is translated? because i want to check out more of him
>>
>>19126145
i think there was a thread a few months ago with all of ishikawa's works on mega, both raws and translated
>>
>>19126145
https://www.mangaupdates.com/authors.html?id=1744
I think this is a pretty good list of his works. As far as translated works go, I remember Makai Tenshou and Samurai-tachi no Meiji Ishin being pretty good.
>>
Ishikawa Batch:

https://mega.nz/folder/bx4RCDTZ#786uy06semvK4YC3LwOYdw

Please, notify me if you miss something or if there is something wrong.
>>
>>19127322
Let me kiss you.
>>
>>19127453
>>19127322
Do you have any of 伊賀淫花忍法帳 ?
>>
>>19127491
Still searching.
>>
Well I read Arc in preparation for the anime.
Ngl for what we got before he died, yeah there was buildup but the actual work as we have it is kinda meh.
>>
>>19127820
>but the actual work as we have it is kinda meh
How so?
>>
>>19127836
I don't know, I just read it and I never had a moment where I was blown away. I never had a "what the fuck is going on" moment like the first time I read Go and the final chapter happened. And I never had the sense of wonder I got when first reading those beginning chapters of the manga and seeing how the story all tied together. Arc to me was just another Getter story, a leadup to something that ended up never happening.
>>
>>19127258
>>19127274
>>19127322
thank you guys gonna check them out
>the mahjong getter spin off is also there
oh boy
>>
>>19112292
>>19112298
so the emperor is a "bad end" of sorts, maybe the conflict in ark would have evolved in finding a way to make the getter emperor not as destructive to other non-human civilizations, maybe with humanity/other living beings taking control of the getter instead of them being controlled by it?
>>
>>19129007
He doesn't necessarily say that Emperor is absolute evil for sure, but that he wanted to show what that kind of future would look like in Arc. Remember, he also portrayed Getter as evil in both Go and Shin, before revealing that Getter's true intent was ultimately more about propagating all life. His comments about Getter being trapped in the solar system most likely refer to an ultimate enemy that fears Emperor. Sound familiar? Remember, this is an interview with Kazuki Nakashima, who would go on to write Gurren Lagann.
>>
>>19129007
>>19129158
My guess is that Emperor was self-aware that it was going to eventually consume the universe if Getter was left unchecked and that's why it *allowed* the Getter Team to return, even though it knows Kamui would eventually turn on them. I don't think it's Getter trying to kill itself through Kamui, but rather they want to create an opposing force strong enough to balance Getter in the future. It's sorta like the eternal-battle ending to New Getter Robo or the Spiral vs Anti-Spiral backstory in Gurren Lagann.
>>
>>19129174
>know the future
>be evil in front of kamui
>make kamui go into bug's chamber (baku volunteered to go and getter stopped him)
I think they pushed Kamui into attacking humanity because it's the event that drives humans into space to start the chain of events that leads to Emperor.
>>
so what does Getter mean?
>>
>>19129209
I dunno, it sounds a bit like Gattai? They maybe also thought it was a nice vaguely-used-for-the-meaning thing to use something based on the English verb Get to imply like, proactiveness/action maybe to people who know a little bit of English?
>>
>>19129209
Getter = Get + Better
so evolution, basically
yes that's the real explanation, Ishikawa was my dad's best friend
>>
>>19129209
I've heard:
>Bastardization of Gattai Robo, for obvious reasons. On that note I also heard it suggested that the in Super Robot Wars, Gundam represents "real robots"; Mazinger represents "super robots" and Getter represents "combining robots", even though we consider Getter a super robot in terms of genre.
>"Goal-getter", just a positive-sounding word like how "Mazinger" is nearly "Amazing-er".
>Devolution puts forth the notion of "those who steal" and "those who are stolen from", making "Getter" literally mean "he who gets stuff".
>>
>that Kei is Genki reveal in Armageddon
Not gonna lie I didn't see that one coming at all. Fuck it was awesome, as was all of Armageddon.
>>
>>19129209
Goal getter is a jp soccer term. The pattern on getter 1's face is that of a soccer ball
>>
>>19129788
I heard it was a turtle.
>>
>>19129788
Eh... No.

>>19129802

Yes.
>>
>>19129802
>>19130564
Hi fucking retard, don't comment about things you don't know
From jap srw wiki
>名前の由来はサッカーにおけるポイントゲッター。
it comes from “point getter” in soccer
https://srw.wiki.cre.jp/wiki/%E3%82%B2%E3%83%83%E3%82%BF%E3%83%BC%E3%83%AD%E3%83%9C_(%E3%83%AD%E3%83%9C%E3%83%83%E3%83%88)
>>
>>19130580
Calm the fuck down, I only said what I HEARD. From the text you pasted but can't speak I also found this:
https://w.atwiki.jp/niconicomugen/pages/8260.html
Which has both the soccer ball and turtle motifs referenced.
>>
>>19130580
On saga version, in the oomake, Ishikawa himself say that it was based on a turtle shield. There is even a draw for retards like you.
>>
>>19130580
It say the NAME and I was talking about the face design. In fact, there is no mention of the "pattern on getter 1's face is that of a soccer ball" there.

How much retard can you be?
>>
File: file.png (310 KB, 635x478)
310 KB
310 KB PNG
>>19130596
>https://w.atwiki.jp/niconicomugen/pages/8260.html
>https://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm37527641
>https://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm27803518
Holy shit, since when was the Getter-1 MUGEN character this complete? The one I have lacks special moves, combos, and uses KFM's sounds. Shit like this makes me wish all future SRWs were fightan/action games.
>>
>>19132100

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ApBnxbhbCxQ
>>
i am loving these dino versions of the trio
>>
>>19132100
God I wish we got a SRW fighting game in the style of Gundam Battle Assault 2
>>
>>19132718
Were the other two aside from Zol ever given names? If not, would be nice if the anime gave them some.
>>
>>19132971
I don't think so.

Also whatever happened to the boys? I think they may have been in the background of Kamui's takeover, but I'm almost certain they got left in the future
>>
Will the Getter Saurus SOC have the mask off version of the head?
>>
>>19111816
Hes evolving into Ken saint Ishikawa he'll only show up when Ken Arc is fighting Bug
>>
Guys, help a bro out here. I’m looking for a full version of the ending song from the final episode of Shin vs Neo OVA but I can’t find a torrent for it, let alone it on YT. On the Getter Wiki it says it’s called Yeah Yeah Yeah! Or Texas Mack’s theme. Does anyone know where I could find it
>>
>>19134199
https://files.catbox.moe/g2axet.mp3
You mean this?
>>
>>19109497
Where's the reading list for all this? I hear its one big continuous manga, but then I look for it and there's like a dozen different titles.
>>
>>19134229
I will kiss you on the lips
>>
Sorry, but the soccer reference is definitely a thing. Emperor Gol's name come's from the "goal getter" term, too.

In fairness, though, Getter-1's face only really looks like a soccer ball in the Toei anime design (where Ryoma's also a soccer player). Ishikawa never really drew it like that.
>>
>>19134258
The manga order is this:
Getter Robo
Getter Robo G
Getter Robo Go
Shin Getter Robo
Getter Robo Arc
Getter Robo Hien

As I said in the OP, I read Shin before Go and it helped explain the mindfuck that is the ending of Go, but that's because it was written to do just that AFTER Go had ended. You're better off going in production order.
>>
>>19134281
Ok thanks
>>
>>19134269
Ishikawa did use the turtle design at times. He would change and revert designs quite frequently. For example, Shin Getter goes through about three major design changes over the course of Go. The early Getter Robo chapters by Ishikawa do indeed use the turtle shell face variant, like in the scene where Ryouma sees the Getter for the first time.
>>
How does Hayato's hair fit under his helmet?
>>
>>19135385
He just tucks it in presumably. That is when he's wearing it though. I think the only ones that really consistently wear their helmets is the getter 3 pilots.
>>
>>19135385
>>19135421
I have hair about as long as Hayato and I tuck it into my fencing helmet by slicking it back (without gel).
>>
>>19135385
The helmet uses getter energy, so it works like 1's tomahawk shoulder storage
>>
File: 1503753423253.jpg (377 KB, 1000x760)
377 KB
377 KB JPG
>>19134258
>>19134286
What I wouldn't give to read Go and Shin for the first time again
>>
I'm watching Getter Robo G. Some of the episodes are rather sad, the first TV series didn't have this good writing. Episodes that spring to mind:
- that woman voiced by Masako Nozawa
- that guy trying to clear his father's name. His plan was perfect, but because of Hidler's meddling, he didn't even get to fight. JIRAI SHOGUUUUUN!!!
- that episode with the kid genius that was executed... weird thing is, most of the episode was your standard weekly monster mecha fare. They even show a good ending for Genki, remembering his friend. But then there's a final scene, showing the kid genius being executed by firing squad. It was rather shocking.
- Kochou Oni's episode. It was rather nice when Ryouma told her, even before he knew she was a Hyakki, that although she was beautiful and had the skills, she was heartless as a person.
>>
>>19135491
kek
>>
>>19134310

AFAIK Ishikawa only used the plain anime getter face for few chapters on shin, and mainly because those designs was intended to be related with the anime and not with the manga (remember that Shin mangas started like spin off, that's why some other design like Saotome varies from chapter from chapter)

About Shin there is like 3 major designs changes but it even slightly varies from panel to panel. And my favorite is the first one (pic related).
>>
>>19136013
given the horrors we've seen this machine do
I have to wonder if the constantly subtly shifting design might be canon
>>
>>19136349
Even good old Getter the First and Getter G were prone to a few disconcertingly organic traits. They can *bleed* after all.
>>
https://twitter.com/i/status/1330845069742465026
>>
>>19136349
To be honest, I though the same time ago... And it would be hella cool.
>>
>>19136013
Getter G cape or bat wings?
>>
Does anyone have that old Getter robo fanfic where the trio stick their heads into eachothers asses
>>
>>19137829
The one where Hayato smirks and does a Getter backflip?
>>
File: getter2.jpg (51 KB, 416x546)
51 KB
51 KB JPG
I like the classic turtle-faced, pill-body Getter the best.
>>
>>19137935
Yes
>>
File: reluctantjin.png (52 KB, 266x275)
52 KB
52 KB PNG
>>19138057
I've only been on /m/ a month but from archive diving binges I vividly recall which one you mean.
... I'll fetch it.
>>
File: EMa9BFbVAAIDHlp.jpg (69 KB, 301x306)
69 KB
69 KB JPG
>>19138079
Please don't.
>>
>>19111250

I don’t hate it, I thought it’s concept was kind of intriguing. I kind of felt like the story after the big revelation accelerated to a pace I found a bit jarring though. I wish they had played around with the concept of there being many different continuities of Getter Robo a bit more. And I get the thing with the False Emperor, but I still kind of had divided feelings about it.

I did think it did a nice job of capturing Getters crazy tone at times. I still sort of feel like it didn’t live up to the potential of its concept but I still found it an interesting idea.
>>
File: thisdreadfultask.png (37 KB, 211x215)
37 KB
37 KB PNG
>>19138087
I have to, some dread compulsion dictates I must, by duty.
The Getter Team was awoken suddenly by a call from Professor Saotome.

"Getter Team, report to the training room immediately!" said Saotome sternly.

"The training room?" asked Ryouma. "What could the Professor want?"

"Maybe we're practicing a new secret weapon!" said Musashi with a hint of excitement. Maybe it was for Getter 3!

"Hmph," said Hayato with his usual smirk. He did a Getter Backflip out of his bed and landed. "Well, shall we be off?"

Upon arriving at the training room, they were greeted with a unfamiliar site. Profesor Saotome, clad only in a pink robe and his clogs, sat in front of a tatami mat, along with Michiru.

"Professor, we're here," said Ryou.

"Good," set Saotome, rising from his seat. "We have a problem; Getter's synchronization ratio has been falling. You aren't combining well anymore!"

"But we're working just as hard we we always do Professor!" yelled Musashi. Saotome nodded.

"I know. This isn't your fault. Rather, it's the method of combination." The professor pointed to new Getter uniforms hang on the wall. "Put these on." The Getter team took the uniforms and were about to return to the room to change when Saotome stopped them. "No. Right here."

"Professor, I can't do that!" said a furiously blushing Musashi. "Not in front of...Michiru!"

"You call yourself a Getter pilot and you can't even strip in front of a woman!" sneered Hayato. Musashi's red face twisted into a scowl.
>>
>>19138105
You know what, I'm too much of a coward to finish this.
>>19137829
Here, take this. https://yuki.la/m/12567294#p12570388
>>
>>19135609
Honestly I’ve always like G was kind of underrated in some ways. Like, it has the Toei goofiness and other normal things but it did indeed do some neat things. I particularly liked that they gave Hayato a legitimately nice arc near the end and gave him a lot of agency as a character (and heck, giving Benkei at least an intro. He’s barely a character in the manga. I swear between this and Armageddon it feels like all other media gives poor Ben more love than the original manga did lol)
>>
>>19138157
I guess it's because they didn't have time to do the old and tired "pilots fight each other for some inane reason then make up by the end of the episode" episodes that the first TV series did. Benkei is also much more competent than Musashi.
>>
>>19135609
The only emotional moment I recall from the first anime was that episode where Gola (Gol's daughter) goes to fight the Getter. The way Gol screams her name when she dies... it took me by complete surprise.
>>
>>19138160

He is, but Musashi’s got the personality and spunk that still makes him my favorite getter fat guy lol (though Armageddon Benkei is awesome)

It was nice of G to let Benkei at least be a character though. Sometimes I felt like Ishikawa didn’t like the character.
>>
>>19138169

I still love that he sings the damn anime theme song in the manga
>>
>>19138169
I liked that they tried some experimental stuff in G, probably because the series wasn't as long as the first one. There's that episode where the three pilots go to an island and destroy it secret agent style (they even use wetsuits!), that episode that was almost completely told from Michiru's point of view (meaning, you're seeing everyone else through her eyes) or that episode where a spy enters the laboratory and Hayato discovers a clever trick he did with the cameras. The dialogue doesn't feel as disjointed as many anime of the time. IIRC, this is how it goes:
<Hayato opens door to security room (he was there a few minutes ago>
Guard: Are you still here?
Hayato: What do you mean, didn't you see me through the cameras?
<They have a look at the cameras>
Hayato: I was walking down that hall, you sure you didn't see me?
>>
>>19138181
I mean, the finale is Hayato being captured in the enemy base and staging his own escape while believed dead by the others with Michiru taking his place on Liger and being damn good at it
>>
>>19138463
Oh man Michiru being the Getter 2 pilot and honestly kind of looking like she's better at it than Hayato was like the cherry on top of the end of G.
>>
>>19138470
IIRC she ends up with the highest stats in Daikessen

and I'm honestly surprised not even XOmega ever made her piloting Liger

and they had Maria on Grendizer, which i don't even remember happening anywhere!
(fun fact: Koji actually pilots it briefly in Nagai's manga, but finds it hard to operate)
>>
>>19138463
>>19138470
I really want to see a Getter B-team with ???/Michiru/Benkei
>>
>>19139810
Tatsuhito/Michiru/Prof.Saotome
>>
>>19139810
best Team-B is Getter Robot(toy), Robo the Dogo and Musashi
>>
File: EnNpkRiUwAI7aUW.jpg (195 KB, 800x1222)
195 KB
195 KB JPG
>>19140524

Yes.

This is true power.
>>
>>19141194
More like Giver Robo
>>
>>19139829

LOL Nice
>>
>>19141194
the pinnacle of evolution
>>
So, how much destructive power does the Getter tea kettle have?
>>
>>19142532
Is green tea the official tea of getter?
>>
What's up with the sudden art style change in chapter 9 of the original manga? All i could find is that it changed from Go Nagai art's to Ishikawa's but was there any reason for the change?
>>
>>19142811
Go Nagai has no direct involvement in the Getter Robo manga. The chapters with a different artstyle were made in the mid to late 90s. They are all written and drawn by Ken Ishikawa.
>>
>>19142822
>>19142811
Basically sometime in the 80’s Ishikawa went through artistic puberty. Lost some of his kinda cute Nagai influenced stylistic traits. I miss the nice eyelashes on his older art.
Can anybody find me some 90’s Ishikawa that has visible eyelashes to make me feel better?
>>
File: file.png (26 KB, 194x310)
26 KB
26 KB PNG
>>19143011
>>
File: dinosaurs.png (837 KB, 1620x1300)
837 KB
837 KB PNG
>>19143016
I'll always prefer that cartoony style.

However, trading that for these >>19142532 badass spreads and mechanical detail was kind of a fair deal.
>>
File: file.png (288 KB, 928x680)
288 KB
288 KB PNG
>>19143026
I'm kinda surprised by the direction the art went
I mean i knew the art would eventually "mature" and i wanted it to, but i was kinda expecting it going torwards the likes of pic related being more prevalent
Oh well, i'm sure i'll get used to it
>>
File: blurry.jpg (204 KB, 900x444)
204 KB
204 KB JPG
>>19143036
You will have something else to look forward to, that's just as a cool but in a different way.

But yeah, I really liked the times in the original manga where the lines went all blurry, it looked cool as fuck
>>
>>19143011
He had three major phases imo. There was his 70s Getter/G era style. From the 80s to early 90s he developed an evolution of that style, as seen in Majuu Sense and Getter Go. Then he developed a radically different style in the late 90s, as seen in Shin Getter, which he used until his passing. I like all three styles, but I think his 80s style, which was adapted for Getter Armageddon, was his best.
>>
File: DevilBoy.png (2.29 MB, 800x1135)
2.29 MB
2.29 MB PNG
>>19143105
Speaking of the style evolution, Nagai had a similar evolution as Ken and while I love how Ken's style changed, I didn't like how Nagai's changed(This is mostly in relation to Devilman Lady).

I didn't really know what my problem was at first but I feel like its that the faces are just out of place, the art is highly detailed and heavily shaded a lot of the time and the faces matched that in some pages but I feel like most of the time the faces were still in his old style besides some thicker lines around the eyes.

After some looking around for any indication of his more recent style, I found that image he did as a collab for the newest Hellboy reboot and it doesn't have that problem, so after sitting here thinking "Wow there's something off about Lady's style" for like 20 minutes I came to the conclusion: "No shit retard he was in a transitional period"
>>
File: chrisdog.png (129 KB, 400x400)
129 KB
129 KB PNG
Where do I start with this series? Should I just start with the manga? Where do I go after that?
>>
>>19144649
bumping, anyone have a mega with all the anime/ovas?
>>
>>19144649
>>19134281
Read Manga then watch OVA
>>
>>19144679
Thanks anon.

>>19144661
Nyaa has some.
>>
>>19144562
Did Nagai really draw that? It looks nothing like his style
>>
>>19144905
I thought the same, it may just be someone that works for Dynamic, but all the articles I saw talking about it credited Nagai so I really don't know.
>>
File: Enf4uExUYAMlzDa.jpg (238 KB, 1200x1697)
238 KB
238 KB JPG
>>19144649
All of the manga was translated. Read the manga in release order, (original >G > Go > Shin > Arc) and then watch the OVAs (Each of them do their own thing so order ain't important)
>>
>>19145346
that's a really fat Getter
>>
>>19118727
The first two manga entries were made by both Ishikawa and Nagai.
>>
>>19142811
Those were added afterwards. Think of the Star Wars Special Editions
>>
>>19144562
Nagai just likes sticking to his guns. His character design influenced all of manga and anime even if it seems antiquated nowadays. He could alwats draw super detailer. Look at any spread in his 70s manga. Devilman Saga looks pretty much like Devilman Lady
>>
This is a comment on Getter Robo Go on Mangadex. Say something nice about it!
>>
I'm watching Armageddon right now. Why does Shin Getter job to everything? Getter 2 and 3 are the only ones putting in real work.
>>
>>19145847
Breaking news: stupid comment on mangadex
>>
>>19145599
fat getter is best getter
>>
>>19139829
>can get infected/possesed
>so does michiru, t but she an heros before it spreads
>manga saotome can last one or two combinations before massive hemorrhage
>armageddon saotome can tank it but he's possesed
i'm not liking the odds here
>>
>>19145599
Shin is alive enough that I would not be surprised if it is a pregnant Getter.
The pilots uncombining, to their surprise, into 4 Getter machines, one of them seemingly on autopilot but uncannily intelligent for an unmanned machine.
>>
File: arc.jpg (317 KB, 1484x1049)
317 KB
317 KB JPG
>“Getter Robot Saga” is the generic term for the Getter Robot series, which began with “Getter Robot”. The original “Getter Robot” was a milestone in the history of coalescing robots. After that, the spirit of “transformation” was inherited in many other works.
“Getter Robot” was followed by “Getter Robot G” (1975~), “Getter Robot Go” (1991~), “Shin Getter Robot” (1997~), and “Getter Robot Arc” started to be serialized in Futabasha’s “Super Robot Magazine”, an extra issue of Action Pizzazz, in 2001.
After that, Ken Ishikawa passed away suddenly. Both “Getter Robot Arc” and “Getter Robot Saga” became unfinished masterpieces.

>Finally, “Getter Robot Arc” is coming to life!

>The anime to be produced this time is a work that reflects the characteristics of the original work more strongly.
The teaser visual depicts the story’s main character, Takuma Nagare, the main Robot, Getter Arc, and Hayato Jin, the first pilot of Getter Robot, who is also deeply involved in the series.
In the first PV, the song ‘HEATS’ by Hironobu Kageyama, that is very popular in the OVA “Getter Robot - The Last Day”, is newly recorded in the new version ‘HEATS 2021’, and you can see the Getter Arc in action.

Wonder how this will feel, as a more Ishikawa-inspired OVA
>>
File: quality90shayato.jpg (77 KB, 300x567)
77 KB
77 KB JPG
>>19143026
All I want is eyelashes on my Getter boys and girls in close ups. Less cartoony is fine, but they have to have lashes, like here.
>>
There's something about dragon that I really like, more so over the other getter machines
>>
How do you realistically stop the Emperor from eating everything?
>>
>>19114458
>While I like it, Gurren-Lagann fails to show Spiral Energy as SCARY and potentially dangerous though.
They tried but failed due to Gainax reasons.
https://youtu.be/c1t6AfpKAXo
>>
>>19150188
Isn't Bug supposed to do that? Kamui saw the future that the Emperor caused and decided to place his trust in Hyakki's super weapon. I assumed that Bug was powerful enough to face Emperor head on or do some timeloop bullshit and destroy Shin before it evolved.
>>
>>19150194
To be fair this scene supposed to be the spiral nemesis was just a bullshit explanation they threw out after a fan speculated that, at the time the first episode aired the only purpose for this scene was to foreshadow the show getting to a galactic level
>>
File: sigma saken.jpg (238 KB, 1000x1428)
238 KB
238 KB JPG
>>19150199
Unrelated but I find it odd how bug looks 96% the same as sigma saken(a wind elemental mecha in flieder bug) as if it was just modified and never truly created by the hyakki empire. Perhaps, ken was attempting to establish a connected universe between getter/flieder and would've expanded upon the connected universe concept by incorporating more of his non-getter works if ark never got axed.
>>
>>19150230
He was not connecting the works and Arc was never axed
>>
>>19150199
Bug was supposed to destroy past Getter
>>
File: what.png (39 KB, 1303x244)
39 KB
39 KB PNG
>>19150509
>He was not connecting the works and Arc was never axed
I was just leaving food for thought on the conncected-universe possibility and try backing yourself up with a source on your other claim.
>>
>>19150580
Super Robot Magazine went out of publication. Don't try to comment via english wiki.
>>
File: huh.jpg (24 KB, 800x450)
24 KB
24 KB JPG
>>19150971
>Don't try to comment via english wiki.
>I'm using the translated japanese wiki which is infinitely more credible than any english source
>>
>>19150230
Old mangaka re-use characters as 'actors' all the time between their works (which I still think is a novel idea). Maybe this was just the same thing but with a mecha design.
>>
>>19151000
>which I still think is a novel idea
If you have a good design, you might as well use it, right?
>>
>>19150997
Don't waste my time with your retarded arguments, newfag
https://tfwiki.net/wiki/Super_Robot_Magazine
>>
>>19151022
And because I know you'll keep at it
https://ja.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E3%82%B9%E3%83%BC%E3%83%91%E3%83%BC%E3%83%AD%E3%83%9C%E3%83%83%E3%83%88%E3%83%9E%E3%82%AC%E3%82%B8%E3%83%B3
>>
File: lol.png (66 KB, 1284x467)
66 KB
66 KB PNG
>>19151028
You didn't change my arguement at all, ark still got canned in 2003
>>
File: poop.gif (8 KB, 500x180)
8 KB
8 KB GIF
>>19151022
>Shits on a guy for using an english wiki
>Other guy reveals he's not using the english wiki
>First guy proceeds to post an english wiki in retaliation
>>
>>19151037
You're pathetic.
>>
>>19151043
Stay mad
>>
>>19151043
He's double posting fuming kek. What is it with some people who post stupid things and then get super defensive and stubborn when someone corrects them?
>>
File: o0338052814538017577.jpg (105 KB, 338x528)
105 KB
105 KB JPG
>>19127322
Anybody know where the Getter Robo G vs Great Mazinger manga is? Apparently there's one that Ishikawa drew.

http://www.mazingerz.com/GETTER/GETTER.html

I've seen a couple pages from it on twitter, I wanna know where it's collected because they didn't look like direct 70's magazine scans.
>>
File: 176207177_158296470.jpg (125 KB, 322x432)
125 KB
125 KB JPG
Found out that Go was actually published for the first volume's worth by Viz back in 1993.

Turns out part of the Getter Robo manga *has* been published in English before
>>
>>19152682
It's fairly common knowledge around here. I own all six issues.
>>
File: daikessen-0000.jpg (216 KB, 847x1196)
216 KB
216 KB JPG
>>19151453
The Great vs. Getter G manga is the first story collected in pic-related anthology, confusingly titled Getter Robo Daikessen. No relation to the game, though, there's a different anthology for that. It also collects the Gosaku Ota Getter Robo and one of Ishikawa's "kid-friendly" Getter Robo versions. Raws should be pretty available.

Also, to clear a couple things up, Getter Arc definitely ended because Super Robot Magazine was cancelled, not getting axed on its own, or because Ishikawa died mid-serialization. He put out quite a few things after Getter Arc ended, including the Majuu Sensen sequel, and when he died it was mid-serialization of his Goemon manga, which is all collected in a single volume (there are raws out there for that, too.)
>>
>>19148054
>Getter Robot” was followed by “Getter Robot G” (1975~)
Not really, originally there was no Getter Robo G manga because its plot was done as part of the original Getter Robo manga and only started being considered a separate saga with the "Getter Robo Saga" manga edition released two decades after it.
>>
>>19154054
That's mostly correct, but collected versions did make the G split long before Saga was compiled by Action comics
>>
File: ゲッターロボ.png (2.64 MB, 2000x1546)
2.64 MB
2.64 MB PNG
That new Iron Saga crossover produced some cool looking wallpaper material!
>>
File: ゲッターロボG.png (2.58 MB, 2000x1546)
2.58 MB
2.58 MB PNG
>>19154320
>>
File: ブラックゲッター.png (2.78 MB, 2000x1546)
2.78 MB
2.78 MB PNG
>>19156482
>>
File: 真ゲッターロボ.png (2.64 MB, 2000x1546)
2.64 MB
2.64 MB PNG
>>19156484
>>
>>19156480
Seriously, Iron Saga is ridiculous. its a random ass mobile game that's got music by Sawano, decent gameplay, a bunch of good mecha designs, and just need a gundam crossover to get the full big 3.

Also I really like the slight re-designs for the getters. I've always been a fan of "slap more panel lines on it."
>>
>>19156749
>I've always been a fan of "slap more panel lines on it."
You're my polar opposite then, since I absolutely hate them
>>
>>19156488
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hGhfcdNEScY&t=11
I really like the animation this game did for the OPEN GET
>>19156749
It's a game made by the Chinese and funded by the Chinese, they seem to have lots of money. The mobile game market currently is being dominated by more and more Chinese owned games
>>
>>19154320
>but collected versions did make the G split long before Saga was compiled by Action comics
Sorry, i didn't know that.
>>
What visual elements make a super robot recognizable as a Getter to you?
>>
>>19159185
Eyes. Getter Go only shares eyes with OG Getter.
>>
File: pYbJ7ao.gif (1.02 MB, 450x253)
1.02 MB
1.02 MB GIF
>>19159185
I like mecha with demonic design elements, the DNA left by Maou Dante. I like the Getters' crimson red, the huge red horns and the weapons they use like tomahawks and scythes. Getter Arc would be a perfect design to me if he had Shin's bat like wings.
>>
>>19159185
All the getters(besides Go, which makes sense since it was really only a getter in name since it was trying to get around the dangers presented by Shin) share similar head shapes. They've got at least two big horns(Dragon's mustache would be his), then two smaller spikes as ears. Their eyes too. Besides OG and Dragon they've all got sharp pupils(Even Go has them occasionally if I remember right)
The glowing green panels also make them recognizable.
>>
>>19159185
head shape, eyes, stacking combination, green on red color

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.