[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/lit/ - Literature

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

>Soccer is popular because stupidity is popular.
Why
>Soccer is aesthetically ugly. Eleven players against eleven others running after a ball are not especially beautiful
>Football itself doesn't interest anyone. People never say 'what a nice afternoon I had, what a nice game I saw, of course my team lost'. They don't say it because the only thing that matters is the final result. No enjoy the game
I assumed that someone like Borges would be capable of appreciating the beauty of the sport but he just sounds like the typical reddit bugman who works in tech. What gives?
>>
>>21298579
Soccer is not really beautiful though I agree. Tennis is beautiful imo. Basketball and hockey are mid tier. American football is just terrible
>>
>>21298579
Why should he like it? Why aren't people allowed to dislike popular things without fanatics seething? And he's right. Football games are not rewatchable, what matters is the result. They cannot be enjoyed like a book or a film. They are disposable entertainment, closer to condoms or maxi pads than to art.
>>
File: finzi-contini.jpg (311 KB, 800x358)
311 KB
311 KB JPG
>>21298588
FPBP, I agree. What do you think of baseball?
>>
you'd think that he of all people would cream himself over the 11 vs 11 thing alone
and then it's a sport where you're only allowed to touch the ball with your feet, except for the 2 guys that have hand privilege
and some fans beat each other to shit because their team lost against a team that lives two blocks down the road
and the people that make it big get paid 10s of millions of euros

the entire concept sounds like a Borges fever dream
>>
>>21298598
super boring to watch, quite fun to play
>>
>>21298579
You have to remember that he was half blind so he probably didn't even know what the fuck was going on during the game. Sounds like cope.
>>
>>21298579
Borges was just a jordan peterson style radical individualist. If you asked the man his personal opinion and he was honest it would be something like
>my masters don't like when people work together.
Sorry, not sorry.
>>
>>21298614
He wasn't blind until the mid 50s. It's not "cope", just an opinion.
>>
>>21298638
History proved him right. Argentina is a shit hole because of wannabe communism.
>>
>>21298588
>Tennis is beautiful imo.
Yes. Only sport I watch besides martial arts
>>
>>21298579
What's weird is you thinking he'd be reasonable or intelligent simply because you enjoyed his books. He's still a retard, just good at writing.
>>
>>21298912
>if you don't enjoy goysports you're not intelligent, in fact, you are a retard
???
>>
>>21298579
The sentimental attachment sports fans have to their game makes no sense.
>>
>>21298588
>>21298592
>>21298606
>>21298639
>>21298918
>>
File: 1654749491405.webm (2.43 MB, 450x800)
2.43 MB
2.43 MB WEBM
>>21298918
Who are you quoting? He's retarded for saying garbage like
>They don't say it because the only thing that matters is the final result. No one enjoys the game.
It's blatantly false and it only makes him come off as a bitter loner who can't understand that people enjoy things he doesn't. It honestly doesn't sound too different from what you'd hear a teenage boy say to make himself feel better about his lack of friends.
>>
>>21298947
He's kind of right. If your team plays like shit it's more likely to lose and how can you enjoy a game where your team plays like shit and loses unless you're a masochist?
>>
>>21298588
>Tennis is beautiful imo
You have no taste. Fútbol & Martial Arts are the most beautiful sports. Beyond Dance, there are no stronger body-expressive arts than Football and Martial Arts (in general).
>>
>>21299000
and Borges didn't like football because he had no legs nor energy to play; same about his fear of women (I'm from Argentina and love Borges btw).
>>
>>21299006
>and Borges didn't like football because he had no legs nor energy to play
Most people who watch this sport are like this. Borges didn't like it because of personal taste. Also, this has absolutely nothing to do with literature.
>>
>>21298579
Borges was the only smart Argentine who ever existed. This only convinces me further.
>>
>>21298579
>myopic nerd journalist denigrating physique
It's not hard
>>
File: pasolini.jpg (222 KB, 1024x733)
222 KB
222 KB JPG
>>21298579
Because he was a 19th century Englishman who didn't like sports.
Also, during the time he worked at the library all of his colleagues would spend the whole afternoon talking about soccer, and he'd have to listen while trying to read books in peace.
Anyway, football is /lit/.
Pasolini, Camus, Peter Handke, Werner Herzog, Nabokov, etc. all loved it.
Nabokov was a goalkeeper and mentions Yashin in Pale Fire.

>Sports enthusiast Nabokov, who, at times, earnt his living as a tennis and boxing coach, wrote on his affinity towards sports and more precisely goalkeeping in his autobiographical work, "Speak, Memory", where he, while describing his love for goal-keeping, revealed,“I was crazy about goalkeeping."
>In Russia and the Latin countries, that gallant art had been always surrounded with a halo of singular glamour. Aloof, solitary, impassive, the crack goalie is followed in the streets by entranced small boys. He vies with the matador and the flying ace as an object of thrilled adulation. His sweater, his peaked cap, his kneeguards, the gloves protruding from the hip pocket of his shorts, set him apart from the rest of the team.”
>“He is the lone eagle, the man of mystery, the last defender. Photographers, reverently bending one knee, snap him in the act of making a spectacular dive across the goal mouth to deflect with his fingertips a low, lightning-like shot, and the stadium roars in approval as he remains for a moment or two lying full length where he fell, his goal still intact,” the author added.
>>
>Anthony Burgess (1917-1993), author of A Clockwork Orange, was a football fan and once wrote: 'Five days shalt thou labour, as the Bible says. The seventh day is the Lord thy God’s. The sixth day is for football.' Burgess was still writing about football in his seventies, including a piece on the Hillsborough tragedy.
>>
>>21298579
It doesn't matter. This is just the typical retardation of a certain intellectual type. They become enamored with their own intellects, convinced of their own wisdom, and start spouting off opinions on subjects unrelated to their own expertise as though anyone should care.

It's mere arrogance. Plain and simple.
>>
>>21299000
>You have no taste.
He has good taste, actually. Only plebs like soccer over tennis.
>>
>>21298579
>What gives?
The sentimental attachment sports fans have to their game makes no sense.
>>
>>21298579
>>Soccer is aesthetically ugly. Eleven players against eleven others running after a ball are not especially beautiful
That is sound just eccentric and homosexual.

>the only thing that matters is the final result. No enjoy the game
Have you noticed that the only ones "watching" soccer are low-IQ persons and brownies?

>>21298588
>Soccer is not really beautiful
>Tennis is beautiful
I agree with both your statements.
>>
>>21298953
Because a team doesn't have to play like shit in order to not win? In fact neither side has to play "well or beautifully" in order to win. Just the other day Morocco played Croatia and it was an open high-energy game but neither side scored a goal and yet it was more interesting than the trashing Spain gave Costa Rica. Some games are extremely tactical because both sides are well disciplined and tactically schooled so it might take time but for those that look beyond the mere entertainment of football, it is a sport after all, a game like that can be pleasing.

This literally boils down to sit the fuck down and read the book, nigger. Attention span doesn't seem to be a thing anymore and while I'm not OP I can absolutely see his point; someone as intelligent as Borges should never be saying arrogant absolute statements like "doesn't interest anyone." and or "people never say".
>>
>>21298579
As far as I know in USA soccer fans are exactly reddit bugman as to defirantiate themselfs from american fans of the more american sports..
>>
if you don't like sports you're a little neurotic woody allen protagonist DYEL bugmanchild that gets zero bitches
>>
>>21299101
>Because he was a 19th century Englishman who didn't like sports.
>Borges
>19th century Englishman
Please leave and never come back you dumb illiterate faggot.
>>
File: 1644619455227.png (196 KB, 1859x690)
196 KB
196 KB PNG
>>21298579
Nothing is more grotesquely degenerate and modern than sports. Fucking disgusting subhumans. Read pic related to open up your monkey brains, fags.

Once again Junger was right.
>>
>>21299588
>physically inept weaklings trying to mentally flex their way out of athleticism
You're a fucking disgrace.
>>
>>21299588
based
>>21299619
cringe
>>
>>21299619
Go fuck yourself urbanite bugman
>>
>>21299582
He means he liked to larp as a 19th century Englishman, anon.
>>
>>21298579
I fucking love borges so much it's unreal. He's literally me. Based af.

This post is just the icing on the cake. Where is it from? I need this quote in my collection.
>>
File: FiBs4sZX0AgOMIY.jpg (290 KB, 720x900)
290 KB
290 KB JPG
>>21298614
>>21298638
>>21298614
>>21298912
>>21298947
>>21299131
>>21299567
Let's face it - soccer is 22 sweaty men chasing a ball which is gay and childish. The only sport which is gayer is wrestling.

There is a reason why there isn't a library containing a book about every soccer match - no one would read it because it would be fucking boring - and soccer fans are bugmen who don't read.

When there is a book about soccer it's about the people playing and their story and feelings but the game itself is never the center of the story.

And yes it is only about the result and not the game; that's why fans are leaving the stadium when their team isn't winning.

Pic related is qatar fans leaving early because their team isn't winning this worldcup.

Playing soccer is like fucking your wife and watching soccer is like watching your wife getting fucked. It's for cucks.
>>
>>21299708
>This post is just the icing on the cake. Where is it from? I need this quote in my collection.
From his book.
>>
>>21299763
Which book?
>>
>>21298579
I hate football like you wouldn't believe, it's the bane of my country argentina
>>
>>21298579
because he was a faggot
>>
He’s right, football sucks. Now F1, that’s a sport. You’re risking it all for fame and fortune. Same for combat sports. You lose a football match, so what? Fuck up in MMA, get brain damage or a bone broken. Fuck up in F1, roll your car and get maimed or just die.
>>
>>21299218
>good taste = being a fag
And it's called football, not soccer.
>>
File: 1663890288778.png (166 KB, 625x605)
166 KB
166 KB PNG
>>21298579
>>
>>21298592
He doesn't have to like it, but tge reasons he's giving are retarded.
>Football games are not rewatchable, what matters is the result.
Absolutely wrong.
>>
File: 92439239.png (96 KB, 1634x530)
96 KB
96 KB PNG
>>21300522
Good taste is when your informed preferences deviates from that of the plebs.
>>
>>21300805
Why the gratuitous slur?
>>
>>21300784
>corn syrup
At last! The real culprit! Tired of hearing about $öy this and søy that
>>
>>21300823
I dont like Borges. Library of Babel is a cool story, everything else he wrote is dogshit.
>>
>>21300844
But there are better things he wrote than Library of Babel.
>>
>>21299582
You fucking imbecile.
>>
>>21298579
The most beautiful sports are lawn tennis, test cricket, olympic style judo, and golf.
>>
>>21300850
like?
>>
>>21298588
Seems reasonable enough.
>>
>>21301160
Those sorts are pretentious.
>>
What a random ass question
>>
>>21298579
'cause he could't watch it
>>
>>21299708
>I fucking love borges so much it's unreal. He's literally me. Based af.
Same
>>
>>21298579
Borges did not live to see Barcelona 2008-12 play, so I understand his dislike of the sport.
>>
>>21304392
not really
>>
>>21299588
Dyel, faggot? This entire thread is dyel cope.
>>
File: z4z49v01ann21.jpg (147 KB, 1619x1078)
147 KB
147 KB JPG
>>21299624
>>21299625
Dyel fags. Go lift weights instead of coping about having disgusting bodies.
>>
>>21305472
larp harder
>>
>>21298579
>the beauty of the sport

I fail to see any beauty in the sport either. One-v-One are always more noble and interesting to watch. They tend to be more aesthetic in the way the game plays out and develops. The best measure of a sport is what sort of fans it attracts - football hooligans, racist chants, pork bellied white collar pub goers don't paint a pretty picture.
>>
>>21299567
>if you don't like sports

Soccer/football is over-rated among all the sports and does not deserve its status as 'the beautiful game' or whatever else it gets affectionately called. Boxing, tennis, olympics etc. are far more interesting.
>>
>>21299854

The one he wrote.
>>
>>21300818
>USA dictionary.
Lmao. You'd be better quotting Urban Dictionary too, american pig.
>>
>>21298579
Damn, your aren't very intelligent are you?
>>
Soccer/football fans are constantly literally mass murdering each other like complete retards. What's up with that?
>>
>>21298579
based
>>
>>21305962
>le sportsball bad! I am intelligent!
Try again kid.
>>
>>21298579
Don't care about soccer at all but thanks you just showed me this guy is braindead and now I won't bother to read him
>>
>>21306095
Not an argument
>>
he was not into semen slurping
>>
>>21306233
Your loss, to be honest.
>>
>>21298579
Yeah he was wrong. But the most patrician sports are the simplest and most primal ones, meaning fighting and any kind of foot race. Both require almost no gear and barely any cost, both have minimal rules that are known almost instinctually, and both require a great deal of pain tolerance and courage. Too many rules in a sport make it cringe and artificial. Fighting and running recreate the primal experiences of battle and the hunt.
>>
>>21306941
what's patrician about that? it's more like something the plebs enjoy.
>>
>>21298588
>Soccer is not really beautiful though I agree. Tennis is beautiful imo
Amen brother, couldn't agree more. It really makes me wonder now. What makes a sport aesthetic? I personally enjoy fencing a lot, even though many find it distasteful for its distancing from its roots.
>>
>>21298579
its all gay and if you cant tell then it is you that is the bugman
>>
>>21299588
Absolutely amazing writeup, complete deconstruction of sport
>>
>>21305728
>boxing
Two nigs lob at each other for 20 minutes
>tennis
Two lanklets plonk a ball and grunt like gays for aobut 10 hours
>olympics
Boy am I excited to know which faggot can jump slightly higher than the rest this time!
>>
>>21298579
He doesnt understand soccer. Its vitality, the active aspect of life, not aesthetical passive observation. Heidegger mentions this attitude. He speaks of the big city guys to come to the country side to enjoy nature. Its a passive observation. They enjoy the beauty, have a talk with the local peasants and feel quite cultured in doing so. Heidegger says "when i sit in the hut with an old peasant, smoking a pipe, we sit in silence". They dont need to chit chat. He explains how for the peasants natur is a vital force, a hardship, cruel, how they are thrown in nature in the cold, in rain, in snow and the hot summer heat, doing hard labour. They are actively within nature. Well ofc soccer is also just competition. Not just the vital aspect of life. Also Heidegger, despite having a point, also has nonsense to his point as well. My point is rather than seeing soccer from an merely aesthetical pov you should look at soccer for what it is. There is still plenty room from critique of soccer - the competitive nature and the fan club culture (which may also have some positive aspects idk), the viewing and the playing and so forth. There is also the aspect of play. I think Huinziga sees culture as a form of play (remember the knights in medival age and their form of play). And the play has positive points (i think Schiller wrote on that too and Fink as well from a phenomenological pov - just look up homo ludens). If i remember correctly Huinziga says the highly professional character of sports takes away the playful aspect or something like that.
>>
Soccer is popular because its cheap
All you need is a ball and some open space. No other sport is so accomodating when it comes to price of admission.
Basketball - need at least one hoop and concrete surface
Handegg - need 500$ full plate armor, specifically painted field, 10 umpires etc
Hockey - need ice rink, 1000$ worth of gear, good dentistry plan
Tennis/volleyball - net, specific surface (beach volleyball is cool though)
Golf - sir you need to be Forbes 500 and a pedophile to enjoy this one
Combat sports - cheap but is CTE worth it?

Soccer is vitrually the only sport anyone on the planet can enjoy
>>
>>21298579
I find this a bit sad, because hatred of soccer (not indifference) is the ultimate sign of upper midwitdom.
>>
>>21298592
>he finds no beauty in the ephemeral
Sad!
>>
>>21307644
No you
>>
>>21307673
>soccer
22 retards chasing a ball for an hour and a half.
>>
File: 744.jpg (73 KB, 600x896)
73 KB
73 KB JPG
>>21307881
He understands alright.
>>
There is no real technique to soccer. The footwork is just clumsy and awkward, the rules and roles of the players basic and uniform; the whole charade is broken by the obvious necessity of the goalie to play an entirely different game.
He's right that smoothbrains only like the game because they can transfer the feeling of team success to themselves.
>>
>>21307908
Handegg doesn't *require* any of that crap
>>
>>21298579

It's a uniquely American thing to be intelligent and of an educated social class while still watching sportsball. It's a hobby for children and stupid people. There's normally social pressure against vulgar, puerile shit like that. And the world is rapidly becoming more American ergo more fucking retarded
>>
>>21309231
Its uniquely American to be educated and so wrapped up in passively watching team sport. In other Western countries the educated young men participate in sport and do not otherwise much care beyond their collegiate years. The transference of identity to the team is the nationalist tribal tendency exploding outwards into a conflation of capitalist consumerism; these men would otherwise be rallying at the courthouse steps.
>>
File: albert-camus-13[1].jpg (74 KB, 900x750)
74 KB
74 KB JPG
>After many years in which the world has afforded me many experiences, what I know most surely in the long run about morality and obligations, I owe to football
Here's based Camus on football. It all comes down to physiognomy. Borges was a blind old man with a weak and flabby body so he was physically unable or unwilling to perceive the beauty of sport. Camus on the other hand was fit and healthy and so he learned a great deal from his time as a goal keeper.
>>
>>21298592
>maxi pads
>disposable entertainment
what?
>>
>>21309746
>age is the same as physiognomy
Borges was a young man once, too. He just didn't give a shit about plebeian past times.
>Camus on the other hand was fit and healthy and so he learned a great deal from his time as a goal keeper.
The best goalie when I was a child was the fat kid. It's not a position that requires that much.
>>
>>21305941
Soccer isn't even an American term. It's a British term used to shorten Association Football before it was consolidated into Football in Europe
Hell, Rugby used to be called a Football game.
>>
>>21307908
You still need the net for soccer lest goal kicks that go too high or hit a controversial part of the goal are disputed
>>
File: football.jpg (9 KB, 300x168)
9 KB
9 KB JPG
>>21310215
>>
>>21310738
That’s fine for friendly games but not if you’re competing professionally
>>
>>21298638
>a jordan peterson style radical individualist
Nah the only slight similarity is in their common interest in mythology. I don't see Peterson as a radical individualist, more of a half-baked fusion of Jung, neuroscience, & Christianity.
Borges is more cosmopolitan and liberal than Peterson.
If I had to peg him philosophically, Borges seems like a skeptic, often verging on solipsism, attracted to religious mythologies, but unable to commit himself to any one dogma.
>>
>>21310171
The hell is rugby.
>>
>>21307908
based
>>
>>21298579
>Why
Because sports tend to reduce people to their basest, most tribal impulses. An independent thinker looks only with disgust at hordes of people willingly subsuming their individualism under membership in the Ooga Booga tribes. Not all sports have this effect on Average Man, but soccer does. It's a lightning rod for idiots.
>>
File: broexplaining.jpg (222 KB, 800x450)
222 KB
222 KB JPG
>>21298588
Baseball is the most beautiful sport. There is so many hidden layers to it. There is always something happening, if you know the game. And I say all this as a aussie that didn't grow up on the game.
>>
>>21298579
Absolute legend.
>>
I think the quote was to build more techno stuff than redo European/Roman manpower athleticism which the Mayas already had? How about a passage from the underwater story or the Japanese garden one? Making everything average out to a USA city is kind of uncreative or unoriginal. Hm not every German country was maybe made out to be the same
>>
>>21298588
>Soccer bad, tennis good, basketball & hockey middling, American football bad

This is reasonable, except for overrating basketball. (I would call it "football" rather than "soccer" but let's set that issue aside for now.)

What makes a sport beautiful? Some suggestions:

— It should develop ALL the body, rather than just one or more parts of it.

Football (soccer) is imperfect because it over-emphasizes the lower body. If some latter-day Frankenstein were to create the perfect footballer in a laboratory, the result would be like a Tyrannosaurus Rex — huge powerful legs and tiny vestigial arms. (That's probably what we'll have in another fifty years, thanks to genetic engineering.)

Basketball is even uglier than football, for the same basic reason. In basketball, being freakishly tall is a big advantage. To be the best at basketball you have to be too tall for anything else.

This issue also downgrades sports with marked chirality. Most would agree symmetry is aesthetically preferable; an athlete should be reasonably ambidextrous. A sport which uses the right arm exclusively can't be ideal. (You end up looking like that meme of the coomer, haha.) That's a bit of a strike against tennis.

— It should promote overall fitness and health.

The sport should require a good balance between explosive, short-term strength & long-term endurance. Weightlifting goes too far in one direction; marathon running too far in the other.

Also it should not (barring rare accidents) damage the participants. This is the big problem with martial arts, which otherwise seem just about ideal. (It's also why I don't like ballet — it damages the dancers.)

— If a team sport, it should not depend disproportionately on a few individuals.

This is difficult to organize because a star player can always make a big difference. But something like doubles tennis, where both team members are in action all the time, is clearly superior to e.g. cricket, where you might have just one monster bowler or batsman.

— It should end on a climax.

Tennis always ends with someone winning a match-point. A race ends with someone crossing the finishing-line. Those are climaxes. Football just ends when the time runs out; nothing might be happening. Clearly inferior. Basically, any sport that depends on a fixed time is inferior.

VERDICT:

No idea. I watch gymnastics and figure-skating in the Olympics. I prefer tennis to football, mainly because tennis players and tennis fans seem to be a bit more civilized than football players and football fans.
>>
He wrote some nice things but sometimes went full midwit.

He said God existed with absolute certainty. But there is not even the slightest proof God exists. As an atheist I cant help but cringe
>>
>>21312562
in latin-america soccer in particular has been used as a political tool, namely in the way of keeping the masses distracted from important stuff. that might've prompted borges' comments on it as well
>>
>>21298579
nigga was blind why would he enjoy it
>>
>>21298579
hockey is kino until gary ruined it

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.