[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/lit/ - Literature

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: quikk.jpg (45 KB, 437x612)
45 KB
45 KB JPG
Has anyone played with A.I. writing?

I feel like it is going to very easily replace writing, and I am a writer. The A.I. immediately gave me creative prompts that I had not even thought of writing.

Extremely demoralizing. I will probably stop writing starting tomorrow. There is simply no way these creative fields like art/music/writing are going to survive this A.I. rollout.

Already when I see a piece of art, I do a double check to make sure it wasn't A.I... and even then, I think "well A.I. could have made this". It's so fucking over.
>>
File: ted-kaczynski.jpg (51 KB, 633x418)
51 KB
51 KB JPG
>It's so fucking over.

It's never over.
>>
>>21295951
It is probably wise you are giving up writing, there is little chance you would write anything of worth given you inability to see how shit AI is at writing.
>>
>>21295958
extreme cope
>>21295966
moderate cope

if you haven't played with A.I. art and A.I. prompt writers, and seen what they're doing in 2022, and then imagine what they will be doing in 2030....

It's beyond fuckin over. Why do you think the elites have been deconstructing art/literature/music for nearly 50 years? They knew this was coming and wanted to make sure humans were at their lowest for when it did.
>>
>>21295976
They might be able to write a genre novel by 2030, but I doubt it. Eitherway, I can get at least two more novels and some short stories published in that time and AI writing halfway decent genre fiction is not really a threat to me. Chances are I can keep getting published until I die, but that might be abit of a cheat since I am an old fag alcoholic, like alcoholic proper, not the sort who fucks up their life with their drinking but the sort who has not been drunk in years because of the quantity they drink. At best I got 30 years, but probably more like 20 at best, unless AI figures out how to heal my liver.

Either way, you are just looking for reasons to quit before you even tried, you deserve to be replaced by AI.
>>
>>21295958
>I have already emphasized that what could lead to a revolution would not be the worsening of living conditions, but a psychological situation conducive to revolution. And one of the indispensable psychological preconditions for revolution is that people should have hope. If there’s no hope, there will be no revolution. A serious problem is the fact that many of the most intelligent people have already lost hope.
>>
It's not even close. AI doesn't know what the fuck it's talking about. It's basically a fancier algorithm like the autosuggest when you type on your phone but more advanced. It can only associate words by the frequency with which they appear next to each other, it has nothing like a mind or ideas.
>>
>>21295951
One of the reasons I read a book is because it was written by another human. It’s the only medium where you get to be inside someone’s head who lived over a century ago. I don’t care how good AI writing and AI art is, it is soulless.
>>
>>21295951
Right now AI writing is junk. I messed around with it. Can it write like Ready Player One and J K Rowling? Yes. Can it write like Poe? No. It often forgets what it previously wrote and is incredibly repetitive. The average normie would probably be impressed, through.

The publishing industry is already dead. I look forward to the day when AI can bury it.
>>
Creating a simple story is one thing but creating a whole novel is on a completely different level and probably among the last things AIs can even begin to tackle. It's not very plausible for an AI to craft a quality novel that contains all sorts of stylistic techniques and non-trivial chronology. It's precisely the sort of abstract stuff where computers are, unlike humans, extremely bad at.
>>
>>21295951
I utilise AI in my writing. It's great for padding.
>>
>>21295951
AI will never be able to write an undressing scene without being completely retarded
not even palm or gpt-4 mark my words
>>
>>21296183
You sir, are a fraud and a coward.
>>
>>21296210
I was all that before I even starded writing.
>>
>>21295951
can a AI write? maybe in the future. will that replace writting? AI can paint, somehow all painters in the world didn't drop dead. people who like to do art tend to do art even if somebody (or something) is better then them at it.
>>
>AI art can only generate basic, modern Twitter fanart and landscapes, nothing that could have soul in it, but can generate enough as to put lazy artists out of business.
>Therefore...
>>
Milestones AI has yet to accomplish:
>write something 500 words long that isn't repetitive and has a cohesive ending
>remember who the characters are in the story
>write a dialog that makes sense
>write something with a beginning, middle, and end
>write an entire short story with a coherent plot
>write a short story with a plot and a coherent twist
>mimic an author like Edgar Allen Poe
>write an argumentative essay with citations and supporting examples
>write a mystery novel that includes foreshadowing and clues for the reader to pick up on
>write a novel with themes and symbolism
>write something that can't be translated into another language because it contains so many literary devices and references that they would all get lost in the translation
>>
>>21296028
>It's basically a fancier algorithm like the autosuggest when you type on your phone but more advanced.
Why is every conversation about AI full of the dumbest fucking analogies you've ever read
>>
>>21295951
Stop making these retarded threads
>>
>>21296089
This
As long as there are true lit enjoyer there will always be a preference to human made writing over AI
>>
>>21296618
>>mimic an author like Edgar Allen Poe
idk what this does on your list when mimicking writing styles is the one thing that AI is actually pretty good at, of course it suffers from all the issues with logic and coherency, but it can nail vocabulary and sentence structure with no issues, especially if it's finetuned
>>
I can see AI being able to write good prose but being able to form the larger picture? If anything it will be used as a tool by writers to help assist rather than just telling it to generate an entire book
>>
>>21296539
>AI art can only generate basic, modern Twitter fanart and landscapes, nothing that could have soul in it
You can literally generate anything you want, its the people who keep generating the same waifu shit
>>
>>21295951
You still think writing is a process where you turn inputs into convoluted outputs with the ability to convey information, involve tons of literary "devices" and generate endless text from a thinking-only process. Writing will never be performed by machines, but what you do can already be accomplished by the merest computation.
>>
What's scarier is the adoption of "writers" willing to use AI writing to generate ideas, names, structure, etc. Tons of redditors and on /lit/ have asked for AI help in their stories the minute they have writer's block. We're completely devoid of any creativity.
>>
>>21297209
Any those who use AI will never write anything worth reading.
>>
>>21295951
AI writing will always need human editing because it lacks empathy.
>>
>>21296618
will prob do this in like 7 years desu
>>
>>21295951
Never gonna happen. Learn evolutionary psych, more specifically mimesis (mirror neurons)
Humans are fundamental. You have a responsibility because other people learn from your behavior, also on that note protect yourself from malicious people
>>
ITT: Human cope
>>
>>21298979
"Cope" is not real
>>
>>21298991
Incorrect, see this thread
>>
>>21295951
>Has anyone played with A.I. writing?
No, I have better things to do with my life.
>>
>>21299008
Prove me wrong. Its a denial of life.
>>
File: 20220825_174538.0.jpg (157 KB, 1200x800)
157 KB
157 KB JPG
>>21295951
I haven't touched it and it's certainly not going to make me give up on writing, though if this A.I winning an art contest is anything to go by, it is something to keep an eye on in the coming years.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/09/02/technology/ai-artificial-intelligence-artists.html
>>
File: 1664917186274028.jpg (149 KB, 694x1006)
149 KB
149 KB JPG
>>21295951
>Has anyone played with A.I. writing?
Yes, and I wasn't impressed by it. It has difficulty staying coherent for more than three straight paragraphs.

The problem that text has relative to visual art is that you can verify the quality of a generated image almost instantly, but for a human to verify the quality of a written text takes a lot of time. I think it will be used by writers to generate text which they then edit, but I wouldn't read a novel entirely written by AI any time soon.
>>
ai doesn't have a long enough memory yet, let alone cohesive narrative structure. i've messed with gpt-3 da vinci, t5 flan, gpt neox, etc, and being all transformers, they lack continuity. characterai is farcical, and i can't believe people relate to them so strongly, it reveals more about humanity than one might expect.
the problem here is similar to the problem with making videos, but compounded by the fact that the context of a story is even *more* intrinsic. overall, it's certainly possible that a transformer achieves a few lines that contain a nuance that gives them beauty, but a full tale is well beyond their reach, and likely shall be for far longer than mere static images or driving algorithms.

in my experience, (being quite close socially with several open source research groups involved with machine learning) i have found one of the more damning problems that will inhibit progress more even than the technology itself. none of these people read, definitely not literature. at best they enjoy science fiction, or non-fiction diatribes about the ethics of AI alignment (all of which are miserably writren), or have simply delved into code and have modeled their cognitive syntax to that, rather than what they inevitably call "natural language". given how impressed these folks are with a few sentences, they do not have the sort of rigor a given literature buff would have. they do not know how to gauge, or classify quality poetry or literature because they simply don't know what it is.
Harold Bloom discussed this over 20 years ago and his analysis was strikingly prophetic.
I have tried my best to guide whoever is involved with these projects toward a heightened sense of literature, but it is akin to pissing in the wind.
>>
>me trying to figure out how many of you are A.Is attempting to lull us into a false sense of security
>>
imagine giving an AI the ability to reference TVtrops. Thankfully it's years away and current ai story generation is incoherent garbage. AI art still struggles to do hands properly
>>
>>21300393
Lack of taste seems to be the case for all AI-related art. Just look at the picture in
>>21299981
It looks good, and I'm not saying that I could do better, but it looks like concept art for a generic Korean MMO. There are hundreds of artists on twitter who churn out stuff like that.
>>
Where/how can I play with one?
>>
>>21301660
no question there is an overall lack of aesthetic vision. i am often frustrated by the inadequacy of their desires, but there are rare moments when one is stricken with the beauty of a scene depicted by these machines. i have no doubt that literary models will someday exist that can twist and turn the word into something well beyond our wildest dreams ( i even have a pet theory that there will emerge an optimized language, i can yammer on about that awhile if anyone's genuinely interested) but i have very little doubt that it will take quite a bit longer than the visual arts overall. certainly not impossible, just far less easy to satisfy those qualities.
>>
The problem with A.I. writing (and pictures) is that it's all very mathematical. An A.I. cannot create truthfully, because everything has to pop out of processes that at their deepest roots are fundamentally pure mathematics. At most, A.I. will produce something akin to the writing machines referenced in 1984; a machine which produces meaningless books for consumption by the lowest strata of society.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.