[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/lit/ - Literature

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: self-discipline-graph.jpg (40 KB, 1200x1200)
40 KB
40 KB JPG
How do I build self discipline and mindfulness (i.e. act with purpose instead of drifting off with my thoughts)?
I've come to believe that power over oneself is the highest good.
Please rec me books to help me. The more unusual the better.

Also self help lit general I guess.
>>
why do you need somebody else to tell you how to understand your own mind?
>>
>>21289424
>The more unusual the better.

Reality by Peter Kingsley.

Also, Journey to Ixtlan by Castaneda. Be careful with this book though. There's a lot of shit in it that would potentially send you insane if you believed it all. The important part is, for me, the explanation of the 'warrior mindset', which is just an allegory he uses to get you to tap into the present moment as though your life depends on it (which it does, because that is the only real life there is).
>>
>>21289437
>Reality by Peter Kingsley
Sounds very interesting. Is it schizo magic shit or just power of mind stuff?
>>
>>21289456
More the latter, but you will be surprised at a number of points. Magic is involved, as Parmenides and Empedocles are revealed not as philosophers or logicians, but as magicians whose esoteric teachings were corrupted and made meaningless by Plato. Arriving at, and staying in the present moment, which is essentially what the book leads to, is a radical feeling when actually attained. You will discover a number of concepts here that will give you the perspective with which to ride the present moment and to relate to all things, including your own thoughts, as divine beings and gifts. This is an experience you can be led to, but of course you must make the leap into that existence yourself. But this book helped point the way for me.
>>
why do you need somebody else to tell you how to understand your own mind?
>>
>>21289490
To improve my selfdiscipline
>>
>>21289490
>>21289428
sad forced meme
>>
Eckhart Tolle. Focus on the present moment. Don't dismiss it. If you felt it you could never dismiss it.
>>
>>21289424
https://library.dhammasukha.org/uploads/1/2/8/6/12865490/the_path_to_nibbana__d_johnson_f18.pdf
>>
>>21289424
lift
>>21289437
>Journey to Ixtlan by Castaneda
good one
>>
>>21291657
>lift
what author?
>>
>>21289424
>(i.e. act with purpose instead of drifting off with my thoughts)
Overrated. It's probably for the best that you do drift off, so long as you're able to follow the commands of others. There's nothing worse than assertiveness for the sake of it.
>>
>>21289424
>The more unusual the better
Zen Mind Beginner's Mind (another intro to Zen could work too)
Japanese Death Poems
The Homeric Gods
The Ancient Greek Hero (EDx MOOC)
another "pagan" books I guess

>>21291690
>what author?
yourself
medium distance runners are also really hard and focused
>>
>>21289424
First make a schedule and stick to it. Exercise everyday, eat healthy, stop masturbating. Get into the habit of finishing what you start.
>>
>>21289424
You must change your life by Peter Sloterdijk.
It's not exactly self-help, it's about ethics.
Great read. Highly recommend
>>
>>21289478
I have noticed I'm becoming like this, but I thought it was more linked to my depression as a coping mechanism in an attempt to find meaning anywhere since I lost it everywhere.
>>
>>21289424
>I've come to believe that power over oneself is the highest good.
It's pretty great but not the highest
>He who is slow to anger is better than the mighty, And he who rules his spirit than he who takes a city.
Proverbs 16:32

What is the highest good? I guess it's faith
>>
>>21289424
There is no need to read. If you really want to act with purpose and actually know what your purpose is just spend hours meditating. Then you have to do the other hard things in life, such as getting your affairs in order and building your power.
There is literally nothing more than deep breathing and ignoring all the thoughts that come flying into your mind from all sides.
It is all very hard so sometimes we need books to remind us of it, but the answer they give is the same, you have to spend hours and hours in hard concentration and doing hard work to amount to anything. Little things bring little improvements, but breakthroughs require big sacrifices.
TLDR Meditate as much as you can, and work out obviously.
And remember that your relationships to other people are just a reflection of your relationship to yourself.
Read some yoga books maybe, they've helped me. Although I'm far off from where I want to be.
>>
>>21292054
>There is no need to read. If you really want to act with purpose and actually know what your purpose is just spend hours meditating. Then you have to do the other hard things in life, such as getting your affairs in order and building your power.
>There is literally nothing more than deep breathing and ignoring all the thoughts that come flying into your mind from all sides.
How will you get any answers if you ignore all thoughts that come?
>>
>>21292634
There is no way for you to move foward if you can't find someone you trust. You want answers but you don't even know the question, you have to humbly accept how effin low ont he scale you are. Particularly if you were born in the us. Yes im sorry if this is controversial, it's also true.
>>
>damn, I have become a hateful person
>that post I just wrote was really nasty
>I don't like being this kind of person
>browse 4chan again
>IMMEDIATELY call someone a faggot and say something about worldwide extermination of people like the person I am replying to
>he entirely deserved it so I objectively did no wrong
how do I stop, it's impossible
>>
>>21289428
Fpbp
>>
>>21289428
Bad bait kys
>>
Bump
>>
Santos Bonacci.
>>
Just get amphetamines m8 you probably have adhd. Its not a fake condition.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.