[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/lit/ - Literature

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: 1628718292604.jpg (657 KB, 2271x1369)
657 KB
657 KB JPG
>the city itself is a character

How do you write something like this?
>>
>>21031290
It was a beautiful day, one of those days in September where the leafs had changed their color but where not yet mush on the ground. I was keeping myself busy with housework, dusting off the cabinets and soon I would start preparing dinner. The doorbell rang, and when I answered it, it was Sam, one of the neighbors boys. „Good afternoon Mr K. Me and my friends were playing ball, and it landed in your backyard. Mind if I go get it?“
„Sure buddy, I’ll lead you the way“ He stepped inside afte reining his shoes off on the doormat. From there we had to go through the living room into the kitchen to the backyard. But when we went, he suddenly stopped, leaning against the back of our sofa. „You know what’s weird Mr. K? Don’t families usually have a large glass where they collect pennies?“ „Yes that’s pretty common, though ours is in me and my wife’s room. Why do you ask something like that though?“ „You see, mr K., there is no ball in your backyard, I had hoped you’d lead me through the house, and that I’d see such a glass somewhere, because I wanted to use it to strike up a conversation about pennies. You see mr k., I’m in a bit of a pickle, there are these older boys, and they send me here saying that if I don’t bring them at least three dollars and fifty cents, they’d beat me up“ And then it hit me like a ton of bricks: in my living room, right in front of me, wasn’t Sam, the neighbors kid, but the entire city of London in a trench coat, begging me for money.
>>
File: Patrick.gif (347 KB, 250x140)
347 KB
347 KB GIF
>>21031341
mfw
>>
Read Gormenghast and go from there. I guess it's more a castle than a city but close enough.
>>
>>21031290
Pic related is about cities specifically but in broader terms the concept you're looking for is "genius loci"
>>
>>21031290
Silent Hill
>>
Be descriptive.
>>
>>21031290
THE CITY: Hello people, tis I.
PEOPLE: The buildings are talking!
>>
File: Democratus.png (810 KB, 1100x1000)
810 KB
810 KB PNG
>>21031290
like this but a city instead of a planet
>>
>>21031290
Easier in poems.
— In Praise of Cities (Gunn)
— The Capital (Auden)
etc
In novels, the closest I can think of is Ankh-Morpork in Terry Pratchett, or Bellona in Delaney's Dhalgren.

A fully sentient city is a pretty good idea. I'm sure it's been done, but that doesn't stop someone doing it again.
>>
>>21031290
Read Tom Wolfe's "stalking the billion footed beast"
>>
>>21031539
This
>>
>>21031290
Writing about saint petersburg.
>>
>>21031290
You need to have intimate knowledge of the city. It’s history and geography. Getting details right counts
I recommend reading Tom Wolfe
>>
>>21031290
name streets, describe places, weather, trees, buildings, squares, cathedrals, bridges, rivers, lagoons, coffee places, food places, brothels, libraries, train, amount of traffic, locate them in streets, between streets, etc. Namedrop whatever shit crosses your eye in the street. I'd say it's something about these lines.
>>
>>21031290
Do you mean something like a genius loci where the city is literally conscious, or something where it has the veneer of being one and is treated/revered as such? The only works I can think of that do the latter well are /v/ shit, it requires an insane amount of worldbuilding.
>>
>>21031632
>A fully sentient city is a pretty good idea.
Sounds like something China Mieville would write
>>
Read Joyce
>>
Read 'The Street ' by Lovecraft. It's not what you're looking for, but more like a condensed version. Will point you in the right direction.
>>
>>21031290
Calvino in Invisible Cities and Marcovaldo.
>>
>>21031290
It's called 2666.
>>
>>21031290
Take a building, street, district, and describe it like it's a person. Have it speak to your characters through the scenery and the actions that take place in those locations. The best works that create 'City Characters' are ones that emphasize nurture over nature and culture over logic.
>>
>>21031290
>How do you write something like this?
You don't.
>>
I think it tends to be about how the city evolves or public opinions of the citizens change. i think i remember that in some Eça de Queirós book
>>
File: gotham.home.webm (2.83 MB, 1280x720)
2.83 MB
2.83 MB WEBM
Sometimes.
>>
>>21031341
that's pretty good m8, keep it up
>>
>>21033333
based quints
>>
>>21031341
Keep it up, this is actually good.
>>
>>21031290
The city is an egregore pulsing with life. Think GTAIV Liberty City.
>>
Dickens is the master of this. Do pathetic fallacy constantly and include everything in the scene, right down to the rats
>>
>>21031290
like little boy.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.