[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/lit/ - Literature

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

Have you read this series? Is it worth reading?
If you've read it in the original French, how difficult of a read was it? The description seems interesting enough, and I need more inpooting material.

From wikipedia:
>The Accursed Kings (French: Les Rois maudits [le ʁwa mo.di]) is a series of historical novels by French author Maurice Druon about the French monarchy in the 14th century. Published between 1955 and 1977, the series has been adapted as a miniseries twice for television in France.
>American author George R. R. Martin called The Accursed Kings "the original game of thrones", citing Druon's novels as an inspiration for his own series A Song of Ice and Fire.[1][2][3][4]
>Set in the 14th century during the reigns of the last five kings of the direct Capetian dynasty and the first two kings of the House of Valois, the series begins as the French King Philip the Fair, already surrounded by scandal and intrigue, brings a curse upon his family when he persecutes the Knights Templar. The succession of monarchs that follows leads France and England to the Hundred Years' War.
>>
>>21030234
I read it in Spanish. Pretty fucking good. Only bad thing is the last book was a disappointment.
>>
>>21030234
I read it in Spanish. Pretty fucking good. Only bad thing is the last book was a disappointment
>>
>>21030234
I read it in French when I was learning the language. Very entertaining (Robert & Mahaut mb are some of the funniest characters ever) and not too difficult for an intermediate French speaker (vocabulary range isn't overwhelminig & plot relatively clear). Also for the most part historical, the author even tries to go realist to some extent about customs & such, but still reads like GoT-tier intrigues.
>>
>>21030280
Why do you keep reposting other posts?
>>
>>21030247
I read it in English and loved it. I rarely read genre stuff but this was just so trashy and good. It's also very historically accurate in many ways. I agree the last book was so bad I didn't bother reading it, seems like the author himself gave up on the series.
>>
>>21030529
>genre stuff
what is non-genre fiction??
>>
>>21030552
Literary fiction, which is just any fiction that cant be broken down into another genre. So, for example, something like Moby Dick would be literary fiction. Genre fiction is fiction that can be broken down into a another genre, like science fiction, historical fiction, romance, crime, horror, etc.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Literary_fiction
>>
>>21030234
Read the first few chapters. Felt like reading a woman's soap opera

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.