[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/lit/ - Literature

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

I don’t mean actual Norse myths or epics. Looking for modern lit that takes place in mostly dreary, haunting wilderness and backwards towns. Just real frosty hellscapes. Ice by Anna Kavan is a good start. I need more like it.

Also I know the pic is Burzum. Don’t send me nazi shit. I’m talking pure aesthetics here.
>>
>>20796924
He's a fucking poser so I'm sure you'll get a bunch of posers in here.
>>
>>20796924
The Quran
>>
>>20796928
>defines the genre
>literally murders his enemies
>lives the life he wants to live
Wow what a poser. Even if you hate his politics calling him a poser reeks of jealousy
Queer.
>>
>>20796924
Knut Hamsun
>>
>>20796984
It’s cause they made a movie about him where he’s a fat poser who murders Euronymous out of jealousy
>>
>>20796924
Meds
>>
>>20796984
Second wave of black metal crippled the genre even before it started. The myriad of Transilvanian Hunger worship bands, among other, similar, things, is what keeps black metal down from achieving its full potential, even though it's still literally the only good genre of metal.
Thankfully there are some avant-garde black metal band which keep things both interesting and deserving of its artistic status.
>>
>>20796924
I know it's becoming a meme here, but Book of the New Sun and the dying earth genre in general is metal af
>>
Those Norwegian autists did nothing but sully the name of black metal
>>
File: 831450748.0.x.jpg (112 KB, 837x650)
112 KB
112 KB JPG
>>20796924
Pär Lägerkvist's work alway felt very black metal to me, very bleak and philosophical historical fiction. My favorites by him are The Sibyl and Barabbas.
Samuel Beckett's plays and novels also present a similar desolate and hopeless atmosphere. So far I've read Endgame and Waiting for Godot. I'm reading Molloy at the moment and it fits the bill as well.
One thematic similarity to Burzum in particular that both Beckett's and Lagerkvist's work share is the disillusionment with religion and the resulting despair and sense of absurdity.
>>
>>20796924
Euronymous deserved it
>>
Der Wehrwolf
>>
>>20796924
I think Winter’s Bone might be like that but I still need to read it.
As an aside, you listen to any Kekht Arakh?
>>
>>20797659
Second wave invented black metal, first wave black metal doesn’t exist as it is just thrash/speed/death metal and is only called black metal after the fact. Calling Varg a just outs you as a fucking idiot who knows nothing about the genre, he’s one of the few people that defined the genre and he doesn’t even like black metal or associates with the genre anymore which is the opposite of poser.
>>
>>20798765
no it didn't, first wave is absolutely distinguishable from thrash and death metal, you just lack any sense of musical ear, culture or subtlety to recognize this. just shut up.
>>
>>20797895
It wasn’t a genre before those “Norwegian autists” so congratulations on showing how you know nothing about the genre. It was am aesthetic style at most but just because a band used satanic imagery, had screeching vocals and played fast and evil riffs doesn’t mean they were black metal.
>>
>>20798774
kek found the poser that just got into metal and thinks he’s “cultured” lmaoo
>>
>>20798808
you probably think blasphemy and beherit are death metal cause youre a stupid revisionist. scandis are a blemish in the history of black metal, responsible for its degeneration into po-faced autism that it is today
>>
>>20798819
im just far more musically talented than you and can clearly hear differences in Sarcofago vs thrash-Sepultura or Metallica
>>
>>20798774
>first wave is absolutely distinguishable from thrash and death metal
Those bands are transitional at most, they don’t share between themselves or the common ethos “second wave” and beyond does. Bathory is the exception but then again Bathory could be considered simply the first black metal band (as opposed to Venom who are just an inspiration, not the creators). The waves shit is something retards like to fixate on, but it doesn’t hold up under scrutiny so shut the fuck up about muh musical ear and culture, because you definitely lack all of that plus common sense.
>>
>>20798774
Black metal is not just about how the music sounds, the ideology behind it is just as important and that’s why before second wave there wasn’t a genre called black metal as such, even though some bands sometimes used the phrase but you wouldn’t call Slayer anything other than thrash would you? There’s a reason why first wave is only called that after Mayhem, Darkthrone etc, defined the genre, no one was calling those bands black metal back then.
>>
>>20798808
Venom is Black Metal regardless of what you think.
>>
>>20798863
>Those bands are transitional at most, they don’t share between themselves or the common ethos “second wave” and beyond does. Bathory is the exception but then again Bathory could be considered simply the first black metal band (as opposed to Venom who are just an inspiration, not the creators). The waves shit is something retards like to fixate on, but it doesn’t hold up under scrutiny so shut the fuck up about muh musical ear and culture, because you definitely lack all of that plus common sense.
lmao you said norwegians created black metal while not even addressing how easily sarcofago or beherit is distinguishable from any death metal. stop talking about music retard, black metal has next to nothing to do with scandis.
>>
>>20798887
deathcrush doesnt sound any more "black metal" than sarcofago. mayhem didnt invent shit. and as for the 90s stuff, black metal existed solidly before that and in styles separate from the norse style that idiots mistakenly came to view as the definitive style of black metal.
>>
>>20797659
>even though it's still literally the only good genre of metal
yikes. I bet you only listen to blackgaze, too
>>
>>20799129
Nah. I like shoegaze, but hate mixing it with black metal.
>>
Terrible thread.
>>
>>20798765
I wasn't the anon that first stated that Varg is a poser. He's not, he's just a fucking idiot.
My problem isn't so much with the early second wave black metal as it is with what it did. Just as I stated.
How many bands which are straight up copies of 30 year old albums can you find? How many bands like Deathspell Omega, Imperial Triumphant or Grey Aura can you find?
>>
>>20797010
I’ve read Hunger. What would you recommend otherwise?
>>
>>20796924
Say You Love Satan
>>
File: 1659179640504277.jpg (72 KB, 764x670)
72 KB
72 KB JPG
>>20796924
I have some dark philosophy recommendations

Ancients
>The Man who was Tired of Life(Ancient Egyptian Wisdom)
>The Wisdom of Silenus(Ancient Greek Wisdom)
>The Dialogue of Pessimism(Mesopotemian Wisdom)
>Ecclesiastes(Biblical Wisdom)
>Dukkha(Buddhist Wisdom)

Modern
>On the Suffering of the World/The Vanity of Existence by Schopenhauer
>The Last Messiah by Zapffe
>The New Gods by Cioran
>The Denial of Death by Becker
>The Conspiracy Against the Human Race by Ligotti
>Das Untier by Ulrich Horstmann
>The Collapse of Complex Societies by Joseph Tainter
>Learning to Die in the Anthropocene by Roy Scranton
>In the Dust of this Planet by Eugene Thacker

Fiction
>Maldoror by de Lautréamont
>>
>>20796984
he admits that he hates bm and was just going through an edgy phase, which is the definition of a poser
>>
File: DeadAsDreams.jpg (23 KB, 280x280)
23 KB
23 KB JPG
>>20796924
Books like this?
>>
>>20797659
>>20800743
kek of course you like avant-teen dissonant riff salad garbage
>>
>>20802656
Sure thing buddy. For a visitor of a literary board, you sure don't know what avant or garde means. Go ahead and listen to trash metal.
>>
>>20799129
>blackgaze
sounds based
>>
>>20802886
thrash metal is based though
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bdrALI35tWw
>>
>>20796928
Fpbp
>>
>>20798894
Venom was shitty thrash metal.
>>
>>20797900
This + The Dwarf. Strindberg (Inferno, People of Hemso)
>>
>>20798678
I love kekht arakh!

I feel like some of the old celtic stories have kind of a black metal feeling to them.
There's this book by JM Synge where he talks about his time in the Aran Islands and he describes the people who live there. There are a lot of weird folk stories and a lot of it is about how closely the people live to nature. Its definitely got a desolate, timeless thing going on
>>
File: folder.jpg (70 KB, 600x585)
70 KB
70 KB JPG
>>20802886
Enjoy your faggot quirky le dissonant riff salad.
>Go ahead and listen to trash metal.
Thanks, I will.
>>
File: zwart vierkant.jpg (99 KB, 700x700)
99 KB
99 KB JPG
>>20805466
Will do.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.