[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/lit/ - Literature

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: 1650311405167.jpg (9 KB, 254x304)
9 KB
9 KB JPG
Where do I start with Aquinas? The summa theologiae is about 4000 pages, that's a bit too much to take on. Is there another book he wrote that is good and accesible?
>>
>>20571676
He labels everything very conveniently. Just look at the table of contents and read the sections which interest you. Might help to read Aristotle first but that's it's own massive undertaking
>>
>>20571701
>read the sections which interest you
As long as you don't claim to have "read" Aquinas after doing so
>>
>>20571676
Make it digestible by breaking it up over multiple days. 1000 pages a day should be manageable. 1000x4 = 4 days to read the entire thing. You could possibly try 2000 a day if you're a speed reader, but that's pushing it.
>>
>>20571707
What are you going to do about it big guy
>>
>>20571676
No.
Don’t start at all. There’s no reason to.
>>
>>20571955
Why do you think he is bad? I thought he was the most prominent Christian philosopher.
>>
Read The Summa of the Summa by Kreeft
>>20570908
>>
>>20571676
>Is there another book he wrote that is good and accesible?

You might try his commentaries on various books of the Bible -- Psalms, Romans, John, and many more!

https://isidore.co/aquinas/

Also at that link, check out the texts listed under the "Popular" subheading.

I am no expert on Aquinas - I find him quite difficult, and prefer *commentaries* on Aquinas to the man himself** - but Contra Gentiles is somewhat more accessible and engaging: https://isidore.co/aquinas/english/ContraGentiles1.htm

**E.g., Vonier, A Key to the Doctrine of the Eucharist is essentially a popular-level commentary on the Eucharistic doctrine of Aquinas. Also worth checking out is Aidan Nichols, Discovering Aquinas. Nichols is an excellent and reliable Catholic scholar.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.