[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/lit/ - Literature

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

Name the best novel, poem and play that is written in your native language.

I will start:
>novel
Goethe's Faust
>poem
Goethe's Faust
>play
Goethe's Faust
>>
>>20569630
I think I have to read faust in the original german because I read an english translation and wasnt impressed but it seems to be a lot of peoples favorite and its been so influential that I cant help but think Im missing something.
>>
>>20569630
>novel
Elis Monteverde Burrau - De äter ur din hand, baby
>poem
Anything by Karin Boye
>play
I don't read plays.
>>
>>20569630
>Novel
Notre Dame de Paris by Hugo
>Poem
The Bruce by John Barbour
>Play
Thyestes by Seneca
>>
>>20569630
>novel
Le Morte d'Arthur
>poem
Sir Gawain and the Green Knight
>play
The Misfortunes of Arthur
>>
>>20569630
>novel
Andreas Empiricus - The Great Eastern
>poem
Homer Melesigenes - The Iliad
>play
Aeschylus Euphorionides - Agamemnon
>>
>>20569630
>novel
Don Quixote
>poem
Platero y Yo
>play
Bodas de Sangre/Blood wedding
>>
>Best novel
Storm of steel

>Best poem
Storm of steel

>Best play
Storm of steel
>>
>>20570193
Hate the English name of that book. Always sounds like an edgy metal band. Honestly think "In Steelweather" would have been better.
>>
>>20570807
Isn't that the actual translation? I think its one of the most kino titles I've ever heard. In steelweather sounds stupid and makes no sense
>>
>>20571070
"Storm" mostly suggests a strong wind. "Gewitter" in German however means a weather of heavy lightning, not wind. "In Stahlgewittern" suggests lightning strikes made out of iron coming down around you. Storm of Steel is a passable translation of the general information, but it does not convey the same imagery, because iron wind isn't as immediately terrifying as iron lightningstrikes. A proper translation of "Gewitter" would be lightning storm, but that is too much of a mouthful. Maybe "In Iron Lightning Storms"?
Yeah, Storms of Steel is a cool alliteration on its own, but it has too much bravado, for me personally, to transport the bleakness of "In Stahlgewittern". Might aswell change the book cover into a Manowar album of your choice.

tl;dr I have heavy autism.
>>
>Best novel
Il Decamerone, Boccaccio

>Best Poem
La Divina Commedia, Dante

>Best Play
La Mandragola, Machiavelli

I’ll add best short story, it’s also by Machiavelli

Favola di Belfagor Arcidiavolo
it’s pretty funny
>>
>>20569630
>>novel
Don't care
>>poem
Iliad
>>play
Aeschylus' Agamenon
>>
>>20571106
Yeah it definitely sounds like you do bro. Thanks for the reply though, interesting to read
>>
>>20569630
>novel
Bleak House
>poem
The Prelude (Wordsworth)
>play
Henry IV, Part 1
>>
File: Vostok.png (217 KB, 1594x808)
217 KB
217 KB PNG
>>20569630

There's also the one about the argument over Kant, but for me it's the chess game at Vostok.
>>
>>20572111
>Thanks for the reply though, interesting to read
Well, that is, if nothing else, good enough.

>>20573578
Also the guy who kept challenging others to duels over Dante being better than Ariosto, revealing on his death bed that he never read either of the two.
>>
>>20569660
What the hell is your native language?
>>20569645
It's full of cringe ass Dr Seuss rhyming
>>
>>20574421
>It's full of cringe ass Dr Seuss rhyming
Fuck off, Mephistopheles' dialogue is fun to read.
>>
>>20569658
>I don't read plays.
Based.

>listed novel
pink-pilled
>>
>>20569630
Faust is not a novel.
>>
>>20571106
no Storm of Steel sounds cool and fun and that was the whole point of the book
>>
>>20571106
kys
>>20571070
no, the title should actually be "Under Storms of Steel"
>>
>Call of the Crocodile
>The Tiger
>Hamilton
>>
>>20574414
>the guy who kept challenging others to duels
that man is the most /ourguy/ there ever will be. He's the absolute embodiment of /lit/
>>
>>20569630
>novel
Ibsen's Peer Gynt
>poem
Ibsen's Peer Gynt
>play
Ibsen's Peer Gynt
>>
>>20576566
Pretty sure that’s F Gardner
>>
>>20576593
hang yourself with razorwire you fucking nigger tranny spammer
>>
>>20576566
It's funny to observe how every 4chan board has very strong opinions about their subject matter while having very little actual experience of their subject matter.
I guess being mad at something that you don't care about is the glue that holds this community together.
>>
>>20576614
I see it in a different way: it's unbridled idealism that fueled the duelist. Had he read Dante or Ariosto, he would've been aware of the shortcomings of both. But by reading neither, he could preserve that Platonic ideal in his mind, and that Platonic ideal is the strongest thing there is when you abandon the materialist mindset of this world. See, I wouldn't fight for a real woman IRL, but I would fight for my waifu, whom I've written myself. It's very similar to what happens with /lit/. As all meaning and purpose and beauty itself and the arts fall apart inexorably within the clutch of materialists and social engineers, holding onto idealistic reductionism is what gives the people here that certain... there's probably a German word for that - that fighting spirit, so to speak. I do not look down upon the /lit/erate, because I know that the times are dire and this vital energy is spiraling away into the darkness of the night. There's a punk song in my country that says something along the lines of "I need an antagonist, yeah, an arbitrary one, I've chosen an enemy at random tonight", and there's much truth in this from a human standpoint. Sometimes you just need a cause to die for, and when all certainty is lost and all heroes are dead, you fabricate an ideal of them in your mind and protect it at all costs from whatever others might say, or what you might discover yourself, then you fight for it until you go down. Being informed is actually overrated, it's not even close to the actual number one priority of man.
>>
>>20576672
>Being informed is actually overrated, it's not even close to the actual number one priority of man.
Calm down there, Nietzsche, Euripides wrote some good tragedies.
Though I do agree with you to some extent.
>>
>>20569630
Why are Russians so intense about literature? Did you hear about the guy who got shot in a debate over Kant in Russia?
>>
>>20576855
it's something about the russian soul
>>
>>20570807
>weather
Gewitter is "storm" or "thunderstorm", not "weather", you moron.
>>
>>20577025
Gewitter is etymologically very closely related to "weather" though. Storm on its own does not cover the extent of what "Gewitter" convey as a word, so you might aswell pick the word that sounds similar.
Thunderstorm is already a compound word, so making a compound word out of that would be tacky.
>>
File: anglos.png (189 KB, 1293x491)
189 KB
189 KB PNG
>novel
Pale Fire
>poem
The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock
>play
Othello
>>
>>20577070
>Northern Ireland isn't even pictured
heh
>>
>>20577127
That's part of the UK, man
>>
>>20577051
>Gewitter is etymologically very closely related to "weather" though.
That's not how translation works, though. You need semantic correspondence, not etymological/historical.
>Storm on its own does not cover the extent of what "Gewitter" convey as a word, so you might aswell pick the word that sounds similar.
https://www.duden.de/rechtschreibung/Gewitter
>mit Blitzen, Donner [und Regen o. Ä.] verbundenes Unwetter
very close to "storm" (which may include thunders), and the same as "thunderstorm"
If you're picking words because sound similar, you might as well not translate things at all, since the sound is so important while the sense can be completely abandoned. (Gewitter and weather don't sound similar anyway.)
>Thunderstorm is already a compound word, so making a compound word out of that would be tacky.
Making a compound word would be tacky in any case at all and shouldn't be done. Compound words are natural in German, not so much in English, so unless it's really necessary for some reason (philosophical terminology or something similar) it should be turned into a normal English "[noun 1] of [noun 2]" or "[adjective] [noun]" (e.g. storm of steel, steel storm).
>>
>>20577127
>>20577132
No wait, you're right, Scotland and Wales are there, but not NI. Too culturally irrelevant, I guess.
>>
Hamlet

Paradise Lost

Finnegans Wake
>>
>>20577158
Finnegans Wake is not written in the same language as Hamlet and Paradise Loft.
>>
>>20577282
What do you mean? All three are virtually unreadable.
>>
>>20577349
No no you see Finnegans Wake has that funny thunder word on the first page (that's how far anyone has read)!

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.