[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/lit/ - Literature

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: citr.jpg (72 KB, 294x475)
72 KB
72 KB JPG
Is it actually a good book or just something that has become ubiquitous in high school English curriculum?
>>
I am one of the few who actually liked this book.
>>
Pretty much. It’s the Call of the Crocodile of high school books.
>>
Loved the book back in high school was thinking of rereading it since it felt so impactful at the time. Just wondering if it holds up or if its just angsty
>>
>>20568225
It's probably more angsty than you remember, but I still find it to be very enjoyable. I love the casual way it's written -- "goddamn" this and "like hell" that
>>
>>20568161
it just sucks
>>
>>20568161
Just don't go on a mass ........ spree after reading it.
>>
>>20568269
Lol i think that is what helps it become more authentic. Like 100% a teenager would write that way. I know i would have.
>>
I read it 8 years ago. Tried reading it again recently but it bored the shit out of me.
>>
>>20568161
It's good.
Everyone's like oh teenage angst blah.
Bitch you'd have angst to if your fucking brother dies I don't care how old you are.
>>
>>20568161
The latter. Low brow and written by a Jewish CIA nigger
>>
>>20568161
It’s good but not
>make this a part of the curriculum
good.
>>
I liked some of the writing style but I just couldn't really empathise with character but that may be more due to me growing up relatively poor-ish and having to fend for myself as a teenager without familial support or any money. So I just wanted the cunt to stop bitching basically.
>>
>>20568225
listen to it on audiobook, it's on youtube. it's good stuff but not the kind of thing you need to study or think about much so it's perfect for that.
>>
>>20568161
I thought the last 10 pages were okay because he stopped being a whiny bitch.
>>
>>20568161
It's a good book. The passage in which the title is explained is very beautiful.
>>
>>20568225

I reread it at 30 and lived it even more.
>>
>>20568161
I liked it, and I just reread it recently, the main character is literally me.
>>
>>20568161
It is a good book but i think you have to be able to relate to the main character, else you will just not get it.
Salinger wrote the book to process his own PTSD, so if you have no experience to what this is like, you will just think Holden is a whiny little bitch.
>>
>>20568161
It’s a masterpiece.
>>
>>20568161
His other books are better
>>
>>20569390
You think so? I found Zooey Glass so obnoxious it tainted the whole of “Franny and Zooey” for me.
>>
>>20569142
This
>>
>>20569390
His short stories are better than his novels
>>
actually the worst thing salinger wrote, but it is worth it for the context it will bring 'the ocean full of bowling balls' when its released in 40 years
>>
>>20568225
I reread Catcher as an adult and found it both angstier and funnier than I remembered.
>>
>>20568204
Everyone likes the book. The ones who says otherwise are fags that doesn't like to admit they like something mainstream
>>
>>20570498
>everyone who disagrees with me is a phony
>>
>>20568161
this was the first book i ever read. i figured i would start with a known classic, and the cover is beautiful. i fucking hated it so much and it was such a pain to get through. i was 19 then i believe.

now at 25 i look back and i think its actually really good, i understand the main character now, i was so similar to him 6 years ago but i couldnt see it untill i grew up. why the americans have this in the schools i still dont understand.
>>
>>20568161
There is a very small window in a person’a life where this is the best book ever.

Too young? You don’t get it, it’s boring.
Too old? Holden is a whiny brat.
>>
>>20570774
You didnt read a single fucking book until you were 19?
>>
>>20568225
I liked it in high school too but even then I understood that Holden is just a weirdo who thinks he's smarter than he is and can't get along with anyone else. The scene that always sticks out to me is at the beginning of the book when he tries to play wrestle with his boarding school roommate who hates him. Shows that Holden really just wants companionship in spite of everything.
>>
>>20570869
>Average /lit/ user
>>
It's his weakest work, but it's only cringe because it's become so ubiquitous. Franny & Raise High the Roof Beam, Carpenters are my personal favorites.
>>
>>20570418
>actually the worst thing salinger wrote
What is Hapworth 16?
>>
>>20570869
not fiction, no. i read books on chemistry and nutrition, studies medical papers etc...

>>20571009
i get more pussy than you though
>>
Essential teenage read.
>>
>>20570744
Madman.

>>20568161
The way the guy writes, I mean the prose, it's completely natural. It's hard to believe it wasn't just a recording or something, like seriously the writing is so realistically human in nature. It makes a whole slew I mean a lot of previous work a robotic slog. The strict styles of yesteryear are gone and this fat fuck has unleashed a whole new world. Look at it too, like it's wildly approachable, Andy fucking dumbass kid can read it and get it first try but to "get" it, I mean like really get it you have to have read a great deal of other books and have a bit of a bitterness flavor pointed at the schlomos who put out stuff that's just so strict narratively speaking.
>>
>>20570418
>'the ocean full of bowling balls' when its released in 40 years
It got leaked and you can read it online now. I literally just read it

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.