[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/lit/ - Literature

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: 1630440658270.jpg (117 KB, 1080x1439)
117 KB
117 KB JPG
I'm reading a novel set in Medieval Europe where Aristotelian philosophy is very important and I'm very curious about it all
Do you think it'd be worth buying pic related so I could study Plato and Aristotle or should I just read a summary?
How difficult is Aristotle and Plato to understand?
I normally refuse to read anything other than fiction and poetry because I think nonfiction is a waste of time but maybe I'll make an exception
>>
>>20563555
Imagine reading Umberto Eco without knowing anything about philosophy.
>I normally refuse to read anything other than fiction and poetry because I think nonfiction is a waste of time
Imagine unironically holding such NPC opinions.
>>
>>20563577
Imagine pounding back 5000 pages of Aristotle and Plato and still thinking "The Name of the Rose" is intelligent enough to read.

OP, if Umberto Eco's fiction sparks your imagination and awe, you're better off reading Sherlock Holmes for now. This is real advice, no sarcasm or condescension. Don't waste your time.
>>
Hackett Plato is good reading regardless. Get the Essential Works of Aristotle from Modern Library if you must buy something for Aristotle but its better to read him online. You won't want to reread him.
>>
>>20563589
*Basic Works of Aristotle from Modern Library
>>
>>20563577
Well I'm familiar with Philosophy of Religion because of my perpetual fear of Hell but otherwise I do think it's a waste of time to read about
Same with history although regrettably I have spent too much time reading history, it's completely worthless compared to real art
>>20563559
Did you find you got much out of Aristotle? How seriously did you study him?
>>20563589
I've heard the translations of the Hackett edition are a bit weak, not your experience?
>>20563584
I've read most of the Sherlock Holmes stories about 12 years ago, I'm not looking for that kind of fiction now
>>
ive been struggling with my philosophy degree for way too long so what do i know
still, aristotle has my recommendation, plato i havent read, and aristotle, ive only read the ethics and a few loose passages, but go for it, and become an educated gentleman
>>
>>20563589
>You won't want to reread him
bullshit
hell want to read it many times over unless he is some 165 freak
>>
>>20563555
That edition of Aristotle is 50% off on Princeton publishign website right now, good time to pick it up
>>
>>20563555
Just read Aristotle's wikipedia page hahahaha
>>
>christfag
>refuses to learn literally anything
like pottery
get cancer and die
>>
File: 618EKm0yvtL.jpg (79 KB, 907x1360)
79 KB
79 KB JPG
>>20563555
>should I just read a summary
Jonathan Lear's is excellent.
>>
>>20563744
>clearly seems to make his idea of substance relative, and compatible with ideas like "We're all just like, parts of the primary substance of Gaia, man",
Prima substantia != prima materia
Aristotle was one of the first to come up with the idea of prima materia as prope nihil, which means he directly negated that ecstatic sort of pantheism. Aristotle's prima substantia is not obviously compatible with most Christian doctrines either though, it's very Apollonian and even modern in a way.
>>
File deleted.
>>20563621
Not OP but thanks I just bought both. Love Aristotle so much, but I've only been reading the PDFs before.
>>
>>20563555
Brainlet here. How is the book of Plato that I own (the Republic) just as large as the book of his complete works in your picture? Are the 'complete works' like an abridged version? What's going on?
>>
>>20563555
>Do you think it'd be worth buying pic related so I could study Plato and Aristotle or should I just read a summary?
Read summary first, its like wanting to learn about Christianity by just reading the Old testament, the writing would fly over your head without any guiding commentary
>>
>>20564062
Bible paper
>>
>>20564062
Politeia is like 300 pages long, and so are the dialogues
Its mostlikely just thinner paper, I have two separate copies of collected works, one that is just the Dialogues and another that has the Republic with the dialogues, that collection feels like a Bible
>>
>>20564062
This >>20564067 (except even thinner paper than my copy of the Bible) and also very small font and relatively large pages. It's definitely not abridged.
>>
>>20564067
>>20564069
>>20564070
Alright, thank you. Definitely not getting the collected works then.
>>
File: 1638682029272.jpg (40 KB, 431x420)
40 KB
40 KB JPG
>>20563611
>philosophy degree
>plato i haven't read
>>
>>20563555
You should really research which texts were available and where because today we are incredibly privileged with our access to these texts compared to the middle ages.
>>
>>20564072
Fag.
>>
>>20563589
>You won't want to reread him.

Filtered tourist spotted
>>
>>20564003
That looks great thank you anon
>>
>>20564062
Thin paper + small font + this picture making it look smaller than it is
>>
>>20563690
> be almost any other religion
> have little to no literature at all, don’t value literature, literacy
>>
>>20563611
>Philosophy degree
>No Plato
What the hell?! Not even The Republic??
>>
File: 41AyhB8tY9L.jpg (32 KB, 311x500)
32 KB
32 KB JPG
>>20564003
A. E. Taylor and R. M. Hare wrote similar (good) books on Plato.
>>
>>20563653
yeah hahahahahaha
>>
>>20564503
>>20563614
Ok your right. Aristotle is so fun and illuminating to read. Can't wait to jump back in after sucking off 300 guys today so that I can read for the umpteenth time that One quality may be the contrary of another; thus justice is the contrary of injustice, whiteness of blackness, and so on. The things, also, which are said to be such and such in virtue of these qualities, may be contrary the one to the other; for that which is unjust is contrary to that which is just, that which is white to that which is black. This, however, is not always the case. Red, yellow, and such colours, though qualities, have no contraries. God I sure do love reading Aristotle and knowing Why is a dog’s tongue good for medicine, and a horse’s tongue pestiferous? Woah, I'm deriving so much value from this great ancient philosopher. :OOOO
>>
>>20564085
>>20564860
i glanced over critias and the apology the first semester of year 1 but i wouldt call that reading plato
>>
>>20563611
>ive been struggling with my philosophy degree
>plato i havent read
>aristotle, ive only read the ethics and a few loose passages
hmmm could it be that there is a reasoning and pattern behind why you are struggling so?
>>
>>20567384
no that's just the syllabus, you say i didnt do extra work so no wonder i struggle, fair enough, but the greeks could have taken up all 4 years, instead they were rather glanced over and instead we learned about the germans (which i dont mind) and the french (which i do mind, cause goddamn are they a bunch of faggots)
>>
>>20564743
>be almost any other religion
>have little to no literature at all, don’t value literature, literacy
yet, contradictorily, you posted two writers from a different religion, and Plato's surviving works amount to the same wordcount of the Bible and the Greeks obviously valued literacy and literature far more than early Christians who were all non-whites or Semites
>>
>>20567396
shouldn't have gone to a bad university
you can use the Greeks to discuss pretty much any idea of modern philosophy anyways.
>>
>>20567409
>you can use the Greeks to discuss pretty much any idea of modern philosophy anyway
this is a big takeaway for me, anything you can think of has been thought of before
life aint so different with our widgets and gadgets, we are still skin and bone, and the pitfalls of life have been known to us for a long time
>>
>>20566453
Based. Asstotle fags btfo.
>>
>>20567421
there is nothing new under the sun that hasn't already been discussed, and all of philosophy is a series of footnotes to Plato. but these 2 digit IQ pseuds studying philosophy at universities will absolutely refuse to read difficult, yet meaningful philosophy such as Plato and instead content themselves with reading some 20th century French pedophile like Sartre or Foucault or de Beauvoir
>>
File: file.png (924 KB, 700x996)
924 KB
924 KB PNG
Aristotle is the Astolfo of philosophers and that's a good thing
>>
>>20563555
>because I think nonfiction is a waste of time
Why would anyone think that? Isn't it usually the other way round?
No really, tell me your reasoning.
>>
Both are worth owning. I’m half way through the complete translations of Plato now.
>>
>>20563589
>You won't want to reread him.
t. retard
>>
>>20567396
Why are you doing a Philosophy degree? Degrees are to prove that you have knowledge in a certain field and are used for employment. If you want to learn philosophy you can literally just read the books
>>
>>20563555
>How difficult is Aristotle and Plato to understand?
Just think of Umberto Eco
>>
>>20569462
So accessible?

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.