[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/lit/ - Literature

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: ImageHandler.jpg (56 KB, 355x570)
56 KB
56 KB JPG
holy shit this mf loves words..
>>
>>20366796
beardless boys*
>>
>>20366808
and words too, I suppose
>>
>>20366808
he took the greek pill
>>
>>20366796
post excerpt
>>
>>20367314
>Strether's first question, when he reached the hotel, was about his friend; yet on his learning that Waymarsh was apparently not to arrive till evening he was not wholly disconcerted. A telegram from him bespeaking a room "only if not noisy," with the answer paid, was produced for the inquirer at the office, so that the understanding that they should meet at Chester rather than at Liverpool remained to that extent sound. The same secret principle, however, that had prompted Strether not absolutely to desire Waymarsh's presence at the dock, that had led him thus to postpone for a few hours his enjoyment of it, now operated to make him feel that he could still wait without disappointment. They would dine together at the worst, and, with all respect to dear old Waymarsh—if not even, for that matter, to himself—there was little fear that in the sequel they should not see enough of each other. The principle I have just mentioned as operating had been, with the most newly-disembarked of the two men, wholly instinctive—the fruit of a sharp sense that, delightful as it would be to find himself looking, after so much separation, into his comrade's face, his business would be a trifle bungled should he simply arrange that this countenance should present itself to the nearing steamer as the first "note," for him, of Europe. Mixed with everything was the apprehension, already, on Strether's part, that he would, at best, throughout, prove the note of Europe in quite a sufficient degree. This note had been meanwhile—since the previous afternoon, thanks to this happier device—such a consciousness of personal freedom as he had not known for years; such a deep taste of change and of having, above all, for the moment, nobody and nothing to consider, as promised already, if headlong hope were not too foolish, to colour his adventure with cool success. There were people on the ship with whom he had easily—so far as ease could, up to now, be imputed to him—consorted, and who for the most part plunged straight into the current that set, from the landing-stage, to London; there were others who had invited him to a tryst at the inn, and had even invoked his aid for a "look round" at the beauties of Liverpool; but he had stolen away from everyone alike; had kept no appointment and renewed no acquaintance; had been indifferently aware of the number of persons who esteemed themselves fortunate in being, unlike himself, "met"; and had even, independently, unsociably, alone, without encounter or relapse and by mere quiet evasion, given his afternoon and evening to the immediate and the sensible. They formed a qualified draught of Europe, an afternoon and an evening on the banks of the Mersey, but such as it was he took his potion at least undiluted. He winced a little, truly, at the thought that Waymarsh might be already at Chester.
>>
>>20367456
clunky and boring. too many insertions.
>>
>>20366796
>Filtered by Henry James

I recommend the Percy Jackson series, Eragorn, or Isaac Asimov
>>
File: 1649017035812.png (647 KB, 848x1036)
647 KB
647 KB PNG
>>20367484
Your mother's pussy is clunky and boring after too many insertions
>>
File: 75384.png (246 KB, 389x443)
246 KB
246 KB PNG
>>20367649
>>
>>20367456
I kneel
>>
>>20367456
if a student wrote this shit you'd say it sucks, this doesn't even have antique charm it's just tedious
>>
>>20366808
In the real world, boys are always beardless, Mehmet
>>
>>20367853
No student could write this tho
>>
>>20367456
This nigger condemned himself to an additional lifetime in hell with each and every comma he cursed his insufferable works with
>>
>>20367456
>Mixed with everything was the apprehension, already, on Strether's part, that he would, at best, throughout, prove the note of Europe in quite a sufficient degree.
S I X C O M M A S
O N E S E N T E N C E
>>
>>20367649
kekked and jejjed
>>
>>20366796
Yes and so should you.
>>20367456
Sublime.
>>
>>20367456
This faggot doesn't understand flow. Just autistic word dumping. This is what happens when you don't understand poetry.
>>
>>20367456
this is amazing
>>
>>20366796
"Henry James? That's not literature." — Cormac McCarthy
>>
Henry James is kino and I think its hilarious how he filters 50% of /lit/.
>>
File: 20211201_190149.png (758 KB, 1248x908)
758 KB
758 KB PNG
>>
>>20368476
Henry James filters everyone not just brainlets. He's on another level. So called great authors got their shit rocked by him. And he did it effortlessly.
>>
>>20368476
That passage isn't kino. It's just some effette dandy rationalizing how he isn't a loser since no one met him at the docks.
>>
>>20368528
His friend is the personification of America, and ties him to his current life. Strether didn't want Waymarsh and his own old patterns of thought and being to set the tone on landing
>>
>>20368528
effete dandy's are kino by default
>>
>>20368500
Was it autism?
>>
>>20367456
What's bad?
>>
>>20368957
This part is definitely a little ... "unusual"
>The principle I have just mentioned as operating had been, with the most newly-disembarked of the two men, wholly instinctive—the fruit of a sharp sense that, delightful as it would be to find himself looking, after so much separation, into his comrade's face, his business would be a trifle bungled should he simply arrange that this countenance should present itself to the nearing steamer as the first "note," for him, of Europe. Mixed with everything was the apprehension, already, on Strether's part, that he would, at best, throughout, prove the note of Europe in quite a sufficient degree.
>>
FUCK HENRY JAMES POSTER
I SUMMON YOU
>>
>>20367456
still not as tedious as dostoevsky
>>
>>20367456
Seems alright.
>>
File: 159440.png (1.35 MB, 992x1347)
1.35 MB
1.35 MB PNG
>>20367456
>>
>>20367456
So THIS is The Master. In terms of meandering he can't be beat, but in terms of prose, Joyce still surpasses him.
>>
based james forever filtering boo boo ass peons from beyond the grave
>>
What's the approved order to read James in
>>
>>20366796
>the average /lit/wit opens a book for the first time
>>
>>20369709
He was right.
>>
>>20371125
How so?
>>
>>20367456
>beauties of liverpool
lost me there
>>
>>20368500
I love this bit. The world's most verbally roundabout man.
>>
>>20367853
>if a student wrote this shit you'd say it sucks
Dumbo. You can post a paragraph written by Joyce, Conrad and or Faulkner on this board, claim it as your own and 90% of the posts would tell you it's god awful dogshit and that you need to learn the basics and how to write and you will never be published. Have you EVER looked at the writing general? It's a disaster, the shit that they love over there is anime fantasy world stuff of people visiting taverns and shops.
>>
>>20371754
Trannies, therapists, and children cartoons are your answer.
>>
>>20368979
this is just quite homosexual
>>
>>20371905
Why was he like this
>>
>>20368276
kino, i know
>>
>>20368500
This had me laughing so hard.
>>
>>20369709
Henry James never said this. a CHARACTER said this. who James proceeds to shit on in the next paragraph. fucking retard.
>>
>>20371895
Did you just realize that James just loved to talk shit to amuse himself. His genius lays in the fact that he could be so verbose in off the cuff general conversation.
>>
post more Jameskino

>Making use then of clumsy terms of excess, the face was too narrow and too long, the eyes not large, and the mouth, on the other hand, by no means small, with substance in its lips and a slight, the very slightest, tendency to protrusion in the solid teeth, otherwise indeed well arrayed and flashingly white. But it was, strangely, as a cluster of possessions of his own that these things, in Charlotte Stant, now affected him; items in a full list, items recognised, each of them, as if, for the long interval, they had been “stored” wrapped up, numbered, put away in a cabinet. While she faced Mrs. Assingham the door of the cabinet had opened of itself; he took the relics out, one by one, and it was more and more, each instant, as if she were giving him time. He saw again that her thick hair was, vulgarly speaking, brown, but that there was a shade of tawny autumn leaf in it, for “appreciation”—a colour indescribable and of which he had known no other case, something that gave her at moments the sylvan head of a huntress. He saw the sleeves of her jacket drawn to her wrists, but he again made out the free arms within them to be of the completely rounded, the polished slimness that Florentine sculptors, in the great time, had loved, and of which the apparent firmness is expressed in their old silver and old bronze. He knew her narrow hands, he knew her long fingers and the shape and colour of her finger-nails, he knew her special beauty of movement and line when she turned her back, and the perfect working of all her main attachments, that of some wonderful finished instrument, something intently made for exhibition, for a prize. He knew above all the extraordinary fineness of her flexible waist, the stem of an expanded flower, which gave her a likeness also to some long, loose silk purse, well filled with gold pieces, but having been passed, empty, through a finger-ring that held it together. It was as if, before she turned to him, he had weighed the whole thing in his open palm and even heard a little the chink of the metal. When she did turn to him it was to recognise with her eyes what he might have been doing. She made no circumstance of thus coming upon him, save so far as the intelligence in her face could at any moment make a circumstance of almost anything. If when she moved off she looked like a huntress, she looked when she came nearer like his notion, perhaps not wholly correct, of a muse. But what she said was simply: “You see you’re not rid of me. How is dear Maggie?”
>>
>>20373574
The Master.
>>
>>20373550
No one ever claimed that this was Henry's opinion. And technically he did "say" it.
>>
>>20373574
>Mrs. Assingham
Heh
>>
File: get squirted on.jpg (145 KB, 843x872)
145 KB
145 KB JPG
>>20367456
I got two sentences in and I started zoning out. I hate shit like this where the writer is pitter-pattering around in the written form of stuttering.
>>
I've never read Henry James but I know many of Hemingway/Fitzergald's generation admired him and eventually felt compelled to talk shit like all youngsters when they realize it's time to fight their heroes. Where should I start with him?
>>
File: pussy slayer.png (922 KB, 915x722)
922 KB
922 KB PNG
>>20373574
>He saw again that her thick hair was, vulgarly speaking, brown
oh my fucking god
>>
>>20368299
>>20368957
>>20369699
These are the people on /lit/ giving recommendations like Catcher in the Rye. That's why I take anything on here seriously. It's just a bunch of contrarians recommending actual garbage like those crocodile horror novels. What a shit board.
>>
>>20374013
Only the author recommends that novel. He's obsessed with himself and promotes it anytime he's not rangebanned for self promoting. You can tell when he gets off a ban because every thread on lit suddenly has references to it.
>>
>>20374013
>Catcher in the Rye
If you think that novel is badly written you honestly don't understand much about prose or literature.
>>
>>20374068
When did i mention prose? Stop talking out of your ass. Catcher in the Rye is trash, just like your taste
>>
File: 487545.png (4 KB, 183x275)
4 KB
4 KB PNG
>>20374166
>judging fiction not for its prose
>>
>>20368436
your face is not literature, McCarthy
>>
If you like this style but want an actually good writer, read Woolf.
>>
>>20374497
Where to start with her
>>
>>20373970
What's the problem? He's analysing her and their relationship together like a piece of art, which all the characters in The Golden Bowl do to each other.
>>
>>20373574
this is really good stuff, idk what people are complaining about the sentences, not really even that bad desu, I expected something a lot worse based on all the memes.
>>
>>20373574
>a semi-colon?
>why no, I've, that is, the person who is, actually, now present, has never heard of such a thing
>how, could you, tell?
>>
>>20374497
>>20374604
>female
this is ironic right?
>>
>>20376503
There are good women writers out there anon. Not every woman writer in history was a virtue signaling BLM ACAB blue checkmark.
>>
>>20371917
Some of what they wrote *was* dogawful godshit
>>
>>20366796
Isn't that the point of a writer?

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.