[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/lit/ - Literature

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 81b6e-dc41L.jpg (362 KB, 1603x2560)
362 KB
362 KB JPG
Do you actually read Dostoevsky and understand the text or are you just pretentious and smug? I think his books are so hard to get through, like the further I read, crimes and punishment feels more like a second job just to keep track of all the events that probably are full of subtext I won't recognize anyway
>>
>>20363521
C&P is on the fucking school curriculum in most post-Soviet countries. If a turko-snownigger teenage alcoholic mutt from Kazakhstan can get through it, so can you.
>>
>>20363521
Just read the book two or three times if you don't get it the first time.
>>
>>20363521
I read Dostoievsky while in college and mostly I didn't find it too hard to read (I also found it mildly difficult to read engineering stuff I can't dream of understanding anymore). I read it in French in the well annotated Pleiade edition. Dostoievsky sometimes thinks in French and some pages have more than a few French words, so I think it makes it easier to translate and read in French (my mother tongue).

There are subtleties and you're probably bound to miss some of them, but it's not like Proust where you can miss what you call the subtext for an entire chapter. I didn't read a lot of Goethe (my German is barely good enough to read von Kleist, even Thomas Mann and Ernst Jünger are difficult for me), but often you just marvel at critics and scholars trying to find meaning behind things that maybe are simple or self-explanatory. People have written books about the "Eternal Feminine pulls us upwards" quote from Faust (Das Ewig-Weibliche zieht uns hinan) which probably wasn't meant to mean anything difficult.
>>
>le Dostoevsky is deep
It's hard going because its a overly long victorian novel
>>
>>20363521
i finished reading notes from underground last night
that ending and last 40ish pages stuck with me
>>
>>20363521
crime and punishment is nothing compared to brothers karamazov, in page count and enrichment.
>>
>>20363521
read it, then read someone’s analysis of it
>>
>>20363521
lol just read analysis. this book is studied in Russian high-schools. The BK are another matter, this is really a swamp.
>>
>>20363521
Meh, I've tried to read Dostoevsky a few times and never got past the first 50 pages or so. I still think he's one of the most important writers ever to live, simply because of the influence he had on Christianity (plus he had based politics), but I just don't have the patience to sit through all that shit.
>>
crime and punishment is long but it's pretty easy reading.

something like demons is harder.
>>
>>20363540
The vast majority of students don’t actually read assigned books, they just use websites like spark notes
>>
>>20363572
>Dostoievsky sometimes thinks in French and some pages have more than a few French words, so I think it makes it easier to translate and read in French (my mother tongue).

>be me (russian)
>read War and Peace in high school
>there are literal pages written entirely in French, and many scenes, especially the ones related to high society gatherings and balls have separate sentences and words in French randomly thrown all around the text
>>
>>20363577
>victorian
>written in Russia, by a Russian, taking place in Russia

>>20363677
>simply because of the influence he had on Christianity
Which is?

>>20363521
Dostoyevsky is literally babby's first existentialism, not terribly difficult. There isn't much subtext either, he was working under the realist paradigm after all and the interest is in the material situation that is presented literally, nothing hidden or allegorical.
The structure of his novels is admittedly messy, but at worst you have to write down the names of new characters for the first 50-100 pages and the rest goes well.

>>20363804
A пoчeмy этo пpoблeмa? Пepeвoды нaхoдятcя в бyквaльнo кaждoм coвpeмeннoм издaнии.
>>
>>20363521
Dosto isn't even hard to read. Your post would make more sense for an author like Nabokov
>>
File: nerdfacecover.jpg (245 KB, 1200x675)
245 KB
245 KB JPG
>>20363915
>he was working under the realist paradigm
lol shut the fuck up
>>
He's not hard to read.
>>
>>20363915
>hurr sure you said victorian where I would have said 19th century I am so very clever
>>
>>20363915
Этo нe пpoблeмa. Пpocтo интepecнaя дeтaль.
>>
>>20364094
>unironically posting Twitter memes on 4chan
>>
i agree that he is not hard to read. you need to pay more attention... or get a book from different publisher. small prints kill me
>>
>>20363521
I know people definitely do not understand him because very few come out with a greater appreciation and respect of Christianity which was my primary take away from reading C&P and Dostoevsky for the first time.
>>
imagine getting filtered by crime and punishment.
>>
Is there a specific translation I should read or does it not matter
>>
>>20363778
>something like demons is harder.

also much more insightful, rewarding and worthwhile imo. C&P is cool but the entire thing is pulpy and the themes are pretty general and not that interesting.
>>
File: a man chooses.jpg (82 KB, 300x300)
82 KB
82 KB JPG
>>20363521
anon... I'm going to be honest with you. Dostoevsky stuff is really basic. Yes they're long but so is Les miserables. Most stuff in the 19th century and beyond are easy to read.

Dante, Milton, Goethe, Kant, Nietzsche, Shakespeare are harder to read imo

I should note just because something is easier to read that doesn't mean they're not profound. Quite the opposite with Dostoevsky actually - it's that very simplicity of complex ideas that makes him well worth reading
>>
>>20367392
I would say this is why he ended up in schools, C&P is perfect for introducing more difficult themes to teenagers, in a format their underdeveloped brains can handle and potentially even enjoy.
>>
>>20363785
Maybe in America,
>>
>>20367392
>Shakespeare
>harder than Dostoevsky
please tell me you're baiting
>>
>>20369482
>>Shakespeare
>>harder than Dostoevsky
Different anon, but if we're talking about both read in English; if Dostoevsky's difficulty is a 6, Shakespeare is a 9 or 10. The psychological portraits in Shakespeare are a lot more simplistic, but the language is some of the most difficult you can find
>>
>>20363521
Ah, you have discovered that Dosto is actually complete trash and is way over hyped!
>>
>>20363609
TBK is slightly better, but that's like saying a firm turd sandwich is better than a diarrhea soaked sandwich
>>
>>20363804
While I agree it harms the reading experience, in W&P it's pretty necessary to show the French influence on Russian society in relation to the conflicts that arise in the story/historical period
>>
>>20369551
>Dostoevsky's difficulty is a 6
lol
more like a 3
>>
dosto is glorified YA like dumas
karamazov is good though
>>
>>20369827
Dosto was a degenerate pulp fiction writer who was paid by the word to fuel his insatiable gambling addiction. If you like his work you are the literary equivalent of a soccer mom picking up a harlequin romance novel in the check out line at the local super market.
>>
>>20363785
this
>>
>>20363521
Personally, I've only read Notes from Underground so far, but it felt pretty easy to get through. Seemed much less wankery than older prose usually feels to me. Even when the writing style was pretentious, that was obviously purposeful, in line with the character he was writing in the perspective of. Maybe someone who hasn't also experienced crippling self-loathing would find it hard to grasp what he was getting at, but even then, I don't think most people would struggle with gleaning some meaning from the book too much. Maybe Notes isn't so bad because it's fairly short.
>>
File: c36.png (274 KB, 600x572)
274 KB
274 KB PNG
>>20363521
>>20369600
>>20363677
>>20363778
>>20369564
>>20369827

I hate smoothbrains like you so much, this board is better off without you. It's not enough that faggots like you unironically get filtered by Don Quixote in that thread.
>>
>>20370648
Dosto was a degenerate pulp fiction writer who was paid by the word to fuel his insatiable gambling addiction. If you like his work you are the literary equivalent of a soccer mom picking up a harlequin romance novel in the check out line at the local super market.
>>
Even if you're too retarded to "get" them Dostoyevsky's works are full of high drama and crazy over the top dialogue. His stuff often reads more like a play than a novel.
>>
>>20371341
Yes, his characters often just blurt out the most random and stupid things, and a lot of the time it's incredibly inappropriate. To be honest, almost all of his characters are completely manic.
>>
>>20371341
>crazy over the top dialogue
im from the balkans and the dialogue is the most natural ive ever seen in any book. its literally how we talk, foreigners just dont get it through translation
>>
If you're not used to reading stuff from the 1800s or from the Russians I could see struggling with it a little but he's pretty simple compared to most other classic "literature" (whatever you want to include in that, it's probably more difficult than Crime and Punishment)
>>
>>20363521
>Do you actually read Dostoevsky
No, god no, I just drop his name to appear well-read.
>>
>>20367392
>Umm, sweety?
>you realise the Principa Mathematica barely contains any polysyllables, right?
>why would it be hard to read at all LMAO
Dosto is a lot easier to read, in that the diction and syntax are nothing especially mentally taxing, but that says nothing as to the depth of the themes. C&P is very easy, yes—it is curriculum—, but it's ludicrous to believe that the average person who reads it can even see below the surface of the themes, which really do encompass just about anything of any importance.
>>
>>20371364
>balk-nigger literally trying to one of us with Russians
Lmao. Go and till the turf, serf.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.