[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/lit/ - Literature

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 1640487308934.jpg (1.06 MB, 1131x1259)
1.06 MB
1.06 MB JPG
Here is the first verse

Up high, we're climbing up the hillside
To play in the sunshine and the rain
Til it's time to tumble down the hillside
And sleep sound in golden fields of grain

My question is, is "sleep sound" grammatically correct in this context? Or does only "sleep soundly" make sense?
>>
>>20361546
>autism
Even if you are a hardcore prescriptionist you really should acknowledge that prescription has no place in verse. Either makes sense, context provides what we need to understand. Rhythm is what is needed here and choice is determined by syllables not prescription grammar. Unless you are trying to raise your kid to be more autistic than you are so you can feel normal.
>>
>>20361566
prescriptions? Anon, what are you talking about?
>>
>>20361546
sleep soundly
>>
>>20361566
Can you name some books on the topic or are you just pulling shit out of your ass?
>>
>>20361546
>is "sleep sound"
It's fine.

Let's have an OFFICIAL /LIT/ LULLABY THREAD.

Here's one to kick things off. To the tune of "Rock-a-bye baby" —

Rock-a-bye-baby
Time for repose
Daddy wants peace
To play MMOs.
While you're asleep
He'll grind on his main
Then we'll have breakfast
Rested and sane.
>>
>>20362482
>needs books "on the topic"
KEK
undeniable autism
>>
>>20361546
It's good op it's better than 90% of what /lit/ can ever create
>>
>>20362712
I can do better, but I won't because it would require effort.
>>
These verses are very nice and it’s very kind of you to take the time to put them together for someone. Thus, I don’t think here is the place for you, anon - I’m sorry you didn’t find much encouragement
>>
File: Cat guitar.png (658 KB, 497x498)
658 KB
658 KB PNG
Adorable, OP.
>>
If you're poor, it is unethical and immoral not to have aborted it.
>>
>>20361546
post more op
>>
File: 1023.jpg (88 KB, 1200x1200)
88 KB
88 KB JPG
>>20361566
>prescription grammar
I'm new to writing poetry (not OP)
Can you elaborate? What's the alternative to prescriptive grammar?
>>
>>20362617
>>20362712
>>20362795
>>20363007
Thanks, frens. I completed the lullaby.
https://voca.ro/1ecVAXUAOdq6
>>
>>20362409
He means prescriptivist
>>
>>20364071
Post the text faggot I'm not playing a 4chan vocaroo without headphones
>>
>>20364071
Thank you dad-anon. For a full minute I'd felt you were my real dad.
>>
>>20364303
Rude.
>>20364324
Glad you enjoyed it, anon
>>
>>20362409
>>20363436
Descriptive Grammar is essentially the practical everyday bit of linguistics dealing with how we use and form words. As its name says, it is descriptive and gives you the tools to describe how language is used, to analyze it. It is about understanding the language which you use. Prescriptive grammar just prescribes rules and offers no tools to analyze language in any meaningful way, you can only say how it fails to meet the prescribed rules. Prescription has never had any real success in the literary world, it is too limiting, works become clinical and analyses meaningless.

If you want to learn than get something like Oxford's Modern English Grammar or Cambridge's Students Introduction to Grammar and have at it. Cambridge is probably easier and better for most people, Oxford tends to be terse.
>>20362482
Which topic? I touched on quite a few, I can name books for them all except for raising your child to be more autistic than you are.
>>20364294
My spell check dictionary lacks prescriptivist and if I am not paying attention I sometimes give the spell check a little too much faith and just click on the first suggestion without consideration. But you finally got me to fix that and add it to my dictionary. Thank, anon.
>>
>>20363376
There can be no poetry after birth.
>>
>>20365355
We could have just googled this if you spelled it right in the first place lol
>>
>>20365787
If you read the entire post and exercised the tiniest bit of critical thinking you would have connected "prescriptionist" to "prescription grammar" and figured it out. Searching for "prescriptivist" would not have helped you in any meaningful sense if you could not put that together.
>>
>>20365816
>bro just play detective to figure out my dumb post
no thanks
>>
>>20365926
>if I can not ask google it is too hard
I am sorry to hear that.
>>
>>20364294
>>20365355
>>20365787
>>20365816
>>20365926
>>20365952
Pointless argument. "Prescriptionist" is a perfectly fine word to use for people who practice prescriptivism or linguistic prescription. "Prescription grammar" is kind of stupid, but honestly, if you had any doubt you could have just looked at the word (even without looking it up) and considered if that was the right inflection to use there (if you are a native English-speaker, what you wrote shouldn't even sound right). I must say by the way that: yes, it is obvious to anybody with two working braincells that you were talking about prescriptivism, so no you don't have to be a detective to piece it together; and even if you didn't get it (perhaps, because you never heard of this term before) than I'm sure Google would have made the connection for you after you looked it up. Suck muh dick, nigga.
>>
>>20366086
>and even if you didn't get it (perhaps, because you never heard of this term before) than I'm sure Google would have made the connection for you after you looked it up.
Wrong. Turns out "prescriptionist" is an actual word with it's own meaning.
>>
>>20367619
It is, I used the wrong word, that anon is a spaz. But anyone who actually could not figure it out and connect "prescriptionist" to "prescription grammar" may want to avoid descriptive grammar.
>>
>>20364071
You're a good father.
>>
>>20364071
B A S E D
A
S
E
D
>>
>>20367762
>>20368325
Thanks!

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.