[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/lit/ - Literature

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: downloadfile-4.jpg (62 KB, 474x631)
62 KB
62 KB JPG
Reminder: your appearance doesn't define you but does send signals to other people. Your life consists of your impact on other people and your reactions to the impacts of others on you.
>>
What signals this nigga Buddha sending?
>>
>>19744005
Kinda reductive aint it? I'll see Plato's words on the subject over yours.
>>
>>19744010
> I'll see Plato's words on the subject over yours
Which are?
>>
>>19744009
fr fr no cap >>19743490
>>
>>19744014
The man, das its philosophiche. It's really complex stuff about definitions and virtue being conceived as a teleological purpose you wouldn't get it man.
>>
>>19744020
Tell me anyway. Others will benefit.
>>
>>19744005
I just read Sun and Steel and it absolutely blows my mind that this guy who looks as fit as 50% of my friends and less fit than 25% had the temerity to suggest that his philosophy was tied to his physical pursuits. He is basically acknowledging a lack of depth in his thought. Throughout the book I, of course, knew what he looked like, and wondered why my mate who does yoga twice a week and looks as buff as Mishima doesn't seem to project a philosophy, or why my mate who could bench Mishima and goes to the gym a few times a week seems to have resolved to succeed in life without ever feeling the need to correlate it with his imperial grindset. I mean, FUCK, he's whatever you call a twink that got old.
>>
>>19744005
I don't give a fuck about other people
>>
>>19745061
You do realize that Mishima looks like that because he was a sickly DYEL in his youth and because the modern American sciences and practices of lifting for aesthetic did not exist during his time, right? Our ideas of bodily aesthetics are derived from Greco-Roman statues that were deliberately exaggerated for aesthetic value and it took us 2,000 years to achieve what to those people would look like Godhood. Asian fitness standards are historically much more subdued and practical; Mishima did not look like a Greek god but probably could have slapped you and your buddy's shit in a straight fight.
Its insanely ironic to be talking about 'lack of depth' to then turn around and say, "hurr durr his philosophy must be wrong because he doesn't work out the same way I do"
>>
>>19744005
Are his books hard to read? They sound interesting to me, but I don't read a lot, and worry I would just waste money on something I wouldn't understand.
>>
>>19745061
Your friends are big pharma / supplement industry experiments. Mishima is functionally fit which you may not like but it's peak performance.
>>
>>19745095
Dude, even Kouros statues look more buff than that guy.
>>
Solution: don't leave your house. All your problems simply vanish the moment you stop interacting.
>>
>>19745131
I am very seriously wondering what point you think you just made
>>
>>19745114
Hard to read? No. Lacking any discernible purpose beyond homosexual degenerate naval-gazing? Well it is Japanese literature...
Mishima's political writings are far more insightful than his novels; unfortunately many of them have never been officially published in the US and not reprinted in Japan since his suicide, so you'd have to track down secondhand translations (often from French) online. Even Sun and Steel is pretty hard to get ahold of in physical print these days.
I recommend just reading some of his translated political writing like The Anti-Communist Manifesto online and determining if you want to keep reading from there.
>>
>>19745131
It’s not about how big you are but the effort you put in, that’s the point - the struggle.
Plus Mishima has good physique for a natty jap manlet
>>
>>19745095
He does allude to his sickly youth in the book, but that doesn't really explain it. Bone health, yes, but a period of starvation affords metabolic health. I think that your suggestion that workout routines hadn't been perfected yet explains some of it, but tramps on NY st doing pullups on street signs look like they could fight 2 Mishimas. Personally I think he was essentially a bewildered fetishist trying to incorporate his kinks into a prioris.

>>19745130
They're not. Roid guys are about twice as large.
>>
>>19745146
That track and field teenage boys had larger deltoids?
>>
>>19744005
This is an awesome literature thread.
>>
>>19745095
None of you fags look like Greek gods.
Kys
>>
>>19745168
Cope fatty
>>
>>19745165
They also had a completely different physiology since they were Mediterranean and not Asians like Mishima. You know, a whole foot shorter on average? Living off a diet of mostly small portions of lean protein and rice instead of protein-rich legumes and feasts of beef?
Again I don't see what your point is. HIM NOT LOOK LIKE ME HIM AM STUPID - I'd call it racism but it sounds more like plain old stupidity.

>>19745189
I think you might have failed middle school English anon.
>>
>>19745213
You are the most upset person here.
>>
>>19744005
you're right OP. So make sure you do your best to appear as Mishimas diametric opposite to make sure people respect you. or you'll end up sudoku just like he did in the greatest shamefur dispray of all times
>>
>>19744005
t, 5'2 copelette
>>
>>19744009
He's fixin for Yamato bussy
>>
>>19744005
What if you look like the Elephant man?
>>
>>19744005
I like Mishima but he wasn't the first person to become obsessed with working out as a means to cope with being a manlet. Why is /lit so filtered by this? I get not recognizing he became a quasi-fascistic cult leader (4chan) but manlets working out because of their Napoleon complex is a pretty easy filter to pass through.
>>
>>19744005
Mishima wasn't even /fit/ though. I'm not the fittest guy but I bet I could take him in a fight.
>>
>>19745061
mishima would probably beat up and then rape you and your friends lol
>>
>>19746794
He was /fit/ but he was 5'1. As far as taking a manlet in a fight you have to account the fact that any challenge capable of forcing a manlet to accept their manlet status as well as have it displayed to the outside world basically consumes the totality of their existence and distills it into that exact moment--they can put their entire will into it. It almost makes you respect them--but then you remember they're a fucking manlet and it's literally because they're consumed by being a manlet.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.