[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/lit/ - Literature

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: images (91).jpg (52 KB, 640x480)
52 KB
52 KB JPG
I finished my first book from Vonnegut, Slaughterhouse Five. The ideas were great and the book was fine enough but there was something off with his writing. I can't put my finger on it. Maybe it's because English is my second language but I never felt this way in any other English text i read before. What are your thoughts on his writing and books?
>>
I read Slaughter House 5 on a plane and enjoyed the final line "poo-tee- tweet" I was near tempted to get it tattooed on my heart
>>
>>19460975
It’s proto-Reddit.
>the world is awful and bad things happen to good people with no rhyme or reason. I’ll use ironic detachment as a defense mechanism to avoid dealing with my feelings
This is best demonstrated by Billy Pilgrim’s ability to act as a spectator to his own life events as well as his conclusion that you should just accept the banality of evil and choose to ignore it and only concentrate on the “happy moments” like a fucking child.
“So it goes” perfectly encapsulates this incredibly puerile philosophy of moral nihilism and passive complacency in the face of evil.
I can’t believe that a veteran like Vonnegut, a man that actually went to WAR, could adopt such a cowardly philosophy.
He develops it also in Cat’s Cradle, where he now attacks religion, using the fictional Bokononist religion as a straw man to show how it’s all just a cope in response to living in an uncaring universe.
“We’re just like the islanders that keep themselves distracted by chasing after Bokonon’s phantom in the jungle so we don’t have to face the reality that the world is crap and then everyone dies because of Ice-9”.
This is the kind of filth that poisons the soul and turns you into an NPC, passively accepting the status quo and letting evil win because “that’s how it’s always been”.
I recommend anyone to stay away from Vonnegut’s writings, it offers absolutely nothing to the reader.
Read Jules Verne’s, H.G. Wells or Phillip K. Dick instead of this sad sack.
>>
>>19461076
cope
>>
>>19461076
The shoulds youve imposed on it show how much youve been filtered
>>
>>19460975
I really, really hate the way he writes. It’s trying so hard to be modern/edgy/intellectual that it’s just stilted and ugly. The stories he tells are so threadbare and malnourished that it’s more a thought experiment than a narrative; there’s no suspension fo disbelief ever.
>>
>>19460975
>but there was something off with his writing
His style is very casual and almost conversational, essentially mimics the conversation one has with themselves in their own head. This is more apparent and less weird in works like Galapagos where the narrator is less removed. Personally I enjoy this aspect of his writing.
>>
>>19462745
His style evolved quite naturally. He is one of those authors who got published before he even had a style and was consistently published as his style developed, not many authors have the evolution of their style as well documented as Vonnegut. You are the one trying to be edgy and intellectual.
>>
>>19460975
although i enjoyed him in my teens, looking back i consider him a bad influence. because of nihilism etc. although Vonnegut was constantly shilling his own sincerity. But you have to bear in mind both nihilism and sincerity sells good and at the end of day writer also is only a man trying to make living. Which was his case i guess.
>>
>>19460975
i totally agree, his style is irritating and sounds like a buzzfeed article
>>
>>19462799
>no u
Really? I’m not trying to be anything. I just dislike his writing style.
>>
>>19463002
You applied motive. If you had just said "I don't like his style" I would have ignored you, but you also said he was "trying so hard to be modern/edgy/intellectual" which is just asinine and ignorant or his motive. The bulk of his writing is just him trying to cope and find a way to believe that humanity was not fucked, that there was something of worth in the future for his children. Modern edgy, and intellectual is almost the antithesis of Vonnegut, which is why he is popular and widely read.
>>
>>19463097
Okay then, he’s just sincerely and earnestly a bad writer.
>>
>>19463149
No, you just sincerely and earnestly dislike him. I am not a fan of him myself, I like a few of his works (Player Piano and Mother Night) but overall his bitterness wears thin on me.
>>
>>19460975
qrd?
>>
>>19460975
so it goes
>>
>>19461076
>his is the kind of filth that poisons the soul and turns you into an NPC, passively accepting the status quo and letting evil win because “that’s how it’s always been”.

true, but i wouldn't say vonnegut's books are completely like this. he does make some good points and perhaps we shouldn't always focus on evil or else it will consume us

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.