[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/lit/ - Literature

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: eerie.jpg (129 KB, 1080x1078)
129 KB
129 KB JPG
Tips for writing short horror stories? What do you find creepy in writing?
>>
>>19458792
its niggers, niggers are the creepiest thing in writing. Dubs and this will be irrefutable
>>
>>19458792
Checkout Ligotti's interviews on horror
>>
>>19458792
1. Not clearly knowing the motives of the antagonist.
2. Also being at the mercy of forces/entities you cannot control, that don't even know or care that you exist and that they are trampling you.
3. Themes revolving around being trapped in a hellish dimension forever.
4. People or entities that have no empathy.
>>
>>19458792
Definetly the more explicit the horror element is, the less it is scary, at least to an adult reader.
>>
>>19459198
"DEEP ONES could be here" he thought, "I've never been in these ruins before. There could be DEEP ONES anywhere." The stench of grave felt awful in his nostrils. "I HATE DEEP ONES" he thought. The distant cultist chant of "Iä! Iä! Cthulhu fhtagn! Ph'nglui mglw'nfah Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn!" reverberated his Necronomicon, making it quiver with energy even as the 6.75£ whiskey circulated through his thick Caucasian veins and washed away his (merited) fear of eldritch abominations in waterlogged catacombs. "With a book, you can summon anything you want" he said to himself, out loud.
>>
>>19458792
Suffering
That’s the crux of it, anticipation, description and actuation of suffering always develops horror

Distant, unknowing, pervasive
>>
>>19459756
I still don't know the origin of this meme, could someone enlighten me?
>>
File: story.jpg (106 KB, 769x1024)
106 KB
106 KB JPG
>>19459814
>>
>>19459823
>(merited)
Keked, out loud
>>
>>19458792
There was one Dean Koontz book I read that was pretty bullshit, but there was a scene where a guy was walking through a house at night, and at the top of the stairs he saw something or other sat on the table, and when he came down the other way he saw that thing was missing.

I think sometimes horror writers try to go too balls to the wall when all it takes is writing some eerie occurrence to set the tone

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.