[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/lit/ - Literature

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 2018-01-02_09-18-28.jpg (72 KB, 720x935)
72 KB
72 KB JPG
This is something I found /lit/ wiki. And in the philosophy section all I found was Ligotti. Does anyone have the list and order of all the philosophy books for Pessimism? Thank you.
>>
Cioran
>>
Thanks OP. I'm super stoked to start on the Pessimism chart. I've a feeling these books are gonna be really good.
>>
>>19225344
Thanks. Which book to start with? He seems to have large number of books.
>>19225348
Your welcome.
>>
>>19225334
>>19225334
Terrible chart. Read the Dialogue of Pessimism (1000BC), Ecclesiastes, Al-Ma'arri, Leopardi, Schopenhauer, Mainlainder, Cioran, Larkin, Zapffe, Houellebecq, John Gray, etc.
>>
>>19225382
This.
>>
>>19225382
Thanks, anon.
>>
>>19225382
Leopardi isn't talked about enough on /lit/. Have yet to see the Zibaldone on a /bookshelf/ thread
>>
>>19225334
Pessimism is a misnomer for Asceticism which itself is but a preperation for mysticism.
>>
>>19225382
Honestly just stick to Schopenflappen
The only indispensible one
>>
>>19225530
>Have yet to see the Zibaldone on a /bookshelf/ thread
I have multiple smaller volumes that collect some parts of it, but no full one

La strage delle illusioni, il pensiero malinconico, il gallo silvestre e altri animali

>>19225334
I have saved some pessimism suggestions from earlier threads, now I have to go but I'll post them later
>>
>>19226005
>but I'll post them later
Thanks.
>>
>>19225382
Zapffe is kino.
>>
Everything listed in this thread is great but I highly recommend combining it all with Life 3.0 by Max Tegmark to truly instill a sense of horror regarding our possible future outcomes and developments.
>>
File: pessimism.jpg (161 KB, 1488x722)
161 KB
161 KB JPG
>>19226018
Here I am
>>
File: pessimism2.jpg (35 KB, 1496x231)
35 KB
35 KB JPG
>>19226764
>>
File: pessimis3.jpg (184 KB, 1481x740)
184 KB
184 KB JPG
>>19226770
>>
>>19225530
Check the archive, faggot
>>
File: pessimism4.jpg (142 KB, 1489x647)
142 KB
142 KB JPG
>>19226779
>>
>>19226770
>examples of suicide
>Jesus, Samson...
both died by the hands of their enemies betrayed by friends or loved ones. self-sacrifice, dying for a cause, knowingly walking into the arms of Death for a higher purpose etc. is not the same thing as suicide.
>>
>>19226764
>>19226770
>>19226779
>>19226791
Thank you.
>>
>>19226860
>self-sacrifice, dying for a cause, knowingly walking into the arms of Death for a higher purpose etc. is not the same thing as suicide.

>Pore Mosulishvili (July 20, 1916 – December 3, 1944) was a Soviet soldier of Georgian origin and partisan in the Italian resistance movement during the World War II. He was posthumously awarded the Gold Medal of Military Valor and the title Hero of the Soviet Union[1] for his heroic self-sacrifice.

>On December 3, 1944, Pore Mosulishvili, together with sixteen partisans, were surrounded by German forces. Nazis stated that if the commander surrendered, the others would be spared, otherwise everyone would be killed. The commander of group, named Edo del Gratta, didn't react. Mosulishvili, already wounded, told comrades to disarm and discard their weapons, exited the hut and told Germans: I am the Commander, but I prefer death to captivity! Then he shouted: Viva l'Italia! Viva i partigiani! Viva liberta! ("Long live to Italy! Live the partisans! Living freedom!"), put revolver to his throat and pulled the trigger. Although his comrades were subsequently taken prisoners, his self–sacrifice enabled to save their lives, as they were few months later, in April 1945, liberated by other partisan detachments.

---

«I would have used clemency to Sbardellotto and Schirru . [...] But Sbardellotto, twenty-two, who responded to the magistrate's invitation to sign the request for pardon, declaring that he only regrets not having carried out the attack; but Schirru anarchist, excellent fighter of the great war who shouts his faith in front of the firing squad, are men truly worthy of a better fate than the one that fate has reserved for them. "

Benito Mussolini to Yvon De Begnac

Both Michele Schirru and Angelo Sbardellotto plotted (in separate occasions) to kill Mussolini. They actually never attempted to, but both, found in possession of weapons, declared they wanted to kill Mussolini (please notice that they could have said, you know, literally anything else). As you can read Sbardellotto refused to ask for pardon, his only regret not actually killing Mussolini. Isn't this a suicide?
>>
>>19227062
Kierkegaard proposed the idea that the biggest sin is to lose hope despite knowing Christ saved your soul for you. I wouldn't call suicide per se a sin, but a distinction can be made between dying out of hopelessness and dying in hope of a good cause succeeding (that others may live, that evil is banned, that a soul is saved...).
>>
>>19227091
>Kierkegaard proposed the idea that the biggest sin is to lose hope despite knowing Christ saved your soul for you.
I'm in fact reading The Sickness unto Death and, to my understanding, Soren's point was exactly that you need to reach hopelessness to truly believe in Christ, otherwise you're just a bourgeois hypocrite conforming to society and their external requirement of "faith" without truly putting all your soul into G*D's Hands.
And I don't think he advocated for "dying in hope of a good cause succeeding": I mean, I'm quite sure he would have himself martyrized if that was needed, but, say, fighting the infidels to conquer Jerusalem? I don't think that was his thing, his Faith is all about your interior, not doing "visible" things.

But I'll agree that Churchyard is a complex thinker, there's not just one way to read his works.
>>
>>19226176
I wish his stuff would get a professional translation already. I’m not about to learn Riksmål to read one book.
>>
>>19227132
good point. well, Christ has lost hope on the Cross for a moment. maybe I should have said to lose hope completely and finally on every level including theological and metaphysical.
>>
>>19227141
Do you think it's possible to crowdfund a professional translation?
>>
>>19227091
Wouldn't Kierkegaard be an idealist?
>>
>>19225334
>Pessimist starter pack
>No Benatar
>>
File: 1513702039008.jpg (298 KB, 740x1035)
298 KB
298 KB JPG
>>19225530
>Have yet to see the Zibaldone on a /bookshelf/ thread
Someone rec'd it to me ages ago when I asked for recommendations of aphorism-based philosophy. It seemed interesting in the abstract until I learned it's 1,000+ pages.

I like reading those works one per night, I don't need to spend the rest of my life on some Italian's journal.
>>
>>19225530
you are new
>>
>>19228185
I'm a pessimist and Benatar is cringe. He is like the Sam Harris of anti-natalist philosophers, and his fans are like new atheists. Steer clear, everyone!
>>
Why am I seeing so many pessimism threads on /lit/ right now?
>>
>>19228269
What would you recommend over him?
>>
>>19225846
no it isnt.
>>
>>19228214
the problem with Zibaldone is there is some absolute gems in there but also a lot of inconsequential stuff about philology that I don't really care about and is a drag to get through
>>
>>19228294
Depends on what you want. Do you want someone whose main focus is anti-natalism, or is the author being a pessimist enough?
>>
>>19228214
>>19228419
I am>>19226005

The interesting thing of Zibaldone is that you don't need to read it front to back, it's like the Bible, you can just open it and read a passage.
>>
>>19228287
What's wrong with that?

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.